PDA

View Full Version : To all the chicken littles, sky is falling fans..

Dennis the Menace
11-19-2020, 01:21 AM
Murray, Tre Jones (ACC Player of the year), White, Walker, Keldon, Vassell (Klay Thompson lite) = STACKED young core

For all the people complaining about 1) Bad Roster management 2) Trade skills ... maybe it’s a good thing PATFO suck at those 2 traits. Because they draft well. So why complain about the losing seasons??? Bring it on! Keep stacking & developing the drafted talent and sort it out later.

This organization’s weaknesses will feed right into their biggest strengths. So embrace it. Good things are happening. It’s called “the long game”. By the time it’s said and done they’ll have the deepest team.

By embracing their biggest weaknesses it just further strengthens their strongest ability, which will lead to STACKED. Be patient...

Degoat
11-19-2020, 01:26 AM
In Pop & Co we trust lol but seriously, people are disappointed that we didn’t make some deals but this draft went about as well as I could hope

RC_Drunkford
11-19-2020, 01:30 AM
all we need now is a good head coach and a good GM

SpurPadre
11-19-2020, 01:35 AM
I'm just glad we picked the right combination of most talented and safe players available while not going for reaches like Bey and that Pokemon dude some of you were clamoring for leading up to tonight.

ElNono
11-19-2020, 01:35 AM
sup OP, how's the lady?

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 01:37 AM
This is stupid. No offense. You can have all of that while doing trades to improve your outlook.

SpurPadre
11-19-2020, 01:39 AM
This is stupid. No offense. You can have all of that while doing trades to improve your outlook.

Agreed but this is the reality of the situation. It's hard to believe there won't be any changes before the season begins, though. Hopefully they'll surprise us and pull something off that will better set us up for the future.

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 01:41 AM
For sure. It not happening during the draft makes it less likely but definitely need to see if free agency paints a better picture

Dennis the Menace
11-19-2020, 02:01 AM

Homie. They traded Kawhi package for Derozan package, and they thought that was a good deal. In reality it was a fleecing. I don’t have any confidence in them conducting successful trades if it were to materialize.

Based on their failure of a track record, it’s probably more likely that they would get fleeced again.

Just let them stick to what they’re good at which is drafting. Which is done best by having losing record. They are less likely to screw things up that way. And based on their activity that appears to be their plan anyway.

It’s a game of minimizing risk, and they are hella good at drafting. It’s their bread & butter.

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 02:11 AM
But they aren’t losing and getting top 5 picks. They need to lose more or get more picks to have more late lottery and beyond chances.

I agree draft is their strength so trade LMA and DDR for draft picks.

phxspurfan
11-19-2020, 02:11 AM
https://media.tenor.com/images/4aa51106bc89f4c312457dca4a7e9095/tenor.gif

daslicer
11-19-2020, 02:25 AM
But they aren’t losing and getting top 5 picks. They need to lose more or get more picks to have more late lottery and beyond chances.

The problem is no team wants to give up draft picks for either. In DDR's case teams are scared off by his mental health problems. In LMA's case teams are scared off by his age. It's frustrating that our 2 best players are not considering great assets on the open market due to Age and Mental Health. It's a rare situation to be in. I"m just hoping to the miss the playoffs again. Next year's draft is suppose to be 15-20 deep. So if the Spurs even get a low lottery pick they have a high chance of actually getting a good player.

Mr. Body
11-19-2020, 02:43 AM

No one's giving draft picks for one year of over-the-hill players.

SanAntonioSpurs23
11-19-2020, 03:44 AM
The sky fell when Tim Duncan retired

tim_duncan_fan
11-19-2020, 04:40 AM
STACKED young core

Lol we don't know that any of these guys is good enough together or individually to be referred to as "stacked".

The MOST we can say is that Derrick White had a couple decent playoff games, but he seems to lack the physical ability and force of personal will to be above average on a consistent basis. He's likely just a streaky role player and yet he is well ahead of the rest of the "stacked" guards.

Prime BEEF
11-19-2020, 07:50 AM
The sky isn’t falling...it already fell

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 09:19 AM
No one's giving draft picks for one year of over-the-hill players.

Which goes to my original point: it’s an indictment on the FO for choosing those players & not acting quickly enough to trade them when their value was higher (last season)

The Truth #6
11-19-2020, 10:02 AM
Which goes to my original point: it’s an indictment on the FO for choosing those players & not acting quickly enough to trade them when their value was higher (last season)

Agreed.

After last night, I do think Pop and RC are still running the show because you would have to think that any other general manager would be able to make a trade at some point. I’m being a little bit facetious, but this was the exact same operational style that we’ve been seeing for years and years.

They are stubborn and resistant to change. That worked well with the Big Three because you didn’t have to make huge changes, and could evolve with the supporting cast. This is new territory for them and are either in denial of it, or are doing the slowest rebuild ever seen. I'm glad to hear they tried to move on from old assets that don't fit into the long range plan, so we assume that they understand the situation, I suppose. Perhaps other teams just don't want to work with Pop and RC, as I've heard they have a reputation of coming across as always being the smartest in the room.

Anyway, let's hope the Bubble was not an aberration and did in fact change how the coaching staff approaches the best way to utilize our talent. My thought: they recognize we need to do a youth movement, but will still slow pedal it.

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 10:15 AM
Yup. Is what it is now that the “damage”’was done. Not damaged as in royally screwed with no picks and awful salary cap outlook but damage as in they are behind an awful lot of teams both short and long term and will have a major uphill battle to getting back to playoff team with a ceiling.

Been skeptical about Brian Wright (some justified & some probably unfair) but while I was disappointed in no creative trades to help build for future he did very good In draft. Hearing him speak gave me confidence he understands what modern NBA players look like.

He may not have the juice to fix mistakes or be creative in trades (we will see) but I’m feeling better about the type of players SA will likely be targeting as mistakes of the past fade away. Hoping he doesn’t make a soul crushing mistake in FA (Beli Bryn Zeller etc)

ZeusWillJudge
11-19-2020, 10:22 AM
To all the chicken littles

Bok, bok!

Collins21
11-19-2020, 10:48 AM

You have to get over this trade crap. Yes it's ok to make trades and get picks but damn it's not the only way. Shit New Orleans has had more Lottery picks than Denver in the past 10 years but yet even with Zion I'd much rather be the Nuggets. I live in Denver and know some people who work for the Nuggets and they always said that tanking for picks and taking on bad contacts is something they tried to stay away from. The only trades they've really made were once around the fringes and making decision between Nurkic and Jokic. The nuggets have the future they have due to the fact that the young guys they drafted actually are fulfilling their potential and not just talking about it. If these young guys are what most of y'all believe they are then even with the vets on the team this team should be competitive. If not then even the young players y'all fawn over should be up for trade as well.

TimDunkem
11-19-2020, 10:50 AM
The Spurs will miss the playoffs again. It is what it is. The picks were fine, btw.

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 10:51 AM
I don’t need to get over the trade crap. It’s not just that they leave an insane amount of meat on the bone (which great franchises don’t do) it’s that even if they don’t believe “my way” is the best, they aren’t even doing anything in the opposite direction.

They are firmly entrenched in mediocrity and paralyzed as a front office in terms of direction.

Degoat
11-19-2020, 10:56 AM
I agree that it’s disappointing that the spurs didn’t find a way to make some deals but you gotta look at the Miami heat, When Lebron left them they were mediocre for quite some time but kept rebuilding on the fly and now they’re back as contenders

LaMarcus Bryant
11-19-2020, 11:00 AM
Any popsuckers wanna do some damage control?

K...
11-19-2020, 11:01 AM
It's very trump like the way people criticize the FO and their complaint is "this team got into the lottery and somehow has more assets" yes that's how the draft works, sir.

So you have to wait one more year to see pop, lma, and be DeRozan. Boo hoo, life sucks.

If you wanted San Antonio not to become Sacramento, then that's a legit worry, but also several years away from fruition.

JADG79
11-19-2020, 11:09 AM
Can we add Devin Vassell #11 pick to the Kahwi trade package lol
Normally draft is 20+

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 11:23 AM
I agree that it’s disappointing that the spurs didn’t find a way to make some deals but you gotta look at the Miami heat, When Lebron left them they were mediocre for quite some time but kept rebuilding on the fly and now they’re back as contenders

Sure. SA has made some incompetent decisions but I’ve always said they’ve done nothing to like irrevocably harm themselves or anything. Things could work out since that’s the case.

My frustration lies in the obvious mistakes along with not doing anything more than the bare min. The league has gotten smarter and more creative and SA has not evolved. That’s my concern. It doesn’t mean doom is guaranteed but I’m looking at where they stand and the uphill climb is getting steeper

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-19-2020, 12:02 PM
We'll see some FA moves still to come, would be my guess.

Last year, preseason, people were pretty comfortable forecasting a 50 win season with the return of Murray, but he never gelled with the starters nor developed the ability to run the offense, and I think Forbes was bringing the team down all year.

A lot can change with some small chemistry tweaks. 25 wins wouldn't surprise me next year and 45 wins wouldn't surprise me either. The Spurs are a bit of an enigma these days.

Collins21
11-19-2020, 12:08 PM
I don’t need to get over the trade crap. It’s not just that they leave an insane amount of meat on the bone (which great franchises don’t do) it’s that even if they don’t believe “my way” is the best, they aren’t even doing anything in the opposite direction.

They are firmly entrenched in mediocrity and paralyzed as a front office in terms of direction.

You really do need to get over it. Every post you make is about picks. Ask someone who works in the NBA if your strategy is the best way to build a franchise i guarantee they're going to laugh.

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 12:10 PM
You really do need to get over it. Every post you make is about picks. Ask someone who works in the NBA if your strategy is the best way to build a franchise i guarantee they're going to laugh.

1) every post is not that
2) it’s the draft and free agency and we talk about trades and picks
3) Ask any teams about building around Derozan- they will laugh.

Collins21
11-19-2020, 12:13 PM
1) every post is not that
2) it’s the draft and free agency and we talk about trades and picks
3) Ask any teams about building around Derozan- they will laugh.

Ok ask any team if they're willing to take on Batum's contact with two years left on it for a pick that's lottery protected and they will laugh. I never said I wanted to build around DeRozan but him staying this year and leaving for nothing is better than trading him and taking back a garbage contract just for a late round pick.

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 12:15 PM
Ok ask any team if they're willing to take on Batum's contact with two years left on it for a pick that's lottery protected and they will laugh. I never said I wanted to build around DeRozan but him staying this year and leaving for nothing is better than trading him and taking back a garbage contract just for a late round pick.

GS took on Wiggins for a pick. They must be idiots.

Collins21
11-19-2020, 12:19 PM
GS took on Wiggins for a pick. They must be idiots.

They took Wiggins and now they can't get rid of him without giving up a pick. Not only that like i kept saying they actually like Wiggins and plan on keeping him. What would be the use of the Spurs taking on Batums contract like you wanted to do?

The_Worlds_finest
11-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Shut up and buy your Forbes fiesta jersey

cjw
11-19-2020, 12:27 PM
They took Wiggins and now they can't get rid of him without giving up a pick. Not only that like i kept saying they actually like Wiggins and plan on keeping him. What would be the use of the Spurs taking on Batums contract like you wanted to do?

There’s a huge difference taking on an overpaid guy who is expiring like Batum, and taking on a guy in Wiggins who has two more years left on his deal after this one at over $30 million per year.

The Spurs and many other teams don’t have cap space this year anyway, so the only thing to worry about is the tax and flexibility to use the full MLE. Not sure if Charlotte plans on trying to create cap space (would need to find a partner with cap room).

But Batum gives the Spurs a lot more flexibility going forward than taking on Wiggins. They can still have a clean deck next offseason.

DPG21920
11-19-2020, 12:27 PM

If you are asking that question now there is zero use in discussing it more. You know why you simply don’t agree.

daslicer
11-19-2020, 07:48 PM

Miami looked pretty mediocre for a while. They missed the playoffs 3 out of the 6 years once Lebron left. Even last year they missed the playoffs and didn't look like a team that would be going to the finals a year later. The Butler addition was huge but I was still surprised by their run this year. A part me doesn't believe they would have gone on this run if it was a normal environment and not the bubble.

BackHome
11-19-2020, 09:10 PM
Butler is good he would easily be the best person on our team but they have drafted really well and they have a great coach and GM.