PDA

View Full Version : Mohammed to test market

ducks
11-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Benching not getting Thomas down
By Mike McGraw
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Tim Thomas was conspicuous in his absence from Monday’s loss to San Antonio. The 6-foot-10 forward was the only Bulls player in uniform who did not see action.

“I think he’s healthy,” coach Scott Skiles said following Tuesday’s practice at the Berto Center. “It’s just that we’re playing at a level right now in practice and in games I haven’t seen Tim get to yet. It’s pretty much up to Tim (whether he plays).”

Thomas, 28, arrived from the New York Knicks in the Eddy Curry trade with a long-standing reputation as an underachiever and a poor defender. When Thomas’ apparent wealth of basketball talent was brought up, Skiles had an interesting answer.

“There are lots of talents,” Skiles said. “Working really hard and being committed I think are talents, too. It’s not that Tim hasn’t. But we’ve got several other guys that are at a level that so far Tim hasn’t gotten to.”

Thomas didn’t get worked up when told of Skiles’ comments. He had a slow start in training camp because of two ankle injuries.

“That’s his opinion,” Thomas said. “I’m a mentally strong person. Things like that are not going to bother me. I’m ready to play. I feel good.”

Of course, after sending out a clear message that Thomas needs to work harder, Skiles softened his comments.

“It’s not like Tim’s banished to the bench or in the doghouse or anything like that,” Skiles added. “Tim may play a lot (tonight). I don’t know.”

Mohammed to test market: This might be the first of a season-long series of stories. San Antonio backup center Nazr Mohammed, a Chicago native, will be a free agent next summer and the Bulls obviously need more big men.

Asked about the possibility of returning home, Mohammed pointed out that first he wants to win another championship with the Spurs. San Antonio does have Tim Duncan, Rasho Nesterovic and Fabricio Obertro already under contract, so their desire to keep Mohammed remains to be seen.

“First and foremost, I want to stay here in San Antonio,” Mohammed said. “At the same time, I want to go out there and see what’s my market value and take it from there.”

The 6-foot-10 Mohammed, 28, probably is best suited to being a backup player. He has averaged 7.3 points and 5.7 rebounds for four different teams.

“It wouldn’t be hard at all (to play in Chicago),” he said. “It’s home. It would have been hard to come here and play fresh in the league, not knowing what the league’s about. This is my eighth season. I’m pretty much stable in my life and things like that. So I can handle playing anywhere.”

Duhon nursing sore knee: Bulls coach Scott Skiles ruled Chris Duhon questionable for tonight’s game against Golden State. Duhon missed Tuesday’s practice because of a bone bruise on his right knee, which happened on opening night when he collided with Charlotte guard Raymond Felton.

“I’m just trying to fight through it,” said the second-year point guard. “Some days it feels good and some days it doesn’t. I’m not going to let injury hurt our chances of winning. I’m going to go out and compete and just put it on the back burner.”

Still, Duhon stopped short of predicting he will play tonight. He ranks third in the league in assists at 9.3 per game and has a ridiculous assist-to-turnover ratio of 9-1.

“Depends on how it feels when I wake up,” he said. “(Tuesday) I couldn’t move it at all.”
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp?id=116430

Solid D
11-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for posting. Nothing significant in his comments, though other than a feeling of stability in his life.

Regarding Duhon's knee:
“Depends on how it feels when I wake up,” he said. “(Tuesday) I couldn’t move it at all.”

Trying to keep up with Tony Parker has caused many a sore ankle or knee.

TheTruth
11-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Hard to believe Tim Thomas is still only 28. Seems like he has been underachieving for almost 15 years now.

What else is Nazr gonna say? He's gotta play the money game.

George Gervin's Afro
11-09-2005, 09:57 AM
I think Nazr should test the market.

gameFACE
11-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Mohammed should test the market at this point. He's earned it being the starter on last seasons playoff squad. Truth is no one else wants Rasho. You can't trade him for an injured Abdul-Wahad. So the Bulls then are more likely to be interested in Nazr than Rasho. Rasho's emotionally attached fans and the ladies who have crushes on him can be comforted right now. But if Rasho slips.............................

DesiSpur_21
11-09-2005, 10:03 AM
As long as he gives 100% effort on court, I don't care. Actually it'd help him either way (spurs will find a way to re-sign or he'd get a better deal outside) if he plays well.

MiNuS
11-09-2005, 10:07 AM
this is a win-win situation no matter what anyone says.
In about a month we should see Nazr replacing Rasho as
the starter and holding it until the end of the year.

ploto
11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
The only thing that surprises me is that he would comment on it at all. Usually players when asked about things like this simply say that it is something they will think about next summer.

“At the same time, I want to go out there and see what’s my market value and take it from there.”
Translation-- he won't be a Spur next season because the Spurs expect you to come or to stay for less than market value-- see Manu, Rasho, Brent, Finley, Horry. You are supposed to appreciate being here enough to take less money.

SenorSpur
11-09-2005, 10:52 AM
As long as he gives 100% effort on court, I don't care. Actually it'd help him either way (spurs will find a way to re-sign or he'd get a better deal outside) if he plays well.

I agree. So long as he help us win another championship, I don't care. We'll deal with it this summer.

Duncanoypi
11-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Trade Nazr or Rasho for Tim Thomas....

AI-square
11-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Test his market value? LOL.. I think he should be happy with anything the Spurs would be willing to offer him. Beg Pop and the GM if necessary...

angel_luv
11-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Thank you Nazr. You are free to go. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
“At the same time, I want to go out there and see what’s my market value and take it from there.”
Translation-- he won't be a Spur next season because the Spurs expect you to come or to stay for less than market value-- see Manu, Rasho, Brent, Finley, Horry. You are supposed to appreciate being here enough to take less money.

Some people have short memories. Drob did the same thing prior to his last deal, as well.

DesiSpur_21
11-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Trade Nazr or Rasho for Tim Thomas....

???

why r u so high on him?

T Park
11-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Thank you Nazr. You are free to go

Switch Nazr with Oberto or Nesterovic, and yeah you got it right.

SA Gunslinger
11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
this is a win-win situation no matter what anyone says.
In about a month we should see Nazr replacing Rasho as
the starter and holding it until the end of the year.

Nazr > Rasho

JamStone
11-09-2005, 03:10 PM

At the time, Manu did not come to stay for less than market value. He was just about worth what he got. I think his best offer was from Denver and I don't recall them wanting to pay more than what the Spurs ended up giving.

Rasho's market value was higher than what the Spurs gave him? Is that so? Back in the summer of 2003, he was worth more than $40+ million? Honestly, i didn't know that.

And, love TP all you want, but the Spurs DID overpay for Tony Parker. They didn't expect him to come back for less than market value. He threw a hissy fit over the Spurs' flirtations with Jason Kidd, and when the deal didn't work out, the Spurs gave a pouting Tony Parker too much money. That is the one contract that doesn't make much sense on this Spurs team, even if he keeps getting better. In a couple years he'll be making $12 million. Spurs are banking on TP being the franchise player when Duncan retires. Not sure if that was the most prudent move.

They also overpaid for Bruce Bowen. Love him all you want, but he's not worth the money he's getting. And, they gave a 35 year old Robert Horry a GUARANTEED three year deal. Reasonable, but guaranteed THREE YEARS?

Marcus Bryant
11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Even more reason why Mohammed won't be a Spur past this season or, more likely, next February.

SequSpur
11-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Nazr, Rasho and Ginobili for Kevin Garnett...

Do it.

ChumpDumper
11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Nazr, Rasho and Ginobili for Kevin Garnett...

Do it.Sam Smith Forum.

leemajors
11-09-2005, 05:09 PM
he can rotate properly on defense. the center on the spurs doesn't need to play much offense.

Kobayagi
11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Rasho's market value was higher than what the Spurs gave him? Is that so? Back in the summer of 2003, he was worth more than $40+ million? Honestly, i didn't know that.

I think the Wolves made a higher offer. If he was worth it or not, that's a whole different story :)

Tobias
11-09-2005, 06:09 PM
If you thought the reason we brought in Nazr was to re-sign him, you're delusional.

SA Gunslinger
11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
If you thought the reason we brought in Nazr was to re-sign him, you're delusional.

Why is it delusional?

Marcus Bryant
11-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Why is it delusional?

Think back to why the Spurs wanted to move Rose.