PDA

View Full Version : PJ off the table- we MUST go after Brand

scott
07-12-2003, 12:32 PM
WOAI TV reporting that PJ Brown will stay in NO for 4 years $40 million.

There is absolutely no reason to not go after Elton Brand now.

T Park Num 9
07-12-2003, 12:34 PM
If you go after Brand and cant get him, then who???

Olowakandi?????

Will he still be around if you wait on Brand???????

scott
07-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Anyone that we will miss out on by going after Brand is not worth passing on Brand.

ESPN Radio guys were saying that BMiller is almost a lock to stay in Indiana now that O'Neal is back.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 12:51 PM
The only way to get Brand is to offer up Parker. Probably would have to get Sterling to accept another contract as well. Having watched Sterling for all these years he may take it or he may just twiddle his thumbs.

Ghost Writer
07-12-2003, 01:22 PM
PJ Brown wasn't worth addressing before Brand or we would've extended him an offer.

We have bigger fish to fry.

T Park, Olowokandi and Odom will be dealt with after the Brand situation is resolved.

We knew for months that B. Miller wasn't leaving a good situation in his homestate.

Convince Brand to sign our offer sheet or try again for a S&T. If it takes Parker, sobeit. After that, we can replace Parker with Arenas.

:cooldevil

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 01:33 PM
How do you know Brown didn't receive an offer from SA?

exstatic
07-12-2003, 01:36 PM
And if Brown gets $10M a year, do you still think Kandi can be had for $6-7M? No way.:blah

DDS4
07-12-2003, 02:04 PM
I live in the Bay Area and have watched a lot of Warrior games and Arenas.

Arenas is a talent no doubt, but I don't think he would make a good Spur.

He doesn't play good D....there were several occasions Musselman replaced Arenas with Sura for defensive purposes late in the game.

Not only that, but Arenas can be selfish at times and pout if things don't go his way. Kinda like SJax at times, but way worse.

I would like to see Arenas stay a Warrior and keep what they started there intact.

Solid D
07-12-2003, 02:15 PM
I heard on the radio while running errands today that Chad Ford with ESPN reported N.O. and PJ Brown had agreed to a 4 year $33M deal - so it may not be quite $10Meg/yr.

Never-the-less, it is very disappointing to see him "off the board". Very disappointing, indeed.

KoriEllis
07-12-2003, 02:36 PM
PJ actually took less money to stay with the Hornets than the Spurs offered him yesterday. He accepted 4-years starting at $8M from the Hornets. The Spurs had offered him 5-years starting at $8M.

See for yourself ...

Report: P.J. Brown to stay with Hornets
SportsTicker

NEW ORLEANS (Ticker) - P.J. Brown apparently is staying out and will become the latest free agent to spur the San Antonio Spurs.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reported Saturday that the veteran forward has agreed to a four-year, $40 million contract to remain with the New Orleans Hornets.

Brown, a native of Winnfield, Louisiana, reportedly will receive $8 million next season with incremental raises over the life of the contract. Brown earned $7.044 million last season.

"He'll be with the Hornets," Brown's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told the Times-Picayune in Saturday's editions. "P.J. wants to be in New Orleans. P.J. and his family made the decision that he wants to spend the rest of his career there.

"His feelings for the organization, the city of New Orleans and the Hornets fans were what really pushed him to get this thing done. He wants to make New Orleans his home for the rest of his life."

Brown had been courted by several teams, including the NBA champion Spurs.

Bartelstein confirmed to the Times-Picayune that the Spurs went back to Brown on Friday with a five-year contract offer starting at $8 million a year, after learning their most sought-after free agent, guard Jason Kidd, would re-sign with the New Jersey Nets.

When the Hornets found out, they countered with a three-year offer. Bartelstein told the Hornets to make it four years, and two two sides were able to agree on a deal.

sports.espn.go.com/sports...d=17238020 (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=17238020)

spurster
07-12-2003, 03:00 PM
5 years? That's a sign of desperation from the Spurs.

scott
07-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I was thinking along the lines of Ghost's original idea of being the team to extend the offer sheet. If Brand will cost us Parker, we can't afford to S&T now.

Since any major aquisition we make now will have to be via a trade, we should offer the max and wait the 15 days to see what happens.

T Park Num 9
07-12-2003, 04:44 PM
why the **** would you take less money to play for a worse team????

I dont get it.

These player's agents are dumber than dumb....

KoriEllis
07-12-2003, 04:49 PM
why the **** would you take less money to play for a worse team????

Being loyal to your organization is not a bad quality. PJ chose to stick by his team and not uproot his family. I don't think we can fault him for that.

T Park Num 9
07-12-2003, 04:51 PM
Nope cant fault him.

Spurs are obviously screwed this season since all the players are taking this attitude.

Lookin more and more everyday that Rose is the starting 4.

Yikes........

timvp
07-12-2003, 05:38 PM
5 years for PJ? Starting at $8M?

I'm glad the Spurs missed out.

:drunk

grjr
07-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Espn.com is saying PJ will sign for 4 years and $34 Million but who knows. They also quoted the agent as saying basically we liked the Spurs offer but they were too busy fucking around with Kidd to know if they wanted PJ.

jr

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2003, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that was the Spurs' total guaranteed offer. In addition, oftentimes reporters take the total amount of a proposed contract and divide it by its length to get the amount per year.

If the guaranteed amount of the deal was as reported then I'm glad PJ stayed in New Orleans.

Admiral
07-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Two things:

1. If we were pursuing P.J. Brown, surely that means we have already pursued Elton Brand. Surely.

Hopefully Pop isn't so attached to Malik Rose that he thinks Rose is as good as Brand.

2. We offered P.J. Brown 5 years at $8 million per?!? Whoa there, fellas. He will be 34 in October, and he only averaged 10 points and 9 boards a game last year. Not bad numbers, but not worth $8 million a year in my book.

I wouldn't pay him more than $5 to $6 million per. On top of that, a five-year deal for him seems a bit excessive to me. Why on earth would we want to be paying him $8 million a year until he's 38?

If true, that definitely sounds like a desperate move. I do think he would've made a great Spur, though.

gunawanspurs
07-13-2003, 01:42 AM
......and to think that PLENTY Kidd lovers believe that PJ could be had with the capscrap left over money after signing Kidd !

WHAT AN ASSENINE THOUGHT ! :lol

scott
07-13-2003, 02:16 AM
Brown will be 34 this October, meaning the Spurs' 5 year offer would have triggered the Over 36 rule. Interesting the Spurs were willing to take on such a massive cap hit.

DDS4
07-13-2003, 03:57 AM
It will end being a slim chance of signing Brand or nothing at all.

Not worth the risk. Sterling will surely wait to the 14.99th day to match.

By that time, we've missed out on all the rest of the bigs.