PDA

View Full Version : Warming Up To Rasho

timvp
07-12-2003, 05:48 PM
I'll look at Rasho in the ultimate homer perspective...

Rasho is a big body you can put next to Duncan in the frontcourt. At 7' and 250 pounds, he has the size to play center.

He is a very efficient player. For the season, he shot 52.5% from the field. In the last three months of the season, he shot over 56% from the field.

His rebounding numbers aren't great, but he'd be able to get you about 7 boards and 1.5 blocks per game.

He doesn't really turn the ball over (1.29) and has shown flashes of being a good passer.

Rasho gets yelled at by Garnett and Saunders up in Minnesota and has privately said he would leave if the opportunity presented itself. He is close to Pop and could fit in with the Spurs' personality.

I think he could fit in pretty well.

Please no

50 Cent
07-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Uh, no thanks.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Timvp- you're insane

KoriEllis
07-12-2003, 06:04 PM
Note the "Please No".

Timvp hates Rasho. This post is a joke through gritted teeth.

DeSPURado
07-12-2003, 07:09 PM
Rasho is underrated...He's a very decent support player, and he makes his team competitive. I think he is an excellent fit in a support role especially in a center deprived league. That being said, he's not any better than Malik Rose.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 07:13 PM
If they added Nesterovic then they would have to get stronger at other spots. They still do not have a consistent perimeter scorer who can take over a game. Parker is the closest thing. Spurs have the cap flexibility to add Nesterovic and a young perimeter talent like Arenas or Maggette. At this point that might be the best way to go...

KoriEllis
07-12-2003, 07:16 PM
To me, there must be something good about Rasho. Otherwise, I doubt Pop would have driven 5 hours through Serbia on July 1 to meet with him.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Kori, I think it's his offensive skill. Defensively he isn't worth more than a John Hagee sermon but he has a nice jumper and good hands around the basket...with a number of decent moves. If the Kandi man can be pimped for his play versus TD and DRob let's not forget the game Rasho hung up on David a season or two ago...something like 24 pts 10 boards.

My guess is that Pop and RC would be building a team around Duncan that is able to put up points off the opportunities that TD can create. Nesterovic would fit well with TD on offense...but on D and the glass it would be TD and Rose doing the heavy lifting.

SpursWoman
07-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Wasn't Jack's D less than stellar when he first signed with the Spurs? He's improved greatly in the two years he's been coached by Pop's system...as has pretty much everyone who has played for him. Wouldn't history dictate that Rasho's D would improve as well?

If he's already decent offensively, then it shouldn't be considered a tragic pick-up it that's what happens.

[/optimism]

MannyIsGod
07-12-2003, 07:33 PM
.sigh.

I'll play center, really I will. I can hit the 3, i'll draw out the D.

.sigh.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Personally I think just about every big man's defensive game gets elevated on the Spurs because the roles are so well defined according to each player's strenghts. I guess Pop sees a fit with Rasho and I think were all pretty unfairly comparing all the candidates to DRob--which of course leads to not wanting anybody. Rasho is probably the most mobile of the remaining big men so Pop may have running on his mind still. Things are going to change, no doubt.

picnroll
07-12-2003, 07:35 PM
If, big if, the Spurs could pull in Odom with Rasho that would give the Spurs pretty solid front line D and rebounding.

Rasho just can't bang but he plays the pick and roll and rotates over pretty well. Like somebody [pointed out Minny zone is dsolid. Man on D agianst the big boys is the problem. Give him steroids and have him hit the weights.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2003, 07:41 PM
I think Pop was pretty pleased with having a man-mountain like Bateer as a practice dummy to toughen the post players up. Looking at the summer league roster, all the bigs fit the same mold--beefy and strong (though most are undersized for center duty in the NBA).

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Out of the remaining bigs Nesterovic is the best fit offensively. I'd hate to see Duncan have to throw the rock to Olowokandi 12 feet from the rim and count on him to make a play. At least Rasho has a solid J.

He shot 52.5% last season. His FT% is sub 70% but the most FTs he's ever taken in a season is 103.

DeSPURado
07-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Rasho might make a good Center by committee with Malik, so I can't say that it would be horrible to see him in a Spurs uniform. That being said it would be absolutely necessary to pick up a really good offensive and defensive wingman. I still have drool about SAR as a spur and it would be great to have somebody who could efficiently play the 3 or 4 position for the times that Rasho and Malik might suck.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 10:56 PM
Honestly, I don't think Rasho is a bad fit at center as long as he is counted on being the 4th or 5th best player in the starting lineup. Spurs fans are thinking that he is who the Spurs think can replace David Robinson. That's not the way to look at it. Should the Spurs use the remainder of their cap room to add a perimeter talent then you have 3 players in the starting lineup (TD, TP, & Free Agent) who are your top 3. Rasho's job will be to do what he's done in Minnesota (11 points, 6 boards, 1.5 blocks, and shoot around 50% on his FGs). You don't need him to be a star.

With Rose on this team I have no problem with Nesterovic on it. Hopefully the Spurs are able to pick up a Maggette, Arenas, or Odom.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Also, I know stats certainly do not capture the entire story but DRob and Nesterovic's #s were similiar last season. DRob is certainly a much better defensive presence but it's not like Rasho's that much of a drop off offensively from the DRob v.2k3 though he certainly will have to learn how to play with TD.

spurster
07-12-2003, 11:38 PM
Ok, timvp, you've convinced me.

If the Spurs sign Rasho, I'm willing to wait and see how he works out until I have a temper tandrum.

gunawanspurs
07-13-2003, 01:59 AM
Honestly, I don't think Rasho is a bad fit at center as long as he is counted on being the 4th or 5th best player in the starting lineup. Spurs fans are thinking that he is who the Spurs think can replace David Robinson. That's not the way to look at it. Should the Spurs use the remainder of their cap room to add a perimeter talent then you have 3 players in the starting lineup (TD, TP, & Free Agent) who are your top 3. Rasho's job will be to do what he's done in Minnesota (11 points, 6 boards, 1.5 blocks, and shoot around 50% on his FGs). You don't need him to be a star.

With Rose on this team I have no problem with Nesterovic on it. Hopefully the Spurs are able to pick up a Maggette, Arenas, or Odom.

Agreed.

As long we don't have to overpay for his service, and still able to add some talent(s) with the dough left on the caproom, Rasho would be a decent Spur in my book, as long we have a defined role for him, and not demand him becoming a white DRob clone for the rest of his carreer as a Spur.

SAmikeyp
07-13-2003, 02:01 AM
that size did not do a damn thing for him against Shaq, Malik played him better and he is 5 inches shorter than Nesterostiff.

Dunkel Weizen
07-13-2003, 03:15 AM
Looks like they'll have to pay $8 million a year to get this guy.

Frightening.

ZStomp
07-13-2003, 03:23 AM
Rasho gets yelled at by Garnett and Saunders up in Minnesota and has privately said he would leave if the opportunity presented itself. He is close to Pop and could fit in with the Spurs' personality.

If he signs...
He's going to yelled here by Pop also. Not Duncan though but TD wwould have 'talks' with him on the court.

Ghost Writer
07-13-2003, 12:31 PM
timvp, you forgot the aspect of Rasho's game that endears him most to the front office.

Nesterovic has a reliable 10-15 foot jumper that wiill allow him to draw Shaq away from the basket. His face-up offensive game is reminiscent of Robinson's when the Admiral used to make his jumpshots.

:cooldevil

Admiral
07-13-2003, 12:37 PM
The ability to "stretch the defense" with that jumper is overrated. We need a guy who is tough, a good rebounder, and can bang inside on both ends. That means Olowokandi, not Nesterovic.

Besides, how many shots is Nesterovic really going to get on our team anyway? If we obtain him, he would be the fourth option at best. Bowen would probably get more shots, making Nesterovic the fifth option.

A guy like Nesterovic who plays a classic European big man's game does nothing to help Duncan defensively down low, and does nothing to intimidate other teams from attacking the front of the rim. And we would have to pay $8 million a year for that? No thanks.

At least Olowokandi is a big body with a lot of potential.

T Park Num 9
07-13-2003, 12:42 PM
yeah and Kandi sounds like hes signing in Denver.

Face it, Nesterovic is the best thats going to be available PERIOD!

Admiral
07-13-2003, 12:45 PM
We waited two years for Rasho Nesterovic. Unbelievable.

The Spurs would've fared better to have bought several million dollars worth of powerball tickets. The odds of winning that would've been better than signing all these stars this summer.

Are we going to re-sign Steve Smith now? I mean, really, who else is available for us to spend our money on once Nesterovic is signed?

No way Tim Duncan will be happy about this. Hopefully, he knows management did the best they could.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Again you guys remain beholden to the Twin Towers concept. That ended with the retirement of David Robinson and Jermaine O'Neal not taking Pop's calls. Accept it.

The key is to increase your strength at other positions. An addition of Nesterovic to this team for a sane price is not a bad thing provided that the Spurs also add a perimeter talent. With Rose on this team I'm really not worried about Nesterovic at all.

Also, you guys need to stop acting like the Spurs have no inside presence whatsoever. They do have Tim Duncan after all. If you don't think that highly of him that's your prerogative.

Mark in Austin
07-13-2003, 12:48 PM
I'd rather save money for next year than sign a piece of crap player for 8 million.

**** Rasho and his timid game. We can go to europe and sign any one of a dozen big men that can hit a 10-12 footer for much less money. And there won't be that big a difference defensively, either.

I'd rather have (God, I can't believe it's come to this) Kandi. At least he has the balls and strength to hold his ground when Shaq goes on a rampage.

I never ever want to sign a player that looks like a scared little girl on the court. Not the right personality to add to this team.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 12:52 PM
If Nesterovic's price is a $7 to 8 mil starting salary then I don't want the Spurs to sign him. Much better to use that money on talent like Arenas.

Jimcs50
07-13-2003, 01:12 PM
Arenas is not a good fit for SA.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 01:18 PM
So the Spurs couldn't use a 18 point scorer who can give you 6 dimes and 5 boards a game...at the age of 21?

Right.

Jimcs50
07-13-2003, 01:20 PM
I am paraphrasing a quote from your Queen Kori, Marcus. I will take her opinion over yours