View Full Version : Woj: Eubanks signed to 3 year contract by Spurs

TD 21
11-20-2020, 06:31 PM

timvp
11-20-2020, 06:31 PM

Very good news :tu

Chinook
11-20-2020, 06:33 PM
Dunno if they needed the MLE for that. Still implies they want to keep him around. Thought they could've done better.

timvp
11-20-2020, 06:34 PM
My guess is it's a partially guaranteed deal that pays him near the minimum. Getting that much control over a young big is really nice, especially because it will help with their forthcoming decision regarding Poeltl.

Losing Poeltl would be a lot more difficult to swallow if Eubanks was also lost.

cd021
11-20-2020, 06:34 PM
Wonder if this insurance incase we lose Poeltl. That, or they just really like him and want to lock him in as a backup big for the next three seasons.

spurs10
11-20-2020, 06:35 PM
Good move!

Chinook
11-20-2020, 06:36 PM
It's probably LMA insurance more than anything.

exstatic
11-20-2020, 06:37 PM
Dunno if they needed the MLE for that. Still implies they want to keep him around. Thought they could've done better.

My guess is that it’s probably structured like Metu’s deal, cheap, and more easily cuttable every year. It won’t be hard to move him or waive him if need be.

DesignatedT
11-20-2020, 06:37 PM
Poeltl doesn’t want to come off the bench and the Spurs do not need to start Aldridge/Poeltl/DeRozan together again. It appears Spurs want to essentially run it back though and preserve as much cap space as possible for next summer.

cd021
11-20-2020, 06:39 PM
I'm cool with bringing him back, he shows promise as a 15-18 mpg backup big. Probably isn't going to play a lot this season. unless they move Aldridge or the opt not to bring back Poeltl, but probably a move towards the future.

cjw
11-20-2020, 06:40 PM

Probably not

TD 21
11-20-2020, 06:40 PM
I'm guessing 1-2 years fully guaranteed and it has nothing to do with Poeltl. You still need a third C and that's where he'll come in.

DesignatedT
11-20-2020, 06:41 PM
I thought they had bird rights on Eubanks and this wouldn’t affect the MLE?

objective
11-20-2020, 06:41 PM

if they're an over the cap team, wouldn't a 3 year deal only be possible through a portion of the MLE?

Chinook
11-20-2020, 06:42 PM
if they're an over the cap team, wouldn't a 3 year deal only be possible through a portion of the MLE?

Apparently they had his EB rights.

timvp
11-20-2020, 06:43 PM
You still need a third C

What decade are you trapped in? :lol

Shakril
11-20-2020, 06:43 PM
It alle depends on how big the contract is. If it is around 3 mil or Bigger, i am sure Poeltl is gone. If its below that, it means only they like Eubanks.

BackHome
11-20-2020, 06:44 PM
Hopefully this means they not brining Poodle back as I would rather see what Eubanks can do as a backup getting consistent minutes.

objective
11-20-2020, 06:45 PM
Apparently they had his EB rights.

right, I forgot he'd been around for 2 years.

Dejounte
11-20-2020, 06:45 PM
He's a clear locker room guy a la Bonner. Good fit chemistry wise.

timvp
11-20-2020, 06:46 PM
Serious Question: Does Eubanks have a higher ceiling than Poeltl?

Obviously Poeltl is a lot better now but Eubanks hasn't been playing competitive basketball that long and appears to be early in his growth curve. I think there's an argument that Eubanks has a higher ceiling although there's probably only like a 10% chance he's ever better than Poeltl.

tim_duncan_fan
11-20-2020, 06:47 PM
Eubanks seems like he should be a good player. He has good athleticism. Just needs to calm down and get smarter. Needs more reps.

phxspurfan
DrewDaTowerrrr

dubross
3yrs 5.29 mil for Eubanks

objective
11-20-2020, 06:48 PM

Obviously Poeltl is a lot better now but Eubanks hasn't been playing competitive basketball that long and appears to be early in his growth curve. I think there's an argument that Eubanks has a higher ceiling although there's probably only like a 10% chance he's ever better than Poeltl.

instant reaction for me is a NO.

Shakril
11-20-2020, 06:49 PM

I dont think so. Eubanks is smaller, a tit better on offense but on Defense Poeltl is clear better. And unlike most, i believe Poeltl has not reached his ceiling yet. Enough room to growth.

Chinook

So basically a min deal, if not exactly. Depending on the guarantees, that's enough money to set Drew up for life. Happy for him, if anything else. And he's a fine enough depth player who seems to be fun to have on the bench. That's how you build culture. The Spurs' path to contending just got that much clearer.

CGD
Ok, Spurs off season done now

timvp
11-20-2020, 06:50 PM

Nice. Three-year, minimum deal. Probably only partially guaranteed.

Good stuff :tu

Shakril

Per year or all together? If per year that seals the Deal and Poeltl is gone.

szkorhetz

No.
\thread

Chinook
11-20-2020, 06:51 PM

Eubanks having the potential to stretch the floor means he might be more "future-proofed" than Poeltl. But I don't see him having the offense to make up for what seem to be innate short-comings he has on D.

tim_duncan_fan
11-20-2020, 06:51 PM

I think Eubanks has the higher ceiling, yes. He's won't be the shotblocker that Poeltl can be at times, but he has more potential offensively.

Poeltl's problem is that he likes to talk as if he wants to be more than he is currently, but nobody is seeing the work put in. Time for the guy to show some kind of growth. And the refusal to dunk is still dumb as hell.

phxspurfan
11-20-2020, 06:54 PM
I think Eubanks has the higher ceiling, yes. He's won't be the shotblocker that Poeltl can be at times, but he has more potential offensively.

Poeltl's problem is that he likes to talk as if he wants to be more than he is currently, but nobody is seeing the work put in. Time for the guy to show some kind of growth. And the refusal to dunk is still dumb as hell.

Purrtl cant ever hope to go this hard in a game

nJ5XzJ28nZ4

timvp
11-20-2020, 06:55 PM
So basically a min deal, if not exactly.

Back of napkin math of Eubanks' minimum contract:

$1,620,564.00
$1,750,209.12
$1,879,854.24
---------------
$5,250,627.36

Yeah, so safe to say it's just a three-year, minimum deal that's probably partially guaranteed.

BackHome
11-20-2020, 06:58 PM
My issue with Poodle is how can you be in the NBA this long and have ZERO offensive moves I don't think I have ever seen him take a mid range or a three point shot EVER?

TD 21
11-20-2020, 06:59 PM
What decade are you trapped in? :lol

The one where teams still employ 3 C's. Look around. Some actually have more for some reason.

Shakril
11-20-2020, 07:02 PM
My issue with Poodle is how can you be in the NBA this long and have ZERO offensive moves I don't think I have ever seen him take a mid range or a three point shot EVER?

Given the minutes, he is a regular double double player. Dont know how much you want him to score. I have no issue with his offense. Only with his Free Throws.

Mr. Body
11-20-2020, 07:03 PM
Eubanks hsa great athleticism for a backup and a scrappy desire to get better. His ceiling may be fairly low, but he's a good dude to cheer off the bench and take spot duties.

phxspurfan
11-20-2020, 07:03 PM
Eubanks having the potential to stretch the floor means he might be more "future-proofed" than Poeltl. But I don't see him having the offense to make up for what seem to be innate short-comings he has on D.

This. DrewDaTower can be Baynes 2.0 which is far more valuable in Todays NBA than a Charmin soft big who wilts in important games/circumstances and only skills are blocks and setting screens. Also no way Purrtls skills translate to more than 6M/year since everyone in Todays NBA has an offensive skillset.

daslicer
11-20-2020, 07:04 PM
This guy is a Chris Anderson type of player. High energy and good hustle.

timvp
11-20-2020, 07:06 PM
The one where teams still employ 3 C's. Look around. Some actually have more for some reason.

You said the Spurs need three centers. No team needs three centers these days. Maybe back in 1995 but not today :lol

phxspurfan
Eubanks hsa great athleticism for a backup and a scrappy desire to get better. His ceiling may be fairly low, but he's a good dude to cheer off the bench and take spot duties.

This. Hes clear cut for the Baynes role (tough backup C / enforcer / can hit a shot or two in Todays NBA). Previous guys in this role were Massenburg, Kevin Willis, arguably Nazr (Rasho was clearly better), and ofc Baynes

Darius Bieber
They’re paying Demarre Carroll more than Eubanks next year :lol

**BUSTA**
11-20-2020, 07:07 PM

Barring trades, only questions are Poeltl and Q. I think Jones gets an NBA roster spot with the Spurs, or else another team signs him.

Chinook
11-20-2020, 07:07 PM
You said the Spurs need three centers. No team needs three centers these days. Maybe back in 1995 but not today :lol

It'd make sense if Teeds were stuck back in 95. He acts like the Spurs have never won a title.

Prime BEEF
11-20-2020, 07:10 PM
lmao. sad but true

rankingtear
11-20-2020, 07:11 PM

His floater is pretty good.

phxspurfan
11-20-2020, 07:12 PM
Barring trades, only questions are Poeltl and Q. I think Jones gets an NBA roster spot with the Spurs, or else another team signs him.

Q is gone in favor of Forbes

TD 21
11-20-2020, 07:13 PM

You do. I didn't say old school stiffs, but you do need at least 3 players who can credibly play each position.

pad300
11-20-2020, 07:13 PM

I really doubt it. Q's on a 2-way. Forbes won't take a 2-way.

poopbox
11-20-2020, 07:14 PM

How this team decides to play offense would determine this answer. One thing for sure is Eubanks is WAY more physical than Poeltl around the rim. Pop won't ever have to yell at Eubanks to dunk the ball like he does Poeltl...pretty much every game...

I've at least seen workout videos of Eubanks shooting 3's. I don't think I have ever seen Poeltl shoot a straight up jumpshot before

timvp
11-20-2020, 07:14 PM
You do. I didn't say old school stiffs, but you do need at least 3 players who can credibly play each position.

Lyles can't play center? Hell, even Gay played center quite a bit last year.

TD 21
11-20-2020, 07:17 PM
Lyles can't play center? Hell, even Gay played center quite a bit last year.

In certain situations, but if Aldridge/Poeltl (or whoever) is down for an extended period, I wouldn't want to have to be forced to play them their.

Shakril
11-20-2020, 07:18 PM
This. DrewDaTower can be Baynes 2.0 which is far more valuable in Todays NBA than a Charmin soft big who wilts in important games/circumstances and only skills are blocks and setting screens. Also no way Purrtls skills translate to more than 6M/year since everyone in Todays NBA has an offensive skillset.

You probably should watch some games. Poeltls impact on the game is far bigger than blocking shots and setting screens. But yeah you probably like more fans, only see the flashy stuff. *smh*

The Truth #6
11-20-2020, 07:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing, and all related to his outside jump shot. He won’t be as good defensively but he has more quick twitch and hops, and some of that “nasty” that Pop occasionally clamors for.

BackHome
11-20-2020, 07:25 PM
If I want the Spurs to maybe get 8th seed at best I pick up Poodle if I want to get a good draft pick in next draft and have a lot of cap space I roll with Eubanks.

timvp
11-20-2020, 07:25 PM
In certain situations, but if Aldridge/Poeltl (or whoever) is down for an extended period, I wouldn't want to have to be forced to play them their.

Lyles looked fine last year when Aldridge and Poeltl were out. Averaged something like 15 and 7, IIRC.

Loading up on traditional centers is useless in today's NBA. Someone like Lyles can easily be a third string center.

**BUSTA**
11-20-2020, 07:26 PM
I really doubt it. Q's on a 2-way. Forbes won't take a 2-way.

he's talking roster spot. and i am afraid he's right. i am VERY AFRAID.

The Truth #6
11-20-2020, 07:26 PM

Or Jakob? Ugh.

Gibbz
11-20-2020, 07:28 PM
I dig

murpjf88
11-20-2020, 07:30 PM
My guess is it's a partially guaranteed deal that pays him near the minimum. Getting that much control over a young big is really nice, especially because it will help with their forthcoming decision regarding Poeltl.

Losing Poeltl would be a lot more difficult to swallow if Eubanks was also lost.

Agreed. losing Eubank's 4.9 points and 3.9 rebounds in 12 minutes of garbage time per game would be a tough pill to swallow.

tonight...you
Great move. I shall grow my beard an inch longer in celebration.

The Truth #6
It will be interesting to see how this affects the Jakob decision (I think it means he is gone) and the LMA trade scenarios (I think it limits who could come back... I mean, it would have to be a big man).

offset formation
11-20-2020, 07:31 PM

I'm in year 0 of my NBA career and I shoot better from 5 ft to infinity than he does. Drew seems to have a nice hook shot he's working on and is clearly better than Poeltl from the 10-15 foot range. If he can improve his defense and get better in the PnR and PnP, he'll be a better option long term just because he's already a better shooter.

pad300
11-20-2020, 07:34 PM
he's talking roster spot. and i am afraid he's right. i am VERY AFRAID.

The 2 way spots are separate from the basic 15. You can't drop Forbes into Q's spot, it just doesn't work.

koriwhat
11-20-2020, 07:35 PM
eubanks is good when given time on the court from what i've seen thus far.

GAustex
11-20-2020, 07:36 PM
They’re paying Demarre Carroll more than Eubanks next year :lol
Poop at his most senile

cjw
11-20-2020, 07:49 PM
This is a no brainer for the minimum. Look at all the musical chairs going on around the league trying to find playable backup bigs. Eubanks is likely ideally a third big and has his limitations, but much rather hand out a deal like this than waste even a second rounder on a project.

Maddog
11-20-2020, 07:55 PM
Good move.
Also happy for him. Seems like a good guy

J_Paco
11-20-2020, 08:01 PM
So basically a min deal, if not exactly. Depending on the guarantees, that's enough money to set Drew up for life. Happy for him, if anything else. And he's a fine enough depth player who seems to be fun to have on the bench. That's how you build culture. The Spurs' path to contending just got that much clearer.

I like Drew a lot either as a 3rd or eventually 2nd center, but signings like this aren't helping clear up the team's direction at all. I think we need to find at least one, possibly two, franchise changing prospect(s) to even start that conversation.

If they bottom out, move one or more veterans at the deadline and end up with a lottery pick next off-season then we can return to that.

RC_Drunkford
11-20-2020, 08:19 PM
Good deal tbh. The thing with Eubanks is he can easily play the 4 if he hits 3s consistently. And he has been working on shooting them for a while now. Eubanks with a 3-point shot would actually be a decent PF

tim_duncan_fan
11-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Eubanks is great when you remember this team used to have Jeff "Errors" Pendergraph.

Anything is better than that.

murpjf88
11-20-2020, 08:38 PM
Good deal tbh. The thing with Eubanks is he can easily play the 4 if he hits 3s consistently. And he has been working on shooting them for a while now. Eubanks with a 3-point shot would actually be a decent PF
One career three pointer doesn't make you a three point shooter.

BackHome
11-20-2020, 08:39 PM
I remember before this past season he said the Spurs wanted him to work on his outside and 3 ball

peacemaker885
11-20-2020, 08:43 PM
Glue guy.

SpursDynasty85
11-20-2020, 08:43 PM
Lyles looked fine last year when Aldridge and Poeltl were out. Averaged something like 15 and 7, IIRC.

Loading up on traditional centers is useless in today's NBA. Someone like Lyles can easily be a third string center.

I was thinking he could be a starting center in today’s NBA. Him and Samanic could be a very versatile combo up front.

KobesAchilles
11-20-2020, 08:44 PM
I rather have him than Poetl. Dude reminds me of Baynes

Shakril
11-20-2020, 08:47 PM
I rather have him than Poetl. Dude reminds me of Baynes

You are just a hater. Dont even know what your Problem is with him. But to say you have rather Eubanks than Poeltl, shows your lack of understanding how the game is played.

timvp
11-20-2020, 08:49 PM
Thinking about it, the speed at which they signed Eubanks is a little weird. You wouldn't think he'd be a priority, especially because he was restricted. Maybe the Spurs found at Poeltl wasn't going to come back so they just got the Eubanks deal over with to eliminate any risk ... or maybe it's as simple as controlling him for three years at the minimum was too much of a no-brainer. I guess we'll see.

pad300
11-20-2020, 08:52 PM
Thinking about it, the speed at which they signed Eubanks is a little weird. You wouldn't think he'd be a priority, especially because he was restricted. Maybe the Spurs found at Poeltl wasn't going to come back so they just got the Eubanks deal over with to eliminate any risk ... or maybe it's as simple as controlling him for three years at the minimum was too much of a no-brainer. I guess we'll see.

I'd say 3 years at the minimum was too much of a no brainer. I don't see a lot of impact on a Poetl deal.

Shakril
11-20-2020, 08:52 PM

Its the latter. 1,5 per year, does leave more than enough room for poeltl. Also Poeltl is a RFA, which means those deals are known later in the day. I actually see him signing 6/year deal (length i dont know), watching what is happening around the league right now.

Mr. Body
11-20-2020, 08:53 PM

Maybe they're showing -- publicly -- loyalty to a player who has busted his ass and has been a terrific teammate on the bench. I doubt they'd announce anything quickly on Poetl as they two parties are probably at least a bit apart on terms and seeing if there is any other interest. That's how they've often done it in the past, letting the player feel out offers.

Chinook
11-20-2020, 08:53 PM

I think they knew they wanted Eubanks back the moment they didn't select a center in the draft. Poeltl or whatever had little to do with it. They wanted him, Eubanks was willing to take basically the most team-friendly deal possible. No reason not to get it done.

RC_Drunkford
11-20-2020, 09:06 PM
One career three pointer doesn't make you a three point shooter.

if you would follow he has been working on it since last years offseason. He can shoot them, it's just a matter of at what percentage he can knock them down

gambit1990
11-20-2020, 09:08 PM
frontcourt needed some shoring up. it's not necessarily poeltl insurance but it kinda is by default.

gambit1990
11-20-2020, 09:12 PM
i don't expect much from him. not a bad decision though, the money's right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqa29HYtajQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UaVMBVh3RY

paperboy77
11-20-2020, 09:18 PM
This is great news! This the kind of "home-grown" player everyone is happy about. The kid's got game and is always learning. He surprises a lot of opponents with his hops.

So far so good. Now please send Forbes away like Metu.

ginobilized
11-20-2020, 09:19 PM
Super happy for Eubanks!
He must be pretty excited and a small NBA contract is nothing to sneeze at.
His chemistry with teammates and body language are stellar. He’s got a lot to learn and some limitations, but, a solid move.
I’m really starting to wonder if LMA is coming back. Too bad the GS trade fizzled. Who has the right pieces for a trade?

CGD
11-20-2020, 09:21 PM
This is great news! This the kind of "home-grown" player everyone is happy about. The kid's got game and is always learning. He surprises a lot of opponents with his hops.

So far so good. Now please send Forbes away like Metu.

I think this is a big part of the story. They want to show that the D league to NBA pipeline is legit, and that the “programs” are integrated. There is a decent track record: Simmons, Forbes, and now Drew.

slick'81
11-20-2020, 09:22 PM
Good cheap deal for a good third big with "some"upside

they should bring lyles back and lets see what happens with poodle power

ducks
11-20-2020, 09:23 PM
Agreed. losing Eubank's 4.9 points and 3.9 rebounds in 12 minutes of garbage time per game would be a tough pill to swallow.

Takes time to learn spurs system

Truth4sale$
11-20-2020, 09:29 PM
Good cheap signing. Would not be the 1st signing i would have done but every team needs but this type of player. He stays within his skillset, brings great hustle and a some toughness. He will make Samanic work hard in practice.

spurraider21
11-20-2020, 09:45 PM
great signing at that price :tu

The Truth #6
11-20-2020, 09:50 PM
Easily could be negotiating leverage against Jakob, which is why I think Jakob is gone. If the Spurs remember how trades work, this could very slightly suggest a small hope that LMA still has a trade partner (for a combo forward type, ideally) and that they will sign Jakob. But seriously, that’s way too many moving parts for this organization. And sort of ostentatious. That’s the sort of fancy stuff Presti and Morey do!

The Truth #6
11-20-2020, 10:02 PM
The LMA to GSW is still remotely on the table for me. GSW is in WIN NOW MODE and what if Teen Wolf Wiesman gets MAULED a couple off games or three to the lakers and the clippers? That Trade is still on the table before the deadline in my opinion and in that scenario LMA value would be at an all time HIGH. They cant wait 4 years for him to GROW UP.

It’s a good point. Also, if Bubble Derozan returns, and with Klay out, you could even argue they will need someone to replace his production. A longshot. But if we get the best versions of both LMA and DD this season, a trade could happen. I mean, in theory.

cjw
11-20-2020, 10:04 PM
It’s a good point. Also, if Bubble Derozan returns, and with Klay out, you could even argue they will need someone to replace his production. A longshot. But if we get the best versions of both LMA and DD this season, a trade could happen. I mean, in theory.

If bubble DeRozan shows up and LMA is playing at a high level, the Spurs finish ahead of the Warriors in the standings. No trade will happen then.

Thomas82
11-20-2020, 10:37 PM
The LMA to GSW is still remotely on the table for me. GSW is in WIN NOW MODE and what if Teen Wolf Wiesman gets MAULED a couple off games or three to the lakers and the clippers? That Trade is still on the table before the deadline in my opinion and in that scenario LMA value would be at an all time HIGH. They cant wait 4 years for him to GROW UP.

I was thinking the same thing. The Warriors shouldn't let Klay's injury affect this deal. I'm still holding out hope.

KobesAchilles
11-20-2020, 10:49 PM
You are just a hater. Dont even know what your Problem is with him. But to say you have rather Eubanks than Poeltl, shows your lack of understanding how the game is played.
I mean Poetl isn’t a starter in this league. He’s a bench player. Dude fouls too much. And I don’t feel like giving a $10 million deal to a bench player. I like Poetl, but unless we sign him for like 5 mil a year then he can walk. Pop plays the dude like 12 minutes a game anyways. So I’m not the only “hater”

TimDunkem
11-20-2020, 10:51 PM
I mean Poetl isn’t a starter in this league. He’s a bench player. Dude fouls too much. And I don’t feel like giving a $10 million deal to a bench player. I like Poetl, but unless we sign him for like 5 mil a year then he can walk. Pop plays the dude like 12 minutes a game anyways. So I’m not the only “hater”
Spot on.

Gibbz
11-20-2020, 10:52 PM

That's big facts. He's completely against what SA does because of the foul problems. He has some decent tools but he's never gonna get big minutes here because he can't quit fouling. He's an ideal backup energy big and this team is not in a spot where he's worth $8mil+ per year.

Mr. Body
11-20-2020, 10:54 PM
SpursTalk:

Keldon Johnson is going to turn into Michael Jordan.
Also, Jakob Poetl will never get better in any fashion.

Dejounte
11-20-2020, 10:55 PM
And he can't shoot. Even LMA and Gasol learned to shoot 3's after one season. Is he just not a hard worker?

TimDunkem
11-20-2020, 10:57 PM
That's big facts. He's completely against what SA does because of the foul problems. He has some decent tools but he's never gonna get big minutes here because he can't quit fouling. He's an ideal backup energy big and this team is not in a spot where he's worth $8mil+ per year.
Also, for the millionth time, adequate centers are a dime a dozen these days. No need to get wrapped up in a foul prone big who can't seem to improve his game. Spurs never had trouble moving on from those guys and shouldn't have any with Poeltl if he doesn't accept the QO.

Gibbz
11-20-2020, 10:58 PM
SpursTalk:

Keldon just turned 21 and showed more in the Bubble than Jak has in his entire stint here. Jak could be good but SA historically does not like foul-prone bigs.

Mr. Body
11-20-2020, 11:05 PM
Keldon just turned 21 and showed more in the Bubble than Jak has in his entire stint here. Jak could be good but SA historically does not like foul-prone bigs.

Keldon becoming Jordan confirmed!

offset formation
11-20-2020, 11:07 PM

You don't think you have because he hasn't. Nor would you want him to do so as he'd likely miss the entire goal.

Gibbz
11-20-2020, 11:07 PM
Keldon becoming Jordan confirmed!

Looks like you're trying to shape your own narrative here.

Shakril
11-20-2020, 11:10 PM

Well Jak was not playing for Austin. I was Watching the San Antonio Spurs, and there it was very qickly clear, that his defense is extraordinary. Every stat shows, that the Spurs are better with him on the court.

Foul Prone is funny when you see the calls he gets. They are ridicoulos. As much as Keldon was nice in the Bubble he has not shown more than Poeltl.

Problem with your analysis is, that you only look for the flashy things. But dig deeper, not just in the numbers, but the plays Poeltl makes.

Everytime he steps on the court, you see automaticly a shift for the better in the team.

The notion that Poeltl has reached his ceiling with 25 years of age as center is laughable. Most centers reach their peak turning between 28 - 30.

Poeltl will not be an Allstar, but to say he reached his ceiling or even comparing him to eubanks, shows a lack of understanding how teambasketball works.

TimDunkem
11-20-2020, 11:11 PM
Still not worth it.

Mr. Body
11-20-2020, 11:27 PM
Looks like you're trying to shape your own narrative here.

Lol. Have you read this board?

Gibbz
11-20-2020, 11:31 PM
Lol. Have you read this board?

I try not to

XDT76
11-21-2020, 12:07 AM

Maybe a incoming trade for LMA and they do not want to be held ransom by Poeltl.

TheCerebral1
11-21-2020, 03:13 AM
Eubanks is just what we are, trash.

ceperez
11-21-2020, 09:04 AM
Eubanks is an undersized center.

His only plus is that he can use both hands.

But... maybe in today's smaller NBA, he might be okay... if he can shoot from outside.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 09:09 AM
Apparently Keldon is really happy about this signing.

Instead of letting go a buddy (like JSimms and Dedmon for Kawhi), they understand they have to make their rising stars happy with friends.

D-Robinson 50 fan
11-21-2020, 11:45 AM
I’m happy for him. Dude is a really good energy guy who can hit a medium range jumper. A solid bench big for a cheap price.

offset formation
11-21-2020, 01:24 PM
SpursTalk:

What's Jakob going to get better at? Four things he needs to:

1. Stop fouling as much (doable)
2. Finish better at rim -- fucking dunk the ball (doable)
3. Increase his FT% (feasible)
4. Regularly hit a shot beyond 6 feet (highly unlikely)

So he could get marginally better, but he's simply never going to be a nightly offensive threat, and his minutes rely heavily on staying out of foul trouble. He'll have a game or two where the PnR is going well and get 18-20 pts, but it'll never become the norm or avg.

So what you see is pretty much what you're gonna get from him, imo.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 01:32 PM
We've gotten to a point where I think a lot of fans here might not remember the 2010-2013 years very well. But the Spurs used to have crazy depth, with third-stringers who could come in and play with a lot of first units. That comes from having low-end players who are on the team for years. Things like Patty signing a deal less than his QO to stay, Neal basically on a three-year min deal, Blair on his four-year deal and having first-round picks to fill out the roster made it to where there was a stable of options to come in and play when needed. Getting a low-end rotation-caliber big like Eubanks for a deal with that much option value is a big win for returning to those days. His deal is so small that he never has to improve in order to justify his salary. LMA and maybe even Poeltl can move on, and the Spurs can replace them with new bigs who get time over Drew, and that's fine. It' builds depth. Jones on a three-year deal would build depth. Weatherspoon signing on builds depth. The team's top is weak, but it's middle and bottom are actually very competitive.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 01:36 PM
We've gotten to a point where I think a lot of fans here might not remember the 2010-2013 years very well. But the Spurs used to have crazy depth, with third-stringers who could come in and play with a lot of first units. That comes from having low-end players who are on the team for years. Things like Patty signing a deal less than his QO to stay, Neal basically on a three-year min deal, Blair on his four-year deal and having first-round picks to fill out the roster made it to where there was a stable of options to come in and play when needed. Getting a low-end rotation-caliber big like Eubanks for a deal with that much option value is a big win for returning to those days. His deal is so small that he never has to improve in order to justify his salary. LMA and maybe even Poeltl can move on, and the Spurs can replace them with new bigs who get time over Drew, and that's fine. It' builds depth. Jones on a three-year deal would build depth. Weatherspoon signing on builds depth. The team's top is weak, but it's middle and bottom are actually very competitive.

And the "middle" has the potential to reach the "top", and the "bottom" has potential to reach the "middle". It's a pipeline.

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 01:38 PM
:lol Years ago I recommended Spurstalk to a fellow Spurs' fan that I used to play pick up with-- a week later I saw him and he said "Why the hell do people on that site spend so much time complaining about Jeff Ayres?? He's literally the last guy off the bench!" That was a pretty good observation.

Mr. Body
11-21-2020, 01:55 PM
:lol Years ago I recommended Spurstalk to a fellow Spurs' fan that I used to play pick up with-- a week later I saw him and he said "Why the hell do people on that site spend so much time complaining about Jeff Ayres?? He's literally the last guy off the bench!" That was a pretty good observation.

This is one of the worst fan forums in the NBA.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-21-2020, 01:59 PM

I hope they can get Jones to sign a Metu type deal with a part of the MLE. His style is perfect for a 2nd/3rd string PG and he could play right away if there’s no g-league. That depth you’re talking about will be even more important with a crammed up schedule. Dudes will sit out games on the regular and there’ll be minutes for everyone.

Seventyniner
11-21-2020, 02:06 PM
I hope they can get Jones to sign a Metu type deal with a part of the MLE. His style is perfect for a 2nd/3rd string PG and he could play right away if there’s no g-league. That depth you’re talking about will be even more important with a crammed up schedule. Dudes will sit out games on the regular and there’ll be minutes for everyone.

Can the Spurs use the room exception on Jones? Or is it moot because using the MLE would push them into the tax, which is unlikely to be worthwhile?

BackHome
11-21-2020, 02:11 PM

I would agree to a point and that is I don’t think will ever be able to sign an elite free agent that was not drafted by us so in other words only way to get top tier talent is to tank and draft.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 02:16 PM
Can the Spurs use the room exception on Jones? Or is it moot because using the MLE would push them into the tax, which is unlikely to be worthwhile?

Room exception only comes into play if a team is under the tax. Plus it's for only two years. Using part of the MLE on a three-year deal near the min ala Metu is the best option

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-21-2020, 02:17 PM

Suppose you mean the bi-annual exception as the room exception is for teams using cap space and Spurs have operated above the cap. I suppose it won’t matter which exception they use to sign him as it’ll likely be a min deal but the years would matter, unless they plan to use the whole MLE at some point but this seems unlikely.

pad300
11-21-2020, 03:43 PM
Maybe I've forgotten something, but do we need to use an exception at all to sign Jones? IIRC you can always sign a player to a vet minimum contract (without needing an exception, even if over cap). Presumably that's all Jones is going to get anyways...

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Maybe I've forgotten something, but do we need to use an exception at all to sign Jones? IIRC you can always sign a player to a vet minimum contract (without needing an exception, even if over cap). Presumably that's all Jones is going to get anyways...

If they want to sign him for 3+ years then they'll have to use the MLE.

ZeusWillJudge
11-21-2020, 05:35 PM

Very good news :tu

Not a bad signing at that price.

BTW - I checked that weather report. Not a single cold day in the forecast.

TD 21
11-21-2020, 06:18 PM

:lmao At the guy who once proclaimed DeRozan's "range started at 15" and is now spouting small sample size counting stats without context pretending I'm stuck in the past because I said something that's true.

Skillsets/body types of C's have changed (which is why plenty of converted or would have in the past been PF's now play it), but the need for 3 hasn't. Where bigs have lost jobs is more so at PF, which has mostly become a big wing position.

It'd make sense if Teeds were stuck back in 95. He acts like the Spurs have never won a title.

:lmao Beats pretending they win it every year, claiming they have the talent to contend and acting like their pseudo stars belong in the same sentence as superstars and stars.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 09:50 PM
:lmao Beats pretending they win it every year, claiming they have the talent to contend and acting like their pseudo stars belong in the same sentence as superstars and stars.

I actually don't think it does.

MultiTroll
11-24-2020, 02:07 PM
Solid signing.

Much better then Poodle.

SAGirl
08-19-2021, 01:10 PM
https://twitter.com/thetyjager/status/1426547936473894912?s=21 (https://twitter.com/thetyjager/status/1426547936473894912?s=21)

FlAVaK
08-19-2021, 01:25 PM
B5eighqFLGT

11/2019: "Always Keep A Shooter Witchu!!"

SAGirl
08-19-2021, 01:55 PM
^ yup already building chemistry for that bench unit.

pookenstein
08-19-2021, 02:04 PM
:stirpot:
Already preparing to be traded together...

The Truth #6
08-19-2021, 02:10 PM
https://twitter.com/thetyjager/status/1426547936473894912?s=21 (https://twitter.com/thetyjager/status/1426547936473894912?s=21)

Hilarious caption. “Grinding together”.

Regardless. Good to see them doing their job.

Sugus
08-19-2021, 02:13 PM

Fvck!

Flawless
08-19-2021, 02:18 PM
I don't know why people hate Eubanks, seems like a good dude and actually tries to get better. If he can hit that 3 point shot more frequently they I don't see why he can't have a good long career as a bench big.

Drom John
08-19-2021, 03:49 PM
I don't know why people hate Eubanks, seems like a good dude and actually tries to get better. If he can hit that 3 point shot more frequently they I don't see why he can't have a good long career as a bench big.

I think you are misreading. I don't see general hating of Eubanks. Instead I see temporary guilt by association of Drew's grinding partner.

wildbill2u
08-19-2021, 04:07 PM
Probably need to retire this old thread on Eubanks and start one that is ccurrent. If it stays current then isn't it eating up bandwitdth for our sponsoring owner (whoever that is)

John B
08-19-2021, 05:34 PM

Oh my, as if Luka didn’t already have a lot to worry about. And now Eewbanks also?

Mr. Body
08-19-2021, 06:11 PM
I'm a big fan of Eubanks. He's a tough, badass player who works hard. He hit a three last year that showed great form and touch and it seemed like he could definitely add that to his game. I don't want to give up on him, but the influx of bigs seems like the team might look the other way.

jjspur
08-19-2021, 08:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Eubanks. He's a tough, badass player who works hard. He hit a three last year that showed great form and touch and it seemed like he could definitely add that to his game. I don't want to give up on him, but the influx of bigs seems like the team might look the other way.

I'm also a fan. I'm sure he knows he's an end of the bench type guy, but he gives it his all when his number is called and he tries to improve his overall game. Can't ask for more than that. Wish more players had his attitude. He's worked his way to be small cog in the spurs machine and I would hate to see him cut or even traded.

mookie2001
08-19-2021, 09:38 PM
I like Eubanks. His first step is quicker than D White btw

BackHome
08-20-2021, 01:18 AM
Yeah I like him to he is a solid bench player and a great person in the locker room I think everyone likes him - He has a great work ethic and is definitely putting in the time also he is a bruiser/enforcer which we really need.

Coach X
08-20-2021, 12:34 PM
Eubanks won’t shoot a single 3 in a p&pop action with Forbes if he passes the ball that way. There are clips of Forbes practicing dribbling but what creation demands is not only ability to go through the defense but the passing quality to actually helping your teammates to score.

We are going to miss DeRozan so much

TimDunkem
08-20-2021, 02:25 PM
Damn it's going to be a long season...

exstatic
08-20-2021, 02:59 PM
Eubanks won’t shoot a single 3 in a p&pop action with Forbes if he passes the ball that way. There are clips of Forbes practicing dribbling but what creation demands is not only ability to go through the defense but the passing quality to actually helping your teammates to score.

We are going to miss DeRozan so much

Whites a better and more willing passer than DeRozan ever was, and he doesn’t dribble into traffic without a plan like DD often did.

Chinook
08-20-2021, 03:10 PM
Whites a better and more willing passer than DeRozan ever was, and he doesn’t dribble into traffic without a plan like DD often did.

White's the best player on the Spurs by far right now, but he isn't on DeRozan's level, even as a play-maker. It takes more than passing ability to create for others. DeRozan last year was basically Prime Tony without the benefit of having a team built to his strengths. You give DeMar the 2012-2013 cast, and he would've been MVP with SA winning the title. Not that DeRozan was a better defender than Prime Parker though. I'm more saying that no, White doesn't just replace that.

Forbes can create enough to where team's have to watch him off the dribble. But he'll hopefully be the fourth option in such instances and just has to make the right pass to the open man as the defense is scrambling. As far as the first option, right now the Spurs are basically having to hope Walker takes the next step or Primo grows up fast. They're sorely lack in structure right now.

TD 21
08-20-2021, 03:20 PM
You give DeMar the 2012-2013 cast, and he would've been MVP with SA winning the title.

:lmao

Chinook
08-20-2021, 03:26 PM
:lmao

The Spurs were obviously really close with Parker hobbled. It's not absurd to think they'd've finished the job with a relative ironman having a career year in his place. Parker basically never had a bad supporting cast, so people can't divorce his production from context. DeRozan would've exploded last year with 2013 Green and Leonard as his running mates.

exstatic
08-20-2021, 03:50 PM
White's the best player on the Spurs by far right now, but he isn't on DeRozan's level, even as a play-maker. It takes more than passing ability to create for others. DeRozan last year was basically Prime Tony without the benefit of having a team built to his strengths. You give DeMar the 2012-2013 cast, and he would've been MVP with SA winning the title. Not that DeRozan was a better defender than Prime Parker though. I'm more saying that no, White doesn't just replace that.

Forbes can create enough to where team's have to watch him off the dribble. But he'll hopefully be the fourth option in such instances and just has to make the right pass to the open man as the defense is scrambling. As far as the first option, right now the Spurs are basically having to hope Walker takes the next step or Primo grows up fast. They're sorely lack in structure right now.

White is SO much better in the pick and roll than DD, it isn’t even funny. As for him being or not being on DeRozans level, they just need to play Moneyball, and replace DeRozan in the aggregate. 22 points, 7 assists, 4 boards. Spread that out between DJ, White, Keldon, Vassell, Lonnie, Luka. Definitely doable.

Chinook
08-20-2021, 03:59 PM
White is SO much better in the pick and roll than DD, it isn’t even funny. As for him being or not being on DeRozans level, they just need to play Moneyball, and replace DeRozan in the aggregate. 22 points, 7 assists, 4 boards. Spread that out between DJ, White, Keldon, Vassell, Lonnie, Luka. Definitely doable.

Moneyball doesn't work in basketball. It's one of the worst teams sports for it due to how few players are on the court and how the players play both sides of the ball. White was great in the PnR last year. DMDR was elite at it. I don't think people realize how great of an offensive season DeMar had. It was possibly top-10 in Spurs history, though someone like Drom John will likely have something to say about it.

boutons_deux
08-20-2021, 04:16 PM
White can't stay healthy

TD 21
08-20-2021, 04:53 PM
The Spurs were obviously really close with Parker hobbled. It's not absurd to think they'd've finished the job with a relative ironman having a career year in his place. Parker basically never had a bad supporting cast, so people can't divorce his production from context. DeRozan would've exploded last year with 2013 Green and Leonard as his running mates.

You're underrating '12-'13 Parker, who was significantly better than '20-'21 DeRozan and also presuming everything plays out the same, from seeds to matchups to injuries, etc.

boutons_deux
08-20-2021, 05:54 PM
White can't stay healthy

Chinook
08-20-2021, 06:41 PM
You're underrating '12-'13 Parker, who was significantly better than '20-'21 DeRozan and also presuming everything plays out the same, from seeds to matchups to injuries, etc.

I'm not underrating Parker. I'm basically saying that DeRozan (offensively) was that good. Obviously Parker had more success, but he had a better team around him. DeRozan didn't even have the benefit of dominating the ball, because Murray basically split carries with him. Pop built the roster and scheme around Tony's strengths. He told DeRozan to find a way to make a 25 team into a playoff competitor. He got close.

Drom John
08-21-2021, 03:55 PM
Moneyball doesn't work in basketball. It's one of the worst teams sports for it due to how few players are on the court and how the players play both sides of the ball. White was great in the PnR last year. DMDR was elite at it. I don't think people realize how great of an offensive season DeMar had. It was possibly top-10 in Spurs history, though someone like Drom John will likely have something to say about it.

I think Moneyball has a place in basketball especially in a salary cap league. Morey hasn't won, but neither has Beane. But both have had very good teams

I sadly stopped updating Spurs stats since Basketball-Reference stopped being free, and since other sources disown the ABA Spurs/Chaparrals, I didn't continue.

That said, DeMar DeRozan probably did not have a top ten offensive season in Spurs history, though DeRozan was very good. DeRozan may not have shot many 3-pointers, DeRozan completed many 3-points plays. Each of those is more valuable than a 3P shot because it also puts a foul on an opponent.

FiveThirtyRaptor Offensive WAR single seasons 2013-2014 to 2020-2021 minimum 1,058 minutes (FiveThirtyEight's default)
This is a rate stat, which helps Mills. I'll follow with a post considering PT later.

1) 7.3 Kawhi Leonard 2017-2018
2) 5.5 Kawhi Leonard 2015-2016
3) 4.1 Manu Ginobili 2013-2014
4) 3.8 Patty Mills 2013-2014
5) 3.6 DeMar DeRozan 2020-2021
6) 3.4 Kawhi Leonard 2014-2015
7) 3.3 Patty Mills 2019-2020
8) 3.0 Danny Green 2014-2015
9) 2.8 DeMar DeRozan 2019-2020
10) 2.6 LaMarcus Aldridge 2017-2018

I'd expect David Robinson, George Gervin, Tim Duncan and others would drop DeRozan below top 10

Note that for 2020-2021, only 3 Spurs were positive offensive players
3.6 DeMar DeRozan
1.4 Derrick White
0.7 Dejounte Murray

Drom John
08-21-2021, 04:11 PM
FiveThirtyEight Offensive WAR * Minutes / 48, ugly number but ...

1) 441 Leonard 2017
2) 289 Leonard 2016
3) 182 Ginobili 2014
4) 162 Leonard 2015
5) 157 Green 2015
6) 153 DeRozan 2021
7) 149 Mills 2014
8) 145 Aldridge 2018
9) 135 DeRozan 2020
10) 104 Belinelli 2014

Wow! what a 2014 bench.

Drom John
08-21-2021, 04:59 PM
Quite a bit different offensive number, but it goes back to the Chaparrals beginning.
Basketball-Reference Offensive Win Shares 2008-2021, with 2007-2008 the year that drops DeRozan 2021 out of the top 10.

1) 8.9 Leonard 2017
2) 8.3 Leonard 2016
3) 7.4 Aldridge 2018
4) 7.1 Parker 2013
5T 6.6 Ginobili 2011, 2009
7) 6.5 Ginobili 2010
8T 6.4 Aldridge 2019, Duncan 2010
10T) 6.3 Duncan, Ginobili 2008

Drom John
08-21-2021, 05:36 PM
Top all time Spurs/Chaparrals Basketball-Reference OWS

1) 13.3 David Robinson 1994
2) 11.1 David Robinson 1996
3T) 10.7 Tim Duncan 2002, David Robinson 1995
5) 10.5 Jame Silas 1976
6) 9.5 Tim Duncan 2003
7) 9.4 David Robinson 1991
8) 9.3 George Gervin 1980
9) 9.2 George Gervin 1978
10) 8.9 Kawhi Leonard 2017

Others with at least one offensive season better than DeRozan 2020-2021
LaMarcus Aldridge
Artis Gilmore
Manu Ginobili
Larry Kenon
Tony Parker
Alvin Robertson

To me, this is NOT that DeRozan is overrated offensively, but rather too many have forgotten the past.

For me, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is the GOAT. Yet when the Bucks last won prior to this year, the Utah Stars led by future Spur, Zelmo Beatty, would have been a tough opponent. Other 1971 Stars that were later Spurs: Ron Boone, Glen Combs and Donnie Freeman. Remember when the leagues merged, the Spurs were immediately a playoff team

Drom John
08-21-2021, 05:36 PM
Double post.

exstatic
08-22-2021, 07:32 AM
Top all time Spurs/Chaparrals Basketball-Reference OWS

1) 13.3 David Robinson 1994
2) 11.1 David Robinson 1996
3T) 10.7 Tim Duncan 2002, David Robinson 1995
5) 10.5 Jame Silas 1976
6) 9.5 Tim Duncan 2003
7) 9.4 David Robinson 1991
8) 9.3 George Gervin 1980
9) 9.2 George Gervin 1978
10) 8.9 Kawhi Leonard 2017

Others with at least one offensive season better than DeRozan 2020-2021
LaMarcus Aldridge
Artis Gilmore
Manu Ginobili
Larry Kenon
Tony Parker
Alvin Robertson

To me, this is NOT that DeRozan is overrated offensively, but rather too many have forgotten the past.

For me, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is the GOAT. Yet when the Bucks last won prior to this year, the Utah Stars led by future Spur, Zelmo Beatty, would have been a tough opponent. Other 1971 Stars that were later Spurs: Ron Boone, Glen Combs and Donnie Freeman. Remember when the leagues merged, the Spurs were immediately a playoff team

3 of the 4 ABA teams were in the NBA playoffs immediately, and the Nets only missed because they had to sell Dr. J’s contract to pay the territorial fee to the Knicks.

D-Robinson 50 fan
08-23-2021, 07:54 PM
Drom John

dropping that historic heat. Thanks for the information!

Manu&Duncan fan
08-24-2021, 08:57 PM
Drom John and Chinook, thank you for your information and nice analysis!

MI21
08-25-2021, 12:57 AM
Drom John is such a beast.