PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Sanders makes surprise return

usckk
11-10-2005, 01:27 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA111005.7C.BKNspurs.notebook.85b9396.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Melvin Sanders was sitting at home in Oklahoma City on Wednesday, debating whether to return to the minor leagues or seek a more lucrative contract playing in Europe.

The Spurs called with a better option.

By the end of the day, Sanders was standing on the floor at Bobcats Arena — a quick 1,100-mile jaunt from his house — wearing a No. 34 Spurs jersey.

The Spurs signed Sanders, a 6-foot-5 swingman who was among the team's final training-camp cuts, to a non-guaranteed contract for the league minimum, pro-rated for 78 games. He made his NBA debut in the Spurs' victory Wednesday against Charlotte with two rebounds in four minutes.

With Brent Barry out with a lower-back injury and Manu Ginobili playing with a bruised right quadriceps, the Spurs had Sanders fly in Wednesday. They did not intend to sign him until today at the earliest but changed those plans when Michael Finley was scratched an hour before tip-off with tightness in his groin.

"It turned out to be a fortuitous act," coach Gregg Popovich said.

Sanders spent the past two seasons in the CBA but had yet to decide where to play this season.

"You don't expect to be called up this early," Sanders said, "but it's a pleasant surprise."

The Spurs signed Sanders, in part, because of their familiarity with him. He played on their summer-league team and impressed the coaching staff with his work ethic during the exhibition season.

"I know some plays," he said, "so I shouldn't be totally lost when I get out there."

Sanders also knows his future with the team is anything but certain. Barry and Finley might not be out long; they are eligible to come off the inactive list at any time.

The Spurs also cut Sanders at the end of training camp because they thought he needed to further develop his skills.

"I'm just going to play hard and see what happens from there," he said.

Barry on the mend: The results of Barry's MRI gave the Spurs hope his back injury isn't serious, though Popovich thinks Barry probably will be out one to two weeks.

Barry was injured after jumping for a rebound in the second quarter of Monday's victory in Chicago. He has not had previous trouble with his back, which began to loosen up after the game.

"I just landed wrong and couldn't stand up," Barry said. "That's never a good thing if you're playing basketball.

"I feel better the last day and a half here, and I just hope I can keep making progress."

New rule beneficial: Had the NBA not changed its policy regarding teams' inactive lists, the Spurs probably would have played Wednesday's game with only 10 players in uniform.

In previous years, players had to spend a minimum of five games on the injured list. The Spurs aren't sure whether either Barry or Finley will be out that long, so they probably would have left them on the active roster.

The new inactive list allows teams to change its roster from game to game with no minimum. Sean Marks joined Sanders on the active roster for Wednesday's game.

Briefly: Rasho Nesterovic earned some praise from Popovich after he had four points, two rebounds and a block in the game's closing minutes. ... Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace, who was listed as doubtful after suffering a mild concussion against Utah on Monday, had 15 points in 33 minutes. ... Tim Duncan missed only his third free throws in 24 attempts this season.

velik_m
11-10-2005, 03:02 AM
Does this mean i get my vBookie? :)

GoSpurs21
11-10-2005, 07:42 AM
I guess this means all the useless ranting about Holt not wanting to pay a minimum salary is pretty much bunk. Not like most of us didnt already come to that conclusion anyway.

DesiSpur_21
11-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Does this mean i get my vBookie? :)

I too am hoping Kori will consider this (although I'd get 100 vbucks :lol )

ploto
11-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Rasho Nesterovic earned some praise from Popovich after he had four points, two rebounds and a block in the game's closing minutes.
:)

I know it just killed Johnny Ludden to write this.

angel_luv
11-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Briefly: Rasho Nesterovic earned some praise from Popovich after he had four points, two rebounds and a block in the game's closing minutes.

That's what I'm talking about! :elephant Welll done, honey! :makeout

Hahaha, Ploto!

Welcome Melvin.

Keep feeling better Brent!

timvp
11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I guess this means all the useless ranting about Holt not wanting to pay a minimum salary is pretty much bunk. Not like most of us didnt already come to that conclusion anyway.

I guess all of us asking for the Spurs to please sign a 14th man in case a swingman or two gets injured were right on. Don't worry, Sanders will be cut as soon as Barry and Finley are healthy again. Holt will not have sell a tractor.

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Seeing as how Sanders is on a non-guaranteed deal I guess that means you don't have a point.

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I guess all of us asking for the Spurs to please sign a 14th man in case a swingman or two gets injured were right on. Don't worry, Sanders will be cut as soon as Barry and Finley are healthy again. Holt will not have sell a tractor.

Yeah, it took 2 of the 4 Spurs swingmen to go down in order for the Spurs to bring in a rookie on a non-guaranteed deal. Wow.

Plus you have Manu playing when he should be resting.

Bruno
11-10-2005, 03:37 PM
We should made a vbookie : "When Sanders will be waived ?"
I bet on Nov 28.

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Sanders played what, 5 minutes last night? TP is playing 40+ minutes, NVE is starting at the 2 and Manu is forced to play.

Thanks, Holt Cat.

leemajors
11-10-2005, 04:47 PM
marcus who do you prefer as an owner - holt or benson? just curious.

veronicamae
11-10-2005, 04:48 PM
*panics and runs home to add Sanders to NBA Live 06 roster*

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 04:56 PM
marcus who do you prefer as an owner - holt or benson? just curious.

Benson...if he brings his team to SA permanently.

leemajors
11-10-2005, 04:58 PM
really? the only good thing i can ever recall saints ownership doing is extending mcallister. besides that they have done little to ensure a playoff appearance or even really improve their team.

Kip Fanatic
11-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Sanders played what, 5 minutes last night? TP is playing 40+ minutes, NVE is starting at the 2 and Manu is forced to play.

Thanks, Holt Cat.

Its always easier to spend someone else's money.

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 05:15 PM
What good is coming from Holt limiting the team like this? Are you a basketball fan?

Kip Fanatic
11-10-2005, 05:20 PM
What good is coming from Holt limiting the team like this? Are you a basketball fan?

Two stupid questions, but I'll answer.
#1. Holt has helped the team win three championships in seven years and is well on his way to get four in eight.

#2. Umm...yes. I do log onto Spurstalk.com quite often, which might make me a Spurs fan. What do you think clown?

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 05:24 PM
1. Holt has not limited the team to 4 swingmen before. Giving Holt credit for those championships is absurd. About the best you can say is that he hadn't interfered much until now. Moreover, the moves Holt is forcing now aren't exactly conducive to helping the team win this season. Quoting 3 titles in 7 years is about as good of a response as you would expect from a fan who cheers for an owner who'd rather avoid a little lux tax than do whatever he can to help the team win.

2. Fans don't cheer for ownership when it forces dumb basketball moves for the sake of pinching a few pennies.

Get a clue, assclown.

Kip Fanatic
11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
1. Holt has not limited the team to 4 swingmen before. Giving Holt credit for those championships is absurd. About the best you can say is that he hadn't interfered much until now. Moreover, the moves Holt is forcing now aren't exactly conducive to helping the team win this season. Quoting 3 titles in 7 years is about as good of a response as you would expect from a fan who cheers for an owner who'd rather avoid a little lux tax than do whatever he can to help the team win.

2. Fans don't cheer for ownership when it forces dumb basketball moves for the sake of pinching a few pennies.

I'm starting to wonder about you. I don't see why you are complaining. You have no idea how many franchises would like to have three trophies. You also don't seem to know what all entails in owning a NBA franchise. I'm not saying I do, but really none of us know. The only one who knows is someone who has owned one or owns one currently.

To say this and that about ownership of a team when you have never done it is stupid. I am not here cheering Peter Holt on. I am amazed how he has help put this team together while being under the cap and yet winning three titles. That says a lot about him, but even more about the front office. I not stupid enough to rag on a man who has more money than millions of people will ever have. That's just stupid. He must be doing something right if he is in the position he's in and you're not.

Get a clue, assclown.

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Why is it hard to understand that management is to credit for those championships (along with a little lottery luck)?

You also realize that Holt is a member of the Lucky Sperm Club, do you not?

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Also, if we can't critique the organization and point out when they are making some rather dumb basketball moves, wtf is the point of this forum? This isn't an official part of the organization. If you want that, go to spurs.com and jack off to it all day long. Thanks.

Kip Fanatic
11-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Why is it so difficult to understand that this team owes you nothing?

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Sure it does. It owes its fans its best attempt to succeed on the court. It also owes the community that as well, seeing as how Bexar County gave it a rent free facility and all of the revenues with it to boot.

Kip Fanatic
11-10-2005, 05:55 PM
Sure it does. It owes its fans its best attempt to succeed on the court. It also owes the community that as well, seeing as how Bexar County gave it a rent free facility and all of the revenues with it to boot.

Yeah. Sure. In your eyes and maybe a few others, not picking up a 5th singman is a "dumb basketball move." You and those few others don't know yet though. So critizing isn't really needed at this time.

By the way, because you say things like jack off and what not doesn't make you tough Marcus. It only makes you sound even more stupid. Just thought I'd let you know. Also, if you were to be standing in front of me you wouldn't even think about saying things like that to me. I guarantee it.

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah. Sure. In your eyes and maybe a few others, not picking up a 5th singman is a "dumb basketball move." You and those few others don't know yet though. So critizing isn't really needed at this time.

Sure it is. It took 2 guys going down and another playing hurt for them to sign a guy to a non-guaranteed deal. So instead of perhaps being able to go with someone more experienced, like say a Glenn Robinson or Devin Brown, the Spurs end up with a guy who's amenable to getting non-guaranteed pay.

By the way, because you say things like jack off and what not doesn't make you tough Marcus. It only makes you sound even more stupid. Just thought I'd let you know. Also, if you were to be standing in front of me you wouldn't even think about saying things like that to me. I guarantee it.

Oooh. You sound so tough.

BigVee
11-10-2005, 06:10 PM
MB,
I am not as well versed as you are regarding all the moves the Spurs have made as an organization through the years, yet it seems to me that there are other owners and GM's that have been all too eager to throw money at just about anyone who comes along in hopes of winning a championship. The Spurs on the other hand have actually figured out at way to win..knowing full well that getting TD was a gigantic piece of that, but other teams have very good players without this kind of success. Maybe Holt is a tightwad I don't know, but it is hard to argue with results. I think once TD retires this great ride is going to end anyway. I do see your point that while TD is here the Spurs should make every attempt to surround him with whatever players necessary to win. I am just not sure it all boils down to money.

leemajors
11-10-2005, 06:14 PM
no team can stay on top forever. spurs have already had an amazingly competitive run for well over a decade.

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Maybe Holt lucked out with Pop running things and had been content to keep his hands off until recently.

The only way it doesn't revert back to "money" is if Holt feels that paying the lux tax will have some political implications for him among other owners.

Marcus Bryant
11-10-2005, 06:16 PM
no team can stay on top forever. spurs have already had an amazingly competitive run for well over a decade.

So we should be happy while the team starts to cut back while it has one of the top 20 players of all time in his prime on the team? I mean, we are fans, right? This is a fan forum, right?

BigVee
11-10-2005, 06:23 PM
That is the part of your argument I do buy. Duncan will only play so long. This opportunity with a player of his ability may never come again.

ploto
11-10-2005, 06:48 PM
It is my understanding that what they pay these non-guaranteed guys right now doesn't even matter. The luxury tax will be calculated on June 30, 2006.

j-6
11-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Benson...if he brings his team to SA permanently.

Seriously?

spurster
11-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Sanders = Championship

Quasar
11-10-2005, 09:53 PM
Briefly: Rasho Nesterovic earned some praise from Popovich after he had four points, two rebounds and a block in the game's closing minutes. ...

Every time Popovich praises someone, it normally means he's trying to get rid of him... e.g. praising Malik, praising Nazr, praising Rasho, praising Brent, praising Beno...

It's enough to turn one off compliments for a long time :)

ChumpDumper
11-10-2005, 09:57 PM
He's a very special guy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2005110930

Oh shit -- he was talking about Duncan!

Must be that enormous contract!

T Park
11-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Duncan is obviously on the trading block.

Gotta cut his salary too ya know :rolleyes

leemajors
11-11-2005, 12:00 AM
So we should be happy while the team starts to cut back while it has one of the top 20 players of all time in his prime on the team? I mean, we are fans, right? This is a fan forum, right?

i think the spurs strat is a decent one. they have their man guys locked up for a bit and it should be easier to put pieces around them. in major sports "dynasties" never last too long- i for one am glad about this run they are having being an elite team. the patriots and the spurs have taken a hard line with some free agents that will probably be better in the long run than overpaying everyone all the time. like it or not, in the salary cap era cap management is key to long term success.