PDA

View Full Version : The two things that keep Republicans in power that will never change but absolutely should

Blake
11-02-2020, 08:21 PM
1. The electoral college

"On March 18, at a CNN town hall in Jackson, Miss., Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts called for shutting down the Electoral College. “I believe we need a constitutional amendment that protects the right to vote for every American citizen and to make sure that vote gets counted,” she said.

Republicans responded:

“The desire to abolish the Electoral College is driven by the idea Democrats want rural America to go away politically,” Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said on Twitter. His colleague Marco Rubio of Florida posted a similar note, calling the Electoral College a “work of genius” that “requires candidates for president to earn votes from various parts of country. And it makes sure interests of less populated areas aren’t ignored at the expense of densely populated areas.”

President Trump weighed in as well: “With the Popular Vote, you go to just the large States — the Cities would end up running the Country. Smaller States & the entire Midwest would end up losing all power — & we can’t let that happen. I used to like the idea of the Popular Vote, but now realize the Electoral College is far better for the U.S.A.”...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/learning/should-the-us-get-rid-of-the-electoral-college.html

Blake
11-02-2020, 08:23 PM
2. Gerrymandering

"Today’s Supreme Court ruling that the Constitution doesn’t bar even extreme partisan gerrymandering is the worst election-related decision since Citizens United, which in 2010 opened the floodgates for corporate money in campaigns. The Court just stacked the deck in favor of parties over voters—and laid the groundwork for yet more polarization...."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/06/gerrymandering-decision-worst-long-time/592843/

ElNono
11-02-2020, 08:25 PM
They're both fixable, tbh... add more States for #1, then for point #2, it's inevitable that if you keep on shitting on your constituency you can only play with maps for so long.

Blake
11-02-2020, 08:27 PM
They're both fixable, tbh... add more States for #1, then for point #2, it's inevitable that if you keep on shitting on your constituency you can only play with maps for so long.

They're both fixable if someone in power wants them fixed

SnakeBoy
11-02-2020, 08:30 PM
Another permanent one party rule fantasy thread

FrostKing
11-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Becareful what you wish for today. Massive demographic change is on the horizon and the Conservative demographics are booming.

pgardn
11-02-2020, 08:32 PM

Like you and orange man would not want that...

pgardn
11-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Becareful what you wish for today. Massive demographic change is on the horizon and the Conservative demographics are booming.

If you think all Hispanics are going Conservative.
Where the hell do you live? Antarctica?

baseline bum
11-02-2020, 08:37 PM

True, we should add DC, Puerto Rico, and Tamaulipas in time for the 2022 midterms.

SnakeBoy
11-02-2020, 08:39 PM

If you don't think party realignment has been occurring where the hell have you been living?

pgardn
11-02-2020, 08:42 PM
If you don't think party realignment has been occurring where the hell have you been living?

Yes Trump opened his arms up and said join us at the border, and tell your relatives who are citizens hola?

Sure some hispanics are, but you think this red team is really catering to this ethnic group? Right now?

DeadbeatDadCuck
11-02-2020, 08:42 PM
3. Toxic masculinity.

DarrinS
11-02-2020, 08:43 PM

Blake
11-02-2020, 08:45 PM
3. Toxic masculinity.

Is there a step dad in your life that's beating you down, derp?

pgardn
11-02-2020, 08:45 PM
3. Toxic masculinity.

hey derp
do you have all your alts listed in a black book?

Blake
11-02-2020, 08:47 PM
hey derp
do you have all your alts listed in a black book?

Probably just a simple word document

ElNono
11-02-2020, 08:50 PM

I don't get people that want that, tbh... that's how you end up as a banana republic...

ElNono
11-02-2020, 08:51 PM

I thought you were lashing out about the white man becoming a minority a few years back... I don't think demographics changed that much since then.

pgardn
11-02-2020, 08:52 PM
I don't get people that want that, tbh... that's how you end up as a banana republic...

Well you warned him.
Dont think he will mind, he will be in the ruling class.

spurraider21
11-02-2020, 08:54 PM
when one party is so shitty that it needs affirmative action to stay relevant thats an indictment on that party

pgardn
11-02-2020, 08:55 PM
I thought you were lashing out about the white man becoming a minority a few years back... I don't think demographics changed that much since then.

Texas is about 1 year away from a Hispanic majority.
Its a done deal.
The youngsters in reproductive range rule now. Old white people dying and younger whites not having as many kids per household.
I think the trend continues.

FrostKing
11-02-2020, 09:13 PM
Its a done deal.
The youngsters in reproductive range rule now. Old white people dying and younger whites not having as many kids per household.
Going even deeper, liberal whites have lower birth rates than conservative whites.

pgardn
11-02-2020, 09:20 PM
Going even deeper, liberal whites have lower birth rates than conservative whites.

Yep across most ethnicities, the more education, the fewer kids.
so your assessment would hold.

DMC
11-02-2020, 09:25 PM

He gets the pulse of the country from the liberal websites he frequents.

pgardn
11-02-2020, 09:28 PM
He gets the pulse of the country from the liberal websites he frequents.

The fly enters a different window...

What sites do you read on the world...? Circle of Trustyness

FrostKing
11-02-2020, 09:37 PM
I predict they will buy even more into the American Dream as their numbers and especially representation increases. At the moment neither party is doing a good enough job of catering to them. You would expect hispanics to be more highlighted in Hollywood than blacks. Conservatives have advantage of Catholicism back in Mexico.

diego
11-02-2020, 09:40 PM
reforming the electoral college was once on nixon's agenda. of course, the republican party actually had policies and ideas back then, so maybe not relevant to now..

for me its not about republicans, its the problem with representative democracy- one, you need good candidates for it to actually qualify as an election and money will always try to buy more representation, two since they are representing you, you need to be able to hold them accountable. And i think those problems have not really been fixed anywhere beyond doing a better job instilling a civic/national pride kind of honor system, but even then corruption manifests. Someone like Frostking lusts after japanese homogeneous society, and its true, when their executives or politicians get busted in a scandal, they will take the blame in a way that doesnt happen in the west. But the point is that even with that honor system, it doesnt stop them from actually cheating and stealing. so those for me are the roadblocks to a real democracy.

i think the US actually does a comparatively good job with local propositions going to vote, but the parties and business interests (and their media mouthpieces) corrupt the process

diego
11-02-2020, 09:42 PM
there are good simple reforms like ranked voting that would help

Blake
11-09-2020, 08:55 PM
"Colorado voters have decided to join a growing list of states that will decide a president by popular vote, the latest move in a national chess match over the way the United States elects its presidents.

Called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, the agreement calls for states to award their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote....."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/map-national-popular-vote-plan-replace-electoral-college-n1247159

FrostKing
11-09-2020, 09:01 PM
https://i.ibb.co/0QQ8QW1/20201109-175918.jpg

Import the new Blue Wave

Blake
11-09-2020, 09:10 PM

Import the new Blue Wave

Frosty must be having to fight them for jobs

FrostKing
11-09-2020, 09:22 PM
Frosty must be having to fight them for jobs
Indian programmers

Blake
11-09-2020, 09:29 PM
Indian programmers

You must really suck at it then

FrostKing
11-09-2020, 09:31 PM
You must really suck at it then
The Visa allows companies to hire 2 of them for the price of 1 of us Americans. Big Tech wins again.

Blake
11-09-2020, 09:39 PM
The Visa allows companies to hire 2 of them for the price of 1 of us Americans. Big Tech wins again.

Well then you should be pushing even more to make them full fledged American citizens.

FrostKing
11-09-2020, 10:28 PM
Well then you should be pushing even more to make them full fledged American citizens.
Haha

:tu

midnightpulp
11-09-2020, 10:33 PM

Import the new Blue Wave

Why aren't you in favor of this? Didn't you say the future is Latino?

Also, Latinos could potentially be a huge voting bloc for the GOP, but they've been massively incompetent over the years in appealing to them due to the GOP's need of them as "the other" to fire up the Redneck segment of their base (i.e. coming for yer jerbs).

Spurtacular
11-09-2020, 10:35 PM
CIA Times cos God forbid the board cuckold should have original thoughts. :lol

boutons_deux
11-09-2020, 10:42 PM

sure, but they won't fixed.

c-u guaranteed total corruption of the political class which now, beholden to, captured by BigDonor class, won't ever overturn c-u

scotus allowed partisan gerrymandering

abolishing the EC requires a Constitutional amendment, 2/3 of each chamber, 3/4 of the states, NEVER gonna happen

America is fucked and unfuckable.

Repugs shat on their constituency for decades, and they still vote Repug for God, gays, guns, knitters, abortion

Blake
11-09-2020, 10:47 PM
Haha

:tu

Good talk :tu

Blake
11-09-2020, 11:16 PM
CIA Times cos God forbid the board cuckold should have original thoughts. :lol

Says Derptube

Spurtacular
11-10-2020, 12:01 AM
Says Derptube

:cry Imma moar sophistuhmucated cos I can list CIA talking points :cry

:lol Board cuckold

Ef-man
11-10-2020, 12:19 AM
Dense derp is beyond salvaging, sorry to say.

Being an incel basement dweller has not helped him but he has invested so much in the trump narrative that he has no life outside of that.

All you can do is pity the worthless bastard as his life will not get better and you can bet it will not turn out well.

Says Derptube

Blake
11-10-2020, 01:09 AM
:cry Imma moar sophistuhmucated cos I can list CIA talking points :cry

:lol Board cuckold

Says Derptube

Winehole23
11-10-2020, 01:39 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmcLDkYUcAYI4NE?format=jpg&name=medium

Kurgan
11-10-2020, 04:11 AM
Its a done deal.

Hispanics are not a completely united voting block. A good portion of them are religious and they tend to lean Republican like Evangelicals. The Democrat shift in Texas is visible but it isn't going blue for another decade at least.

RandomGuy
11-10-2020, 02:10 PM
1. The electoral college

"On March 18, at a CNN town hall in Jackson, Miss., Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts called for shutting down the Electoral College. “I believe we need a constitutional amendment that protects the right to vote for every American citizen and to make sure that vote gets counted,” she said.

Republicans responded:

“The desire to abolish the Electoral College is driven by the idea Democrats want rural America to go away politically,” Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said on Twitter. His colleague Marco Rubio of Florida posted a similar note, calling the Electoral College a “work of genius” that “requires candidates for president to earn votes from various parts of country. And it makes sure interests of less populated areas aren’t ignored at the expense of densely populated areas.”

President Trump weighed in as well: “With the Popular Vote, you go to just the large States — the Cities would end up running the Country. Smaller States & the entire Midwest would end up losing all power — & we can’t let that happen. I used to like the idea of the Popular Vote, but now realize the Electoral College is far better for the U.S.A.”...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/28/learning/should-the-us-get-rid-of-the-electoral-college.html

With most of the economic power residing in cities... seems odd that we should give so much political power to people outside them.

rmt
11-10-2020, 02:53 PM
"Colorado voters have decided to join a growing list of states that will decide a president by popular vote, the latest move in a national chess match over the way the United States elects its presidents.

Called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, the agreement calls for states to award their electoral votes to the winner of the popular vote....."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/map-national-popular-vote-plan-replace-electoral-college-n1247159

Why in the world would any one (or state) give up their say [for the say of the rest of the country which might/might not be like/represent them]? That just doesn't make sense to me.

rmt
11-10-2020, 02:56 PM
I don't like the way California is run. Should I, as a Floridian, give up my say/vote for what they want? No way.

boutons_deux
11-10-2020, 02:58 PM
With most of the economic power residing in cities... seems odd that we should give so much political power to people outside them.

odd? It's the fucked up, archaic, anti-democratic Constitution: prefers land (state) over population for the Senate, disenfranchises citizens with the EC.

Neither can be changed, and both have been weaponized by oligarchy/Repugs to maintain minority rule.

while the EC and checks and balances were attempts, FFs assumed "good faith" of which the oligarchy and the political class have none.

democracy depends on the good faith and consent of the governed, but bad faith rules and the consent of the governed is ignored.

rmt
11-10-2020, 03:04 PM
I don't like the way California is run. Should I, as a Floridian, give up my say/vote for what they want? No way.

That is the ULTIMATE in following like sheep and having no say/voice.

Will Hunting
11-10-2020, 03:18 PM

Id like to see this as a ballot initiative in other states as well. Arizona, Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, and Maine for starters. I think all of those states allow ballot initiatives.

ElNono
11-10-2020, 03:24 PM

Because you're not in California? Who cares what a retarded Floridian thinks about California? This isn't about what you want.

Will Hunting
11-10-2020, 03:34 PM
Quite frankly it’s an epic fail by the Dems that they haven’t sought NPVI ballot initiatives as well as independent nonpartisan redistricting ballot initiatives in a state like Ohio, one of If not the most gerrymandered state in the union. That goes a long way towards solving both problems mentioned by the OP.

rmt
11-10-2020, 03:50 PM
Because you're not in California? Who cares what a retarded Floridian thinks about California? This isn't about what you want.

What are you talking about? People from Colorado are giving up their say/voice and giving it to the popular vote.

CosmicCowboy
11-10-2020, 03:59 PM

USAA imported a shitload of them. The HEB at Wurzbach and I10 is like a third world market.

ElNono
11-10-2020, 04:00 PM
What are you talking about? People from Colorado are giving up their say/voice and giving it to the popular vote.

No they're not. They're simply stipulating as a State how they will allocate their electors. They still vote and participate in the electoral process like anybody else.

They also have their local races to deal with local issues, and they're not giving that up either.

spurraider21
11-10-2020, 04:10 PM
it only takes effect when enough states representing a majority of the electoral votes are part of the compact

rmt
11-10-2020, 04:26 PM
it only takes effect when enough states representing a majority of the electoral votes are part of the compact

And this gets them closer - I bet it'll be North Carolina that gets them to the majority. People buy a bunch of BS - oh, it sounds so fine and wonderful - when in reality, you are giving up your OWN voice for other people's voices.

It's like this ALL voters in FL voting in any (party's) primary - so silly - don't people think that each party should choose its own nominee - not having the other party interfere with who your nominee is? But it sounds so nice - ALL voters get to vote - this terrible amendment got a majority of the votes but thankfully did not meet the 60% threshold.

rmt
11-10-2020, 04:29 PM
No they're not. They're simply stipulating as a State how they will allocate their electors. They still vote and participate in the electoral process like anybody else.

They also have their local races to deal with local issues, and they're not giving that up either.

Oh, so understated - it's a wolf in sheep's clothing (boy, 2 references to sheep today :-) Sounds so innocuous - it's giving up your state's voice for the voice of others.

rmt
11-10-2020, 04:32 PM

And that vote is meaningless if they are going to allocate their electors to whoever wins the popular vote - that's someone else's voice. If Colorado votes for a Democrat and by some (remote) chance, the popular vote goes to a Republican, Colorado's electors would be forced to vote for that Republican, correct?

rmt
11-10-2020, 04:46 PM

Why bother voting then - if the popular vote is going to determine who Colorado's electors are going to vote for?

ElNono
11-10-2020, 04:47 PM
Oh, so understated - it's a wolf in sheep's clothing (boy, 2 references to sheep today :-) Sounds so innocuous - it's giving up your state's voice for the voice of others.

And that vote is meaningless if they are going to allocate their electors to whoever wins the popular vote - that's someone else's voice. If Colorado votes for a Democrat and by some (remote) chance, the popular vote goes to a Republican, Colorado's electors would be forced to vote for that Republican, correct?

Why is it meaningless? They're part of the sum that makes up the popular vote.

spurraider21
11-10-2020, 05:05 PM
And this gets them closer - I bet it'll be North Carolina that gets them to the majority. People buy a bunch of BS - oh, it sounds so fine and wonderful - when in reality, you are giving up your OWN voice for other people's voices.

It's like this ALL voters in FL voting in any (party's) primary - so silly - don't people think that each party should choose its own nominee - not having the other party interfere with who your nominee is? But it sounds so nice - ALL voters get to vote - this terrible amendment got a majority of the votes but thankfully did not meet the 60% threshold.
the only people who give up their own voice are the ones who agree to the electoral college... unless you are fortunate enough to live in a state that is currently purple

Millennial_Messiah
11-10-2020, 05:07 PM
True, we should add DC, Puerto Rico, and Tamaulipas in time for the 2022 midterms.
that would require Mitch to say yes and he won't.

rmt
11-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Why is it meaningless? They're part of the sum that makes up the popular vote.

So, you mean instead of having 100% of what your state voted for (3.33% of 270 electoral votes) - you'd settle for the 1,753,416/76,443,314 (2.29%) and WISHING that your state voted with the popular vote. If my calculations are correct, this is shortchanging your state by 45.4%.

Millennial_Messiah
11-10-2020, 05:09 PM

NC voted red for both presidential and senate, it was close. GA was slightly blue. Atlanta is going to become like Chicago where a few blue counties dominate a high ECV state full of pretty much red counties for the rest of the state.

rmt
11-10-2020, 05:10 PM
the only people who give up their own voice are the ones who agree to the electoral college... unless you are fortunate enough to live in a state that is currently purple

What? Is someone FORCING you to live in a state that is red or blue?

rmt
11-10-2020, 05:15 PM
that would require Mitch to say yes and he won't.

Repubs must run the field for the rest of the Senate seats to retain control. I don't believe NC has been called yet, and Repubs winning the 2 Senate seats in GA is far from a sure thing (see how close the election was).

spurraider21
11-10-2020, 05:17 PM
you shouldnt have to move to a specific state for your vote to count in a federal election

Will Hunting
11-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Repubs must run the field for the rest of the Senate seats to retain control. I don't believe NC has been called yet, and Repubs winning the 2 Senate seats in GA is far from a sure thing (see how close the election was).
NC was called a few hours ago.

Millennial_Messiah
11-10-2020, 05:29 PM
Cal Cunningham just resigned/conceded a few hours ago. That's 50-48 if you count Alaska for the GOP (99.99% chance)

GOP should win both of the GA runoff seats, but even if they split it's 51-49 and Kamala doesn't get a vote unless a Collins or Sasse type jumps ship.

Trill Clinton
11-10-2020, 05:42 PM

ElNono
11-10-2020, 05:42 PM
So, you mean instead of having 100% of what your state voted for (3.33% of 270 electoral votes) - you'd settle for the 1,753,416/76,443,314 (2.29%) and WISHING that your state voted with the popular vote. If my calculations are correct, this is shortchanging your state by 45.4%.

A Federal election per se indicates a federal choice, not a State choice. Arguably, citizens in non-swing States already have their voices curtailed (Republican voting in California, Democrat voting in Tennessee, etc) due to the electoral college, so what you're arguing against already happens, whether it's popular vote or not.

Will Hunting
11-10-2020, 06:26 PM

This is a bit melodramatic. Most of if not all the states the GOP has full redistricting power over are states that are already gerrymandered from full GOP control 10 years ago. I’m not sure what the GOP will be able to do in a state like Ohio or Georgia to make it more gerrymandered.

Michigan, Missouri, Wisconsin, Virginia and Pennsylvania are all states that had full GOP control over redistricting 10 years ago and now have either split control or independent commission control. The Democrats are still going to get screwed in some states but the control is actually less lopsided than 10 years ago.

Blake
11-10-2020, 08:02 PM

Lol old fart still pimping the electoral college because her team told her it's still the best system for Muricuh

diego
11-10-2020, 08:02 PM

Chile isn't a great example imo, one it took 30+ years to rid the country of the dictator's constitution and two we're not in the clear yet, only approved the execution and the elite is obviously worming their way in to the process...

What is true is that there were massive protests that led to massive voter turnout and a resounding 78-22 defeat for the status quo.

RandomGuy
11-11-2020, 07:56 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/hhnpSxCjyXzHy/giphy.gif

:lol

RandomGuy
11-11-2020, 07:59 AM

I don't like the way the red states are fucking run, buncha ignorant, science hating, religious bigots.

Yet they have more power per voter than I do.

You are fine when the political power benefits your ideology unfairly. hypocrite.

boutons_deux
11-11-2020, 09:00 AM

majority rules, while providing/protecting the rights of the minority

The oligarchy/Repugs have NO INTEREST in democracy, have 40+ year strategy of

authoritarian, fascist one-party rule of the "unitary (fascist) Executive",

a Federal judiciary queered, tainted to the extreme right, and

voting fucked up with relentless intensity of suppression and insane gerrymandering,

financed by $Bs from the oligarchy who ROI is in the $Ts.

All from weaponizing the fucked up, archaic Constitution, while the feckless Democrats are complicit, guilty bystanders

"Urban areas make up only 3 percent of the entire land area of the country

but are home to more than 80 percent of the population.

Conversely, 97 percent of the country's land mass is rural

but only 19.3 percent of the population lives there. "

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2017/08/rural-america.html#:~:text=Urban%20areas%20make%20up%20o nly,Census%20Bureau%20%2D%20Opens%20as%20PDF.