PDA

View Full Version : Cha is waiving Batum

exstatic
11-21-2020, 03:54 PM
They’re doing it to create cap room for the Hayward signing.

Dex
11-21-2020, 03:57 PM
Good for them. This news would have been relevant 10 years ago.

We don't need a washed up SF who is probably still going to demand the MLE even though he is coming off a huge payday.

DesignatedT
11-21-2020, 03:57 PM
Before everyone comes in with the Batum is washed comment.. we already know.

Spurs might be interested but they aren’t gonna go over the cap for Batum right? Would require a mills or gay dump somewhere and I believe Atlanta and New York are the only teams left with cap space.

Nivek_ogre
11-21-2020, 03:58 PM
Hell no to him being on the Spurs. He's done. Don't need another guy way past his prime talking minutes away from guys who need playing time.

slick'81
11-21-2020, 03:58 PM
Does he get the spurs into the playoffs?

MI21
11-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Who cares?

exstatic
11-21-2020, 04:08 PM
Who cares?

You took the time to open the thread, and type a response. I’d say that either positively or negatively, you care.

R. DeMurre
11-21-2020, 04:24 PM
Such an odd career... there were multiple years where he was roughly a 15/6/6 guy who shot the three, played D, and could be a point forward. He seemed like a perfect player for all around versatility, but then he suddenly began to drop off and get passive when he should've been peaking. Never understood it. Is part of it dealing with mediocre teams in Charlotte for too long?

MoSpur02
11-21-2020, 04:26 PM
I fear Batum is the type of free agent the Spurs would go after.

MoSpur02
11-21-2020, 04:27 PM
To me Batum is a younger Rudy Gay. That’s not a compliment.

EasyMoney
11-21-2020, 04:32 PM
Such an odd career... there were multiple years where he was roughly a 15/6/6 guy who shot the three, played D, and could be a point forward. He seemed like a perfect player for all around versatility, but then he suddenly began to drop off and get passive when he should've been peaking. Never understood it. Is part of it dealing with mediocre teams in Charlotte for too long?

He got paid.

And of course, injuries. Kind of like with chandler parsons. They look like they just stopped caring

TimDunkem
11-21-2020, 04:35 PM
:lmao

slick'81
11-21-2020, 04:47 PM
A 32 y/0 enetering his 13th season....def a spur guy:tu

pad300
11-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Somebody will try him as a reclamation project for the vet min. Maybe even us... I don't think we'd go over the lux line for him, so I doubt it (unless the details we've heard on contracts are off enough to let us sneak in a vet min for the 15th roster spot).

BWS-1994
11-21-2020, 05:03 PM

Maybe he can have a post CHA resurgence ala Diaw? :lol

exstatic
11-21-2020, 05:07 PM
I thought he was on a partial,, but Charlotte thought so much of him, that they stretched his whole freaking salary, $27M, out over 5 years.

BWS-1994
11-21-2020, 05:09 PM
I thought he was on a partial,, but Charlotte thought so much of him, that they stretched his whole freaking salary, $27M, out over 5 years.

Should he get signed, the amount will be subtracted from his stretched $27M?

exstatic
11-21-2020, 05:10 PM
Maybe he can have a post CHA resurgence ala Diaw? :lol

Don’t laugh. His scoring was down to 3.6 points, but he still grabbed 4.5 rebounds and dished 3.0 assists. Sound like the exact same allergy to shooting. Rudy Gay? I think not.

Dex
11-21-2020, 05:10 PM
Wow how the worm has turned. For 3 or 5 year Batum was Spurstalk eyetesters wet dream of an acquisition....

Life and "Over a Cliff" comes at you hard and fast.....

Those 3 or 5 years were like...10 years ago.

Times change.

exstatic
11-21-2020, 05:11 PM
Should he get signed, the amount will be subtracted from his stretched $27M?

Yes. Not sure if it’s just the year one salary, or the whole thing.

FutureMan
11-21-2020, 06:58 PM
Batum can be our 15th roster spot. Rather him than Forbes or Bellinelli haha

exstatic
11-21-2020, 07:04 PM
Batum can be our 15th roster spot. Rather him than Forbes or Bellinelli haha

Well, the thing is, we’re so close to the tax that Nic would put us over, even on a vet min deal.

However, if we were to stretch Rudy, that would total about $3M under the tax...

Rocalcio
11-21-2020, 07:15 PM
Bring the French guy !

Rocalcio
11-21-2020, 07:17 PM
Hell no to him being on the Spurs. He's done. Don't need another guy way past his prime talking minutes away from guys who need playing time.

We don’t have much at this position, and he’s only 31, he can still be good if in the right team.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-21-2020, 07:36 PM
Well, the thing is, we’re so close to the tax that Nic would put us over, even on a vet min deal.

However, if we were to stretch Rudy, that would total about $3M under the tax...

Pretty sure if someone signs Carroll’s corpse it’d free up enough space for a min contract.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-21-2020, 07:37 PM
Double post.

The_Worlds_finest
11-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Move fast and break things. Us loyal spurs fans are in for a treat this year you guys!

exstatic
11-21-2020, 09:13 PM
Pretty sure if someone signs Carroll’s corpse it’d free up enough space for a min contract.

No one is going to do that. Even Houston, thinking they found a cast off gem, only played him in 9 games.

Atl Spur
11-21-2020, 10:09 PM
For a reasonable price and he’s healthy.......I’d do it for depth.

R. DeMurre
11-22-2020, 12:09 PM
It is kind of eerie how Batum's story echoes Diaw's so closely-- young versatile French player goes to Charlotte, has a pretty good first year or two, and then seems to slip into an all encompassing malaise. Maybe French guys just have a hard time living in North Carolina.

mo7888
11-22-2020, 12:12 PM
No one is going to do that. Even Houston, thinking they found a cast off gem, only played him in 9 games.

Someone might..teams do things that surprise us all the time...who would have thought that GS would pay the taxes that they're going to pay to bring on Oubre....

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 12:17 PM
He could be a good mentor to Vassell. We just don't have any roster space.

baseline bum
11-22-2020, 12:17 PM
We don’t have much at this position, and he’s only 31, he can still be good if in the right team.

Yeah a team in China maybe

Drom John
11-22-2020, 12:36 PM
FiveThirtyEight Raptor WAR 2029-2020.

1.9 Dejounte Murray
1.2 WAR Nicolas Batum tied at #207 (#7 player) with Avery Bradley, Troy Brown Jr., David Nwaba, Jabari Parker, Mike Scott, Andrew Wiggins. Frank Kaminsky had the 207th highest salary at $4,767,000.
0.8 Keldon Johnson

paperboy77
11-22-2020, 02:45 PM
Batum is such a boring topic. Had a promise career then fell into mediocrity. Really hope the Spurs have zero interest.

ceperez
11-22-2020, 04:32 PM

He's French, so he could have the same mentality as Diaw. Who knows?

Chucho
11-24-2020, 02:58 PM
French fans coming out the woodworks for this guy. :lol

It's funny because it's one of your many alts saying this.

Rocalcio
11-24-2020, 03:46 PM
Looks like many contenders are interested in him.

Rocalcio
11-24-2020, 03:47 PM
French fans coming out the woodworks for this guy. :lol

Without our French guys San Antonio wouldn’t have that many titles...

RD2191
11-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Without our French guys San Antonio wouldn’t have that many titles...
:wakeup

ginobilized
11-24-2020, 03:55 PM
With TD, Ginobili and Parker he's a no-brainer.

With DDR, LMA and the coffee gang, no way.

Rocalcio
11-24-2020, 03:55 PM
:wakeup

I’m glad you agree. ;)

8FOR!3
11-24-2020, 05:29 PM
Would rather Devin Vassell get all of his minutes but if the right contender gets him and if he's motivated, the guy isn't untalented.

FutureMan
11-25-2020, 12:39 PM
Starting to wonder if a three team trade is going to involve the Spurs. Something like:

CHA: Hayward
BOS: DeRozan
SAS: Batum, Washington, & 2022 BOS 2nd

Atl Spur
11-25-2020, 12:49 PM
Starting to wonder if a three team trade is going to involve the Spurs. Something like:

I could see Lamarcus part of a deal like that & DeRozan part of a Detroit deal ( they have all those centers)

szkorhetz
11-25-2020, 01:32 PM
I could see Lamarcus part of a deal like that & DeRozan part of a Detroit deal ( they have all those centers)
OMG.

DDR must have a higher value than that.

talkspurs
11-25-2020, 02:57 PM

I would think we should atleast be able to get a 1st out of it maybe even 2. other then that I like the trade as the incoming salary expires at the end of the year.

FutureMan
11-25-2020, 03:07 PM
I would think we should atleast be able to get a 1st out of it maybe even 2. other then that I like the trade as the incoming salary expires at the end of the year.

The incentive is definitely PJ Washington. He would fit very well with the youth movement.

talkspurs
11-25-2020, 03:20 PM
The incentive is definitely PJ Washington. He would fit very well with the youth movement.

I would like that but I bet Charlotte does not do that. They have pretty much all the power here as they dont mind waving Batum. We would almost have to take him back as that is the only reason they do it. I thought batum was already waived and haywood had already signed though.

DPG21920
11-25-2020, 04:10 PM
BOS gets: LMA + Lyles
CHA gets: Hayward
SA gets: Batum + 1st

Seventyniner
11-25-2020, 04:17 PM

Presumably the 1st comes from BOS, because CHA has no reason to include one, BOS is getting an upgrade, and BOS has picks to spare?

FutureMan
11-25-2020, 04:18 PM
What’s really unfortunate is who the Celtics drafted this year. I’d image they would be willing to trade their 26th pick to get either Aldridge or DeRozan. Sadly, they drafted Pritchard who wouldn’t be useful to the Spurs since we have so many guards. If they had drafted McDaniels or Azubuike then it would make total sense.

DPG21920
11-25-2020, 04:22 PM
Presumably the 1st comes from BOS, because CHA has no reason to include one, BOS is getting an upgrade, and BOS has picks to spare?

I think CHA not having to stretch Batum is enough reason to cough up a pick but yeah; BOS getting lma justified that as well.

TD 21
11-25-2020, 04:22 PM
As talkspurs alluded to, there's not a chance in hell the Hornets would trade their current second best building block for something they can accomplish without throwing away any asset.

The Celtics replaced Kanter with Thompson, who joins Theis, R. Williams and Fall (two-way) at C. They actually have more of a need at PF, where Brown will mostly have to continue to masquerade defensively, along with G. Williams and Ojeleye.

Pairing Aldridge with Thompson would mean the latter would have to defend PF's full time, which is a stretch at this point.

They traded Bradley to the 76ers and waived and stretched Dedmon, leaving them with Plumlee, Okafor, Stewart.

Mugen
11-25-2020, 04:52 PM
:lol I hope PATFO are all over this but they've probably got the beeper off

R. DeMurre
11-25-2020, 05:36 PM
Why would Charlotte trade Washington, their best young player who allows happens to be on a team friendly rookie contract?

cd021
11-25-2020, 08:12 PM

I assume its Boston's 2021 first, either way, its a good deal.

-Spurs clear out frontcourt minutes; allowing them to start Poeltl and play Eubanks. Start DeRozan at the four and start Walker at the three and opens up minutes for Vassell and possibly Luka. Also gives them more breathing room under the tax. Spurs also get an extra 2021 first that could allow them to move up further into the lottery of a better draft.

-Charlotte gets their guy while not having to stretch and waive Batum.

-Boston gets an front court up grade while still staying under the tax.

cd021
11-25-2020, 08:12 PM
Why would Charlotte trade Washington, their best young player who allows happens to be on a team friendly rookie contract?

They wouldn't.

talkspurs
11-25-2020, 08:15 PM
DOnt know IF Boston would like as much we could also send them DDR in the trade. This would free up our wing space. I think they would rather have LMA but DDR would not be bad for them.

FutureMan
11-25-2020, 08:17 PM

Charlotte or Boston are going to have to give up something to pass off Batum’s 27 million dollar contract. I guess they can waive him instead and pay more that PJ Washington’s entire contract?

It also looks like people here are overrating Washington’s value. He’s already injury prone and, unless something changes, is a good role player at best.

cd021
11-25-2020, 09:03 PM
Charlotte or Boston are going to have to give up something to pass off Batum’s 27 million dollar contract. I guess they can waive him instead and pay more that PJ Washington’s entire contract?

It also looks like people here are overrating Washington’s value. He’s already injury prone and, unless something changes, is a good role player at best.

Washington is actually good. Charlotte wants to get off paying Batum but they don't absolutely have to do so. So there's really no incentive for them to give up an asset. They could make Boston give up the asset to the third team, instead.

It seems the rule of thumb is for every $20 million in bad salary that a team takes on, it costs a first rounder. Technically, A first and a second would be the going rate for taking on Batum but he's an expiring so its not like he has Wiggins money remaining.

CGD
11-25-2020, 11:01 PM

This would be ideal. Im not sure BOS is too hot on taking Rozier back just to say they did a sign and trade, so a reroute of Batum to a third team could work instead if BOS feels they can get a productive player back.

Dex
11-25-2020, 11:44 PM
You guys are spending way too much time debating deals that will never happen.

Seventyniner
11-26-2020, 12:38 AM

Welcome to SpursTalk! I can tell that you're new here...

Excessive Egotist
11-26-2020, 12:45 AM

Ainge is participating in the S&T to acquire a TPE. Therefore your proposed trade would more likely take this shape:

CHA: Hayward, Aldridge
SA: Batum and lottery protected Charlotte pick
BOS: Zellers and TPE

FutureMan
11-26-2020, 12:54 AM
Washington is actually good. Charlotte wants to get off paying Batum but they don't absolutely have to do so. So there's really no incentive for them to give up an asset. They could make Boston give up the asset to the third team, instead.

It seems the rule of thumb is for every $20 million in bad salary that a team takes on, it costs a first rounder. Technically, A first and a second would be the going rate for taking on Batum but he's an expiring so its not like he has Wiggins money remaining.

I agree he’s good. Like a said I personally believe his ceiling with Charlotte is a good role player. But his ceiling is so much higher with a better organization. If either team wants to give a lightly protected first and a second instead, that’s fine too.

BWS-1994
11-26-2020, 01:06 AM
Ainge is participating in the S&T to acquire a TPE. Therefore your proposed trade would more likely take this shape:

I wonder if Ainge’s decision will change if he sees that Aldridge gets involved? The TPE or Aldridge?

exstatic
11-26-2020, 01:11 AM
I wonder if Ainge’s decision will change if he sees that Aldridge gets involved? The TPE or Aldridge?

Boston, for all of their rapey trades, have under achieved. Have yet to even get to a finals, let alone ring. Not sure they can sway LMA from his desire to return to Portland to finish his career.

Excessive Egotist
11-26-2020, 01:11 AM

In this case, it's Zeller, a TPE, and Charlotte giving up a pick, not Boston. Added together that is more valuable than Aldridge.

ismael-robert
11-26-2020, 01:49 AM

Lets give up an all star for a wash up n pick that could be a bust guys. Spurs want an up n coming star at least

cd021
11-26-2020, 03:51 AM
In this case, it's Zeller, a TPE, and Charlotte giving up a pick, not Boston. Added together that is more valuable than Aldridge.

DPG21920 trade seems logical

SA gets: Batum + [Boston] 1st

-Spurs clear out frontcourt minutes, gives them more breathing room under the tax, and gives the Spurs an extra 2021 first that could allow them to move up further in the lottery of a better draft.

-Charlotte gets Hayward while not having to stretch and waive Batum.

-Boston gets an front court upgrade and depth while still staying under the tax. Boston would otherwise be using the TPE that they'd receive to try and get an upgrade, it can be argued that Aldridge is that upgrade at a position that they are relatively weak at.

Charlotte giving up a first or PJ Washington, as others have suggested, doesn't make sense. They don't have to do a sign and trade for Hayward, they could just waive and stretch Batum and sign Hayward without giving up an asset.

They'd prefer not to but that would require a third team. Boston wants the TPE, so they don't lose Hayward for nothing, so they'd likely be the team to give up an asset to try and compensate the third team.

cd021
11-26-2020, 03:56 AM
Lets give up an all star for a wash up n pick that could be a bust guys. Spurs want an up n coming star at least

Aldridge is a former all-star who turns 36 this upcoming season and is an expiring. He certainly shouldn't be valued as such. If the Spurs can get a 21 first for him, that's a no-brainer.

CGD
11-26-2020, 07:34 AM

BOS is not in the drivers seat. They have to sweeten pot for CHA or a third team of the TPE is that important to them.

DPG21920
11-26-2020, 08:47 AM

That doesn’t work. They could not sign Hayward then.

cjw
11-26-2020, 09:16 AM
BOS is not in the drivers seat. They have to sweeten pot for CHA or a third team of the TPE is that important to them.

Important for people to realize this. Charlotte can sign Hayward by just stretching Batum. Is that ideal for them? No. But it’s not unpalatable, especially if they don’t plan on trying to operate under the cap next summer.

For Boston, they risk losing Hayward for nothing. That includes no trade exception.

Spurs are in the driver’s seat if they want to move Aldridge here, as the trade would make things better for two teams. His contract and fit work perfectly for Boston. And the Spurs can eat Batum without taking on cap for next year (WAY better than taking on a Wiggins). And heck, if Batum gets resurrected to any degree, it’s a bonus.

I think the best trade looks something like this:

- Boston gets Aldridge and either Mills/Gay; immediately improve on last year’s team

- Charlotte gets Hayward without having to stretch Batum, and also gets Theis to make dollars work (unfortunately Boston doesn’t have a lot of mid-seven figure contracts)

- Spurs get Batum and a TPE (I think)

It weakens the Spurs significantly this year, so not sure they do it. Maybe they’d need to get Theis or another big in deal to replace Aldridge, or could use part of MLE on a big because no longer bumping into the tax.

Question is what is the appropriate compensation for the Spurs. A lottery-protected first doesn’t cut it. You need to start any conversation with an unprotected first. Maybe it’s Boston-Charlotte executing a pick swap, with Boston then sending that pick to the Spurs, so they effectively get the better if Boston and Charlotte’s pick. And I’d want a few seconds too.

Excessive Egotist
11-26-2020, 09:20 AM
That doesn’t work. They could not sign Hayward then.

I'm confident it does work. Charlotte is 20M under the cap, Batum makes 3.1M more than Aldridge, and Zeller is 15.4M outbound. Charlotte could comfortably fit both Aldridge and Hayward, if they so wanted.

This would generate a 12.5M TPE for Ainge. Sending Batum or Aldridge to Boston would not generate a TPE.

Spursfanfromafar
11-26-2020, 09:21 AM
Important for people to realize this. Charlotte can sign Hayward by just stretching Batum. Is that ideal for them? No. But it’s not unpalatable, especially if they don’t plan on trying to operate under the cap next summer.

For Boston, they risk losing Hayward for nothing. That includes no trade exception.

Spurs are in the driver’s seat if they want to move Aldridge here, as the trade would make things better for two teams. His contract and fit work perfectly for Boston. And the Spurs can eat Batum without taking on cap for next year (WAY better than taking on a Wiggins). And heck, if Batum gets resurrected to any degree, it’s a bonus.

I think the best trade looks something like this:

- Boston gets Aldridge and either Mills/Gay; immediately improve on last year’s team

- Charlotte gets Hayward without having to stretch Batum, and also gets Theis to make dollars work (unfortunately Boston doesn’t have a lot of mid-seven figure contracts)

- Spurs get Batum and a TPE (I think)

It weakens the Spurs significantly this year, so not sure they do it. Maybe they’d need to get Theis or another big in deal to replace Aldridge, or could use part of MLE on a big because no longer bumping into the tax.

Question is what is the appropriate compensation for the Spurs. A lottery-protected first doesn’t cut it. You need to start any conversation with an unprotected first.

I had a similar trade in mind. Yes, the Spurs weaken significantly this season and this might not be good compensation for Aldridge/ Gay who are still very productive. But if the idea is to get something for Gay/ Aldridge, this is possibly the way out - https://tradenba.com/trades/WmfPpshVb

lefty
11-26-2020, 09:23 AM
:lmao these threads

X player is available so we should get him :lol

cjw
11-26-2020, 09:25 AM
:lmao these threads

X player is available so we should get him :lol

That’s not what most people are saying. They’re saying that Batum sucks and is an impediment to Hayward signing with cap space, and Spurs actually work as a partner to facilitate a S&T, so see if they can extract assets.

lefty
11-26-2020, 09:35 AM
That’s not what most people are saying. They’re saying that Batum sucks and is an impediment to Hayward signing with cap space, and Spurs actually work as a partner to facilitate a S&T, so see if they can extract assets.
Let's get assets then

What are we waiting for

Dex
11-26-2020, 09:57 AM

People are so focused on just moving DeRozan or Aldridge that they seem to willing to ignore their actual value.

I understand that the Spurs get nothing if they just ride out their contract and walk, but it's definitely possible to lose a trade by taking back dead weight and bad contracts.

ismael-robert
11-26-2020, 01:15 PM
Exactly. Aldridge not getting to allstar game is irrelevant cause his production hasn't dropped. His first game back from injury, n Spurs last game before covid break, he dominated Dallas n led spurs to win...think he put up 30. During this break it looks like he's working hard n slimmed ala tim duncan in his twilight

Bojo
11-26-2020, 02:22 PM
Last time everyone thought Aldridge was the problem he came back and carried a team to the playoffs that had no business of getting there. I rather ride him than do a trade just for the sake of it...

cd021
11-26-2020, 05:00 PM
Exactly. Aldridge not getting to allstar game is irrelevant cause his production hasn't dropped. His first game back from injury, n Spurs last game before covid break, he dominated Dallas n led spurs to win...think he put up 30. During this break it looks like he's working hard n slimmed ala tim duncan in his twilight

He isn't an all-star, he's a former all-star who has declined-- though much less than one might expect from a player entering his age 36 season.

He still has value but the Spurs need to move him sooner than later rather than just let him walk. Trading him in a three-team deal for an asset is better than nothing and also frees up playing time for younger players such as Poeltl, Eubanks.

cjw
11-26-2020, 05:06 PM
Even if the Spurs play things out with Aldridge and DeRozan and they end up walking, they can still grab assets in the offseason via S&T if they otherwise don’t get what they want in FA. Many teams will need signings to be facilitated as they’ll be over the cap.

I’m in the camp of trying to cash in now, and facilitating the Hayward deal makes a lot of sense to insert the Spurs into. But if they don’t, it’s not the end of the world. It’s the end of the world if you’re a team completely devoid of assets and picks.

cd021
11-26-2020, 05:37 PM
Last time everyone thought Aldridge was the problem he came back and carried a team to the playoffs that had no business of getting there. I rather ride him than do a trade just for the sake of it...

He doesn't make sense with where this team is ultimately heading. He's an upcoming free agent and seems set on returning to Portland to finish out his career. Trading him makes sense because it not only frees up playing time for younger players with more of a future, but should give the Spurs a potential draft asset.

cd021
11-26-2020, 05:45 PM
Even if the Spurs play things out with Aldridge and DeRozan and they end up walking, they can still grab assets in the offseason via S&T if they otherwise don’t get what they want in FA. Many teams will need signings to be facilitated as they’ll be over the cap.

I’m in the camp of trying to cash in now, and facilitating the Hayward deal makes a lot of sense to insert the Spurs into. But if they don’t, it’s not the end of the world. It’s the end of the world if you’re a team completely devoid of assets and picks.

There's a lot more money available in the 2021 FA class so I don't know how whether S&T's are a viable option. Unless one or both wants to join capped out contenders like LAC or LAL. Playing things out also has a potentially negative of worsening the Spurs draft pick, which is especially bad considering this upcoming draft class. Also they're limiting playing time for young prospects.

Spurs definitely should be open to moving the vets, if not now then before the deadline.

ismael-robert
11-26-2020, 06:22 PM
Yes but only for someone who can also provide 20pts/game

exstatic
11-26-2020, 06:26 PM
Yes but only for someone who can also provide 20pts/game

Why? You want someone else besides LMA/DDR taking shots away from our youngsters? If you can get a playable ending contract, and any first round pick, even a late one,you do it.

CGD
11-28-2020, 02:58 PM
Did they end up doing the ST or did Hayward just sign straight up? How much is CHA needing to shed by moving Batum?

That Charlotte 1st looks awful juicy. . .

exstatic
11-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Did they end up doing the ST or did Hayward just sign straight up? How much is CHA needing to shed by moving Batum?

That Charlotte 1st looks awful juicy. . .
I don’t think Charlotte cares. They’re being polite, and trying to work with the Celtics, but Boston is the one driving this. They want the trade exception, rather than having Hayward just walk, and they would be providing the pick or picks. Not so juicy.

CGD
11-28-2020, 07:43 PM
Fair, but as I understand it they still have to stretch Batum (that’s like 9M for next three years). So while I think BOS is driving the discussion, CHA at least has a little skin in the game. Enough to cough up a 1st? Long shot I know.

The other option is to cut out BOS altogether. Swap Gay/LMA for Batum/Zeller/pick. CHA saves ~5M.

Edit: forgot about LMAs trade kicker. But, apparently swapping Mills and Rudy still work to achieve the desired savings for CHA

talkspurs
11-28-2020, 07:52 PM
Fair, but as I understand it they still have to stretch Batum (that’s like 9M for next three years). So while I think BOS is driving the discussion, CHA at least has a little skin in the game. Enough to cough up a 1st? Long shot I know.

The other option is to cut out BOS altogether. Swap Gay/LMA for Batum/Zeller/pick. CHA saves ~5M.

If we did where we got the better of ours or their pick they might agree to it but I still think they might say no. They are fine waiving batum so that is why they have so much power.

exstatic
11-28-2020, 10:06 PM

Edit: forgot about LMAs trade kicker. But, apparently swapping Mills and Rudy still work to achieve the desired savings for CHA

That defeats Charlotte’s purpose, which is to acquire Hayward.

What Charlotte and mostly Boston want is for someone to eat Batum’s contract whole into cap room, then Charlotte has the cap room to eat Hayward’s contract whole, in a trade, then Boston winds up with a HUGE TE instead of nothing. We really have no way to get into that, this year.

Fusternino
11-29-2020, 01:04 AM
There's nothing preventing us from flat out using the taxpayer MLE to get Batum if he gets waived flat out, right?

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-29-2020, 02:18 AM
There's nothing preventing us from flat out using the taxpayer MLE to get Batum if he gets waived flat out, right?

There is. Spurs have close to the full MLE after using some of it on Jones but they're so close to the tax line they might not even be able to fit a vet min deal in. And we all know there's no way they're going to pay the tax this year.

Also Batum is washed up and he'd only take minutes from the young players. I wouldn't want him even on a min contract.

Fusternino
11-29-2020, 04:35 AM
There is. Spurs have close to the full MLE after using some of it on Jones but they're so close to the tax line they might not even be able to fit a vet min deal in. And we all know there's no way they're going to pay the tax this year.

Also Batum is washed up and he'd only take minutes from the young players. I wouldn't want him even on a min contract.

Ok but this team still has a massive gap with no pure 3 and no combo forward.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-29-2020, 04:57 AM
Ok but this team still has a massive gap with no pure 3 and no combo forward.

Perhaps in quality, but not in quantity - DDR, Johnson and even Walker are getting all minutes at the 3. Gay, Lyles and small ball take care of the 4.Hopefully Samanic is ready for a role too. In any case Batum in his current shape doesn't solve this problem.

tbdog
11-29-2020, 08:25 AM
I liked Batum 5 years ago. The team doesn't need him. An upgrade to the 4 we do need. But I like our team. DD is our worse defender and he isn't a cone. We gonna be fun to watch, win or lose.

exstatic
11-29-2020, 09:12 AM

I’d take him, for the minimum, but not more, because I remember how bad Boris’s numbers were towards the end of his time in CHA. At least Batum isn’t a whale. He’d probably be more of an asset than Rudy this year, because with his very French reluctance to shoot, he wouldn’t be taking shots from our developing guards and wings, but he does a lot of other things, like distribute, defend, and rebound. In his entire career, his DBPM has only been negative once, two seasons ago, and that was -0.1.

MoSpur02
11-29-2020, 02:14 PM
He’s been officially waived by Charlotte according to Shams.

Excessive Egotist
11-29-2020, 02:24 PM
Watch OKC sign him to an affordable two year deal, start him, rehab his value, and flip him for an asset at deadline. They'll try to do the same thing for George Hill and Al Horford.

ace3g
11-29-2020, 02:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1197929409044504576/nKXnm0aN_normal.jpg
Shams Charania ShamsCharania
(https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania) 1m (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1333134193308676097)
Nicolas Batum plans to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers after he clears waivers, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA (https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/) @Stadium (https://twitter.com/Stadium/).

lefty
11-29-2020, 02:51 PM
Good
Can we close this thread now

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-29-2020, 03:06 PM
Good. So Ainge gets nothing for Kyrie last summer and Hayward this year :lol

R. DeMurre
11-29-2020, 03:30 PM
No risk signing for Clippers. If he follows the Diaw route, he could be a pretty good 5th guy in a Schroder, Kawhi, PG, Ibaka line up.

JuneJive
11-29-2020, 05:34 PM
No risk signing for Clippers. If he follows the Diaw route, he could be a pretty good 5th guy in a Schroder, Kawhi, PG, Ibaka line up.

Schroder is with the Lakers.

R. DeMurre
11-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Schroder is with the Lakers.

:lol Oh, shit! Totally misremembered that.

Sugus
11-29-2020, 07:35 PM
So, with Boston getting a $28.5M trade exception out of the Hayward deal... Could they be the perfect trade partner for the Spurs at the deadline? They probably aren't too interested in keeping their picks, with so many new young players on the roster, and would love to acquire a strong vet that's also a good lockerroom presence, like both DD and LMA. I could see them wanting both - LaMarcus, to fill their obvious production void at the 5, and DD as a 6th man, bench floor general type of player (whether he agrees to that role would remain to be seen, though).

Here's to hoping they don't get any other better deals/offers...

gambit1990
11-29-2020, 07:40 PM
good pickup for the clips. he will be more comfortable.

CGD
11-29-2020, 07:57 PM
So, with Boston getting a $28.5M trade exception out of the Hayward deal... Could they be the perfect trade partner for the Spurs at the deadline? They probably aren't too interested in keeping their picks, with so many new young players on the roster, and would love to acquire a strong vet that's also a good lockerroom presence, like both DD and LMA. I could see them wanting both - LaMarcus, to fill their obvious production void at the 5, and DD as a 6th man, bench floor general type of player (whether he agrees to that role would remain to be seen, though).

Ship just sailed. BOS got nothing.

CGD
11-29-2020, 08:11 PM
Good. So Ainge gets nothing for Kyrie last summer and Hayward this year :lol

Yeah man. They still hit on Brown and Tatum, but aside from maybe Rozier who was decent for while and later flipped for Kemba (who they’re now trying to trade) seems like a lukewarm return on that mighty draft picks war chest they once had

Sugus
11-29-2020, 09:08 PM
Ship just sailed. BOS got nothing.

Uh, no they didn't...

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1333147827216715783?s=20

TimDunkem
11-29-2020, 09:27 PM
Good. People still think this is 2010 or something.

R. DeMurre
11-30-2020, 01:17 AM
Ainge really misread the Kyrie and Hayward situations...

CGD
11-30-2020, 06:39 AM
Uh, no they didn't...

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1333147827216715783?s=20

Yup: I misread the early reporting

cd021
11-30-2020, 06:34 PM

I could see something thing like Grant Williams for Rudy Gay ( They don't really have any seconds of value and trading a first for Rudy seems like an overpay).

That, or, Aldridge for Theis and a 2021 first rounder.

TD 21
11-30-2020, 07:13 PM
I could see something thing like Grant Williams for Rudy Gay ( They don't really have any seconds of value and trading a first for Rudy seems like an overpay).

That, or, Aldridge for Theis and a 2021 first rounder.

I could see them being interested in Gay, who'd fill a bigger positional need than Aldridge would.

Can't see them trading Williams though, who they're high on.

The offer would probably be more like Ojeleye and a 2nd.

cd021
11-30-2020, 07:37 PM
I could see them being interested in Gay, who'd fill a bigger positional need than Aldridge would.

Can't see them trading Williams though, who they're high on.

The offer would probably be more like Ojeleye and a 2nd.

That's a bad return for Gay, even on an expiring. They don't own any good second rounders unless they go far out on the seconds, like 2026 and or 2027.

One would hope that Boston would be willing to trade a first given they have a bunch of previous firsts that they've yet to fully integrate into their rotation (Williams, Langford, Pritchard, Nesmith).

Maybe Gay for a top 20 protected 2021 pick that converts into 2 seconds, if it doesn't convey--which it almost certainly would.

Knowing the Spurs, however, they'd take a bad deal just to do right by Gay.

TD 21
12-01-2020, 12:07 AM
That's a bad return for Gay, even on an expiring. They don't own any good second rounders unless they go far out on the seconds, like 2026 and or 2027.

One would hope that Boston would be willing to trade a first given they have a bunch of previous firsts that they've yet to fully integrate into their rotation (Williams, Langford, Pritchard, Nesmith).

Maybe Gay for a top 20 protected 2021 pick that converts into 2 seconds, if it doesn't convey--which it almost certainly would.

Knowing the Spurs, however, they'd take a bad deal just to do right by Gay.

Yeah, the Spurs would only consider it if they're virtually out of reach for the play in by the deadline (obviously unlikely) and just wanted to do right by Gay.

His true value is probably more like a projected early 2nd or multiple 2nds.

Williams was close to fully integrated into the Celtics rotation by the end of the season and at least one of Nesmith/Langford will be in it by default.

cd021
12-02-2020, 10:52 AM
Yeah, the Spurs would only consider it if they're virtually out of reach for the play in by the deadline (obviously unlikely) and just wanted to do right by Gay.

His true value is probably more like a projected early 2nd or multiple 2nds.

Williams was close to fully integrated into the Celtics rotation by the end of the season and at least one of Nesmith/Langford will be in it by default.

-Agreed. I see the Portland trade for Ariza as template-- 2 far out seconds, maybe the 2026 and 2027 2nds.

-I can't figure out whether their holding out for more for their vets or want to give Pop one last shot at it, but then again, their doesn't appear to be a G-league season and the Spurs are going to have to balance competing with giving players time to develop.

That being said, I think that if two far off seconds is the offer, then I think the Spurs would probably do that deal regardless of their play-in position. Some of that would be to wanting to do Gay a solid while also getting at least something for one of their vets, and also clearing out more playing time for other forwards on the team.

-Williams did start to get some minutes towards the end of the year and I think Nesmith could crack the rotation, given his shooting. If they get Gay, then he'd likely replace Williams in the rotation but Williams might be their backup forward of the future.

TD 21
12-02-2020, 12:23 PM
-Agreed. I see the Portland trade for Ariza as template-- 2 far out seconds, maybe the 2026 and 2027 2nds.

-I can't figure out whether their holding out for more for their vets or want to give Pop one last shot at it, but then again, their doesn't appear to be a G-league season and the Spurs are going to have to balance competing with giving players time to develop.

That being said, I think that if two far off seconds is the offer, then I think the Spurs would probably do that deal regardless of their play-in position. Some of that would be to wanting to do Gay a solid while also getting at least something for one of their vets, and also clearing out more playing time for other forwards on the team.

-Williams did start to get some minutes towards the end of the year and I think Nesmith could crack the rotation, given his shooting. If they get Gay, then he'd likely replace Williams in the rotation but Williams might be their backup forward of the future.

I think they just can't get enough for them to (in their minds) justify trading them and handing the keys to a group of young players without an obvious player(s) to hand it too. Obviously, they have to hope someone(s) emerges this season or that the team is bad/lucky enough lottery wise to end up with one.

I don't think they do Gay for two far off 2nds if they're "competitive". Unlike 2/3, there's not an abundance of rotational options at the 4.

cd021
12-03-2020, 07:05 AM
I think they just can't get enough for them to (in their minds) justify trading them and handing the keys to a group of young players without an obvious player(s) to hand it too. Obviously, they have to hope someone(s) emerges this season or that the team is bad/lucky enough lottery wise to end up with one.

I don't think they do Gay for two far off 2nds if they're "competitive". Unlike 2/3, there's not an abundance of rotational options at the 4.

Spurs aren't as deep as they are at PF as they are at guard but I think they're going to use DeRozan more at the four this season.

Were they to trade Gay, they could either start DDR at the four or continue with Lyles starting and give spot minutes to Luka or Diop-- assuming their not a trainwreck and close halves with DeMar at the 4.

I don't put it past them to let all four of the vets play out the year and then let them walk though, despite as non-sensical as that is.

TD 21
12-03-2020, 05:25 PM
Spurs aren't as deep as they are at PF as they are at guard but I think they're going to use DeRozan more at the four this season.

Were they to trade Gay, they could either start DDR at the four or continue with Lyles starting and give spot minutes to Luka or Diop-- assuming their not a trainwreck and close halves with DeMar at the 4.

I don't put it past them to let all four of the vets play out the year and then let them walk though, despite as non-sensical as that is.

I don't see DeRozan as a starting four being viable throughout the course of a season. Unless you're otherworldly offensively, you need to be able to physically guard your position as a starter otherwise you get Forbes redux.

Me neither, though Mills could be re-signed (depending on whether he wants to go to a contender or not), while Aldridge and/or DeRozan could be signed and traded.