PDA

View Full Version : How I See Derrick White's Contract Extension Negotiations Playing Out

timvp
12-20-2020, 02:12 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/derrick-white-contract-extension-what-to-expect/

BackHome
12-20-2020, 02:28 AM
I really like White but with his injuries throughout his NBA career I would not throw major money at him and if we happen to have a chance to draft a guy like Suggs I am doing that in a heartbeat. Buy yeah keep him if you can he is our best PG when healthy and he is a good guy and good team mate

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-20-2020, 02:45 AM
I think White should be more motivated to get an extension than the Spurs would. An offer in the $50-70 mil ballpark would be life changing for him and could well be his only big NBA contract.

The good thing about White, compared to Murray for example, is that he has such a swiss army knife type of game that he could fit in many roles, so he would be useful in a rebuild as well, regardless of who the Spurs would pick, should they go that route. He can be a PG, he can be an off guard that helps with some playmaking duties, he can be a 6th man, he can play in a three guard line-up, etc. If they ever need to trade him there will be many teams with roles for such a player.

I remember being very underwhelmed when they picked him in the draft when some more highly regarded players like Josh Hart, Jordan Bell and Jonah Bolden were available. In retrospect the Spurs hit a home run (shows how much I know) and I hope they keep him.

PhantomDashCam
12-20-2020, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the insight OP. You would hope both sides can come to agreement. With Poeltl’s commitment to the team and his growing rapport with White; I assume it definitely played a factor in Poeltl’s return, (even if it was minute compared to the $ on offer).

Hope we get to see a KJ, Vassell and White lineup sometime early in the new year.

Spursfanfromafar
12-20-2020, 06:25 AM
Derrick White was by far the best player for the Spurs last season despite a relatively weak start compared to his previous season. He is the closest to an All-Star among the young talent that the Spurs have to. An extension is a no-brainer. It might come up to 4 years $70 million with a fourth year player option perhaps.

Rummpd
12-20-2020, 07:37 AM
He has to prove this year he worth extending before going too high on a contract - too erratic despite flashes of having substantial untapped talent. One would have thought his career would have taken off after the one great playoff game a year ago.

tim_duncan_fan
12-20-2020, 07:41 AM
Not to fearmonger, but we don't REALLY know what we have in White.

Not even focusing on injuries, he has quite a bit of the Lonnie Walker weak personality syndrome that stops him from giving the effort to be great sometimes.

I'm praying for some consistency from our young guys, but I am not surprised at the team weighing their decision carefully before getting a deal done. White has only shown us slight flashes of talent.

lmbebo
12-20-2020, 09:27 AM
I would hope in the 50 million range. Wouldn't mind moving Murray in the right package.

Dejounte
12-20-2020, 09:40 AM
Let's see... My wife bought me a Kawhi jersey and he left the team. Last year (or was it two years ago?) She bought me a White jersey.

Let's just say she ain't buying me anymore jerseys if White ends up leaving too.

Dex
12-20-2020, 09:43 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/derrick-white-contract-extension-what-to-expect/

Good stuff OP.

The injuries are a concern, but hopefully that means the Spurs can pressure White's agent into a more reasonable deal similar to the discount got for the oft-hobbled Curry at the time.
Obviously, that's a delicate thing to do without pissing off one of the team's key pieces...we all saw how Kawhi reacted when the Spurs showed concern about his health. But White has to acknowledge that it's been a struggle to stay on the court so far in his career.

I didn't see it in the article. Do we know what the deadline is?

Edit: I see it now at the top...by Monday.

Dejounte
12-20-2020, 09:44 AM
Good stuff OP.

The injuries are a concern, but hopefully that means the Spurs can pressure White's agent into a more reasonable deal.

Obviously, that's a delicate thing to do without pissing off one of the team's key pieces...we all saw how Kawhi reacted when the Spurs showed concern about his health.

I didn't see it in the article. Do we know what the deadline is?

Tomorrow is the deadline.

Dex
12-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Tomorrow is the deadline.

:wow Didn't realize it was coming up that quick.

GET TO WORK PATFO!

cd021
12-20-2020, 09:48 AM
I'd be surprised if he signed for less than $68 million tbh. I think Murray's contract is the baseline. His agent can argue that he's better than Murray and should be paid more, which is true.

If he agrees to an extension, he'd likely be leaving money on the table in exchange for locking in the money now. Ultimately, I think he'd take $68-$76 million (17-19 million per season).

cd021
12-20-2020, 09:53 AM
There is also a bit of a guessing game on the Spurs part when negotiating with White. White played below his second season level for most of last season, until the bubble.

There, he suddenly started bombing 3's (8 per game, on 39%), which turned him from a good player to a great player. Had he played these three pre-season games, then they'd at least know whether he'd continue playing at that level or back to being just a good player who hesitates from 3.

John B
12-20-2020, 10:17 AM
White is the new Manu of this team, very unselfish and willing to do the dirty work, i.e. 5 charges in a game. He deserves to get the same or more money than Murray, who hasn’t really shown consistent work. I’m not doubting that they will ink the contract by tomorrow, and hopefully we see him play soon. Spurs need him.

Dejounte
12-20-2020, 10:50 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if there were All-Star stipulations in his contract to increase his salary.

Dejounte
12-20-2020, 11:03 AM
White is the new Manu of this team, very unselfish and willing to do the dirty work, i.e. 5 charges in a game. He deserves to get the same or more money than Murray, who hasn’t really shown consistent work. I’m not doubting that they will ink the contract by tomorrow, and hopefully we see him play soon. Spurs need him.

Manu was the most fun to watch out of the big 3 and I get those same vibes from watching White. Just exciting to see smart play and intangibles.

***Not saying White is on Manu's level yet***

exstatic
12-20-2020, 11:25 AM
I would hope in the 50 million range. Wouldn't mind moving Murray in the right package.

There’s no way White or his agent entertain such a lowball offer. He’s a better player than Dejounte,and you expect him to take $14M less? Fuck that noise. You’re 100% better off going into RFA next summer than signing that shit. He’s the most efficient PnR ball handler in the NBA.

https://twitter.com/hpbasketball/status/1283502311491293186?s=21

That was before the bubble.

BackHome
12-20-2020, 11:39 AM
It also depends how he is right now with his injury he hasn’t practiced in a long time how many games is he going to miss before he plays? Is his injury just a freak accident or does he have foot issues that will lend him to getting injured more and missing more games?

Mugen
12-20-2020, 02:24 PM
Would be absolutely retarded if PATFO didn't extend White. So definitely up in the air on what ends up happening.

spurs10
12-20-2020, 03:24 PM
White is their/our most important piece for the future as far as I see it. He'll get upwards of Murray's 64m. He also makes Murray look much better and helps greatly to saving that deal. There was promise in their bubble play together.

White is going to be one rich mo&%&er come Monday night! Good for him. Hope he has a strong family base.

spurs10
12-20-2020, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the article and the deadline info and all.

justinandimcool
12-20-2020, 04:58 PM
you people are nuts. White would be crazy to take anything under 64. he could easily get a 75/4 offer sheet if he walks

the man will be in the closing lineup in our biggest games for the next 5 years. pay him like it. if the Spurs don’t want to fork up the cash to keep good players, then tank everything

TheChillFactor
12-20-2020, 05:18 PM
When I watch him play I see the best young player we have.

People always cited Manu's age because he came over late, I don't really care he's a year or two older than murray, poelt, etc.

He has the intangibles that the other young guys seem to lack. (looking at you dejounte)

itzsoweezee
12-20-2020, 05:32 PM
An absolute no-brainer to extend him. Just get it done

tmtcsc
12-20-2020, 05:34 PM
Expecting to recreate the bubble magic of beating unmotivated teams - especially without its 2 biggest components (Johnson and White) is ridiculous. What we learned in the bubble is that the cause of this team's lack of wins and production rest on other player's shoulders. The players with the most to prove are Lyles and Aldridge. Both looked like hot garbage in the preseason. I would start White, Vassell and Johnson as soon as they are all healthy. Everyone else needs to line up behind them & follow their lead.

tmtcsc
12-20-2020, 05:36 PM
Would be absolutely retarded if PATFO didn't extend White. So definitely up in the air on what ends up happening.

:lol

tmtcsc
12-20-2020, 05:38 PM

What's holding you back from seeing Murray moved for a bag of Funyuns? He has a ridiculous, unearned contract & he sucks out loud.

BackHome
12-20-2020, 05:41 PM
Well Flakers just signed Kyle Kuzman to a 3 year 40 million deal

cd021
12-20-2020, 06:09 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if there were All-Star stipulations in his contract to increase his salary.
I could see player incentives to tacked on, similar to Murray who got $64 million but up to $70 million with incentives.

Maybe up to $1,000,000,000 per season for games played ( at least 70 per season) and 3pt attempts per game ( at least 5 per game). That could be another $4 million on top of any guaranteed money.

TD 21
12-20-2020, 06:25 PM
:lmao Unless they know something about his long term health that we don't, why would they have started at $52M? Since they shot themselves in the foot by jumping the gun with Murray, I wouldn't even bother wasting their time or risking causing friction by playing that cliche game, which only insults others intelligence.

Spare me the spiel about the pandemic affecting revenue. From the contracts given out this off season and the amount of teams left holding the bag in terms of '21 free agency, now that the superstar/star market has predictably dried up, if they don't come correct, it'll likely cost even more next off season.

exstatic
12-20-2020, 06:26 PM
Most of the top FAs for next summer have extended. With player salaries approaching $50M per year, I can absolutely see a team offering $20M a year to pry away the #1 PnR ball handler in the league, and a heady defender. People compare him to Manu, but I think his best comp is Jrue Holiday. Jrue never put up the real big numbers but he ran his team well, and was a dawg on defense.

$20M is the new $10M.

TD 21
12-20-2020, 06:27 PM
Most of the top FAs for next summer have extended. With player salaries approaching $50M per year, I can absolutely see a team offering $20M a year to pry away the #1 PnR ball handler in the league, and a heady defender. People compare him to Manu, but I think his best comp is Jrue Holiday. Jrue never put up the real big numbers but he ran his team well, and was a dawg on defense.

$20M is the new $10M.

:wow Not only opposing timvp, but a good post. Coincidence? I think not.

R. DeMurre
12-20-2020, 07:02 PM
It's going to be interesting to see what the Spurs do with all that cap room next year-- most of the difference makers/pipe dreams have signed extensions.

timvp
12-20-2020, 07:05 PM
:wow Not only opposing timvp, but a good post. Coincidence? I think not.

:lmao If you read the article, that's exactly why I think the Spurs should/will get a deal done. With all the available cap space, White's perfect storm scenario has him potentially getting a nine-figure deal next summer.

Prime BEEF
12-20-2020, 07:13 PM

$20M is the new $10M.
I find myself agreeing with you more and more. This is the one player they really need to keep. Hopefully the FO doesn’t screw it up

RC_Drunkford
12-20-2020, 07:24 PM
White is the only player on this team who makes his team mates better. Resigning him is a must

Down Under
12-20-2020, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I'm going to think the deal is going to be over 20mil annually, given his completeness as a player.

exstatic
12-20-2020, 07:31 PM
White is the only player on this team who makes his team mates better. Resigning him is a must

I think Keldon is in or near that category, and Devin will be. Everyone else is either an iso scorer, or a support piece that needs the table set for them.

exstatic
12-20-2020, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I'm going to think the deal is going to be over 20mil annually, given his completeness as a player.

It will be,if this goes to next summer. They might be able to get him for $18M now. That would be 4/$72. I’m guessing they’re offering DJ money, $16M.

BillMc
12-20-2020, 08:48 PM
Does anyone remember if the FO tried to extend Kyle Anderson and the two sides couldn't come to terms or did the Spurs for some reason (Kyle's play or cap gymnastics) not wish to even offer an extension? White is better than Kyle, but I wonder how often the FO doesn't extend #1 pick rookies?

TD 21
12-20-2020, 08:57 PM
:lmao If you read the article, that's exactly why I think the Spurs should/will get a deal done. With all the available cap space, White's perfect storm scenario has him potentially getting a nine-figure deal next summer.

I did, but you think and seemingly endorse them playing the usual negotiation game as opposed to cutting to the chase.

I think it's far more important to get this done as opposed to trying to outsmart the other side or pinch pennies.

rankingtear
12-20-2020, 09:14 PM
Does anyone remember if the FO tried to extend Kyle Anderson and the two sides couldn't come to terms or did the Spurs for some reason (Kyle's play or cap gymnastics) not wish to even offer an extension? White is better than Kyle, but I wonder how often the FO doesn't extend #1 pick rookies?

I think DJ was the first.

spurs10
12-20-2020, 09:16 PM
It will be,if this goes to next summer. They might be able to get him for $18M now. That would be 4/$72. I’m guessing they’re offering DJ money, $16M. Yep I'll be surprised if it's under 72m.

BackHome
12-20-2020, 09:17 PM
you people are nuts. White would be crazy to take anything under 64. he could easily get a 75/4 offer sheet if he walks

the man will be in the closing lineup in our biggest games for the next 5 years. pay him like it. if the Spurs don’t want to fork up the cash to keep good players, then tank everything

Well Hell why stop at $75 Million why not make it a clear 100 Million as he has clearly shown that he is the next Kobe Bryant in these Pre season games.

Mugen
12-20-2020, 09:21 PM
If Derek had any sense, he'd try to get something like 4yrs/90mil from the Spurs...then a week later go to the old man and ask for a trade.

Pop woud 100% sign off since it's the right thing to do :lol

Uriel
12-21-2020, 01:04 AM
Why do you think it’s unlikely White will be an All-star? He’s clearly the team’s best player.

XDT76
12-21-2020, 01:57 AM
I could see player incentives to tacked on, similar to Murray who got $64 million but up to $70 million with incentives.

Maybe up to $1,000,000,000 per season for games played ( at least 70 per season) and 3pt attempts per game ( at least 5 per game). That could be another $4 million on top of any guaranteed money.

Is that a typo? I really like White but $1 billion a season seems over the top and the amount of luxury tax the Spurs needs to pay seems to be unworkable.��

XDT76
12-21-2020, 02:00 AM
They might have an agreement with White on the extension figure but do not sign now so that they can sign FA next season before using bird rights on him.

daslicer
12-21-2020, 03:20 AM
They might have an agreement with White on the extension figure but do not sign now so that they can sign FA next season before using bird rights on him.

He's a restricted FA. Maybe he wants the max and the Spurs don't want to give it to him right now but will match it if some team offers it to him in FA.

cd021
12-21-2020, 03:55 AM
Is that a typo? I really like White but $1 billion a season seems over the top and the amount of luxury tax the Spurs needs to pay seems to be unworkable.��
:lol I mean he is important.

TDMVPDPOY
12-21-2020, 04:41 AM
if he g ets below ig cunt, he should leave

Mugen
12-21-2020, 10:56 AM

If I was Derrick and they came to me with that BS, I'd tell the old man to go pound some sand and go sign with a real time next season. I'd also play it like Kawhi and essentially sit out this year as well to make sure he doesn't get hurt playing for a garbage coach :lol

Mugen
12-21-2020, 10:59 AM
If the Spurs don't extend Derrick, I fully support him holding out and making sure he's healthy for next summer. Do you, Derrick. This garbage franchise was playing Bryn Forbes and Patty over you :lol

exstatic
12-21-2020, 12:52 PM
If I was Derrick and they came to me with that BS, I'd tell the old man to go pound some sand and go sign with a real time next season. I'd also play it like Kawhi and essentially sit out this year as well to make sure he doesn't get hurt playing for a garbage coach :lol

That wasn’t why Kawhi sat out.

talkspurs
12-21-2020, 01:00 PM
If the Spurs don't extend Derrick, I fully support him holding out and making sure he's healthy for next summer. Do you, Derrick. This garbage franchise was playing Bryn Forbes and Patty over you :lol

If he does that his value would be MLE. He has had a few good games and a nice stretch in the bubble. People are acting like his played in the bubble was how he played for the whole year.

talkspurs
12-21-2020, 01:01 PM
He's a restricted FA. Maybe he wants the max and the Spurs don't want to give it to him right now but will match it if some team offers it to him in FA.

He is no where near a max player. If another team offers that to him they will be regretting it. If he gets it the Spurs should say good job and let him walk.

daslicer
12-21-2020, 01:13 PM
He is no where near a max player. If another team offers that to him they will be regretting it. If he gets it the Spurs should say good job and let him walk.

I'm always for testing the waters for a player when they are a restricted FA and letting the market determine their value. I don't think he is a max player but I have to see how he plays this year to make the determination.

timvp
12-21-2020, 02:49 PM
So apparently the deadline is at 11:59 pm ET. Last year the deadline was 6 pm ET, IIRC.

I'd expect for the action to pick up in the last four or five hours.

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 02:51 PM
So apparently the deadline is at 11:59 pm ET. Last year the deadline was 6 pm ET, IIRC.

I'd expect for the action to pick up in the last four or five hours.

You sure?

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1341011355294457857?s=19

rjv
12-21-2020, 03:22 PM
I really like White but with his injuries throughout his NBA career I would not throw major money at him and if we happen to have a chance to draft a guy like Suggs I am doing that in a heartbeat. Buy yeah keep him if you can he is our best PG when healthy and he is a good guy and good team mate

i've already thought about what would happen if the spurs were to get a high enough draft pick to get someone like suggs and how this would work out with the current roster. when you think about it, the spurs only really have one proven PG to this point and that's white, so securing white wouldn't mean that the spurs couldn't draft a PG of suggs' talent level. if anything, it could add much needed insurance. of course, that's in a world where the spurs would be fortunate enough to have such a 'problem'.

The Truth #6
12-21-2020, 03:29 PM
I think the front office realizes they couldn’t move on from the vets and so now they’re working towards next season by signing players they want to be around next year, Jakob, and hopefully White. The flip side is that it makes this season feel like another awkward transition year.

gambit1990
12-21-2020, 03:38 PM
was gonna say 4 years / $72 but it'll end up being more like 4 years / $78.

Mugen
12-21-2020, 03:40 PM
Small market teams + bad FOs need to overpay to keep talent tbh. If Derrick ends up getting a contract from PATFO, it's well-deserved regardless of the price tag.

spurraider21
12-21-2020, 04:02 PM
Why do you think it’s unlikely White will be an All-star? He’s clearly the team’s best player.
being the best player on a team doenst make one an allstar. he simply hasnt been productive enough for sustained periods of time

smush
12-21-2020, 04:17 PM
You sure?

We better resign our best player before 6!!

Mugen
12-21-2020, 04:23 PM
The only guy still on the team that showed he was worth a damn the last few seasons, of course this retarded ass FO is going to let him walk next summer :lol

smush
12-21-2020, 04:24 PM
Luke Kennard got 4/64.

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 04:34 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1341130677320867841

No extension for Lonzo

Probably no extension for White?

Mugen
12-21-2020, 04:37 PM

No extension for Lonzo

You understand that Lonzo is much worse than Derrick, right?

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 04:38 PM
You understand that Lonzo is much worse than Derrick, right?

Yes?

timvp
12-21-2020, 04:51 PM
You sure?

Whoops. His correction is correct.

So .... we got about one hour? Hopefully they get it done.

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:10 PM
While not giving White an extension wouldn't be a disaster (he'd still be restricted, they could open up more salary cap room before re-signing him, etc.), it'd be more proof that the front office is scared stiff after the disaster that was last offseason.

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:14 PM
While not giving White an extension wouldn't be a disaster (he'd still be restricted, they could open up more salary cap room before re-signing him, etc.), it'd be more proof that the front office is scared stiff after the disaster that was last offseason.

CIA Pop tho....

Not scared enough to run the same shit back and give their backup C all that money :lol

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 05:15 PM

If thats the case then its time to go scorched earth on PATFO.

PhantomDashCam
12-21-2020, 05:18 PM

No extension for Lonzo

NO has Bledsoe and Kira Lewis. Lewis may not play right away but they have starter-ish depth there, Spurs do not.
Shouldn’t effect White.

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:18 PM
Fultz gets 3yr/50 mil from Orlando.

Should be the floor of what Derrick should get tbh. 4yrs 64-72mil should be right...

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:23 PM
Don't see anything that should change White's value too much. Kennard got a lot but that was comparable if you judge it on what Joe Harris and Bogdanovic got.

Fultz getting that much means Dejounte Murray isn't as overpaid as Spurs fans like to say he is, tbh. . .

TD 21
12-21-2020, 05:23 PM
How's that 4/$52M starting point for White looking when Kennard just got 4/$64M ($56M guaranteed, with $8M in likely incentives) and Fultz 3/$50M? :lmao

On the contrary, Fultz probably got what he did because his agent probably pointed to Murray, forcing the Magic to make a compelling case for why he should get less when he's 2+ years younger an can actually create offense for others.

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 05:24 PM
Thirty minutes left!

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:25 PM
How's that 4/$52M starting point for White looking when Kennard just got 4/$64M ($56M guaranteed, with $8M in likely incentives) and Fultz 3/$50M? :lmao

:lol Which Sniffer thought 4yr/52mil for the best player on the team was in play?

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:26 PM

Imagine not understanding how adults conduct negotiations.

TD 21
12-21-2020, 05:27 PM
:lol Which Sniffer thought 4yr/52mil for the best player on the team was in play?

The one who co-owns the site.

To be fair, he didn't actually say what you did, he said what I did. It was nonetheless asinine.

Imagine not understanding how adults conduct negotiations.

:lmao Unless they know something about his long term health that we don't, why would they have started at $52M? Since they shot themselves in the foot by jumping the gun with Murray, I wouldn't even bother wasting their time or risking causing friction by playing that cliche game, which only insults others intelligence.

Spare me the spiel about the pandemic affecting revenue. From the contracts given out this off season and the amount of teams left holding the bag in terms of '21 free agency, now that the superstar/star market has predictably dried up, if they don't come correct, it'll likely cost even more next off season.

ace3g
12-21-2020, 05:28 PM
Markelle Fultz and the Orlando Magic have agreed to a 3-year, $50 million extension. (via @wojespn (https://twitter.com/wojespn/))

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1264902234703265794/lC3YnIYF_normal.jpg
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
(https://twitter.com/wojespn) 1m (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1341148369415262208)
Jonathan Isaac has agreed to a four-year, $80M extension with the Orlando Magic, his agent Jeff Wechsler tells ESPN.

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1264902234703265794/lC3YnIYF_normal.jpg
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn
(https://twitter.com/wojespn) 1m (https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1341148369415262208)
Jonathan Isaac has agreed to a four-year, $80M extension with the Orlando Magic, his agent Jeff Wechsler tells ESPN.

https://media.giphy.com/media/cZHNk21INIlKo/source.gif

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:33 PM
I mean negotiating from Derrick's standpoint is pretty fucking simple. I point to Instagram's extension coming off an ACL tear and say there's the starting point. I'm significantly better so back up the brinks truck.

If the Spurs try to lowball you, I say cool and peace out next offseason where you will still get paid and likely by a much better team with a much better coach. :lol

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 05:37 PM
White isn't getting an extension imo. Spurs prolly let him walk next offseason while doubling down on Instagram Baller.

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:38 PM
White isn't getting an extension imo. Spurs prolly let him walk next offseason while doubling down on Instagram Baller.

:lol The old man probably thinks having IG locked up on that contract is some sort of leverage in the negotiations against Derrick. When literally anybody with a decent sense of basketball IQ knows White is by far the most important player on the team.

TD 21
12-21-2020, 05:38 PM
He'll be restricted. His only leverage is that it could (and likely will) cost the Spurs more then, but they can and probably would still match if it comes to it.

You'd think they beat the buzzer and render this moot though.

Dverde
12-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Magic is league leader in overpaying talent. It’s like they are obligated to sign them.

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Pop with motivation to not play Derrick White big minutes = a long, long season

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:40 PM
Pop = a long, long season

Lemme fix that for you, Sniff.

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 05:41 PM

If he does that to try to get leverage White is 100% gone tbh.

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:42 PM
If he does that to try to get leverage White is 100% gone tbh.

That's not how restricted free agency works, tbh.

Atl Spur
12-21-2020, 05:45 PM
They’ll pay him; this is just a play on flexibility for next summer. They have his bird rights����

YoungbuckMurray
12-21-2020, 05:46 PM
Just give this guy his extension.

Dejounte
So, no word yet from any sources they're not extending him. I'll take it... They really are going down the wire for this.

Robz4000
That's not how restricted free agency works, tbh.

If White asks the Spurs not to match an offer he gets you think they'd match anyway?

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:47 PM
If White approaches his Bubble play this season, the bidding war will start at $100 million. Hopefully the Spurs realize that.

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:48 PM
If White asks the Spurs not to match an offer he gets you think they'd match anyway?

Yeah, they'd be dumb not to.

A giant payday can dry many a tear.

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 05:49 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1341153643056214021?s=19

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2020, 05:49 PM

Should this happen I'm not sure I can watch much Spurs basketball this year.

We looked lost the entire season until Pop finally was forced to play White as a starter in the bubble. Suddenly we had some offensive rhythm, when we hadn't all year prior to then.

Back when Tony Parker was playing there was always a huge drop-off in how the offense was flowing when he wasn't on the court. Now we have that with White. But really, only with White when he gets starter minutes. He kind of sucks as a bench player. His confidence and play-making fall off a cliff for some reason.

BackHome
12-21-2020, 05:50 PM
Is White still hurt? I read something about his toe was dislocated and was the same toe he hurt previous.

smush
OG got 72!

timvp
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1341153643056214021?s=19

How does Anunoby get less money than Isaac?

Robz4000
Yeah, they'd be dumb not to.

A giant payday can dry many a tear.

I can't see it tbh. It wouldn't be "doing right" by White.

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:51 PM
There goes the OG getting his deal :lol

Mugen
I can't see it tbh. It wouldn't be "doing right" by White.

It's amazing that timvp doesn't realize that all Derrick needs to do is give a sob story to the old man :lol

smush
Good question. That’s ridiculous. Guess he got player option.

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:52 PM
It's amazing that timvp doesn't realize that all Derrick needs to do is give a sob story to the old man :lol

He'll be retired by then, tbh.

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:53 PM
He'll be retired by then, tbh.

He ain't going anywhere tbh. He's going to be torpedoing this franchise for at least a few more years. :lol

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:54 PM
Absolutely amazing how fucking stupid this franchise is tbh. Just beyond words.

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 05:55 PM
:lol with Antetokounmpo off the table next offseason and all the teams with capspace someone is gonna throw big time money at White, in some cases just to spite the Spurs. Crazy what this front office has devolved into.

TD 21
12-21-2020, 05:55 PM
How does Anunoby get less money than Isaac?

Raptors luck strikes again.

Meanwhile, as usual we're left to wait and hope these fools do the obvious thing.

YoungbuckMurray
12-21-2020, 05:56 PM
Safe to assume he ain’t signing

Mugen
12-21-2020, 05:57 PM
:lol with Antetokounmpo off the table next offseason and all the teams with capspace someone is gonna throw big time money at White, in some cases just to spite the Spurs. Crazy what this front office has devolved into.

Just when you think they couldn't get any shittier, Robz. What a joke of a front office.

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 05:57 PM
Just when you think they couldn't get any shittier, Robz. What a joke of a front office.

As Culb would say, we haven't even hit rock bottom yet.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2020, 05:59 PM
1 minute. Better sign quick!

timvp
12-21-2020, 05:59 PM
Front office officially scared stiff, tbh. Even re-signing Jakob Poeltl was a move done to save face. The braver thing to do would have let him walk and trust that you can go find another backup center off the scrap heap.

:pctoss

gambit1990
12-21-2020, 06:00 PM
i think this is showing the commitment to him. if they can't agree then they'll be happy to pay him next summer. the spurs know they aren't landing big fish.

Dex
12-21-2020, 06:00 PM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/l0IyhWl9rB1J9vyw0/giphy.gif

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 06:01 PM
:lmao just the last turd kiss on top of this shit sandwich of an offseason

Mugen
Front office official scared stiff, tbh. Even re-signing Jakob Poeltl was a move done to save face. The braver thing to do would have let him walk and trust that you can go find another backup center off the scrap heap.

CIA Pop :lol

Dejounte
So it's past time already and unless they're slow in submitting the forms ...

Dex
Front office official scared stiff, tbh. Even re-signing Jakob Poeltl was a move done to save face. The braver thing to do would have let him walk and trust that you can go find another backup center off the scrap heap.

I mean....it's possible the deal was done on time but just not reported yet right?

....right? :(

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 06:02 PM
https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1341156937849827331?s=19
Confirmation or speculation?

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2020, 06:03 PM
So...the one guy the Spurs should have been serious about resigning, they fail to sign. Nice.

Robz4000
Calling it now: White won't be a Spur next season. Hell, they prolly use him in a package to unload one of DeRozan/LMA as a sweetener to do right by them to send them to a contender.

EasyMoney
Oh well. Pay him in the off season. Lauri Markannen and John Collins are going to be intriguing if their teams don't want to match any offers.

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 06:05 PM
https://twitter.com/N_Magaro/status/1341157493527994369?s=19

Which teams can bid for Derrick White next season?? Raptors used their cap space, who else?

joeyjfive
12-21-2020, 06:06 PM
WOJ BOMB

Mugen
12-21-2020, 06:07 PM
How anybody can still defend this garbage ass franchise is beyond me, they've officially become worse than my Raiders :lol

Stay healthy, Derrick. Get paid next offseason and put this trash team in your rear view.

Dejounte
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1341157947334914048?s=19

Dejounte
How anybody can still defend this garbage ass franchise is beyond me, they've officially become worse than my Raiders :lol

Stay healthy, Derrick. Get paid next offseason and put this trash team in your rear view.

Lmfao now you can stop crying... Holy shit. You cried during this entire thread. Derrick must be your favorite player. Don't worry. He's my favorite too.

Mugen
12-21-2020, 06:08 PM
FUCK THE REVERSE JINX ACTUALLY WORKED

Dex
DELAYED WOJ BOMB!!!

Like using remote mines in Goldeneye :hungry:

exstatic
WOJ bomb

White agrees to 4/$73M

rankingtear
12-21-2020, 06:09 PM

Lol

Robz4000
DELAYED WOJ BOMB!!!

:lol God I loved those

EasyMoney
Spoke too soon. Good job spurs and congrats d white

Mugen
Lmfao now you can stop crying... Holy shit. You cried during this entire thread. Derrick must be your favorite player. Don't worry. He's my favorite too.

Happy for Derrick. Pretty bummed that he has to play for a garbage coach and fat fans like yourself but happy for him nonetheless.

Robz4000

My nigga :toast

Dejounte

:huddle::downspin::downspin::danceclub:danceclub:d anceclub

timvp
12-21-2020, 06:10 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/877/371/147.gif

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 06:10 PM
Happy for Derrick. Pretty bummed that he has to play for a garbage coach and fat fans like yourself but happy for him nonetheless.

Fat? Lmfao

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2020, 06:12 PM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/877/371/147.gif

Right??!! Jeez.

PhantomDashCam
12-21-2020, 06:13 PM
DELAYED WOJ BOMB!!!

Great times bud. The amount of times I ended up Martyred as a result of a poorly placed mine. Priceless.
Good job Spurs. Pumped.

Dex
I mean....it's possible the deal was done on time but just not reported yet right?

....right? :(

I don't want to exaggerate or anything but...I'm basically responsible for all of this.

You're welcome SpursTalk.

Robz4000
I don't want to exaggerate or anything but...I'm basically responsible for all of this.

:worthy:

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2020, 06:14 PM

I'm fairly certain posts on this site actually control the universe. Haven't quite figured out the how, yet.

Dex
12-21-2020, 06:14 PM
Now we can all move on to discussing if the Spurs overpaid him :rolleyes

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 06:16 PM
I'm fairly certain posts on this site actually control the universe. Haven't quite figured out the how, yet.

So that's why the world is such a shithole right now

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2020, 06:19 PM
So that's why the world is such a shithole right now

:tu

exstatic
12-21-2020, 06:22 PM
It will be,if this goes to next summer. They might be able to get him for $18M now. That would be 4/$72. I’m guessing they’re offering DJ money, $16M.

Damn, I was a million off.

Mugen
12-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Markkanen is an intriguing free agent for next offseason, wouldn't be opposed if he was the target next summer tbh.

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 06:28 PM
Markkanen is an intriguing free agent for next offseason, wouldn't be opposed if he was the target next summer tbh.

People whining about White's health would lose their shit signing him tbh. Dude has missed more games than he's played iirc.

timvp
12-21-2020, 06:31 PM

Right??!! Jeez.

White's contract status looming over everything would have made this a miserable season to watch, tbh. The Spurs being incentivized to not play White and White being incentivized to play it safe and not risk further injury? No thank you.

Definite sigh of relief that the deal got done.

PrimeMinister
12-21-2020, 06:33 PM

Between Lauri and Luka, one of them has to pan out.... right?

TD 21
12-21-2020, 06:34 PM

Of the six extensions candidates who didn't get deals done (J. Collins, Allen, Markkanen, Ball, Hart, Z. Collins), J. Collins and him are the two that obviously stand out as players the Spurs could have interest in.

Dex
12-21-2020, 06:40 PM
White's contract status looming over everything would have made this a miserable season to watch, tbh. The Spurs being incentivized to not play White and White being incentivized to play it safe and not risk further injury? No thank you.

Definite sigh of relief that the deal got done.

Hey timvp, did you get my last PM?

Mr. Body
12-21-2020, 07:28 PM

With cap space, the Spurs can outright absorb salary, right? I'm not sure FAs are the thing to look at, here, but rather pulling decent talent off rosters that need to shed talent.

ismael-robert
12-21-2020, 07:43 PM
Lol all u cliff jumpers talking trash bout organization like yall kno better...love when they prove u wrong

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 08:02 PM
Lol all u cliff jumpers talking trash bout organization like yall kno better...love when they prove u wrong

:lol because PATFO have really been hitting it out of the park the past five seasons, amirite?

tonight...you
12-21-2020, 08:04 PM
https://twitter.com/RealTomPetrini/status/1341156937849827331?s=19
Confirmation or speculation?
Wasted energy. Nice.

rankingtear
12-21-2020, 08:29 PM
Loved the delay signing Mugen and Robz4000 circlejerk then getting blue balled was fun to read.

Mugen
12-21-2020, 08:34 PM
Loved the delay signing Mugen and Robz4000 circlejerk then getting blue balled was fun to read.

Robz and I spoke it into existence with the reverse jinx. You're welcome, nerd.

Atl Spur
12-21-2020, 09:43 PM
They’ll pay him; this is just a play on flexibility for next summer. They have his bird rights����

Whoa........calm your tits boys!!! Especially Mugen.....

ismael-robert
12-21-2020, 09:49 PM
They're doin just fine considering the hand they've been dealt. Gotta play the long game

Sugus
12-22-2020, 12:20 AM
Raptors luck strikes again.

Meanwhile, as usual we're left to wait and hope these fools do the obvious thing.

:lmao imagine thinking making good negotiations and cheap signings has anything to do with "luck". Seriously, my guy, do you gamble or something? Poker? If luck played as much a part as you thought it did, and you had some, you'd be cashin'.

Sugus
12-22-2020, 12:27 AM
:lol because PATFO have really been hitting it out of the park the past five seasons, amirite?

Give them credit where it's due, tbh. It's a great contract, and reading the thread in hindsight is hilarious. Even timvp was losing hope for a second... :lol.

Really excited to see White ball this season! Also great that he's paid more than DJ. I think there's an outside shot that this season sees the end of the DJ-at-PG experiment, once Derrick really settles as primary ballhandler-playmaker on the team (especially if DD is traded at the deadline) and Dejounte is forced to play off ball. Of course, I'd love even more to have the starting SG be Vassell, but let's go baby steps for now...

Btw, thanks for the reverse jinx.

tim_duncan_fan
12-22-2020, 12:42 AM
Yo....I am so glad I missed the panic today.

He was signed by gr he time I was able to check sports news.

TD 21
12-23-2020, 02:01 PM
:lmao imagine thinking making good negotiations and cheap signings has anything to do with "luck". Seriously, my guy, do you gamble or something? Poker? If luck played as much a part as you thought it did, and you had some, you'd be cashin'.

Yeah, because I guess the so called "dumb" teams aren't trying to do the same thing, right? Nah, it's only the so called "smart" teams try to sign players to team friendly contracts because they know something others don't, despite doing the same job.

Sugus
12-23-2020, 03:55 PM
Yeah, because I guess the so called "dumb" teams aren't trying to do the same thing, right? Nah, it's only the so called "smart" teams try to sign players to team friendly contracts because they know something others don't, despite doing the same job.

Of course they are - the difference is "dumb" teams (what a word to describe them) have less-than-capable FOs and staff (which you consistently fail to identify), who either can't negotiate good enough deals, are short-sighted or plain stupid in terms of which players to sign or how much money they're worth (like Minnesota foolishly thinking Wiggins was worth a max contract), and consistently fail to give out good contracts. Surely giving out 5 bad contracts in a row isn't luck, is it? And the opposite is true as well. Also implying every FO executive should or could give out the same contracts because they "do the same job" :lmao

You can say a deal like Curry's original deal was "lucky" due to the timing and the fact that he didn't get injured again, but a contract like this? Seriously? Like... Can you be a bit more specific? Which part of the process is "luck" playing a part in? Original negotiations, the signing itself...?

Gagnrath
12-24-2020, 09:03 AM
Give them credit where it's due, tbh. It's a great contract, and reading the thread in hindsight is hilarious. Even timvp was losing hope for a second... :lol.

Really excited to see White ball this season! Also great that he's paid more than DJ. I think there's an outside shot that this season sees the end of the DJ-at-PG experiment, once Derrick really settles as primary ballhandler-playmaker on the team (especially if DD is traded at the deadline) and Dejounte is forced to play off ball. Of course, I'd love even more to have the starting SG be Vassell, but let's go baby steps for now...

Btw, thanks for the reverse jinx.

Personally I think we will see alot of point guard by committee, white is a better ball handler and decision maker but isn't so far and away better at the role that it defaults to him and he likes bombing catch and shoot threes and is good at it. I see quite a possessions where the set up is the big inbounder jogs the court while Murray brings the ball up at a walk. White crosses the court at the top of the key where the big picks white's defender, then sets again for a possible PnR with Murray's man. Murray has an option to either (you can also do the same with DMDR) to either skip pass onto White for the scrub pick 3 or pick roll pick pop.luka or aldridge pulls their man out of the paint on the other side with their shooting.

Sugus
12-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Personally I think we will see alot of point guard by committee, white is a better ball handler and decision maker but isn't so far and away better at the role that it defaults to him and he likes bombing catch and shoot threes and is good at it. I see quite a possessions where the set up is the big inbounder jogs the court while Murray brings the ball up at a walk. White crosses the court at the top of the key where the big picks white's defender, then sets again for a possible PnR with Murray's man. Murray has an option to either (you can also do the same with DMDR) to either skip pass onto White for the scrub pick 3 or pick roll pick pop.luka or aldridge pulls their man out of the paint on the other side with their shooting.

Haha, I like the expression, "point guard by committee". If you think about it, it's basically the way the league plays now - no one is truly designated to be the one starting the offense, but rather multiple players are able to bring the ball up, create for others, or themselves as they see fit. Especially modern wings. So it's a step in the right direction for sure - especially since all of our youth are at least average shooters from deep. It's an understated part of our core, and a stark contrast to our current starting lineups, where two non-shooters are starting every single game.

I don't see Murray handling the ball like he does now, once White comes back, though. I'd have to go over the bubble games tape again, but I recall White being the clear primary handler, with DJ getting more spot-up duties or handling once White sat. At the end of the day, having a hierarchy isn't a bad thing, and I'm glad White looks to be the top dog (and now is paid like it).

Dejounte
12-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Haha, I like the expression, "point guard by committee". If you think about it, it's basically the way the league plays now - no one is truly designated to be the one starting the offense, but rather multiple players are able to bring the ball up, create for others, or themselves as they see fit. Especially modern wings. So it's a step in the right direction for sure - especially since all of our youth are at least average shooters from deep. It's an understated part of our core, and a stark contrast to our current starting lineups, where two non-shooters are starting every single game.

I don't see Murray handling the ball like he does now, once White comes back, though. I'd have to go over the bubble games tape again, but I recall White being the clear primary handler, with DJ getting more spot-up duties or handling once White sat. At the end of the day, having a hierarchy isn't a bad thing, and I'm glad White looks to be the top dog (and now is paid like it).

Derrick became a clear SG than a PG during the bubble, IMO. He would set up the guys less and looked to score way more.

Sugus
12-24-2020, 04:09 PM
Derrick became a clear SG than a PG during the bubble, IMO. He would set up the guys less and looked to score way more.

Hmm, he's always been a combo guard in my mind. It's gonna be interesting, then, to see how the DJ/DW dynamic grows during the season, since White was still the primary ball-handler in the bubble. Will DJ eventually try to regain "PG duties"? Or will he continue to allow White that role - especially if White builds on his bubble play and starts displaying a score-first mentality?

It'll be an interesting season for sure.

Dejounte
12-24-2020, 04:16 PM
Hmm, he's always been a combo guard in my mind. It's gonna be interesting, then, to see how the DJ/DW dynamic grows during the season, since White was still the primary ball-handler in the bubble. Will DJ eventually try to regain "PG duties"? Or will he continue to allow White that role - especially if White builds on his bubble play and starts displaying a score-first mentality?

It'll be an interesting season for sure.

That's the thing though, I don't remember it the same way as others. I don't think he was the primary ball handler during the bubble.

With that said, I don't think DJ was the primary either.

There was a lot of sharing of duties.

Unless we're going to re-watch those games, I don't think we can fact check this lol. Unless someone has a Synergy account...

exstatic
12-24-2020, 04:28 PM
That's the thing though, I don't remember it the same way as others. I don't think he was the primary ball handler during the bubble.

With that said, I don't think DJ was the primary either.

There was a lot of sharing of duties.

Unless we're going to re-watch those games, I don't think we can fact check this lol. Unless someone has a Synergy account...

Bubble

White early
DJ mixed in
DD late in the games

That’s what I remember.

TD 21
12-24-2020, 05:07 PM
Of course they are - the difference is "dumb" teams (what a word to describe them) have less-than-capable FOs and staff (which you consistently fail to identify), who either can't negotiate good enough deals, are short-sighted or plain stupid in terms of which players to sign or how much money they're worth (like Minnesota foolishly thinking Wiggins was worth a max contract), and consistently fail to give out good contracts. Surely giving out 5 bad contracts in a row isn't luck, is it? And the opposite is true as well. Also implying every FO executive should or could give out the same contracts because they "do the same job" :lmao

You can say a deal like Curry's original deal was "lucky" due to the timing and the fact that he didn't get injured again, but a contract like this? Seriously? Like... Can you be a bit more specific? Which part of the process is "luck" playing a part in? Original negotiations, the signing itself...?

Less than capable based on what? Results that are mostly luck driven, like the Warriors and Raptors. The latter in particular weren't considered anything of consequence until Scumbag's antics lowered his value so much that they got him for cents on the dollar, then watched the best team in the league disintegrate due to injuries in the Finals and now suddenly they're geniuses and above reproach . . . yet fools like you lap this nonsense up.

If the Timberwolves didn't max out Wiggins at the time, someone else would have, they'd have been forced to match to retain what was then still seen as an asset (albeit diminishing) and soured the relationship. This is what I mean by luck.

The luck part in Anunoby's case is his injury history, which led to him wanting to lock in money now, even though he likely sacrificied some (he did get a p/o for his this though) long term.

Sugus
12-24-2020, 07:04 PM
Less than capable based on what? Results that are mostly luck driven, like the Warriors and Raptors. The latter in particular weren't considered anything of consequence until Scumbag's antics lowered his value so much that they got him for cents on the dollar, then watched the best team in the league disintegrate due to injuries in the Finals and now suddenly they're geniuses and above reproach . . . yet fools like you lap this nonsense up.

It's you who is a fool, my guy. There is no part of putting together a championship-winning roster that is luck. Luck comes into play in the actual games, the bounce of the ball, the shots you make or miss - but the management side of it, that's no luck. I really can't wrap my head around how you fail to understand that putting a quality team together, and coaching it up, are not matters of luck - the same way that the Spurs trotting out Forbes starting for a season also wasn't luck, but bad roster composition. Seriously, look up "luck" in a dictionary - you use it WAY too overarchingly, and incorrectly.

The Raptors were lucky to have Kawhi force his way out in time to make a bid. They weren't lucky to have constructed an excellent supporting cast (Marc Gasol, Ibaka, Lowry, et al) that could contend, when given the necessary star power. It wasn't luck that made them have excelling defensive schemes and presence. The Kawhi game 7 shot against the Sixers - yeah, that's luck. But putting yourself in a position to be lucky, is not luck, but hard and good work. Understand the difference?

If the Timberwolves didn't max out Wiggins at the time, someone else would have, they'd have been forced to match to retain what was then still seen as an asset (albeit diminishing) and soured the relationship. This is what I mean by luck.

I still don't follow you - which part of this is "luck"? If you're not sure whether the player is worth a max, you don't preemptively max them (THAT is bad FO job), you play out the season and then reassess whether he's worth that max. Yes, another team might've tried to pry him away with a max offer sheet, but had the Wolves played out that season, they would've known that letting him walk was the better option. Again, no luck whatsoever - just (bad) FO work.

The luck part in Anunoby's case is his injury history, which led to him wanting to lock in money now, even though he likely sacrificied some (he did get a p/o for his this though) long term.

Injuries lowering the amount of a contract is not luck........ My god. What a guy. What's your point, that the Raptors are "lucky" that OG got injured? You think they'd rather he gets injured and a lower contract, than no injuries at all? Backward-ass view you got there. And again - OG could've well bet on himself and play out the season. There's no luck to be had there, both parties agreed to that contract, and it's a great one (something you've consistently failed to adress, of course).

Related question: who's a good FO in this league, right now? Do you even think a FO can be good? Like seriously - you say the Warriors, Raptors (so the latest champs) are all luck, no work. Do you even contemplate such a thing as a good FO? If not, why do you think the Spurs FO is bad? Can't have it both ways...

TD 21
12-25-2020, 06:42 PM
It's you who is a fool, my guy. There is no part of putting together a championship-winning roster that is luck. Luck comes into play in the actual games, the bounce of the ball, the shots you make or miss - but the management side of it, that's no luck. I really can't wrap my head around how you fail to understand that putting a quality team together, and coaching it up, are not matters of luck - the same way that the Spurs trotting out Forbes starting for a season also wasn't luck, but bad roster composition. Seriously, look up "luck" in a dictionary - you use it WAY too overarchingly, and incorrectly.

The Raptors were lucky to have Kawhi force his way out in time to make a bid. They weren't lucky to have constructed an excellent supporting cast (Marc Gasol, Ibaka, Lowry, et al) that could contend, when given the necessary star power. It wasn't luck that made them have excelling defensive schemes and presence. The Kawhi game 7 shot against the Sixers - yeah, that's luck. But putting yourself in a position to be lucky, is not luck, but hard and good work. Understand the difference?

I still don't follow you - which part of this is "luck"? If you're not sure whether the player is worth a max, you don't preemptively max them (THAT is bad FO job), you play out the season and then reassess whether he's worth that max. Yes, another team might've tried to pry him away with a max offer sheet, but had the Wolves played out that season, they would've known that letting him walk was the better option. Again, no luck whatsoever - just (bad) FO work.

Injuries lowering the amount of a contract is not luck........ My god. What a guy. What's your point, that the Raptors are "lucky" that OG got injured? You think they'd rather he gets injured and a lower contract, than no injuries at all? Backward-ass view you got there. And again - OG could've well bet on himself and play out the season. There's no luck to be had there, both parties agreed to that contract, and it's a great one (something you've consistently failed to adress, of course).

Related question: who's a good FO in this league, right now? Do you even think a FO can be good? Like seriously - you say the Warriors, Raptors (so the latest champs) are all luck, no work. Do you even contemplate such a thing as a good FO? If not, why do you think the Spurs FO is bad? Can't have it both ways...

You're quite possible the most vanilla poster I've ever seen, which is quite the feat. You just regurgigate whatever the mainstream media take is on everything.

The Raptors didn't put themselves in position for that because without his antics, they wouldn't have had so much the audacity to make that offer. Him lowering his value to that extent had nothing to do with them.

The Timberwolves were in a bad spot and did what probably 29 other teams would have done at the time, while holding their nose. Teams, especially small market ones, don't just let 22 year old, 1st overall picks, who they traded their franchise cornerstones for and who was putting up counting stats (empty calories sure, but this wasn't Bennett) walk.

Are you legitimately this obtuse or just pretending so you can critique every word I say? The Raptors got lucky that his injury history led to him wanting to sign now and not waiting a year to get more.

Again, I think the position is mostly luck. Sure, some do on the margins things better than others, but the big, consequential things are heavily dependant on it.

tonight...you
12-25-2020, 06:52 PM
You're quite possible the most vanilla poster I've ever seen, which is quite the feat. You just regurgigate whatever the mainstream media take is on everything.

The Raptors didn't put themselves in position for that because without his antics, they wouldn't have had so much the audacity to make that offer. Him lowering his value to that extent had nothing to do with them.

The Timberwolves were in a bad spot and did what probably 29 other teams would have done at the time, while holding their nose. Teams, especially small market ones, don't just let 22 year old, 1st overall picks, who they traded their franchise cornerstones for and who was putting up counting stats (empty calories sure, but this wasn't Bennett) walk.

Are you legitimately this obtuse or just pretending so you can critique every word I say? The Raptors got lucky that his injury history led to him wanting to sign now and not waiting a year to get more.

Again, I think the position is mostly luck. Sure, some do on the margins things better than others, but the big, consequential things are heavily dependant on it.
Better poster than you.

TD 21
12-25-2020, 07:06 PM
Better poster than you.

:lmao

tonight...you
12-25-2020, 07:18 PM
:lmao
Truth hurts. Laughter is a natural defense.

TD 21
12-25-2020, 07:29 PM
Truth hurts. Laughter is a natural defense.

Says the guy who's contributed virtually nothing of relevant substance on a basketball message board. You would judge this based off of who's more concerned with playing by the rules, so to speak.

Those who supposedly despise me sure have a funny way of showing it, by constantly flocking to threads after I post. Face it, I'm your guilty pleasure.

tonight...you
12-25-2020, 08:34 PM
Says the guy who's contributed virtually nothing of relevant substance on a basketball message board. You would judge this based off of who's more concerned with playing by the rules, so to speak.

Those who supposedly despise me sure have a funny way of showing it, by constantly flocking to threads after I post. Face it, I'm your guilty pleasure.
Whatevs homie. You do you. He's a better poster.

Sugus
12-29-2020, 01:52 PM
Whatevs homie. You do you. He's a better poster.

Missed this, thanks, I'm officially over the debate. TD 21 might be the most vicious case of Dunning-Kruger effect I've ever seen. Insane.

exstatic
12-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Being your own hype man would be more than a full time job. Don’t self toot that horn too much, though. People like to watch train wrecks, and you qualify.

Missed this, thanks, I'm officially over the debate. TD 21 might be the most vicious case of Dunning-Kruger effect I've ever seen. Insane.

TD 21
12-29-2020, 03:07 PM

The hypocricsy of this from the guy who just regurgigates the mainstream media take on virtually everything.

Being your own hype man would be more than a full time job. Don’t self toot that horn too much, though. People like to watch train wrecks, and you qualify.

I'm just stating the facts. If that's the excuse miserable old pukes like you want to use to justify reading my posts while supposedly despising me, so be it.