PDA

View Full Version : Detroit (4-0) at Phoenix (2-2)

ducks
11-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Detroit (4-0) at Phoenix (2-2)
Preview - Box Score - Recap
Game Info: 10:30 pm EST Thu Nov 10, 2005
TV: TNT Add to Calendar
Buy Tickets
The Detroit Pistons look to extend their season-opening winning streak to five games when they visit the Phoenix Suns.

The Pistons started a five-game road trip by ending an eight-game losing streak in Sacramento with a 102-88 victory over the Kings on Tuesday.

Tayshaun Prince made 10 straight shots and finished with a game-high 25 points for Detroit, which hasn't missed a beat since the departure of coach Larry Brown, who in New York after leading the Pistons to an NBA title in 2003-04 and an appearance in last year's Finals.

``In that situation, I'm going to shoot until I miss,'' Prince said. ``And with this coaching staff, we're going to ride whoever is hot. It's definitely a big confidence-booster. What's most important is the coaching staff is behind you.''

Detroit's first 4-0 start since 1996-97 can be credited to coach Flip Saunders' strategy to open up the offense while maintaining the team's defensive intensity.

The Pistons are averaging 102.3 points per game, which is a drastic boost from the 93.3 they averaged last year en route to a seven-game loss to San Antonio in the Finals.

Richard Hamilton ranks among the league leaders in scoring with just over 25 points per game and Prince has raised his scoring average by nearly five points from last season.

In addition, the Pistons' defense ranks second in the league, holding opponents to 85.3 points per game.

Detroit's defense will be tested against the Suns' league-best scoring offense.

Despite trading Quentin Richardson and Joe Johnson in the offseason, and having star power forward Amare Stoudemire out for at least four months while he recovers from knee surgery, the Suns are averaging 111 points per game.

After winning two straight, Phoenix began a five-game homestand with a heartbreaking 118-117 loss to Sacramento on Sunday.

The Suns seemed to miss Stoudemire's frontcourt presence as Kings forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim scored Sacramento's final six points and blocked a shot with seconds remaining to steal the win.

The Suns were outscored 39-26 in the third quarter, but bounced back to outscore the Kings 31-24 in the fourth.

``We couldn't stop them in the third quarter,'' Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. ``Rahim down low was a handful, but we figured it out in the fourth.''

At 2-2, the Suns have yet to win a home game this season. After hosting Detroit on Thursday, Phoenix continues its homestand with matchups against Golden State, Memphis and Utah.

STANDINGS (through Nov. 9): Pistons - 1st place, Central Division. Suns - 4th place, 1 1/2 GB, Pacific Division.

PROBABLE STARTERS: Pistons - F Prince, F Rasheed Wallace, C Ben Wallace, G Hamilton, G Chauncey Billups. Suns - F James Jones, F Shawn Marion, C Kurt Thomas, G Raja Bell, G Steve Nash.

TEAM LEADERS: Pistons - Hamilton, 25.5 ppg; Ben Wallace, 13.0 rpg; Billups, 8.8 apg. Suns - Marion, 19.8 ppg and 13.8 rpg; Nash, 12.5 apg.

2004-05 SEASON SERIES: Tied, 1-1.

LAST MEETING: March 3, 2005; Suns, 100-97. At Phoenix, Nash had 16 points and 14 assists to lead the Suns as Phoenix salvaged a season-series split with the defending NBA champions.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Pistons - 2-0 on the road. Suns - 0-2 at home.

JMarkJohns
11-10-2005, 12:45 PM
10 point win for Detroit.

Bruno
11-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Diaw will start at PF and James Jones will be on the bench.
I'm happy for Boris he is such a nice guy.

baseline bum
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
I can't wait to finally see the Pistons in action. Man, I hope for another rematch in the Finals.

mavsfan1000
11-10-2005, 04:14 PM
Pistons should win this game easily. Phoenix without Amare is in trouble.

Marklar MM
11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Pistons should win this game easily. Phoenix without Amare is in trouble.

I wouldn't bet on that. It will all come down to containing Nash.

boutons
11-10-2005, 04:21 PM
'What's most important is the coaching staff is behind you"

Ouch!! Tay, which coaching staffing was behind you earlier? :)

mavsfan1000
11-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Billups is the perfect man to contain Nash along with the Wallaces getting his back.

ABDENOUR POWER
11-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Sheed needs to have a big game.