PDA

View Full Version : Dat ball movement for Lonnie doe...

KobesAchilles
12-12-2020, 09:32 PM
Anybody who thought chuckers on our team like Gay, Mills, Murray weren’t gonna chuck :lol Even Lyles got 9 shots. I admit I didn’t see the game so of course I’m only going off of box score stats but man he was 7th on the team in shots WITHOUT KJ and White

Did Pop run any plays for him or was it more just sit in the corner offense? Or was Lonnie just passive and not aggressive?

RC_Drunkford
12-12-2020, 09:37 PM
He didn't get any play calls, but he looked for his shot when he touched the ball and it was awful. What was even worse was his defense. It was DeRozan level, got blown by everytime. His footwork on defense is non-existant

Dejounte
12-12-2020, 09:39 PM
We need to stop blaming Pop for Lonnie's lack of aggressiveness. If a rook can go out there and look confident and take shots, Lonnie can too. Except he didnt.

offset formation
12-12-2020, 09:40 PM
Anybody who thought chuckers on our team like Gay, Mills, Murray weren’t gonna chuck :lol Even Lyles got 9 shots. I admit I didn’t see the game so of course I’m only going off of box score stats but man he was 7th on the team in shots WITHOUT KJ and White

Did Pop run any plays for him or was it more just sit in the corner offense? Or was Lonnie just passive and not aggressive?

No. I only saw a few times where it looked possible that a set play was run and it was earlier in the game with a couple of sets maybe with LMA and DD. Otherwise it was completely freestyle. And the defense was once again shit . Devin and Tre are both really gonna be good though.

onechance87
12-12-2020, 09:48 PM
lonnie was bad....He didnt help in any way....He looked like the worst defensive player in the game

offset formation
12-12-2020, 09:51 PM
lonnie was bad....He didnt help in any way....He looked like the worst defensive player in the game

Which is saying something when a crackpot OKC team without 2 starters drops 121 pts in their first game together, nonetheless.

XDT76
12-12-2020, 10:02 PM
I think he's first 2 quick foul drain him of his aggressiveness and that "Gary Neal" play.

rankingtear
12-12-2020, 10:39 PM
Keldon and now Vassell, and this dumbass still think it was pop's fault Lonnie is bad.

KobesAchilles
12-12-2020, 10:47 PM
Keldon and now Vassell, and this dumbass still think it was pop's fault Lonnie is bad.
No I just said that it was dumb to fall for this we are going to share the ball nonsense when we have a team full of chuckers. Rudy, DJ, Patty, and to a lesser extent LMA are all black holes on offense.

My point on Lonnie is that Pop never really calls a play for him to get in rhythm or in a groove. I’m not expecting Lonnie to be Star but we could get him a shot in his favorite spot once... just once

rankingtear
12-12-2020, 10:51 PM
No I just said that it was dumb to fall for this we are going to share the ball nonsense when we have a team full of chuckers. Rudy, DJ, Patty, and to a lesser extent LMA are all black holes on offense.

My point on Lonnie is that Pop never really calls a play for him to get in rhythm or in a groove. I’m not expecting Lonnie to be Star but we could get him a shot in his favorite spot once... just once

He got several screens into his midrange spot but his defense is unplayable. So he got benched in the second half. He can't run a pick and roll and his defense is bad off ball and now on ball too, what opportunities do you get from that. Vassell outplayed him and they did not run any plays for him.

BackHome
12-13-2020, 01:18 AM
There was a post a while back it talked about court vision and how important it is to be a truly good basketball player - Keldon and Vassell have it in spades and Murray and Walker have just a tad bit - the difference of having it or not having it is like Night and Day

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2020, 07:18 AM
todays league there is no set plays no more, just bunch of a clowns chucking up 3s

Atl Spur
12-13-2020, 09:48 AM
There was a post a while back it talked about court vision and how important it is to be a truly good basketball player - Keldon and Vassell have it in spades and Murray and Walker have just a tad bit - the difference of having it or not having it is like Night and Day

This!

tmtcsc
12-13-2020, 10:06 AM

The Spurs have drafted young guys with tons of potential over the past few years but “potential” is a double edged sword. Young players also have the “potential” to fail miserably. I’ve seen all I need to see in DJ and Walker. They are not NBA caliber players. Forget the physical gifts, they mean nothing if there’s no basketball acumen upstairs. Enough babying already. Package those dudes & get some players or picks in return.

KobesAchilles
12-13-2020, 10:53 AM
The Spurs have drafted young guys with tons of potential over the past few years but “potential” is a double edged sword. Young players also have the “potential” to fail miserably. I’ve seen all I need to see in DJ and Walker. They are not NBA caliber players. Forget the physical gifts, they mean nothing if there’s no basketball acumen upstairs. Enough babying already. Package those dudes & get some players or picks in return.
I agree.

Prime BEEF
12-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Wasn’t a big fan of these guys on draft night (liked other available players more). Wasn’t really impressed with their play in college and didn’t think they’d be able to have a strong impact on improving the spurs. obviously not a fan of their potential now.

Sugus
12-13-2020, 11:53 AM
Caveat that it's still the first preseason game. Can't be drawing too many conclusions from this.

But I definitely have lost faith in Dejounte. Can't wait to see him off the team... His defense can be good in the right system, maybe his offense even, but the Spurs just ain't it - especially with White, a superior player in literally every way, being displaced due to his presence. I thought with a year off his injury and an off-season (plus the quarantine months) he could make some progress, but he's still just the same player that he was: weak, weird jumper, bad instincts, low IQ, thinks too highly of himself and his game to just be a "cog in the machine" and put his true abilities to good use.

Jury's still out on Lonnie for me. I definitely didn't like what I saw from him yesterday, but I also don't think he'll be truly ready this season. As with Luka, there's a learning curve when you put on a lot of weight and you have to learn to play with it - of course, Lonnie displayed worrying signs that didn't have to do with that, but it's still something to keep in mind. What's worrysome (for Lonnie, not us) is that Vassell looks to have an extremely high floor, and could absolutely jump Walker in the rotation as a starting SG (I think starting SF will be DeMar until (if) he's traded, then Keldon), which would just kill any chance of Walker asserting himself. I think most posters want to see him as an "energy guy" off the bench, like Manu, but no player is like Manu and most wouldn't stand the "downgrade" mentally. We'll see what happens - competition tends to be good to draw out the best in players.

And overall, we just can't gloss over Pop's mismanagement. I should've made it my first point, tbh. What a fraud... Filling up his mouth all off-season about how ball will be shared, young guys will play over vets, and even that "vets are ready to take a step back and work on what they did in the Bubble". Bullshit. Game starts, he throws a 90's lineup filled up with vets, then proceeds to watch as Patty "vet PG" Mills chucks up 30 shots, and DeMar & Rudy keep doing DeMar & Rudy things with no care for the team. Only one I liked was LMA, he truly looks like he's committed to his role and shooting 3's. That high PnP where he trails on the line is a bucket every time, his release is near unblockable. A bright spot in a dark game, as were the rookies.

Mr. Body
12-13-2020, 12:04 PM

This isn't true.

paperboy77
12-13-2020, 12:05 PM

You can overcome that tho. Look and Tony Parker... he had shit court vision but he obviously had other elite skills. Lonnie's issue, I 100% believe, is confidence.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-13-2020, 01:41 PM
I’m beginning to doubt Lonnie’s mental fortitude for the NBA game.

There are lots of talented players in the G league and Europe. Lonnie may be one of them if he can’t figure it out.

Tons of raw talent, so dang I hope he can pull his game together.

TimDunkem
12-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Just one game but I honestly have never seen the "all-star" potential everyone talks about. A versatile guard with 3 and D potential sure. Still, I don't see that killer instinct that you see in other projected stars. Dunking hard every other game doesn't make you a killer on the court.

BackHome
12-13-2020, 03:01 PM
You can overcome that tho. Look and Tony Parker... he had shit court vision but he obviously had other elite skills. Lonnie's issue, I 100% believe, is confidence.

That is half the battle in being a really good player if you have no confidence no matter how athletic you are you won’t make it.

daslicer
12-13-2020, 03:09 PM
I’m beginning to doubt Lonnie’s mental fortitude for the NBA game.

There are lots of talented players in the G league and Europe. Lonnie may be one of them if he can’t figure it out.

Tons of raw talent, so dang I hope he can pull his game together.

He could end up being another James White type of player which is a guy who is super athletic but has no skill set.

tmtcsc
12-14-2020, 12:06 AM
He could end up being another James White type of player which is a guy who is super athletic but has no skill set.

2020: When you hope for a Manu type who can bring energy off the bench & you get James White. I agree with you.

duncan2k5
12-14-2020, 06:28 AM
We need to stop blaming Pop for Lonnie's lack of aggressiveness. If a rook can go out there and look confident and take shots, Lonnie can too. Except he didnt.

Give it time...Pop will snuff that confidence out soon enough