PDA

View Full Version : Finley & other injury updates

milkyway21
11-09-2005, 10:21 PM
how long will mike sit on the bench? Is he a day-2-day?

and how's Brent Barry? how bad his back is? Why he's on IR?

Manu is playing it worries me, he shld rest for a while. Or is he alright already?

Solid D
11-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Dirk Nowitzki went out with back spasms tonight, too. McGrady, Barry, now Dirk.

Shelly
11-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Is there something in the water?

smrattler
11-09-2005, 11:08 PM
They said Pop wanted to start NVE to allow Manu to rest. But I guess he was much healthier than Barry and Fin. So, NVE starts, gets in a rythm and Manu can fill in minutes as needed. He doesn't need a lot of time to warm up.

They mentioned the idea was that Manu's thigh problem is tougher on him when he starts and then has to sit. It gets cold. It seems to me the problem would just get delayed, but trust Pop.

milkyway21
11-09-2005, 11:32 PM
I got this from Express-News :cry.

I'm Sad. Health is Wealth you know.

The Spurs placed guards Brent Barry and Michael Finley on the inactive list, the team announced Wednesday.

The announcement was made a short time before the Spurs played the Charlotte Bobcats in Charlotte.

Barry left Monday night's game with back spasms and was diagnosed with a lower back sprain. Finley has played in each of the Spurs' first four games but was held out with a tight groin.

With a spot available on the active roster, the Spurs activated forward/center Sean Marks.

The Spurs also signed free-agent Melvin Sanders. The 6-foot-5 guard was with the Spurs in the preseason

they said Brent will be out for a week. Hopefully.

Marcus Bryant
11-09-2005, 11:35 PM
So the Spurs have two of their four swings out and you have NVE starting at the 2 with a hobbled Manu forced to play instead of perhaps getting the early season rest Pop wanted for him? That's great.

thispego
11-09-2005, 11:40 PM
might as well call you kobe you bitch

TMTTRIO
11-09-2005, 11:40 PM
I was hoping that maybe Manu could sit out at least one of these back to back games coming up so we'll see. He still doesn't look right and on the pregame show he said he was only a little bit better

Marcus Bryant
11-09-2005, 11:42 PM
might as well call you kobe you bitch

Are you a basketball fan? This shit was obvious from the get go. Depth is not a luxury when you are trying to win a championship.

milkyway21
11-09-2005, 11:45 PM
I was hoping that maybe Manu could sit out at least one of these back to back games coming up so we'll see. He still doesn't look right and on the pregame show he said he was only a little bit betteri agree :tu.

But who could replace Manu? Brent is out.

How about NVE takes Manu's role then Udrih plays(he's been sitting too much on the bench lately), when TP rests????

loveforthegame
11-10-2005, 01:05 AM
I could be looking for a bright spot but I like the wording on Fin's injury. Held out sounds like it's a precaution instead of something more. Could they have held him out tonight in hopes of sitting Manu in one or both of the upcoming games?

milkyway21
11-10-2005, 01:21 AM
maybe.

T Park
11-10-2005, 02:18 AM
So the Spurs have two of their four swings out and you have NVE starting at the 2 with a hobbled Manu forced to play instead of perhaps getting the early season rest Pop wanted for him? That's great.

And they resigned Melvin Sanders.

WTF else do you want.

More signings???

Go away.

milkyway21
11-11-2005, 03:19 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111105.1D.spurs.new.players.da8e507.html

...Brent Barry, whose back continues to improve, isn't expected to play tonight or Saturday in Washington. Michael Finley's groin injury doesn't appear serious, but the Spurs didn't practice Thursday, so team officials won't know if he'll be available to play against the Celtics until he gets on the court this morning.

If any good figures to come from the Spurs' recent string of injuries, it's that Van Exel will likely have more minutes playing with Duncan. This is Van Exel's first chance to team with a dominant big man since he left Shaquille O'Neal and the Los Angeles Lakers eight years ago.

TMTTRIO
11-11-2005, 08:10 AM
I still wish that Manu could sit out at least one game. I agree with PJ when he said it's hard to get him healthy when there are 6 games in 9 days and he still has had heavy minutes and hasn't done much. Hopefully he plays well tonight otherwise I hope they take him out early.

milkyway21
11-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Spurs notebook: Barry, Finley out again Saturday night

Web Posted: 11/12/2005 12:47 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer
BOSTON — The Spurs hope to have Brent Barry and Michael Finley back for Tuesday's game against Atlanta.

Spurs 103, Celtics 82
Duncan, Spurs still own Celtics
Buck Harvey: New-age Celtics - how franchises switched jerseys
Notebook: Barry, Finley out again Saturday night
Saturday night: Spurs (5-1) at Wizards (4-1)
Box: Spurs 103, Celtics 82
En Espanol: Spurs 103, Celtics 82

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the two guards, who have both missed the past two games, won't play tonight in Washington.

Barry has been sidelined since hurting his back Monday in Chicago. Finley, who rode an exercise bike during Friday morning's shootaround, was a late scratch from the lineup Wednesday in Charlotte after his groin tightened.

"With a groin, if you come back too quick, you're really in trouble," Popovich said, "We don't think it was a very serious pull or anything, just a tweak."

Still, any time Finley misses just means it will take him that much longer to get adjusted to his new teammates.

"Mike's really pretty devastated right now," Popovich said. "After only five games he has to sit there. He was in the rotation and playing, so it's really tough for him."

From Beantown with love: The Spurs can thank Boston's Emerson College for helping them assemble one of the league's top front-office staffs.

Spurs assistant general manager Sam Presti and basketball operations assistant Rob Hennigan are both Emerson graduates.

Presti, 29, joined the Spurs in the summer of 2001 as an intern. He has quickly moved up in the organization and is considered one of the league's top young executives. In addition to helping general manager R.C. Buford convince Popovich to take Tony Parker, Presti — who Popovich calls the team's "resident genius" — also found this year's first-round draft pick, Ian Mahinmi.

Hennigan graduated from Emerson in 2004 before Presti recommended the team hire him as an intern last season. Danny Ferry tried to hire Hennigan for his new staff in Cleveland this summer before the Spurs promoted him to basketball operations assistant.

"He's our secret weapon," Popovich said of Hennigan. "He does all the research for us, makes sure we're not leaving any stone unturned. He just has a real good feel for the game, offers great suggestions about possible additions to the team, who's out there, how it can help us cap-wise.

"Both those guys' intelligence has worked well for us."

Looking good: Melvin Sanders, who signed with the Spurs on Wednesday, picked up the first points of his NBA career on a pair of free throws with 6:07 left in the third quarter.

But it was Sanders' defense that most pleased Popovich. The rookie teamed with Bruce Bowen and Manu Ginobili to help limit Ricky Davis and Paul Pierce to a total of 30 points.

"I thought they did as good a job as you can do on two great players," Popovich said.

Sanders' teammates also were happy to see him contribute. He finished with six points and two rebounds in 19 minutes.

"I thought he did great tonight," Tony Parker said. "He's been working hard every day at practice, so it's good to see him do well."

Faces in the crowd: The New England Patriots were well represented at the Garden on Friday night. Tom Brady, Corey Dillon, Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork and Jarvis Green all attended the game. Boston Bruins legend Cam Neely and comedian Denis Leary also were in the stands.

...good luck guys!

Bruno
11-14-2005, 06:51 PM
Some news :
Barry didn't practice today and Finley just do some training without scrimmage.
Both won't likely play against Atlanta tomorrow.
(Source : Tony Parker Show).

T Park
11-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Barry didn't practice today??

Who was that white dude that looked like Brent Barry that was shooting and sweating on the practice court today?

ploto
11-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Barry didn't practice today??

Who was that white dude that looked like Brent Barry that was shooting and sweating on the practice court today?

Pop said today that Barry was farther along than Finley.

milkyway21
11-15-2005, 01:05 AM
Some news :
Barry didn't practice today and Finley just do some training without scrimmage.
Both won't likely play against Atlanta tomorrow.
(Source : Tony Parker Show).it's better for Finley and Barry to sit vs Atlanta.

I think the upcoming Suns vs Spurs games on Saturday is much impt. to gain homecourt adv.

Now let's see how Jerome James suits up with his new team.

How about Manu? Raja Bell is doing okay with the Suns right now, I wish Manu to be 100% when they face each other.

milkyway21
11-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Spurs notebook: Finley, Barry unlikely to see action Thursday
John Ludden
Express News
Web Posted: 11/16/2005 12:14 AM CST

Michael Finley and Brent Barry missed their fourth consecutive game Tuesday.

There's a chance both players could practice today, though coach Gregg Popovich sounded uncertain as to when they might play in a game. Barry received a cortisone injection Monday to reduce the inflammation in his back and Finley also says he's feeling better.

"If they can get through practice, then they would be available Thursday," Popovich said. "But I'm not expecting that."

thispego
11-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Are you a basketball fan? This shit was obvious from the get go. Depth is not a luxury when you are trying to win a championship.
WTF is THAT supposed to mean????

Marcus Bryant
11-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Um, what it says.

FromWayDowntown
11-17-2005, 12:47 PM
It means this: Marcus would prefer that the Spurs not lose games (because they don't have quality players to throw at an opponent) and risk home court advantage in an important playoff series (say, the NBA Finals) just so that Holt & Co. can make a bit more money on luxury tax refunds than they would if they signed another quality player or two.

I can see how that would be something to quarrel about.

ambchang
11-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Are you a bot? Because you seem that it's automatic when the injury comes up, you bash management despite the fact that it has been proven that 4 starter quality wing is plenty.
Now that you have mentioned championship caliber, let's look at last few years of championship teams and look at their wing depth
2005 Spurs: Manu, Bowen, Barry and Devin Brown (4)
2004 Pistons: Rip, Prince ... er .... Sura?
2003 Spurs: Steve Jax, Bowen, Manu, Steve Smith, Kerr? Brown?
2002 Lakers: Kobe, Devean George, Rick Rox, and Mitch Richmond.

Seems like it's not really that common to have more than 4 wingmen.

thispego
11-17-2005, 01:34 PM
It means this: Marcus would prefer that the Spurs not lose games (because they don't have quality players to throw at an opponent) and risk home court advantage in an important playoff series (say, the NBA Finals) just so that Holt & Co. can make a bit more money on luxury tax refunds than they would if they signed another quality player or two.

I can see how that would be something to quarrel about.
thank you FWDT, but trust me, i know Marcus's opinions on the matter :pctoss

but i dont understand what he meant by that statement that i bolded
how is depth not a luxury in ANY case??

Seems like MB was just waiting for an injury so he could blurt out I TOLD YOU SO!!! But still, none of our losses have copme from a lack of swingmen.... So NO marcus....you did tell us so...many many many many times... but you still have yet to be proven right... so stfu