View Full Version : Final San Antonio Spurs Big Board for the 2020 NBA Draft

timvp
11-18-2020, 04:15 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-final-big-board-2020-nba-draft/

Desmond Bane with the late rise :wow

Should be an interesting night.

SpursDynasty85
11-18-2020, 04:18 PM
Very surprised you have Isiaah Stewart so low. I actually wouldn’t mind him at 11. Wingspan and size shows he can be a pretty good center.

timvp
11-18-2020, 04:24 PM
Very surprised you have Isiaah Stewart so low. I actually wouldn’t mind him at 11. Wingspan and size shows he can be a pretty good center.

He makes Jackie Butler look nimble, I'm afraid. Impressive power and high-quality kid in terms of character but I don't love him in the modern NBA. In years gone by, yeah, he'd be safely in the first round but now it'd be really easy for other teams to play him off the court.

That said, I'd be decently happy with him at 41 if he freefalls.

Prime BEEF
11-18-2020, 04:26 PM
Interesting comments on Bane and the spurs interest in him

Mugen
11-18-2020, 04:26 PM
"All in all, I’d say there’s a 30 to 40 percent chance the Spurs make a trade tonight or line up a deal that will be completed over the next week."

That's pretty damn high for you, bruh. That probably means it's closer to the 60-70% range :lol

JuneJive
11-18-2020, 04:33 PM
All aboard the Bane train.

Dejounte
11-18-2020, 04:35 PM
Vomit.

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 04:41 PM
I’m glad you moved Wiseman up. In your other thread you asked who was too high or low and I commented that Wiseman was the one that seemed too low.

But all in all good list. Was good to see my top 4-5 be at least something in line here:

Patrick
Toppin
Neismith (different than your list)
Vessell
OO

In no particular order for me at 11

Gibbz
11-18-2020, 04:41 PM
Nice--I'll be hoping for anyone in that top 10.

PhantomDashCam
11-18-2020, 04:43 PM
I like Bane, a lot.
But for me he is, current Eric Gordon with better passing ability - valuable to the right team at the right time in their contention.
My interest is piqued though because I surmised that Golden State brought him in for a “secret workout” ( based on geo-location and time meeting took place), The interest may be for that #11 to be included and Bane picked for that #2 deal.

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 04:45 PM
Also I believe it’s at least 50/50 we see a trade. I heard this before rumors really started making their way to headlines and if that’s true it’s a sign to me Sa knows the correct path to take.

So I’m less concerned about Sa being half assed In desire than before so it comes down to other teams willingness. 50/50 for me.

Dejounte
11-18-2020, 04:49 PM
I dont understand the logic of putting LaMelo and Anthony in your top two and then at the same time say that the Spurs won't draft them even if they trade up. Doesn't make sense. If they were that good, they would draft them regardless of fit. If this is just an overall board of who you think will succeed with players at the top having the best chance, then that would make better sense. Other than that, the board lacks boldness and seems to just follow any big board out there. Just my two cents.

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 04:51 PM
Also Hayes seems to still be a darling of this draft so very surprised to see that level of concern here

Dejounte
11-18-2020, 04:51 PM
And if the board IS tailored to who's likely to be drafted by the Spurs first, what's the point of putting those top two up there. And if not, then what's the point of the commentary. Just contradicting at multiple levels.

Dejounte
11-18-2020, 04:52 PM
Regardless, I appreciate the effort and 7PM can't get here soon enough.

timvp
11-18-2020, 04:53 PM
I’m glad you moved Wiseman up. In your other thread you asked who was too high or low and I commented that Wiseman was the one that seemed too low.

But all in all good list. Was good to see my top 4-5 be at least something in line here:

Patrick
Toppin
Neismith (different than your list)
Vessell
OO

In no particular order for me at 11

Yeah, Wiseman has been a difficult read. I had him in the top two, dropped him way down and now he's back in the top five. If the Spurs trade to No. 2 and take Wiseman, I'd be perfectly fine with that, tbh.

timvp
11-18-2020, 04:55 PM
I like Bane, a lot.
But for me he is, current Eric Gordon with better passing ability - valuable to the right team at the right time in their contention.
My interest is piqued though because I surmised that Golden State brought him in for a “secret workout” ( based on geo-location and time meeting took place), The interest may be for that #11 to be included and Bane picked for that #2 deal.

Good stuff. Bane at 11 is a bit much but he'd be the classic "WTF did the Spurs just do?!?!?" and then a half hour later there will be draft pundits calling it the steal of the draft :lol

Russ
11-18-2020, 04:56 PM
I hate the idea of the Spurs picking at 11.

But you nailed Nesmith pretty well -- could do worse at 11. (Although Achiuwa may be undervalued a bit on your list.)

We used to get a pretty good feel about who the Spurs should pick (or would pick) later in the first round. But now all I see is overpriced merchandise on the shelves at #11 -- guys who would be revelations at say #20.

Still hope they trade up for Wiseman (probably out of reach) or Okongwu or Avdija.

TD 21
11-18-2020, 04:56 PM
Maledon and Bane are right up their alley, but only in the highly improbable event they pulled something like a 3 way with the 76ers and Warriors, whereby White was involved and they acquired 21 as part of it.

Also I believe it’s at least 50/50 we see a trade. I heard this before rumors really started making their way to headlines and if that’s true it’s a sign to me Sa knows the correct path to take.

So I’m less concerned about Sa being half assed In desire than before so it comes down to other teams willingness. 50/50 for me.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm not giving them an out with cliches like "it takes two to tango", "you don't make a trade just for the sake of it" and "sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make".

No more excuses or waiting: Get something of significance done. I don't even particularly care what, just find a way to do it. It's a results oriented business, not a try hard one.

timvp
11-18-2020, 05:04 PM
I dont understand the logic of putting LaMelo and Anthony in your top two and then at the same time say that the Spurs won't draft them even if they trade up. Doesn't make sense. If they were that good, they would draft them regardless of fit.

The issue with those two has always been character questions. From the outside, it's impossible to know if the Spurs think those questions are too much to overcome. If the Spurs are okay with Ball and Edwards and can overlook the Ball-family drama and the various issues with Edwards, I think they'd be the top two picks. If it's too much to overlook, they'd erase their names and keep going down the list. Factoring them into a Big Board by estimating what I think the Spurs will think of their character wouldn't make much sense, IMO.

For the record, if I did try to estimate it, I'd probably still keep Ball #1 but then move Edwards down to #6 or so.

Other than that, the board lacks boldness and seems to just follow any big board out there. Just my two cents.

That's okay. It doesn't look like any Big Board I've seen but I've appreciated your bold takes during the run up to the draft. Made it an entertaining ride :tu

timvp
11-18-2020, 05:07 PM
Also Hayes seems to still be a darling of this draft so very surprised to see that level of concern here

The Spurs could be doing a superduper smokescreen and actually like Hayes. I don't know. But usually there's at least some indication the Spurs are interested in an international player. Over the last two months, I've come across nothing that would lead me to suspect the Spurs like Hayes or Poku.

I'd actually be pretty happy with Hayes. I like him as a prospect and it'd be a good sign that the front office still has some CIA elements. If it's Saddiq Bey, on the other hand, we can go ahead and bury the CIA idea :lol

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 05:07 PM
timvp : I know you said 30-40% on a trade. But in your own personal opinion if there are going to be trades tonight rank these in order of most likely to be moved:

DDR
LMA
Mills
Rudy

And then maybe list a sneaky candidate to be traded outside of those 4

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 05:09 PM
The Spurs could be doing a superduper smokescreen and actually like Hayes. I don't know. But usually there's at least some indication the Spurs are interested in an international player. Over the last two months, I've come across nothing that would lead me to suspect the Spurs like Hayes or Poku.

I'd actually be pretty happy with Hayes. I like him as a prospect and it'd be a good sign that the front office still has some CIA elements. If it's Saddiq Bey, on the other hand, we can go ahead and bury the CIA idea :lol

Lol same with all the trade rumors. May be a new age and more open and friendly Spurs FO.

I haven’t seen anything with Hayes to SA either but lots of mocks and scouts “seem” to be very high on him and talk about him as best value. We will see - was just something that stood out to me on yours vs more mainstream boards.

timvp
11-18-2020, 05:11 PM
Lol same with all the trade rumors. May be a new age and more open and friendly Spurs FO.

I haven’t seen anything with Hayes to SA either but lots of mocks and scouts “seem” to be very high on him and talk about him as best value. We will see - was just something that stood out to me on yours vs more mainstream boards.

On my personal Big Board without factoring in a team, I'd probably still have Killian 6-to-8 range, FWIW.

Dejounte
11-18-2020, 05:15 PM
The issue with those two has always been character questions. From the outside, it's impossible to know if the Spurs think those questions are too much to overcome. If the Spurs are okay with Ball and Edwards and can overlook the Ball-family drama and the various issues with Edwards, I think they'd be the top two picks. If it's too much to overlook, they'd erase their names and keep going down the list. Factoring them into a Big Board by estimating what I think the Spurs will think of their character wouldn't make much sense, IMO.

For the record, if I did try to estimate it, I'd probably still keep Ball #1 but then move Edwards down to #6 or so.

That's okay. It doesn't look like any Big Board I've seen but I've appreciated your bold takes during the run up to the draft. Made it an entertaining ride :tu

But you haven't been online with this username for a couple months... I'm curious now what's your alternative username. bluebellmaniac seems to think I'm you. That would be a mind fuck if I was indeed you and I'm talking back and forth with myself right now.... Wouldn't that be a twist? Huh...

objective
11-18-2020, 05:17 PM
My final Spurs-related 1st round board, noting that I didn't bother watching too much Ball or Edwards, so I'm not including them

1a. Wiseman - more of a fun thing, the entertainment factor of having a young huge big goes well with the nostalgia of Robinson, Duncan and A-Train. I doubt he'll ever be an all-star in a conference with Jokic, Gobert, Towns, Ayton, Davis, Porzingis, JJJ, and Nurkic .... but I think it would be fun and if I don't expect them to be contenders anyway, might as well have a team worth watching

1b. Patrick Williams - the world is finally coming around to what I saw in about 5 minutes. Closest thing to a projectable Kawhi (on offense). As the youngest collegian in the draft, he is already so sharp and promising in enough areas that I think he can be projected as one of the best bets to succeed in this draft. Only drawbacks are his unremarkable length, unimpressive lateral speed, curiously low transition effectiveness, and bizarrely large thighs.

3. Okongwu - Probably a better player for the modern NBA than Wiseman. He would be great for the Spurs. Maybe reports of a toe injury get him to slide, and the toe injury gives Pop the perfect excuse for his favorite aspect of coaching: benching young players for entire seasons because it wouldn't be fair to the team that the playoffs aren't for them and they need to get over themselves.

4. Pokusevski. I believe great reward is worth great risk. He might be more likely to bust than succeed, but it's a chance worth taking. I think his body can develop, euros don't usually get much credit for potential to develop their bodies, and I've seen his meaty legs and enough of him to think he can put on weight fine.

Some might think he's redundant with Samanic, and I might agree if I thought Samanic was any good (but I don't). I believe in Poku's potential so much more than Samanic. I trust his shot so much more, he play makes so much better, better potential for using legit length on defense instead of those t-rex sticks Samanic pokes with. And if he busts? Well, 11th picks bust sometime. If it was just the shooting I would pass, but that passing and ballhandling ... that's what is intriguing on a team that doesn't have a lot of projectable creation in the future. He's 2 years away from being 1 year away from not being fair to the team.

5. Vassell - More safe than Poku, less projectable upside. But I loved Thybulle last year and feel I was on the right track with him. Well, Vassell is like a Thybulle-lite but with much better shooting and offensive skill. He's a great team defender with okay size, and team defense still matters.

6. Okoro - I doubt his size, and worry that his lack of length limits his ability to make impact plays. He didn't create too many steals at the college level. And his shooting is trash. But another dog to throw at people, and he's young, so maybe?

And the rest I don't care too much for in no particular order:

Avdija - Evan Turner back in the NBA to disappoint people. But he does play hard.
Halliburton - Something about him rubs me the wrong way with his passing. Don't like his physique.
Hayes - Might not be athletic enough, but at least he has good combo size
Precious - Measured smaller than I expected, but should be a fun hustle player
Jalen Smith - pick and pop big could be useful. Blocks shots with both hands, so I like that.
Kira Lewis Jr - first guy in a long long time to remind me of Tony Parker's speed
Saddiq Bey - Ehhh I guess so. Average player for an average team.

Last - Obi Toppin. I am sick of crap defenders, and Toppin defends like a mix of Joffrey and Bryn. I don't think his offense generation potential is worth the headache. Because I don't believe in his shot, either.

Red Flag - Nesmith and his lower body. For a guy who basically can only shoot, having bad legs is a big problem

Don't care about anyone else at 11 or any pick in the lottery.

timvp
11-18-2020, 05:17 PM
timvp : I know you said 30-40% on a trade. But in your own personal opinion if there are going to be trades tonight rank these in order of most likely to be moved:

DDR
LMA
Mills
Rudy

Tonight? I'd rank them:

Mills
Aldridge
DeRozan
Gay

Mills is the easiest to trade. Just about every team could justify a three-point threat who has championship experience. The markets for Aldridge and DeRozan are much more narrow. In a vacuum, the Spurs would prefer to move DeRozan before Aldridge but getting a positive return for DeRozan would almost take a perfect storm -- especially if we're just talking about tonight.

And then maybe list a sneaky candidate to be traded outside of those 4

It's basically those four. Any other player moved tonight would be filler salary-wise, AFAIK.

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 05:20 PM
Tonight? I'd rank them:

Mills
Aldridge
DeRozan
Gay

Mills is the easiest to trade. Just about every team could justify a three-point threat who has championship experience. The markets for Aldridge and DeRozan are much more narrow. In a vacuum, the Spurs would prefer to move DeRozan before Aldridge but getting a positive return for DeRozan would almost take a perfect storm -- especially if we're just talking about tonight.

It's basically those four. Any other player moved tonight would be filler salary-wise, AFAIK.

So you don’t think there’s anyone SA likes enough to trade Murray/White/Lonnie/Keldon for in order to move up

timvp
11-18-2020, 05:22 PM
So you don’t think there’s anyone SA likes enough to trade Murray/White/Lonnie/Keldon for in order to move up

It's possible but I haven't heard anything regarding those players being used to trade up.

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 05:24 PM
It's possible but I haven't heard anything regarding those players being used to trade up.

Sounds good - thanks.

From what I’ve heard and just using logic I have to think LMA and/or Derozan gets moved. There is no better time to do so. If it’s not tonight SA loses what already little leverage and value they have.

timvp
11-18-2020, 05:25 PM
He's 2 years away from being 1 year away from not being fair to the team.

:lol

5. Vassell - More safe than Poku, less projectable upside. But I loved Thybulle last year and feel I was on the right track with him. Well, Vassell is like a Thybulle-lite but with much better shooting and offensive skill. He's a great team defender with okay size, and team defense still matters.

6. Okoro - I doubt his size, and worry that his lack of length limits his ability to make impact plays. He didn't create too many steals at the college level. And his shooting is trash. But another dog to throw at people, and he's young, so maybe?Basically agree on both players. I'd be happy with either one for those two for the same reasons.

timvp
11-18-2020, 05:27 PM
No more excuses or waiting: Get something of significance done. I don't even particularly care what, just find a way to do it. It's a results oriented business, not a try hard one.

Ah, the ol' Jim Buss philosophy. Interesting.

Robz4000
11-18-2020, 05:28 PM
Watch the Spurs attach White and/or KJ to DeRozan just to take back someone like Gordon Hayward.

timvp
11-18-2020, 05:32 PM
From what I’ve heard and just using logic I have to think LMA and/or Derozan gets moved. There is no better time to do so. If it’s not tonight SA loses what already little leverage and value they have.

Pretty true, tbh.

If this draft comes and goes, the chances of either (or both ) of those two getting traded takes a big hit. The 2021 and the 2022 drafts look too good for many teams to even consider trading away their picks.

gospursgojas
11-18-2020, 05:34 PM
Please God no Poku. Tired of shooting only, frail weak ass, no defense euros.

timvp
11-18-2020, 06:19 PM
https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-obi-toppin-patrick-williams-cole-anthony/

Pretty interesting look back. Wasn't long ago that Hampton and Maledon were considered top ten picks.

Mugen
11-18-2020, 06:26 PM
Ah, the ol' Jim Buss philosophy. Interesting.

How long is the Timmy stamped free pass again? 10 years? 20? Just wanted to confirm tbh.

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 06:27 PM
On my personal Big Board without factoring in a team, I'd probably still have Killian 6-to-8 range, FWIW.

This is what I’m talking about. Look at this:

https://twitter.com/kevinoconnornba/status/1329202409885769728?s=21

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 06:28 PM
Uh oh....

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1329203349879721991?s=21

timvp
11-18-2020, 06:30 PM
How long is the Timmy stamped free pass again? 10 years? 20? Just wanted to confirm tbh.

BRB, checking the handbook.

gospursgojas
11-18-2020, 06:31 PM
Uh oh....

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1329203349879721991?s=21
Makes Wiggins more valuable to them? Or makes the need for another vet scorer (LMA) more imminent?

Mugen
11-18-2020, 06:32 PM
BRB, checking the handbook.

My man! Glad you're back slumming it with us though tbh. Thanks for the write-up btw, can't be easy researching 60+ dudes especially when 90% of them are going to be irrelevant in a season or two :lol

BackHome
11-18-2020, 06:40 PM
DEROZZ to GS rescue.

DPG21920
11-18-2020, 06:43 PM
Makes Wiggins more valuable to them? Or makes the need for another vet scorer (LMA) more imminent?

My gut says if it’s serious they are less likely to trade the pick. That would be 2 big injuries to klay and they may elect to rebuild more

NickiRasgo
11-18-2020, 07:11 PM
I thought Desmond Bane has a freakish measurement or something but was off when saw that he got a 6'6" height and just only a 6'4" wingspan.

ZeusWillJudge
11-18-2020, 07:44 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-final-big-board-2020-nba-draft/

Desmond Bane with the late rise :wow

Should be an interesting night.

I love what you've done with the place, TIMVP. I love the articles and analysis. Even when I disagree, you make it fun. I'm even more anxious now to see how the chips fall.

TimDunkem
11-18-2020, 07:46 PM
I love what you've done with the place, TIMVP. I love the articles and analysis. Even when I disagree, you make it fun. I'm even more anxious now to see how the chips fall.
Now just ban tholdren and the site will be perfect. :tu

emanueldavidginobili
11-18-2020, 08:09 PM
Either way whoever we pick will be a upgrade, let’s hope at least.

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 01:40 AM
timvp are you doing a free agency primer? Strategy, targets & trades?

tbdog
11-19-2020, 01:43 AM
My gut says if it’s serious they are less likely to trade the pick. That would be 2 big injuries to klay and they may elect to rebuild more

You can't rebuild with curry earning super max

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 01:44 AM
You can't rebuild with curry earning super max

Getting a stud with #2 on a rookie deal is definitely Leaning that way more than win now is the point.

DAF86
03-15-2021, 04:05 PM
28. Leandro Bolmaro

Bolmaro is a talented Argentine who is unlikely to drop to 41. He’s not athletic but he has enough skill with the ball in his hands to be a solid prospect. If does drop to 41, it wouldn’t be surprising if the Spurs drafted him and stashed him overseas for a year or five.

This guy is developing at a frenetic pace. If he keeps this trajectory the Wolves will get a damn steal.
timvp you had doubts about his hops? They look fine here, tbh.

zagiMuMNTLc

Those Manu vibes at 0:40 :cry

MultiTroll
03-15-2021, 04:17 PM
Looks good.
Does he want to be a Spur because of all the glowing things Manu told him about?

p.s. breast cancer awareness month or does this these players just like spthicthy uniforms?

DAF86
03-15-2021, 04:27 PM
Looks good.
Does he want to be a Spur because of all the glowing things Manu told him about?

p.s. breast cancer awareness month or does this these players just like spthicthy uniforms?

Most Argies have a soft spot for the Spurs because of Manu, but the Wolves have the rights to Bolmaro.

P/S: that's the alternate for this season. They change it every year.

Sugus
03-15-2021, 04:49 PM
This guy is developing at a frenetic pace. If he keeps this trajectory the Wolves will get a damn steal.
timvp you had doubts about his hops? They look fine here, tbh.

zagiMuMNTLc

Would've loved to have drafted Bolmaro. Firstly for the Argie X-factor, of course, but also just to add European-raised prospects on the team. We really lack some fundamental skills on a lot of players, and Euros tend to be above-average in most things that the current Spurs suck at (finishing, especially with both hands, boxing out, rebounding in general, court awareness and off-ball movement, etc). Hope he develops nicely at Barça.

RC_Drunkford
03-15-2021, 06:07 PM
Would've loved to have drafted Bolmaro. Firstly for the Argie X-factor, of course, but also just to add European-raised prospects on the team. We really lack some fundamental skills on a lot of players, and Euros tend to be above-average in most things that the current Spurs suck at (finishing, especially with both hands, boxing out, rebounding in general, court awareness and off-ball movement, etc). Hope he develops nicely at Barça.

good point. The team is really missing players like that