PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ferry returning to the spurs FO according to WOJ

Degoat
12-18-2020, 01:30 PM
Interesting, he’s been out of the league for sometime because of racists comments I think

phxspurfan
12-18-2020, 01:34 PM
Good now bring back Derrick Dial, Mark Bryant and Vinny Del Negro

NASpurs
12-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Leetonidas
12-18-2020, 01:37 PM
Lol... Didn't he say the white fans didn't come to hawks games because of black people or something? Surprised Pop hired him :lol

FlAVaK
12-18-2020, 01:41 PM

Wow, go Coyote go!

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-18-2020, 01:46 PM
Good hire.

BacktoBasics
12-18-2020, 01:50 PM
Lol... Didn't he say the white fans didn't come to hawks games because of black people or something? Surprised Pop hired him :lol

No he didn’t. He stated what someone else said and sjw railroaded him.

mo7888
12-18-2020, 01:51 PM

I'm not sure but his problem with Atlanta stemmed from his reading of a scouting report on a conference call in which the scout wrote something like 'he has a little African in him' referring to Luol Deng's game. Im pretty sure he consulted for nola after that.

rudwick
12-18-2020, 01:51 PM
Interesting, he’s been out of the league for sometime because of racists comments I think

I think what he did was read, in a staff meeting, a scouting report written by someone else which contained a racist comment. That’s the part I remember anyway.

justinandimcool
12-18-2020, 01:53 PM
with the cap sheets looking the way they do the next few years this is great news tbh

PrimeMinister
12-18-2020, 01:55 PM
he's had work since the Deng thing and I think most people realize 6 years later what was said and what the context was. don't think it's really necessary to bring up or spend time discussing.

more enlightening from the standpoint of Brian Wright, the timing of this is kinda weird to me and I feel like it's not exactly an endorsement of him.

mo7888
12-18-2020, 01:56 PM
he's had work since the Deng thing and I think most people realize 6 years later what was said and what the context was. don't think it's really necessary to bring up or spend time discussing.

more enlightening from the standpoint of Brian Wright, the timing of this is kinda weird to me and I feel like it's not exactly an endorsement of him.

I'm wondering about where Wright fits (if at all) going forward too..

gambit1990
12-18-2020, 02:04 PM
unexpected but welcomed.

timvp
12-18-2020, 02:11 PM
Wow, go Coyote go!

https://media.tenor.com/images/87f750aca7790f888a926873ecce9af5/tenor.gif

lmbebo
12-18-2020, 02:13 PM
I'm wondering about where Wright fits (if at all) going forward too..

not sure. If he's responsible for White, Johnson, Devin, then he has a role. But some of the free agent signings/trades have been a disaster.

baseline bum
12-18-2020, 02:15 PM
https://i.ibb.co/YXDtYVV/unnamed.jpg

Mugen
12-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Hopefully he recommends a coaching change :tu

timvp
12-18-2020, 02:18 PM
Good news. Last offseason turned out to be a disaster. Trading away the guy who ends up being the most valuable player on the roster to sign someone who obviously wasn't completely on board with signing. And then since that disaster, it seems like the FO has been gun-shy and didn't do anything even though making a trade this past offseason was the obvious thing to do.

So, yeah, welcome back Danny Ferry. It seems like the FO could someone who doesn't have that Bertans/Morris cloud hanging over him.

And, hey, the Coyote got a promotion, too. He deserves it after all these years of service :tu

timvp
12-18-2020, 02:26 PM
Seriously, though, it looks like the Kayode is likely a Brian Wright hire. They worked together with the Pistons for a couple years.

Robz4000
12-18-2020, 02:30 PM
Seriously, though, it looks like the Kayode is likely a Brian Wright hire. They worked together with the Pistons for a couple years.

:vomit:

timvp
12-18-2020, 02:36 PM
Tbh, sounds like a good guy to bring on board with the NBA about to switch back to allowing draft picks out of high school.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ekyrs0cVoAUce9t.jpg

Mr. Body
12-18-2020, 02:42 PM

Lol. SJW. What a fuck up you are.

Leetonidas
12-18-2020, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure but his problem with Atlanta stemmed from his reading of a scouting report on a conference call in which the scout wrote something like 'he has a little African in him' referring to Luol Deng's game. Im pretty sure he consulted for nola after that.

Ah indeed. I think I'm mixing up two different things thanks for clarifying :tu

phxspurfan
12-18-2020, 02:45 PM

If so thats pretty stupid. All Americans love them some live sports

PrimeMinister
12-18-2020, 02:47 PM
June 2019- Spurs select Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson. July 2019 Brian Wright is elevated to GM from Assistant. Wright certainly had a say in things at that point and I think we all understand KJ was a great pick and the jury is still out on Luka while some probably already think it was a terrible pick.

Davis Bertans is then traded to Washington, Marcus Morris bails out on whatever agreement was in place. We sign Demarre Carroll. From the standpoint of offseasons where there wasn't much flexibility to do anything it was pretty disastrous.

I'm of the opinion this offseason that there really probably wasn't much on the table for our vets, no one currently in contention wants to add Demar or LA and the fringe contenders don't want to part with anything of value to bring them in. That being said, with the packages offered for players like Jrue Holiday, you have to wonder how active we were in trade talks. So now, after the FA period is over and the trade market is cold until the deadline, we add an established NBA executive who has plenty of gas in the GM tank. I think RC and Pop gave Brian 2 years at the helm to see what he could do, realized he is not someone to make deals or rebuild a franchise, and brought in someone who can. With the cap space they have in the summer of 2021, you want someone who can see through the trees and understands the landscape of things better than what Wright has shown.

Mr. Body
12-18-2020, 02:50 PM
June 2019- Spurs select Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson. July 2019 Brian Wright is elevated to GM from Assistant. Wright certainly had a say in things at that point and I think we all understand KJ was a great pick and the jury is still out on Luka while some probably already think it was a terrible pick.

Davis Bertans is then traded to Washington, Marcus Morris bails out on whatever agreement was in place. We sign Demarre Carroll. From the standpoint of offseasons where there wasn't much flexibility to do anything it was pretty disastrous.

I'm of the opinion this offseason that there really probably wasn't much on the table for our vets, no one currently in contention wants to add Demar or LA and the fringe contenders don't want to part with anything of value to bring them in. That being said, with the packages offered for players like Jrue Holiday, you have to wonder how active we were in trade talks. So now, after the FA period is over and the trade market is cold until the deadline, we add an established NBA executive who has plenty of gas in the GM tank. I think RC and Pop gave Brian 2 years at the helm to see what he could do, realized he is not someone to make deals or rebuild a franchise, and brought in someone who can. With the cap space they have in the summer of 2021, you want someone who can see through the trees and understands the landscape of things better than what Wright has shown.

I think the Spurs nailed the draft this year. Tre Jones is going to be very solid, esp on a squad with only one other PG-type player. As for trading DDR and LMA, nothing was likely going to happen until after the season started and teams saw where they were at. This point, I see Boston and Brooklyn or even the Hornets as potential LMA destinations and that wasn't the case a month ago.

PrimeMinister
12-18-2020, 03:02 PM
I think the Spurs nailed the draft this year. Tre Jones is going to be very solid, esp on a squad with only one other PG-type player. As for trading DDR and LMA, nothing was likely going to happen until after the season started and teams saw where they were at. This point, I see Boston and Brooklyn or even the Hornets as potential LMA destinations and that wasn't the case a month ago.

Devin Vassell was about the biggest lay up of a pick that you'll find, and would say ditto for Tre Jones despite the log jam at PG. Credit for taking them, yes, but I think anyone would have.

Boston made sense prior to the Thompson signing, I don't see them having any interest now and if LA is noticeably declining defensively his market gets even smaller. Nesmith is about the absolute best return we could get for LA at this point IMO. Charlotte has nothing of value and while brooklyn has some interesting pieces we'd have to take on some shitty money to get someone like Jarret Allen who's probably not even worth it and we could pursue in RFA anyway.

TDomination
12-18-2020, 03:18 PM
This happened in 2014

A letter from co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. recommends that Ferry resign or be fired. Gearon cites Ferry telling the ownership group that Deng "has a little African in him."
His June 12 letter to co-owner Bruce Levenson said Ferry went on to say, "Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would have a nice store out front and sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back."
Added Gearon: "Ferry completed the racial slur by describing the player (and impliedly all persons of African descent) as a two-faced liar and cheat."

Ferry apologized Tuesday but said he was only repeating what he had heard about Deng.
"In regards to the insensitive remarks that were used during our due diligence process, I was repeating comments that were gathered from numerous sources during background conversations and scouting about different players," Ferry said in a statement released by the team.
"I repeated those comments during a telephone conversation reviewing the draft and free agency process. Those words do not reflect my views, or words that I would use to describe an individual and I certainly regret it. I apologize to those I offended and to Luol, who I reached out to Monday morning."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/11493233/atlanta-hawks-discipline-general-manager-danny-ferry-racist-comments

Spurtacular
12-18-2020, 03:27 PM
Hawks helped to sabotage the presidential election.

phxspurfan
12-18-2020, 03:32 PM
Jarret Allen

young Javale Mcgee... hard pass

PrimeMinister
12-18-2020, 03:40 PM
young Javale Mcgee... hard pass

This is what we have on the table for LA. Good reason we aren't taking him+salary to make it happen.

Gun to my head I think LA is more likely to be on the buyout market than he is to actually be traded.

Drom John
12-18-2020, 03:42 PM
Middle Georgia here, and Hawks are my #2 team.

1) Ferry is arguing in a phone call to the seven Hawks owners, that they sign Luol Deng. Ferry reads from a scouting reporting from the Cavaliers:
2) Plurality owner Bruce Levenson, email to other owners that his "theory is that the black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent black fans to build a signficant season ticket base." When this came out, Levenson sold his shares.
3) Minority Michael Gearon, who disliked Levenson, and by extension Ferry, openly "railroaded" Ferry. One, recording the comments. Then giving an edited version to the press. Then asking the NBA to force Ferry's resignation.

cd98
12-18-2020, 03:43 PM
I guess we won't be signing any free agents from Africa.

rastaspur
12-18-2020, 03:45 PM
Hawks helped to sabotage the presidential election.

Snowflake

timvp
12-18-2020, 03:48 PM
This happened in 2014

A letter from co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. recommends that Ferry resign or be fired. Gearon cites Ferry telling the ownership group that Deng "has a little African in him."
His June 12 letter to co-owner Bruce Levenson said Ferry went on to say, "Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would have a nice store out front and sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back."
Added Gearon: "Ferry completed the racial slur by describing the player (and impliedly all persons of African descent) as a two-faced liar and cheat."

Ferry apologized Tuesday but said he was only repeating what he had heard about Deng.
"In regards to the insensitive remarks that were used during our due diligence process, I was repeating comments that were gathered from numerous sources during background conversations and scouting about different players," Ferry said in a statement released by the team.
"I repeated those comments during a telephone conversation reviewing the draft and free agency process. Those words do not reflect my views, or words that I would use to describe an individual and I certainly regret it. I apologize to those I offended and to Luol, who I reached out to Monday morning."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/11493233/atlanta-hawks-discipline-general-manager-danny-ferry-racist-comments

The way I've heard it explained is that Ferry was reading directly off of a scouting report from a scouting service multiple teams use. Ferry himself disagreed with that scouting report on Deng and actively tried to sign Deng. An investigation into the matter backed up Ferry's claim. Deng and his agent also came to Ferry's defense because they both knew Ferry was trying to sign him so they could confirm his story was legit.

The Hawks ownership situation around that time was messy so there was a lot of backstabbing and leaking going on so Ferry should have been smarter than read out something so inflammatory ... but I 100% believe his side of the story. Ferry wasn't blameless because he shouldn't have read that out loud on a conference call during the middle of an ownership squabble but he's a good guy by all accounts and those words weren't his.

Floyd Pacquiao
12-18-2020, 03:49 PM
This happened in 2014

:lol

BackHome
12-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Good hire always liked Ferry I think he is a great addition

baseline bum
12-18-2020, 04:27 PM
Snowflake

Yeah GOP needs polling places shut down in black areas, not opened. Can see why they're bitter about the Hawks opening their arena to the community for early voting.

Trill Clinton
12-18-2020, 04:30 PM

wrong. he used a racial slur when talking about luol deng and generalized Africans. I'm all for second chances so hopefully he learned his lesson.

Rummpd
12-18-2020, 05:50 PM
Can only upgrade this absolute fail of a FO

tbdog
12-18-2020, 05:57 PM

It's pretty sad what happened to him. He was a business man and the season ticket holders were White. White people were spending more on tickets. Then at the games it was full of Black people and the music was caterered to them. He wanted to know why is that.

PhantomDashCam
12-18-2020, 06:09 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1339999219575341057?s=20

For a more detailed breakdown:

https://austin.gleague.nba.com/news/spurs-announce-basketball-operations-staff-additions-promotions/

Seventyniner
12-18-2020, 06:58 PM
wrong. he used a racial slur when talking about luol deng and generalized Africans. I'm all for second chances so hopefully he learned his lesson.

The way I read the story, it was actually a scout who wrote those words. Ferry just made the mistake of reading that scout's comment out loud on a conference call. The sentiment wasn't Ferry's own.

itzsoweezee
12-18-2020, 07:01 PM
If this will help facilitate the White extension, I'm on board. I don't understand what's taking so long.

NickiRasgo
12-18-2020, 08:12 PM
Well, the Spurs won't competing anyway this season but good to see that they're upgrading their front-office. Kinda wished that Sean Marks still with the team.

paperboy77
12-18-2020, 08:15 PM

Not sure why the surprise. I'm sure Pop got a little racist bone in him. Hell he supports racist ass Biden!!!!!!

Mr. Body
12-18-2020, 08:19 PM
Devin Vassell was about the biggest lay up of a pick that you'll find, and would say ditto for Tre Jones despite the log jam at PG. Credit for taking them, yes, but I think anyone would have.

Why was he drafted #11, then? And why was Jones where he was?

timvp
12-18-2020, 08:20 PM
If this will help facilitate the White extension, I'm on board. I don't understand what's taking so long.

Extensions for players of White's caliber don't happen until the final day. I'd be surprised to hear anything before then.

tonight...you
12-18-2020, 08:21 PM
Not sure why the surprise. I'm sure Pop got a little racist bone in him. Hell he supports racist ass Biden!!!!!!
Lol, you say things.

gambit1990
12-18-2020, 08:25 PM
so

gambit1990
12-18-2020, 08:26 PM
someone post his track record. too long ago for me to remember what exactly he did and where.

timtonymanu
12-18-2020, 08:36 PM
Was Ferry really that great back then? All he did was surround LeBron with guys who couldn't deliver when it mattered.

But it's too far back for me to remember.

DPG21920
12-18-2020, 09:20 PM
Anyone is better than Pop, RC & Wright at the moment. Someone who isn’t completely vanilla & paralyzed

timvp
12-18-2020, 09:37 PM
someone post his track record. too long ago for me to remember what exactly he did and where.

Was Ferry really that great back then? All he did was surround LeBron with guys who couldn't deliver when it mattered.

But it's too far back for me to remember.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/ferryda01x.html

Ferry's track record is decent.

With the Cavs, he did enough to help get that team to the Finals but obviously that was 99% due to having LeBron. He took a lot of big swings with the hope of convincing LeBron to stay but ultimately he never gave LeBron anything resembling a second star (the closest was either Larry Hughes or Mo Williams).

His Hawks run was better. Signing Millsap turned out to be a great move. He got Korver for basically nothing. He picked up DeMarre Carroll off the trash heap and Carroll was really good for the Hawks. Muscala was a good trash heap signing. Drafting Schroder was a good pick.

Interestingly, Ferry's first move with Atlanta was trading Joe Johnson. At the time, Johnson was considered overpaid and unmovable and Ferry actually got a first round pick for him. The Spurs could use that sort of expertise if they're looking to move DeRozan and/or Aldridge. :stirpot:

Drafting-wise, Ferry's track record is odd. He's had some huge first round busts (JJ Hickson, Christian Eyenga, Adreian Payne) but he actually has a lot of impressive second rounders: Boobie Gibson, Danny Green, Mike Scott.

Seventyniner
12-18-2020, 09:38 PM

With the Cavs, he did enough to help get that team to the Finals but obviously that was 99% due to having LeBron. He took a lot of big swings with the hope of convincing LeBron to stay but ultimately he never gave LeBron anything resembling a second star (the closest was either Larry Hughes or Mo Williams).

His Hawks run was better. Signing Millsap turned out to be a great move. He got Korver for basically nothing. He picked up DeMarre Carroll off the trash heap and Carroll was really good for the Hawks. Muscala was a good trash heap signing. Drafting Schroder was a good pick.

Interestingly, Ferry's first move with Atlanta was trading Joe Johnson. At the time, Johnson was considered overpaid and unmovable and Ferry actually got a first round pick for him. The Spurs could use that sort of expertise if they're looking to move DeRozan and/or Aldridge. :stirpot:

Drafting-wise, Ferry's track record is odd. He's had some huge first round busts (JJ Hickson, Christian Eyenga, Adreian Payne) but he actually has a lot of impressive second rounders: Boobie Gibson, Danny Green, Mike Scott.

Anything that would help on the trade front is good. Ferry doesn't have to have input into the drafting process, the Spurs are already good there.

BacktoBasics
12-18-2020, 09:48 PM
No you’re wrong.

The way I read the story, it was actually a scout who wrote those words. Ferry just made the mistake of reading that scout's comment out loud on a conference call. The sentiment wasn't Ferry's own.

Yea exactly. All he did was read what someone else said. He probably should have stopped himself but it’s not like the guy dropped a bunch racist shit out in the open born out of his own beliefs.

I’m a rabid anti trumper and am all for racial reform but Ferry was railroaded by sjw losers who wanted blood.

Ferry was the victim in the end. Absolutely wronged in every way possible.

paperboy77
12-18-2020, 10:00 PM
Lol, you say things.

Ok.... I do.

timvp
12-18-2020, 10:05 PM
The only thing I don't like about bringing back Ferry is he obviously doesn't have any problem of taking Spurs intel and using it elsewhere. Ferry has signed a who's who list of former Spurs including Devin Brown, James Anderson, Anthony Tolliver, Mike Wilks, Squeaky Johnson, etc. Obviously not a big deal but it's just weird that Ferry's first in line to sign San Antonio's developmental projects when they become available. Hell, his one move when he took over for Dell Demps in New Orleans was to sign Bertans' brother :lol

poopbox
12-18-2020, 11:59 PM
If Danny Ferry is making any type of difference in this organization then the ship be sinking faster than I thought

ginobilized
12-19-2020, 01:51 PM
Danny Ferry will be very welcome by the Spurs organization. He was a class act in SA and is a lifer in the NBA. His dad was GM of the Washington Bullets back in the day, so it's the family business, so to speak.
He is also a highly intelligent individual. Glad he's back and hope that he can bring some solid moves to this organization.

timvp
12-19-2020, 05:04 PM

I was reminded earlier today of something I knew at the time but had forgotten: Ferry was 100% sold on the Spurs picking Jimmy Butler in the 2011 draft. Ferry loved how much of a competitor he was and didn't think anyone else at the end of the first round was even comparable. The Spurs ended up trading for Kawhi and then picking Cory Joseph over Butler at 29. Ferry still wanted the Spurs to go with Butler even after the Kawhi trade but the rest of the FO didn't see the fit with both of them on the roster, especially because RJ was still on the team.

But, yeah, Ferry has a good eye in the draft outside of the top 25 picks or so. Kawhi and Butler wouldn't have been guaranteed to work out if they were both drafted by the Spurs but, man, if the Spurs had listened to Ferry, there's an alternate universe where their championship window is still wide open a decade later...

playblair
12-19-2020, 05:17 PM
I was reminded earlier today of something I knew at the time but had forgotten: Ferry was 100% sold on the Spurs picking Jimmy Butler in the 2011 draft. Ferry loved how much of a competitor he was and didn't think anyone else at the end of the first round was even comparable. The Spurs ended up trading for Kawhi and then picking Cory Joseph over Butler at 29. Ferry still wanted the Spurs to go with Butler even after the Kawhi trade but the rest of the FO didn't see the fit with both of them on the roster, especially because RJ was still on the team.

But, yeah, Ferry has a good eye in the draft outside of the top 25 picks or so. Kawhi and Butler wouldn't have been guaranteed to work out if they were both drafted by the Spurs but, man, if the Spurs had listened to Ferry, there's an alternate universe where their championship window is still wide open a decade later...

no the spurs picked joseph because rc bufords son played with him at texas stop revising history the pick wouldve been butler but nepotism won out he wanted someone familiar to help wangmene make the team

gambit1990
12-19-2020, 06:28 PM
this is exciting news imo because i think the spurs decided they could use more help to... be more successful.

gambit1990
12-19-2020, 06:33 PM
Ferry, Brown, and Cavaliers majority owner Dan Gilbert began to add talent and depth to the Cavs' roster, notably acquiring one-time All-Star (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_All-Star_Game)guard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guard_(basketball)) Mo Williams (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo_Williams), former All-Star center (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_(basketball)) Shaquille O'Neal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaquille_O%27Neal), starting shooting guard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_guard) Anthony Parker (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Parker), forward Leon Powe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Powe), and former All-Star Antawn Jamison (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antawn_Jamison) between 2008–2010.
while ferry never snagged anyone great, at least he was willing to try switching things up.

but... hopefully he didn't really think busted mo williams, busted shaq, etc. were right pieces necessary to win a championship. i don't know what financial constraints he was working under.

cavs did reach the finals for first time in history. if jazz beat the spurs in 07 then the cavs would've beat the jazz in the finals.

timtonymanu
12-19-2020, 07:41 PM

Man I didn’t even remember he was in the front office for the Hawks. Definitely find his time there more impressive than what he did with Cleveland. And also that butler tidbit you added. Now I feel more convinced lol

Prime BEEF
12-19-2020, 07:50 PM
Anyone is better than Pop, RC & Wright at the moment. Someone who isn’t completely vanilla & paralyzed
Becoming more and more true

ElNono
12-19-2020, 08:20 PM
ugh hopefully fake news

superbigtime
12-19-2020, 08:33 PM
good

Budkin
12-19-2020, 09:53 PM
https://i.ibb.co/YXDtYVV/unnamed.jpg

LMAO as soon as I saw the subject I went scrolling expecting this image. I was not let down.

lefty
12-20-2020, 01:37 AM

Ferry will do everything in his power to facilitate the WHITE extension

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2020, 06:07 PM
My bad.....

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2020, 06:08 PM
Ferry rules!

JADG79
12-21-2020, 08:26 PM
Hope to trade some guy from ATL Collins, Reddish or Hunter

RC_Drunkford
12-22-2020, 10:11 PM
Why are people here acting like Danny Ferry just became the GM?

The Truth #6
12-22-2020, 11:13 PM
Why are people here acting like Danny Ferry just became the GM?

A decent question. Probably because no one knows for sure who is actually in charge. Wright? RC? Pop?

UNT Eagles 2016
12-23-2020, 11:02 PM
He was the OG Matt Bonner for the Spurs in his playing days. Old, tall, thin-ish, white, bad at defense, both had that funky underhanded three-point shot.

Thinking back on it, Ferry and Malik Rose were the OG "Turd Towers"... note the Spurs didn't finally topple those Lakers and win the championship until they picked up Kevin Willis who was a big man who played a real big man's game.

exstatic
12-24-2020, 12:07 AM
He was the OG Matt Bonner for the Spurs in his playing days. Old, tall, thin-ish, white, bad at defense, both had that funky underhanded three-point shot.

Thinking back on it, Ferry and Malik Rose were the OG "Turd Towers"... note the Spurs didn't finally topple those Lakers and win the championship until they picked up Kevin Willis who was a big man who played a real big man's game.

We won the title with Malik Rose, and without Kevin Willis, and went through the Lakers like tissue paper in 1999.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-24-2020, 09:18 AM
We won the title with Malik Rose, and without Kevin Willis, and went through the Lakers like tissue paper in 1999.

The Lakers were tissue paper in '99. They were a year away.

Also the '99 Spurs had that one other tall strong white guy off the bench who wasn't maybe quite as strong as Willis but he was sure stronger at the rim on both ends than say, Splitter. IIRC. I was kind of small to remember the '99 team except for Garnett being a prick, the MDM, and the Avery Johnson shot / Latrell Sprewell prayer that caught air at the buzzer.

barakz21
12-24-2020, 01:11 PM
Malik Rose? Dude was a great piece to have. Sure he was undersized but he was always the dude that defended Shaq when DRob was taking a breather and he was decent at that - considering that there was no stopping Shaq those days. He always played hard and always provided energy off the bench. It was always him and rookie Manu that did that in that 03 run.