PDA

View Full Version : Sun Sentinel - Arenas pricetag dropping

picnroll
07-13-2003, 10:43 AM
link to article (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-heatnote13jul13,0,2735587.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat)

Wade makes his point at guard

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer
Posted July 13 2003

The Heat lost its final game of the Pepsi Pro Summer League but may have found its point guard of the future.

The Heat closed its five-game schedule in Orlando with a 75-68 loss Saturday to a similar group of young players and free agents representing the Detroit Pistons.

In the loss, which left the Heat with a 3-2 record for the week, first-round draft pick Dwyane Wade continued his shift to point guard with nine assists, his highest total in the five games, and no turnovers. He added a team-high 13 points.

"I certainly think it's a viable lineup now with him at the point," said assistant coach Stan Van Gundy, who guided the Heat's summer entry. "He has not looked out of place.

"I expected him to struggle more than he did."

A shooting guard at Marquette, Wade was used exclusively at point guard the past week. He was so effective in getting into the lane Saturday that Detroit was forced to shift into a zone. Van Gundy said the irony is the Heat has yet to get a read on Wade as a shooting guard.

The Heat was unable to overcome the 25 points of Pistons guard Tayshaun Prince, who had the best week of any player in the six-team field. The Heat went the latter stages without Wade, who suffered a minor leg injury in playing his fifth game in as many days.

Former Florida forward Udonis Haslem closed with 14 rebounds for the Heat, as he looks to get to the NBA after spending least season in France.

"That guy just goes and gets everything," Van Gundy said. "He just competes and competes and competes."

BROWN OUT

The decision by former Heat forward P.J. Brown to remain in New Orleans with a reported four-year, $40 million contract with the Hornets does little to alter the Heat's approach. Coach Pat Riley said he is not in position to add a complementary player with his $11 million in cap space. ...

With Brown off the market, the Heat figures to have a tougher time in replacing Alonzo Mourning, with teams such as the Nuggets and Spurs likely to now turn their attention to the likes of Rasho Nesterovic, Michael Olowokandi and Brad Miller. Denver and San Antonio both are in position to outbid the Heat. ...

Should the Heat turn its attention to the Clippers' Elton Brand, it likely only would be able to make a dent with a creative offer sheet. The power forward, a restricted free agent, already has been offered a five-year, $65 million package by Los Angeles.

MAGGETTE TAKEN?

Word the Nuggets are poised to extend an offer sheet to Clippers forward Corey Maggette figures to be of interest to the Heat. Once a restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet, he becomes bound to either his current team or the team making the offer. Riley has spoken highly of Maggette's prospects for emerging as an elite player. ...

Interest in Warriors free-agent point guard Gilbert Arenas, a player who has intrigued Riley, appears to be waning. Utah has reportedly opted against a bid and Denver is not believed to be willing to offer more than $7 million as a starting point. Riley's interest is believed to be at an even lower figure. ...
Free-agent point guard Tyronn Lue said he has received interest from the Heat, but has expressed a preference for Denver, where he visited Friday.

If a lot of this cap money is carried over util next year Manu is going to likely gets some hefty offers, particularly if he has a solid year.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 10:52 AM
I like Ginobili and all but if the Spurs did sign Arenas now then they are guaranteed to have some talent for the next 6 years or so coming out of this summer. The Spurs could 'save' some of their cap flexibility for 2004 and Ginobili could decide to tango with another franchise anyways. If Arenas is ready to sign on the dotted line with the Spurs you do that and go from here.

The #s I've seen for Nesterovic ($8 mil starting?) are excessive for his level of talent. At that price I'd rather they start Rose, sign Arenas, sign a couple of veteran bigmen for the bench, and 'save' that caproom for the people's hero Manu.

And then there's always Odom...

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 10:54 AM
With their remaining cap room they could attempt to work out trades for some bigmen under contract.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2003, 10:55 AM
I know this is homerish wishfull thinking, but there has to be something about nestervoich to make Pop want him so bad.

Pop doesn't go after shitty players, he just doesn't.

but yeah, I'd pick up arenas this year too.

exstatic
07-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Odom is really under the radar now. A while ack you heard that the Spurs were interested in him. Now, not even a peep.

If we have to sign a guard, I would prefer to sign Maggette, who can at least steal some minutes at the three spot. I think that Parker arenas backcourt at 6'2" and 6'3" is a bit on the small side.

picnroll
07-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Arenas is a long 6'3', long arms, excellent leaper. He and Parker could be a Isiah/Dumars combo given Areans would get discipline and paly D. I think the problem is he's got a $8 million dollar body and an 8 cent head and that's what's scaring everybody. Heck of a talent though.

Prince is really coming on strong. I wonder how hard the Pistons would contest an offer to Hamilton. Don't think he's a great fit for need though.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2003, 11:13 AM
I think the clippers free agents are going to be difficult to have. I honestly think the only one leaving this year is Miller.

Maggette maybe also, but I Think we will see Odom and Brand back in Clipperland. Bummer.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 11:15 AM
True ex. The thing is that Maggette and Odom are both restricted free agents though...with the same team.

Arenas is starting to look like the 'most available' talent available. And he's all of 21 years old. Maybe it's time for the Spurs to go with the young and explosive TP & Arenas combo? Defensively it is not optimal but on offense the Spurs should never have a problem putting up points ever again. Force your opponent to play your game.

I'm not saying that Arenas is on Kidd's level but this could be a younger version of what the Spurs had in mind with TP & Kidd. Of course, with Kidd he's an established player. Arenas is just laying claim to his place in the league.

ducks
07-13-2003, 12:02 PM
wade was a good pickup for the heat

MI21
07-13-2003, 12:03 PM
A while ack you heard that the Spurs were interested in him.

I never read or heard anything about this Ex. In what context was the Spurs interest, and did the Spurs sounds serious in there liking of Lamar?

Also, i knew PnR would be in here pimping Arenas! :lol

picnroll
07-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Also, i knew PnR would be in here pimping Arenas! :lol

Be fair now MI21 as Arenas stock rose and it became more apparent he was a headcase my pimping declined. I no longer frontseat on the Arenas bandwagon. Fell off the bus but desperate times may call for desperate measures.

If nothing else someone should use Arenas as an example to TP to point what happens to your value if you get the reputation of causing problems.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Perhaps the Spurs could help Arenas be all that he can be.

MI21
07-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Be fair now MI21 as Arenas stock rose and it became more apparent he was a headcase my pimping declined. I no longer frontseat on the Arenas bandwagon. Fell off the bus but desperate times may call for desperate measures.

Not saying it was a bad thing!

Dude is 21 giving you 18/6/5. He should have teams knocking on his door the whole offseason. If he ever gets rid of these problems everyone is going on about, he could be something special.

I'd love him as a Spur if he would fit in, in terms of style and needs, which im not sure he does.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Perhaps Arenas' problems are due to a case of immaturity? He's only 21. With Duncan and Parker on the floor a perimeter player who can put the ball in the basket could really open things up. And don't forget that SJax or Ginobili would be the other player on the perimeter.

NCaliSpurs
07-13-2003, 12:50 PM
The #s I've seen for Nesterovic ($8 mil starting?) are excessive for his level of talent. At that price I'd rather they start Rose, sign Arenas, sign a couple of veteran bigmen for the bench, and 'save' that caproom for the people's hero Manu.

And then there's always Odom...

I think we are on the same page here. What has steve francis accomplished that this guy hasn't? Their stats and body type are similar. I would even consider their style of play to be similar to some degree. Why aren't we desperately seeking him?

Let's say F' it and grab the most talent we can. We can always trade them later.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 12:55 PM
My understanding is that the Spurs are exploring all of their options.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2003, 02:51 PM
Come on guys, be kind to Arenas.

Stephen Jackson was also considered a headcase before joining the Spurs.

We could get him under control, I'm confident in it.

All I know is (well, I know ludden's not reporting everything) if we just end up with Rasho this summer and save the rest, I will be severely disappointed in our front office, and we will be the laughing stock of the league.

Things are looking pretty grim right now, which means Pop and RC are fixing to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

AHF

exstatic
07-13-2003, 03:02 PM
MI21 - I think it was in one of the earlier Express-News columns. I just thought that it was funny that he was omitted from this list.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2003, 03:03 PM
I would be happy with an Odom/Arenas haul this summer.

AHF

MI21
07-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Odom and Arena's would definitly give the Spurs a different looks, and a very versatile one that we are not used to :)

But at least on of Bowen/Ginobili/Jackson and perhaps two, would have to go to stop problems in my opinion.

IcemanCometh
07-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Didn't Pop once sign Cherokee Parks Samaki Walker and Jaren Jackson?

timvp
07-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Give Arenas a 6-year $54M contract. He gets his $9M deal and the Spurs only use $7M of this year's cap space.

Pair him with Parker and you'll have the best backcourt for the next 15 years.

Do it.

Dunkel Weizen
07-13-2003, 07:34 PM
With the addition of Arenas, the Spurs still could run that dual-point offense they allegely were planning with Kidd.

In this case, Parker plays Kidd's role and Arenas becomes the 'combo' player.

I have a hunch that SA would not be that high on Arenas' list, tho. He's likely to want to make himself a bigger star rather than share the spotlight with Parker and Ginobili in the Spurs' backcourt.

Oh, and I've heard rumors that Manu is a 'lock' to stay with the Spurs, so I guess we should start discussing who might replace him when he signs elsewhere.

(JK. If the Spurs are in the ballpark $-wise, they're the incumbent, so they win.)

genghisrex
07-13-2003, 07:52 PM
I'm all for Arenas at this point. Gilbert needs plenty of work on his defense, but he certainly has the athleticism to improve there. TP, Arenas, and Manu would give us a potent, exciting backcourt to complement Duncan. Stephen would see his minutes cut this season, but the Spurs should still try to re-sign him and keep grooming him as Bruce's eventual replacement. As much as I hate Rasho, if the Spurs were to sign him, at least Arenas and Manu could help make up for his awful rebounding.

grjr
07-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Yeah, Dunkel. If we sign Arenas then we'll see how much of a "lock" Manu is to resign here. I'd put the odds at just under "no fucking chance".

jr