PDA

View Full Version : Davis Bertans Signs 5-Year, $80 Million Deal with Wizards

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2020, 10:19 PM
damn he got paid

timvp
11-20-2020, 10:22 PM
Well at least DeMarre Carroll wore interesting clothes for those couple of weeks :tu

TimDunkem
11-20-2020, 10:30 PM
^:lmao :lmao :lmao

Today's PATFO.

Dejounte
11-20-2020, 10:31 PM
That is disgusting.

gospursgojas
11-20-2020, 10:32 PM
I mean would PATFO pay him this much? Would you be ok with it if they did? Way I see it, he left us a year earlier than he would have anyway if he’s worth this much.

R. DeMurre
11-20-2020, 10:32 PM
So Washington will be paying about $55-$60mil next year for just Wall & Bertans...

The Truth #6
11-20-2020, 10:34 PM
That contract should age well.

TDMVPDPOY
11-20-2020, 10:44 PM
shooters are getting paid big bucks now

whiles bigs are getting paid peanuts or just no offer...dmc and d12

playblair
11-20-2020, 10:47 PM
brian wright worst gm in all of basketball bruh tanked the pistons franchise & is now doing the same to the spurs.........bruh is the reason kawhi wanted out.......at this point i would welcome denis lindsey back & he was the worst front office employee in the popovich era

FkLA
11-20-2020, 10:51 PM
6-11 Klay Thompson and Poop had no idea because he was too busy treating his little engine that could Brent like mini Steph :lmao

Rusty
11-20-2020, 10:56 PM
Get the bag brother! :tu

Fusternino
11-20-2020, 11:11 PM
Remember that time we had a 4/20 deal with him?

Yeah, good times.

IMO, it's Bertans and KA that would be the missing pieces right now. Slomo was a true combo forward and Bertans was mobile enough on the perimeter.

offset formation
11-20-2020, 11:13 PM
Good for him. No way Spurs could have paid him that much.

offset formation
11-20-2020, 11:13 PM

Yeah, good times.

IMO, it's Bertans and KA that would be the missing pieces right now. Slomo was a true combo forward and Bertans was mobile enough on the perimeter.

SAGirl, that you?

DeRozan m8
11-20-2020, 11:15 PM

Yeah, good times.

Slowmo hahahhahahahhahahahahhaahhaha

What a joke

TimDunkem
11-20-2020, 11:22 PM

Yeah, good times.

SLOMO :lmao

Seventyniner
11-20-2020, 11:22 PM
Having Bertans instead of Carr:lol:loll would have helped last year, but wouldn't have made much of a difference in the end. But at least the Spurs wouldn't be stuck with that dead money.

Good on you Davis, get that money.

BillMc
11-21-2020, 12:32 AM
Well, deserved. Riga time alive in the nation's capital.

slick'81
11-21-2020, 12:42 AM
And we got him and kawhi for george fucking hill

Mugen
11-21-2020, 12:44 AM
Good for Davis tbh. Good things happen when you leave the old man.

objective
11-21-2020, 12:55 AM
I mean would PATFO pay him this much?

Why wouldn't they? They're paying DeMarre Carroll over $6 million for the 20/21 season and he's not even on the team.

Ponying up an extra 10 for Bertans looks like a bargain :lol

phxspurfan
11-21-2020, 01:01 AM
My Riga

phxspurfan
11-21-2020, 01:07 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30355964/washington-wizards-davis-bertans-agree-5-year-80-million-deal?platform=amp

The "Latvian Laser" was unleashed in Washington. Bertans jacked 8.7 3-pointers in 29.3 minutes per game last season, knocking them down at a 42.4% clip.

Bertans, 28, is a threat to pull up from anywhere. He made 12 of 23 shots (52.2%) from at least 30 feet last season. Out of the 230 individual seasons over the past seven seasons in which a player has attempted at least 10 shots from 30 feet out, Bertans is the only player to make more than half of them.

He is also just the third player 6-foot-10 or taller to make at least 200 3-pointers in a season, joining Peja Stojaković and Rashard Lewis.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-21-2020, 01:40 AM
I like Bertans but that's a terrible contract.

BackHome
11-21-2020, 02:11 AM
And we let Bertans go for nothing SMH.

DAF86
11-21-2020, 02:42 AM
Bertans is a damn good player. Pop prioritazing Forbes and Belinelli over him is a mayor fuck up.

slick'81
11-21-2020, 02:52 AM
Bertans is a damn good player. Pop prioritazing Forbes and Belinelli over him is a mayor fuck up.

Completely inexcusable

spurraider21
11-21-2020, 02:55 AM
:lmao people here were mad when we thought bertans signed a 4/22 deal a few years ago (turned out to be 2/14.5)

slick'81
11-21-2020, 02:58 AM

Fucking marcus morris

phxspurfan
11-21-2020, 03:00 AM

hes this decades Scola

John B
11-21-2020, 06:24 AM
Good for him. The kid played sith a chip on his shoulder and now getting paid

TDMVPDPOY
11-21-2020, 07:34 AM
SPURS system and pops bs stop him from playing at his full potential

exstatic
11-21-2020, 07:56 AM

It’s probably about right, but if he pops an ACL for the THIRD time, it could wind up being awful. He needs to be healthy for the whole contract.

RC_Drunkford
11-21-2020, 07:58 AM
Not as bad as it looks. They paying him yearly what we are paying Rudy Gay. Good that we gave him up for free while his trade value was 2 1st-round picks at the last trade deadline. Meanwhile the Spurs can’t even get 1 draft pick for LMA and DePression

r0drig0lac
11-21-2020, 08:44 AM
lol Pop

poopbox
11-21-2020, 08:49 AM
Was never going to get that here. Also washington is trash and he has no responsibilities there other than shooting 3's...they don't care about his terrible defense nor his abysmal rebounding...

They won't ever make the playoffs so him shitting the bed there like he did here is also not a factor for him...

KobesAchilles
11-21-2020, 09:41 AM
Wizards just love giving away money. If I were an average NBA player that’s where I would want to go. Wall getting $43 million. Beal getting 37. Now Bertrans. Good for him tho. I ain’t hating in anyway. If you can get paid then get PAID

K...
11-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Imagine if he had knees, teams wouldn't be as scared and he'd probably make double the lifetime earnings.

People don't want to say it. But after Parker these elite role players just aren't good in the spurs chuck tastic system. Bringing Slomo up is right, because bertans never outplayed a non shooting combo forward. LMAO. Pop obviously did a number on him. but all coaches have their misses.

All teams fuck up, some more than than others. Thing like the Bertans and carrol, show a team who used to have a talent surplus trying to edge the rules. When you don't have a talent surplus these fuck ups hurt more.

Russ
11-21-2020, 07:28 PM

Naw, we let Betans go for $80,000,000. :)

duncan2150
11-21-2020, 07:36 PM
he is way overpayed for me.

ZeusWillJudge
11-22-2020, 05:58 PM

he is way overpayed for me.

LOL. All those people who insisted that Bertans was going to be worth two first round picks.

That's a big contract for Bertans. But nobody was EVER going to give up two first round picks for a guy who people think is overpaid at $16M per. I'm not going to waste time looking at names, but I wonder if any of those people are going to stand up now and say what a true bargain Bertans is at this price? :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-23-2020, 12:31 PM
I love how fearless Bertans is on offense, but he's not a great defender, and really doesn't have great court instincts. He'll put up great stats on a terrible team.

Good for him though. Dude hits some great shots.

Mugen
11-23-2020, 12:55 PM
Not as bad as it looks. They paying him yearly what we are paying Rudy Gay. Good that we gave him up for free while his trade value was 2 1st-round picks at the last trade deadline. Meanwhile the Spurs can’t even get 1 draft pick for LMA and DePression

:lol

rjv
11-23-2020, 12:57 PM
shooters are getting paid big bucks now

whiles bigs are getting paid peanuts or just no offer...dmc and d12

yep. three point shooting seems to be the coveted skill set at this time. although, i always though bertan's other skills were often under appreciated.

Chucho
11-23-2020, 02:08 PM
If he wasn't a Spurs player that people had a hard on for, this would be:

":lol Today's NBA. $80 million for 15 ppg on a toilet squad" for most of these posts.

SAGirl
11-24-2020, 01:23 AM
Glad for him. Unsurprisingly, it turned out that getting traded suited him well. Same as Boban, and Slowmo. He wouldn’t have gotten paid in the Spurs and neither would the others. I am happy for them.

SAGirl
11-24-2020, 01:26 AM
Also I thought he should have gotten more opportunities than Bryn got 4 sure.

SAGirl
11-24-2020, 01:30 AM
I had forgotten about this. Wow. Major blunder for Wright.

J_Paco
11-26-2020, 10:12 PM
Also I thought he should have gotten more opportunities than Bryn got 4 sure.

He got opportunities but couldn't defend his position, rebound & got bullied in the playoffs two seasons in a row. Now, he plays for a franchise with low expectations, which is horrendous on defense (making his terrible defense commonplace) & is excited just to have him be a gunner.

Had he remained in San Antonio & garnered such a ridiculous contract the fanbase would be livid just like when Patty, Pau & DeJounte were overpaid.

Glad for him. Unsurprisingly, it turned out that getting traded suited him well. Same as Boban, and Slowmo. He wouldn’t have gotten paid in the Spurs and neither would the others. I am happy for them.

That is a God damn lie.

Kyle looked 1,000× better in San Antonio, Boban has been a journeyman since the Spurs first signed him & both got paid for what they did on the Spurs/could "potentially" do after not otherwise.

GAustex
11-26-2020, 10:36 PM
He got opportunities but couldn't defend his position, rebound & got bullied in the playoffs two seasons in a row. Now, he plays for a franchise with low expectations, which is horrendous on defense (making his terrible defense commonplace) & is excited just to have him be a gunner.

Had he remained in San Antonio & garnered such a ridiculous contract the fanbase would be livid just like when Patty, Pau & DeJounte were overpaid.

That is a God damn lie.

Kyle looked 1,000× better in San Antonio, Boban has been a journeyman since the Spurs first signed him & both got paid for what they did on the Spurs/could "potentially" do after not otherwise.

Me, Shay Laren and a tub of cool whip

DAF86
11-26-2020, 11:09 PM

That is a God damn lie.

And Forbes and Belinelli could? :lol Numbers indicate Bertans could defend his position a hell por better than those two.

ismael-robert
11-26-2020, 11:13 PM
If he lit it up here way he did there people wouldnt be too mad...he didnt show that consistently here same as marco n forbes which exposed their poor defense further

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 09:38 PM
And Forbes and Belinelli could? :lol Numbers indicate Bertans could defend his position a hell por better than those two.

Never said anything about Forbes or Belinelli, but thanks for that pointless "what aboutism," who are also bad on defense, no longer are on the Spurs and weren't handed a huge overpay of $80 million dollars.

I like Davis, I'm happy he got paid & stayed with a team that could continue to properly use him. Yet his faults of being a bad defender & rebounder (for his position) still exist. Plus, he'll still be outmatched if he faces anyone with even some of the physicality of Paul Millsap (who bullied him off the court in the 2019 playoffs).

The Wizards need to add a "tough guy" or an "enforcer" to compliment him, Rui, Mo and/or Thomas Bryant. Robin Lopez brings some of that but isn't a every night contributor anymore.

The Spurs need to find a starting caliber PF & be thankful to the good heaven's they didn’t pay a backup PF an annual salary of $16 million per year.

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 09:41 PM
If he lit it up here way he did there people wouldnt be too mad...he didnt show that consistently here same as marco n forbes which exposed their poor defense further

Right, but also Pop didn’t run plays for him or feature him in the offense like the Wizards have. I just hope they have some actual team success, Davis continues to light it up & that contract doesn't become an albatross.

DAF86
11-30-2020, 09:42 PM
Never said anything about Forbes or Belinelli, but thanks for that pointless "what aboutism," who are also bad on defense, no longer are on the Spurs and weren't handed a huge overpay of $80 million dollars.

I like Davis, I'm happy he got paid & stayed with a team that could continue to properly use him, yet his faults of being a bad defend & rebound still exist. Plus, he'll still be outmatched if he faces anyone with even the physicality of Paul Millsap (who bullied him off the court in the 2019 playoffs).

The Wizards need to add a "tough guy" or an "enforcer" to compliment him, Rui, Mo and/or Thomas Bryant.

The Spurs need to find a starting caliber PF & be thankful to the good heaven's they didn’t pay a backup PF an annual salary of $16 million per year.

I brought up Forbes and Belinelli because those are two players that got plenty of opportunities above Bertans, who is a much better player on every aspect.

Mr. Body
11-30-2020, 09:44 PM
I brought up Forbes and Belinelli because those are two players that got plenty of opportunities above Bertans, who is a much better player on every aspect.

Say what now.

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 09:57 PM

He has more size & is one of the best 3 - point shooters in the league, but let's not pretend his anything more than a 6th man or high - end role player.

They play different positions, Davis couldn't rebound to save his life (when he played here) & Gay/Aldridge/Poeltl werse all better options (starting). Not that hard to understand & also why they tried to upgrade with Morris but he reneged.

Davis found a place where he can shot at will & his flaws are practically ignored. That might change if the expectations in Washington increase or he slips back to his up - and - down play like in San Antonio.

There are legitimate reasons why all three are gone regardless of the fact that Davis is the best of the three. Pop was likely never going to feature Davis on offense or give him as much margin for error as Scott Brooks. Some guys just won't reach their full potential or tap into their entire skillet with certain coaches.

I'm happy he's paid (elsewhere) & hope he can live up to that big contract.

DAF86
11-30-2020, 10:09 PM
He has more size & is one of the best 3 - point shooters in the league, but let's not pretend his anything more than a 6th man or high - end role player.

They play different positions, Davis couldn't rebound to save his life (when he played here) & Gay/Aldridge/Poeltl werse all better options (starting). Not that hard to understand & also why they tried to upgrade with Morris but he reneged.

Davis found a place where he can shot at will & his flaws are practically ignored. That might change if the expectations in Washington increase or he slips back to his up - and - down play like in San Antonio.

There are legitimate reasons why all three are gone regardless of the fact that Davis is the best of the three. Pop was likely never going to feature Davis on offense or give him as much margin for error as Scott Brooks. Some guys just won't reach their full potential or tap into their entire skillet with certain coaches.

I'm happy he's paid (elsewhere) & hope he can live up to that big contract.

Belinelli and Forbes both played the wings on the Spurs' system, that's the position Bertans plays. It shouldn't have been so hard to give Bertans some of those extended minutes that useless pair got, tbh.

DAF86
11-30-2020, 10:10 PM
Say what now.

What didn't you understand?

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 10:20 PM
Belinelli and Forbes both played the wings on the Spurs' system, that's the position Bertans plays. It shouldn't have been so hard to give Bertans some of those extended minutes that useless pair got, tbh.

Again, he is a combo forward, Belinelli is a swing man (barely) & Bryn is a undersized "combo" guard. How the hell did you expect Pop to hide Davis on defense if you're asking him to play up a position or two?

Especially when he isn't a shot creator or playmaker on offense, can't rebound for any position & is a bad/below average team defender.

I like Davis, but he was never going to do what he did in Washington with the Spurs & the fans would be going ballistic if he got $16 million per year (to be a backup/6th man).

GAustex
11-30-2020, 10:35 PM
Davis is a unicorn
Too wimpy though to guard strongman PF.
David should have been a 2 or 3 or a 4 when the other teams 4 is a wimp.
He was not put in position to succeed due to hard headed poop.

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 10:48 PM
Davis is a unicorn

Again, let him do it on a contending team or in the playoffs & then we can complain about it. Right now, he's put up numbers (for one season) on a bad team with very, very low expectations.

And the two ACL tears in Europe ruined any chance of him being a 3 (on offense) in the NBA. He is very unique because of his elite three - point shooting but needs to improve in other areas to become less predictable/1 dimensional.

Mr. Body
11-30-2020, 10:48 PM
What didn't you understand?

The only thing Bertans does is shoot. He's shit at everything else.

GAustex
11-30-2020, 10:52 PM
Again, let him do it on a contending team or in the playoffs & then we can complain about it. Right now, he's put up numbers (for one season) on a bad team with very, very low expectations.

And the two ACL tears in Europe ruined any chance of him being a 3 (on offense) in the NBA. He is very unique because of his elite three - point shooting but needs to improve in other areas to become less predictable/1 dimensional.
Davis had some success vs Klay Thompson in the ZaZa series. Poop had him guard Klay and Davis did alright using his length on Klay.
Small sample size I know-though

rankingtear
11-30-2020, 10:58 PM
Davis is a unicorn

There are only 2 unicorns 1 useful 1 not so much.

1. Player that can play in the perimeter and protect the rim. ( Kristaps, JJJ, Durant )
2. Game manager that can create his own shot. ( Tyus Jones, Austin Rivers )

GAustex
11-30-2020, 11:02 PM
Davis could have replaced Forbes or Beli and done just as (lol) good on defense.

DAF86
11-30-2020, 11:02 PM
The only thing Bertans does is shoot. He's shit at everything else.

1) no he isn't. That's why he's getting 80 millions.

2) let's pretend your false assumption is right and Bertans does suck at everything other than shooting. Is he worse than Forbes and Belinelli at all those other things. Is he worse than them at passing? Is he worse than them at defense? Is he worse than them at rebounding? No, to all those things. Therefore my original statement, "Bertans is better than Forbes and Belinelli on every aspect", still stands.

DAF86
11-30-2020, 11:04 PM
Again, he is a combo forward, Belinelli is a swing man (barely) & Bryn is a undersized "combo" guard. How the hell did you expect Pop to hide Davis on defense if you're asking him to play up a position or two?

Especially when he isn't a shot creator or playmaker on offense, can't rebound for any position & is a bad/below average team defender.

I like Davis, but he was never going to do what he did in Washington with the Spurs & the fans would be going ballistic if he got $16 million per year (to be a backup/6th man).

How the hell do you hide him? Having him guard anyone Forbes and/or Belinelli were guarding. Easy. He would have definitely done a better job at it than any of those two.

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 11:16 PM
How the hell do you hide him? Having him guard anyone Forbes and/or Belinelli were guarding. Easy. He would have definitely done a better job at it than any of those two.

Not even Scott Brooks plays him at the 2 or 3, homie. Let it go........

He could conceivably do it on a team that primarily plays a zone defense, but so far Brooks & Popovich have both used him as a 4.

Not sure why you continue to harp about Belinelli & Forbes, when the people in front of Davis were Aldridge, Poeltl & Gay.

He isn't a 3 because he's suffered too many knee injuries that zapped him of lateral quickness, pop off the floor & he'd get hunted on every position & blown by easily. Plus, his offensive game is extremely one - dimensional & he brings little to no shot creation, ball handling and playmaking.

GAustex
11-30-2020, 11:17 PM
Davis could at least jump up and block shots at the rim every now and then. Forbes or Beli barely left their feet. They just watch folks just drive on by...

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 11:20 PM
Davis could at least jump up and block shots at the rim every now and then. Forbes or Beli barely left their feet. They just watch folks just drive on by...

No shit, he has 5 & 7 inches of height on Belinelli & Forbes.

Answer me this: Was Davis a better option when he was with Spurs than Gay, Poeltl or Aldridge?

DAF86
11-30-2020, 11:23 PM
Not even Scott Brooks plays him a the 2 or 3, homie. Let it go....

lol what? :lol Bertans plays the 3 while Hachimura plays the 4 in Washington.

He could conceivably do it on a team that primarily plays a zone defense, but so far Brooks & Popovich have both used him as a 4.
Pop played Bertans as a 3 quite a bit too when Gay would guard opposing 4's, tbh. He just didn't do it nearly enough because he had to play the dinamic duo of Forbes and Belinelli.

Not sure why you continue to harp about Belinelli & Forbes, when the people in front of Davis were Aldridge, Poeltl & Gay.

He isn't a 3 because he's suffered too many knee injuries that zapped him of lateral quickness, pop off the floor & he'd get hunted on every position & blown by easily. Plus, his offensive game is extremely one - dimensional & he brings little to no shot creation, ball handling and playmaking.

If Forbes and Belinelli could play the wings on this Spurs' team, then Bertans could too. Period. Simple as that. He's the much better defender of the three.

Answer me this: do you really think Bertans would have done a worse job than Forbes and Belinelli guarding the opposing 2's and 3's? Be honest son. :lol

GAustex
11-30-2020, 11:24 PM
No but if the teams PF was a wimp Davis was worth some minutes. I also think-and I know you and others do not-that Davis should have gotten run as a 3 or even a 2.

J_Paco
11-30-2020, 11:51 PM
lol what? :lol Bertans plays the 3 while Hachimura plays the 4 in Washington.

Pop played Bertans as a 3 quite a bit too when Gay would guard opposing 4's, tbh. He just didn't do it nearly enough because he had to play the dinamic duo of Forbes and Belinelli.

If Forbes and Belinelli could play the wings on this Spurs' team, then Bertans could too. Period. Simple as that. He's the much better defender of the three.

Answer me this: do you really think Bertans would have done a worse job than Forbes and Belinelli guarding the opposing 2's and 3's? Be honest son. :lol

Let it go.......

They are all GONE.

Again, Davis can play the 3 in spurts (with another combo forward like Gay or Rui) but he isn't a wing or a starter/long - term solution at small forward. He was never going to be used in that capacity in San Antonio & had he been the bitching about his poor defense would be endless.

You gotta be drunk or high to think any team would use Davis to guard (any) shooting guards or starting small forwards.

He was given opportunities but often shrunk under pressure, got bullied or was inconsistent with his offense. I loved his ability to quickly heat up or expand a lead with two or three consecutive three - pointers, but would also want to pull my hair out as his piss - poor rebounding, bad defense, lack of shot creating & playmaking.

I see a lot of starting caliber wing players averaging 1.1 APG for their career with a high of 1.7 APG last year.

And before you mention him, no, Bryn was never a starting caliber anything so his terrible APG average is a moot point.

DAF86
12-01-2020, 02:24 AM
Let it go.......

They are all GONE.

Again, Davis can play the 3 in spurts (with another combo forward like Gay or Rui) but he isn't a wing or a starter/long - term solution at small forward. He was never going to be used in that capacity in San Antonio & had he been the bitching about his poor defense would be endless.

You gotta be drunk or high to think any team would use Davis to guard (any) shooting guards or starting small forwards.

He was given opportunities but often shrunk under pressure, got bullied or was inconsistent with his offense. I loved his ability to quickly heat up or expand a lead with two or three consecutive three - pointers, but would also want to pull my hair out as his piss - poor rebounding, bad defense, lack of shot creating & playmaking.

I see a lot of starting caliber wing players averaging 1.1 APG for their career with a high of 1.7 APG last year.

And before you mention him, no, Bryn was never a starting caliber anything so his terrible APG average is a moot point.

I like how you never answered the question of whether Bertans would do worse than Forbes and Belinelli defending 2s and 3s :lol

It's ok son, you don't need to respond, we all know the answer. Bertans should have got the minutes Forbes and Belinelli got but Pop fucked up. It sucks because it would be Nice to still have Bertans, he would have complemented this young team perfectly but it what it is. I will let it go, in fact I had already done so, I just won't let you get away with saying bullshit like "Bertans doesn't play the 3 in Washington" or "Bertans can't play the 3 or 2 but Belinelli and Forbes can", tbh. :lol

gambit1990
12-01-2020, 02:33 AM
haven't read thru the thread and i'm not going to but DAF was a bigger believer than almost everyone.

people are given way too little credit for contrarian views. but that's spurstalk.

R. DeMurre
12-01-2020, 02:42 AM
Sad part is Forbes landed a two 2 year/$4.8 mil contract from the team with the best record in the NBA and the Spurs lost him for nothing, while Bertans got a 5 year/$80 mil contract and the Spurs actually got less than nothing for him, taking back DeMarre Carroll, who barely played at all and was then bought out, resulting in him still being on the payroll while not even playing. That's a pretty terrible return for two reasonably appealing role players.

exstatic
12-01-2020, 08:48 AM
I like how you never answered the question of whether Bertans would do worse than Forbes and Belinelli defending 2s and 3s :lol

It's ok son, you don't need to respond, we all know the answer. Bertans should have got the minutes Forbes and Belinelli got but Pop fucked up. It sucks because it would be Nice to still have Bertans, he would have complemented this young team perfectly but it what it is. I will let it go, in fact I had already done so, I just won't let you get away with saying bullshit like "Bertans doesn't play the 3 in Washington" or "Bertans can't play the 3 or 2 but Belinelli and Forbes can", tbh. :lol

Yes, he was a worse defender than Forbes or Belinelli on 2s and 3s.

I liked Davis, and I’m glad he got paid, but your paycheck doesn’t always reflect your ability. Teams like the Wiz have to overpay, because they suck every year.

exstatic
12-01-2020, 08:51 AM
Sad part is Forbes landed a two 2 year/$4.8 mil contract from the team with the best record in the NBA and the Spurs lost him for nothing, while Bertans got a 5 year/$80 mil contract and the Spurs actually got less than nothing for him, taking back DeMarre Carroll, who barely played at all and was then bought out, resulting in him still being on the payroll while not even playing. That's a pretty terrible return for two reasonably appealing role players.

Forbes sucks! He’s the worst player in the history of awful players!

Why did we let him go for nothing?

venitian navigator
12-01-2020, 10:53 AM
I've always been a Betans fan but at the same time I'm not going to tell he was good on defense...the point is that Pop decided to use him (after he demostrate a sort of temper in some games) as a scapegoat anytime he made a mistake while Forbes (probably because of his good behavior) and Belli (probably because of his limited contribution to the title and previously during regular season games, in years past, when he was younger and a better player) were not yelled at...
The poiny, imho, is that for multiple reasons Bertans, if not better at defense against smaller guys, was clearly with more offensive skills and if put in a situation to be used as a primary outside shooter could have been, in any case, an offensive weapon greatly superior to an old Belly and a midget guard like Forbes.
That's his role with the Wizards...he simply has a green light for shooting (and its always been clear that he can shoot with wonderful percentages also from high distance, so, in any case, spreading the opposite defenses).
In the "new" nba this skill is very valuable and in fact its been necessary just one season of green light for becoming an nba asset.
Unfortunately, while that skill could have been extremely valuable in our new team (with young good people able to run the ball, penetrate the offense and then download the ball to outside shooters) is not that valuable in a team made of people like we were when the ball is managed at a slow rythm and in most cases on the hands of black holes on offense (like LMA, Gay and DDR).
Franly, while he signed for maybe to much money, I don't think that his new contract would be an overpay in Washington if Wall (known for his high rythm and penetration capabilities) is back to a good level.

DAF86
12-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Yes, he was a worse defender than Forbes or Belinelli on 2s and 3s.

I liked Davis, and I’m glad he got paid, but your paycheck doesn’t always reflect your ability. Teams like the Wiz have to overpay, because they suck every year.

How? can you provide an example, a reasoning, a metric to support this claim?

exstatic
12-01-2020, 11:42 AM
How? can you provide an example, a reasoning, a metric to support this claim?

Any time he switched the PnR, he got toasted. Any.

Can you support your position?

Dex
12-01-2020, 11:56 AM
Forbes sucks! He’s the worst player in the history of awful players!

Why did we let him go for nothing?

People around here still wondering why PATFO can't just magically turn a pile of shit into a lump of gold :lmao

DAF86
12-01-2020, 12:46 PM
Any time he switched the PnR, he got toasted. Any.

Can you support your position?

Yeah, besides the eye test, metrics indicate that Bertans is the much better defender. And don't come here trying to say "well, those numbers are playing the 4" because A) he played plenty of 3 and B) I would argue that playing exclusively the 3, his metrics would be even better.

And just think my friend: neither is a great one on one defender, but if you had to choose, who would you rather have defending the Kawhis, Durants, Lebrons, Klay Thompsons of this World. Forbes, Belinelli or Bertans? We all know all of them would get killed, but, heart to heart, who would get killed the least? The answer is Bertans. You know this, I know this, everybody knows this. There's no reason to keep shielding for Pop on this one. The three are out of the roster, it is done.

So, considering than Bertans would get killed the least on one-on-one defense, paired with the fact that he would also provide above average help defense, and culminating with the undeniable truth that he was by far the best offensive player of the three, there's just not a single reason to have had Forbes and Belinelli getting minutes over him all these years. None.

GAustex
12-01-2020, 01:04 PM
What ^ said!

exstatic
12-01-2020, 01:19 PM
Yeah, besides the eye test, metrics indicate that Bertans is the much better defender. And don't come here trying to say "well, those numbers are playing the 4" because A) he played plenty of 3 and B) I would argue that playing exclusively the 3, his metrics would be even better.

And just think my friend: neither is a great one on one defender, but if you had to choose, who would you rather have defending the Kawhis, Durants, Lebrons, Klay Thompsons of this World. Forbes, Belinelli or Bertans? We all know all of them would get killed, but, heart to heart, who would get killed the least? The answer is Bertans. You know this, I know this, everybody knows this. There's no reason to keep shielding for Pop on this one. The three are out of the roster, it is done.

So, considering than Bertans would get killed the least on one-on-one defense, paired with the fact that he would also provide above average help defense, and culminating with the undeniable truth that he was by far the best offensive player of the three, there's just not a single reason to have had Forbes and Belinelli getting minutes over him all these years. None.

My bad. I saw your 2s and 3s, even retyped it, but my brain saw 1s and 2s.

They were all three bad defenders, and while I wish them well, I won’t miss any of the being blown by, or bullied in the post, on the regular.

GAustex
12-01-2020, 01:29 PM
Me thinks Bertrans would have been useful last year over Carroll. And this year at a reasonable price. Poop is too stupid to find a way to use Davis though.

Drom John
12-03-2020, 01:47 PM
Westbrook might be very good for Bertans, assists for 3s and taking off some of the pressure to rebound.

RC_Drunkford
12-03-2020, 08:13 PM

Bertans was actually pretty good at defending Zach Randolph in the 2017 series against Memphis. He's just not a good perimeter defender, but he at least has length to be able to contest shots. When Forbes and Belinelli "guard" people it's like they ain't even there. People just shoot over or blow right past them

Kawhitstorm
12-05-2020, 10:04 PM
Robert Horry would have been a max player in today’s NBA :pctoss

venitian navigator
12-06-2020, 02:48 AM
Davis is a unicorn

COMPLETELY AGREE

koriwhat
12-06-2020, 05:34 PM

That's been Pop's achilles hill for so many years now unfortunately. I swear Pop is just going through the motions in order to collect a paycheck, keep the reigns of power, and occupy his time at this stage in his career. I don't believe his heart is truly in it anymore and I think it's because the big3 was his heart.

tbdog
12-06-2020, 07:56 PM
How many role players have stunk since leaving Spurs? Spurs missed the boat on this one by trading him away for nothing. It cost them, what one pick potential pick.

BackHome
12-07-2020, 10:15 AM
I've always been a Betans fan but at the same time I'm not going to tell he was good on defense...the point is that Pop decided to use him (after he demostrate a sort of temper in some games) as a scapegoat anytime he made a mistake while Forbes (probably because of his good behavior) and Belli (probably because of his limited contribution to the title and previously during regular season games, in years past, when he was younger and a better player) were not yelled at...
The poiny, imho, is that for multiple reasons Bertans, if not better at defense against smaller guys, was clearly with more offensive skills and if put in a situation to be used as a primary outside shooter could have been, in any case, an offensive weapon greatly superior to an old Belly and a midget guard like Forbes.
That's his role with the Wizards...he simply has a green light for shooting (and its always been clear that he can shoot with wonderful percentages also from high distance, so, in any case, spreading the opposite defenses).
In the "new" nba this skill is very valuable and in fact its been necessary just one season of green light for becoming an nba asset.
Unfortunately, while that skill could have been extremely valuable in our new team (with young good people able to run the ball, penetrate the offense and then download the ball to outside shooters) is not that valuable in a team made of people like we were when the ball is managed at a slow rythm and in most cases on the hands of black holes on offense (like LMA, Gay and DDR).
Franly, while he signed for maybe to much money, I don't think that his new contract would be an overpay in Washington if Wall (known for his high rythm and penetration capabilities) is back to a good level.

We gave up Bert for nothing it was talked about that Washington might trade him and that teams were interested and the asking price was a 1st round pick but they decided to keep him.

J_Paco
12-07-2020, 12:11 PM
We gave up Bert for nothing it was talked about that Washington might trade him and that teams were interested and the asking price was a 1st round pick but they decided to keep him.

Isn't that because the Spurs were looking to dump his salary to sign a better player - yes, the scumbag Morris brother is better than Davis - while the Wizards helped increase his value by showcasing him on offense?

Davis was never going to be a featured offensive player on the Spurs & I'm just happy he ended up on a team that better utilizes his strengths while ignoring or living with his flaws (piss poor rebounding, minimal playmaking & below average defense).

Again, context is needed in this entire situation & not blanket statements without it.

Also Davis was originally a throw - in with Nephew on draft night, so one can argue that Davis has always been "undervalued."

Thankfully, he showed out in DC, got paid & I hope he can add a little more versatility to his game still (improved ball handling, playmaking or team defense).