PDA

View Full Version : With the 41st Pick in the 2020 NBA Drat the San Antonio Spurs select...

MoSpur02
11-18-2020, 11:27 PM
Tre Jones.

MoSpur02
11-18-2020, 11:28 PM
Not sure what this means, but looks like it could be a sign that Mills is gone or Jones is going to Austin or being traded.

Dejounte
11-18-2020, 11:30 PM
Mills is gone for what? Isnt our roster full

DAF86
11-18-2020, 11:30 PM
Already better than Murray.

MoSpur02
11-18-2020, 11:31 PM
Spurs are obviously focused on bringing in guys who can defend.

Prime BEEF
11-18-2020, 11:32 PM
WTH. Don’t need more guards

J_Paco
11-18-2020, 11:33 PM
The fucking Grizzlies did us no favors by drafting the better fitting prospect right before us. Guess will just play an all guard rotation at some point next season.

Kurik
Will learn a lot from Forbes.

EasyMoney
Another guard on the roster. Wow.

timvp
Pretty good. The Spurs need point guard depth and Tre Jones is a rock solid PG for a second round pick. I don't think he has starter potential but he defends and has a decent shot of making a career as a backup PG.

Two defenders in the draft? Yeah, that's a nice change.

DAF86
11-18-2020, 11:34 PM
Murray, Mills, Tre, Q
White, Walker, Forbes
DeRozan, Keldon, Vassell
Lyles, Gay, Samanic
Aldridge, Poeltl, Drew

offset formation
11-18-2020, 11:34 PM
Spurs finally going back to the basics the last couple of draft picks, focusing on defense.

Love it. Another solid draft.

ginobilized
11-18-2020, 11:36 PM
Interesting choice. Don “small ball” Nelson was Pop’s mentor.
I was hoping for Nwora, Paul Reed or Mason Jones, but, think Tre will make the defense better and might be a solid playmaker eventually.

Mugen
11-18-2020, 11:36 PM
Spurs are obviously focused on bringing in guys who can defend.

:lol this is so fucking hilarious after watching that old fuck trot out Mills/Forbes backcourts for the last 2 years. All of a sudden he cares about defense again, gtfoutta here.

J_Paco
11-18-2020, 11:37 PM
Pretty good. The Spurs need point guard depth and Tre Jones is a rock solid PG for a second round pick. I don't think he has starter potential but he defends and has a decent shot of making a career as a backup PG.

Two defenders in the draft? Yeah, that's a nice change.

I would have preferred Robert Woodard II, but the Grizzlies picked him right before us.

Motherfuckers!

Dejounte
11-18-2020, 11:37 PM
Murray, Mills, Tre, Q
White, Walker, Forbes
DeRozan, Keldon, Vassell
Lyles, Gay, Samanic
Aldridge, Poeltl, Drew

Was about to do this.

Q is probably going to be a defender at the wing. He is long.

We are going to be so small.

jbspurs
11-18-2020, 11:38 PM
He reminds me of Cory Joseph

RC_Drunkford
11-18-2020, 11:39 PM
:lol this is so fucking hilarious after watching that old fuck trot out Mills/Forbes backcourts for the last 2 years. All of a sudden he cares about defense again, gtfoutta here.

it's safe to say Flopovich is senile and suffering from dementia

playblair
11-18-2020, 11:40 PM
WTH. Don’t need more guards
he is the best defender on the team day 1

MoSpur02
11-18-2020, 11:40 PM
I would have preferred Robert Woodard II, but the Grizzlies picked him right before us.

Motherfuckers!

Same

Atl Spur
11-18-2020, 11:41 PM

Our defense will get after it now. Why would defense / athleticism upset you? If you don’t defend, you cut! Practices will be a blood bath!!

spurraider21
11-18-2020, 11:42 PM
Was about to do this.

Q is probably going to be a defender at the wing. He is long.

We are going to be so small.
:lol thinking pop is going to put Q Anon in the rotation

JR3
11-18-2020, 11:42 PM
Average draft position in a lot of mock drafts was in the low 20s. We got him at 41. Not bad. Could have done worse here. More moves coming I’m sure.

Atl Spur
11-18-2020, 11:44 PM
Tre Jones will surprise you......

Kurik
Average draft position in a lot of mock drafts was in the low 20s. We got him at 41. Not bad. Could have done worse here. More moves coming I’m sure.

Very true, like I have nothing against the pick so long as this means other certain players are gone or traded.

D-Robinson 50 fan
I don't really understand this pick. I mean he was one of the best players available but our team doesn't really need more guards. Maybe they are going to make some trades

Chinook
11-18-2020, 11:45 PM
It's not a bad pick, and the team actually had a need there. I'd've preferred Reed or at least a center, but the board didn't look good for that anymore.

Mugen
11-18-2020, 11:45 PM
Our defense will get after it now. Why would defense / athleticism upset you? If you don’t defend, you cut! Practices will be a blood bath!!

Oh really? Is that from the same garbage coach that was the trotting out some of the worst defenses in NBA history these last few years? The same defensive genius that decided to play Bryn Fucking Forbes more MPG than either White or Murray :lol

Fuck Pop tbh

Chinook
11-18-2020, 11:46 PM
I don't really understand this pick. I mean he was one of the best players available but our team doesn't really need more guards. Maybe they are going to make some trades

The team actually did need more guards. Their front court is actually pretty full.

DAF86
11-18-2020, 11:47 PM
The team actually did need more guards. Their front court is actually pretty full.

We have no real starting PF or SF, but OK. :lol

DAF86
11-18-2020, 11:48 PM
I didn't scout this guy because fuck point guards, but I'm liking what I'm reading from him. Defense, IQ, shooting.

RC_Drunkford
11-18-2020, 11:49 PM
Oh really? Is that from the same garbage coach that was the trotting out some of the worst defenses in NBA history these last few years? The same defensive genius that decided to play Bryn Fucking Forbes more MPG than either White or Murray :lol

Fuck Pop tbh

the same genius who thought it was smart to play a Mills/Forbes/Belinelli line up in the playoffs....

John B
11-18-2020, 11:50 PM
Forbes is gone, Mills and Murray are getting traded. This is the only logical way I read this pick

tim_duncan_fan
he is the best defender on the team day 1

He's not even going to play.

Just a glut of guards for no reason.

Maybe we can get the first pick in 2021 by running five 6'5 and under guys at all times.

Then maybe they'll draft a 10th 6'4 guard #1 overall.

RC_Drunkford

WTF are you talking about????

Chinook
11-18-2020, 11:54 PM

Murray, Mills,
White, Walker,
DeRozan, Johnson, Vassell
Lyles, Gay, Samanic
Aldridge, Poeltl, Eubanks (QO)

TW: Weatherspoon (QO)

That's the roster. The front court is actually full, and the guards are lacking.

DAF86
Forbes is gone, Mills and Murray are getting traded. This is the only logical way I read this pick

Why are you acting as if a second round pick is destined to have a rotation spot? :lol Most second round picks are out of the league by the end of their first contract.

slick'81

Lma,ewwbanks,metu,lyles,poodle,gay,luka...fucking FULL

Dejounte
I didnt scout the guy either. But if he's a pest on defense like Pat Bev, then cool.

eDizzle20
11-18-2020, 11:55 PM
Picks this late are a crap shoot. Can’t go wrong with the ACC POY. Forbes would seem almost assuredly gone after tonight. If Patty isn’t traded he as well will likely not be back after the season.

MoSpur02
11-18-2020, 11:55 PM
This guy shot really well during pre-draft workouts and had a 40” vertical. :wow

DAF86
11-18-2020, 11:56 PM
Murray, Mills,
White, Walker,
Lyles, Gay, Samanic

That's the roster. The front court is actually full, and the guards are lacking.

Not a single starting caliber PF and a bunch of SGs having to play SFs. So no, the fullcourt wasn't really full. It's an insult to everyone's intelligence that you are trying to make it seem like that is the case.

KobesAchilles
11-18-2020, 11:56 PM
Why did he fall so far? Dude was more than solid at Duke. Is his athleticism bad or something? Not really seeing anything to hate with the pick.

Kurik
11-18-2020, 11:58 PM
Murray, Mills,
White, Walker,
Lyles, Gay, Samanic

This is a stretch but ok.

Prime BEEF
11-19-2020, 12:00 AM
That’s the only way drafting like this makes any sense but they won’t get traded and Vassell and Jones will be in Austin

RC_Drunkford
11-19-2020, 12:02 AM
Murray, Mills,
White, Walker,
Lyles, Gay, Samanic

stop lying to yourself :lmao :lmao

you are sliding everybody up 1 position and you know it

Lma,ewwbanks,metu,lyles,poodle,gay,luka...fucking FULL

:lmao exactly!!!

slick'81
11-19-2020, 12:02 AM
That’s the only way drafting like this makes any sense but they won’t get traded and Vassell and Jones will be in Austin

Barring a trade vassel will be glued to Austin playing behind -derozan,mills,lonnie,kj,dejounte and white etc

John B
11-19-2020, 12:03 AM
Why are you acting as if a second round pick is destined to have a rotation spot? :lol Most second round picks are out of the league by the end of their first contract.
There are rumors of Mills being shopped and possibly Murray will be packaged with LMA or Demar. Q is left as the only back-up PG. Spurs need this kid as insurance while he hones his skills in Austin.

Prime BEEF
11-19-2020, 12:05 AM
There are rumors of Mills being shopped and possibly Murray will be packaged with LMA or Demar. Q is left as the only back-up PG. Spurs need this kid as insurance while he hones his skills in Austin.
Love your optimism. Doubt they make any trades

jcrod
11-19-2020, 12:06 AM
Not a single starting caliber PF and a bunch of SGs having to play SFs. So no, the fullcourt wasn't really full. It's an insult to everyone's intelligence that you are trying to make it seem like that is the case.

Exactly. More on more guards being drafted. I'm all for drafting these defense minded guards if it means trading Mills, DeRozan and not bringing back Fobes, Marco.

John B
11-19-2020, 12:06 AM
Barring a trade vassel will be glued to Austin playing behind -derozan,mills,lonnie,kj,dejounte and white etc
Vassell could be our best 3 and D and now. I seriously hope he sees some playing time. That means no more Forbes, Beli. Mills will be traded.

objective
11-19-2020, 12:07 AM
While I don't think it's worth getting too upset over a second round pick in the 40s considering the most wished for second rounders were off the table except broken Tillie ...

The Frontcourt is not set at all

LMA - soon to be free agent
Poeltl - soon to be RFA
Eubanks - 2-way nobody
Lyles - replacement level charity case. Without Morris pulling a Kawhi, Lyles and Klutch don't even get the sympathy 5 million
Gay - decaying soon to be free agent
Samanic - hasn't proven he can shoot, defend or pass at even the G-League level. Only excels at turning the ball over more than anyone else.

The Frontcourt is in shambles in the big picture

Russ
11-19-2020, 12:07 AM
Vassell could be our best 3 and D and now. I seriously hope he sees some playing time. That means no more Forbes, Beli. Mills will be traded.

I think he could be in the rotation very early on.

slick'81
11-19-2020, 12:12 AM
While I don't think it's worth getting too upset over a second round pick in the 40s considering the most wished for second rounders were off the table except broken Tillie ...

Poeltl - soon to be RFA
Eubanks - 2-way nobody
Lyles - replacement level charity case. Without Morris pulling a Kawhi, Lyles and Klutch don't even get the sympathy 5 million
Samanic - hasn't proven he can shoot, defend or pass at even the G-League level. Only excels at turning the ball over more than anyone else.

Dont forget $metu and zeller

gospursgojas
11-19-2020, 12:14 AM
Reminds me of Corey Jospeh

XDT76
11-19-2020, 12:18 AM
Murray, Mills,
White, Walker,
Lyles, Gay, Samanic

You forgot Metu

UnWantedTheory
11-19-2020, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't consider full to necessarily mean set. No point in drafting one of those positions if they aren't going to be upgrades.

Dennis the Menace
11-19-2020, 12:29 AM
How was Tre Jones not a Top 15 pick?? He looks like the real deal on film. ACC player of the year from Duke. Holy shit. Guess who the recent player of the years from ACC are.. Zion, Marvin Bagley, Justin Jackson...

PATFO nailed this one

Chinook
11-19-2020, 12:33 AM

Poeltl - soon to be RFA
Eubanks - 2-way nobody

I mean, if they don't want to keep Poe, that's different. Then taking a center at 11 might've been the play. But yes, their front court was set. They basically didn't have an open spot besides replacing Eubanks. While I think that part of the pipeline is empty, I also think the Spurs aren't in a position where that matters. If Vassell and Jones are the best players available, then they should get priority, especially since the team needs bodies there this year.

Dennis the Menace
11-19-2020, 12:34 AM
All these people complaining about PATFO, we get it. Their management has sucked the past few years. Pop has been sinking the ship. Should’ve retired with Timmy. Beating a dead horse.

But with this draft class, looks like we got Klay Thompson lite and a legit poised defensive minded point guard who can shoot. This was a solid night all things considered.

Chinook
11-19-2020, 12:34 AM
We have no real starting PF or SF, but OK. :lol

I mean, I guess the Spurs could pick a guy at 41 who'd start at PF or SF...

Chinook
11-19-2020, 12:35 AM
This is a stretch but ok.

That's literally the roster besides Metu and Zeller, who don't do anything but underscore that the front court is full.

DAF86
11-19-2020, 12:38 AM
I mean, I guess the Spurs could pick a guy at 41 who'd start at PF or SF...

You never know, Jokic wasn't selected at 41?

Anyways, the Spurs aren't "full" on the frontcourt, don't be lying like that son, nobody buys it.

objective
11-19-2020, 12:45 AM
I mean, if they don't want to keep Poe, that's different. Then taking a center at 11 might've been the play. But yes, their front court was set. They basically didn't have an open spot besides replacing Eubanks. While I think that part of the pipeline is empty, I also think the Spurs aren't in a position where that matters. If Vassell and Jones are the best players available, then they should get priority, especially since the team needs bodies there this year.

That's literally the roster besides Metu and Zeller, who don't do anything but underscore that the front court is full.

Except the frontcourt isn't "full"

They could buy Lyles out for 1 million. He's mediocre and the bubble proved him a non-factor. Just a charity case.

Samanic isn't a good player. There's nothing he does better than Lyles and Lyles can be gone easy.

Poeltl could be pryed away

Gay is on his way to breaking down and getting a buyout

Sure, the 41st pick doesn't really flip any of that on it's head

And at 11, while I like Poku, without Jalen Smith on the board it's hard to fault them going for a wing. Precious is small and raw at 21 years old, Stewart can't jump, Nnaji ... ehhh ...

Without aggresively trading up, the balls just didn't bounce their way to improve the frontcourt.

I loved Patrick Williams. He was long gone. Okongwu and Avdija, gone. Some people even liked Toppin for some reason, gone.

But not drafting big had less to do with the Fading/Expiring/Replacement bigs/sfs on the team and more to do with the players not being there on the board, that's all. None of these 1 year players were going to stop the Spurs from drafting big anymore than the multi-year presence of Keldon and Lonnie affected picking Vassell.

Chinook
11-19-2020, 12:45 AM
You never know, Jokic wasn't selected at 41?

Anyways, the Spurs aren't "full" on the frontcourt, don't be lying like that son, nobody buys it.

The team literally has nine guys either signed to or going to be offered contracts. That's literally full. I seriously do not have a spot in the front-court rotation. That doesn't mean that if the Spurs had drafted a center that that center could not have found a roster spot. But that player would've almost certainly been in Austin. Same if not more so with a PF. This is just true, no matter how much people want to cry about it. Toppin probably would've started. Okongwu and Smith might've been in the rotation if they could do anything PF. Anyone else would've been in the d-league.

DAF86
11-19-2020, 12:51 AM
The team literally has nine guys either signed to or going to be offered contracts. That's literally full. I seriously do not have a spot in the front-court rotation. That doesn't mean that if the Spurs had drafted a center that that center could not have found a roster spot. But that player would've almost certainly been in Austin. Same if not more so with a PF. This is just true, no matter how much people want to cry about it. Toppin probably would've started. Okongwu and Smith might've been in the rotation if they could do anything PF. Anyone else would've been in the d-league.

Unlike Jones who is projected to be in the rotation? :lol

Chinook
11-19-2020, 12:53 AM

I'm leaving out the draft stuff since it's not really what we're disagreeing about.

I never said no space could be made for a front-court player. I said the roster was full. It's full even if it can be emptied. The team literally didn't have a third PG on the depth chart. Hell, they were relying on Mills being the PG of the second unit. Jones should get play pretty comfortably this season. After this season, yeah. the front court may well be Sam, Poe and nothing else. It won't be full then. It is full now.

I want just chalk it up to semantics, but it's not. People complaining about guards are those who believe Vassell, DeRozan and Johnson are guards and refuse to believe Pop is going to play them at the three. But he's obviously going to. It's not a product of not having bigger bodies, as the Carroll disaster proved. The team is going to run DeRozan at the three, and so long as Murray is on the team, he's going to start. White should start as well. That means the Spurs need PG depth. I had been penciling in a vet PG for a while now. Turns out they found a really good one in the second round. So they filled that need and got BPA. That's cool. They should not have prioritized a fourth SF/PF or a guy who at best competes with Eubanks for a spot/grabs a two-way.

Chinook
11-19-2020, 12:55 AM
Unlike Jones who is projected to be in the rotation? :lol

Right now, the Spurs have four guaranteed back-court players and Weatherspoon on a two-way QO. I don't think Jones will be in the rotation. But he's literally one injury away. That's not even true for Samanic, let alone a random second-round PF behind him.

Dejounte
11-19-2020, 12:57 AM
https://twitter.com/PaulGarciaNBA/status/1329300889006460931?s=19

RC_Drunkford
11-19-2020, 01:04 AM

there are literally 0 rumors about your proposed trade scenario out there

On another note: WTF has Chinook been drinking tonight?

DAF86
11-19-2020, 01:04 AM
Right now, the Spurs have four guaranteed back-court players and Weatherspoon on a two-way QO. I don't think Jones will be in the rotation. But he's literally one injury away. That's not even true for Samanic, let alone a random second-round PF behind him.

So, if Lyles or Gay get injured (very likely with both) who gets into the PF rotation? DeRozan? Even more reason to have another PF.

Samanic has only Lyes and Gay in front of him. Jones will have Murray, White, Mills and Weatherspoon (not to mention Pop might even prefer to play DeRozan, Walker or even Forbes at PG). I really wonder what kind of logic you use sometimes, tbh.

objective
11-19-2020, 01:06 AM
The team literally didn't have a third PG on the depth chart. Hell, they were relying on Mills being the PG of the second unit.

Yeah, they were relying on Mills because they gave him a 4/50 contract to play back up point guard. Semantics this and that, signed to play next to Manu or whatever excuse people had at the time ...

But they paid Mills as the back up point guard.

If Murray isn't at point guard, it will be White. If neither is there, it might be DeRozan as principle playmaker with Lonnie/Keldon/Vassell running with him. If not him, then Mills, who's paid pretty well for the job, and who I wouldn't be surprised is kept for several more years due to his 'leadership'.

I guess we'll see.

rankingtear
11-19-2020, 01:06 AM
Cory Joseph for sure. With White starting we need a real playmaker on the bench. Higher chance to stick in the league than most second rounders.

Em-City
11-19-2020, 01:07 AM

What starting calibre SF/PF do you get at #41?

Also... depending on match-ups, it makes sense to run derozan/Keldon @ PF for long stints as the bubble proved.

DAF86
11-19-2020, 01:08 AM
What starting calibre SF/PF do you get at #41?

That doesn't matter. I was disproving the idea that the Spurs frontcourt was "full".

BillMc
11-19-2020, 01:13 AM
Jones seems like a pretty complete player. Wonder why he didn't go higher?

Weatherspoon could be out of the rotation. Just wish we could get rid of Murray...

Dejounte
11-19-2020, 01:17 AM

Weatherspoon could be out of the rotation. Just wish we could get rid of Murray...

Weatherspoon's wingspan is 6'9". He's a combo guard who can slide over to SG. Q is one of our best defenders.

Chinook
11-19-2020, 01:20 AM
So, if Lyles or Gay get injured (very likely with both) who gets into the PF rotation? DeRozan? Even more reason to have another PF.

Samanic has only Lyes and Gay in front of him. Jones will have Murray, White, Mills and Weatherspoon (not to mention Pop might even prefer to play DeRozan, Walker or even Forbes at PG). I really wonder what kind of logic you use sometimes, tbh.

DeRozan will definitely play PF by design. That's going to happen anyway. Johnson will too. Murray and White will start, and Mills and Walker will back them up. I don't love that development, but that's what we're stuck with if the team insists on kowtowing to Murray. I fully expect Jones to play a good number of games this year. I think Quinn will be on the team too, but I doubt he'll be about Jones in the pecking order.

And lord, we are all just going to pretend like Bryn is not coming back. We don't need that bad juju going through this site.

Degoat
11-19-2020, 01:39 AM
Not that it really matters lol but Tre Jones made Cole Anthony his Beotch last season lol

PhantomDashCam
11-19-2020, 01:55 AM
I think the CoJo comparisons are fair but we are talking 4 year CoJo. Tre comes in at that level.
He will push guys in practice and think he had a good chance to earn minutes initially if not for a truncated training camp.

Spurs can run some very interesting defensive lineups and hope they experiment with such.
They can essentially run a box and 1 situationally, and variations of 2-3 and 3-2 zones if Poetl returns.

Mr. Body
11-19-2020, 02:07 AM
Jones is a shrewd pick. His brother doesn't set the world on fire, but is a plus player who can run a team and hold his own. Seems like the Spurs grabbed a late first round talent for a second rounder, not to mention one that can run a team and most especially play defense.

BillMc
11-19-2020, 02:13 AM
Jones is a shrewd pick. His brother doesn't set the world on fire, but is a plus player who can run a team and hold his own. Seems like the Spurs grabbed a late first round talent for a second rounder, not to mention one that can run a team and most especially play defense.

Except for rebounding, he's already as good as Murray, I bet. (You know, if he can dribble and run a team) . Just give him time to get acclimated.

spurs10
11-19-2020, 02:43 AM

Weatherspoon could be out of the rotation. Just wish we could get rid of Murray... Yeah I was wondering why the POY and DPOY in the ACC was chosen as #41 in the draft. There's only 10 conferences and he had the rare accomplishment of getting both awards. Doubt that has happened often.

Mr. Body
11-19-2020, 03:00 AM
Yeah I was wondering why the POY and DPOY in the ACC was chosen as #41 in the draft. There's only 10 conferences and he had the rare accomplishment of getting both awards. Doubt that has happened often.

He's not a good shooter in a league that needs good shooters.

BillMc
11-19-2020, 03:13 AM
So as a 2nd round pick will he get a 2 way contract? Or something else. Don't 2nd rounders with unusual potential sometimes get relatively big contracts? (I vaguely remember Blair getting something relatively large. Maybe I'm wrong.)

rankingtear
11-19-2020, 03:18 AM
There are only two players who won ACC player of the year and Defensive player of the year in the same season, him and Brogdon. Future rookie of the year.

BillMc
11-19-2020, 03:22 AM
DeRozan will definitely play PF by design. That's going to happen anyway. Johnson will too. Murray and White will start, and Mills and Walker will back them up. I don't love that development, but that's what we're stuck with if the team insists on kowtowing to Murray. I fully expect Jones to play a good number of games this year. I think Quinn will be on the team too, but I doubt he'll be about Jones in the pecking order.

And lord, we are all just going to pretend like Bryn is not coming back. We don't need that bad juju going through this site.

If continuing to start Murray ups his trade value, then I'm okay with it short term. But eventually you got to bench him or move him.

cd021
11-19-2020, 03:52 AM
So as a 2nd round pick will he get a 2 way contract? Or something else. Don't 2nd rounders with unusual potential sometimes get relatively big contracts? (I vaguely remember Blair getting something relatively large. Maybe I'm wrong.)
I assume its a two-way with Eubanks taking an actual roster spot, assuming he is re-signed.

TDMVPDPOY
11-19-2020, 04:24 AM
i hope this clown pushe mills out of the rotation and steals murrays starting job...

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-19-2020, 04:27 AM
Didn't expect a PG being drafted at 41, but looking back at it, it does make sense. Jones seems like an NBA player, perhaps not a great or a good one, but a decent backup PG who'll be in the league for a long time. It'll be interesting to see whether they give him the two-way or sign him to a guaranteed contract right away.

Reminds me of Monte Morris. He knows how to play.

Chinook
11-19-2020, 08:09 AM

I wouldn't assume that second-rounder will usually get two-way deals. I think SA drafted Weatherspoon specifically because he was willing to do that. But I think Jones fell to them and didn't sign on to something like that. I agree that he might get a Metu-like deal.

8FOR!3
11-19-2020, 08:29 AM
I feel like we always use the 2nd round I feel like to take high upside players who rarely pan out (on average, I know we've had some major hits through the years duh.) But it's nice to see we finally took a low ceiling high floor guy for once. Patty Mills was a second round pick, really good NBA player. Idk if Tre will ever be a great shooter, but a good defensive backup PG that can run the floor is valuable and something we really don't have as far as a 3rd PG goes.

Also I don't think any of our PGs are TRUE PGs. Tre is a true PG. He's what you want eventually running your bench unit.

Chinook
11-19-2020, 08:31 AM
I don't believe the Spurs typically go for upside in the second round. I'd only classify Metu as that out of the picks in the last decade at least.

BackHome
11-19-2020, 09:10 AM
Both draft picks will pretty much live in G League.

hombre
11-19-2020, 09:39 AM
Is there going to be a G league this year?

K...
11-19-2020, 11:09 AM
Is there going to be a G league this year?

There doing to try and do some bubble tournaments. I think it'll be a shorter season
I expect vessel to be with the team unless the g league has games to play

spurspl
11-19-2020, 11:59 AM
great pick for a 41th but theres no minutes in a recent roster for him... so basically he was drafted by austin spurs + he dropped 20 spots vs mock draft. not a good day for him

Degoat
11-19-2020, 12:04 PM
Well DWhite and Dejounte have missed sometime with injuries in their career so he potentially could get some minutes and I still think spurs move Patty mills at some point

Drom John
11-19-2020, 12:13 PM
Note that DPOY for the ACC started in 2005.
Before that time, ACC PoY that won National DPoY, 1986-2005:
Grant Hill, Tim Duncan and Shane Battier.

NickiRasgo
11-19-2020, 01:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ-jrHrfc5k

offset formation
11-19-2020, 09:45 PM
https://twitter.com/spursnxt/status/1329433250029309952?s=09

jbspurs
11-20-2020, 01:33 AM

Spurs now have a real PG. I think he's going to be a better pg than what Spurs currently have.

jbspurs
11-20-2020, 01:40 AM

They could buy Lyles out for 1 million. He's mediocre and the bubble proved him a non-factor. Just a charity case.

Samanic isn't a good player. There's nothing he does better than Lyles and Lyles can be gone easy.

Poeltl could be pryed away

Gay is on his way to breaking down and getting a buyout

Sure, the 41st pick doesn't really flip any of that on it's head

And at 11, while I like Poku, without Jalen Smith on the board it's hard to fault them going for a wing. Precious is small and raw at 21 years old, Stewart can't jump, Nnaji ... ehhh ...

Without aggresively trading up, the balls just didn't bounce their way to improve the frontcourt.

I loved Patrick Williams. He was long gone. Okongwu and Avdija, gone. Some people even liked Toppin for some reason, gone.

But not drafting big had less to do with the Fading/Expiring/Replacement bigs/sfs on the team and more to do with the players not being there on the board, that's all. None of these 1 year players were going to stop the Spurs from drafting big anymore than the multi-year presence of Keldon and Lonnie affected picking Vassell.

Lyles was non factor because he didn't play...

Mr. Body
11-20-2020, 02:18 AM
https://twitter.com/spursnxt/status/1329433250029309952?s=09

Yeah, I think people are sleeping on this pick a bit.

offset formation
11-20-2020, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I think people are sleeping on this pick a bit.

Lots of folks on here immediately trashed the pick. "Another undersized guard..."