PDA

View Full Version : [POST-DRAFT VISUAL] Spurs' Current Depth Chart

Dejounte
11-19-2020, 11:37 AM
https://imgur.com/a/wSkrtct
https://i.imgur.com/Lx02S4A.png

Explanation for each position:

PG - Strictly tasked with running plays on offense
PG/SG - Has ability to run plays on offense, a secondary playmaker & shot creator
SG - Secondary playmaker & shot creator
SG/SF - Secondary playmaker & shot creator, off-ball movement shooter
SF - Off-ball movement shooter
SF/PF - Off-ball movement shooter, spot-up shooter & guards weakside
PF - Spot-up shooter & guards weakside
PF/C - Spot-up shooter & guards weakside, defensive anchor & rim-protector
C - Defensive anchor & rim-protector

Notes:
-Just because I have DeMar and Keldon listed as SG/SF doesn't mean I don't see them playing PF. It's just that when they do play the 4 in the line-up, I see them as playing a "Secondary playmaker & shot creator, off-ball movement shooter" role. Maybe that's the path the Spurs are going... to have playmakers from 1 to 4.
-I realize by next week I'm going to have to make another update with the incoming free agency period happening.
-Some players are restricted to certain positions due to their inability to defend others, i.e. Patty and Forbes can't defend 3's so instead of being a 2/3 or a strict 3, they are a strict 2.

mo7888
11-19-2020, 11:40 AM
https://imgur.com/a/wSkrtct
https://i.imgur.com/Lx02S4A.png

Explanation for each position:

PG - Strictly tasked with running plays on offense
PG/SG - Has ability to run plays on offense, a secondary playmaker & shot creator
SG - Secondary playmaker & shot creator
SG/SF - Secondary playmaker & shot creator, off-ball movement shooter
SF - Off-ball movement shooter
SF/PF - Off-ball movement shooter, spot-up shooter & guards weakside
PF - Spot-up shooter & guards weakside
PF/C - Spot-up shooter & guards weakside, defensive anchor & rim-protector
C - Defensive anchor & rim-protector

Notes:
-Just because I have DeMar and Keldon listed as SG/SF doesn't mean I don't see them playing PF. It's just that when they do play the 4 in the line-up, I see them as playing a "Secondary playmaker & shot creator, off-ball movement shooter" role. Maybe that's the path the Spurs are going... to have playmakers from 1 to 4.
-I realize by next week I'm going to have to make another update with the incoming free agency period happening.

I love these graphics you put together.... my only change is I think Kelton is in the SF bubble.. Demar might be as well..

Dejounte
11-19-2020, 11:44 AM
I love these graphics you put together.... my only change is I think Kelton is in the SF bubble.. Demar might be as well..

I understand your point, but I advise you and others to read the explanation below the graphic first. While being an off-ball shooter (even though DeMar sucks at it), DeMar is a secondary playmaker & shot creator and Keldon is on his way there. Players I would put as a strict "SF" would be players like Danny Green, Trevor Ariza, Wesley Matthews.

Now that I think about it, LMA should probably belong in the "PF/C" category because he is now also a spot-up shooter from 3. Reluctant to do so because he can't really guard 4's on defense.

The Truth #6
11-19-2020, 11:49 AM
Nice Venn diagrams!

bluebellmaniac
11-19-2020, 11:50 AM
I am not seeing the graphics.... seems like others can. Maybe my workplace filter?

Ok, checked with my phone, yeah I see the images. Must be getting filtered.

Dejounte
11-19-2020, 11:52 AM
Would also like to add that putting Mills and Bryn as strict SG's is a travesty... They really should be strict SF's but I placed them as SG's here because they are sometimes tasked with running the point (secondarily) even though they have BARE playmaking ability. These guys should be relegated to strict off-ball movement shooters only and they are way too undersized for it.

These two have to GO.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-19-2020, 11:57 AM
Nice visual!

dbestpro
11-19-2020, 12:02 PM
I actually see 9 SG, 1 PG, and no SFs. I see 5 PFs and 2 Cs. We have not had a true SF since KL.