PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign Tre Jones to a 3 year deal

MoSpur02
11-27-2020, 04:03 PM
Per Woj

Chinook
11-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Yeah. It'd long been speculated about. I have a feeling he'll get enough to were SA won't have the money to get another player on the roster. But we'll see.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-27-2020, 04:11 PM
Good news.

MoSpur02
11-27-2020, 04:12 PM
How many PGs is that for the Spurs? Murray, Mills, Jones, and...?

bluebellmaniac
11-27-2020, 04:13 PM
How many PGs is that for the Spurs? Murray, Mills, Jones, and...?
2 - White and Jones

NASpurs
11-27-2020, 04:14 PM
2 - White and Jones

Pretty much this.

Dejounte
11-27-2020, 04:20 PM
Mills masqueraded as a PG for one year when Kawhi was here and failed miserably at it. He was the Forbes of that time.

Q should count as a PG-- the offense flows much more naturally with him running the point than say, Dejounte.

Dejounte
11-27-2020, 04:27 PM
Hope Spoon makes Tre's Life MISERABLE in practice...

Believe that

Lol I don't blame Tre for getting paid. No reason to make him an enemy. In fact, I'm reading this dude has a lot of leadership qualities. That can only be a good thing. We need men, not boys.

As far as Q >>> Tre... maybe. Q has a lot of other utilities though, I don't think he has to have to overlap with Tre. Tre + Q on the court at the same time could be a terror for the opposing team.

TD 21
11-27-2020, 05:05 PM
Jones is the only "true PG" in the sense that he's the lone player who projects to play it exclusively on both sides of the ball.

It's not like it really matters though because when Murray, White or Mills is unavailable, Jones won't be next man up, Vassell will be.

cd021
11-27-2020, 05:07 PM
Similar to the Metu deal, I assume. First two guaranteed while the 3rd is non-gauranteed.

99 Problems
11-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Good

ace3g
11-27-2020, 06:09 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1332461221606535175

ceperez
11-27-2020, 06:32 PM
3 years for a 2nd round pick?

Dex
11-27-2020, 06:41 PM
3 years for a 2nd round pick?

He was projected to go in the first round. 1st team All-ACC and ACC DPOY.

Not a bad guy to get locked up on a cheap contract.

B1gduff
11-27-2020, 06:58 PM
I'm gone say Q and Tre will get a shot to replace Mills, who i beleive will be gone.

The Truth #6
11-27-2020, 07:02 PM
Jones--impressive credentials so far.

Mills may hang around for another contract, though at a lower rate. He seems destined to work for the Spurs organization, but a little young to hang it up completely.

PhantomDashCam
11-27-2020, 07:06 PM
Feel he has a chance to contribute earlier than Vassell.

Spot situation on-ball defence is extremely valuable especially with the beasts at the PG position out west.
Vassell has more competition for minutes at the wing.

Unless Walker spectacularly flops or DDR traded; DDR, Walker, Keldon and perhaps situationally DJ and White should eat up the chunk of the minutes there.

Excited to see how it plays out.

The Spurs rotations at the start of the year aren’t usually indicative of where they end up by season’s end.

Rummpd
11-27-2020, 07:18 PM
Another totally worthless signing by a front office used to be stellar and will be coached by a HOF coach who is way past prime. Bottom line.

Truth4sale$
11-27-2020, 07:43 PM
Great signing, has much more upside than Quinndary Weatherspoon. More of a traditional point guard, who will get others involved then look for his shot. Weatherspoon is more of a combo guard. Spurs will be running postionless combinations that will wear down teams by the 4th quarter.

exstatic
11-27-2020, 07:47 PM

You missed one: ACC POY

timvp
11-27-2020, 08:04 PM
Nice. My guess was that the Spurs would offer Tre Jones 3 or 4 years but Jones would only want 1 or 2 years so that he could hit free agency sooner. That the Spurs got Jones to take three years is a win because I'm pretty confident he's an NBA player, so this should be a bargain by the end of the third season.

It'll be interesting to see the final details but I assume it will be right at the minimum with the first two years guaranteed and a team option for the third season. A partial guarantee on the third season wouldn't be a surprise. With Poeltl's number coming in closer to $26 million and the MLE still available, the Spurs had some wiggle room to get creative. We'll see.

Mr. Body
11-27-2020, 08:24 PM
Hope Spoon makes Tre's Life MISERABLE in practice...

Believe that

Why is everybody in love with Weatherspoon?

Chinook
11-27-2020, 08:29 PM
Why is everybody in love with Weatherspoon?

Some posters basically just remember the good things he did in the bubble, which made him seem like an obvious NBA player and don't remember the times where he was killing the team on the court. I like Weatherspoon too, but like, I don't know that he'll be on the team long term, especially as a solid rotation player. He's not solid enough to make up for his lack of talent, but he's still young enough to where he could fix that.

Dejounte
11-27-2020, 08:34 PM
Some posters basically just remember the good things he did in the bubble, which made him seem like an obvious NBA player and don't remember the times where he was killing the team on the court. I like Weatherspoon too, but like, I don't know that he'll be on the team long term, especially as a solid rotation player. He's not solid enough to make up for his lack of talent, but he's still young enough to where he could fix that.

"Killing the team on the court" = hesitant to shoot the 3 a couple times, which most rooks do in front of Pop

Q is going to prove a lot of doubters wrong here.

He was immediately given Beli's minutes and received minutes first over Luka. Beli was forced not to play, basically.

Q has a natural feel for the game, unlike most of our young players who still look awkward playing basketball up to this day.

Dejounte
11-27-2020, 08:38 PM
Metu struggled for years to gain any confidence from the coaching staff to get any playing time.

Q gained it easily in one year.

Just the huge difference there should indicate he has a future with the Spurs.

wildbill2u
11-27-2020, 08:43 PM
FO must think a lot of his ability to blend in quickly. So far most of the young guards they drafted lately are pretty damn good. Tre Jones may be the only one that can play only one position. Give them all equal minutes and tell them to run the other team off the floor

Chinook
11-27-2020, 08:47 PM
"Killing the team on the court" = hesitant to shoot the 3 a couple times, which most rooks do in front of Pop

Q is going to prove a lot of doubters wrong here.

He was immediately given Beli's minutes and received minutes first over Luka. Beli was forced not to play, basically.

Killing the team on the court actually = the team going minus with in on the court in every game but the one against Denver.

We're talking about a guy who went 12/7/11/3/1 ... for the entire year. He was a net-negative even in the d-league. That's not the end all be all. Keldon didn't light the world on fire either. But there wasn't the same type of stretch where Weatherspoon put together great play to inspire a lot of confidence. Also, he's a physical defender, but that's not the same thing as being a good defender. The Medium Three Spurs weren't very physical at all, especially in terms of the contact they'd initiate. Bumping into guys is more likely to get folks called for fouls than lead to stops. I like his chutzpa, but in the famous words of Jean-Jacques Rosseau, "He has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone."

Chinook
11-27-2020, 08:49 PM
Metu struggled for years to gain any confidence from the coaching staff to get any playing time.

Metu is one of the worst players to wear a Spurs uniform. Pop could've been down to four guys and Metu and would've volunteered to go out there himself over playing Chim. Just an awful player. Spoon barely getting playing time despite the injuries is a more honest indicator than being above Metu in the pecking order.

Dejounte
11-27-2020, 08:56 PM
Killing the team on the court actually = the team going minus with in on the court in every game but the one against Denver.

We're talking about a guy who went 12/7/11/3/1 ... for the entire year. He was a net-negative even in the d-league. That's not the end all be all. Keldon didn't light the world on fire either. But there wasn't the same type of stretch where Weatherspoon put together great play to inspire a lot of confidence. Also, he's a physical defender, but that's not the same thing as being a good defender. The Medium Three Spurs weren't very physical at all, especially in terms of the contact they'd initiate. Bumping into guys is more likely to get folks called for fouls than lead to stops. I like his chutzpa, but in the famous words of Jean-Jacques Rosseau, "He has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone."

Using +/- on a guy that averaged seven minutes per game? Really?

The gleague team didn't win many games, so I'm not sure using +/- is very honest about his play either.

How about this? By game 35, I say he's a regular rotation piece. Take the bet?

phxspurfan
11-27-2020, 09:10 PM
ok good go buy your house Tre and then go back to the gym and earn it

and go buy your mom a house too

Mr. Body
11-27-2020, 09:11 PM

Hopeful I get, but The Drew Carey guy is drawing hearts around their names together and already dreaming about the wedding. It's embarrassing.

phxspurfan
11-27-2020, 09:11 PM

He's fine enough to have a career in China or the G league or Euro leagues. But he's not NBA material, at least in anything but emergency/garbage time mop up duty.

If FVF is a backup PG in the NBA, and Isaiah Thomas isn't even in a training camp, this dude is not NBA material.

Mr. Body
11-27-2020, 09:13 PM
Tre Jones will get all the undeserved minutes on this team, book it. He is gonna be the new black hole on this team, count on it. WTF this dude has no coperate knowledge and is a 13th point guard, not GUARD, Point GAURD taken in a draft and gets guaranteed money as that. Partially guaranteed money is STILL GUARANTEED MONEY.

You're a fucking idiot. Jones is the only pure PG on the roster, with White a fantastic combo who can also run a team. Coporate knowledge (check your spelling)? Coach K gushes about this guy and, at the very least, he will be as good as his brother is, a competent lead guard. Black hole? His issue is that he's not a fantastic shooter, but he is a good floor general. And as good as Vassell is at defense, Jones is the one that won the conference DPOY award.

It's okay to have opinions. I'm not sure how good Jones will be. But your opinions have to be somewhat connected to reality.

Mr. Body
11-27-2020, 09:19 PM
I don't know WTF a Mr.body is but NGA you've been on this list for a minute now... stop blowing up my notices.

https://i.imgur.com/nqWcBRF.jpg

Badge of honor. Thanks for the accolade!

bluebellmaniac
11-27-2020, 09:27 PM

Unless we draft Cade next year.

The Truth #6
11-27-2020, 09:49 PM
I suppose without Summer League the FO had to commit to signing him. And I will hope that his stellar defense was enough to give them confidence in the signing without having seen him play against professionals. Or at the least, it signals and reinforces the direction I think the FO is taking the team: defense first.

Mr. Body
11-27-2020, 09:55 PM
I suppose without Summer League the FO had to commit to signing him. And I will hope that his stellar defense was enough to give them confidence in the signing without having seen him play against professionals. Or at the least, it signals and reinforces the direction I think the FO is taking the team: defense first.

Floor: Tyus Jones (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jonesty01.html)

Chinook
11-27-2020, 10:11 PM
So people are making WAAAY too big of a deal out of his contract. It doesn't mean the Spurs extra believe in him or see him as part of the rotation or whatever. It's a way to keep maximum option value for a guy who should be decent depth. In many off-seasons, the Spurs have had to dedicate the MLE to signing a player to fill a rotation spot. That means basically only the min exception to get a second-rounder signed, and those deals could only be for two seasons. Like with Blair and Metu, the Spurs happened to have the room in the MLE available to make a deal work and to give themselves as much flexibility as possible. There was never a reason to believe SA would cut Jones out of camp; their scouting shouldn't be bad enough to allow that. So guaranteed money this year isn't noteworthy. They're also likely to be paying Carroll more next summer than they would to Jones, so even if next year is guaranteed, it's a low risk. After that, they'd get an extension-eligible third season and RFA after that if he's shown to be worth keeping. But like with Metu, there's a huge chance Jones busts out and is cut that summer with little fanfare.

Mr. Body
11-27-2020, 10:39 PM
But like with Metu, there's a huge chance Jones busts out and is cut that summer with little fanfare.

There's a vast difference between Metu and Jones. If there was a huge chance that Metu busts, Jones isn't on the scale. Again and again, we already kind of see Tre's likely floor. Metu never had that floor.

exstatic
11-27-2020, 11:01 PM
So people are making WAAAY too big of a deal out of his contract. It doesn't mean the Spurs extra believe in him or see him as part of the rotation or whatever. It's a way to keep maximum option value for a guy who should be decent depth. In many off-seasons, the Spurs have had to dedicate the MLE to signing a player to fill a rotation spot. That means basically only the min exception to get a second-rounder signed, and those deals could only be for two seasons. Like with Blair and Metu, the Spurs happened to have the room in the MLE available to make a deal work and to give themselves as much flexibility as possible. There was never a reason to believe SA would cut Jones out of camp; their scouting shouldn't be bad enough to allow that. So guaranteed money this year isn't noteworthy. They're also likely to be paying Carroll more next summer than they would to Jones, so even if next year is guaranteed, it's a low risk. After that, they'd get an extension-eligible third season and RFA after that if he's shown to be worth keeping. But like with Metu, there's a huge chance Jones busts out and is cut that summer with little fanfare.

:lol. I don’t recall Metu grading out in the first round on anyone’s board, nor was he PAC12 DPOY and POY.

All second rounders aren’t created equal.

pad300
11-27-2020, 11:03 PM

Yes, this is in the same category as the Eubanks contract. It's a 3 year vet min, for a guy who should at a minimum be the 3ed string guy at the position (PG for Tre, C for Eubanks), and whom they have hopes for him to become a decent bench piece...

Chinook
11-27-2020, 11:27 PM
:lol. I don’t recall Metu grading out in the first round on anyone’s board, nor was he PAC12 DPOY and POY.

All second rounders aren’t created equal.

So? I'm not making an evaluation of him as a player. I'm saying that the contract doesn't suggest anything about his value. The Spurs would give anyone drafted in the mid-second a contract like that if they have the flexibility. The money they pay out is worth it to secure that option value.

Also, remember the Spurs really liked Metu. Jones has a lot going for him, but that doesn't mean SA had an unusually high grade on him. Obviously, enough teams thought players were better than Jones to have passed on him. He clearly wasn't a consensus first-rounder among real NBA teams.

Chinook
11-27-2020, 11:29 PM
Yes, this is in the same category as the Eubanks contract. It's a 3 year vet min, for a guy who should at a minimum be the 3ed string guy at the position (PG for Tre, C for Eubanks), and whom they have hopes for him to become a decent bench piece...

Yeah. The team is securing depth. That's going to be really important when guys like Walker start hitting free agency. The team can bring those guys up or bring in new guys over them with the security of knowing that they have a backstop with a couple of years of experience ready to step in if it doesn't work out.

BackHome
11-27-2020, 11:30 PM
I like both and think both can play with each other as they are Very Good defenders. Trey has better handles and better court vision and passing and Weatherspoon is a better shooter and finisher at the rim and like I said both are Good Defenders.

Weatherspoon is a good PG and I would say is a pretty decent SG and I definitely see him taking Mills role and should be the backup to White if he is injured. Trey is going to get time in G League if it is up and running and might see playing time at the end of the season depending on where we stand.

Chinook
11-27-2020, 11:33 PM
There's a vast difference between Metu and Jones. If there was a huge chance that Metu busts, Jones isn't on the scale. Again and again, we already kind of see Tre's likely floor. Metu never had that floor.

Sigh. I think people are again trying to parse through the minutia in lieu of the main point. It's off-season brain. I don't know if Jones is going to literally bust out. I don't know if he's going to be okay but the team will end up just collecting more guards and ending up cutting him. I don't know if Jones will be a backup for three or more years or even become a starter/star. I'm not in the business of making those kinds of predictions without watching guys play first. My point is that this is a more team-friendly contract than the Spurs are normally able to give to rookies. It's not a sign that they have plans for him any more than Metu's contract was for him.

FireMicoHalili
11-28-2020, 12:00 AM
wow really splitting teeny tiny hairs on second rounders now are we

KobesAchilles
11-28-2020, 12:22 AM
He needs to learn how to shoot. It’s not a bad thing to have a back up point guard seeing as we don’t have one. But if he can’t shoot then he’s not going to do us any good.

R. DeMurre
11-28-2020, 12:29 AM
The depth is nice, but you can see what a quiet off season the Spurs have had when we're arguing about third string PGs.

offset formation
11-28-2020, 01:20 AM
Badge of honor. Thanks for the accolade!

Yup. I'm on it too.

BackHome
11-28-2020, 02:17 AM

Another side note - He lead the Jr. National team Fibi in Argentina where the US won gold and he was youngest player and starting PG.

RC_Drunkford
11-28-2020, 08:27 AM
Wow this is an eyetester and sniffer watermark...

13th POINT guard taken in a down draft year getting a GUARANTEED in the middle contract in the Middle of a Pandemic is GOOD? WTF... DUKETARDS.... I guess....

your evaluation is completely wrong. A lot of scouts said he might be the best PG in the entire draft. Locking him up for 3 years is great

Ocotillo
11-28-2020, 09:03 AM
in the famous words of Jean-Jacques Rosseau, "He has a lot to learn before he's ready to save anyone."

Another reason to love Spurs Talk, you can go from one post where someone is struggling to construct a sentence to someone quoting Rosseau. :spin

Dejounte
11-28-2020, 10:18 AM
Lots of love for both new Spurs in the latest TheAthletic article:

Most likely to get the “You know if Kawhi Leonard and Jason Kidd can learn to shoot…” treatment — Isaac Okoro, Cleveland Cavaliers

Runner-up: Tre Jones, San Antonio Spurs

Most likely to be the best pick in the 10s — Devin Vassell, San Antonio Spurs

Just like the top lottery pick outside of the top 3, Vassell gets the pick here too. He might not just be a 3-and-D guy at the NBA level. I doubt he becomes a guy who is asked to isolate against defenders. But Vassell looks like he’ll be able to attack rotating defenders in space. His handle is improving to get different shots off the bounce. He’s a good passer. And he’s going to the Spurs. A little time under Gregg Popovich and his assistants will create a pathway to looking like an absolute theft at 11 in this draft.

Most likely to be the Draymond Green of this draft — Tre Jones, San Antonio Spurs

Jones is one of the best defensive players in this draft class. He can clamp up with the best of them. With the Spurs grabbing him on draft night, we know he’s going to get the opportunity to play and develop at the right pace in his career. Jones will get plenty of chances to earn time on the floor thanks to his defense. Now remember that legendary shot doctor Chip Engelland helped fixed Kawhi Leonard’s jumper almost immediately, and it’s easy to see Jones correcting the flaws in his scouting report. If anybody has a chance to be the best player from the second-round in this draft, it’s Jones. He’s in the right environment and program to maximize his potential.

Most likely to be the best lottery pick outside the Top 3 — Devin Vassell, San Antonio Spurs

Yes, I’m a little worried about the workout videos we saw pre-draft for Vassell, in which it looked like his smooth jumper had been morphed into some kind of catapult imitation. But there are plenty of scouts and executives around the NBA who simply aren’t worried about Vassell on the offensive end of the floor. Considering he’s one of the best defenders in the draft, nobody will worry about him on that end of the floor either. Vassell has gone to the Spurs and while the Spurs aren’t the top organization of yesterday, you still trust them to have an eye for talent and the right system to develop that talent.

https://theathletic.com/2223667/2020/11/27/the-nbas-incoming-2020-rookie-class-heres-who-is-most-likely-to?source=user-shared-article

Dejounte
11-28-2020, 10:21 AM
Sigh. I think people are again trying to parse through the minutia in lieu of the main point. It's off-season brain. I don't know if Jones is going to literally bust out. I don't know if he's going to be okay but the team will end up just collecting more guards and ending up cutting him. I don't know if Jones will be a backup for three or more years or even become a starter/star. I'm not in the business of making those kinds of predictions without watching guys play first. My point is that this is a more team-friendly contract than the Spurs are normally able to give to rookies. It's not a sign that they have plans for him any more than Metu's contract was for him.

I agree with Chinook here. Contract was not based off merit or reputation, it was for roster flexibility. Better to give your 2nd rounder (no matter who it was) a 3 year contract than a two way one to secure depth. They didn't have the ability to do that last year for Q because of the Carroll mistake.

Dex
11-28-2020, 10:33 AM
wow really splitting teeny tiny hairs on second rounders now are we

Obviously posters on SpursTalk know more than the professional scouts on one of the most successful basketball teams of the last 30 years.

bluebellmaniac
11-28-2020, 10:47 AM
Obviously posters on SpursTalk know more than the professional scouts on one of the most successful basketball teams of the last 30 years.

Being a lurker on ST is the equivalent of sleeping at a Holiday Inn Express. Instant genius.

ace3g
11-28-2020, 11:03 AM
https://twitter.com/ireginaldthomas/status/1332528426499051520

rankingtear
11-28-2020, 11:29 AM
And didn't go in the first round, so who cares about projected. Where is the market he is leveraging against. "give me a deal or I'll"
Play in Europe?
Play in China,Korea, Japan?
Play in Turkey?
Play in Israel?

I kinda think he is getting the contract because his agents and team are in good with the Spurms shit Urkle GM and or are DukeTards... Ratfacedcoach acolytes.

He can choose to decline the contract and only accept the 1 year tender. Either he tanks training camp and become an UFA or play the rest of the year and enter restricted free agency. There is a risk on losing him for nothing or paying him significantly more than just signing him to the standard second round contract.

Seventyniner
11-28-2020, 11:46 AM
He can choose to decline the contract and only accept the 1 year tender. Either he tanks training camp and become an UFA or play the rest of the year and enter restricted free agency. There is a risk on losing him for nothing or paying him significantly more than just signing him to the standard second round contract.

What is "the standard second round contract"? I didn't think there was such a thing.

R. DeMurre
11-28-2020, 11:46 AM
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Article/tre-jones-nba-draft-duke-blue-devils-point-guard-154867641/

"In his two years here, he had two operations," Krzyzewski explained. "Two operations on his hips. One before he got here and then one after his freshman year. He kept becoming a better athlete. A little bit of the knock I hear is that they're not sure how good of an athlete he is. Since the end of the school year, he's been out in LA at P3 and has become even a better athlete."

Sure enough, P3 Sports Academy in LA has released videos of Jones doing skills combine work that show just how much of a leap Jones has made athletically.

Per Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress on twitter (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1326901412484222983?s=20): "Tre set facility records in the 5y Slide (a test of lateral change of direction ability). His Drop Jump displacement (35”) ranks in the top 5 P3 has ever collected, possessing elite movement in both the vertical and lateral planes." Jones also tested a 40 inch max vertical leap."

rankingtear
11-28-2020, 12:12 PM
What is "the standard second round contract"? I didn't think there was such a thing.

Yea there is non I was meant to say the usual, the only standard is the 1 year tender for the minimum which is higher than a two-way. But there is something called the Hinkie second round contract usually offered to high seconds. 3-4 years 2 years guaranteed , 3rd year non guaranteed, 4th year team option. Which is what high seconds usually get.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-28-2020, 12:21 PM
Yea there is non I was meant to say the usual, the only standard is the 1 year tender for the minimum which is higher than a two-way. But there is something called the Hinkie second round contract usually offered to high seconds. 3-4 years 2 years guaranteed , 3rd year non guaranteed, 4th year team option. Which is what high seconds usually get.

Pretty sure the Hinkie special includes no guaranteed years, only unguaranteed ones and team options.

rankingtear
11-28-2020, 01:00 PM
I agree with Chinook here. Contract was not based off merit or reputation, it was for roster flexibility. Better to give your 2nd rounder (no matter who it was) a 3 year contract than a two way one to secure depth. They didn't have the ability to do that last year for Q because of the Carroll mistake.

Teams already know prior to the draft on which players are willing to accept two ways. Q was already slated for two-way contract before free agency.

rankingtear
11-28-2020, 01:01 PM
Pretty sure the Hinkie special includes no guaranteed years, only unguaranteed ones and team options.

Yea you are right.

Dejounte
11-28-2020, 01:03 PM
Teams already know prior to the draft on which players are willing to accept two ways. Q was already slated for two-way contract before free agency.

That's a stretch to assume all those things, unless you can find a report stating it so.

rankingtear
11-28-2020, 01:11 PM
That's a stretch to assume all those things, unless you can find a report stating it so.

Here's how the agents who spoke to VICE Sports think this year's draft is going to play out with regards to two-way deals: at some point next week, teams will call agents to find out which players are amenable to taking two-way deals for next season. Agents will talk to their clients, and put all the options out on the table.
Next, teams will create two lists of players: those who are willing to take two-way deals, and those who won't, but will take the non-guaranteed, one-year required tender that every franchise must offer a second-round pick. Players in the latter group could be seen as riskier selections; a team could have to release them in training camp, losing a potential asset for nothing.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ywzepv/how-the-nbas-new-two-way-contracts-will-affect-the-draft-and-beyond

CGD
11-28-2020, 02:35 PM
So is my count right: their 14 roster slots taken and 3 2-way deals (QW, Diop, Reynolds)?

toki9
11-28-2020, 02:36 PM
So is my count right: their 14 roster slots taken and 3 2-way deals (QW, Diop, Reynolds)?

Reynolds is an exhibit-10. https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/report-spurs-ink-cameron-reynolds-to-an-exhibit-10-deal

tmtcsc
11-28-2020, 04:05 PM
The depth is nice, but you can see what a quiet off season the Spurs have had when we're arguing about third string PGs.

Please remind me who our 1st 2 point guards are.

Sugus
11-28-2020, 04:12 PM
Another reason to love Spurs Talk, you can go from one post where someone is struggling to construct a sentence to someone quoting Rosseau. :spin

I'm 90% sure Chinook was being tongue-in-cheek there, tbf. Rosseau doesn't have a quote that goes like that, but the show Avatar: TLA (highly recommended, btw) uses that quote in its opening intro. It's a great quote either way, I've always liked it.

rudwick
11-28-2020, 08:57 PM
We stacked! :lobt:

The Truth #6
11-28-2020, 09:35 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/P3sportscience/status/1326968159480385536

His training academy hyping him up. Perhaps a better athlete than most think. I’ll admit, this remains to be seen on the court. But interesting.

Dejounte
11-28-2020, 09:47 PM
His defense isn't the "hounding" type you'd expect from players his size a la Beverley. He can probably stay in front of the quickest guard and he is very smart with his hands. Getting Kyle Lowry vibes.

mo7888
11-28-2020, 09:57 PM
He needs to learn how to shoot. It’s not a bad thing to have a back up point guard seeing as we don’t have one. But if he can’t shoot then he’s not going to do us any good.

Supposedly he's improved that but, I agree with you. His ability to shoot will be the biggest factor for him making it at this level.

The Truth #6
11-28-2020, 10:54 PM
Supposedly he's improved that but, I agree with you. His ability to shoot will be the biggest factor for him making it at this level.

Or developing a floater. Or being able to finish at the rim. He needs some consistent way he can score points. The consensus seems to be that he has a solid floor but his ceiling is just barely above that, or at least that's my interpretation.

XDT76
11-29-2020, 02:21 AM

The roster stands at 15, Zeller has not been waived yet.

venitian navigator
11-29-2020, 02:35 AM
With Zeller included we are still under the tax level? If so I see a good reason for our F. O. to stay still...

cd021
11-29-2020, 04:49 AM
With Zeller included we are still under the tax level? If so I see a good reason for our F. O. to stay still...

venitian navigator
11-29-2020, 05:23 AM

So that means if we guarantee Zeller or sign Reynolds we are already over the tax? And we can afford none of them 2 but only a cut rookie for staying under the tax limit?

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-29-2020, 07:42 AM
So that means if we guarantee Zeller or sign Reynolds we are already over the tax? And we can afford none of them 2 but only a cut rookie for staying under the tax limit?

Yes. Reynolds is probably going to Austin.

exstatic
11-29-2020, 09:22 AM
Wouldn’t shock me if they’re waiting on training camp cuts to snag a cut second rounder. Paul Reed, perhaps?

Chinook
11-29-2020, 09:39 AM

Yeah. There's a reason why all of us looking at the cap have been leaving off Zeller. He only had a chance at staying if Poeltl left. I'm not even sure they would've kept him instead of Eubanks had Drew moved on.

Reynolds is already signed, though. The expectation is that they'd cut him. If they want to keep him, they just have to not do that.

Chinook
11-29-2020, 09:41 AM
Wouldn’t shock me if they’re waiting on training camp cuts to snag a cut second rounder. Paul Reed, perhaps?

I could see it, but I doubt it. I think it's so close that SA might just wait until 10-day season so they're not restricted to signing rookies. Plus, they might want to remain slightly flexible in case they have a rash of injuries at one position. They have pretty well-distributed depth at all positions, but with something like COVID, it wouldn't be surprising for all of the big men, for example, to get it due to practicing with each other more closely. That positional targeting has been happening in the NFL this year. There're some differences there, but could still happen.

FutureMan
11-29-2020, 09:45 AM
14 players seen most likely to me just because it’s good to have an extra roster spot for any potential trades (even if they might not have any plans for one).

XDT76
11-29-2020, 10:03 AM
14 players seen most likely to me just because it’s good to have an extra roster spot for any potential trades (even if they might not have any plans for one).

Yeah I would also preferred for them to go 14 deep instead of 15. If they wanted a mid season trade of LMA or DDR they would probably need that extra spot.

TD 21
11-29-2020, 11:38 AM

2020/21 NBA Two-Way Contract Tracker | Hoops Rumors (https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/202021-nba-two-way-contract-tracker.html)

cd021
11-29-2020, 11:56 AM
Yes. Reynolds is probably going to Austin.
Probably.

JuneJive
11-29-2020, 12:37 PM
#41 pick Tre Jones signed a three-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs for part of the MLE:

20-21: $898,310
21-22: $1,517,981
22-23: $1,782,621

22-23 is non-guaranteed, becoming $500,000 guaranteed on 8/1/22 and then fully guaranteed the day before first game of 22-23 season.

bluebellmaniac
11-29-2020, 02:50 PM
#41 pick Tre Jones signed a three-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs for part of the MLE:

20-21: $898,310
21-22: $1,517,981
22-23: $1,782,621

22-23 is non-guaranteed, becoming $500,000 guaranteed on 8/1/22 and then fully guaranteed the day before first game of 22-23 season.

Interesting. So they did use part of the MLE for his deal. Very small part, but still. So we won't be able to use it next year? Is that correct?

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Interesting. So they did use part of the MLE for his deal. Very small part, but still. So we won't be able to use it next year? Is that correct?

Teams over the cap get the MLE or taxpayer MLE every year, so the Spurs would be able to use it, however, it currently seems more likely they'll use cap space next summer, as they project to have 50+ mil and in this case they'd have the room exception which is smaller than MLE.

Chinook
11-29-2020, 03:15 PM

You're thinking of the LLE/BAE. The latter acronym literally is Bi-Annual Exception. MLE is yearly except when as BGSF said, the team is under the cap.

bluebellmaniac
11-29-2020, 05:09 PM
You're thinking of the LLE/BAE. The latter acronym literally is Bi-Annual Exception. MLE is yearly except when as BGSF said, the team is under the cap.

Cool

Drom John
11-30-2020, 11:58 AM
I'm not a huge "awards" fan, but as mentioned above Tre Jones was the ACC POY and the ACC DPOY.
Remember that Florida State plays in the ACC.
The only Florida State player that made the ACC All-Defensive Team was Trent Forrest.

BackHome
11-30-2020, 12:30 PM
He was also the starting PG for the kids FIBA Championship in Argentina and was the youngest player on team USA.

ace3g
12-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Looks like he is a dad

CIbyle1nsLB

NASpurs
12-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Looks like he is a dad

CIbyle1nsLB

The dude was born in the year 2000 and he’s become a dad. Man I’m getting old :lol

Dejounte
12-08-2020, 10:19 PM
https://twitter.com/TheroleP/status/1336367775753916419?s=19

Long interview with this guy... Says he models his game after Rajon Rondo

Mr. Body
12-08-2020, 10:31 PM
"Do you model your game after your brother's?"

"No. Rajon Rondo."

ace3g
12-13-2020, 10:30 PM
CIuSEUgHAVC

GAustex
12-13-2020, 10:33 PM
Got to make them open shots there youngster

Chomag
12-16-2020, 12:23 PM
I wasn't that high on him but I'll admit that he is winning me over as a fan. He seems to be a very smart player, and with a few sessions with Chip I can see him becoming a rotational player.

John B
12-16-2020, 12:27 PM
I wasn't that high on him but I'll admit that he is winning me over as a fan. He seems to be a very smart player, and with a few sessions with Chip I can see him becoming a rotational player.
Tenacious defender and high motor. Agreed those shot can be fixed. Already a better than DJ. It's funny how Pop play him with DJ on SG... hmmmm :lol

wildbill2u
12-16-2020, 12:44 PM
He'd be an all-timee great in an amateur league and useful in the G league. I kept seeing open shots get blocked. That can't happen in the NBA. I'd like to see him do well, cause I'm about his height, but you can't teach height.

EasyMoney
12-16-2020, 01:00 PM
Tre could really use a solid run in the g league. Very promising, it's clear he isn't looking to shoot at times though.

ace3g
12-23-2020, 11:32 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1341912386362597382

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsSW/status/1341888063220301824

John B
12-24-2020, 12:03 AM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1341912386362597382

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsSW/status/1341888063220301824
Too bad Tre didn't play a single minute. Was he even suited??

Mr. Body
12-24-2020, 12:04 AM
Too bad Tre didn't play a single minute. Was he even suited??

I doubt he'll play for a while.

John B
08-11-2021, 04:49 PM
He impressed me at the Bubble. And now he’s scoring more and even a 3? He’s already a steal at 41st and can really solidify his minutes as backup PG. Just a bright side of pre-season (not a lot :lol)

He’s deceptively athletic and that burst of speed reminiscent of Tony himself.

https://youtu.be/Zj2ekY-x7vo

Seventyniner
08-11-2021, 05:14 PM
Nice vid. If he can translate that finishing ability to the NBA he can be a solid contributor on offense. I don't like that he jumped so far forward on his 3 but that's just a nitpick.

duncan2150
08-11-2021, 05:34 PM
He impressed me at the Bubble. And now he’s scoring more and even a 3? He’s already a steal at 41st and can really solidify his minutes as backup PG. Just a bright side of pre-season (not a lot :lol)

He’s deceptively athletic and that burst of speed reminiscent of Tony himself.

https://youtu.be/Zj2ekY-x7vo

He looked good in those summer league games, we talk about primo or why we don't get sengun but this guy is a steal imo.
Really in control, good passer and underatted offensive player imo, not something special but he can do a lot of things.

I like him, he deserves some minutes next year.

John B
08-11-2021, 06:37 PM
I hope they continue making him play PG, and taking shots for himself. His progress is admirable.

exstatic
08-11-2021, 06:39 PM
I hope they continue making him play PG, and taking shots for himself. His progress is admirable.

He is a PG. They’ll probably do that.

CGD
08-11-2021, 06:45 PM
Really like him. He’s a natural PG, which the really really doesn’t have.

Good back up plan if they end up moving White or DJ.

John B
08-11-2021, 07:01 PM

:lol Touche. I meant giving him quality minutes. He averaged about 7.3 mpg as a 2nd round rookie, which is not bad. But I think he was projected as a late 1st round. And now he’s scoring, and within the play. I’m just excited to see him getting to the next level.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-11-2021, 10:12 PM

Ex, you’ve become a little more salty over time. :lol

John B
08-11-2021, 10:37 PM
Ex, you’ve become a little more salty over time. :lol

I get it with how the Spurs are lately :coffee:lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-13-2021, 10:54 AM
Anyone who can go 34-9-8 and carry this ragtag summer league group to a victory is probably deserving of regular minutes with the varsity.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-13-2021, 04:37 PM
Anyone who can go 34-9-8 and carry this ragtag summer league group to a victory is probably deserving of regular minutes with the varsity.

And, a game winning drive all the way to the hoop in the closing seconds. I don't think I've seen a Spur pull that off since Manu. Not the Demar mid-range shot off the back of the rim.

Sugus
08-13-2021, 05:25 PM
And, a game winning drive all the way to the hoop in the closing seconds. I don't think I've seen a Spur pull that off since Manu. Not the Demar mid-range shot off the back of the rim.

I'm still in actual disbelief that we really, really don't have to subject ourselves to any more DeRozan end-of-game, slow ISO into contested pullup middie fadeaway bricks anymore. Like I legit cannot believe it still.

How anyone calls this off-season a disaster is beyond me. There was literally one major thing to be done, only one, and it got done superbly. Everything else is secondary to DeRozan getting off this team. Thank fucking Jesus.

Btw, agree on your point, it takes some balls to go into the teeth of the defense to win the game. Shows a lot of poise and control of your game to pull that off. No doubt it's earned Tre some minutes for the season.

The Truth #6
08-13-2021, 11:10 PM
I'm still in actual disbelief that we really, really don't have to subject ourselves to any more DeRozan end-of-game, slow ISO into contested pullup middie fadeaway bricks anymore. Like I legit cannot believe it still.

How anyone calls this off-season a disaster is beyond me. There was literally one major thing to be done, only one, and it got done superbly. Everything else is secondary to DeRozan getting off this team. Thank fucking Jesus.

Btw, agree on your point, it takes some balls to go into the teeth of the defense to win the game. Shows a lot of poise and control of your game to pull that off. No doubt it's earned Tre some minutes for the season.

That’s definitely a good way to look at the off-season. It’s less about trying to figure out what the FO is doing and more about how it affects one’s sanity as a fan. But as for Jones, I’m loving his progress. A definite bright spot. If his outside shot is legit, that’s a whole new equation.

ismael-robert
08-13-2021, 11:22 PM
I think it's a limited way of looking at off season because we don't know how much of Forbes gotta watch instead of derozan...rather watch demar than bryn

tim_duncan_fan
08-14-2021, 12:15 AM

Will Pop care?

Gonna have to score 40 in 40 consecutive games before Pop even considers playing him over Forbes.

EricB
08-14-2021, 03:01 AM
Will Pop care?

Gonna have to score 40 in 40 consecutive games before Pop even considers playing him over Forbes.

��