PDA

View Full Version : Players under contract beyond 2021, current Spur likeliest to be re-signed, and best available NBA free agents

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 04:32 PM
ASSUMPTION: Derrick, Keldon, Poetl all prove to be starters during the 2020-2021 season.

Rotation with players under contract beyond 2021 only:

Derrick White/ Dejounte Murray/ Tre Jones
Devin Vassell/ Lonnie Walker
Keldon Johnson
Luka Samanic
Jakob Poetl/ Drew Eubanks

Given the rotation above, in my opinion our biggest holes are: back-up wing, starting power forward, back-up power forward

The Spurs have to fill seven more spots. It is likely one or a couple current Spurs are re-signed to bolster our depth.

In your opinion, which of the following players will still be a Spur after this season?

Aldridge, DeMar, Trey Lyles, Keita-Bates Diop, Patty Mills, Quinndary Weatherspoon, Rudy Gay

In my opinion, the players likely to still be a Spur are: Rudy Gay, Trey Lyles, Quinndary Weatherspoon, and KBD with an outside chance.

LaMarcus Aldridge just doesn't look like he has any place on this roster unless he's willing to be a back-up to Jakob.

That leaves us with two to three more spots to fill the roster. The Spurs have their 1st round pick and their 2nd round pick for 2021.

Re-signing the five players I listed above does not address our weakness at the power forward spot. It is still the position with the least upside (no, Samanic is not enough). Therefore, I expect the 2021 first round draft pick to be used on a PF in next year's draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went through next year's free agent crop and I believe these are the best available:

PJ Tucker
Jrue Holiday (has a player option, probably going to opt in)
Otto Porter Jr.
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Evan Fournier
TJ McConnell
Spencer Dinwiddie

and unlikely to be available due to their status as restricted free agents:
Jonathan Isaac
OG Anunoby
John Collins
Luke Kennard

I think realistic targets are: PJ Tucker, Spencer Dinwiddie, Evan Fournier, Tim Hardaway Jr.

With all that said, my very early prediction for the roster going into next season will look like:

White/ Murray/ Tre
Vassell/ Lonnie/ Q
Keldon/ Fournier/ 2021 SRP
2021 FRP/ Gay/ PJ Tucker/ KBD
Poetl/ Eubanks

Damn, this looks complicated as hell. I truly believe a trade is coming by the deadline.

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 05:28 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1341148369415262208

Welp... No Isaac either.

Blackhaus
12-21-2020, 05:33 PM
Luke Kenard just extended with the Clips

BackHome
12-21-2020, 06:08 PM
Players who should hopefully be traded before end of trade dead line:

1. LMA - Just doesn't fit in with Rebuild get some picks
2. Derozz - Same
3. Rudy - Same
4. Mills - Same

Players Pop will want to bring back:

1. Mills - I like Mills but I think he wants minutes and a ring
2. Rudy - He has done everything Pop has asked so he might get the Gasol gift
3. Derroz - Not sure on this but if no one wants him bad enough I can see the Spurs keeping him if price is right and he wants to stay
4. Lyles - Pop new Bonner

So I think Ferry will be key in deciding who we keep and it comes down to Derozz and Diop.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-21-2020, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't mind DDR coming back. He played well with the young guys in the bubble. I'm not as much of a DeRozan hater as some on this site. So I guess I give Demar a half-hearted vote from the choices on that list.

I love Rudy, but he's about done. Mills...meh...if he'd accept a bench/mentor role. I love LMA, as well, tbh, but this team doesn't do well with him and DeRozan as starters together. Keep one of the two, methinks, just to have a veteran star. My appetite for either player being here next year is about the same, but only one of them. Goodbye Trey. Not sure yet if Weatherspoon or Diop can develop.

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 07:27 PM
https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1341158182316589056?s=19

John Collins is probably the most impressive. Still, feels like a Giannis daydream all over again. Surely, Atlanta's not giving up a 20/10 player like that...

cjw
12-21-2020, 07:52 PM
https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1341158182316589056?s=19

John Collins is probably the most impressive. Still, feels like a Giannis daydream all over again. Surely, Atlanta's not giving up a 20/10 player like that...

John Collins should get a max offer sheet from a team with space, and his agents know it. Atlanta with its awkward roster construction of Collins + Capella + OO not to mention Gallo may be open to signing and trading him.

Allen probably ends up back with the Nets because they won’t have cap space to replace him and he’s a food complementary piece with their roster.

Prime BEEF
12-21-2020, 09:57 PM
John Collins should get a max offer sheet from a team with space, and his agents know it. Atlanta with its awkward roster construction of Collins + Capella + OO not to mention Gallo may be open to signing and trading him.

Allen probably ends up back with the Nets because they won’t have cap space to replace him and he’s a food complementary piece with their roster.
Would love a sign and trade for Collins

Dennis the Menace
12-21-2020, 10:02 PM
Would love a sign and trade for Collins

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 10:13 PM
The max contract John Collins can get from a team is $29,467,800

The teams still with cap space that can afford that after today's events are: Knicks, Thunder, Spurs, Bulls, Cavaliers, Hornets. Miami is a little under that ($28,167,753), so he would have to take a slight pay cut to play with the Heat.

Off the top of my head, these are teams I think don't have a need for Collins. Please feel free to add your thoughts:

Knicks are already invested in Obi Toppin for the future.
Thunder are already invested in Poku.
Bulls may retain Lauri.
Cavaliers have Drummond who they may extend.
Hornets have PJ Washington

I could be wrong on some of these.

So maybe our only competitors are the Heat and Hawks for Collins?

This is IF the Spurs want to go this route. Collins seems the only one worth the max. Others are meh.

The other route they could take is go after a couple role players with that money...

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 10:23 PM
The max contract John Collins can get from a team is $29,467,800

The teams still with cap space that can afford that after today's events are: Knicks, Thunder, Spurs, Bulls, Cavaliers, Hornets. Miami is a little under that ($28,167,753), so he would have to take a slight pay cut to play with the Heat.

Off the top of my head, these are teams I think don't have a need for Collins. Please feel free to add your thoughts:

Knicks are already invested in Obi Toppin for the future.
Thunder are already invested in Poku.
Bulls may retain Lauri.
Cavaliers have Drummond who they may extend.
Hornets have PJ Washington

I could be wrong on some of these.

So maybe our only competitors are the Heat and Hawks for Collins?

This is IF the Spurs want to go this route. Collins seems the only one worth the max. Others are meh.

The other route they could take is go after a couple role players with that money...

If the Spurs go after Collins and successfully sign him,

The Spurs will have $28,743,464 cap space remaining to go for another player or players.

How likely is it that they go for another near max player? How much can the Spurs do before they hit the luxury tax? Would they be able to sign two max/ near max guys and re-sign a couple of their own guys? And would they be more willing to pay the luxury tax if they can sign a max contract caliber player like Collins?

Capologists? Chinook (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) ?

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 10:49 PM
https://twitter.com/JeffGSpursZone/status/1341228983946534913?s=19

We all knew

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 11:04 PM
Guess who shares the same agent with John Collins?

Answer: LaMarcus Aldridge

Dejounte
12-21-2020, 11:34 PM
I went over to the Hawks forum to go see what they felt about today.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/432860-no-extension-for-john-collins/page/11/#comments

They are not happy and they feel as if John Collins is stupid for passing up the Hawks' offer. They believe he will be overpaid by a team next year.

John's situation reminds me eerily of what happened with Harden when his time was up with the Thunder.

SAGirl
12-21-2020, 11:43 PM
I think you’d have to see how the youth fares this season with these vets. Honestly I’d want to see who develops well this season and which of the guys on the roster complement them. I suspect the FO will definitely bring some of thaws guys back for the right price but honestly, I think I need to see how they do b4 jumping into the pool. Like for a time I thought Bryn was going to be resigned bc The coach trusted him, played him and had him in high esteem (plus good character guy etc), and I thought he’d be cheap and the team will need some cheap role players right? But they did well not to resign him.

Is have to see how the Lyles/Samanic thing goes for example. The only thing Lyles has going for him over “Brent” is that the team is lacking in that position whereas Brent was getting pushed for minutes by first round draft picks that showed a lot of promise.

Botyom line, interesting discussion and thread. Right now I’d hope they replace Lyles/Gay and I’d hope Luka shows something at some point in the season. Unknown

Dejounte
12-22-2020, 01:40 AM
With how little Luka is mentioned as part of our young core, one has to think if he will be used as a trade chip.

Luka fits Atlanta's timeline for paying their players. They can't afford to commit to John right now and it doesn't make sense for them to.

Luka, 2021 FRP, and Aldridge will probably work for Atlanta in a sign and trade. I believe it equals the amount needed to sign Collins to the max contract too.

With the remainder of the cap, they could probably use it to re-sign DeMar and others.

White/ Murray/ Tre
Vassell/ Lonnie/ Q
Keldon/ DeMar/ 2021 SRP
Collins/ KBD/ Rudy Gay
Poetl/ Eubanks

This fits the Spurs philosophy of continuity.

On Atlanta's side, they get a HOF player they can re-sign to a cheaper salary after this season. Aldridge can mentor Onyeka Okongwu.

Dejounte
12-22-2020, 01:54 AM
Atlanta insider claims the Spurs offered Luka prior to the draft:

"SA - Been in talks with Atlanta but nothing is there so far and I finally got the okay on this one. They aren't open to trading White or Murray and Atlanta isn't hot on Samanic. They did offer LMA to Atlanta which I found interesting. There was some interest in a possible swap of 11/DeRozan for 6 from Atlanta if DD opts in but it was a nonstarter for San Antonio. Pop loves DD. SA been in talks with a number of teams to move up. I was told their target is Onyeka Okongwu. The issue with SA is they don't want to trade a future 1st and they don't want to move the PGs, DeRozan or Walker, as well as Keldon Johnson. It's kinda hard to make a move for players who aren't that appealing."

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/431653-ask-supes/page/156/#comments

SAGirl
12-22-2020, 02:07 AM
They should definitely look at potential trade targets 4 sure, specifically now that they have a lot of wings developing but unlikely to resign them all. They should be opportunistic, and be more aggressive eventually when they are better aware of what they have and what they need. Find playing time to Johnson, Vasell, White, Murray etc and see which are the best lineups etc then identify guys they think will fit. I always hope the Spurs were more aggressive with trades and they never are but eventually they will have to look at trades, to balance the talent. I think right now they are looking for the centerpieces.

I kind of still expect to see some of Luka at some point. He definitely has some warning signs about him but I just have to see for myself. Maybe I am just hoping someone pushes Lyles for minutes... I do like Collins as a possible target, but there could be others out there.

Wil there be mid season trades? I don’t know. I kind of think not just based on past Spurs track record. Still this is a developing subject as the guys start playing together and we see what the team has in the youth and what they need (and what they need to get rid off too).

I thought we could expect the youth to take steps forward because of all the extra time to work on their individual games but starting with injuries doesn’t give me confidence. I’ll have to see what happens.

mo7888
12-22-2020, 07:54 AM
ASSUMPTION: Derrick, Keldon, Poetl all prove to be starters during the 2020-2021 season.

Rotation with players under contract beyond 2021 only:

Derrick White/ Dejounte Murray/ Tre Jones
Devin Vassell/ Lonnie Walker
Keldon Johnson
Luka Samanic
Jakob Poetl/ Drew Eubanks

Given the rotation above, in my opinion our biggest holes are: back-up wing, starting power forward, back-up power forward

The Spurs have to fill seven more spots. It is likely one or a couple current Spurs are re-signed to bolster our depth.

In your opinion, which of the following players will still be a Spur after this season?

Aldridge, DeMar, Trey Lyles, Keita-Bates Diop, Patty Mills, Quinndary Weatherspoon, Rudy Gay

In my opinion, the players likely to still be a Spur are: Rudy Gay, Trey Lyles, Quinndary Weatherspoon, and KBD with an outside chance.

LaMarcus Aldridge just doesn't look like he has any place on this roster unless he's willing to be a back-up to Jakob.

That leaves us with two to three more spots to fill the roster. The Spurs have their 1st round pick and their 2nd round pick for 2021.

Re-signing the five players I listed above does not address our weakness at the power forward spot. It is still the position with the least upside (no, Samanic is not enough). Therefore, I expect the 2021 first round draft pick to be used on a PF in next year's draft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went through next year's free agent crop and I believe these are the best available:

PJ Tucker
Jrue Holiday (has a player option, probably going to opt in)
Otto Porter Jr.
Tim Hardaway Jr.
Evan Fournier
TJ McConnell
Spencer Dinwiddie

and unlikely to be available due to their status as restricted free agents:
Jonathan Isaac
OG Anunoby
John Collins
Luke Kennard

I think realistic targets are: PJ Tucker, Spencer Dinwiddie, Evan Fournier, Tim Hardaway Jr.

With all that said, my very early prediction for the roster going into next season will look like:

White/ Murray/ Tre
Vassell/ Lonnie/ Q
Keldon/ Fournier/ 2021 SRP
2021 FRP/ Gay/ PJ Tucker/ KBD
Poetl/ Eubanks

Damn, this looks complicated as hell. I truly believe a trade is coming by the deadline.

I think a trade is coming as well. I think the candidates to move are (not trading all just one or two from this group) LMA, DDR, Murray, Lonnie, Gay, and Patty.

As for FA next season its pretty bleak. Of the list you gave I could see Fournier or Otto Porter Jr.

I also keep seeing the narrative of us using cap space to take bad contracts for an asset. I'm all for that but, with so many teams having cap space and no where to spend it there may not be a market worth doing that for us next summer. We might be better overpaying a guy on a short term contract and using the space a year or two down the road.

mo7888
12-22-2020, 07:58 AM
I went over to the Hawks forum to go see what they felt about today.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/432860-no-extension-for-john-collins/page/11/#comments

They are not happy and they feel as if John Collins is stupid for passing up the Hawks' offer. They believe he will be overpaid by a team next year.

John's situation reminds me eerily of what happened with Harden when his time was up with the Thunder.

That's a good comparison..

Mr. Body
12-22-2020, 07:59 AM
Having watched a lot of Nets games, I like Jarrett Allen a lot but don't see a way they wouldn't keep him.

Mr. Body
12-22-2020, 08:00 AM
I believe with cap space, the Spurs can absorb salary and don't have to use it to sign FAs necessarily. This is something they could use in many ways, absorbing relatively bad salary to get picks, trading for players under contract, and so on.

Dejounte
12-22-2020, 08:34 AM
I believe with cap space, the Spurs can absorb salary and don't have to use it to sign FAs necessarily. This is something they could use in many ways, absorbing relatively bad salary to get picks, trading for players under contract, and so on.

Most definitely true. Hard to make a list of players for that though. Have to really dig through each fan forum of each team to identify which players could be up for sale.

San Antonio Slayer
12-22-2020, 08:35 AM
Svi Mikhailyuk

Chinook
12-22-2020, 09:26 AM
If the Spurs go after Collins and successfully sign him,

The Spurs will have $28,743,464 cap space remaining to go for another player or players.

How likely is it that they go for another near max player? How much can the Spurs do before they hit the luxury tax? Would they be able to sign two max/ near max guys and re-sign a couple of their own guys? And would they be more willing to pay the luxury tax if they can sign a max contract caliber player like Collins?

Capologists? Chinook (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) ?

Nah, they aren't going to max out two guys at this point. I think there's a chance they go for a guy on a deal a bit above the MLE though. Only way I see them having a second guy making over $20 Million is if they re-up DeRozan. There was and I guess still is the possibility that they sign a superstar and then trade for one, but that's incredibly unlikely. They shouldn't hesitate to sit on cap space or make deals for assets. It's likely not going to be a great summer for that, but heck, maybe the Warriors want to get out of Wiggins' deal and that Minny pick is like 7-10. Dumping Murray for him and the pick might make sense for both sides. I'd have to calc it though or mess around with the Capulator.

I don't know if your number includes a pick hold, but the Spurs might well be bad enough to win the lottery this year. That would eat into a lot of the free space.

Dejounte
12-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Nah, they aren't going to max out two guys at this point. I think there's a chance they go for a guy on a deal a bit above the MLE though. Only way I see them having a second guy making over $20 Million is if they re-up DeRozan. There was and I guess still is the possibility that they sign a superstar and then trade for one, but that's incredibly unlikely. They shouldn't hesitate to sit on cap space or make deals for assets. It's likely not going to be a great summer for that, but heck, maybe the Warriors want to get out of Wiggins' deal and that Minny pick is like 7-10. Dumping Murray for him and the pick might make sense for both sides. I'd have to calc it though or mess around with the Capulator.

I don't know if your number includes a pick hold, but the Spurs might well be bad enough to win the lottery this year. That would eat into a lot of the free space.

So one guy at the max,
Another guy above the MLE ($10 million-ish)
And re-sign a couple players

Gotcha