PDA

View Full Version : [Part III] Who is SpursTalk's favorite 2020 draft prospect heading into November?

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 06:02 AM
This is the third poll in a series of polls gauging who is Spurstalk's favorite prospect of the month.

As with before, the poll assumes no trades happen during the draft for the Spurs to move up or down.

These 10 prospects are those who are likely to be there at our pick #11.

By popular demand, I'm adding 6'6", 100 lb, DeMar DeRozan-wannabe, Mr. 2 point chucker Devin Vassell into the poll and removing Tyler Bey.

Let's see if he fucks things up like how he fucked up the form on his shot recently.

A couple graphics using the data from previous polls:

https://i.imgur.com/5nLHBBr.png
Who's trending up and who's trending down from Part I to Part II:

https://i.imgur.com/pBVRKuP.png

Links to previous threads:

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286890
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287289

JuneJive
10-26-2020, 09:33 AM
After some research, I really like Lewis.

Was underwhelmed at first, but he looks worthy of #11th pick.

Also, Bane is quite promising.

MultiTroll
10-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Taco Falls younger brother. :bobo

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 04:17 PM
Taco Falls younger brother. :bobo

You're quite persistent with this one. You must be great at dad jokes.

Robz4000
10-26-2020, 04:49 PM
Ashdydbeu Vaysjaia from Hahwnsjstan imo.

MultiTroll
10-26-2020, 04:53 PM
You're quite persistent with this one. You must be great at dad jokes.
Tackos team made the Conf Finals and he shot 100%.
Spurs could use this type of infusion.

SpurPadre
10-26-2020, 05:24 PM
Surprised at how many people on this board are high on Kira Lewis and Jalen Smith, two guys that all the analysts have going late first or even into the second round in Smith's case. We reached for that Luka "Ham" Sammich last year, I don't want to reach again. I want a safer pick at #11.

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 05:34 PM
Surprised at how many people on this board are high on Kira Lewis and Jalen Smith, two guys that all the analysts have going late first or even into the second round in Smith's case. We reached for that Luka "Ham" Sammich last year, I don't want to reach again. I want a safer pick at #11.

Mock drafts give no indication of who is going to be successful. Consensus mock drafts are often wrong. Spurs don't follow the lead of amateur draft websites. Only 3 out of 10 of the top 10 end up being successful. You have the wrong mindset. Watch these players before you follow the crowd.

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 05:42 PM
Exhibit A:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716889-2017-nba-mock-draft-final-2-round-predictions

-Markelle Fultz going #1
-Lonzo being picked before Tatum, Bam
-Josh Jackson being picked at #4
-Dennis Smith being picked before a couple all-stars
-Frank Ntilikina at #8 LOL
-Zach Collins at #9 LOL
-Who the fuck is Justin Jackson at #16?

Tell me, why the fuck should we follow the consensus?

spurspl
10-26-2020, 06:07 PM
^ exactly, sometimes i wonder if anyone who creates this mock drafts at least watched one vid or looked on a stats of propects.

same thing with trade rumors/ideas. recently i read an article in which (bleacher report i guess) proposed a LMA and keldon for Love. and i was like daamn did anyone of them watch at least highlights of keldon in the bubble...

SpurSpike
10-26-2020, 06:50 PM
^ exactly, sometimes i wonder if anyone who creates this mock drafts at least watched one vid or looked on a stats of propects.

same thing with trade rumors/ideas. recently i read an article in which (bleacher report i guess) proposed a LMA and keldon for Love. and i was like daamn did anyone of them watch at least highlights of keldon in the bubble...

I saw that article and it almost made me puke.

ZeusWillJudge
10-26-2020, 06:54 PM
Exhibit A:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2716889-2017-nba-mock-draft-final-2-round-predictions

-Markelle Fultz going #1
-Zach Collins at #9 LOL

I don't disagree with what you're saying. A consensus of dumbshits isn't much value.

But Justin Jackson was from north Houston and a hell of a player at North Carolina. He reminded me a lot of Anthony Parker in college. I thought he was a pretty good flyer, especially in that draft. He hasn't lived up to what I had hoped for him, but I think he would do well to go overseas for a few years, just like Parker did.

Don't get me wrong, the mock draft industry has been getting stupider every year. Just when you think they can't get any worse, they do.

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 07:16 PM
I don't disagree with what you're saying. A consensus of dumbshits isn't much value.

But Justin Jackson was from north Houston and a hell of a player at North Carolina. He reminded me a lot of Anthony Parker in college. I thought he was a pretty good flyer, especially in that draft. He hasn't lived up to what I had hoped for him, but I think he would do well to go overseas for a few years, just like Parker did.

Don't get me wrong, the mock draft industry has been getting stupider every year. Just when you think they can't get any worse, they do.

Ditto.

All I'm saying is a "reach" of a pick is as good as a pick as a "safe" pick when you're an outsider (not employed by teams to scout). Not saying by any means that no one can ever spot talent if you're an NBA enthusiast, just that everything that is out there should be taken with a grain of salt. No one in the history of mock draft creation has ever been close to 100% correct.

Anyway,

Wow, look at that. Precious still has zero votes. He had the lead in Part 1 of the polls. Biggest choke in history???

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/app/uploads/2018/09/reggggg.png

PhantomDashCam
10-26-2020, 07:45 PM
Nesmith - haven’t heard any recent news about him. Anybody got any intel?
Still a big fan of Kira - feel he has star potential.

SpurPadre
10-26-2020, 08:17 PM
Exhibit A:

-Markelle Fultz going #1
-Zach Collins at #9 LOL

Not following the trend didn't seem to do us any favors in regards to Samanic, who looks like a complete and utter scrub at this point. We're lucky to have salvaged that draft with Keldon and Quindarry. I'm just saying, those two guys based on the strengths and weaknesses listed for them, they seem to be quite the reach at #11.

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 08:19 PM
Not following the trend didn't seem to do us any favors in regards to Samanic, who looks like a complete and utter scrub at this point. We're lucky to have salvaged that draft with Keldon and Quindarry. I'm just saying, those two guys based on the strengths and weaknesses listed for them, they seem to be quite the reach at #11.

So it's the Spurs fuckup if they get something wrong and they're only lucky if they get it right. Got it, man.

SpurPadre
10-26-2020, 08:23 PM
So it's the Spurs fuckup if they get something wrong and they're only lucky if they get it right. Got it, man.

I'm not going to extremes or looking to troll. I've been doing some research and I'm just surprised at the consensus here is all. This is arguably one of the most important drafts we've had in the PATFO era.

FutureMan
10-26-2020, 09:00 PM
I voted Vassell since he’ll probably be “best player available” but the reality is I trust the Spurs with most of the guys on the list. No matter what, I fully expect the Spurs to turn the 11th pick into a star or a solid role player.

rankingtear
10-26-2020, 09:16 PM

In April Smith was late first early second, but now smith and kira have been constantly mocked from 13-16 on more intel based boards. Bleacher, SI, Athletic, CBS, Ringer.

The Truth #6
10-26-2020, 09:26 PM
They will probably take Poku or Saddiq Bey if I had to guess.

DAF86
10-26-2020, 09:35 PM
Imagine a guy who is good at shooting, passing, dribbling, stealing, blocking and rebounding and not taking him at 11.

DAF86
10-26-2020, 09:46 PM
The thing with Poku is, if he does end up panning out you gonna be kicking yourself for years to come because nobody can say they weren't aware of his potential. It's not the same case as a Ginobili, for example, that trully came out of nowhere.

ZeusWillJudge
10-26-2020, 10:03 PM
Wow, look at that. Precious still has zero votes. He had the lead in Part 1 of the polls.

I have to admit, I didn't see where you were going by doing more than one poll, but it's kind of cool to see. I wish it was a bigger sample size, but that's not your fault. It's a pretty good piece of work.

Makes me wonder how much the teams' big boards migrate in the months leading up to the draft.

ZeusWillJudge
10-26-2020, 10:23 PM
The thing with Poku is, if he does end up panning out you gonna be kicking yourself for years to come because nobody can say they weren't aware of his potential. It's not the same case as a Ginobili, for example, that trully came out of nowhere.

You made me laugh thinking about that. Can you imagine being the guy responsible for drafting Dante Exum with the 5 pick? I remember people talking about him as a do-it-all kind of player.

You're right. With a guy like Poku on the board, those FO guys have to be totally puckered up. If you pass and he's a bust, you don't get any extra credit. But if you pass and he really lives up to all this press? Oh, you're a total idiot, because he really has been hyped like a unicorn. You got nowhere to hide.

Chinook
10-26-2020, 10:26 PM
Of that list, Lewis, Smith and 'smith remain my top three. I went back to 'smith this time because there is talk that he has better defensive potential than he's shown if he' can play the three in the NBA with that shooting ability, he can be special. Almost voted Lewis, since I think his agility is one of the best potential leverage points of any player in the draft. The positional need a potential fit with the other young players just let's Aaron edge him out. Smith is a good player too, and he could definitely be the best of the three. Giving Tim a young skilled big to help mold would be a nice test for him to see if coaching/player development is a long-term thing for him. I'm just not as sold on his chances of being special as I am with the others. With him being a decently high pick and playing at an undervalued position, it's not even clear that a solid Smith would be huge value contract. His ability to play PF would determine that for me, and I am not all that confident in that.

Em-City
10-26-2020, 10:27 PM
Imagine a guy who is good at shooting, passing, dribbling, stealing, blocking and rebounding and not taking him at 11.

who is that you speak of?

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 10:29 PM
I have to admit, I didn't see where you were going by doing more than one poll, but it's kind of cool to see. I wish it was a bigger sample size, but that's not your fault. It's a pretty good piece of work.

Makes me wonder how much the teams' big boards migrate in the months leading up to the draft.

Well, I hope it shows several things...

1) People can be fickle, swayed by the latest (or most popular) thing.
2) The scouting process goes through many changes. Imagine how actual scouts rearrange their board over and over. What a complicated process.
3) If you don't change your mind about any prospect at least once, you're not trying hard enough. You have to at least look at a prospect from all angles. What are our initial biases and are we aware of them? Sometimes you don't learn until you see the end result. You must question yourself and question others. Like Bruce Lee once said, "Be like water."
4. Each draft year is trial and error. I hope we all learn something about ourselves and the way we perceive players when it's all said and done.

Dejounte
10-26-2020, 10:48 PM
Of that list, Lewis, Smith and 'smith remain my top three. I went back to 'smith this time because there is talk that he has better defensive potential than he's shown if he' can play the three in the NBA with that shooting ability, he can be special. Almost voted Lewis, since I think his agility is one of the best potential leverage points of any player in the draft. The positional need a potential fit with the other young players just let's Aaron edge him out. Smith is a good player too, and he could definitely be the best of the three. Giving Tim a young skilled big to help mold would be a nice test for him to see if coaching/player development is a long-term thing for him. I'm just not as sold on his chances of being special as I am with the others. With him being a decently high pick and playing at an undervalued position, it's not even clear that a solid Smith would be huge value contract. His ability to play PF would determine that for me, and I am not all that confident in that.

Aaron really looks long. I really feel his wingspan is being understated. My guess is it's 7'1 or 7'2".

He's also one of my top character guys. Just oozes good guy charisma with intelligence. Doesn't have the "nasty" I'm looking for in players, but maybe his strengths will outweigh that.

The fact that he's a gym rat also has me sold on him. You don't have that type of body with poor work ethic. He must have exceptional work ethic.

DAF86
10-26-2020, 10:57 PM
who is that you speak of?

Pokusevski. The Marfan Demigod.

Em-City
10-26-2020, 11:14 PM
Pokusevski. The Marfan Demigod.

Ok i'll vote for him then

DAF86
10-26-2020, 11:28 PM
Ok i'll vote for him then

Thanks for the trust son, but I hope you put a little more thought into it on November 3rd, tbh. :lol

KobesAchilles
10-26-2020, 11:34 PM
Well, I hope it shows several things...

1) People can be fickle, swayed by the latest (or most popular) thing.
2) The scouting process goes through many changes. Imagine how actual scouts rearrange their board over and over. What a complicated process.
3) If you don't change your mind about any prospect at least once, you're not trying hard enough. You have to at least look at a prospect from all angles. What are our initial biases and are we aware of them? Sometimes you don't learn until you see the end result. You must question yourself and question others. Like Bruce Lee once said, "Be like water."
4. Each draft year is trial and error. I hope we all learn something about ourselves and the way we perceive players when it's all said and done.
I changed my vote bc I want a point guard for the team. I’m off the Murray bandwagon. I never hopped on the Quindary mobile and I just want someone who can run an offense and dribble the ball at this point. The fact that Lewisnhas all world speed is a bonus

DAF86
10-27-2020, 12:24 AM
I changed my vote bc I want a point guard for the team. I’m off the Murray bandwagon. I never hopped on the Quindary mobile and I just want someone who can run an offense and dribble the ball at this point. The fact that Lewisnhas all world speed is a bonus

Derrick White is our PG. I would prefer a big wing.

Em-City
10-27-2020, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the trust son, but I hope you put a little more thought into it on November 3rd, tbh. :lol

Jill Stein is still up for election, right?

tim_duncan_fan
10-27-2020, 01:34 AM
I'd be happy with Precious, Jalen Smith, or Isaiah.

Degoat
10-27-2020, 01:45 AM
I’ll be happy just to add a lottery caliber player but I really like Precious Achiuwa or Jalen Smith unless somebody surprisingly falls to us

buttsR4rebounding
10-27-2020, 04:20 AM

I chose PW because I think his game would compliment Samanic’s game best. I was very excited with Samanic’s play the final game and the reports of his physical development since.

look_at_g_shred
10-27-2020, 08:10 AM
Really feelin Nesmith lately

KobesAchilles
10-27-2020, 09:24 AM
Will Pop start Derrick White though? Will we have an actual point guard come off the bench if White does start? If we are trading Demar, who then is our secondary ball handler? Who can actually penetrate a defense on our team consistently? I'm not saying Kira is the best fit, ideally we would get a big wing, but I guess I just miss having a person on our team that can just burn a guy off the dribble. Come back Tony :cry

itzsoweezee
10-27-2020, 12:37 PM

YES

itzsoweezee
10-27-2020, 12:38 PM
Will Pop start Derrick White though? Will we have an actual point guard come off the bench if White does start? If we are trading Demar, who then is our secondary ball handler? Who can actually penetrate a defense on our team consistently? I'm not saying Kira is the best fit, ideally we would get a big wing, but I guess I just miss having a person on our team that can just burn a guy off the dribble. Come back Tony :cry

Dejounte would be a great backup point

itzsoweezee
10-27-2020, 12:38 PM

itzsoweezee
10-27-2020, 12:40 PM
Voted bey, but Nesmith looks great too. Not very familiar with any of the other guys other than Vassell and his now-broken jump shot

rjv
10-27-2020, 01:25 PM
Jill Stein is still up for election, right?

howie hawkins is the green party candidate this go around.

KobesAchilles
10-27-2020, 02:15 PM
Paying $16 million a year for a back up :lmao
What paying Mills 12.5 wasn't enough, so we gotta up it :lol

Prime BEEF
10-27-2020, 02:45 PM
Really feelin Nesmith lately
I’d pick Tyler bey if he was on the list but since he isn’t I picked Nesmith

Prime BEEF
10-27-2020, 02:46 PM
Agree that White should be the PG. but if that’s the case the FO should package Murray in a trade to get a better return.

TD 21
10-27-2020, 03:55 PM

I'd be surprised if he didn't and if DeRozan is back, I suspect the rotation will be similar to when Ginobili started. So White comes out mid 1st/3rd, re-enters late in the quarters, DeRozan comes out and rests until early 2nd/4th, then White gets another brief rest and returns mid 2nd/4th.

Agree that White should be the PG. but if that’s the case the FO should package Murray in a trade to get a better return.

When you say "PG", you really mean primary initiator right? As witnessed in "the bubble", DeRozan and White maintain those roles even alongside Murray and they're probably hoping Johnson can grow into that role sooner than later to replace DeRozan.