PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Preview: 5 Burning Questions

Dex
12-22-2020, 01:49 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/san-antonio-spurs-2020-2021-preview-5-burning-questions/

The 2020-2021 NBA season tips off tonight, and the Spurs face their first challenge tomorrow when they visit Memphis for a matchup against the Grizzlies.

A lot of questions still swirl around the team following a disappointing and delayed season, a surprising burst in the Disney NBA bubble, and a quick turnaround to the new year. The answers to these questions will determine how the Spurs will look going forward.

Robz4000
12-22-2020, 02:10 PM
Pretty obvious after two seasons of it that DPR and LMA get in each other's way.

We've already seen White break out and Murray is what he is at this point. This is proving time for Lonnie though; if he doesn't show consistent improvement I'd seriously look into moving him while there's still first round value there since you can't pay everybody.

The defense will be markedly better due to the fact Forms and Beli are off the team by itself. Now it'll just come down to consistent mental and physical effort from the likes of DPR and Lonnie on that end.

Vassell has more than earned minutes out of the gate, but with Pop at the helm it'll prolly take until DPR and LMA are off the team before he actually gets real burn.

From what it sounds like teams won't even offer a late first for either LMA or DPR so it wouldn't shock me if they agree to leave money on the table for the Spurs to cut them loose. Makes a lot of sense when you consider the economic climate for NBA teams; saving millions may be worth it enough for SA, plus there's the whole "doing right by them" philosophy this team has been following lately to the detriment of themselves.

timvp
12-22-2020, 03:05 PM
Good stuff, OP :tu

On paper, the defense should be improved with Forbes and Beli gone. But, then again, if Aldridge and DeRozan lose a step, the impact of that will be felt mostly on the defensive end and would probably negate any boost gained by subtracting Forbinelli. Will be interesting, nonetheless.

Mr. Body
12-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Well written.

poopbox
12-22-2020, 03:30 PM
Now that both have been paid will Derrick and Dejounte play together consistently :lol

PhantomDashCam
12-22-2020, 05:24 PM
Thanks OP.
Another interesting development will be at the 4 where the Spurs can either go big or with a wing. It may very well become the teams annual de-facto, rotating door position.
I haven’t given up on Trey Lyles yet as on paper (and for latter parts of the prior season), he fits the teams triple threat assault long term.
Sham hopefully will be the solution in a couple of years there but that’s very much TBD.

BackHome
12-22-2020, 06:54 PM
Wow we are 1 of 5 teams that did not make at least one trade I guess were so good decided did not have to mess with perfection. As far as free agents and having all this money I see maybe one or two people at max I would sign to a long term deal and I just don't see us brining in anyone who is good. I guess we can and probably should take a bad contract for a good draft pick and go from there as far as what ever direction we going in.

rankingtear
12-22-2020, 07:04 PM
Great article.

Studies have shown that a good Big Man defender can cover 2 - 3 average/bad perimeter defenders. Defense would still go as far as LA ability on that end.

RC_Drunkford
12-22-2020, 08:59 PM
Haven’t read the article yet, but the #1 question should be:

Can Alzheimovich find the right starting line up before Covid-21 hits?

And the answer is no

Dex
12-23-2020, 10:44 AM
Great article.

Studies have shown that a good Big Man defender can cover 2 - 3 average/bad perimeter defenders. Defense would still go as far as LA ability on that end.

LaMarcus actually put up some good defense in his first few years in San Antonio. He's also been mentored by Duncan since he arrived.

Maybe if the Spurs can shift more of the focus on offense to DeMar and the young guns, LMA will be able to spend more of his energy on defense.

Then again...old man legs is a real thing, and he's not quite as spry as he used to be.

jjspur
12-23-2020, 01:25 PM
We will know probably within the first dozen or so games where we stand. If we can stay close to .500 its a good sign. If we are like 2 wins and 10 losses it time to trade Aldridge for maybe a low end 1st rounder or 2 second rounders. The $$$ savings for the team, will be worth more than all the losses and zero savings.