PDA

View Full Version : Keita Bates Diop signs a two-way deal with the Spurs

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 10:38 PM
Too slow, MoSpur

Eaglenole2002
11-22-2020, 10:38 PM
Vincent Goodwill: Forward Keita Bates Diop agreed to a two-way deal with the San Antonio Spurs, per sources

BWS-1994
11-22-2020, 10:39 PM
So what deal for Tre Jones now?

TimDunkem
11-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Not bad...Okay, Spurs. :tu

BWS-1994
11-22-2020, 10:40 PM
Merge thread with Dejounte’s?

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 10:41 PM
7'3.25 wingspan whoa

TimDunkem
11-22-2020, 10:44 PM
Just the type of guy who can play both forward positions. I like it. :tu

Fusternino
11-22-2020, 10:45 PM
Underrated signing. I had him in some Kawhi trades.

EasyMoney
11-22-2020, 10:46 PM
So far this off season the spurs have let non defenders walk and signed only capable defenders. Guess they finally got the memo. I guess the cam reynolds signing is just solely a training camp invite. If he impresses enough then he's in

K...
11-22-2020, 10:48 PM

Some have said he'll get a mle portion for a 3yr deal.

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 10:49 PM
This guy has shaky handles. Reminds me of Danny Green. Will need a Danny Green-like work ethic to save his NBA career. I personally like Cam Reynolds better.

Degoat
I like it!!! I remember a couple of years back hoping the spurs would draft this guy

timvp
Wow. I'm impressed. Quality two-way. He looked pretty good the few times I watched him in the NBA.

timvp
11-22-2020, 10:54 PM
Few thoughts:

-KBD passes the eye-test as a long, lanky wing. Not too athletic, not a great shooter but moves smoothly and has skill.

-Granted, I didn't see him much, but I'm a little surprised he went with a two-way now instead of trying to get a minimum deal somewhere.

-Maybe the Drew Eubanks pipeline example paid off. Two-way to guaranteed $5 million has to be tempting to other potential two-ways.

-We'll have to see but my question when I watched him was whether he was quick enough to play SF. If so, his physical tools and talent were pretty impressive. But his footspeed is questionable; might be small 4.

Austin_Toros
11-22-2020, 10:57 PM
Interesting signing, I think he’s got some upside. He was taken one pick before we got Metu in the draft so I wonder if the Spurs always has their eyes on him.

ginobilized
11-22-2020, 10:57 PM
Defensive players, hell yeah!
Training camp will be lively and possibly bloody. Good for the rookies to jump into the fire this way.
I really love what the Spurs are doing this off-season. Perhaps they have finally started to believe the experts here on Spurs Talk?

timvp
11-22-2020, 10:59 PM

I always highly doubted Jones agreed to sign a two-way prior to the draft. This move all but assures Jones will sign a minimum deal. My guess would be the Spurs will offer him a three or four year minimum deal using the MLE but I expect him to turn that down and go with a one or two year minimum deal.

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 11:01 PM
Few thoughts:

-KBD passes the eye-test as a long, lanky wing. Not too athletic, not a great shooter but moves smoothly and has skill.

-Granted, I didn't see him much, but I'm a little surprised he went with a two-way now instead of trying to get a minimum deal somewhere.

-Maybe the Drew Eubanks pipeline example paid off. Two-way to guaranteed $5 million has to be tempting to other potential two-ways.

-We'll have to see but my question when I watched him was whether he was quick enough to play SF. If so, his physical tools and talent were pretty impressive. But his footspeed is questionable; might be small 4.

Agreed on all takes. I was wrong to compare him to Reynolds. This guy actually has a chance to stick since it's a two way deal and Reynolds is an Exhibit 10 deal.

I thought it was his handles that bothered me and reminded me of Danny Green, but it's actually his speed. He basically telegraphs his moves on drives and easily gets blocked.

Like I said, I hope he has a good work ethic to improve that shot.

If he succeeds under that Drew Eubanks pipeline path, then we will have a decent 4/3.

Diop will be a good practice body.

playblair
11-22-2020, 11:01 PM
This guy has shaky handles. Reminds me of Danny Green. Will need a Danny Green-like work ethic to save his NBA career. I personally like Cam Reynolds better.
shaky handles? green could never do half the ish diop can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAs-AUc7dw

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 11:03 PM
shaky handles? green could never do half the ish diop can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuAs-AUc7dw

You're right. See my post above.

timvp
11-22-2020, 11:04 PM
I personally like Cam Reynolds better.

That Exhibit 10 contract he signed will keep him under the Spurs control for a bit. If he impresses, the Spurs could easily sign him to a minimum deal around the middle of the season. They couldn't do that right now due to the lux tax.

rankingtear
11-22-2020, 11:05 PM
A big wing. Those are always valuable. Has good experience already can be useful in a pinch. Better than most two ways. Good signing.

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 11:09 PM
https://youtu.be/XJ7fx8QpDaM

Matched up against Rui Hachimura here.

PhantomDashCam
11-22-2020, 11:09 PM
Zhaire Smith expected to be waived. If he cleared waivers, hoping the Spurs may take a look but this is a solid signing. :tu

timvp
11-22-2020, 11:11 PM
He was taken one pick before we got Metu in the draft so I wonder if the Spurs always has their eyes on him.

Yeah, KBD was who I wanted at that pick. Kinda like how I was hoping for Woodard in the second round this year and he went one spot before the Spurs pick. :shootme

BWS-1994
11-22-2020, 11:12 PM
Zhaire Smith expected to be waived. If he cleared waivers, hoping the Spurs may take a look but this is a solid signing. :tu

Traded then waived. Has he fully recovered from his injuries?

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 11:13 PM
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=keita-bates-diop--rui-hachimura

Keita's stats aren't far off from Rui's and they're roughly the same age and size.

Keita shot way more 3's, while Rui posted up more.

KobesAchilles
11-22-2020, 11:14 PM
Yeah, KBD was who I wanted at that pick. Kinda like how I was hoping for Woodard in the second round this year and he went one spot before the Spurs pick. :shootme
I was gonna ask if that was the guy you were high on. Wasn’t he projected to be a lottery pick the year he drafted? Why did he fall?

GAustex
11-22-2020, 11:15 PM
Bout time
I been asking for 6’ 7” to 6’ 9” dudes who can run and jump and defend and make a decent percentage of open three pointers. Cam and this dude are right there. Now get rid of Patty.
Play defense. Use athletes. Run fast jump high. Look at all the athletes Spurs have now. Finally.

playblair
11-22-2020, 11:18 PM
why does this constantly happen? every time the spurs target a player they get drafted 1 pick before..........r the spurs incapable of hiding who they want to draft? is it leaked to the team ahead of the spurs?.......goes as far back to the batum/gobert days maybe further

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 11:24 PM
Murray/ Lonnie/ Tre
White/ Vassell/ Mills or Q (Mills for offense, Q for defense)
DeMar/ Keldon/ Keita Bates Diop
Lyles/ Gay/ Samanic
Aldridge/ Poetl/ Eubanks

Maybe Keita is insurance for if Samanic busts or is not ready for prime time.

FvckMavs
11-22-2020, 11:27 PM
What does this signing mean for Tre Jones’ contract?

PhantomDashCam
11-22-2020, 11:27 PM
Traded then waived. Has he fully recovered from his injuries?
Supposedly. Has had a terrible run with injuries and a freak peanut allergy almost killed him. Philly had no use for him with the bigger, better Thybulle and Detroit wanted to clear a roster jam At C/PF - they’re thought to have no reason to keep him.

timvp
11-22-2020, 11:29 PM
I was gonna ask if that was the guy you were high on. Wasn’t he projected to be a lottery pick the year he drafted? Why did he fall?

He supposedly had some poor workouts prior to the draft. Before that, yeah, he was regarded as safely going in the first round.

Truth is, he's undeniably slow and has a hitch in his jumper. You have to really buy his talent level if order to invest in him because he's a C athlete at best.

Chances are he'll never make it in the league but I like taking a look at him. He's 6-foot-8.5 with a 7-foot-3+ wingspan (officially measured in the combine), was productive in college and is fluid enough to hypothetically be a perimeter wing. He's Diaw-esque in that he has to be in the right system to take advantage of his skills so I can see why he'd be tempted by San Antonio. Give him some stability for a year or two and he might just be skilled enough to make it.

Biggems
11-22-2020, 11:31 PM
He resembles Horry in stature

timvp
11-22-2020, 11:33 PM
What does this signing mean for Tre Jones’ contract?

He'll still get a regular ol' minimum deal, as was expected. The only reason Q was signed as a two-way is that he agreed to sign a two-way before the draft. If Q wouldn't have agreed to sign as a two-way, the Spurs wouldn't have drafted him. Tre Jones, on the other hand, wouldn't have agreed to that. His stock was too high to do that. Someone like Jones would rather go undrafted and then hook up with the right team as a free agent (a la Fred VanVleet) than sign a two-way. Q would do a two-way because otherwise he's probably playing in Siberia.

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 11:35 PM
CHyV9SQBgVL

Buddies with Lonnie?

Dejounte
11-22-2020, 11:37 PM
CHHLB7rhtr7

CG_RUixhnwb

CGzt8P-BWUU

He's been working.

**BUSTA**
11-22-2020, 11:39 PM

I think almost everyone wanted KBD in that spot. I was shocked he didn't go in the first round. I guess it worked out.
I also wanted Woodard , but I think Jones will work out well.

MoSpur02
11-22-2020, 11:46 PM
Too slow, MoSpur

:lmao. That’s the last time I play NBA 2K with my son during NBA free agency.

leo07251413
11-22-2020, 11:55 PM
I like it!!! I remember a couple of years back hoping the spurs would draft this guy

Same, I was really disappointed that he went 1 pick ahead of us by the T-wolves. Then we drafted Metu.

Metu did not pan out but is still not a bad pick for #48 though.

Atl Spur
11-23-2020, 12:16 AM
He'll still get a regular ol' minimum deal, as was expected. The only reason Q was signed as a two-way is that he agreed to sign a two-way before the draft. If Q wouldn't have agreed to sign as a two-way, the Spurs wouldn't have drafted him. Tre Jones, on the other hand, wouldn't have agreed to that. His stock was too high to do that. Someone like Jones would rather go undrafted and then hook up with the right team as a free agent (a la Fred VanVleet) than sign a two-way. Q would do a two-way because otherwise he's probably playing in Siberia.

I concur...... we may be able to develop him, possibly our Rudy gay replacement next year.

bluebellmaniac
11-23-2020, 12:19 AM
Some nice talent for after this coming year. Semi-Tank, get a good starting caliber center, and we'll be looking pretty deep. Throw in a decent vet or two and we could be contending before you know it.

Degoat
11-23-2020, 12:39 AM
I’m assuming Tre Jones will get part of the MLE on his contract but that leaves 1 roster spot open, do y’all think the spurs leave that spot open or will they sign somebody else?? Dario Saric, Alex Len, RHJ, Cheick Diallo, and MKG are some guys I wouldn’t mind the spurs grabbing

XDT76
11-23-2020, 12:56 AM
I’m assuming Tre Jones will get part of the MLE on his contract but that leaves 1 roster spot open, do y’all think the spurs leave that spot open or will they sign somebody else?? Dario Saric, Alex Len, RHJ, Cheick Diallo, and MKG are some guys I wouldn’t mind the spurs grabbing

I would prefer they kept it open, it will be easier to trade LMA or DDR mid season as their salary is too high to trade for a player straight unless we are looking at a poison pill.

Dancelot
11-23-2020, 01:57 AM
Some nice talent for after this coming year. Semi-Tank, get a good starting caliber center, and we'll be looking pretty deep. Throw in a decent vet or two and we could be contending before you know it.
Shit, you know we’re just gonna draft more guards next year

kobyz
11-23-2020, 02:12 AM
If he works really hard he maybe can be our DeMare Carroll replacement

r0drig0lac
11-23-2020, 02:46 AM
very Nice Bryan

cd021
11-23-2020, 03:14 AM
I wanted the Spurs to take him instead of Metu but he was taken just ahead of him. Wonder if the Spurs wanted him too, then.

tbdog
11-23-2020, 06:09 AM
We got no room roster wise and no room money wise.

Chinook
11-23-2020, 07:54 AM
We got no room roster wise and no room money wise.

They do. Reynolds would go to Austin if he gets waived, and the two-way slot doesn't take up cap space.

Chinook
11-23-2020, 07:57 AM
I love this signing. Some folks on here may remember how badly I wanted KBD in the draft a couple of years ago. I was heart-broken when he got taken right before the Spurs could get him in the second round. Part of why I was so frustrated with Metu is because he was the player the Spurs took/had to take instead. I don't know that he's going to be a long-term piece, but I'm happy SA saw the opportunity to snag a defensive combo-forward and went for it.

EDIT: I went immediately to the bottom of the thread to post. I can see that a bunch of people agreed with me on KBD. It's cool that we'll get to have our wishes fulfilled. Now if they could just somehow trade Sam for Clarke...

Chinook
11-23-2020, 08:12 AM
Also I wonder if there was a bit of a Jones connection going on. KBD came into the league playing with Tre's brother Tyus. I wonder if Tre was able to recruit Keita a bit. Just love the signing. Him and Reynolds. Turned a meh off-season into a solid one.

There are still three spots left to fill to have a full TC roster. It wouldn't surprise me to see SA and the other teams not bother with full rosters in an abbreviated off-season. But there could still be more signings to lock in d-league rights. Team could use another center in the pipeline for example.

Truth4sale$
11-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Good pickup. Spurs went from having no combo forwards and needing them to signing two but both will be Gleague bound. If Devin Vassell had KBD's measurement, we would all be so thrilled and annoint him the franchise.

tbdog
11-23-2020, 08:37 AM
Why is he almost out of the league?

Rummpd
11-23-2020, 08:39 AM
Typical - Lakers, Portland, Bucks, Mavs, Hornets Even Atlanta trying to do or are actually doing something of consequence and Spurs go get another limited player. Spurs have plenty of ok type players but with LMA in decline and DDR being well DDR they need to do something more. FO is an absolute farce last few years and getting worse.

bluebellmaniac
11-23-2020, 08:45 AM
Typical - Lakers, Portland, Bucks, Mavs, Hornets Even Atlanta trying to do or are actually doing something of consequence and Spurs go get another limited player. Spurs have plenty of ok type players but with LMA in decline and DDR being well DDR they need to do something more. FO is an absolute farce last few years and getting worse.

Must suck seeing only the crappy version of every event. I can't imagine what that must be like.

lefty
11-23-2020, 08:52 AM
Pop : I'm going to end this man's career

RC_Drunkford
11-23-2020, 09:05 AM
Good signing for a two-way player. This will put some pressure on Lyles and Samanic.

Dejounte
11-23-2020, 09:35 AM
Must suck seeing only the crappy version of every event. I can't imagine what that must be like.

This guy could win a million dollars and complain that it wasn't two million.

John B
11-23-2020, 10:20 AM
Happy that Spurs are going for the defensive player. Now if they can get a bruiser big who can take turns on Jokic, Gasol.

jjktkk
11-23-2020, 10:45 AM

Another spoiled, pampered, Spurs fan, with no clue how lucky Spur's nation was to have such a great dynasty with Timmy as our cornerstone.

bluebellmaniac
11-23-2020, 11:06 AM
This guy could win a million dollars and complain that it wasn't two million.

Upon having won the $156M Mega-Millions Lotta and told he would get $100M after taxes, he says just give me my $2 back...

Atl Spur
11-23-2020, 02:09 PM
Upon having won the $156M Mega-Millions Lotta and told he would get $100M after taxes, he says just give me my $2 back...

Hell naw!!! Lol. KBD has skills to be in this league, we just don’t know in what capacity:) Let’s just see what he’s willing to give.

dbestpro
11-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Now we have two SFs who are defensive minded. It has been two years since we had one. KBD, given the right minutes could blossom into a really good player. Look what happened to Harrell once he got out of Houston and got some PT.

Atl Spur
11-23-2020, 05:02 PM
Now we have two SFs who are defensive minded. It has been two years since we had one. KBD, given the right minutes could blossom into a really good player. Look what happened to Harrell once he got out of Houston and got some PT.

#truestory. Coaching matters......

Joseph Kony
11-23-2020, 05:09 PM
Very nice signing. I'm kind of surprised he signed a two way and not just a min deal. Did no one else really not offer him a spot? Kid looked like he had decent upside, hope the Spurs can tap into that. At the very least it's nice to have a young lanky defender with a huge wingspan on the roster for the first time in a couple seasons

Maddog
11-23-2020, 08:09 PM
Why is he almost out of the league?

Very nice signing. I'm kind of surprised he signed a two way and not just a min deal. Did no one else really not offer him a spot? Kid looked like he had decent upside, hope the Spurs can tap into that. At the very least it's nice to have a young lanky defender with a huge wingspan on the roster for the first time in a couple seasons

It's a good signing. I'd file him under intriguing. Almost out of the league and was a late second round pic. Statisticaly it's unlikely he'll amount to much.
That said, This is something the Spurs have always done with some success. Look at players cast away and see if there a way to develop them.
Maybe he had better potential deals and went with the Spurs because as pointed out by Timvp he saw how they've developed people.

exstatic
11-23-2020, 08:18 PM
A full year min deal for a 3rd year player would put them in the tax. At some point in the season, the prorated salary will fit under the tax, if they choose to convert him from two way to NBA minimum.

Chinook
11-23-2020, 08:37 PM
I dunno if someone else has said it, but the Spurs will have ROFR on him if he makes it through the contract. They wouldn't have the Bird Rights to sign him, but they'll have cap space anyway. So it's a great deal.

Dejounte
11-23-2020, 08:44 PM
Been watching more of him. This guy loves to euro step, and it's quite effective. What a sleeper signing.

JuneJive
11-23-2020, 09:13 PM
Why was he without a team then?

Seems too good of a signing to be true.

Chinook
11-24-2020, 12:01 AM
Why was he without a team then?

Seems too good of a signing to be true.

People thinking he's gonna start of or something shoud adjust their expectations. But he was released when Denver made their trades and was picked up like a day later. He wasn't sitting around looking for a team for too long. I also think he believes he has a shot at a role in SA, which is why he was willing to sign a two-way deal. Plus, if he's up most of the season, he'll basically get paid a min salary anyway.

ace3g
11-29-2020, 01:41 PM
SPURS SIGN KEITA BATES-DIOP TO TWO-WAY CONTRACT (https://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs-sign-keita-bates-diop-two-way-contract)
SAN ANTONIO (Nov. 29, 2020) – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed forward Keita Bates-Diop (KAY-tuh Bates DEE-ahp) to a two-way contract. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not announced.

Bates-Diop will wear No. 31 for the Silver and Black.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs/files/2021_sas_welcome_keita_16x9.png

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-29-2020, 01:48 PM
With him, Reynolds, Jones, Q and Samanic the Austin Spurs would be pretty solid.

Atl Spur
11-29-2020, 04:41 PM
He has that TJ Warren feel to me... Hopefully we help him develop!

BackHome
11-29-2020, 06:32 PM
If I am on the bubble kinda player I am trying to get on Spurs team because they have shown that if they like you they will spend time developing you and rewarding you with a contract if you do good.

I am happy we finally trying to develop some SF this year I think both have potential and just hoping that G League will not be canceled so they can get coached/developed. It's also nice that they are both defensive players who both have decent 3 ball already just need to work on fundamentals and believe in themselves.

Dejounte
11-29-2020, 06:41 PM
I don't see Keita as any lesser than Trey, I feel like both accomplished the same thing in college. One got lucky and got drafted in the first round, and the other one didn't. Both had bad luck in the NBA starting off.

Chinook
11-29-2020, 07:03 PM
I don't see Keita as any lesser than Trey, I feel like both accomplished the same thing in college. One got lucky and got drafted in the first round, and the other one didn't. Both had bad luck in the NBA starting off.

Neither got drafted in the first.

Dejounte
11-29-2020, 07:10 PM

Eh? Trey was the 12th pick

Dejounte
11-29-2020, 07:17 PM

Are you thinking Tre Jones? I'm talking about Trey Lyles.

Trey was out of the league until the Spurs saved him. I see Keita as the same way. I don't see a huge talent disparity.

Chinook
11-29-2020, 07:25 PM
Are you thinking Tre Jones? I'm talking about Trey Lyles.

Trey was out of the league until the Spurs saved him. I see Keita as the same way. I don't see a huge talent disparity.

That's my bad. I forgot Lyles existed, just like I did all last year until like a month into the season. :lol

I don't see them as being similar though. KBD has a lower ceiling but a higher floor. Or at least that would've been the read on them coming out of school. I think Lyles is more differentiated now, and it's still something KBD can surpass. Keita seems more like LRMaM but with more hope on offense. I don't see Lyles as that guy at all.

Dejounte
11-29-2020, 07:28 PM
That's my bad. I forgot Lyles existed, just like I did all last year until like a month into the season. :lol

I don't see them as being similar though. KBD has a lower ceiling but a higher floor. Or at least that would've been the read on them coming out of school. I think Lyles is more differentiated now, and it's still something KBD can surpass. Keita seems more like LRMaM but with more hope on offense. I don't see Lyles as that guy at all.

Who is LRMaM?

Chinook
11-29-2020, 07:41 PM
Who is LRMaM?

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Mr. Body
11-29-2020, 07:52 PM

Try Lyles is like nothing. He's like water. One of the most inconsequential players in the league and it's easy to forget he's there even when playing on the floor. He impacts the game in absolutely no ways.

The Truth #6
11-29-2020, 09:52 PM
I think Lyles came to SA and tried a different approach to save his career. He had no discipline before, but under Pop he played to avoid making mistakes. By the end of the year he was hitting 3s at a good % and made me think that his second year will be worth taking the chance on. His ceiling still may be a homeless man’s Boris Diaw, but he could be a young glue guy type at the 4 with some upside left. That’s my optimistic take.

BackHome
11-29-2020, 10:13 PM
Lyles is the type of player if you give a big contract to you just wasted your money he needs a fire under his ass and short term deals will get the most out of him.

TD 21
11-29-2020, 10:49 PM
Lyles would have remained safely in the league had the Spurs not signed him, the same way Forbes was always going to remain in the league too.

Myopic fans conflated the team thrusting them into roles above their heads with their not being NBA players.

Lyles actually has a real chance to earn an extension. Pop is a fan, Gay is probably gone in the off season, Samanic is a question mark and Bates-Diop is unlikely to last beyond the season, so the positional need is only going to increase.

Truth4sale$
11-29-2020, 11:08 PM
Lyles would have remained safely in the league had the Spurs not signed him, the same way Forbes was always going to remain in the league too.

Myopic fans conflated the team thrusting them into roles above their heads with their not being NBA players.

Lyles actually has a real chance to earn an extension. Pop is a fan, Gay is probably gone in the off season, Samanic is a question mark and Bates-Diop is unlikely to last beyond the season, so the positional need is only going to increase.

I disagree, there was no demand for Trey Lyles, he was bound to Europe or the china league. The Spurs were his last chance but I do believe he took advantage of the opportunity the Spurs gave him. He showed he can play in this league when given an opportunity. Other teams may still question is he improved or the Spurs system of player success.

TD 21
11-29-2020, 11:18 PM
I disagree, there was no demand for Trey Lyles, he was bound to Europe or the china league. The Spurs were his last chance but I do believe he took advantage of the opportunity the Spurs gave him. He showed he can play in this league when given an opportunity. Other teams may still question is he improved or the Spurs system of player success.

Based on what? The Nuggets, arguably the deepest team in the league, initially qualified him, only pulling it when they acquired their second starting caliber "PF" and third rotational one, to add to their bloated payroll.

I'm no Lyles fan, but at a difficult to fill position, he'd shown enough to get another job in the league. He's more like a fringe rotation than fringe NBA player.

Truth4sale$
11-29-2020, 11:44 PM
Based on what? The Nuggets, arguably the deepest team in the league, initially qualified him, only pulling it when they acquired their second starting caliber "PF" and third rotational one, to add to their bloated payroll.

I'm no Lyles fan, but at a difficult to fill position, he'd shown enough to get another job in the league. He's more like a fringe rotation than fringe NBA player.

Based on the fact he was a former lottery pick that had been already traded twice. 3 teams in 5 years and you are young lottery pick from Kentucky. Yet he was a complete afterthought in free agency with no known intrest, almost 3 weeks into free agency until a desperate Spurs team snafu. He had developed a reputation of immaturity and poor workout/practice habits. He is a young lotterty stretch big with potential but 2 other teams found no use for him.
Again, that being said, i believe he played as well as he did because he seized the opportunity knowing their was no demand.

BackHome
11-29-2020, 11:49 PM
Yep could not have said it any better.

TD 21
11-29-2020, 11:56 PM
Based on the fact he was a former lottery pick that had been already traded twice. 3 teams in 5 years and you are young lottery pick from Kentucky. Yet he was a complete afterthought in free agency with no known intrest, almost 3 weeks into free agency until a desperate Spurs team snafu. He had developed a reputation of immaturity and poor workout/practice habits. He is a young lotterty stretch big with potential but 2 other teams found no use for him.
Again, that being said, i believe he played as well as he did because he seized the opportunity knowing their was no demand.

If he were on his way out of the league, the Spurs would have signed him for the minimum, possibly not even fully guaranteed.

He became a free agent after most of the money had been spent and spots had been filled.

He was traded by the Jazz to move into the late lottery for Mitchell.

The opportunity to start and the lack of a guarantee on the second season spurred an urgency in him that had been lacking.

Chinook
11-30-2020, 12:09 AM

Lyles literally can't get an extension. For the most part, you can just sub that out for "a real chance to be re-signed" but the important difference there is that SA will have all season to see what they have in Samanic and KBD, and both of them will be under team control next off-season. They can also go through the draft first and see if they want to keep Gay around. I think there are a lot of scenarios that can lower Lyles' chances of staying if he doesn't improve.

I agree that Lyles was going to be on an NBA roster. I don't think the contract he got was outrageous considering what he'd accomplished. Obviously the Knicks did a good job signing Morris, but Trey would've been as good as any of the other PFs they signed. Forbes' is underrated by the fan base. He's clearly an NBA player and should be in the league for another half-dozen years at least. Not sad to see him go, but people underestimate the importance of shooters and the lack of talent of most 15th men.

r0drig0lac
11-30-2020, 07:57 AM
Bucks probably has one of the worst FOs in the league (especially with the decisions made this season), Forbes' signature is the icing on the cake.

BackHome
11-30-2020, 10:56 AM
Lyles literally can't get an extension. For the most part, you can just sub that out for "a real chance to be re-signed" but the important difference there is that SA will have all season to see what they have in Samanic and KBD, and both of them will be under team control next off-season. They can also go through the draft first and see if they want to keep Gay around. I think there are a lot of scenarios that can lower Lyles' chances of staying if he doesn't improve.

I agree that Lyles was going to be on an NBA roster. I don't think the contract he got was outrageous considering what he'd accomplished. Obviously the Knicks did a good job signing Morris, but Trey would've been as good as any of the other PFs they signed. Forbes' is underrated by the fan base. He's clearly an NBA player and should be in the league for another half-dozen years at least. Not sad to see him go, but people underestimate the importance of shooters and the lack of talent of most 15th men.

You can not compare Morris to Lyles career wise and as far as Fords you can blame all the HATE on Pop who clearly gave him more playing time at the Spurs expense. If he would have used him in certain situations such as instant offense/heat check and then pulled him when he was missing we would all probably be cool being a bench player but no way a starter on any NBA team.

TD 21
11-30-2020, 11:45 AM

Fair enough. Of course there's a lot of scenarios that can lower the chance, I'm just saying people should brace themselves for the very real possibility that he's not just a stopgap or placeholder and that this could easily be the start of a Forbes like 4 year tenure or whatever.

It's not a knock on anybody, but like I said, a lot of people just watch the Spurs, rending them biased, myopic and unable to form a well rounded enough opinions to fairly assess players standing in the league.

Dejounte
11-30-2020, 12:00 PM
No one has dismissed the possibility of Trey returning. That and him being a placeholder/ stopgap are two separate things. When there's a clear upgrade, he's going to be either pushed down the line-up or will be let go / traded. Just like Bryn was.

The upgrade could be Luka, KBD, or simply someone in the draft next year.

It's pretty clear that KBD is insurance for when he leaves given that the Spurs have less flexibility with his (Trey Lyles) bird rights.

TD 21
11-30-2020, 12:09 PM
Him being pushed down/let go could take longer than people hope/think though because they'll need two rotational fours going forward.

Too soon to say with any certainty, but at this writing I'd say there's a better than 50% chance he's retained.

BackHome
11-30-2020, 01:59 PM
Hopefully he is like a crack head they going to hit rock bottom eventually and either two things are going to happen they are going to keep doing it and eventually die or they will wake up one day and say Fuck it I am done with this poison and I want to live. So hopefully he hit rock bottom of almost being out of league and understanding it doesn’t matter where you were drafted if you don’t work hard and produce you will be out of this league first rounder or second rounder it doesn’t matter.

I think he has a good chance of getting another contract by the Spurs as long as he can play team defense and rebound and improve his 3 ball game he has a good shot of sticking

Dverde
03-02-2021, 10:28 PM
Bates Diop has really stuck out these last few games. I like his defense and he doesn’t hesitate on his shot.

cjw
03-02-2021, 10:36 PM
Bates Diop has really stuck out these last few games. I like his defense and he doesn’t hesitate on his shot.

It’s unfortunate not to have a full G League this year, but he’s the kind of guy I’d love to bring back on a two year cheap deal after this. He’s serviceable, while the other two-way guy’s only contribution is to get half the team sick and force us to realize how awesome Luka is.

Leetonidas
03-02-2021, 10:38 PM
Already better than Dante Cunningham

Chinook
03-02-2021, 10:48 PM
It’s unfortunate not to have a full G League this year, but he’s the kind of guy I’d love to bring back on a two year cheap deal after this. He’s serviceable, while the other two-way guy’s only contribution is to get half the team sick and force us to realize how awesome Luka is.

What's good is that the team will have his RFA rights if he makes it through the year. If Gay and Lyles move on, there will be minutes for him and Samanic.

kht
03-02-2021, 10:50 PM
Diop has Devin's body... they look exactly alike.

Dejounte
03-02-2021, 10:53 PM
What's good is that the team will have his RFA rights if he makes it through the year. If Gay and Lyles move on, there will be minutes for him and Samanic.

Such a great value signing. Vintage Spurs find.

Dverde
03-02-2021, 10:55 PM

Don’t forget LMA might be gone too. Seems like a solid 4/5 player we can keep on the cheap. He also doesn’t try to do too much like Lyles.

Dejounte
03-02-2021, 10:57 PM
Don’t forget LMA might be gone too. Seems like a solid 4/5 player we can keep on the cheap. He also doesn’t try to do too much like Lyles.

He's been playing the 3 exclusively in all his minutes that he's played.

KingKev
03-02-2021, 11:01 PM

Hopefully LMA is gone, regardless he is a backup 3 and can play some spot minutes at the four.

sananspursfan21
03-02-2021, 11:02 PM
Already better than Dante Cunningham

What a dark time in Spurs history. I remember trying to be mildly optimistic but I was just homering. I knew that was a waste of contract

Dverde
03-02-2021, 11:05 PM
Hopefully LMA is gone, regardless he is a backup 3 and can play some spot minutes at the four.

He’s 6’8 with 7’3 wingspan pretty sure he can be a 4 in today’s NBA.

John B
03-02-2021, 11:08 PM
He really took advantage of the opportunity. Very mobile and can guard and switch. Dang Spurs is stacked!!

KingKev
03-02-2021, 11:10 PM
He’s 6’8 with 7’3 wingspan pretty sure he can be a 4 in today’s NBA.

He has been used as a SF his whole professional career. He is a 3/4, never a 5.

Mr. Body
03-02-2021, 11:21 PM
He was ready to contribute and did. Really good showing.

RC_Drunkford
03-03-2021, 09:18 AM
I'd rather keep him as a 3rd stringer than Lyles. Diop would be cheaper too

cjw
03-03-2021, 10:08 AM

Good point, will keep him under control on a relatively cheap deal (unless he really shines, and don’t think there’s enough playing time for that to happen).

Uncovering guys like him really allows them to swing big on the rest of the roster - don’t have to backfill with bench guys on high seven-figures contracts, which means there’s room for bigger contracts (either by signing or trade).

look_at_g_shred
03-03-2021, 10:16 AM
Luka/Diop makes Lyles/Gay expendable

exstatic
03-03-2021, 10:49 AM

Last night KBD shot well, but overall, Lyles has a better 3 pointer. He’s also a better rebounder. There’s a reason he’s on an NBA contract, and KBD is on a two way. He’s better.

ceperez
03-03-2021, 10:51 AM

Lyles has an affordable salary. I don't think other teams are going to offer more.

Gay is at the end of his career.

That said, Diop and Lyles fill the same role. Diop has higher defensive upside. Spurs will still be drafting next year and its getting crowded with all the draft picks that are keepers.

cd021
03-03-2021, 10:54 AM
I think Luka and Lyles could make the Spurs at least consider any offer for Gay. They seem to like Lyles and he's playing better while Luka has shown promise and could use minutes.

PrimeMinister
03-03-2021, 11:01 AM
Today’s league the more versatile 6’8-6’9 guys you have who can switch and provide some versatility on offense by shooting and the occasional dribble drive the better

Rudy is probably going ring chasing next year or gets paid from a playoff team with dreams of contention who needs a vet.

I don’t think it needs to be a either/or thing. But right now just based on what we have seen from Lyles both prior to the appendix problem last year, and now this year in being a consummate professional ready to contribute in whatever way he’s needed whenever it’s needed I think you have to take Trey. A former lottery pick from a top program who very well could have flamed out of the league but accepted a deep bench role to prove himself- you can see the flashes of shot creation, confidence in the jumper. Call me crazy- but Lyles could be a really useful 4/5 glue guy you bring off the bench to create and generally be that Swiss Army knife X factor that can break the ice when your normal options aren’t cooking. Similar to how Boris was used in 2014.

KBD I can see having a nice career as a rotation player. I have questions about the consistency with his jump shot mechanics, he seems fairly limited offensively but we haven’t seen enough to really say what his potential is- and his physical tools allow him to be a solid defender but I don’t see him as a game changer right now on that end. Worth keeping around next year on a minimum deal. 25 isn’t prospect status necessarily- but there’s still plenty of time to grow and blossom.

Gorepopovich
03-03-2021, 11:18 AM
Perfect. One starts and another comes off the bench. :eyebrows

Dverde
03-03-2021, 11:22 AM
Lyles has an affordable salary. I don't think other teams are going to offer more.

Gay is at the end of his career.

That said, Diop and Lyles fill the same role. Diop has higher defensive upside. Spurs will still be drafting next year and its getting crowded with all the draft picks that are keepers.

I just don’t see the hustle mentality with Lyles. Lyles seems to be a wannabe superstar, while Diop seems more comfortable doing what is asked and playing his role. Lyles is serviceable, but I’d rather not have another guy on the team bemoaning his touches. I can’t see him diving on the floor in front of a player to get the ball.

PrimeMinister
03-03-2021, 11:25 AM
I just don’t see the hustle mentality with Lyles. Lyles seems to be a wannabe superstar, while Diop seems more comfortable doing what is asked and playing his role. Lyles is serviceable, but I’d rather not have another guy on the team bemoaning his touches. I can’t see him diving on the floor in front of a player to get the ball.

When has anyone had anything but positive things to say about Trey’s attitude, readiness, and humility in accepting a lesser role? And no, pop saying “he wants to play more” isn’t that.

im cool watching film of a player and generating legitimate criticism or critique of their playstyle and how they can improve- but the amount of intangible musing people on this board do about “attitude” or their own perception of what their willingness to compete is drags down the discussion more than anything else here.

ace3g
07-30-2021, 08:47 PM
Keith Smith

(https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweet embed%7Ctwterm%5E1421252379530473476%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ct wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnews4sanantonio.com%2Fsports %2Fspurs-zone%2Fspurs-extend-qualifying-offer-to-bates-diop)
@KeithSmithNBA

(https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweet embed%7Ctwterm%5E1421252379530473476%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ct wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnews4sanantonio.com%2Fsports %2Fspurs-zone%2Fspurs-extend-qualifying-offer-to-bates-diop)
Per a source: The San Antonio Spurs have extended a qualifying offer to Keita Bates-Diop. Bates-Diop will be a restricted free agent.

6:32 PM · Jul 30, 2021 (https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1421252379530473476?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1421252379530473476%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnews4sanantonio.com%2Fsports %2Fspurs-zone%2Fspurs-extend-qualifying-offer-to-bates-diop)

timvp
07-30-2021, 09:09 PM
Keith Smith

@KeithSmithNBA

Per a source: The San Antonio Spurs have extended a qualifying offer to Keita Bates-Diop. Bates-Diop will be a restricted free agent.

6:32 PM · Jul 30, 2021 (https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1421252379530473476?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1421252379530473476%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fnews4sanantonio.com%2Fsports %2Fspurs-zone%2Fspurs-extend-qualifying-offer-to-bates-diop)

Nice. Solid deep bench player.

Chinook
07-30-2021, 09:20 PM
I'd been expecting it. I hope the Spurs bring him back on a cheap but big enough deal to lock him up for three years. I was thinking $9 or 10M/3 with the second and third years non-guaranteed. He's good enough to earn rotation minutes, and while I don't expect him to develop much, he can get a better feel for the game as he ages and be a positive contributor. And that's worth the money in a year where the Spurs are way under the cap.

Dejounte
07-30-2021, 09:36 PM
KBD is an example of a player who makes the most out of his minutes. He was a difference maker out there and hit big shots (and steals) in spotty minutes. I think there’s upside here for him to reach Danny Green’s level.

Mr. Body
07-30-2021, 10:07 PM
I thought he deserved more time last year. He just produced in short time, where Samanic still struggled.

Fusternino
07-30-2021, 10:48 PM
All three young forwards (Samanic/Lyles/KBD) deserved many more minutes.

JeffDuncan
07-30-2021, 10:50 PM
Keith Smith

@KeithSmithNBA

Glad to hear it.

JeffDuncan
07-30-2021, 10:56 PM

Uh hak uh hak uh hak. Pardon me. Lyles? He was a starter, who went bust. A bigger bust than Dolly Parton. (Ok so I’ve been watching old YouTube music videos.)

Mr. Body
07-30-2021, 11:05 PM

Lyles deserved no minutes.

slick'81
07-30-2021, 11:08 PM
Definitely deserves a roster spot . Nice to see the former 2nd pick sticking around

Fusternino
07-30-2021, 11:25 PM
Anyways, too bad we couldn't get him a longer deal. Underrated signing still. Looks almost certain that Gay is gone now.

cjw
07-30-2021, 11:48 PM
Anyways, too bad we couldn't get him a longer deal. Underrated signing still. Looks almost certain that Gay is gone now.

don’t think extending him a QO has any impact on Gay sticking around. Gay was likely out the door either way, but this isn’t what ripped the balance. A QO is super cheap and if he were to somehow sign it, the Spurs would take it. Also allows them to match offer sheets.