PDA

View Full Version : I Miss These Guys

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 08:47 PM
https://img.particlenews.com/img/id/0B4Ewm_0Y1XYAli00?type=thumbnail_512x288

Just remembering this version of the Spurs brings a smile to my face. The current version is Depressing, even if there are some promising players. At least Brent Forms is gone.

timvp
12-21-2020, 09:20 PM
Exhalers like TD 21 and Mugen said all the players in that pic were Gutless Worms, tbh . . .

Mugen
12-21-2020, 09:27 PM
Exhalers like TD 21 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17781) and Mugen (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15519) said all the players in that pic were Gutless Worms, tbh . . .

Can't remember that tbh. I do remember Pop coaching a garbage series against Dallas, glad that my main man Tiago was able to rally the troops that series en route to the last championship this franchise will probably see in our lifetimes :lol

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 09:29 PM
Can't remember that tbh. I do remember Pop coaching a garbage series against Dallas, glad that my main man Tiago was able to rally the troops that series en route to the last championship this franchise will probably see in our lifetimes :lol

Most underrated Spur of that iteration alongside LDN tbh. Anyone remember what the story was behind Splitter not being in that photo?

timvp
12-21-2020, 09:41 PM
Most underrated Spur of that iteration alongside LDN tbh. Anyone remember what the story was behind Splitter not being in that photo?

Derek Fisher refused to sign his permission slip.

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 09:46 PM

Was it because Splitter couldn't get off the bench that Pop glued him to?

timtonymanu
12-21-2020, 09:47 PM
The Big 3, Wing Stop, Diaw 2.0, Splitter, Mills

and then Beli, Cojo, Baynes having their moments in the postseason, Bonner being used in the right role. Special team. :cry

timvp
12-21-2020, 09:52 PM
Was it because Splitter couldn't get off the bench that Pop glued him to?

Nah, Fisher said he would sign it right after Splitter scored on him in the post, tbh, IIRC.

timtonymanu
12-21-2020, 09:54 PM

Spurs sending Fisher, Battier, and Allen into retirement all in one playoff run was the cherry on top, tbh.

timtonymanu
12-21-2020, 09:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOciqm1QApA

Tim Duncan: "We got four more to win. We'll do it this time."

rankingtear
12-21-2020, 09:57 PM
Exhalers like TD 21 (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=17781) and Mugen (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15519) said all the players in that pic were Gutless Worms, tbh . . .

Haha, remembered the Gutless Worms bit peak toxicity in Spurstalk was when we were contenders.

timvp
12-21-2020, 10:01 PM
Haha, remembered the Gutless Worms bit peak toxicity in Spurstalk was when we were contenders.

Yeah, I mean, imagine being miserable during the Golden Years. That magic will never be recaptured, tbh. Thankfully, some of us realized how great we had it at the time and cherished every moment.

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 10:01 PM
Nah, Fisher said he would sign it right after Splitter scored on him in the post, tbh, IIRC.

Too bad Pop never put him in the game tbh. It wouldn't of been fair to the turd towers.

timvp
12-21-2020, 10:03 PM
Too bad Pop never put him in the game tbh. It wouldn't of been fair to the turd towers.

If only he could have gotten that permission slip signed sooner, tbh.

exstatic
12-21-2020, 10:05 PM
My two favorite player seasons: Manu 2004-2005 and Boris 2013-2014.

Boris 2.0 altered games and defenses. When he was dialed in, which was a lot that season, he was a holy terror because he was such a Swiss Army knife. Defend him with a big? He turned into a guard. Defend him with a guard or a wing? He’d back them down, and do one of three things: flip up that buttery croissant hook shot, find a cutter, or whip a laser pass to a spot up shooter. Lots of bigs can pass, but few of them could do it on the move, handling the ball.

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 10:06 PM
If only he could have gotten that permission slip signed sooner, tbh.

Can't get it signed if you can't get off the bench imo.

timvp
12-21-2020, 10:12 PM
Can't get it signed if you can't get off the bench imo.

Should have gone with the power dribble and the jump hook. That would have gotten the job done.

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 10:17 PM
Should have gone with the power dribble and the jump hook. That would have gotten the job done.

A dunk would've been better, but we know the Golden God was a fan of soft hooks.

playblair
12-21-2020, 10:25 PM
best player in that pic is austin daye..........blair single handedly took the spurs to 7 games

phxspurfan
12-21-2020, 10:40 PM

ah, good memories. One last vintage run by TD right before the wheels finally fell off.

Robz4000
12-21-2020, 10:46 PM
ah, good memories. One last vintage run by TD right before the wheels finally fell off.

The 2015 first round series against the Clippers was vintage Timmy tbh.

phxspurfan
12-21-2020, 11:03 PM

True, that last call was BS. Clear WWE NBA BS.

And also another example of a guy in Blake Griffin having the series of his life against us.

SAGirl
12-21-2020, 11:10 PM
As I understood it that was a funny schtick (it started way b4 my time so I don’t know if it was ever 4 real). I’ll admit that team definitely spoiled me. Even if this past team was gutless worms more often than not last season it just wasn’t funny to calm them that. Kinda tragic actually, are we out of the woods yet? I think not.

timvp
12-21-2020, 11:12 PM
As I understood it that was a funny schtick (it started way b4 my time so I don’t know if it was ever 4 real).

That was real life, amazingly enough. Exhalers miserable during the middle of a dynasty.

SAGirl
12-21-2020, 11:18 PM
That was real life, amazingly enough. Exhalers miserable during the middle of a dynasty.
Oh glad I missed that then. When I came along it was a funny schtick. :-) probably bc it had been around for many years ;-) and got bumped up to laugh on.

GAustex
12-21-2020, 11:18 PM
Hate to say it but I thought all was lost when Westbrick was steaming for the hoop and our young hope #2 somehow miraculously swiped it from Westbrook.
Amazing
I had a hard time processing what had happened.
What a team. Good times

SAGirl
12-21-2020, 11:23 PM
Good times.

offset formation
12-22-2020, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I mean, imagine being miserable during the Golden Years. That magic will never be recaptured, tbh. Thankfully, some of us realized how great we had it at the time and cherished every moment.

Tells you lots about personalities

Dejounte
12-22-2020, 09:00 AM

Makes you question their judgment in modern times, whether they're able to give credit when credit is due or will they just blabber off like old upset grandpas.

GAustex
12-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Murray has under performed
Get over it

Ice009
12-22-2020, 09:27 AM

Tim was awesome against the Clippers in 2015. People seem to forget that series (he wasn't great in every game, but TD battled hard in most of the games, especially game 7 on the road and again, at the end of the series, I thought he was the Spurs best player). I thought he was incredible going up against two super athletic big guys in their prime (with his diminished athleticism at that point of his career), and battling them to the last seconds of game 7 (that was also probably Griffin's best series ever. It pisses me off that he's hasn't really played that well after). TD played his ass off in game 7. I remember how zoned in he as I recall him hitting all his free throws (15/15? and on the road too), and did all he could to help us get into the next round. This is also the reason I loved TD so much. A lot of time, in the biggest games, he left it all out there. I hardly ever put any blame on Tim for a lot of the Spurs' toughest losses. He always showed up 95% of the time and you really couldn't fault him at the end of the game. It's usually other guys that didn't do enough to help him IMO.

It's too bad that TP and Tiago were both injured and the rest of the guys shrivelled up (Kawhi - I'm pointing at you. Kawhi vanished after starting off the series great). I think the Spurs had a real chance to win it again that year, especially with the way TD was playing and the determination he had to go further on and compete for the Championship (too bad other guys didn't go along on the ride in game 7 to help him out). Unfortunately, with the injuries to Tiago and TP, they probably couldn't have gone much further than the second round, but I truly believe if the whole team was healthy, the could have won it all again. It's also the last series Patty played where I thought he was pretty darn good in the minutes he was given, and I was wondering throughout the series why the hell Pop wasn't playing him more, choosing to play a hobbled Tony Parker instead. Man, Pop really has fallen off a fucking cliff since 2014.

lefty
12-22-2020, 09:33 AM
It'S the past

They are not coming back

They are gone

GONE!

Move on a wait until the team is competitive again

exstatic
12-22-2020, 09:38 AM
People don’t realize what a fucking miracle we witnessed. FIVE TITLES. FIVE TITLES. Utah is probably the best comp as far as well run small market teams, and they have ZERO TITLES. Dejounte was commenting on the current Utah management re-signing Gobert, and that they were likely a second round out for the next 5; years, and I thought, fuck, I’d settle for that. Short of finding a generational player again, not a likely prospect, I think that’s the best you can do: build a team that will make the second round, and either benefit from an unfortunate injury to another team, or that your guys catch lighting in a bottle for a playoff run.

lefty
12-22-2020, 09:39 AM
People don’t realize what a fucking miracle we witnessed. FIVE TITLES. FIVE TITLES. Utah is probably the best comp as far as well run small market teams, and they have ZERO TITLES. Dejounte was commenting on the current Utah management re-signing Gobert, and that they were likely a second round out for the next 5; years, and I thought, fuck, I’d settle for that. Short of finding a generational player again, not a likely prospect, I think that’s the best you can do: build a team that will make the second round, and either benefit from an unfortunate injury to another team, or that your guys catch lighting in a bottle for a playoff run.
We were spoiled
Our franchise player was a generational supersttar who didn't go to a bigger market
Players have more power today though, if DUncan was drafted in 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if he would bold to a bigger city tbh

exstatic
12-22-2020, 10:00 AM
We were spoiled
Our franchise player was a generational supersttar who didn't go to a bigger market
Players have more power today though, if DUncan was drafted in 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if he would bold to a bigger city tbh

I’m not sure he would, and kind of doubt it. Those players who bolt tend to be betas, guys who can’t win as the centerpiece. That was never a problem for Tim.

CGD
12-22-2020, 10:29 AM
Is that NBA Champion Austin Daye in that picture?

CGD
12-22-2020, 10:33 AM

So many gems I had forgotten about:

1. Leonard snatch/steal on Birk
2. KD choking at the end of regulation by fumbling ball
3. Diaw being Diaw (in my view the guy who made that team go)
4. Duncan’s jump hook to seal it
5. Green with a reliable 3 ball
6. That Manu 3

Mugen
12-22-2020, 10:40 AM

It's funny how you think that's where the bar is currently at for "Exhalers" (Pretty lame but you're welcome for that btw, since I coined the Sniff Crew).

When in actuality, the bar the last couple of seasons has been "Play Dejounte and Derrick together" or "Play Derrick more than Bryn"....

And your Senile God couldn't even clear that. :lol

lefty
12-22-2020, 10:48 AM
I’m not sure he would, and kind of doubt it. Those players who bolt tend to be betas, guys who can’t win as the centerpiece. That was never a problem for Tim.

Lebron has always been the centerpiece of his teams

Dex
12-22-2020, 11:15 AM
So many gems I had forgotten about:

1. Leonard snatch/steal on Birk
2. KD choking at the end of regulation by fumbling ball
3. Diaw being Diaw (in my view the guy who made that team go)
4. Duncan’s jump hook to seal it
5. Green with a reliable 3 ball
6. That Manu 3

That goddamn game gave me about 5 heart attacks.

Considering how much trouble the KD/Wesbtrook Thunder gave the Spurs, it was poetic to get through them to get back to the Finals.

exstatic
12-22-2020, 11:16 AM

He got to the Finals, but didn’t win until he formed the Heatles after bolting Cleveland. He moved first, THEN he won, after teaming up with two other All Stars. Still beta-ish tendencies.

Dex
12-22-2020, 11:21 AM

LeBron seems to have a strategy. Make his team sell out to put talent around him (which can only last for 3-4 years now due to cap restrictions and luxury tax), then move on to another team who will sell out to put talent around him.

TDomination
12-22-2020, 12:32 PM

timmy was amazing in this series.
we should have won game 6. pops hack a jordan genius plan while we were winning the game was a momentum shifter. we were up like 8, he initiates the hack a plan and he makes jordan makes the ft's and shifts momentum.

lefty
12-22-2020, 01:43 PM
He got to the Finals, but didn’t win until he formed the Heatles after bolting Cleveland. He moved first, THEN he won, after teaming up with two other All Stars. Still beta-ish tendencies.
Breakig news : superstsar player canT win titles on his own :lol

And let's not forget Duncan seriously considered Orlando whe he was a FA
He would have teamed up there

exstatic
12-22-2020, 02:02 PM
Breakig news : superstsar player canT win titles on his own :lol

And let's not forget Duncan seriously considered Orlando whe he was a FA
He would have teamed up there

Yeah, but he didn’t go. Jordan never left. Kobe never left. Hell, Dirk never left. DWade only left for money after his window shut. Those guys are alphas. They won where they landed from the draft.

spurraider21
12-22-2020, 02:26 PM
i long advocated for TD 21 to be stripped of that username. nobody who was that big of a bitch baby is worthy of that name. needed to be re-assisgned to RJ 24

spurraider21
12-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Yeah, but he didn’t go. Jordan never left. Kobe never left. Hell, Dirk never left. DWade only left for money after his window shut. Those guys are alphas. They won where they landed from the draft.
kobe forced his way out of charlotte

he demanded to be traded from the lakers to the bulls (different than merely considering leaving)

Mugen
12-22-2020, 02:35 PM
:lol Kirby never even sniffed a title when he didn't have either a) Shaq b) or by far the most dominant frontcourt in the league (combo of Pau/Bynum/Odom/Artest).

His last 2 rings were also when the West was at its weakest in the last 20+ years tbh. Bunch of middle of the road teams that wouldn't even come close to being as good as the prime Spurs, prime Dubs, KD/Russ Thunder, etc....the best Western team his Lakers ever beat was probably the 2008 Spurs tbh.

daslicer
12-22-2020, 03:29 PM
We were spoiled

Doubt it Duncan is a guy who is really secure with who he is. Duncan is an introvert that likes to live a very private life. He hates big cities. He almost left the Spurs for Orlando which was another small market but never had a desire to be in a big market like NYC,LA,etc.

daslicer
12-22-2020, 03:31 PM

Agreed I appreciated the 5 titles and never took them for granted knowing how hard it is to win just 1 title. Those 5 titles have made me pretty much content for the rest of my life when it comes to the spurs. I have low expectations. The only thing I want is to a see team that is exciting to watch.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-22-2020, 04:34 PM
That 2014 title was the icing on the Spurs' dynasty cake. A special group of players, and just such a motivated group. I was sweating a bit in the Dallas series, and again with OKC. I knew we'd beat Miami.

And I was at game 5. Perfect Father's Day.

Mugen
12-22-2020, 04:37 PM
That 2014 title was the icing on the Spurs' dynasty cake. A special group of players, and just such a motivated group. I was sweating a bit in the Dallas series, and again with OKC. I knew we'd beat Miami.

Game 5 will be the highlight of my life as a sports fan. I could have died shortly after Manu yammed on Bosh and I would have been perfectly happy tbh.

GAustex
12-22-2020, 04:44 PM
Yammed
Lol

Obi Juan Kenobi
12-22-2020, 04:49 PM
That goddamn game gave me about 5 heart attacks.

Considering how much trouble the KD/Wesbtrook Thunder gave the Spurs, it was poetic to get through them to get back to the Finals.

Yep, it definitely made up for the 2012 backdoor sweep...that was such a painful result to stomach...

Along with the Nephew steal and the Manu clutch 3, seeing Timmy take it to Ibaka who had been bullying our team for far too long was so satisfying...I had been yelling at the TV all game long for Timmy to do that to him!!!

Gibbz
12-22-2020, 05:51 PM

Tiago was absolutely dominant in that postseason run. 136/103 ORtg/DRtg and we might not have gotten out of that Dallas series without him.

DMC
12-22-2020, 06:23 PM
Timvp: "fart"

Half the forum: "+1!!!!"

timtonymanu
12-22-2020, 07:06 PM

It was great because the Spurs got redemption against Dallas for 2006, OKC for 2012, and Miami for the 2013 Finals. Only thing that would have made it a little better was if the rockets advanced instead of Portland just so the Spurs could have beaten the jackasses on that Rockets team.

RC_Drunkford
12-22-2020, 08:44 PM
My two favorite player seasons: Manu 2004-2005 and Boris 2013-2014.

Boris 2.0 altered games and defenses. When he was dialed in, which was a lot that season, he was a holy terror because he was such a Swiss Army knife. Defend him with a big? He turned into a guard. Defend him with a guard or a wing? He’d back them down, and do one of three things: flip up that buttery croissant hook shot, find a cutter, or whip a laser pass to a spot up shooter. Lots of bigs can pass, but few of them could do it on the move, handling the ball.

2014 Diaw is one of the best Championship Team role players ever. Shit that whole team is probably one of the 5 best teams in NBA history if you ask me

RC_Drunkford
12-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Hate to say it but I thought all was lost when Westbrick was steaming for the hoop and our young hope #2 somehow miraculously swiped it from Westbrook.
Amazing
I had a hard time processing what had happened.
What a team. Good times

same here. I thought it was over when he went coast to coast and then nephew stole the ball. Legendary defensive play for sure. Fuck him though

RC_Drunkford
12-22-2020, 08:55 PM
timmy was amazing in this series.
we should have won game 6. pops hack a jordan genius plan while we were winning the game was a momentum shifter. we were up like 8, he initiates the hack a plan and he makes jordan makes the ft's and shifts momentum.

That part. That was the beginning of the end. Flopovich got worse every year. 2017 was the only year where he did a good coaching job until Zaza happened. Other than that he made major mistakes in every series ever since.

2015 was a combination of using Hack-A-Jordan in the wrong moments, not being able to counter that double screen and roll and overplaying an injured Tony Parker

Seventyniner
12-22-2020, 09:21 PM

I am so damn salty about going to game 2 over game 5 when I was forced to choose one. I legit thought there might not be a game 5.

exstatic
12-22-2020, 09:25 PM
I am so damn salty about going to game 2 over game 5 when I was forced to choose one. I legit thought there might not be a game 5.

Any Finals game is an amazing experience. I went to game one in each series of 2003, 2005, and 2007.

Seventyniner
12-22-2020, 09:41 PM
Any Finals game is an amazing experience. I went to game one in each series of 2003, 2005, and 2007.

I don't regret going to game 2, only that I had to choose between 2 and 5, and made what ended up being the wrong choice. Game 2 felt doubly bad because nobody I talked to on the way out of the arena thought the series was going any less than 6 games. After game 1 I thought the Spurs might sweep, after game 2 I had doubts they would win the series at all. The heat of the moment, I suppose.

The only other Finals game I have been to is game 1 in 1999. That was off the chain, even though my seat was all the way up under the upper deck to where I couldn't even see the court when I stood up.

GAustex
12-22-2020, 09:54 PM
I cried at the ‘99 win. Finally they broke through. David won at last. All the close calls and broken dreams from the past washed away.

lefty
12-22-2020, 11:46 PM
Timvp: "fart"

Half the forum: "+1!!!!"

:lol

Ice009
12-23-2020, 07:47 AM
Yep, it definitely made up for the 2012 backdoor sweep...that was such a painful result to stomach...

Along with the Nephew steal and the Manu clutch 3, seeing Timmy take it to Ibaka who had been bullying our team for far too long was so satisfying...I had been yelling at the TV all game long for Timmy to do that to him!!!

There was also a goaltend that wasn't called in game 6 2014 against OKC that gave me flashbacks to 2012 (anyone remember the goal tend on Manu by Ibaka in game 5 2012 that helped give the Thunder the win? Manu was on the ground under the basket on what should have been a goaltend, then had to get up a few seconds later, sprinted back and fouled James Harden for the 3 and 1. It was a 5 point swing that cost us the game). As far as I'm concerned, we're still owed a game 7 in 2012. Spurs should have went back to OKC up 3-2. I was fucking livid when it happened again in 2014 (I think it was Ibaka again that goaltended Manu deep in the 4th quarter, but it again wasn't called a goaltend just like in the 2012 series). Everyone on the Spurs was locked in during that second half of game 6 Vs the Thunder (TD and Manu especially). I could just feel that they were not going to let the Thunder do that to them again.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-23-2020, 01:46 PM

I also laughed at Gobert’s contract but you’re absolutely right. Small market teams are lucky to win a title once in 20-30 years and it’s very likely we’ve started that timer fairly recently. It’ll be a great FO job if the Spurs could reach the second round in the next 3-5 years, barring some great luck.

The TD times were incredible though and that 5th was the most special one and all I’ve ever wanted as a fan. Now I have plenty of patience and goodwill as the Spurs are in transition. Nothing can take 5 away.

TD 21
12-23-2020, 01:55 PM

I believe this is the literal definition of rent free. :lmao

DMC
12-23-2020, 08:01 PM