PDA

View Full Version : SIGN MICHAEL OLOWOKANDI

timvp
07-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Forget Rasho, PJ, Brad and every other bigman still on the market. The player the Spurs shoud go after is Olowokandi.

He's big. He's long. He can block shots. He has post moves. He can improve.

Being in Clipperland is hard for a post player like Olowokandi. He can't grow or learn in that system. Put him with a team like the Spurs and he will become a top 4 center in the league.

I don't think he's lazy as much as the fact that it's hard to care about basketball when you are on the Clippers.

He'll become a 14, 10 and 3 guy for the Spurs.

Sign him up.

Pooh
07-11-2003, 04:55 PM
More like sign someone, please!

IcemanCometh
he sucks

Marcus Bryant
:vomit

MI21
07-11-2003, 04:56 PM
****, we gotta sign somebody.

I say Chucky Brown!

2pac
07-11-2003, 04:57 PM
Good to see TimVP has come to the enlightened side.

Kandi >>> Brown

50 Cent
07-11-2003, 04:58 PM
I would rather them pay Kandi 2X as much than they offer Rasho.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 04:58 PM
PJ anytime over that POS.

scott
07-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Bateer >=< Kandi

2pac
07-11-2003, 05:00 PM
Marcus :rolleyes

PJ is 6 years older, can't score as well, can't rebound as well, can't block shots as well, is shorter and doesn't weigh as much.

How is PJ better again?

Fucking morons everywhere.

T Park Num 9
PJ BROWN >>>>>>> Olowakandi

timvp
Kandi has the potential to be a good center in this league and get a lot better. That is a lot better than you can say for people like PJ and Rasho.

At worst he'll still give you 8 and 8.

romsho
At the right price, yes. I wouldn't mind Lamar Odom to go with him.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 05:03 PM
MrSoccer/guitar/whatever,

If anyone is a moron, 'tis you. Brown is a proven player and an efficient one at that. **** Kandi and his 42.7% FG shooting. That's downright pathetic.

baseline bum
07-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Kandi @ $10 million is a bargain compared to Nesterovich @ $7 million. Kandi is probably the best the Spurs can do.

MI21
07-11-2003, 05:04 PM
At worst he'll still give you 8 and 8.

Can't believe I'm reading that, for what could be our prize FA this offseason.

From the start I wanted Marion, a 22/10 guy, but he signs an extension. After the extension I decided Jermaine O'Neal is the best player to get, another 22/11/3 guy. He verbally agree's to Indiana. All this time I thought the one constant was Jason Kidd, a 15/9/6 guy, who I thought wanted to come to SA at all costs. I would have been exstatic getting him.

Now its getting 8 and 8 if were lucky.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2003, 05:06 PM
I can't believe I'm giving Pop credit like this but here goes...

I'd venture to say Kandi would improve here in SA with our coaching staff. Come on - the guy played ball at Pacific and then for the Clips - how much instruction do you think he's gotten?

Plus we'd have Willis and Tim around to kick his ass if he doesn't come to play every day.

If he can be had for a good price, I'd take him. But I'd also want PJ. Let's get them both.

AHF

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Olowokandi has atrocious skills and has had time to improve. His work ethic is spotty at best. He's a free agent bust waiting to happen.

2pac
07-11-2003, 05:09 PM
People that say Kandi sucks know nothing about him.

TJ sees it.

Kandi is one of the top centers in the league.

Centers with more rebounds than Kandi:
Ben Wallace
Shaq

Centers with more ppg than Kandi:
Shaq
Z
Yao
Miller

Centers with more blocks than Kandi:
Wallace
Shaq
Foyle
Ratliff (is more of a PF)

Kandi would immediately be a top 5 center on the Spurs. He would not have pressure on him to do anything but get rebounds and block a couple shots.

Buncha fucking morons.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 05:10 PM
I've see Kandi play more times than you've sat there with your dick in your hands thinking about him.

He's a shitty player and the Spurs shouldn't waste their time or money on him. Let someone else make that mistake.

timvp
07-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Kandi sucked in Clipperland, but he'd improve on the Spurs.

Against the Spurs in the last couple season, he's been one of the harder matchups for Duncan and David.

He's 7', 270 pounds and has a 7'4 wingspan.

He'll be a good player on this team.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Centers with more ppg than Kandi:
Shaq
Z
Yao
Miller

'nuff said. 42.7%.

NCaliSpurs
07-11-2003, 05:14 PM
TEAM G GS MPG FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
LAC 36 36 38.0 186-436 .427 0-0 .000 69-105 .657 1.60 7.50 9.10 1.3 .50 2.19 2.72 3.10 12.3

Not a very efficient scorer. But he blocks and rebounds.

I would rather have Adonal Foyle.

timvp
07-11-2003, 05:19 PM
The 42.7% doesn't tell the whole story. The last couple months he shot 33% from the floor after he gave up being a Clipper.

While he was trying, he put up 13.8 points, 9.1 rebounds, 2.2 blocks and shot 47.6%.

He'll be good on the Spurs.

2pac
07-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Not that we are going to have him scoring at all.

Signing him would leave money open for a Maggette or Odem.

You wont need him to ben an efficient scorer, or a scorer at all on a team with Duncan, Maggette, Manu and Parker.

I'd rather have a big guy like him to rebound than some cupcake like Rasho or someone that could retire at any second like PJ.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 05:21 PM
I hope you're right timvp but everything I've seen tells me otherwise.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 05:22 PM
PJ is not going to "retire at any second." Ridiculous.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Initially I was leaning on your side Marcus but knowing that Kori has seen him up close and personal in LA, I'm going to give her and timvp the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, if the alternative is Rasho, I'll take some Kandi any day.

AHF

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 05:26 PM
AHF I don't believe you have heard Kori's POV on the Kandi man yet.

2pac
The older players get, the more prevelant career ending injuries are. PJ is six years older than Kandi.

Kandi has better numbers and size than anyone else available.

adidas11
I think Kandi could go either way, but it's going to be to an extreme degree. Either he comes to San Antonio, and does very well. Or he comes to San Antonio, and becomes the biggest bust since Darin Jackson. I just don't see him being in the middle ground in terms of performance. It's a risk, but at this point, it might be a worthwhile risk.

NCaliSpurs
07-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Timvp - I recall your version of Kandi's stats as being accurate. He had a big downturn in stats after he returned form his injury as a lame duck player.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Or he comes to San Antonio, and becomes the biggest bust since Darin Jackson.

:lol

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Good ole Darin. :lol

KoriEllis
07-11-2003, 05:40 PM
My point of view on Kandi is cloudy.

The guy has the body to be a force at center next to Duncan. He can bang with the biggest men in the league. He has a decent jumper from the top of the key. He can't go left (but that's better than 3 years ago when he couldn't go left or right). He can board and block when he wants to.

But I've seen him refuse to run back down the court on defense on more occasions than I can count. He hates the weight room and drills.

He's a perennial Lazy Man of the Year Kandidate, but that might be fault of the system.

He began playing basketball later in life than most players. He played at University of Pacific in the Big West Conference (horrible basketball -- I've seen better at pick up games at Trinity). And his pro career has been with the worst sports franchise in the history of the universe.

I have a feeling that under Pop and next to Duncan, he could emerge as a solid contributor, but it's risky.

I'm glad it's Pop/RC's decision not mine.

KoriEllis
07-11-2003, 05:44 PM
I have no information right now as to how much the Spurs have been discussin Kandi as an option.

I'll find out today if I can.

kohai
07-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Signing Kandi moves Tim off of the blocks, permanently. Kandi can play nowhere else. He has no real jumper to speak of. At least PJ Brown has one.

The way that most of you feel about Rasho? I feel that about Kandi. I'd rather sign NO ONE.

I feel like vomiting.

timvp
07-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Good points, Princess.

Olowokandi and Duncan would dominate the boards.

Temple Of The Dog
07-11-2003, 06:09 PM
after the news of the day this thread should make your head and tummy hurt... the lakers fill their needs with 2 aging all stars that are still productive for 6.4 million... we got 16 million and we're talking about "the kandiman"?

if a whole bunch of bee's attacked the front office and kandi at the signing / news conference... it would be fitting.

but anyway, i'd take the guy in a heartbeat because he's probably the only true center worth anything thats left out there... he has good hands and his size alone (along with duncan's) would be worth it... he'd probably up all his averages playing next to duncan who's become a great passing bigman when doubled. (not like brand is in la) and he'd be even more motivated to raise his level of defense playing in the spurs system.

if he's healthy and willing, i think he should be the guy they go after... especially considering your backup power forward is undersized. (get as much size as you can in the west)

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 06:09 PM
I pegged Olowokandi as a realistic replacement for Olowokandi about a year and a half ago. I wasn't counting on a superstar coming this summer. It's just very difficult to get superstars to leave their current teams these days.

Olowokandi represents a de-valued, underappreciated prototypical center who we could get for signifigantly less than the max.

Posters here and at the old Forum have charecterized him incorrectly, misjudged how much it would cost to get him and denied that it would ever come to that.

He's younger, taller and will emerge as a better pro than Brown who is a half a dozen years older.

'Kandi put up better numbers than Robinson last year and should do even better this year healthy and de-Clippered in the system of SPURS BASKETBALL.

:cooldevil

Rabel 13
07-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Kandi at the very least needs to be brought in for an interview and a tour of the sites.

If he is going to take some 8 million...you need to seriously explore that possibility.

Kandi>>>Rasho

timvp
07-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Ghost, dont act like you weren't Pro-Kidd and thought he was going to sign here.

If the Spurs wine and dine Olowokandi, they might be able to get him for around $6-7M.

He says he wants to win.

kohai
07-11-2003, 06:22 PM
He says he wants to win.
So did _ason Kidd...

F7
07-11-2003, 06:23 PM
timvp, everyone says they want to win.. up until the point where they sign a fat contract for a shit team.

with that being said... Olowakandi wouldn't be a bad pickup if he were within that price range :)

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 06:27 PM
timvp, I have admitted a dozen times today that I felt the urgency for Kidd after the Lakers got Payton and Malone and people here convinced me we could get Kidd and a center.

I don't think Kidd is coming anymore. Do you?

Why don't you admit that I was pumping up Olowokandi over a year ago at Dusty's place while most people blasted me and insisted a superstar was coming.

Don't act like you were ahead of the curve and I was clueless about 'Kandi.

It was until recently that you thought 'Kandi was worth settling on.

Many people like [DocE insisted he would get the max elsewhere.

Archie thinks he's dogsh1t.

Your own partna KoriEllis isn't fond of Brand. Or did she come around now, too?

Question.

P.S.

I'm not trying to debate you here, timmy. I'm glad you're officially on the Kandiwagon. I figured it would come to this, although for a second there, I really thought we were getting Kidd and a center.

ducks
07-11-2003, 06:28 PM
was not he quoted in the denver paper he thought noone is worth 120 million he was looking for around a 6-7 million deal?

kohai
07-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Don't believe what players say in the paper. Kandi and his agent would IMMEDIATELY take any Spurs offer to the Nugs, who must be terrified right now after a world champion with caproom got snubbed. Kiki is already on record as saying...

WE MAY HAVE TO OVERPAY

ChumpDumper
07-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Kandi's the only guy available who can block shots and stay in a game single covering Shaq.

It's a gamble but we've seen what a motivated Kandi can do. I think he'd be much more motivated in a non-basket case organization like the Spurs.

The only other thing I could think for getting a decent center is trading some space to GS for Foyle or Dampier, but Kandi is more complete than either (!) and we'd likely have to take on some Warrior flotsam as well (though Sura or Fortson wouldn't be the worst that could happen).

Archie
07-11-2003, 08:28 PM
timvp, I have admitted a dozen times today that I felt the urgency for Kidd after the Lakers got Payton and Malone and people here convinced me we could get Kidd and a center.

See Ghost, you change your mind like a skittish little bitch. Payton & Malone are going to be in LA for one year. WTF should that automatically change what you think should be the Spurs' long term focus? That makes no sense whatsoever.

goliath
07-11-2003, 10:15 PM
I agree Timvp

I think Kandi would thrive in our system. Hes played for Pacific and the Clips, not exactly b-ball meccas.

Noone cares on the Clips. He lags back on d here, pop will rip him a new one. He'll get his ass parked on the bench like Malik did early this year. I think with Pop, the players we have around him, and the demands all of them would put on him wouyld turn him into a top 5 center.

Remember, we are the orginization that makes players out of crap
ie: Parker-last pick
Malik - cut
Jackson (both Jaren and Stephen) - cut
AJ - cut

gilmor1
07-11-2003, 11:50 PM
I am with marcus on this one! PJ is the answer

exstatic
07-11-2003, 11:56 PM
Kandi's the only guy available who can block shots and stay in a game single covering Shaq.

I may be wrong, but didn't Shaq bend him over with 60 points in one game? Of course, if you mean by "stay in a game single covering Shaq" that Kandi didn't foul out, then I withdraw my objection. He certainly didn't defend him.

Ghost Writer
07-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Okay, Archie. Forget I ever entertained the idea of Kidd and a center over the past week. Cling to the past year of me telling you to think "Olowokandi."

Nothing will ever make you happy.

ChumpDumper
07-12-2003, 12:04 AM
I may be wrong, but didn't Shaq bend him over with 60 points in one game? Of course, if you mean by "stay in a game single covering Shaq" that Kandi didn't foul out, then I withdraw my objection. He certainly didn't defe

Three years ago?

Jack sucked three years ago too.

Only played him once this year. Fouled out in 26 minutes but scored 15 first.

What do you want? He the closest we can come to single covering Shaq unless Rasho has some untapped potential we haven't seen.

mattyc2422
07-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Personally, I like PJ more than Kandi as a player. I think PJ is the better compliment to TD's game and would fit into our game very, very well.

In saying that, there have been some very god arguments raised about Kandi. If we could somehow eradicate the lazy streak from his game, he could make good.

Tough choice...

ChumpDumper
07-12-2003, 12:16 AM
I have a bias towards Kandi's size and relative youth.

Guess I'm looking for a possible long term solution rather than a certain short term one.

Admiral
07-12-2003, 12:31 AM
Olowokandi has proven that he can play great basketball - in stretches. I think the criticism that he's lazy is mostly unwarranted. He is still very young to the game. He played small college basketball, and was drafted #1 simply because of his potential. He's been in a horrible situation as far as learning is concerned.

All of the above factors should be very encouraging to a team like us. We're not counting on him to be our dominant force down low. He can learn from one of the best post players ever in Duncan. He can improve and reach his potential. Other big men on our list have already reached their talent ceiling. Olowokandi isn't even close.

He's respectable now, and can only get better down the line. Sounds to me like he fits in perfectly with our plan to be good now while still planning for the future.

Sign him up, please. :hat

Temple Of The Dog
07-12-2003, 12:53 AM
pj brown is signed (so it seems) at 40 million for 4 years.
so i say sign kandi before denver offers him 100 million for 6?

this is insane... we could actually end up with rasho or maybe even nothing. at this point i think rc is scouting a very very tall dude at walmart to replace david... 30 million for 3 years? (that sounds about right)

bugramps
07-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Do we stand a chance to get him, or are we even talking to his agent? I'd like to have him, but is he interested and are the Spurs interested?

Temple Of The Dog
07-12-2003, 12:57 AM
at this point its just speculation... the dude lives with his mom (inside scoop via a very important source) but lets all keep our fingers crossed...

Admiral
07-12-2003, 01:53 AM
I am determined not to gripe about this, but even the biggest homers here have to admit that the Fantasy Summer of 2003 plan, AKA the Holting Pattern, has blown up in our faces. If nothing else, the current situation is a far cry from what many envisioned two years ago.

Things will still work out, though. Somehow. We have the organization and players to make it happen. I believe. :fro

mattyc2422
07-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Good post Admiral.
Things will work out. We will be 'okay', but things are not panning out as many envisioned.

Dunkel Weizen
07-12-2003, 05:22 AM
In spite of all the bad news, this team is likely to return 6, perhaps even 7 players from the core 8-man rotation.

Still to be replaced are David and (perhaps) Speedy.

This team is one fortuiutous move for a center away from smiles and roses again.

Man in Black1
07-12-2003, 05:28 AM
:brotha

**** that. I'm with Marcus. I'll tell you why. I live in So Cal and I've watched his game for years. He is the epitome of big tease.

To say one can't have success on the Clippers means that Spurs fans don't watch much Clipper hoops...WELL I DO.
If Brand could succeed, if Maggete can have a good game, if QRich can show up, then why not Kandi? I'll tell you why, he thinks he is better than he is, he gives you these performances are awesome and that means he should get more touches. Then he gets them and you see clank, turnover, clank, spin left made short right hand hook off that low block spot, fadeaway spin right towards the center...clank.
His blocks are the result of good position D by others and him leaving his mark to get a weakside block. His d position is improving but I remember Amare on him...DO YOU?

Its frustrating. I will agree with Timvp on 1 thing. If he comes in cheap, it could be okay...one thing for sure...Lakerfans have been HOPING that we take Kandi...Something is wrong here.

Temple Of The Dog
07-12-2003, 07:57 AM
brand can "succeed" because he was an "east allstar" before he got there and gets touches like an allstar... the rest of that team has a me first mentality that's never gone away no matter what personnel they bring in because they're always playing for contracts. (that they almost never get)

they've never had a true leader to run the club since kandi got there and he's gone through more coaches than the yankees in the 70's and 80's... he was drafted as the franchise savior and never put in a position to win. so he becomes the whipping boy in the media for everything that's wrong with the clips because fatass shaq plays in the same city that he does.

well if brand is so good... then why did the bulls suck? if brand is so good and its not the clipper system... then why didn't they make the playoffs last year? of course... kandi, right? (what was i thinking)

but lets get odom, maggette and brand... at least they're not pesky centers that can block shots (ewww... who needs that?) not the spurs.

SpursFanInAustin
07-12-2003, 09:11 AM
His blocks are the result of good position D by others and him leaving his mark to get a weakside block. His d position is improving but I remember Amare on him...DO YOU?

I remember Juwan Howard on Tim Duncan earlier this year do you?

I remember Steve Smith over the Admiral 5 years ago do you?

I remember Kevin Johnson over Hakeem in 1994 do you?

I remember Malik over Mutombo, do you?

Every center not named Shaq is gonna get facialed one way or another. There's no avoiding it. Besides, Amare can jump out of the gym. He's gonna be a great player in this league for a long time.

Whottt
07-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Dammit, we finally get a merciful end to all this Kidd madness and now everyone wants to jump off a cliff signing this waste of airspace.

Kandi sucks, Kandi does not want to play basketball. If Kandi had even had a mediocre season he would be signing a max contract this offseason. So what did Kandi do? Shot his career worst, even with Elton trying to set him up all year, turned it over...IF a guy can't even play good for purely selfish reasons he damn sure isn't gonna play good after he is getting paid big guaranteed money.

I don't know, call me silly but signing the guy who Shaq scored his career high against doesn't seem like the best way to beat LA this year. And maybe we should just be a little cautious before wasting cap space on a guy who missed the last 50 something games of the season.

Empty Air Space > Kandi

Country Weeds
07-12-2003, 11:20 AM
Kandi Man
12.3 Pts
2.2 blocks
9.1 rebounds
42% FG
66% FT

P.J. Brown
11 pts
9.0 rebounds
1 block
53% FG
83% FT

Rasho
11pts
6.5 boards
1.5 blocks
53% FG
65% FT

Brad Miller
13 pts
8.3 boards
0.6 blocks
49% FG
83% FT

Now other than FG% which should improve by playing with Duncan, why is everyone making like the other available big men are head and shoulders better than Kandi Man?

Whottt
07-12-2003, 11:36 AM
Maybe because Kandi's numbers are for 33 games? Maybe because out of all those guys Kandi is the one who could have legitimately established himself as a max player this year...and not only did he establish career worsts in some categories, with Elton trying to help him so he could stay in LA.....he didn't even play half the season.

I can's believe there is even a debate over whether Kandi or Brand is the better player...Brand's career lows are better in just about every category than Kandi's career highs.

And I don't like the idea of signing the guy that Shaq scored 61 points against. I mean the whole reason we need a quality bigman is to handle Shaq..So we go out and sign Shaq's biggest bitch?

No way.

Ghost Writer
07-12-2003, 01:25 PM
STFU, Whott. what do yopu want us to do? Stand pat?

The front office will make a play at Brand first. If that failes, they'lll look at Odom, Nesterovic, Olowokandi and Arenas.

Next.

Whottt
07-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Miller, Nesterovich, even freaking Oakley, any center out there >>>>> Kandi

No it's not a question of talent..Kandi is the most talented still out there that is unrestricted..

It's a question of desire and Kandi doesn't want to play basketball...the minute he sees that freaking contract his appearances on the court are going to be rare.

If the best FA available was dogshit would you guys be advocating giving him a 6 year contract rather than trying the FA market again next year?

Anyone is better than Kandi....anyone

And do I have to spell it out again? Dunleavy coaching the Clips means no Elton.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Something for Whottt and I to agree on.

Country Weeds
07-12-2003, 01:54 PM
There is no next year. Understand that now. The Spurs will NOT have the cap room to pursue warm sppit next season. They have to resign SJAX and that will cost them at least 5 million in cap room and with the natural raises that would leave them with around$7-8 million left over at best except next season they will have two 1st round draft picks so knock off another $2 million at least. Then add on the fact that Manu will be a FA they will have to use all their space on signing him because they will not have the MLE.

The comparison is not Brand vs Kandi. Brand is going to squeeze the MAX out as opposed to Kandi at about 1/2 the cost.

And this crap about 'character' guys went out the window when they threw $92 million at the wife beater. Which IMO is more horrible than anything Odom has ever done. Did I mention that Odom was a 6'10 SF with great ball handling, shot blocking, and PG skills. He could actually slide over to PF in a pinch to match up better with bigger teams.

PG Parker
SG Manu
SF Bowen
PF Odom
C Duncan

PG Parker, Travis Best, Steve kerr
SG Manu, SJAX
SF Odom, Bowen, Danny Ferry
PF Duncan, Rose
C Brad Miller, Willis

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Jack's an Early Bird free agent so he only counts at 130% of last year's ($699k) salary until he is re-signed, renounced, or signed by another team. Once the Spurs 'use up' their $16.3 mil in cap flexibility they can then go over the cap to re-sign Jack. It's like having an extra $4 mil in cap room.

Temple Of The Dog
07-12-2003, 04:34 PM
no one's saying kandi is better than brand... my point was don't use rehashed fucking arguments to not sign a center when you need one...

"not having heart" is what the national media accused david robinson of for a very long time, or does everyone in here have that short of a memory?

and if i have to write this for the mentally impaired... no, i'm not saying kandi is better than david robinson either. but whatever... does anyone know how our talks are going with that very very tall guy from walmart?

Whottt
07-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Kandi's not a center, he is a salary cap drain. Even the majority of Clipper Fans do not want this guy back.

What does that say?

They had the worst record in their dvision and they don't think he is good enough to start for them.

Don't believe me?

Check out Clippertalk...www...

I have followed the Clippers all year and spent a lot of time at that forum...believe me..they aren't just saying this because they might lose him...they want to lose him...

And I have yet to get a good answer on why we should sign the guy that gave up 61 points to Shaq.

I know people like to compare his numbers to DROB this season...DROB has a back condition that leaves his legs numb and bad knee...What's Kandi's excuse? And DROB's numbers are better anyway...what kind of center can't hit at over 42%?

We sign Kandi and he'll be Bateer's back up by the AS break.

timvp
07-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Olowokandi is huge and can rebound a score around the basket. Remember, even if he only gives you 25-30 minutes a game of good effort, you still have Rose coming in who has proven to be an awesome bench player.

The talent is there and the size is there. I believe Pop and Co. can bring it out of him.

P.S.

Get him and then get Dave Cowens to whip him into shape.

ducks
07-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Arenas will be gone before then if they go after brand unless they get him by trade

Ghost Writer
07-13-2003, 12:41 PM
David Robinson's first priority was never basketball and he's a San Antonio legend and winner of two rings.

Olowokandi would make a fine stop gap at center. He could thrive on the Spurs.

Consider the alternatives.

T Park Num 9
07-13-2003, 12:46 PM
There are no alternatives left.

They HAVE to sign Olowakandi.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Why exactly must the Spurs throw money at marginal bigmen talent? You guys act like the Spurs have no post game at all. They do in the form of Tim Duncan. Most teams in the league don't have anything close to that. Now you guys howl like the Spurs are teetering on the edge because they may end up moving away from the Twin Towers concept. Fine. Accept it.

I'd rather see the Spurs add real perimeter talent then overpay someone just because they are a "center."

Forget about that.

Use your cap flexibility to add the best talent possible, and then start Rose if you have to and add a couple of veteran bigmen for the minimum in addition to retaining Willis.

Jimcs50
07-13-2003, 01:12 PM
If SA can get Maggette and Odom, they can hang with the big dogs. I seem to remember a Chicago team that was pretty good with a center that hardly contributed at all.