PDA

View Full Version : Who should start at PF?

RC_Drunkford
12-12-2020, 09:41 PM
It's pretty clear that White/Vassell need to be the starting back court. LA and DeRozan will start, that's just edged in stone. With DeRozan already being a bad defender, we really need a forward who can play solid D, so I don't see Gay starting. Lyles is terrible. Samanic looks like he needs 2 more years in the G-League. I honestly think start DeRozan at PF and play Johnson at the 3. PF is not a strong position in this league and it would be the best solution defensively.

Dejounte
12-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Lol at Samanic being on this list

Honestly my darkhorse is KBD. Dude looked solid.

It should be DeMar with Keldon at the 3.

RC_Drunkford
12-12-2020, 09:45 PM
Lol at Samanic being on this list

Honestly my darkhorse is KBD. Dude looked solid.

It should be DeMar with Keldon at the 3.

Yeah I like him too, just didn't add him to the list since he's on a 2-way. With Lyles still being an inconsistent shooter, KBD definitely has a chance. He's just longer and more athletic than Trey.

offset formation
12-12-2020, 09:48 PM
It's pretty clear that White/Vassell need to be the starting back court. LA and DeRozan will start, that's just edged in stone. With DeRozan already being a bad defender, we really need a forward who can play solid D, so I don't see Gay starting. Lyles is terrible. Samanic looks like he needs 2 more years in the G-League. I honestly think start DeRozan at PF and play Johnson at the 3. PF is not a strong position in this league and it would be the best solution defensively.

This. Exactly the starting rotation I'd use. And they'd win 50 games.

Kurgan
12-12-2020, 09:56 PM
Anybody but Tre Lyles. I hate him in the same way I hated Jeff Ayres or Bryn Forbes.

BillMc
12-12-2020, 09:59 PM
I am not saying he should start, but LMA DID start this game at PF with Jakob at center. That probably should have been an option in this poll.

That said, I agree it should be DeMar with LMA at the 5

RC_Drunkford
12-12-2020, 10:09 PM
I am not saying he should start, but LMA DID start this game at PF with Jakob at center. That probably should have been an option in this poll.

That said, I agree it should be DeMar with LMA at the 5

You're right, came to my mind as well after I already submitted the poll. Don't think playing both bigs is an option that would work though

BillMc
12-12-2020, 10:13 PM
You're right, came to my mind as well after I already submitted the poll. Don't think playing both bigs is an option that would work though

Yeah, I agree it shouldn't be two bigs. I was just being pedantic. It's late here. :)

DAF86
12-12-2020, 10:13 PM
Pokusevski...wait. :depressed

Mr. Body
12-12-2020, 10:26 PM
I think they'll run Poeltl/LMA until LMA is traded.

jbspurs
12-12-2020, 11:17 PM
Pokusevski...wait. :depressed

He's had few bloopers early in the game. Pop would have pulled him out and send him to back Europe with one way tix.

Seventyniner
12-12-2020, 11:30 PM
I think they'll run Poeltl/LMA until LMA is traded.

Quite possible. I'm pretty sure Poeltl was promised a starting spot, or at least starter-ish minutes, when he signed the contract.

EasyMoney
12-12-2020, 11:32 PM
Demar at the 4. Lamarcus at 5.

Against bigger teams like Lakers, aldridge 4. Poeltl 5. Lyles should've been waived, he serves no purpose.

John B
12-12-2020, 11:46 PM

Agreed. But depends on a bigger matchup. It should be:
White/Murray/Q
Vassell/Mills
Keldon/Lonnie/Diop
Demar/Gay/Trey
Aldridge/Poeltl/Eubanks/Keller

Vassell is the most natural SG in the roster. Vassell/Keldon will be feasting on steals.
Murray is NOT a starting PG. He could benefit with running with Lonnie, Mills, Gay and Poeltl in the 2nd unit

baseline bum
12-12-2020, 11:48 PM
Should have been Wiseman

C-Dub
12-13-2020, 01:06 AM
Minute Mark Of 1st Qtr Player Substitution Below.

12:00 --7:00 --5:00 -----3:00
DJM__DJM___White_Mills
White_White__Mills__LW4
DDR___KJ____KJ____Vassell
Gay___DDR__DDR____KJ
LMA __LMA_Jakob__Jakob

LMA will need to be traded by the trade deadline if Lyles should get minutes this season, if not Vassell may not get his deserved rotation minutes this season. I do still believe that the Vets (LMA, Gay, DDR & Mills) will get multiple DNP- Coaches Decision this season which will open up playing time for Vassell, T-Jones, Luka and Eubanks. Our 2-Way players in QW & K-Diops will also see some limited game action due to Pop giving rotation players certain games off to keep them fresh due to extended back to back scheduled games this condensed season.

Arcadian
12-13-2020, 01:08 AM
Prime Duncan

BackHome
12-13-2020, 01:23 AM
Yeah next draft need to definitely find a starting PF or SF

daslicer
12-13-2020, 01:25 AM
Should have been Wiseman

Klay's injury screwed any chance the Spurs had of getting Wiseman.

daslicer
12-13-2020, 01:25 AM
Yeah next draft need to definitely find a starting PF or SF

That's why we should be rooting for Patty to lead this team to the lottery.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-13-2020, 06:09 AM
Don't think they plan to start DDR at the 4 like in the bubble. Rotations wouldn't work with Gay, Lyles and Samanic all being exclusively 4s. Neither of them can play the 3, or C for that matter, to make the second unit work.

I expect it'll be LMA, with Poeltl getting the early sub and going back in after LMA sits.

In any case, this will be a season where players will sit out a lot of games due to resting and covid, so it's possible most of them will get minutes and a ton of weird rotations will have to be thrown at the wall to see if anything sticks.

jbspurs
12-13-2020, 08:24 AM
I want to see Keldon playing @ 4 with White, Vassell, DDR and LMA

cd021
12-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Don't think they plan to start DDR at the 4 like in the bubble. Rotations wouldn't work with Gay, Lyles and Samanic all being exclusively 4s. Neither of them can play the 3, or C for that matter, to make the second unit work.

I expect it'll be LMA, with Poeltl getting the early sub and going back in after LMA sits.

In any case, this will be a season where players will sit out a lot of games due to resting and covid, so it's possible most of them will get minutes and a ton of weird rotations will have to be thrown at the wall to see if anything sticks.

After Pop started LMA and Jakob together, I'm worried that Murray, White, DDR, LMA, Poeltl will actually be the SL. That's a bad starting lineup with really only White and LMA spacing the floor.

Pop would probably have Aldridge and Jakob start together --like you said--and play the first 5 minutes. He could then sub in Gay at the 7 minute mark and have him play with LMA for a couple of minutes then have Poeltl sub back in. That would mean Aldridge plays around 30 mpg with Poeltl playing ~28 mpg.

Gay and Lyles would probably split most of the remaining 38 minutes a game with DeRozan probably closing close games at the 4 and Samanic getting spot minutes at the 4, here and there.

Atl Spur
12-13-2020, 10:00 AM
DeMar at the 4 puts a ton of pressure on the opponent because of his ball handling / playmaking......

paperboy77
12-13-2020, 10:50 AM

Don't think the vaccine will fix this issue? Being rolled out now.

Mr. Body
12-13-2020, 11:57 AM
Minute Mark Of 1st Qtr Player Substitution Below.

12:00 --7:00 --5:00 -----3:00
DJM__DJM___White_Mills
White_White__Mills__LW4
DDR___KJ____KJ____Vassell
Gay___DDR__DDR____KJ
LMA __LMA_Jakob__Jakob

LMA will need to be traded by the trade deadline if Lyles should get minutes this season, if not Vassell may not get his deserved rotation minutes this season. I do still believe that the Vets (LMA, Gay, DDR & Mills) will get multiple DNP- Coaches Decision this season which will open up playing time for Vassell, T-Jones, Luka and Eubanks. Our 2-Way players in QW & K-Diops will also see some limited game action due to Pop giving rotation players certain games off to keep them fresh due to extended back to back scheduled games this condensed season.

There's no way Trey Lyles should get any significant minutes this season beyond mop up duty. One reason to keep LMA is to just keep Lyles off the floor.

John B
12-13-2020, 05:23 PM
If Wiseman pick was Aldridge plus 11th pick, that could be a bitter pill if we’ve missed on Vassell. I really feel Vassel is a very special player. Great defensive instinct, smooth shot and overall knowledge of the game developing.

tbdog
12-13-2020, 05:32 PM
Lyles has a place in the NBA. Just not a starter. Not in the West at least. Also remember he is rusty. He hasn't played for a long time. Still, bench him.

cd021
12-13-2020, 07:02 PM
Probably, then again its hard to say whether they were seriously considering it on not.

cd021
12-13-2020, 07:10 PM
Lyles has a place in the NBA. Just not a starter. Not in the West at least. Also remember he is rusty. He hasn't played for a long time. Still, bench him.
He isn't as bad as he played, he definitely is rusty after having not played in 9 months. He was mostly fine last season and good the last five games.

Down Under
12-13-2020, 07:13 PM
Johnson has to start IMO.

John B
12-13-2020, 07:29 PM
He isn't as bad as he played, he definitely is rusty after having not played in 9 months. He was mostly fine last season and good the last five games.
His impression to me is that he’s not a gym rat to improve more on his God given skills. A much much poorer version of Diaw who could’ve been multiple all star imo, I mean Diaw.

MultiTroll
12-13-2020, 07:43 PM
Why is Eubanks never mentioned as getting minutes beyond scrub?

Chinook
12-13-2020, 07:58 PM
Lyles unless Sam beats him out. There is literally no other option, and it's not worth discussing.

Dhbsr555
12-13-2020, 10:16 PM
Demar at the 4. Lamarcus at 5.

Against bigger teams like Lakers, aldridge 4. Poeltl 5. Lyles should've been waived, he serves no purpose.

ya lyles sucks

MI21
12-14-2020, 03:22 AM
Prime Duncan

Current Duncan.

TimDunkem
12-14-2020, 06:18 AM
Remember when this entire forum said Lyles was shit when he was with Utah and Denver? How things change when he's our scrub. <3

duncan2k5
12-14-2020, 06:25 AM
LMFAO @ starting DeMar at PF... Dude carried us straight to the lottery as a sf and you wanna put him in a position where he is worse? Secondly, small teams don't win championships... Small ball doesn't work... We need long, versatile players... DeMar vs anthony davis or zion would be laughable... Get this guy off the team already

Rummpd
12-14-2020, 06:30 AM
Poll is off - every game should start DA at PF and JP at center until hopefully the former is traded.

EasyMoney
12-14-2020, 08:40 AM
Poll is off - every game should start DA at PF and JP at center until hopefully the former is traded.

Who is DA?

itzsoweezee
12-14-2020, 11:38 AM
All I want is to see some entertaining basketball. That means White, Keldon, and Vassell have to start. I'd be okay with Lonnie starting in place of one of those.

What i don't want to see is LMA playing the 4 or DJM starting. That's just a recipe for boring basketball. No thanks

itzsoweezee
12-14-2020, 11:41 AM
LMFAO @ starting DeMar at PF... Dude carried us straight to the lottery as a sf and you wanna put him in a position where he is worse? Secondly, small teams don't win championships... Small ball doesn't work... We need long, versatile players... DeMar vs anthony davis or zion would be laughable... Get this guy off the team already

If you think this team is competing for a championship, you might be even more delusional than those MAGA chuds believing Trump won the election

Otherwise, I agree. The optimal outcome would be if the Spurs traded away Demar, but that ship has sailed

John B
12-14-2020, 12:01 PM
Aldridge chucking 3's could be an indicative of Demar starting at 4, and Keldon playing 3. But am I the only one who thinks Aldridge chucking 3's is disgusting? Especially since Aldridge can always punish these young players in the low post. My starter:

White
Vassell (he's the best 3 and D in the roster)
Keldon
Demar
Aldridge

2nd team
Murray (he is not a starter and should not play at the same time with Demar as they both have inconsistent outside range)
Mills
Lonnie/Diop
Gay/Luka
Poeltl/Lyle

3rd team and mop-up minutes
Quinndary
Eubanks

Chinook
12-14-2020, 12:11 PM
I think Pop is going to legit try to make LMA/Poeltl work. My guess is that starting two bigs is his go-to reaction to a bad defensive year. What I hope he realizes is that LMA shooting threes was to make him a more viable center. There's pretty much nothing he could do to be a more viable PF. Poeltl has a lot of pluses, but he has real minuses too, and that shooting isn't even an option for him means he can't play with a second big outside niche match-ups.

I don't think DeRozan starting at PF is going to be an option. I was very dismissive of the non-Lyles/Samanic options, and I still feel that way. I think Pop shouldn't get too married to Trey at the four, because the potential of a guy like Samanic who could shoot, handle and run would fit way better with the down-hill offense he wanted to continue from the bubble. Lyles isn't nearly the drag that some folks are trying to say he is, but he's not a combo-forward. Sam apparently didn't play well, but he's the only guy on the roster with the upside to unseat the meh-but-not-horrible play Lyles gives.

I don't think KBD is anywhere near that level. I like him as an option later in the year if the roster gets cleared up from a trade. But I'd focus on having him learn the system and fill in cracks this year and take advantage of his RFA status next off-season to lock him into a long-term deal with a firmer projection of his rotational spot. Depending on how the d-league bubble situation works out, the team might be able to keep him and/or Weatherspoon "up" with the big club the whole year. If he runs out of two-way days, he's a candidate for the 15th spot later in the season. But best I can see him doing is being a back-up forward for some games down the stretch.

Dejounte
12-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Aldridge chucking 3's could be an indicative of Demar starting at 4, and Keldon playing 3. But am I the only one who thinks Aldridge chucking 3's is disgusting? Especially since Aldridge can always punish these young players in the low post. My starter:

White
Vassell (he's the best 3 and D in the roster)
Keldon
Demar
Aldridge

2nd team
Murray (he is not a starter and should not play at the same time with Demar as they both have inconsistent outside range)
Mills
Lonnie
Gay/Diop
Poeltl/Luka

3rd team and mop-up minutes
Quinndary
Eubanks
Keller

Aldridge going on the low block kills the pace and ball movement. Maybe in the playoffs, sure. But if the guys are trying to play a certain way, Aldridge has to reduce the number of times he's going in the post.

Dejounte
12-14-2020, 12:26 PM
I think Pop is going to legit try to make LMA/Poeltl work. My guess is that starting two bigs is his go-to reaction to a bad defensive year. What I hope he realizes is that LMA shooting threes was to make him a more viable center. There's pretty much nothing he could do to be a more viable PF. Poeltl has a lot of pluses, but he has real minuses too, and that shooting isn't even an option for him means he can't play with a second big outside niche match-ups.

I don't think DeRozan starting at PF is going to be an option. I was very dismissive of the non-Lyles/Samanic options, and I still feel that way. I think Pop shouldn't get too married to Trey at the four, because the potential of a guy like Samanic who could shoot, handle and run would fit way better with the down-hill offense he wanted to continue from the bubble. Lyles isn't nearly the drag that some folks are trying to say he is, but he's not a combo-forward. Sam apparently didn't play well, but he's the only guy on the roster with the upside to unseat the meh-but-not-horrible play Lyles gives.

I don't think KBD is anywhere near that level. I like him as an option later in the year if the roster gets cleared up from a trade. But I'd focus on having him learn the system and fill in cracks this year and take advantage of his RFA status next off-season to lock him into a long-term deal with a firmer projection of his rotational spot. Depending on how the d-league bubble situation works out, the team might be able to keep him and/or Weatherspoon "up" with the big club the whole year. If he runs out of two-way days, he's a candidate for the 15th spot later in the season. But best I can see him doing is being a back-up forward for some games down the stretch.

KBD was on track to have the same number of minutes Vassell played. That's without any injuries in front of him. I think Pop sees something in practice.

Very bold to still stand by your LMA/Poetl line-up after being destroyed defensively by quick guards and forwards who shoot 3s in the Thunder game. Doesn't make sense at all.

NASpurs
12-14-2020, 12:51 PM

You can't say that you're going to play more up tempo this year and start Gay/LMA/Poeltl or even LMA/Poeltl unless he's gone truly senile... which I wouldn't doubt at this point.

R. DeMurre
12-14-2020, 02:52 PM
Current Duncan.

:lol :toast

Dejounte
12-14-2020, 02:53 PM
https://twitter.com/HectorLedesmaTV/status/1338565927009472519?s=19

They didn't even practice much with that line-up.

Y'all are overreacting as usual.

Preseason. We talkin' about preseason.

Dejounte
12-14-2020, 02:53 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1338564324684599296?s=19

https://twitter.com/HectorLedesmaTV/status/1338561541575225345?s=19

R. DeMurre
12-14-2020, 02:54 PM
Aldridge going on the low block kills the pace and ball movement. Maybe in the playoffs, sure. But if the guys are trying to play a certain way, Aldridge has to reduce the number of times he's going in the post.

What's with the adoption of Drew's pic? I haven't seen him around in a while. Hoping he's not sick..

And what about Zeus? Haven't seen him in a while either, after he posted that he had covid.

Dejounte
12-14-2020, 02:54 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1338566128486985731?s=19

https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1338562687668772865?s=19

Dejounte
12-14-2020, 02:56 PM
What's with the adoption of Drew's pic? I haven't seen him around in a while. Hoping he's not sick..

And what about Zeus? Haven't seen him in a while either, after he posted that he had covid.

TheDrewShow doesn't get sick with COVID. COVID gets sick with TheDrewShow.

I don't know what's going on with ZeusWillJudge either. Hope he's okay.

TD 21
12-14-2020, 03:10 PM

Two bigs has always been his prefernance and he was probably (foolishly) emboldened by the Lakers winning the championship.

Watch him try in vain to forefeed it for the first 4-5 minutes of each half in the hopes that it'll stabilize the defense and them struggle mightily due to Aldridge's inability to defend "PF's" and the inevitable poor spacing from the dreaded DeRozan, Murray, Poeltl trio.

The only positive is it'll relegate Lyles to a more appropriate role as 4th big.

You can't say that you're going to play more up tempo this year and start Gay/LMA/Poeltl or even LMA/Poeltl unless he's gone truly senile... which I wouldn't doubt at this point.

Pace doesn't just mean pushing the ball, but making quicker (.5) dribble/pass/shoot decisions in the half court and the ony other viable alternative is Lyles. People read way too much into a 7 game (DeRozan sat the 8th) sample size in a unique environment.

RC_Drunkford
12-14-2020, 05:28 PM

there you are. I was wondering where you was hiding at when Reports came out that your lover nephew messed up the Clippers team culture :lmao

spurraider21
12-14-2020, 05:48 PM
Chinook (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) is right. looks like pop is pretty set in his ways... Aldridge and Poeltl are going to start. aldridge shooting more 3's instead of getting muh touches from the elbow should be a good thing, though. still, i'd much rather have him as the center in a pick and pop/roll situation.

with that said, we dont really have any great options to start at the 4 if LMA was the 5. it would basically be between Lyles and Gay, and Gay is best served coming off the bench, while Lyles is just bad

you'd hope that your first round pick from a season ago would be ready to start... but alas he is not

Mugen
12-14-2020, 05:59 PM
The Spurs have plenty of options to start at the 4 that isn't LMA/Lyles/Gay but the old man is too stubborn/senile to make the commitment. The answer to OPs question is Derozan btw but it really doesn't matter when you have the worst coach in the NBA at the helm :lol

Coach X
12-14-2020, 06:26 PM
The two bigs starting 5 is not written in stone yet. I understand the Pop-reaction-to-a-bad-defensive-year" argument and I look at it as a classic Popovich reaction as well... but it's been just a preseason game.

Three bigs, two guards, small ball... No fixed first or second units... I believe the coach just wanted to try a bunch of line-ups and observe players in different scenarios. That's a usual preseason exercise for Popovich.

Regarding the poll, Trey Liles is the best fit: the only decent defensive option at the PF, he doesn't need too many shots, his range benefits the spacing and most of all, he doesn't have any big hole on his game. Rudy Gay is a terrible defender and his best skill, scoring, is not really needed in the starting 5. Keldon/DeRozan could play the PF eventually but they can't start at PF IMO, because of size and its consecuences over the team defense and rebounding.

D White and K Johson's injuries won't allow Popovich to run his preffered rotation until the start of the RS. I expect more experiments in both games vs HOU.

rankingtear
12-14-2020, 06:44 PM
Lyles covers LA weakness in Rebounding and Rim Protection it's the most logical play if you are starting LA. Derozan + Aldridge is a layup line.

NASpurs
12-14-2020, 06:57 PM
Two bigs has always been his prefernance and he was probably (foolishly) emboldened by the Lakers winning the championship.

Watch him try in vain to forefeed it for the first 4-5 minutes of each half in the hopes that it'll stabilize the defense and them struggle mightily due to Aldridge's inability to defend "PF's" and the inevitable poor spacing from the dreaded DeRozan, Murray, Poeltl trio.

The only positive is it'll relegate Lyles to a more appropriate role as 4th big.

Pace doesn't just mean pushing the ball, but making quicker (.5) dribble/pass/shoot decisions in the half court and the ony other viable alternative is Lyles. People read way too much into a 7 game (DeRozan sat the 8th) sample size in a unique environment.

We don’t have the players with the necessary IQ and maturity to play that style of game so yeah they should be pushing the ball.

And some people here need to stop putting Lyles as the second coming of Diaw or Horry. The guy sucks.

RC_Drunkford
12-15-2020, 06:27 AM
I don’t get it why some people here act like Lyles is the only option. First of all he’s not a good defender, he’s average at best. Besides that PF is not a strong position in this league. Do y’all really think DeRozan can’t guard players like Royce O‘Neal, PJ Tucker, Jaymichael Green, Marcus Morris or Maxi Kleber? As long as it ain’t Zion or AD there’s no reason to think Lyles will do a better job guarding these players than DeRozan. On the offensive end a line up like that should create a lot of missmatches.

As far as starting Poeltl and Aldridge: That won’t work. Teams will figure out quickly that the only people who can shoot the 3 well enough are White and LA. They could just play zone and the Spurs won’t score at all with Poeltl/DeRozan/Murray on the floor. DeRozan at the 4 should be the norm.

spurraider21
12-15-2020, 06:33 PM
that samanic isnt ready is an indictment on the process imo

Chinook
12-15-2020, 10:59 PM
that samanic isnt ready is an indictment on the process imo

The process of teaching young players to develop role-player skills first has been gone basically since Kawhi was drafted. All of the d-league stints starting with Anderson have been for the guys to show how much raw talent they had. That's good to a point. I think it helped White gain confidence and Forbes get enough of a floor game to survive as a shooter. But I don't think it helped Anderson, Murray, Walker or Metu much. The jury is out on Johnson since he did shoot really well from three after not doing it much in college, but he was awful at shooting in Austin, so eh?

I can understand if last year was mostly about Sam working on his body. There definitely seems to be real improvement there. He's not completely skill-less either, so his development time in that area isn't going to be that long. But I kinda wish that they'd just focused on having him shoot threes first and then the other stuff later. He doesn't even have to be a sniper to knock out Lyles. He just needs to show he can knock down open shots. Then he can learn the rest on the job. With Gay and small-ball, Luka could have a nice 12- to 18-minute role as a starter who comes out for most of the half. It just doesn't seem like that was their priority, and I don't get the point in taking a developmental prospect if you don't have plans for him to be a legit contributor while on his rookie deal. It wasn't like there were no other players to take at 19...

RC_Drunkford
12-16-2020, 08:31 AM
where are all the Trey Lyles fans at now? :lol