PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Spurs should blame Tim Duncan for their mess

ImFromBeijing
07-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Isn't he the one who wanted Jason Kidd all along despite the existence of Tony Parker? You could have got Michael Olowokandi and a swingman (Corey Maggette) for 6-7 million each. Instead you went for a bigger name player who plays the same position as your best young player. You think Tony Parker will forget this when he's read to negotiate for his next contract?

T Park Num 9
07-11-2003, 06:20 PM
worry bout your own team and how Payton and Malone are gonna give up shots without bitching.

ducks
07-11-2003, 06:22 PM
well kobe and shaq said they wanted gp. now when it backfires on the lakers you can blame them

picnroll
07-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Tony forget this? Yep.

btw Peking Duck what you gonna do next year when Payton and Malone walk and free agent Kobe looks around and see Walton and Cook and old man Shaq lacing up and decides to try to recreate his Jordan fantasies in Chicago?

kohai
07-11-2003, 06:24 PM
You could have got Michael Olowokandi and a swingman (Corey Maggette) for 6-7 million each.
?? They still can, if that's who they want. Not hearing too much buzz about either, yet.

T Park Num 9
07-11-2003, 06:25 PM

Temple Of The Dog
07-11-2003, 06:28 PM
i blame tim for winning that damn championship... damn him... damn him... damn that tim duncan!!!

i blame shaq for making jabba the hut look like a health nut... and kobe for feeling up more ass than a proctologist...

tony parker will be fine schooling gary payton's ass like he did in the playoffs 2 years ago... he'll make gary's dad slap him like a baby again. (maybe while on camera in an interview wearing his new laker hat!)

scott
07-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Long time no see Jing, welcome back.

You pose an interesting question. Has Tony taken the love affair with Jason Kidd personally? Will he hold a grudge for the next 2 years?

I honestly think the answer is no.

ImFromBeijing
07-11-2003, 06:33 PM
tony parker will be fine schooling gary payton's ass like he did in the playoffs 2 years ago... he'll make gary's dad slap him like a baby again. (maybe while on camera in an interview wearing his new laker hat!)

As some of the Spurs fans pointed out (in different thread), the main reason Tony scored so many points against the Sonics is because he wasn't the focal point of Sonics' defensive scheme -- Duncan is. And GP didn't have a center whom he could funnel Tony Parker to.

Now the situation is completely different, GP doesn't have to worry about double-teaming Duncan or scoring 25 any more, he could just concentrate on denying Tony Parker.

kohai
07-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Uh, yeah, go ahead an funnel Tony to Shaqqa the Hut. Worked REAL well for your guards last year. Fact is, Payton can NOT stay in front of Tony, and that will cause problems for LA.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-11-2003, 06:39 PM
actually, Payton can still cover Parker pretty damn good when he respects his speed and backs up a step...his footwork is still good enough to stay in front of him and keep him from driving...

kohai
07-11-2003, 06:41 PM
CC, that was in the 2002 playoffs. Parker's shot is WAY better now, and he has that nice teardrop for when he BLOWS BY Gary. He didn't have that last time they met...

ImFromBeijing
Long time no see Jing, welcome back.

Good to see you again Scott.

I am actually in LA now. I came here to watch Lakers SPL games. Those two rookies (Cook and Walton) looked pretty good. Pargo and Rush were tearing up the league. They even beat a tough Warriors team (Dunleavy, Pietrus, Jason Collier, Zimmerman, Jiri Welsch etc) the other night.

Man you can't believe how overrated Michael Pietrus is. That mofo has worse offensive game than Bruce Bowen. :vomit He shot like 1 for 8 during the game (the only one he made was a dunk). And none of the missing shots had a chance to go in. It was ugly. I think his defensive skill is a little overrated too, he was whistled for 3 fouls in the first 3 minuted he played.

Temple Of The Dog
Now the situation is completely different, GP doesn't have to worry about double-teaming Duncan or scoring 25 any more, he could just concentrate on denying Tony Parker.

tony parker can get by payton at will. (whenever he wants - all day and all night) payton can't guard anyone anymore... he's "the glove" in kickname only.

as far as funneling tony parker into shaq... i'd take tony parker's floater over shaq's fatass moving off of duncan for more than two seconds... cause the second he does... i'm sure malone "the greatest shotblocker of our era" will chime in, right? (get real)

now tell me shaq is in shape and can move like he did 3 years ago... and maybe i'll say you're right. then again, tell me how many fouls shaq can risk by going out and stopping the ball? (playing against duncan)

scott
07-11-2003, 06:44 PM
I'm impressed with the picks of Cook and Walton for the Lakers. LA actually has some youngsters with potential. Now- will Phil develop them or let them rot away at the end of the bench?

ImFromBeijing
07-11-2003, 06:50 PM
I'm impressed with the picks of Cook and Walton for the Lakers. LA actually has some youngsters with potential. Now- will Phil develop them or let them rot away at the end of the bench?

I like those two draft choices too. Some of the posters at LG.net were so upset because we didn't pick Barbosa/Lempe/Baby Shaq. I think Lakers made good decision to draft players who can contribute quickly instead of some super athletic international prospects who domniated division 3 ball in Peru..... Lakers can't afford to wait for those guys to mature at the expense of (possibly) losing Kobe.

After watching the play of "Euro Finley" I felt ever better. I believe at least half of the international players drafted in round 1 will be busts.

scott
07-11-2003, 06:57 PM
It definitely seems like none of the Euro "Locks" to be stars have really come through.

Since the major Euro invasion started (after Dirk and Peja)- it seems like the most successful Euros have been Gasol, (lotto pick), Parker (last pick in round 1) and Manu (2nd rounder - not really a Euro since he's from South America... but played in the Euro leagues).

Will Darko been the next Nikoloz Tskitishvili and put up a sweet 3.9 PPG?

Given the success of Manu and Nene Hilario, maybe we'll see a bigger South American invasion in the next few years (its obviously already started with guys like Barbarosa being first rounders).

fsp kris rivenburgh
07-11-2003, 06:58 PM
"Isn't he the one who wanted Jason Kidd all along despite the existence of Tony Parker? You could have got Michael Olowokandi and a swingman (Corey Maggette) for 6-7 million each. Instead you went for a bigger name player who plays the same position as your best young player. You think Tony Parker will forget this when he's read to negotiate for his next contract?"

good point beijing, i have been pondering some of the same things, well not maggette, but still.

Temple Of The Dog
07-11-2003, 07:17 PM
"Isn't he the one who wanted Jason Kidd all along despite the existence of Tony Parker? You could have got Michael Olowokandi and a swingman (Corey Maggette) for 6-7 million each. Instead you went for a bigger name player who plays the same position as your best young player. You think Tony Parker will forget this when he's read to negotiate for his next contract?"

good point beijing, i have been pondering some of the same things, well not maggette, but still.

oh man... tim duncan visited with kidd for a half day while he was here... he didn't exactly give him the grand tour himself. its not like tim came out with quotes, and on camera interviews that pissed tony off... most of parker's comments were aimed towards pop and management... most likely he was speaking through his agent at the time. (or his agents concerns)

do you think manu will be happy if the spurs go after maggette? do you think that david will wake up one morning and say... i can't believe they replaced me with kandi?

circumstance and bad timing left kidd the only viable 1st tier free agent out there this offseason... if the spurs were to have passed up even the chance at getting him... then they probably wouldn't have been smart enough to draft tony parker in the first place.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Laker fans feeling their oats.:blah

Have you guys had your paper parade yet?

Why don't we see who the Spurs actually sign before declating something a mess?

fsp kris rivenburgh
07-11-2003, 08:05 PM
it's no secret tim duncan has wanted his friend jason kidd to join the spurs.

your maggette-manu reference was noted but the david-kandi take was really weak.

parker's been told all along he's been doing great and apparently never been led to believe he would lose his job if they won the championship, and then they go after kidd hardcore...why is it so hard to see why tony is mad.

all the players and management say this is a business but the spurs go for kidd because he's duncan's friend?

maybe they really wanted him, but i know of another fa that they could be going after because he's "friends" with someone.

this friends thing isn't the best "basketball decision" and is getting really stupid to me.

Archie
07-11-2003, 08:14 PM
I blame Tim Duncan for making Kobe Bryant cry like Kobe's rape victim after the Spurs' dismissed the Lakers from championship competiton. Now the Lakers pray some sort of Arthritic Dream Team can help them. **** that. If there is any possibility of impartial justice in Colorado Kobe Bryant will be a prison bitch before the end of the year. Take your Chicom ass and GTFO of this forum before I really tell you how I feel.

GrandeDavid
07-11-2003, 08:17 PM
There is only one Archie Bunker and, ladies and gentlemen, he is undoubtedly with us this evening!

Archie
07-11-2003, 08:31 PM
Indeed.

Temple Of The Dog
07-12-2003, 12:01 AM
it's no secret tim duncan has wanted his friend jason kidd to join the spurs.

your maggette-manu reference was noted but the david-kandi take was really weak.

parker's been told all along he's been doing great and apparently never been led to believe he would lose his job if they won the championship, and then they go after kidd hardcore...why is it so hard to see why tony is mad.

all the players and management say this is a business but the spurs go for kidd because he's duncan's friend?

are you insane?
seriously... a medical condition?

the maggette / manu and david / kandi reference was made to elaborate on how truly stupid that question was... and "the spurs go after kidd" not because he's tim's friend... but because he was the best free agent available that they could get... or had a chance at getting. (thats all) and you do that no matter who your friends are... even tony parker.

re-read what i wrote dude... i think you misunderstood the rest and what the question was to begin with... besides it don't matter now. (even maggette is locked up)

Admiral
07-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Yeah, how dare ImFromBeijing have an opinion. :rolleyes

It's one thing to disagree, but another thing altogether to blast him because he didn't start a homer thread. I thought he raised a good issue, although I don't think Duncan is to blame. I'm not even convinced that he wanted Kidd as much as the media acted like he did.

It will all work out.

Temple Of The Dog
07-12-2003, 12:48 AM
yeah... that pj brown thing is working out real well.

gospurs21
07-12-2003, 05:24 AM
Actually, I wonder if we would have made J O'Neil our 1st option if things would have been different. I will convince myself by the end of the summer that it wouldn't have.

Go Spurs..

grjr
07-12-2003, 05:29 AM
Hard to make JO your first option when he won't return your calls. He was never gonna turn down that money-never. Plus, he's still THE MAN and that may be just as important. Championships don't mean as much to a 24 yo who thinks he has 10 or 15 years left to grab some of those. Afterall, it's not that hard to win one is it?

jr

gospurs21
07-12-2003, 05:39 AM
I agree grjr

I wonder if that was J O'Neil or his agent?

After all look what Tony's agent did for Tony in the local papers. Could have kept it in house, but Tony' agent pressed the youngster.

Go Spurs...