PDA

View Full Version : Jakob Poeltl is finalizing a three-year, near $27M deal to return to San Antonio

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ace3g
11-20-2020, 11:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1197929409044504576/nKXnm0aN_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania) Shams Charania (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania) (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania)Sham (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17672)sCharania

Free agent Jakob Poeltl is finalizing a three-year, near $27M deal to return to San Antonio, agents Mike Tellem, Aaron Mintz and Steven Heumann tell @TheAthleticNBA (https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/) @Stadium (https://twitter.com/Stadium/).
10:49pm · 20 Nov 2020 (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1330010493776486402) · TweetDeck

**dang c/p error, lol...

Mods can you correct title.

Ditty
11-20-2020, 11:51 PM
I really like it! Thought he was at least getting $10 million. Glad Jakob is back for a fair deal in the prime of his career.

Dejounte
11-20-2020, 11:52 PM
More than I wanted... Maybe he really is the starting C after Aldridge is gone.

Chinook
Gross. But Splitter got that same APY in a much smaller cap. I think that's going to put the Spurs very close to the tax once all of the contracts are signed.

TimDunkem
BARF

Meanwhile, Shakril just wet his panties.

Dex
11-20-2020, 11:54 PM
I like Jak, but....Overpay unless he is featured more or expands on his game.

EasyMoney
11-20-2020, 11:54 PM
Don't mind this. Just hope he developed a jump shot over the break.

Mr. Body
11-20-2020, 11:56 PM
Lol, "overpay." Look at the fucking market.

We got our new whipping boy, at least. I can't wait to avoid this forum again because of all the insufferable chodes.

crc21209
I thought he improved a lot last year from the previous year. His pick and roll offense became better and he was a legit anchor on D for a good stretch as well...

objective
People may hate the deal as overpaid but I can tell you this:

It's a lot better than Poeltl and Forbes getting 4.5 each

This Poeltl deal gets them damn close to the tax, no way the broke Seattle-moving owners will pay Forbes now ... I hope

Gibbz
11-20-2020, 11:57 PM
Jesus Christ

Robz4000
11-20-2020, 11:57 PM
Not surprised tbh, especially when you see what other bigs were getting today.

Mr. Body
11-20-2020, 11:58 PM

This Poeltl deal gets them damn close to the tax, no way the broke Seattle-moving owners will pay Forbes now ... I hope

People who hate the deal are morons, full stop.

Robz4000
11-20-2020, 11:59 PM
Gross. But Splitter got that same APY in a much smaller cap. I think that's going to put the Spurs very close to the tax once all of the contracts are signed.

Mills getting moved you figure?

Dejounte
11-20-2020, 11:59 PM
People are not happy with the amount because they think his ceiling is low and already met. Hope he proves us all wrong and learns to shoot.

Robz4000
11-21-2020, 12:00 AM

Underrated part of the deal tbh. If it guarantees Forbes is gone its a win.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:01 AM
So this can't be why timvp said "things are not looking good" because we all expected this could happen. Why do you always keep it vague, timvp? Lol

timvp
11-21-2020, 12:02 AM
Welp. Not happy but it's not as high as I feared. Starting at $8-something is better than starting at $10 million. I'd rather have cap space, though, tbh.

This was a drama filled signing. Wonder if the local press will cover that aspect. I've heard bits and pieces but Poeltl had multiple teams after him and it's not a coincidence that the deal was done like five minutes before he was free to sign an offersheet elsewhere :lol

The Truth #6
Underrated part of the deal tbh. If it guarantees Forbes is gone its a win.

If somehow Brian Wright structured it this way to keep Pop’s pet off the team, I would respect him much more.

DPG21920
This team is incompetent

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 12:03 AM
Welp. Not happy but it's not as high as I feared. Starting at $8-something is better than starting at $10 million. I'd rather have cap space, though, tbh.

This was a drama filled signing. Wonder if the local press will cover that aspect. I've heard bits and pieces but Poeltl had multiple teams after him and it's not a coincidence that the deal was done like five minutes before he was free to sign an offersheet elsewhere :lol

Trade his ass if he has value then what the f

leo07251413
That's probably about right to the current market value.

Would love to sign him a bit cheaper, but $9M-year isn't too bad.

If he can be our starting C who plays 28~33 minutes per game after Aldridge's departure then it's worth it.

FutureMan
3-4 million too high overall but it isn’t terrible and he might be able to make it worth it.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 12:04 AM
Also if he was willing to accept 3/27 then it means it was the best offer I’m guessing. Let another team sign him and match then

TimDunkem
11-21-2020, 12:05 AM
Also if he was willing to accept 3/27 then it means it was the best offer I’m guessing. Let another team sign him and match then

They like what they have, brah. RUN IT BACK!!! :flag::smokin

The Truth #6
11-21-2020, 12:06 AM
Does this imply anything for Lyles now?

Atl Spur
11-21-2020, 12:07 AM

We got our new whipping boy, at least. I can't wait to avoid this forum again because of all the insufferable chodes.

Dude stop being rational!!!!! Did you forget where you were posting???? A lot of real deep thinkers in here....

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 12:07 AM
This team has really sucked the joy out of being a fan. I’ve never seen such an overall fall from grace from a once revered front office.

Yeah Jakob isn’t catastrophic in and of itself; but it’s a continuation of a trend of really poor decision making and doing Jack shit right.

timvp
11-21-2020, 12:08 AM
Does this imply anything for Lyles now?

Trey Lyles will be coming back. This Poeltl contract juuust fits inside of the luxury tax threshold with Lyles still rostered.

Spursfanfromafar
11-21-2020, 12:08 AM
I like this. Poeltl is more valuable than any of you naysayers think and he *is* part of the rebuilding core for me. Its a contract that we will look back in the future and appreciate it more, I am sure.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 12:09 AM
All right. So this is the Capulator link for the off-season so far, including signing the picks, Eubanks, Poeltl and assuming Weatherspoon gets signed to fill the roster in addition to waving Metu and Zeller (the latter of which hasn't happened as far as I know but will). Quinn obviously may not be signed, but if he's not the team is close enough to the tax where a vet min might put them over. This is very much a case where SA could go into the season with 14 guys and only sign a final player.

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator?id=1864862175fb8a00b60891805678277

As you can see, it's really close to the tax line (the one for 2019). There's some difference with how big the exceptions will be and such. But there's so little room. The Spurs would've struggled to sign Jakob for even a million more per year.

TimDunkem
11-21-2020, 12:10 AM
I like this. Poeltl is more valuable than any of you naysayers think and he *is* part of the rebuilding core for me. Its a contract that we will look back in the future and appreciate it more, I am sure.

Yeah because it's a tradeable one. :lol

Chinook

Only if the cap explodes.

timvp
This team is incompetent

Yeah, give me the cap space instead. Hopefully he'll remain as tradeable as others proclaim he'll be if that salary cap space is needed.

Dejounte
Well, then...

Line-up at the start of the season will probably look like:

Murray/ Lonnie/ Tre
White/ Mills/ Vassell
DeMar/ Keldon/ Q
Lyles/ Gay/ Samanic
Aldridge/ Poetl/ Eubanks

murpjf88
Not surprised tbh, especially when you see what other bigs were getting today.

Montrese Harrell is getting virtually the same money and he's much better.

Gibbz
11-21-2020, 12:11 AM
Lyles is here to stay. He's in all the HEB fits, tbh.

Dejounte
Yeah, give me the cap space instead. Hopefully he'll remain as tradeable as others proclaim he'll be if that salary cap space is needed.

You said you'll be posting an article about cap space soon, right? Not sure why it's so important.

Chinook
Also go ahead and try to lock White up now. Anything below $16 Million in the first year is worth it. It'll drop SA below a max-level contract next summer, but it's worth not seeing how much he can make on the open market.

DPG21920

The team hasn’t proven they can trade :lol

And for trading purposes cap space > Jakob as well

NASpurs
11-21-2020, 12:12 AM
Aww too bad, so they can’t afford Forbes anymore? Damn!

timvp
11-21-2020, 12:12 AM
All right. So this is the Capulator link for the off-season so far, including signing the picks, Eubanks, Poeltl and assuming Weatherspoon gets signed to fill the roster in addition to waving Metu and Zeller (the latter of which hasn't happened as far as I know but will). Quinn obviously may not be signed, but if he's not the team is close enough to the tax where a vet min might put them over. This is very much a case where SA could go into the season with 14 guys and only sign a final player.

As you can see, it's really close to the tax line (the one for 2019). There's some difference with how big the exceptions will be and such. But there's so little room. The Spurs would've struggled to sign Jakob for even a million more per year.

Yeah this was literally about as high as the Spurs could go while keeping Lyles.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 12:13 AM
Mills getting moved you figure?

I don't believe they'll move anyone right now. They should be able to get to 15 without doing so, and unless they get a good deal, it makes sense to wait until after the season starts.

murpjf88
This team has really sucked the joy out of being a fan. I’ve never seen such an overall fall from grace from a once revered front office.

Yeah Jakob isn’t catastrophic in and of itself; but it’s a continuation of a trend of really poor decision making and doing Jack shit right.

Choosing Tim Duncan over Keith Van Horn doesn't make you revered.

Robz4000

:lmao

TimDunkem
11-21-2020, 12:14 AM
I don't believe they'll move anyone right now. They should be able to get to 15 without doing so, and unless they get a good deal, it makes sense to wait until after the season starts.

Aww man. I can't wait for another year of waiting to see what they'll do only for them to predictably do nothing.

timvp
11-21-2020, 12:14 AM
Also go ahead and try to lock White up now. Anything below $16 Million in the first year is worth it. It'll drop SA below a max-level contract next summer, but it's worth not seeing how much he can make on the open market.

Agreed. Lock up White now.

objective
11-21-2020, 12:15 AM

sportrac has Carroll's dead money higher fwiw, an extra $ 182,387

who is correct between two sites, I can't say

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 12:16 AM

Yup. It needed to happen anyways but now that you’ve screwed best case might as well lock up someone actually important

Mr. Body
11-21-2020, 12:16 AM

Yeah. Losing Poeltl impacts the development of the young guards and wings, I feel. You can't count on Eubanks, as much as I like him, and certainly not Lyles, as much as I don't.

In the end, the denizens on this board are some of the biggest fuckups around. I'm surprised timvp is blowing this one, too, but he makes mistakes sometimes.

The Truth #6
11-21-2020, 12:17 AM
Really curious how LMA will be used now. Traded? Reduction in minutes? Hope he shoots 3s? It’s weird having 3 centers to me.

NASpurs
Aww man. I can't wait for another year of waiting to see what they'll do only for them to predictably do nothing.

But all that cap space and tradeable assests!! Why does no one want our trash!

SpurPadre

Did he suddenly develop a jumper that I'm not aware of?

PhantomDashCam
11-21-2020, 12:18 AM
Guys, I think the people who are unhappy with this deal extends beyond Poeltl’s worth but the implications it places on the roster moving forward.
Yes, it’s looking likely Marco and Forbes are gone...but that means you have the same team the majority was clamouring to see last year, which didn’t happen until the bubble and some injuries to key rotation pieces.
Again I’m sure there is more to it but I understand the frustration.

timvp
11-21-2020, 12:18 AM
The team hasn’t proven they can trade :lol

And for trading purposes cap space > Jakob as well

I like Poeltl. Good player, good guy, etc. But I wish the Spurs would actually pick a strategy. Not trading on draft day made me think that the strategy was to open a ton of cap room. But now after signing Poeltl? I don't know what they're doing and don't see a clear path to a winning strategy. This half-rebuild, half-stay-the-course strategy doesn't have much discernable direction.

gambit1990
11-21-2020, 12:19 AM
spurs were being nice.

Dejounte
Guys, I think the people who are unhappy with this deal extends beyond Poeltl’s worth but the implications it places on the roster moving forward.
Yes, it’s looking likely Marco and Forbes are gone...but that means you have the same team the majority was clamouring to see last year, which didn’t happen until the bubble and some injuries to key rotation pieces.

Same team, but Spurs are banking on growth and featured roles for the young guns to change the results.

Mr. Body
Really curious how LMA will be used now. Traded? Reduction in minutes? Hope he shoots 3s? It’s weird having 3 centers to me.

My guess is go into the year with what we have now. Seriously doubt the Spurs make any big moves for DDR or LMA. It's not their way. If the season crashes and burns immediately for them, we may see trades.

DPG21920
SA had a real path to a max deal next season and they punted that chance for a non shooting backup Center in the modern NBA. Couldn’t be me.

Spursfanfromafar
Did he suddenly develop a jumper that I'm not aware of?

A jumperless center who plays good all round defense at both the rim/perimeter, is almost always a net plus on the court when he plays and can be a good P&R partner for our developing guards. You should be aware of these things if you are a Spurs fan who watches Spurs games.

Gibbz
11-21-2020, 12:20 AM
So are they really gonna employ four centers in 2021 with LMA, Jak, Lyles, and Eubanks? I'd think LMA would be on the move, right?

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 12:20 AM
I like Poeltl. Good player, good guy, etc. But I wish the Spurs would actually pick a strategy. Not trading on draft day made me think that the strategy was to open a ton of cap room. But now after signing Poeltl? I don't know what they're doing and don't see a clear path to a winning strategy. This half-rebuild, half-stay-the-course strategy doesn't have much discernable direction.

Is this copy pasta :lol

Mr. Body
11-21-2020, 12:21 AM
So are they really gonna employ four centers in 2021 with LMA, Jak, Lyles, and Eubanks? I'd think LMA would be on the move, right?

In what universe is Trey Lyles a center?

Chinook
11-21-2020, 12:21 AM
sportrac has Carroll's dead money higher fwiw, an extra $ 182,387

who is correct between two sites, I can't say

I don't know that either is correct, but I just typed in a number that looked right.

That extra $200k is okay, though, because there's a bit more wiggle room in the number than the Capulator suggests. The rookie scale did not increase this year, which is basically noted in the numbers. But the min should not have increased as well. That alone is $130K. Then Eubanks' deal is probably too high because I calc'd his deal using his total value but wasn't able to account for his higher increases. So even before potential set-off, the Spurs should be okay.

TimDunkem
11-21-2020, 12:22 AM
Same team, but Spurs are banking on growth and featured roles for the young guns to change the results.

Something tells me the results won't be much different for better or worse with DDR, LMA, and Gay taking 50 shots a game.

Chinook

Lyles will be the starting PF unless something changes.

timvp
I'm surprised timvp is blowing this one, too, but he makes mistakes sometimes.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this signing and it looks great in retrospect. I'd be pretty shocked, though, unless there's something more to the story like Aldridge being traded. As it stands, I can admit this is very fair compensation to Poeltl in a vacuum but in context, it just doesn't fit any sort of strategy I can see.

spurraider21
11-21-2020, 12:23 AM
What’s the half rebuild part?

Prime BEEF
Doubt it. This FO is predictable and lazy. They don’t like to make trades...much less big trades. Just like they usually always just pick guards and euros in the draft.

Atl Spur

I don’t understand....... our fans need to stop acting like entitled little broads. I’m still waiting for someone to name that franchise/front office that is better than ours! #prisonersofthemoment . Example: Phoenix in 2017 drafted josh Jackson #4.... marinate on that!!! Yet we bitching about Demarre Carrol ��������

Chinook
11-21-2020, 12:24 AM
SA had a real path to a max deal next season and they punted that chance for a non shooting backup Center in the modern NBA. Couldn’t be me.

They still have one if they're willing to risk not extending White. Look at that Capulator link I sent and mess around with the holds for next off-season. Poeltl alone doesn't prevent anything. He just signed for like $2 or $3 Million more than he was expected to. Him not being on the books at all wasn't really in the plan.

Dejounte
Something tells me the results won't be much different for better or worse with DDR, LMA, and Gay taking 50 shots a game.

Replacing Bryn and Beli is 20 wins added to last year's total.

SpurPadre
A non-jumperless center who plays good all round defense at both the rim/perimeter, is almost always a net plus on the court when he plays and can be a good P&R partner for our developing guards. You should be aware of these things if you are a Spurs fan who watches Spurs games.

You should also be aware the game has changed drastically to the chagrin of bigs like Poetl.

Truth4sale$
11-21-2020, 12:25 AM
Poeltl might be a bit over paid, but he knows the system and the limit to his abilities. The Spurs based off of their draft picks they focusing on defense. Poeltl is a defensive old school center, he sets great screens, rebounds and block shots. A poor man Steven Adams at half the price.
If he can learn to shoot jumpers at least mid range this is not a bad deal at all.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 12:25 AM
What’s the half rebuild part?

Drafting players and giving them featured roles in the offense rather than starting vets over them. At most SA, might be able to sneak a vet into the last spot. But that player can block out everyone.

TimDunkem
11-21-2020, 12:26 AM
Replacing Bryn and Beli is 20 wins added to last year's total.
I will go on the record right now saying that if they run it back they will not get out of the first round if they even make the playoffs.

Gibbz
In what universe is Trey Lyles a center?

In the year of our lord 2020 where Dwight Howard signs a vet minimum deal and Joe Harris/Davis Bertans sign for a combined $155 million. Do you honestly think Trey Lyles plays the 4 in any NBA lineup next season?

Mr. Body
Hopefully I'm wrong about this signing and it looks great in retrospect. I'd be pretty shocked, though, unless there's something more to the story like Aldridge being traded. As it stands, I can admit this is very fair compensation to Poeltl in a vacuum but in context, it just doesn't fit any sort of strategy I can see.

I would suggest you don't understand the team's strategy or why Poeltl is important to developing the young wings and guards.

Mugen
11-21-2020, 12:27 AM
Trade Lamarcus. Why the fuck would you bring Poetl back at that price if you aren't willing to get something for LA.

spurraider21
11-21-2020, 12:27 AM
Drafting players and giving them featured roles in the offense rather than starting vets over them. At most SA, might be able to sneak a vet into the last spot. But that player can block out everyone.
When did that happen?

Mr. Body
11-21-2020, 12:28 AM
In the year of our lord 2020 where Dwight Howard signs a vet minimum deal and Joe Harris/Davis Bertans sign for a combined $155 million. Do you honestly think Trey Lyles plays the 4 in any NBA lineup next season?

What pure fucking gibberish. What does Dwight Howard, an actual center, have to do with whether Trey Lyles, who is not a center, is a center? What does Joe Harris, who is not a center, or Davis Bertans, who is not a center, have to do with whether Trey Lyles, who is not a center, is a center?

Good fucking grief.

Chinook
I will go on the record right now saying that if they run it back they will not get out of the first round if they even make the playoffs.

I mean, I don't think SA is scared of being knocked out in the first round. Seems like a good outcome for a team that still has all of its picks and tons of cap space next summer.

timvp
Here are the numbers I have..

DeMar DeRozan: $27,739,975
LaMarcus Aldridge: $24,000,000
Rudy Gay: $14,500,000
Dejounte Murray: $14,286,000
Patrick Mills: $13,535,714
Jakob Poeltl: $8,650,000
DeMarre Carroll: $6,167,887
Trey Lyles: $5,500,000
Devin Vassell: $4,033,440
Derrick White: $3,516,284
Lonnie Walker IV: $2,892,000
Luka Samanic: $2,824,320
Keldon Johnson: $2,048,040
Drew Eubanks: $1,620,564
Tre Jones: $898,310
Quinndary Weatherspoon: Two-Way
Total: $132,212,534
Luxury Tax Threshold: $132,627,000

So, that's a cool $400,000 below the threshold if the salaries are accurate :lol

gambit1990
it's tradable.

Robz4000

:wow sniffvp waking up

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:29 AM
I'll take Chinook's input and say that we do give some minutes to the highest lottery pick since Duncan...

After ten games into the season:

Murray/ Lonnie/ Tre
White/ Vassell/ Mills or Q (Mills for offensive spark, Q for a defensive stop)
DeMar/ Keldon/ Q
Lyles/ Gay/ Samanic
Aldridge/ Poetl/ Eubanks

Mills needs to take a back seat and take more of a mentor role.

Lonnie's improved playmaking can make him the engine of the second group.

Chinook
When did that happen?

That is happening with the Spurs not signing any vets. They have no choice but to play the young guys a lot.

leo07251413

I mean, he's not going to sign that contract with us, we're not the Lakers and we don't have LeBron.

Mr. Body
11-21-2020, 12:30 AM
Poeltl might be a bit over paid.

He's not though. That's the narrative generated by the big geniuses of this board for some reason. I mean, I'm not a huge Poeltl fan, but something like 85% of this board is completely wrong about this one.

JuneJive
11-21-2020, 12:30 AM
A team needs a mobile rim protector.
Thats what he does at a high level.

If they drafted defense, they bolstered it right here.

His offensive role is screen / off. rebs and easy finishes.

Can't be mad with that.

Also, what's with that "masterplan" regarding next years cap space.

The Truth #6
11-21-2020, 12:31 AM

So, that's a cool $400,000 below the threshold if the salaries are accurate :lol

It’s just funny seeing Carroll on that list. Lord.

DPG21920
They still have one if they're willing to risk not extending White. Look at that Capulator link I sent and mess around with the holds for next off-season. Poeltl alone doesn't prevent anything. He just signed for like $2 or $3 Million more than he was expected to. Him not being on the books at all wasn't really in the plan.

If the Spurs mess around with White because they want cap space and do that because they signed Poeltl they are idiots.

Spursfanfromafar
You should also be aware the game has changed drastically to the chagrin of bigs like Poetl.

Nope. The game hasn't changed that drastically. Case in point, the Rockets. There is little value for a post-up center who plays mediocre defense such as Jahlil Okafor. There is a lot of value still for a jumperless center who is very good at defense and unlocks various offensive actions for guards/ wings in a guard dominated league.

Gibbz
What pure fucking gibberish. What does Dwight Howard, an actual center, have to do with whether Trey Lyles, who is not a center, is a center? What does Joe Harris, who is not a center, or Davis Bertans, who is not a center, have to do with whether Trey Lyles, who is not a center, is a center?

Good fucking grief.

Your dismissal of Lyles as a center negates the statement from your perspective, so there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

Eaglenole2002
Hollinger thinks Poeltl is worth more than we’re paying...

Jakob Poeltl (R), San Antonio — $13,166,442
Poeltl is a traditional, unsexy center and that may cap his market at the midlevel exception, especially since the Spurs can match any offer. His lack of floor spacing capability and iffy mobility above the 3-point line conspire against him in the pace-and-space era.
But within his role, he’s really good. For a big lug, he’s actually pretty nimble, blocking shots around the rim, positioning himself well in drop coverages and dominating on the glass. Offensively it’s a similar story, as he can’t shoot and has a pretty blah post game, but combats that with a good feel, hard screens, and solid finishing around the basket.
The 25-year-old Austrian may not progress much beyond this level, but it’s pretty easy to see him as the Spurs’ starting center once LaMarcus Aldridge moves on. At anything in the $10 million range, he’s worth it.

Robz4000
It’s just funny seeing Carroll on that list. Lord.

:lol the gift that keeps on giving

PhantomDashCam
11-21-2020, 12:32 AM
Without a doubt Dejounte, but that’s the point. Why wasn’t that determined earlier? It sounds like another experiment on the cards where our two leading scorers don’t fit together on the court and don’t fit with a newly re-signed center. The draft suggested to me we were heading into position-less type basketball - when now 3 guys (who all have to play), are anything but...

timvp
I would suggest you don't understand the team's strategy

Bingo.

Hopefully there is a strategy that makes this make sense. I don't see it right now but admittedly there could be more to the story.

illusioNtEk
its actually not high at all, NYC would of gave him MAX money...

I will say this tho... he will be a great trade asset

pad300
Chinook, a Question : You have both "Tre Young" (who I presume is Tre Jones) and Weatherspoon at $963 005 each. Are they really that expensive? Weatherspoon is probably still on a 2 way and Tre Jones might end up on one - how much space would that give us?

The Truth #6
A team needs a mobile rim protector.
Thats what he does at a high level.

If they drafted defense, they bolstered it right here.

His offensive role is screen / off. rebs and easy finishes.

Can't be mad with that.

Also, what's with that "masterplan" regarding next years cap space.

Signing DD for as much as we can?

Mugen
11-21-2020, 12:33 AM
It'd be absolutely fucking hilarious if they can't trade any one of Mills/Gay/Derozan/LMA for a single asset. Jesus christ, this FO. :lol

TimDunkem
11-21-2020, 12:35 AM
I mean, I don't think SA is scared of being knocked out in the first round. Seems like a good outcome for a team that still has all of its picks and tons of cap space next summer.
I'm leaning towards them just missing the playoffs if everything remains the same. I'd rather they just make a move to at least form a competitive, interesting team then let come what may. The team seems rudderless and the product is just plain awful, imho.

timvp
11-21-2020, 12:36 AM
That is happening with the Spurs not signing any vets. They have no choice but to play the young guys a lot.

Yeah, they're obviously not all-in on winning right now and have been actively opening spots for youngsters while not bringing on vets with long-term deals. But they are also not doing what's best for the team's future.

So it's difficult to understand what they're trying to do when they're not taking either of the two most obvious routes. Hopefully it makes sense at some point down the line but for now it looks like the Spurs are rudderlessly drifting between the two strategies.

gambit1990
11-21-2020, 12:36 AM
if PATFO is thinking no forbes and no marco is good enough :lol

NoodleFN
11-21-2020, 12:37 AM
It'd be absolutely fucking hilarious if they can't trade any one of Mills/Gay/Derozan/LMA for a single asset. Jesus christ, this FO. :lol
BOO FUCKING HOO CRY

Spursfanfromafar
11-21-2020, 12:37 AM
Now, if the Spurs can trade Aldridge for some value/ any value/ young player with upside/ picks. I will consider this offseason as a success (with the addition of defense minded Vassell & Tre Jones to replace Forbes & Belinelli).

Kurik
11-21-2020, 12:38 AM
Good deal, I do think people underestimate Poetl’s worth on the market. If LMA can be moved eventually the deal will look even better. I also think the contract can be traded to a contender in a year or two if need be, assuming the Spurs muster the courage to make a trade.

gospursgojas
Fair price. Do you guys see what others are getting? Morris got 16 a year, C Wood (whoever that is) got 14, Davis got 16, Galo got (who I like but is not worth) 20 mil a year.

I’d put his 9 mil a year right on track with market.

Robz4000
I'm leaning towards them just missing the playoffs if everything remains the same. I'd rather they just make a move to at least form a competitive, interesting team then let come what may. The team seems rudderless and the product is just plain awful, imho.

Team should be a lot more interesting just for the fact that Forms and Beli have been jettisoned. That's 50-60 mins opened up for the youngins.

Gibbz
11-21-2020, 12:39 AM
Yeah, they're obviously not all-in on winning right now and have been actively opening spots for youngsters while not bringing on vets with long-term deals. But they are also not doing what's best for the team's future.

So it's difficult to understand what they're trying to do when they're not taking either of the two most obvious routes. Hopefully it makes sense at some point down the line but for now it looks like the Spurs are rudderlessly drifting between the two strategies.

It honestly sounds like handling Pop with kid-gloves. Like a retirement home for him. And I'm not a Pop hater.

TimDunkem
11-21-2020, 12:41 AM
Team should be a lot more interesting just for the fact that Forms and Beli have been jettisoned. That's 50-60 mins opened up for the youngins.
Something tells me watching DDR/LMA/Gay continue to throw up a ton of fadeaway bricks every night is still going to be boring as fuck.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 12:41 AM

I haven't seen anything on Poeltl's deal, but 27M/3.24 is $8.33 Million. That gives the Spurs another $300k. That'd leave the team $200k short of another minimum salary.

Robz4000
11-21-2020, 12:42 AM
Something tells me watching DDR/LMA/Gay continue to throw up a ton of fadeaway bricks every night is still going to be boring as fuck.

:lol didn't say it was going to be that much better

Degoat
11-21-2020, 12:42 AM
Run it back SZN!!

slick'81
11-21-2020, 12:44 AM
Lma needs to get dealt for this deal to be worh it for sa

Floyd Pacquiao
11-21-2020, 12:45 AM
After the way he got his ass beat in the bubble the spurs reward him? Sounds about par for the last 5 years of free agent signings

Chinook
11-21-2020, 12:46 AM
Chinook, a Question : You have both "Tre Young" (who I presume is Tre Jones) and Weatherspoon at $963 005 each. Are they really that expensive? Weatherspoon is probably still on a 2 way and Tre Jones might end up on one - how much space would that give us?

They aren't that expensive, especially if Weatherspoon stays on a two-way deal. But the capulator won't let you set contracts lower than what it determines is the rookie min. It still operates as if the cap projections are good.

It's a rough guess, but it does give one an idea of where the salaries are.

tbdog
11-21-2020, 12:47 AM
Lyles will be the starting PF unless something changes.

That's a disaster in the West.

slick'81
11-21-2020, 12:47 AM
9 mil per is def a nice raise for poodle power

timvp
11-21-2020, 12:48 AM
I haven't seen anything on Poeltl's deal, but 27M/3.24 is $8.33 Million. That gives the Spurs another $300k. That'd leave the team $200k short of another minimum salary.

Two-way players can play up to 50 games this season, right? Considering there are only 72 games, just adding another two-way guy will be plenty. A roster with 14 players and a pair of two-wayers is easily deep enough.

The best use of the excess money would probably be to hold it into the regular season in case there's a youngster who emerges in the G League who you can add with a multi-year deal at the minimum.

J_Paco

I thought that was DeJounte?

Haven't you seen all the endless posts about how the 29th pick, who is a solid contributor, but is miscast as a lead guard is trash, "overpaid" and needs to be traded?

If/when DeJounte leaves then Lonnie or some other unfortunate soul will come along to be derided about his game/social media posts/"character" by SpursTalk.

Anyway Poeltl got more than I'd have liked but apparently this is the off-season to start handing out $8 - $10 million to backup bigmen.

Needs to show more on the offensive end to really live up to the contract & heightened expectations. And the Spurs could use a much, much better running mate than Lyles, Gay and/or (maybe) Samanic in the frontcourt.

BacktoBasics
This forum is retarded. This is barely overpaying. A little high but more than reasonable. Hopefully this is a precursor to LA leaving.

**BUSTA**
11-21-2020, 12:49 AM

Carroll taking the last roster spot and not playing again

Mugen
11-21-2020, 12:49 AM
If this was literally any other franchise, I'd say all signs/moves since the restart point to LMA getting moved.

It just makes so much sense until he's back in a Spurs uniform in a month and the Spurs are paying 11mil for his backups :lol

leo07251413
11-21-2020, 12:50 AM
I'll take Chinook (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557)'s input and say that we do give some minutes to the highest lottery pick since Duncan...

After ten games into the season:

Murray/ Lonnie/ Tre
White/ Vassell/ Mills or Q (Mills for offensive spark, Q for a defensive stop)
DeMar/ Keldon/ Q
Lyles/ Gay/ Samanic
Aldridge/ Poetl/ Eubanks

Mills needs to take a back seat and take more of a mentor role.

Lonnie's improved playmaking can make him the engine of the second group.

I actually like this roster quite a lot, as long as our young guys play more minutes than the last few seasons.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 12:51 AM
Spurs really just got held hostage by a non Offensive backup Center in the modern NBA because they didn’t want the Kawhi trade to look any worse :lol

Somehow the Kawhi trade did get worse by them signing Jakob under these conditions lol

Mugen
11-21-2020, 12:52 AM
Spurs really just got held hostage by a non Offensive backup Center in the modern NBA because they didn’t want the Kawhi trade to look any worse :lol

Somehow the Kawhi trade did get worse by them signing Jakob under these conditions lol

Just wait til you see what they give Demar next summer tbh

TimDunkem
Just wait til you see what they give Demar next summer tbh
The more time passes the more it looks like they really do like what they have. :(

FkLA
I like Yak. Glad he's back. Defense, defense, defense. Refreshing af to see it being emphasized after years of worrying about "spacing".

ST thinks everyone is overpaid.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 12:54 AM
Two-way players can play up to 50 games this season, right?

I think it was 45 days up, not games. But those only counted during the time the d-league was in season. Beginning and end of the year is free. If there's no d-league at all next year or just little pockets, those guys are pretty much going to be with the big club as much as they want.

Dejounte
I actually like this roster quite a lot, as long as our young guys play more minutes than the last few seasons.

Vassell+Keldon bench combo floor: Kawhi + DG
Vassell+Keldon bench combo ceiling: MJ + Pip

slick'81
Hope he doesnt waste another year behind lma

TimDunkem
11-21-2020, 12:55 AM
Hope he doesnt waste another year behind lma
Oh he will.

ElNono
11-21-2020, 12:56 AM
What does this mean? Do we still have a shot at landing Harden?

PhantomDashCam
11-21-2020, 12:57 AM
This forum is retarded. This is barely overpaying. A little high but more than reasonable. Hopefully this is a precursor to LA leaving.

Again, I don’t think (all) people are upset on the numerical value of the deal but the mis-matched duo of LA and DDR with Poeltl. All 3 need court time and 2 occupy the same position. Does it change your opinion of the deal if LA stays, the Spurs finish 11th and he leaves in FA?

Chinook

On one hand, I'm annoyed that SA loses out on a roster spot because they had to go this high. Even one million less over the light of the deal would've been enough to get them that last spot.

On the other hand, it's clear that this was the most the Spurs could offer. Jakob taking it could be he was willing to work with the team in order to come back. Other teams might not've had that same limitation. I still would've preferred getting something tangible in a sign-and-trade. But if you actually look at whom NOP could use in a trade, it was worse than overpaying.

DPG21920
NO trading for Adam’s now

J_Paco
If this was literally any other franchise, I'd say all signs/moves since the restart point to LMA getting moved.

It just makes so much sense until he's back in a Spurs uniform in a month and the Spurs are paying 11mil for his backups :lol

Hey, dumb dumb a lot of back ups are making that same range in money.

And Aldridge is gone after this season maybe sooner & the team likes what Poeltl + Eubanks bring to the table.

I would have been fine with a stopgap like Nerlens Noel, but he would have likely asked for $6 - $8 million with the amount other mid - tier centers are asking. Might as well stick with the devil you know, etc......

Chinook
What does this mean? Do we still have a shot at landing Harden?

They already had a shot. Now they have two.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 12:58 AM
On one hand, I'm annoyed that SA loses out on a roster spot because they had to go this high. Even one million less over the light of the deal would've been enough to get them that last spot.

On the other hand, it's clear that this was the most the Spurs could offer. Jakob taking it could be he was willing to work with the team in order to come back. Other teams might not've had that same limitation. I still would've preferred getting something tangible in a sign-and-trade. But if you actually look at whom NOP could use in a trade, it was worse than overpaying.

Let him walk

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:59 AM
With the way the PF rotation looks, one hopes Samanic can make a giant development leap...

Gay has one foot out the door to Father Time

timvp

Fits with the timing of losing out on Poeltl. Costly contingency, though.

Chinook

If they were willing to eat Adams' deal, they were probably willing to pay Jakob a pretty penny in an S&T. Dunno if the Spurs would've been able to take back enough salary to even accommodate that kind of deal.

ElNono
11-21-2020, 01:00 AM
They already had a shot. Now they have two.

Fuck yeah!

Dejounte
A good surprise this season would be Samanic being good. That would raise the hell out of the team's ceiling.

Right now what the team is hoping for is for the Vassell + Keldon bench combo to raise the ceiling. Samanic would be gravy.

Chinook
Let him walk

Over a couple of million bucks? So the Spurs could have $60 Million in space rather than $52 Million?

gospursgojas
11-21-2020, 01:01 AM
How is Vassel getting paid more than white and Keldon? Draft position?

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 01:02 AM
Over a couple of million bucks? So the Spurs could have $60 Million in space rather than $52 Million?

Yup. 8M in extra space > Jakob in the setting the Spurs are in imo.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 01:02 AM
A good surprise this season would be Samanic being good. That would raise the hell out of the team's ceiling.

Any of the young guys taking the next step would raise the ceiling. Samanic being a starter would be great. But Vassell or Johnson moving into SL and changing the defensive culture there would also add a lot of wins

Chinook
11-21-2020, 01:03 AM
Yup.

That's foolish. I could see it when you believed it was a max slot at risk. But it's not.

FkLA
11-21-2020, 01:05 AM

See, now that dude is overpaid. Same type of player but on a $90 million contract.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 01:06 AM
That's foolish. I could see it when you believed it was a max slot at risk. But it's not.

I’m operating under assumption white is extended soon (even if Jakob was not brought back). But no matter what from the beginning I’ve said I prefer no contracts over one year. None. If Sa was running it back that is.

Chinook
11-21-2020, 01:07 AM
I’m operating under assumption white is extended soon (even if Jakob was not brought back). But no matter what from the beginning I’ve said I prefer no contracts over one year. None. If Sa was running it back that is.
So you'd prefer no White extension since it's over a year?

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 01:09 AM
He’s not worth the deal in any scenario SA has put themselves in imo. So I don’t care if Sa can still have 52m (I think white is extended and eats into that) they need no dead weight deals for players that are not worth it.

Could I be wrong? Of course. I didn’t want the risk and dollar for dollar would value cap space over him.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 01:10 AM
So you'd prefer no White extension since it's over a year?

I want white extended and no Jakob and the situation that would put SA in. I meant free agents

FkLA
11-21-2020, 01:11 AM
shut up DPG

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 01:12 AM
Trade ddr and LMA then I change my tune a lot.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 01:13 AM
shut up DPG

You doing good?

gambit1990
11-21-2020, 01:17 AM
pels getting adams... every team in the west making moves but the spurs :lol

reminds me of last offseason.

objective
11-21-2020, 01:19 AM
How is Vassel getting paid more than white and Keldon? Draft position?

yes.

the scale can be found here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/scale17.htm (http://www.cbafaq.com/scale17.htm)

19/20 and 20/21 should be the same. The numbers in the scale aren't the actual number, you have to add 20% to the number for the caphold

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 01:19 AM
Brian Wright: “our work isn’t done”

Proceeds to nonsensically sign Jakob and that’s it :lol

They really looked at this team and thought: let’s make no changes but make it more expensive

J_Paco
11-21-2020, 01:25 AM

Steven Adams?

Really, he was gonna be the guy that would catapult back to title contention? Please.....

I hate that they are running it back with Gay, Mills, DeRozan & Aldridge but keeping their young talent around (and intact) within financial reason is sound.

They do need to go "all - in" on a rebuild but having a ton of cap space - unless absorbing bad deals & accumulating draft picks - isn't gonna mean shit to one of the smallest markets in the NBA. Tim Duncan, Manu, Tony & Nephew are gone & free agents are going to flock in San Antonio to be the "saviour."

Thomas82
11-21-2020, 01:30 AM

Very well said!!

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 01:32 AM
Steven Adams?

Really, he was gonna be the guy that would catapult back to title contention? Please.....

I hate that they are running it back with Gay, Mills, DeRozan & Aldridge but keeping their young talent around (and intact) within financial reason is sound.

They do need to go "all - in" on a rebuild but having a ton of cap space - unless absorbing bad deals & accumulating draft picks - isn't gonna mean shit to one of the smallest markets in the NBA. Tim Duncan, Manu, Tony & Nephew are gone & free agents are going to flock in San Antonio to be the "saviour."

What

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-21-2020, 01:33 AM
I like this deal. Perhaps a slight overpay, but still worth it and very tradable if needed to.

1.It allows the Spurs to trade Aldridge during the season if there's a good offer.
2.It points to them not re-signing Forbes or another Carroll-like vet.
3.It points to them willing to play their young guys a lot.
4.Preserves a lot of cap space for next summer. I would have hated losing Poeltl to NO ( and him being such a good Zion defender is an underrated plus ) and then having to sign a replacement vet for a deal that'd eat into cap space next summer anyway.
5.Barring trades they'd go into next summer with a roster consisting of 10 players either on rookie deals or extensions (and another 1st round pick) plus giant cap space. What they could do with the cap space is another matter. But it's a clean slate , very tidy looking cap situation.

J_Paco
11-21-2020, 01:35 AM
Brian Wright: “our work isn’t done”

Proceeds to nonsensically sign Jakob and that’s it :lol

They really looked at this team and thought: let’s make no changes but make it more expensive

No changes?

Marco + Bryn jettisoned + a lottery pick equals no changes?

Of course we would all love the team to really fast track a rebuild & stop with this trying to compete for mediocrity shit. Unfortunately, we have a ("out of touch") HOF coach that has too much pride to sink to the bottom of the standings.

The veterans will be gone soon, Pop will retire, the team will conceivably have cap space to sign our "saviour" & hopefully another lottery pick in a loaded draft class.

I know pessimism & negativity is all ST feeds off of since the end of (and during) the Big 3 Era, but the rebuild is coming and it could last a really, really long time. At least will have a pool of talent to start off with unlike some teams in the past.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 01:44 AM
I like this deal. Perhaps a slight overpay, but still worth it and very tradable if needed to.

1.It allows the Spurs to trade Aldridge during the season if there's a good offer.
2.It points to them not re-signing Forbes or another Carroll-like vet.
3.It points to them willing to play their young guys a lot.
4.Preserves a lot of cap space for next summer. I would have hated losing Poeltl to NO ( and him being such a good Zion defender is an underrated plus ) and then having to sign a replacement vet for a deal that'd eat into cap space next summer anyway.
5.Barring trades they'd go into next summer with a roster consisting of 10 players either on rookie deals or extensions (and another 1st round pick) plus giant cap space. What they could do with the cap space is another matter. But it's a clean slate , very tidy looking cap situation.

How does poeltl deal preserve space? It dollar for dollar eats into it vs signing a 1 season stop gap

Kurik
11-21-2020, 01:45 AM
Was on team DPG for the draft discussion, now on team Chinook for free agency. Exciting offseason so far, hopefully a trade is made. :corn:

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 01:46 AM
Was on team DPG for the draft discussion, now on team Chinook for free agency. Exciting offseason so far, hopefully a trade is made. :corn:

They're both madmen lmao

tonski117
11-21-2020, 01:47 AM
If we have a lot of guards,this would be a good signing bexause jakob knows his role yo be a solide defender and rebounder and set picks for the guards

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-21-2020, 01:49 AM
How does poeltl deal preserve space? It dollar for dollar eats into it vs signing a 1 season stop gap

Preserves the max slot, although exactly how much cap space they'd have is a much of muchness right now. They'll have 10 or 11 players on the roster next summer on rookie deals or extensions and all of them will be tradable depending on exactly how much space they'd need to make their moves.

slick'81
11-21-2020, 01:52 AM
Im fine with 8mil+ for poodle. Just get something for an aging lma and unleash poodle power!

lefty20
11-21-2020, 01:59 AM
This is a good signing. This contract is gonna be super easy to trade if opening up more cap space becomes necessary in the next two years.

BackHome
11-21-2020, 02:09 AM
Man 2020 has been a shitty year but I have a bad feeling 2021 is going to be much worse :dramaquee

gospursgojas
11-21-2020, 02:19 AM
yes.

the scale can be found here:

http://www.cbafaq.com/scale17.htm (http://www.cbafaq.com/scale17.htm)

19/20 and 20/21 should be the same. The numbers in the scale aren't the actual number, you have to add 20% to the number for the caphold

Ask a question get an answer. Hell of a set up you got here. Ty sir.

TDMVPDPOY
11-21-2020, 02:30 AM
couldve sign some cheap big instead of overpaying for a scrub

phxspurfan
11-21-2020, 02:57 AM

This.

The money doesnt look that bad (in a vacuum as has been said). But the deal smacks of saving face for the trade that sent Kawhi away for basically nothing.

If LMA stays, these two deals will look strange. Paying market price and locking long term deals for two backup bigmen when youre not contending.

And yes it will make the FO look like absolute shit if this is the reason they cant lock up White long term

edit

it also looks like a face saving move given the draft blunders of drafting yet another PG and SG. Like "hey we really liked our big men, see! We didnt fuck up in the draft after all"

TheCerebral1
11-21-2020, 03:13 AM
Fucking terrible.

poopbox
11-21-2020, 04:20 AM

Well why we all want them to trade LMA, DDR, Gay, and Mills, I always assumed that the original plan was to just let all their contracts expire at the same time and open up a ton of cap space for next year...

There is also the human element of this where Poeltl is a guy you got in the Kawhi trade...there is no doubt at the absolute worst Demar is gone after next season...that means the kawhi trade only netted you poeltl and keldon...you let poeltl walk then the kawhi trade only netted you keldon... I assumed the spurs were always going to sign poeltl if for no other reason than to save face in that trade...

A short deal and not to big of an overpay for a big with quick feet, a good rim runner, and at times a really good rim protector...

I would like his offense to be better but realistically between dejounte derrick lonnie keldon and luka...exactly how many shots is he really going to get ? He sure as shit isn't getting shots this coming year with LMA DDR and Gay needing to showcase themselves for another nba contract...those 3 are shooting everything they touch...

SpursFanInAustin
11-21-2020, 05:02 AM
Well why we all want them to trade LMA, DDR, Gay, and Mills, I always assumed that the original plan was to just let all their contracts expire at the same time and open up a ton of cap space for next year...

There is also the human element of this where Poeltl is a guy you got in the Kawhi trade...there is no doubt at the absolute worst Demar is gone after next season...that means the kawhi trade only netted you poeltl and keldon...you let poeltl walk then the kawhi trade only netted you keldon... I assumed the spurs were always going to sign poeltl if for no other reason than to save face in that trade...

A short deal and not to big of an overpay for a big with quick feet, a good rim runner, and at times a really good rim protector...

I would like his offense to be better but realistically between dejounte derrick lonnie keldon and luka...exactly how many shots is he really going to get ? He sure as shit isn't getting shots this coming year with LMA DDR and Gay needing to showcase themselves for another nba contract...those 3 are shooting everything they touch...

Right on the nosey with this one. LMA, DDR, Gay and Mills contracts will expire leaving a ton of capspace and we're more than likely going to use it to extend White and probably down the line for Lonnie and KJ depending on how they play this year. Poeltl re-signing is exactly for getting their nets worth on the Nephew trade. DDR for Nephew is the equivalent to netting Steve Smith for Derek Anderson back in 2001. Needing a "big name" in return. Although DDR is a much better player at this point than Smith was in 2001.

And I can tell you that Gay is on his way to retirement after this season. No team is going to overpay for a 35 year old with an achilles injury history. Aldridge also at age 36 next summer has seen his best days behind him. I would expect LMA to post up less and be more of a pick and pop player and stretch the floor on occasion. If he doesn't, then Pop will give more minutes to Poeltl who will shoot less and crash the boards and defend.

DDR while in a contract year, at age 31 will also have seen his best years behind him. I see DDR in the role he was in during the bubble as the point forward and getting all of the young guys involved in the first halves and picks his spots to take over games late in the 4th. That alone has value in free agency and he will still get his money if he can stay healthy and continue in that role next season.

tbdog
11-21-2020, 05:19 AM
It's an overpay by about 2 mil per. I like the player. Just be interesting what he will do going forward.

itzsoweezee
11-21-2020, 05:24 AM
Everything about this off-season was predictable if you'd been paying attention to what the front office has been doing the past 4 years or so.

They have absolutely no long term plan and are just treading water not realizing they're sinking. Really probably the worst run team in the western conference.

The thought of watching LMA, DDR, Gay, and Patty play a ton of minutes just so that the Spurs can land the #14 pick rather than in the top 5 is nauseating.

It would not surprise me if DDR is wearing a Spurs uniform for years to come

Atl Spur
11-21-2020, 05:33 AM
Everything about this off-season was predictable if you'd been paying attention to what the front office has been doing the past 4 years or so.

They have absolutely no long term plan and are just treading water not realizing they're sinking. Really probably the worst run team in the western conference.

This man is crazy emotional.....relax homie.

The thought of watching LMA, DDR, Gay, and Patty play a ton of minutes just so that the Spurs can land the #14 pick rather than in the top 5 is nauseating.

SpursFanInAustin
11-21-2020, 05:50 AM

Except they won't other than DDR.

Mills is like the 3rd point guard and if you had been paying attention in the bubble, he's more of a mentor than role player at this point and probably going to be groomed as an assistant coach in the future.

Again, Rudy Gay probably only going to play 15 minutes a game. Maybe even less this year as guys like KJ (and to an extent, Lonnie) emerge like they did in the summer.

Aldridge is 35 going on 36 and coming off shoulder surgery. Even he probably knows his best days are behind him and will likely play limited minutes. Think 2001 DRob or McDyess type of role.

Shakril
11-21-2020, 05:55 AM

Those comments are the reason why Poeltl is so underrated. Montrez Harrel is a better Scorer yes, but also is more a forward than a center. Defensivly Poeltl is better than Harrell. But defense is not sexy, so people tend to overvalue offense and undervalue defense.

From the comments of TIM VP i gather, that the spurs wanted to hold Poeltl. If they didnt, they could have let him go sign somewhere else, interest was there.

MoSpur02
11-21-2020, 06:05 AM
This deal isn’t bad. Especially if Poeltl improves while playing more minutes. The Spurs are trading Aldridge in my honest opinion. Not sure what kind of player they’re looking to bring back. Hopefully a mobile 4 who can stretch the floor. Adams makes about $25 million per and Dedmon makes about $13-$14 who are basically the same type as Poeltl. The only centers who I can think of making less than Poeltl and are the same type of player are Zubac, Theis, and Kanter. Meyers Leonard just signed for $10 million per year so I’m not too mad at this contract especially when they decide to move Aldridge.

Shakril
11-21-2020, 06:09 AM
All in all this signing makes only sense if:

- this is a sign & Trade and Poeltl gets traded (is that even possible?)
- LMA will be Traded
- Poeltl got guarantees that he will play more minutes

If none of those 3 are true, i actually dont know what the Spurs FO is thinking. And why the Spurs havent made any trades until now is beyond me.

MannyIsGod
11-21-2020, 06:36 AM
Honestly it seems like Poetl only signs if he's getting more minutes. That points seriously to an LMA trade. If this season had fans, I would almost understand them trying to run it back and make a playoff run with the team the way it was. But with half the season - at least - not having any real fans of note, I don't understand why they are trying to field a playoff team so I have to assume a trade sending LMA out is coming. That's the only way this makes sense to me. I was ok with fighting for the playoffs last year due to the streak, but now? Now they should be focused on rebuilding and developing young players. I just dont see what keeping LMA, DDR, and investing this much money on a role player like Poetl does for the team.

I'll say this, there should be a clause where Peoltl gives back 500k each game in which he refuses to go up strong and dunk.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 06:46 AM
There will be no trades unless a starting PF comes back for Aldridge.

And there are no starting PFs that Aldridge is worth trading for.

I mention Aldridge here and not DeMar because people are trying to justify Poetl's contract by thinking he should be starting this season. Aldridge is the only one who would open up minutes for Poetl. The reason Aldridge would need to be traded strictly for a starting PF (trading for a backup PF makes no sense) is because our guard and wing positions are full.

Accept reality, people. It is done.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 07:01 AM
Also, trading LMA for cap space makes no sense. We are already positioned to have cap space to sign one max player next offseason even if we give Derrick White his pay day.

RC_Drunkford
11-21-2020, 07:15 AM
This is a slight overpay but might be a good contract down the stretch. Apparently Jakob was shooting 3s during his workouts. Not that I think he can shoot them but if he improves his offense it would be a good contract down the line. I’d rather lock him up for 3 years than to have him signed for 1 year for cheap and then having to renegotiate next year

exstatic
11-21-2020, 08:11 AM

Lyles isn’t a center, and barely a PF. With his build and skill set, he’s really a combo forward that we’re slotting at the four spot.

Excessive Egotist
11-21-2020, 08:17 AM
Lyles isn’t a center, and barely a PF. With his build and skill set, he’s really a combo forward that we’re slotting at the four spot.

Lyles strikes me as an ideal small ball center. I hope he sticks long term in order to fill that role.

YoungbuckMurray
11-21-2020, 08:19 AM
Lyles strikes me as ideal small ball center. I hope he sticks long term in order to fill that role.

he really is the perfect micro ball Center which I hope we use in small doses. Would be really nice to move LMA for a big wing

Excessive Egotist
11-21-2020, 08:28 AM
This is reading the tea leaves, but Poeltl, Lyles, and Eubanks is a good center rotation at a reasonable cost. Perhaps, Samanic eventually fills some of those minutes. One can imagine this is Buford/Wright's plan once Aldridge is moved or dropped.

ceperez
11-21-2020, 08:57 AM
Poetl is an all-star player... if only he had an offensive game!

tmtcsc
11-21-2020, 09:00 AM
Please trade Murray. The experiment is over. Lonnie shouldn’t feel safe either. He has only shown flashes & that’s not enough at this point. Where are the competitive DOGS on this roster? We have none.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 09:06 AM
You can do this all before the trade deadline. Why so impatient its not like the spurs are even expected to make the playoffs. WTF?

People want fast results.

Just like people are spoiled with Spotify today just to hear new music.

People had to download ONE song for thirty minutes using Kazaa, Napster, or Limewire back in the day.

r0drig0lac
11-21-2020, 09:12 AM
that's 50% more than Jak is worth, just horrible

JuneJive
11-21-2020, 09:26 AM
People are shitting on paying him because of next years cap space.

And they don't even know what it would be used for.
LMAO.

Isitjustme?
11-21-2020, 09:26 AM

Cry more

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 09:29 AM
People are shitting on paying him because of next years cap space.

And they don't even know what it would be used for.
LMAO.

Like I said earlier, there's still room for signing one max player next year. Were people expecting us to sign two max players next year or something?

Excessive Egotist
11-21-2020, 09:32 AM
Like I said earlier, there's still room for signing one max player next year. Were people expecting us to sign two max players next year or something?

Do you think Spurs have a max player in mind? Is there a max player you could see them targeting in a trade yet this season?

Ocotillo
11-21-2020, 09:34 AM
There has been a school of thought that we cannot get free agents to sign here, let alone max free agents and the Spurs next offseason will likely not be a destination for free agents barring the unexpected accelerated development of one of the young guys.

That may be part of the calculus. The offseason is not over yet and LMA, DDR, Patty and Rudy may yet be traded for someone who will also impact next years cap and that is the direction rather than maxing out cap space.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 09:35 AM
Do you think Spurs have a max player in mind? Is there a max player you could see them targeting in a trade yet this season?

The only worthwhile one I see is Giannis, and he fits the team's age group. I can't believe his ass is still only 25 years old.

KobesAchilles
11-21-2020, 09:37 AM
Dude plays 17 minutes a game and puts up less than 6 and 6. Can he improve? Maybe. His offense I doubt he improves bc he hasn’t improved it his entire career. His defense, for all the fanfare, doesn’t really matter in the long run bc he plays 17 minutes a game.

He plays hard, sets screens, is decently mobile, but he is very clearly a back up center. Another overpay for a backup. I can’t be too surprised I guess considering that seems to be our MO. He is 25 so maybe there’s hope in his upside, but what offensive improvement has he really shown? Jumper? No. Post game? No. Does he finish well in traffic? Nope.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 09:38 AM
There has been a school of thought that we cannot get free agents to sign here, let alone max free agents and the Spurs next offseason will likely not be a destination for free agents barring the unexpected accelerated development of one of the young guys.

That may be part of the calculus. The offseason is not over yet and LMA, DDR, Patty and Rudy may yet be traded for someone who will also impact next years cap and that is the direction rather than maxing out cap space.

That is true, too. Maybe Pascal Siakam or Jayson Tatum would be the trade targets ...

Dex
11-21-2020, 09:38 AM
Please trade Murray. The experiment is over. Lonnie shouldn’t feel safe either. He has only shown flashes & that’s not enough at this point. Where are the competitive DOGS on this roster? We have none.

I'm on the fence. Murray has shown flashes of greatness, especially defensively...but as he has become more confident, he also has shown a propensity to make boneheaded moves because he is trying to do too much. He has speed in the open court, but still hasn't learn to control a fast break. That breakdown against the Sixers in the bubble was squarely on his shoulders for these reasons.

As for Lonnie...I still don't know what to expect. He seems to have the tools (as we saw in his outburst against the Rockets last year)...but he still doesn't seem to know how to apply them. He seems to be way too content to blend into the background for a guy with "star potential". I still think back to young Manu who would stick his nose in there and do crazy things even if he knew Pop was going to blast him on the bench. I know Manu's are rare...but Lonnie needs to have that same mentality if he wants to stand out.

Excessive Egotist
11-21-2020, 09:40 AM
The only worthwhile one I see is Giannis, and he fits the team's age group. I can't believe his ass is still only 25 years old.

Same. The other options on *max* players would be George, Leonard, Adebayo, and Tatum. Maybe someone throws max money at Jonathan Isaac. Orlando might not match, especially coming off an injury. Perhaps that is our play. Overpay for Jonathan Isaac? Realistically, I don't see any of those players leaving their current team.

The next option is splitting max on two players, and maybe Issac enters that conversation.

ragas
11-21-2020, 09:51 AM

Exactly! Giannis can‘t wait to sign with the Spurs.

ragas
11-21-2020, 09:53 AM

have you seen the playoffs?

Excessive Egotist
11-21-2020, 09:55 AM
Same. The other options on *max* players would be George, Leonard, Adebayo, and Tatum. Maybe someone throws max money at Jonathan Isaac. Orlando might not match, especially coming off an injury. Perhaps that is our play. Overpay for Jonathan Isaac? Realistically, I don't see any of those players leaving their current team.

The next option is splitting max on two players, and maybe Issac enters that conversation.

As I think about it, Isaac is plausible. We offer more than Orlando wants to pay and tempt them with a sign and trade. I.e. overpay Isaac, then offer White or DJ or Lonnie for them not to match. Or a future pick. If his camp signals that Isaac doesn't want to resign in Orlando within the season, the Magic might do something at deadline. All this is unlikely, but Isaac is more likely a Spur than any other max or near max player.

On paper, he fits really well with the team minus our expiring vets.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 10:00 AM
As I think about it, Isaac is plausible. We offer more than Orlando wants to pay and tempt them with a sign and trade. I.e. overpay Isaac, then offer White or DJ or Lonnie for them not to match. Or a future pick. If his camp signals that Isaac doesn't want to resign in Orlando within the season, the Magic might do something at deadline. All this is unlikely, but Isaac is more likely a Spur than any other max or near max player.

On paper, he fits really well with the team minus our expiring vets.

Not sure about the appeal of Isaac. Very rare a reclamation project ever exceed what they have already shown. It'll be similar to Trey Lyles, I feel like.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 10:01 AM
have you seen the playoffs?

Montrezl was straight up unplayable in the playoffs. He hasn't adjusted well to the current NBA.

stu scotts eye
11-21-2020, 10:01 AM

You other old time posters are sooooo dramatic. I watched the bubble and see the massive potential with our players. And yes, I bet we make the playoffs

Dex
11-21-2020, 10:03 AM
Dude plays 17 minutes a game and puts up less than 6 and 6. Can he improve? Maybe. His offense I doubt he improves bc he hasn’t improved it his entire career. His defense, for all the fanfare, doesn’t really matter in the long run bc he plays 17 minutes a game.

He plays hard, sets screens, is decently mobile, but he is very clearly a back up center. Another overpay for a backup. I can’t be too surprised I guess considering that seems to be our MO. He is 25 so maybe there’s hope in his upside, but what offensive improvement has he really shown? Jumper? No. Post game? No. Does he finish well in traffic? Nope.

We can only hope that the FO believes he can grow into more. With a starter role and starter minutes, he could produce enough to justify the contract.

That said...if LMA is still sponging minutes next season, then he'll be left with cleanup duty.

Excessive Egotist
11-21-2020, 10:36 AM
Not sure about the appeal of Isaac. Very rare a reclamation project ever exceed what they have already shown. It'll be similar to Trey Lyles, I feel like.

Don't see him as a reclamation project at all. He was one of the more exciting young players in the league last year. Could be the best defensive player in basketball and his offensive game is continuing to develop. The injury, not the talent, is the question with Isaac.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 11:01 AM

If that was the plan paying Jakob hurts the cap space plan is the point.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 11:03 AM
You other old time posters are sooooo dramatic. I watched the bubble and see the massive potential with our players. And yes, I bet we make the playoffs

If common sense is dramatic I don’t know what to tell you lol.

I’ve explained clearly that I like Sa youth and think they will be ok. Not the point of the nitty gritty we are discussing though.

paperboy77
11-21-2020, 11:11 AM
Not sure what the complainers were hoping for. They probably just don’t care for him.

So far so good FO. Now dump Forbes and it’ll all work out!

Thomas82
11-21-2020, 11:12 AM

I see no lies in this post.

SpursDynasty85
11-21-2020, 11:22 AM

I feel like Spurs have a good idea of who they are going to sign in free agency way before it comes. I doubt Spurs can do much better with free agency money than this one.

Leetonidas
11-21-2020, 11:26 AM
Spurs are basically the 2010s Detroit Pistons now:lol

B1gduff
11-21-2020, 11:48 AM
lamo so many delusional people here. Calling Poeltl overpayed? 9 mil isn't overpayed. before the start of free agency i guess he'd be getting 7 mil, which is close. WHat overpayed is Morris getting 64 mils, Grant getting 60 mils.

Joseph Kony
11-21-2020, 11:59 AM
it's not a bad deal at all but Spurs really need to trade LMA now, this deal makes no sense if Poeltl is going to continue playing 20mpg. You don't pay a backup C on a non-playoff team a premium to provide 20mpg. But then again the FO has been retarded for 4 years now so who knows

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:00 PM
it's not a bad deal at all but Spurs really need to trade LMA now, this deal makes no sense if Poeltl is going to continue playing 20mpg. You don't pay a backup C on a non-playoff team a premium to provide 20mpg. But then again the FO has been retarded for 4 years now so who knows

There's no one to trade for. You don't trade for the sake of trading.

pad300
11-21-2020, 12:07 PM
They're both madmen lmao

Pot talking to a pair of kettles in the kitchen...

Atl Spur
11-21-2020, 12:08 PM
lamo so many delusional people here. Calling Poeltl overpayed? 9 mil isn't overpayed. before the start of free agency i guess he'd be getting 7 mil, which is close. WHat overpayed is Morris getting 64 mils, Grant getting 60 mils.

Dude don’t waste your breath........these clowns on this board aren’t hearing it.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:09 PM
Pot talking to a pair of kettles in the kitchen...

Racist talking to some pots and kettles...

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:12 PM
Sorry, I think Trading for Weisman and combo of future picks. Maybe with a 3rd team, would all be gravy. I would love to send send LMA to Golden State, Clippers, and DDR to some dogshit franchisse like Atlanta or Suckramento. I say keep Dejuante and WHITE on the table if that is what it takes to get the trades done and picks. The Idea that the Eye Testers have made White an "untouchable"(Some even calling hime ELITE) is just laughable. Same people who say this are the same people saying you or I have said Keldon "is the next Jordan...ect". We've only said he is unique and the best young one on the team. Eyetesters are gonna eyetest. If We had Sam Presti instead of Urkle you KNOW this shit would happen.

If Wiseman was available, sure I would be open to including other players to get it done. But their GM basically put to rest that they would ever trade Wiseman in a recent interview.

Leetonidas
11-21-2020, 12:14 PM
There's no one to trade for. You don't trade for the sake of trading.

There's 450 players in the nba. I guarantee you there are people to trade for. And yeah you don't make trades just to make them you make them because you have a 26 mil expiring aging C and you just signed his backup to starter money and resigned his backup

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:16 PM
There's 450 players in the nba. I guarantee you there are people to trade for. And yeah you don't make trades just to make them you make them because you have a 26 mil expiring aging C and you just signed his backup to starter money

I want to hear these ideas though. Like which specific players?

Again, people are upset at the contract because he won't be starting because of Aldridge. So the logic is that Aldridge should be the one being traded. Next, let's narrow down what type of player he should be traded for: a starting power forward. It doesn't make sense to trade him for any guards or wings with the roster make-up we have. Now, I want to hear which starting power forwards we should trade for.

Leetonidas
11-21-2020, 12:18 PM

Again, people are upset at the contract because he won't be starting because of Aldridge. So the logic is that Aldridge should be the one being traded. Next, let's narrow down what type of player he should be traded for: a starting power forward. It doesn't make sense to trade him for any guards or wings with the roster make-up we have. Now, I want to hear which starting power forwards we should trade for.

Quit making excuses for our retarded front office. It's not my job to do Brian Wrights job and find players to trade for. And who says it has to be a PF? In case you haven't noticed the league is trending away from bigs. Spurs have Jak and Eubanks at C and Lyles/Gay/Luka all at the 4. They need wings not more bigs.

JuneJive
11-21-2020, 12:19 PM
The proponents of maintaing as much cap space as possible don't seem to explain themselves regarding what they are expecting to be done with it.

Attract a top guy in FA?
Be a dumping ground for bad contracts as to get draft capital?

What?

I'm tired of hearing this bitching for bitching's sake.

PATFO has no direction? They are letting their young players develop in a try-to-be-winning environment.

What should they be doing? If they axe all of the vets they won't be that much worse, so there goes the tank aspect.
And obviously they can't contend with LMA / DMDR so even the eventual signing wouldn't change things much.

They are flexibile enough to accomodate any eventual FA, or a disgruntled player via trade.

What's more to do?

My point is, there is too much whining and not enough constructive ideas.

Kurik
11-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Seeing more of the contracts getting signed today, I don’t see how people can be upset by the amount he got. Other backup players with less history are getting even more. I know what direction the Spurs are tying to go in is confusing but we got off easy.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:25 PM
Quit making excuses for our retarded front office. It's not my job to do Brian Wrights job and find players to trade for. And who says it has to be a PF? In case you haven't noticed the league is trending away from bigs. Spurs have Jak and Eubanks at C and Lyles/Gay/Luka all at the 4. They need wings not more bigs.

I'm not making excuses, I'm being realistic. I'm calling out all the exhausting effort made by people crying for a trade. Where we stand right now, there aren't many options to be done. Before some moves happened, sure. But right now? No. Maybe closer to the deadline like what TheDrewShow said? Sure.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:26 PM
Wait till he gets mauled bye Joker, Lebron and the Unibrow. They'll be singing a different tune. No WAY this kid is good enough at 19 to handle those 3. Yeah, billion dollar stadium, Covid, Falling Revenues, aging Stars. GSW is in WIN NOW MODE not Wait for later. There is a LONG SHOT this Teen after just 69 (THAT IS SIXTY NINE) college minutes is at Tim Duncan or David Robinson rookie Level, but thats a LOOOOOOOOOONNG SHOT.

Since when do you believe propaganda ?

I don't disagree with that. I hope they do change their minds.

Joseph Kony
11-21-2020, 12:26 PM

So you think it would be better to play the season out and let LMA leave for nothing?

I get wanting to get a starting PF to replace him, but Spurs are not a good team and realistically are not aiming for the playoffs next year, so trading LMA to try and get pieces that fit is dumb. they should trade him for whatever they can get and start collecting assets to make other deals. you know, how teams with decent FOs do?

I still cant believe they traded Leonard for peanuts while Jrue Holiday and Paul George got massive hauls in comparison. Our FO just sucks, plain and simple

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 12:27 PM
:tu Interesting discussions.

One thing I always bring up in debates about Duncan's successes and the general success of the Spurs in the 2000s is that this team was routinely outspent by others. During the Shaq/Kobe era and then later during the Kobe/Pau era, the Lakers outspent the Spurs by many millions of dollars. The Miami Heat teams that the Spurs faced in back to back finals had significantly higher payrolls than the Spurs at the time. For an owner like Ballmer, the financial penalty of going over the cap means almost nothing. Minority owners of the Warriors are vastly wealthier than Holt family. It's just a different world that the Spurs inhabit financially.

Joseph Kony
11-21-2020, 12:30 PM

One thing I always bring up in debates about Duncan's successes and the general success of the Spurs in the 2000s is that this team was routinely outspent by others. During the Shaq/Kobe era and then later during the Kobe/Pau era, the Lakers outspent the Spurs by many millions of dollars. The Miami Heat teams that the Spurs faced in back to back finals had significantly higher payrolls than the Spurs at the time. For an owner like Ballmer, the financial penalty of going over the cap means almost nothing. Minority owners of the Warriors are vastly wealthier than Holt family. It's just a different world that the Spurs inhabit financially.

what? :lol the spurs are right at the luxury tax line with an incredibly poorly constructed roster. they spent money, just not very well at all. that Pau Gasol deal still makes me want to puke

SpurSpike
11-21-2020, 12:31 PM
Wait till he gets mauled bye Joker, Lebron and the Unibrow. They'll be singing a different tune. No WAY this kid is good enough at 19 to handle those 3. Yeah, billion dollar stadium, Covid, Falling Revenues, aging Stars. GSW is in WIN NOW MODE not Wait for later. There is a LONG SHOT this Teen after just 69 (THAT IS SIXTY NINE) college minutes is at Tim Duncan or David Robinson rookie Level, but thats a LOOOOOOOOOONNG SHOT.

Since when do you believe propaganda ?

You saw that klay is out for the season right? Golden state is no longer in win now mode without him on the court...

pad300
11-21-2020, 12:32 PM
Racist talking to some pots and kettles...

Ah, the random accusation of racism...

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 12:33 PM
what? :lol the spurs are right at the luxury tax line with an incredibly poorly constructed roster. they spent money, just not very well at all. that Pau Gasol deal still makes me want to puke

Right, but it seems obvious from their moves that not going above that line was very important to them. Naturally, that's going to limit decision making and chance taking. For Ballmer, a $30 million tax penalty is probably equal to about his daily fluctuation on investments. For the Holt group, that's a significant amount of money.

DPG21920
11-21-2020, 12:34 PM

Nah. Guys like me and Timvp were crystal clear what the answer was. Don’t sign Poeltl

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:35 PM
Ah, the random accusation of racism...

Nah. When it's easy to find evidence, it's not random.

Joseph Kony
11-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Right, but it seems obvious from their moves that not going above that line was very important to them. Naturally, that's going to limit decision making and chance taking. For Ballmer, a $30 million tax penalty is probably equal to about his daily fluctuation on investments. For the Holt group, that's a significant amount of money.

the spurs pay roll was only 10 million less than LAC last year :lol

exstatic
11-21-2020, 12:41 PM
Carroll taking the last roster spot and not playing again

He’s not taking a roster spot. He was waived, and actually played a few games for Houston afterwards.

Dejounte
11-21-2020, 12:43 PM

It's a valid point. Fans here chose a small market team to root for. The issue is systemic and it's not like the organization's owners chose to be poorer than everyone else is. For a small market team that has performed the way it has done these past decades.... You can say that's impressive and unappreciated by most.

People can easily go root for a big market team like New York if they wanted to see a team be aggressive and pay players enormous amounts of money. But bottom-line is, they picked (and are actively picking) a small market team.

Joseph Kony
11-21-2020, 12:48 PM
It's a valid point. Fans here chose a small market team to root for. The issue is systemic and it's not like the organization's owners chose to be poorer than everyone else is. For a small market team that has performed the way it has done these past decades.... You can say that's impressive and unappreciated by most.

People can easily go root for a big market team like New York if they wanted to see a team be aggressive and pay players enormous amounts of money. But bottom-line is, they picked (and are actively picking) a small market team.

a lot of us who live/lived in SA grew up watching the Spurs didnt "choose" our fandom, its just how it is. you cant just turn your fandom off and watch another team instead, thats not how it works. at least not for most people i would imagine