PDA

View Full Version : Improved offense comes quickly for Spurs' Parker

TMTTRIO
11-09-2005, 01:46 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110905.1C.BKNspurs.parker.2f023a0.html

Improved offense comes quickly for Spurs' Parker

Web Posted: 11/09/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Nick Van Exel sympathizes with Andre Miller. And Eric Snow, Damon Jones, Jason Terry, Chris Duhon and anyone else who has watched Tony Parker bolt past them.

As the Spurs' backup point guard, Van Exel often guards Parker in practice — a job that has grown increasingly more difficult.

"He's not rushing things any more like when he first came into the league," Van Exel said. "He waits on his openings a lot better. And he's finishing everything, too."

Just ask the Chicago Bulls, whom Parker dusted for 22 points in Monday's victory. Eight points came in overtime, including two when he left Duhon grasping at air after Spurs coach Gregg Popovich signaled for a timeout.

"One guy is not going to stop Parker," Bulls coach Scott Skiles said. "He has done it every game to every team. He's off to a great start."

The best start of his career, in fact. Through four games, Parker is averaging 22.5 points while shooting 58.2 percent — a considerable improvement over the 11.9 points on 37.8 percent shooting he averaged at the same point of his first four seasons.

"I see Tony as somebody who's trying to prove a point," Popovich said. "He's been hellfire since the season started, all through training camp ... He's probably our most consistent player right now."

The same couldn't be said at the end of last season. For the third consecutive year, Parker struggled in the playoffs after opponents adjusted to his quickness and packed their defense.

Parker showed little confidence in his jump shot and looked particularly skittish in Game 7 of the NBA Finals. That uneven play convinced Spurs officials to find him some help.

Not only did they sign Van Exel, the type of veteran backup the team has lacked since Speedy Claxton left after the 2003 championship, they also hired one of the game's best shooting coaches in Chip Engelland.

No longer were the Spurs — or Parker — willing to label his troubles as youthful mistakes. One of the league's bargains the past four years, Parker is beginning a six-year, $66 million extension that raises his $1.5 million rookie-contract salary to $8.4 million this season. Engelland's hiring, Parker said, told him the Spurs also were willing to invest in helping him improve.

"I just feel like I have a lot of responsibilities," he said, "and I have to play better."

So far, he has. In addition to scoring more than 20 points in three of the Spurs' four games, Parker has maintained his defense. He also had nine assists against Chicago, a number that would have been higher had his teammates made more of the open shots he created for them.

"He looks like he's playing at another speed than everyone else," Manu Ginobili said.

Said Tim Duncan: "He's controlling the game."

In Monday's overtime, Popovich called several middle pick-and-rolls, allowing Parker to shed Duhon before attacking Chicago's big men.

"He's one of the fastest, cleverest guys in the game," Duhon said. Van Exel called him "crafty and tricky."

"When you first come into this league you say, 'I'm going to use my quickness and get to that spot, and do this and do that,'" Van Exel said. "But guys know where you want to go and take advantage of you. Now, Tony knows how to read the defense and play with it and then get to his spot."

Although most of Parker's scoring continues to come at the rim, his daily work with Engelland also appears to be paying off. In the fourth quarter of the opener against Denver, Parker made all seven shots, most of which were from mid-range. Afterward, he joked that it was the first time a defender had jumped on his pump-fake.

Under Engelland's guidance, Parker uses his thumb in his release, similar to how he shoots his teardrop runner. The change also has been evident at the free-throw line, where Parker has gone 12 of 15. Last season, he shot a career-low 65 percent.

"With my outside shot, some nights is going to be good, some nights not going to be good," Parker said. "But at least I'm shooting the right way and feel like I'm improving."

That's not good news for those who have to guard him. Even in practice.

"At least," Van Exel said, "he's making me better defensively."

Go Tony :elephant

spursupporter
11-09-2005, 02:17 AM
lol. funny nick!

Spurzilla
11-09-2005, 02:48 AM
I loved seeing him at the free throw line in the game against the Bulls. Glad the Spurs were able to steal Chip Engelland away from the Nuggets... much to coach Karl's dismay.... I wonder if Chip is helping any of the other players? Anyone know?

xcoriate
11-09-2005, 04:41 AM
Duncan asked Chip for help with his free throws.

Bruno
11-09-2005, 06:22 AM
I loved seeing him at the free throw line in the game against the Bulls. Glad the Spurs were able to steal Chip Engelland away from the Nuggets... much to coach Karl's dismay.... I wonder if Chip is helping any of the other players? Anyone know?

Chip was hire only for TP.
First, Tony doesn't want to change his mechanic.
Steve Kerr (Chip helped him to improve his jumpshot) has proved to him that he has to change it to be consistent and to be an allstar.
Spurs hired Engelland and Tony really like to work with him.
For the moment they have only work on midrange shot (that's why TP doesn't shot any 3pt) when Duncan get doubled and on pic and roll (it's very specific).
First step : not to be worse than last year with his new mechanic
second step : 75%FT and 33%3pt
last step : 85%FT and 38/39%3pt

If others Spurs work with Engelland, it's marginal.

MI21
11-09-2005, 07:00 AM
I like hearing Van Exel call Parker, "Tricky and Crafty" at such a young age. We all notice Parker making things happen due to his pure speed, but he really is quite crafty with his fakes, hand switches, spins etc..

Solid D
11-09-2005, 07:24 AM
You can see a better rotation on the ball with TP's jumpshots. I also noticed on one closeup at the FT line the other night, TP was looking at his index finger location on the ball prior to shooting a FT. He made it.

Timmy - for now - seems to have better knee bend and follow-through on his FTs.

Jaffies' photo catches Duncan's form after release quite nicely.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/jaffies/spurs003.jpg

ducks
11-09-2005, 08:07 AM
"At least," Van Exel said, "he's making me better defensively."

wildbill2u
11-09-2005, 01:01 PM
I've been screaming for years about TD shooting his FTs flatfooted and consequently without any follow-through most of the time which makes their trajectory flat.

If TD improves his FTs and Tp improves all his shooting, we will be truly awesome.

I don't know why Pop resisted the idea of a shooting coach for so long.

50 cent
11-09-2005, 01:36 PM
:tu

Tony is the man.