PDA

View Full Version : Rotations

Despot
11-10-2005, 02:41 AM
I have not seen anyone comment on this, so I'm a little curious what everyones take is?

I realize that Finley and Barry didn't play today, but so far, I haven't been able to make out any type of set rotations, seems to always be different.
I assume Pop is still working on it, but I would think I would be able to make something out. Is this just a product of a 10 man rotation? Is Pop playing matchups? Or maybe whoever is playing better Defense that night, or just playing better overall?

Normally, I wouldn't care about something like this so early in the season, but we do have the main core coming back from last year, so it shouldn't be this off. I think the rotation not being set is the reason that our Defensive rhythym is off.

Kori Ellis
11-10-2005, 02:50 AM
With the additions of Finley, NVE, and Oberto, Manu being banged up, and the fact that the starting center spot is up for grabs, I wouldn't expect the rotations to be set for months. Add in the injuries to Fin and Barry and that just compounds it.

wildbill2u
11-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Pop likes to tinker in normal times, looking to see which players play best with each other. And with the injuries to Manu, Brent and Finley at the same 'swing' position, he had to play minutes from players who wouldn't ordinarily play together (Tp & NVE).

NASR had an off night (6 rebounds offset by fouls and TOs) so Oberto got a little time.

All in all, the only Spurs with really good minutes in this game were TD TP and NVE--but that was enough to win against the Bobcats.

easjer
11-10-2005, 10:38 AM
You are also still dealing with getting the new guys to learn the defensive system (which is best learned by playing in real time) and letting them battle for minutes.

So NVE, Horry, Finley, Barry (when the latter are not injured) are seeing a lot more playing time now than they will in February or March.

Remember - it's only the first five games. If we wanted total lockdown, we could play the core for long minutes, but it's unnecessary and wearing on them. Better chemistry will be acheived by the oddball rotations, minus injuries.

TDMVPDPOY
11-10-2005, 11:08 AM
We can always call spree to deliver our pizza now :D