PDA

View Full Version : 2021: Max Extension for DeMar

Pages : [1] 2

phxspurfan
12-26-2020, 11:00 PM
do it PATFO :smokin I wanna see that jersey up in the rafters...

Averaging 28pts - 7rb - 9ast 75%3PT :clap

https://i.ibb.co/Lrhbdbd/DeMarIG.png

Dejounte
12-26-2020, 11:02 PM
Don't know about max, but he definitely fits this team.

Chinook
12-26-2020, 11:03 PM
I think you could see one if the sides agree on money. The Spurs look like a decent team, and DeRozan fits. MAYBE he doesn't re-up so he can take what's left after recruiting another player, but I think he'll ultimately want to stay on.

Uriel
12-26-2020, 11:06 PM
I think we’re overreacting to two games. Let’s see if he can keep this up throughout the season.

ducks
12-26-2020, 11:08 PM
Dude is worth 20 million
Cap is going down again no fans
Owners lossing money

spurs1990
12-26-2020, 11:13 PM
He had a great game tonight. Pretty much flawless.

I'd let it play out and sell very high around March 25 if the opportunity presents itself.

poopbox
12-26-2020, 11:18 PM
Derozan has been great but the problem is that if he stays here he is going to pretty much be playing the 3 or small ball 4... their will be other players available in free agency who are a more natural fit in that position

Dennis the Menace
12-26-2020, 11:20 PM
Derozan has been great but the problem is that if he stays here he is going to pretty much be playing the 3 or small ball 4... their will be other players available in free agency who are a more natural fit in that position

Oh yeah?? Like who? Name them lol

RC_Drunkford
12-26-2020, 11:25 PM
I'm not opposed to it. This team is perfectly built around him and if he keeps shooting the 3 like this...it makes sense to keep him around for another 2 years or so.

GAustex
12-26-2020, 11:26 PM
Wait til the pressure increases and if he folds or not

cd98
12-26-2020, 11:27 PM
Well not a bad performance for the 86 best player in the NBA.

John B
12-26-2020, 11:36 PM
I think Derozan bought in, and he is willing to let those 3’s fly. I don’t see why he can’t make those consistently. He would be very dangerous. He already has the eurostep, the foulbait layup. He could add the stepback 3. This could be fun to watch. As for Aldridge, he’s been getting outplayed by other big men, in this case Bane?? :bang:bang

tbdog
12-26-2020, 11:39 PM
I think we’re overreacting to two games. Let’s see if he can keep this up throughout the season.

He had an amazing season last year. We know what the problem was last season.

Dejounte
12-26-2020, 11:41 PM
All things considered...

Aren't we glad he doesn't have a diva personality like other big names?

I'm not sure DeMar has ever been called an asshole by other players or fans of other teams.

You have Durant with his burner accounts and sensitive personality.
You have LeBron with his narcissistic personality
You have Harden
Chris Paul who can be a dick
Pandemic P
Kawhi
the list goes on...

phxspurfan
12-26-2020, 11:42 PM

and if they exist we aren't getting them. No one wants to go to SA.

phxspurfan
12-26-2020, 11:44 PM
Wait til the pressure increases and if he folds or not

Thats some BS narrative. LeBron was a better player and shat on the Raptors. That's why they lost to them. DeMar is a good player. But he's not LeBron.

That would be like saying in 2004 "Tony Parker needed to be bailed out by Speedy Claxton, and got owned by Jason Kidd. So we should get rid of Tony Parker."

NASpurs
12-26-2020, 11:45 PM
Now's the time to sell high.

phxspurfan
12-26-2020, 11:47 PM
Now's the time to sell high.

And get what exactly? No one is going to trade shit for a 1/2 year rental.

couchman
12-26-2020, 11:50 PM
I like DDR at the 4 w these kids. He will decide how good this team is.

phxspurfan
12-26-2020, 11:52 PM
I like DDR at the 4 w these kids. He will decide how good this team is.

Yes. He has to distribute a lot bc White is out. But when White comes back he can go back to chucking like crazy and being Kobe Jr. in the closing minutes. Not sure how he will react to changing roles again though.

Blackjack
12-26-2020, 11:56 PM
Ain't my money, we're 2-0!

(reserving right to shat upon at later date.)

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 12:01 AM
(reserving right to shat upon at later date.)

that's what this thread is for :lol

Championship bitches!! :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt: :lobt2:

spurraider21
12-27-2020, 12:02 AM
if he can actually shoot the 3 like this, and pop is willing to play a smaller rotation, his long term value for the team skyrockets

Seventyniner
12-27-2020, 12:20 AM
Just imagine if he had let that 3/4 court heave go just a bit earlier at the end of the 3rd.

Max for him would be around $38M per year, right? That's pretty steep for a player who, while he has been playing well, doesn't seem to have what it takes to consistently put this iteration of the Spurs in the playoffs let alone in contention for a deep run.

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 12:27 AM
Just imagine if he had let that 3/4 court heave go just a bit earlier at the end of the 3rd.

Max for him would be around $38M per year, right? That's pretty steep for a player who, while he has been playing well, doesn't seem to have what it takes to consistently put this iteration of the Spurs in the playoffs let alone in contention for a deep run.

Sure, but if you're not a team based in NY/LA, you have to overpay to keep your stars. See Portland, Milwaukee, Salt Lake, Denver...

r0drig0lac
12-27-2020, 12:29 AM
90/3

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 12:36 AM
90/3

https://i.ibb.co/XLxKjrQ/demar-contract.png

The Truth #6
12-27-2020, 12:39 AM
Will be interesting to see how his season progresses. Spurs value consistency so it makes sense they will consider it.

With Keldon out there, everything runs smoother and DD plays his best ball. And on a further tangent, I see people say DD is playing the 4, but isn’t it really Keldon doing that?

Emperor
12-27-2020, 12:41 AM
I'm on board with keeping DeRozan if he's able to keep this up throughout the rest of the season.

Seventyniner
12-27-2020, 12:49 AM
Sure, but if you're not a team based in NY/LA, you have to overpay to keep your stars. See Portland, Milwaukee, Salt Lake, Denver...

Good point. I would just be afraid of a huge DDR deal preventing the Spurs from retaining one or more of the young guys, let alone closing off the possibility of adding a high-impact free agent next summer.

If Keldon can be a viable starting 4 (grow another inch? I'm reaching here), there should be enough minutes for DDR and all the young guns going forward.

Degoat
12-27-2020, 01:31 AM
I’ve been pretty supportive of Demar since we traded for him but if he continues playing like this we have to sell high lol

daslicer
12-27-2020, 01:31 AM
Demar has had stretches in the past where he's started the season strong but then tends to fizzle out during the midway point of the season. Lets see if he can keep his level of play up in March.

EricB
12-27-2020, 02:10 AM

Overreacting to play that he’s shown year after year? Only thing he’s done different is shoot the three.

PICK-N-ROLL
12-27-2020, 10:39 AM
I’ve been pretty supportive of Demar since we traded for him but if he continues playing like this we have to sell high lol

Unfortunately, if he continues playing at this level, we won’t sell high. PATFO will reward him with an extension. It probably won’t be max but it will be significantly high. Over the years we have seen how they reward loyal players. DDR will be one of them.

Dex
12-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Unfortunately, if he continues playing at this level, we won’t sell high. PATFO will reward him with an extension. It probably won’t be max but it will be significantly high. Over the years we have seen how they reward loyal players. DDR will be one of them.

Hard to trade a guy with less than a year on his contract unless the team who receives him is confident he will stay. Teams aren't going to give up much for one playoff push with DDR.

If he keeps this up, it makes more sense to extend him and build around him, or at least have a long-term contract which is a better trading chip (especially if it's a reasonable price).

cjw
12-27-2020, 10:48 AM

This ^^^

Max for a player with 10+ years of service is $38 million. That’s a lot less than 6 and less years, and 7-9 years.

He’s worth something in the $20s and maybe low $30s on a long deal, but too much risk to go into high $30s. On a shorter deal, then it’s a different discussion ... annual money less important then

John B
12-27-2020, 10:52 AM
At 31 t could be his last big paycheck. If he balls like the last 2 games with 28 points and nearly triple double, shooting 3’s, and our young team continually improving, Spurs will be deep in the playoffs. If if did, it’s Demar feeding and taking over when needed resulting to W. That deserves the max in my opinion. Demar played great last year, he’s always embraced his changing role as a facilitator with our lack of true PG. He’s never been a diva, complaining to the press or in locker room. And we all know the problem last year. Yeah, I’d reward him the max.

Dejounte
12-27-2020, 11:13 AM
This ^^^

Max for a player with 10+ years of service is $38 million. That’s a lot less than 6 and less years, and 7-9 years.

He’s worth something in the $20s and maybe low $30s on a long deal, but too much risk to go into high $30s. On a shorter deal, then it’s a different discussion ... annual money less important then

The teams with $38 million have to make sacrifices to make that much space. I dont think any team will have that much to offer him. $30 mil is my guess what DeMar gets.

GAustex
12-27-2020, 11:16 AM
Premature ejaculation thread

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 11:38 AM
Good point. I would just be afraid of a huge DDR deal preventing the Spurs from retaining one or more of the young guys, let alone closing off the possibility of adding a high-impact free agent next summer.

If Keldon can be a viable starting 4 (grow another inch? I'm reaching here), there should be enough minutes for DDR and all the young guns going forward.

We're not going to be able to keep all the young guys. That's just how it goes. Keep drafting and hope one or two become real stars. Keep a big 3 of sorts and try to contend with that.

In 04, we let Stephen Jackson walk. 05 we let Hedo walk. In 06 (IIRC) we let Beno walk. We traded away GH3 before he got his first big deal also didnt we. I dont see how we keep Lonnie and Keldon if we keep Murray, White, and now sadly Purrtl, and if we offer DeMar 25-30. Half these young guys will get lured away by a nice payday and we will be hard pressed to counter.

Prime BEEF
12-27-2020, 01:08 PM
Yup. He’s trying real hard though since it’s a contract year. As soon as FO signs him to a long term deal he’ll go back to doing what he wants to do. Use his contract year extra effort to trade him. Package him with Murray and you can get good value.

BacktoBasics
12-27-2020, 01:30 PM
Dude is worth 20 million
Cap is going down again no fans
Owners lossing money

You spew more bullshit than anyone here. Honestly you must be a seriously sad and pathetic individual off this forum. Worst poster here behind Drew.

SpursDynasty85
12-27-2020, 01:49 PM

yep if only he was 2 inches taller and 4 inches in wingspan longer.

Dejounte
12-27-2020, 01:56 PM
yep if only he was 2 inches taller and 4 inches in wingspan longer.

Why is this a thing? Keldon did just fine guarding Siakam last night and DeMar being taller will have nothing to do with that. Our holes are poor transition D and slow switches from Aldridge, Gay, and Poetl.

justinandimcool
12-27-2020, 01:56 PM
fuck it. do it. he’s a star we can be proud of. the cap sheet is clean. he has great chemistry with the young dudes. never complained even though he had no help. 3/90 is fair, if he can give us a discount at 3/85 or 3+1/110 i’d be happy camper tbh

SpursDynasty85
12-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Why is this a thing? Keldon did just fine guarding Siakam last night and DeMar being taller will have nothing to do with that. Our holes are poor transition D and slow switches from Aldridge, Gay, and Poetl.

just because Siakam ended up shooting bad doesn't mean its ideal to continue to put Keldon as PF and similarly Demar at SF. Keldon and everyone else was bouncing of Siakam a lot of help D was needed on those drives to the basket. Eventually and especially in a playoff series either the shots will go down or they will punish the help side needing to crash so much. Demar defensively is only useful at PF because his feet are so slow hence he would be a better fit if he was Siakam's size.

Dejounte
12-27-2020, 02:21 PM
just because Siakam ended up shooting bad doesn't mean its ideal to continue to put Keldon as PF and similarly Demar at SF. Keldon and everyone else was bouncing of Siakam a lot of help D was needed on those drives to the basket. Eventually and especially in a playoff series either the shots will go down or they will punish the help side needing to crash so much. Demar defensively is only useful at PF because his feet are so slow hence he would be a better fit if he was Siakam's size.

Fair points except I don't think it was a case of Siakam just shooting poorly. Almost every possession he was bodied up, with a hand in face indicating good defense was played, whether by help or by defensive assignment by Keldon. As far as what's sustainable, I guess time will tell...

talkspurs
12-27-2020, 02:35 PM
how far the spurs have fallen when people thing giving this guy even 20 a year would be a good deal. We would be in Gambit cap purgatory if we offered this guy multi years at a high price point. we need a solid big not another wing. Potel is not the answer.

Dejounte
12-27-2020, 02:39 PM
how far the spurs have fallen when people thing giving this guy even 20 a year would be a good deal. We would be in Gambit cap purgatory if we offered this guy multi years at a high price point. we need a solid big not another wing. Potel is not the answer.

Wrong. 20 mil is a steal for DeMar. This isn't five years ago. Check my thread about cap space. Players earning 20 mil these days are scrubs compared to DeMar.

https://i.ibb.co/0cPTwm8/wow.png

Under columns "key starter" and "borderline all star"

30 mil is a different story. But if it's a short term deal, then it would be okay.

Atl Spur
12-27-2020, 02:45 PM

Last years #’s were great........

Atl Spur
12-27-2020, 02:50 PM

This must be along nut being last years#’s were great! Hate the dude if you must but he is really good at basketball:)

cjw
12-27-2020, 02:55 PM
The teams with $38 million have to make sacrifices to make that much space. I dont think any team will have that much to offer him. $30 mil is my guess what DeMar gets.

Yeah, I think it ends up at 3/$90. Not sure if they give him a player option in year three.

The Truth #6
12-27-2020, 02:59 PM
I would imagine he has to love playing with these young players because it makes him look better as well. Let’s wait until we lose a few games and let the ST bipolar mood swings go back the other direction and we’ll see how everyone feels.

talkspurs
12-27-2020, 03:20 PM
I would imagine he has to love playing with these young players because it makes him look better as well. Let’s wait until we lose a few games and let the ST bipolar mood swings go back the other direction and we’ll see how everyone feels.

This is what I expect as well.

talkspurs
12-27-2020, 03:21 PM
This must be along nut being last years#’s were great! Hate the dude if you must but he is really good at basketball:)

Its not all about the number it is does he help the team win. he does not help the team win. He shrinks the floor (dont use 1 game of shooting 3s to fool you). He is playing better but does not fit with the time frame.

talkspurs
12-27-2020, 03:22 PM
Wrong. 20 mil is a steal for DeMar. This isn't five years ago. Check my thread about cap space. Players earning 20 mil these days are scrubs compared to DeMar.

https://i.ibb.co/0cPTwm8/wow.png

Under columns "key starter" and "borderline all star"

30 mil is a different story. But if it's a short term deal, then it would be okay.

I have also told you in your post that the numbers do not work like that. He also does not fit the timeline of the Spurs and plays at a crowded position. If we got him for 20 mil it would be bad but at least at that price we can try and trade him.

jbspurs
12-27-2020, 03:23 PM
He had an amazing season last year. We know what the problem was last season.

Bryn Forbes playing way too many minutes?

r0drig0lac
12-27-2020, 03:29 PM
Its not all about the number it is does he help the team win. he does not help the team win. He shrinks the floor (dont use 1 game of shooting 3s to fool you). He is playing better but does not fit with the time frame.
what time frame? the future (talking about nba) is relative, no team wins with 10 youngsters or 10 players of the same age group.

talkspurs
12-27-2020, 03:39 PM
what time frame? the future (talking about nba) is relative, no team wins with 10 youngsters or 10 players of the same age group.

Well the younger players are just starting to come up this year so your are probably looking about a year or 2 he would be looking at his decline then. Actually most teams do have their bigger players within about a 5 year gap. That is why winning is so difficult and getting a dynasty is even harder because if you dont do it right then the older players will get to old before the young players can really help.

spurs1990
12-27-2020, 04:00 PM
Two games in in what will be a shortened asterisk filled season and you're ready to commit a max extension to him?

No harm in riding it out to two dates:
Trade Deadline:
If the Spurs are treading water (9th seed or below) but Derozan is playing really well, maximize on his value with young talent and high draft picks.

Summer:
If the Spurs make the playoffs and make at least some noise in the first round, and certainly advance to second round, offer Derozan a 2/3 year extension to keep the ball rolling.

I don't see any reason to offer an extension before March unless he's playing exceptionally well and the Spurs are playing .600 or higher ball.

And I hope that last scenario happens... wins are the only thing that matters for this franchise, and if he's the reason for it, an extension is an easy choice.

GAustex
12-27-2020, 04:22 PM
DDR is the worst good player in the league.
He looks great and then when it matters he breaks your heart.
I hope he turns it around/keeps it going.

I think he is not the answer long term as your highest paid player.

I do admit getting the two defensive sieves off the team make DDR seem better.

Trade him if you can get a good deal. Let him walk if you can’t.

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 04:43 PM
DDR is the worst good player in the league.
He looks great and then when it matters he breaks your heart.

He "breaks your heart?" This is some bullshit that I've been reading too much on this forum about DeMar since he's been here.

A good player is a player who has the skills to put the ball in his hands in crunch time who can handle taking the last shot, or dishing to an open teammate. DeMar has those skills. No other player on the team can sniff this role (except for maybe White when he gets some offense, or Walker if he develops consistency).

Your best player either makes or misses the shot and you live with it.

For a forum where everyone who knows how many shots Kobe missed in crunch time, and how much we know he was a volume chucker, yall should be smarter than to attach unnecessary emotion to your opinions of DeMar. He is who he is. A great offensive talent who is now flourishing in an open style of ball. A lot like when he was an MVP candidate in Toronto, he did the same when they opened up their offense there.

As for "worst good player in the league" I'd rather have this DeMar than any of these stars below.

Siakam
Conley
McCollum
Simmons
Embiid
Wiggins
Towns
Tatum
Tobias Harris
DeAaron Fox
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin

--many more.

Fuck, the way Curry is playing without his buddy KD, I'd rather have what we have been seeing in DeMar this season and in the bubble than Curry. He hasn't been a good player since 2018.

There's of course a shit ton of stars (besides the obvious list of the top 5-10 NBA players) who are better than him, to name a few:

Ja Morant
Booker
Jaylen Brown
Wall
Butler
Klay Thompson (when healthy)
CP3
Donovan Mitchell
Oladipo
Murray (Denver)

But we don't have to have the best player in the league to be a good team or make runs in the playoffs again. Just a guy or two to rely on in crunch time the same way we used to have Parker/Manu, and a bunch of good role players, as well as a rock solid guy in the middle probably (late career TD).

But if you trade away DeMar, you all of a sudden have a surefire lottery team, as you have no one to give the ball to in crunch time who has the skills and mentality to get you a bucket. He "breaks your heart" has nothing to do with strategy at the end of the game.

Chomag
12-27-2020, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't put to much stock in a player that has all of a sudden played like this on a contract year.

TD 21
12-27-2020, 04:47 PM
Under no circumstances would I extend him. He'll be a 32-35 or 36 year old during the life of the contract and is a slasher. I realize he's relatively big/strong and not reliant on blinding speed/quickness, but they generally don't age well.

They might not have a genuine star in the bunch, but they've already committed to Murray and White and Walker, Johnson, Vassell all range from 50/50 to likely to join them, so chances are they at least believe someone(s) will emerge as featured types. The lack of a starting four will need to be addressed sooner than later.

Probably can't even move him for Gordon now though. Without Isaac, they probably prefer to retain him until the off season and DeRozan, if his representation gets the right signals through the back channels, probably won't extend when the Raptors have both the cap space and need to sign him outright.

GAustex
12-27-2020, 04:52 PM
Remember that time he fell down at half court and let Kahaii steal his lunch money-at the crucial moment.
Good times

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 04:53 PM
Under no circumstances would I extend him. He'll be a 32-35 or 36 year old during the life of the contract

This is a solid point. He is not getting any younger and father time is undefeated, so he will definitely be showing signs of regression as he gets into his mid 30s. This means less lift on his jumpers, less breakaway speed (not that he has been fast for some time), and likely some injuries and minutes restrictions). I think 2-3 years is a good contract for him, at 20-30 mill per, considering his age going into next season. But if he keeps this performance up and the Spurs make the playoffs, front offices around the league will be taking long looks at the dude to try and lure him away. And we might get nothing in return since he might walk after the season is over.

Probably can't even move him for Gordon now though.

That I don't agree with. We can easily get a guy like Gordon for him. But thankfully, PATFO is not that stupid to trade DeMar for a role player, despite how much people on this site hate the dude for not shooting 3s or playing defense like Kawhi/Bowen.

GAustex
12-27-2020, 04:53 PM
He wears the uni
I root for his success
If you ask me to give him a big assed contract.
Nah

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 04:55 PM
Remember that time he fell down at half court and let Kahaii steal his lunch money-at the crucial moment

I don't expect him to best Kawhi 1 on 1. Basketball is a team game and when guys make mistakes, they need teammates to help them up and get their back/pick up the slack. As great as they are at getting coffee and shit, Forbes and Mills are not championship level role players who can help DeMar.

Even the self proclaimed GOAT LeBroom didn't even make the playoffs on the Lakers before he got AD.

In all honesty, this DeMar is a solid #2 player for a championship caliber team.

GAustex
12-27-2020, 04:57 PM
About half of what he is getting paid seems reasonable

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 04:58 PM
About half of what he is getting paid seems reasonable

so he's averaging damn near a triple double with 30 points, and you want to cut his pay in half.

God damn I hope this franchise moves to Seattle if the fan base is majority like you. Other cities deserve the team more and would have better fans.

GAustex
12-27-2020, 05:00 PM
If he’s the highest paid on ur team
Ur team ain’t winning jack

TD 21
12-27-2020, 05:01 PM
That I don't agree with. We can easily get a guy like Gordon for him. But thankfully, PATFO is not that stupid to trade DeMar for a role player, despite how much people on this site hate the dude for not shooting 3s or playing defense like Kawhi/Bowen.

As I said, I doubt the Magic would do it in season (they'd need to add another player to match salaries and balance out the value), but I doubt the Spurs would either.

It could make sense in the off season, but then they'll probably lose him for nothing to the Raptors.

This could pave the way for a max offer sheet for Collins.

GAustex
12-27-2020, 09:26 PM

itzsoweezee
12-27-2020, 09:32 PM
LoL

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 09:32 PM
yes, loss is solely derozans fault lol /spurfan

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 09:33 PM

Spur fan wants spurs to lose

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 09:34 PM
we should let derozan go so we lose by 50 like the clippers

TimDunkem
12-27-2020, 09:35 PM
He's a De Star :cry

GAustex
12-27-2020, 09:35 PM
Spur fan wants spurs to lose
You lie
DDR wears the uni and I root for him

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 09:36 PM
he had 10 assists. His shot wasnt falling. You masochists are fucking insufferable lol go cheer for a cellar dweller like you want. Get lottery picks all you want. Draft 10 dudes named Precious Mcree

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 09:38 PM
You lie
DDR wears the uni and I root for him

and when we lost you literally opened the thread first thing and gloated like it was the best thing to happen to you today, instead of being sad we lost or hopeful since it was only by a few points and some questionable play calling / refs. Instead you scape goat the teams best player and want him gone so we lose by much more.

Were you born and raised in New York? Youre acting like a spoiled bitch made Yankees fan.

tbdog
12-27-2020, 09:38 PM
Bryn Forbes playing way too many minutes?

That's a bingo.

GAustex
12-27-2020, 09:39 PM
and when we lost you literally opened the thread first thing and gloated like it was the best thing to happen to you today, instead of being sad we lost or hopeful since it was only by a few points and some questionable play calling / refs. Instead you scape goat the teams beat player and want him gone so we lose by much more.
You busted my chops all over the place
And then what I said was proven right and I made you eat shit.

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 09:42 PM
You busted my chops all over the place
And then what I said was proven right and I made you eat shit.

Youre bitch made fair weather fan. Tou dont deserve this team. I bet you either started watching the Spurs when Pop became a national meme (2016) or have been in SA the whole time but stopped watching after 0.4, manu foul on Dirk, Dick Jefferson years, and 2013. Youre soft like Purrtl and melt / give up on the roster after one loss.

I suppose we should win every game because thats the only way youd be wrong.

mystargtr34
12-27-2020, 09:46 PM
he had 10 assists. His shot wasnt falling. You masochists are fucking insufferable lol go cheer for a cellar dweller like you want. Get lottery picks all you want. Draft 10 dudes named Precious Mcree

Precious Mcrew :lol

siraulo23
12-27-2020, 09:48 PM
Derozan is trash, every season spurs fans hope and get hyped after one or two good outings but he just trash

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 09:48 PM

:lol Sure, whatever. Im sure all those dudes are better than DeRozan and will have 10 assists on their off night. On a back to back, while being shadowed by the other teams best defender. Precious af Im sure

Mugen
12-27-2020, 09:49 PM
:lol Nah, I'm good.

They have enough playmaking/scoring with Derrick/Lonnie/DJ especially next season after another year of development. They'll also likely be adding another lottery pick or a max-ish type player (or both) in the offseason tbh. I'm perfectly fine with letting Demar walk.

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 09:52 PM
:lol Nah, I'm good.

They have enough playmaking/scoring with Derrick/Lonnie/DJ especially next season after another year of development. They'll also likely be adding another lottery pick or a max-ish type player (or both) in the offseason tbh. I'm perfectly fine with letting Demar walk.

who's the better max but not absolute max free agent whos going to choose to sign here? We have no good strip clubs

Ice009
12-27-2020, 11:27 PM

Look, no offense, your posts are good, but thing with Derozen IMO is, when the chips are down in the biggest games, or just in crunch time in big regular season games, he has a loser mentality on the court and let's things get to him. If you've watched TD, Manu and those guys play for years like I have, how can people not see this? It's really tough for me to truly like this guy. I want to like him and fully get behind him, but I grew up watching different players handle situations that Derozen normally crumbles in much, much differently to how he does. He's a fine player, but just doesn't have "it".

Dejounte
12-27-2020, 11:32 PM
Look, no offense, your posts are good, but thing with Derozen IMO is, when the chips are down in the biggest games, or just in crunch time in big regular season games, he has a loser mentality on the court and let's things get to him. If you've watched TD, Manu and those guys play for years like I have, how can people not see this? It's really tough for me to truly like this guy. I want to like him and fully get behind him, but I grew up watching different players handle situations that Derozen normally crumbles in much, much differently to how he does. He's a fine player, but just doesn't have "it".

I'm not sure anyone is here expecting DeRozan to become a TD or a Manu. He can be a 3rd option guy on a championship team and that can be done here if two of our young players rise up while he's aging IF we do end up extending him (at hopefully a 3rd option type contract ~20 mil OR short 2 year deal).

Ice009
12-27-2020, 11:47 PM
I'm not sure anyone is here expecting DeRozan to become a TD or a Manu. He can be a 3rd option guy on a championship team and that can be done here if two of our young players rise up while he's aging IF we do end up extending him (at hopefully a 3rd option type contract ~20 mil OR short 2 year deal).

I don't have a problem with that if he's paid less, but if he's the first option and getting paid max money, then I do have a massive problem with that. If he's getting paid max money, I will definitely be comparing him to those guys (especially Manu, as Manu was underpaid for years) as he's getting paid to play up to a certain level. He is simply not worth that amount of money IMO to be a first option.

Dejounte
12-27-2020, 11:58 PM
I don't have a problem with that if he's paid less, but if he's the first option and getting paid max money, then I do have a massive problem with that. If he's getting paid max money, I will definitely be comparing him to those guys (especially Manu, as Manu was underpaid for years) as he's getting paid to play up to a certain level. He is simply not worth that amount of money IMO to be a first option.

The only reason DeMar is playing like a first option right NOW is because it's hard to trust any of the other guys with the ball. Murray makes me nervous. Lonnie makes me nervous. Hell, even Keldon makes me nervous. The ball is in a secure spot when it's in DeMar's hands. It's not even just about the playmaking. DeMar's ball security is on another level compared to the other guys. It's like a yoyo for him.

Different story though when White comes back...

This is not even me trashing Murray. Murray can be extremely effective in his own way. Murray is Naruto and White is Sasuke. They each bring something different to the table as point guards.

talkspurs
12-28-2020, 01:29 AM

We would not have the room to sign a first much less a 2nd player if we payed him 20 mil a year. We would be over 50% of the cap with only 3 people this is not counting Potel or the upcoming contracts of Lonnie (who I thought should be traded but is playing better so far) and KJ.

John B
12-28-2020, 01:58 AM
Demar has been good with the young guys and have embraced the role of facilitator. He’s not a diva like other Harden’s and Westbrook’s in the league. He just need to be cool ALL THE TIME. I didn’t see the big 3 make mental errors like what Demar did, resulting to 5 points turnaround, from a 1 point lead. He’s played great, and I cannot blame his game on a b2b. I was surprised Pop didn’t play him limited minutes and played Vassell more. Maybe he should have.

Thomas82
12-28-2020, 10:39 AM
No, thank you!!

The Truth #6
12-28-2020, 11:34 AM
2 years, in the low $20s is reasonable but I don’t see him wanting that. He is a mercurial player. I’ve grown to like him more than at first. He’s a cool dude. But his energy can be difficult when he melts down. For a team not going anywhere right now it’s ok unless his contract would complicate us keeping part of the young core.

Dingle Barry
12-28-2020, 12:35 PM
Under no circumstances would I extend him. He'll be a 32-35 or 36 year old during the life of the contract and is a slasher. I realize he's relatively big/strong and not reliant on blinding speed/quickness, but they generally don't age well.

They might not have a genuine star in the bunch, but they've already committed to Murray and White and Walker, Johnson, Vassell all range from 50/50 to likely to join them, so chances are they at least believe someone(s) will emerge as featured types. The lack of a starting four will need to be addressed sooner than later.

Exactly my thoughts.

SpursforSix
12-28-2020, 12:46 PM

based on the novel, Push by Sapphire

Texas_Ranger
12-28-2020, 01:51 PM
he had a great start last year as well and then it just went downhill... No way I'd keep him. I'd rather develop young guys without paying old and useless guys like Defrozen and Aldridge. Keep the money, sign some more young guys and try to build a team. Playoffs are not needed right now tbh... and even with this 2 ''stars'' we are probably not making them so who cares.

itzsoweezee
12-28-2020, 01:59 PM
Just like last season, and nearly every year in his career, the team he plays on is a net negative when he's on the court.

Just like last season, the starters suck and the bench has to make up for it for this team to have any chance of winning because demar is a flawed player.

He's not an impactful player. The team would be better off without him. The "young" guys would be better off without him talking their minutes. Why the fuck would the spurs extend this dude? He wants to play for the Lakers. Let him

Ice009
12-28-2020, 08:18 PM
2 years, in the low $20s is reasonable but I don’t see him wanting that. He is a mercurial player. I’ve grown to like him more than at first. He’s a cool dude. But his energy can be difficult when he melts down. For a team not going anywhere right now it’s ok unless his contract would complicate us keeping part of the young core.

This is pretty much my take on him. I like him. He's a cool guy, but yeah, he let's it get into his head way too often when he's frustrated and that affects his game (guys like Jordan and Manu, they get angry and are able to channel it and it seems to improve their focus better). That isn't that big of a problem for a team not going anywhere, but if the Spurs want to make the playoffs and do well there, Demar's habit of getting off track when getting frustrated is only going to be a detriment. I thought he was great in 2019, but I still have flashbacks to the second half of game 7. He didn't show up, and that seems to be his MO in big games, especially big playoff games. I wish it were different, because as you mentioned, he's a very likeable person. I just couldn't pay him what he's getting now or even max money to stay. I am pretty sure he won't take 20M to stay, so if that is the case, the answer is a pretty strong "no" from me. I'd rather let him walk.

tonight...you
12-28-2020, 08:27 PM
and when we lost you literally opened the thread first thing and gloated like it was the best thing to happen to you today, instead of being sad we lost or hopeful since it was only by a few points and some questionable play calling / refs. Instead you scape goat the teams best player and want him gone so we lose by much more.

Were you born and raised in New York? Youre acting like a spoiled bitch made Yankees fan.
https://media1.tenor.com/images/a71c6f4735f2d642015a3d8c162b6da1/tenor.gif?itemid=14845861

Ocotillo
12-29-2020, 04:45 PM
I was walking through the living room and Mrs. O said, "so the Spurs are looking at trading Demar to Denver?" I was like WTF?

Turns out it was one of those articles about of some guy suggesting trades. https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2020/12/28/nba-rumors-denver-nuggets-san-antonio-spurs-trade-features-demar-derozan/2/

His suggestion: Gary Harris, Will Barton and Denver 2021 1st round pick. Did not bother to look up the salaries to see if it was even close to being a match.

Ocotillo
12-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Got off my rear and looked up the salaries and it would put the Spurs into the lux tax.

SPURSCHAMP
12-30-2020, 01:50 AM
He "breaks your heart?" This is some bullshit that I've been reading too much on this forum about DeMar since he's been here.

A good player is a player who has the skills to put the ball in his hands in crunch time who can handle taking the last shot, or dishing to an open teammate. DeMar has those skills. No other player on the team can sniff this role (except for maybe White when he gets some offense, or Walker if he develops consistency).

For a forum where everyone who knows how many shots Kobe missed in crunch time, and how much we know he was a volume chucker, yall should be smarter than to attach unnecessary emotion to your opinions of DeMar. He is who he is. A great offensive talent who is now flourishing in an open style of ball. A lot like when he was an MVP candidate in Toronto, he did the same when they opened up their offense there.

As for "worst good player in the league" I'd rather have this DeMar than any of these stars below.

Siakam
Conley
McCollum
Simmons
Embiid
Wiggins
Towns
Tatum
Tobias Harris
DeAaron Fox
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin

--many more.

Fuck, the way Curry is playing without his buddy KD, I'd rather have what we have been seeing in DeMar this season and in the bubble than Curry. He hasn't been a good player since 2018.

There's of course a shit ton of stars (besides the obvious list of the top 5-10 NBA players) who are better than him, to name a few:

Ja Morant
Booker
Jaylen Brown
Wall
Butler
CP3
Donovan Mitchell
Oladipo
Murray (Denver)

But we don't have to have the best player in the league to be a good team or make runs in the playoffs again. Just a guy or two to rely on in crunch time the same way we used to have Parker/Manu, and a bunch of good role players, as well as a rock solid guy in the middle probably (late career TD).

But if you trade away DeMar, you all of a sudden have a surefire lottery team, as you have no one to give the ball to in crunch time who has the skills and mentality to get you a bucket. He "breaks your heart" has nothing to do with strategy at the end of the game.

I really like Demar, but come on, over Tatum, Embiid, Simmons, Towns? Even Fox and Siakam could be a case for given age.

Really weird that you would rather have Wall, Oladipo, Brown (but not Tatum), over Demar but not those other guys. Would also prefer DMDR>CP3 but thats probably more 50/50.

phxspurfan
12-30-2020, 03:26 AM
I really like Demar, but come on, over Tatum, Embiid, Simmons, Towns? Even Fox and Siakam could be a case for given age.

Really weird that you would rather have Wall, Oladipo, Brown (but not Tatum), over Demar but not those other guys. Would also prefer DMDR>CP3 but thats probably more 50/50.

- Wall still has MVP level talent that DeMar doesn't have. He can be your full time PG (DeMar only for stretches), and is faster and currently, more athletic, has more range, etc.
- VO single handedly took the Pacers to the playoffs IIRC a year or two ago, and is a very good player on a team that gets no publicity.
- Brown is a little worse on offense (but has a better 3pt shot) and on defense it's not even a comparison. Brown can guard 1-4 in today's NBA. He also has the toughness that everyone besides Keldon on this team lacks. He also has that "it" factor, the competitiveness.

- Simmons is trash until or unless he develops a 3pt shot. We have all seen him falter when the games really get competitive.
- Embiid is even more unreliable than DeMar. He's dominant when he wants to be (a la LMA) but frustrating af to watch because his effort isn't there 50% of the time (like LMA). Also in today's NBA you'd pick the wing every time.
- Towns sucks ass. I'd fucking take Brook Lopez over him. Brook Lopez is Towns without the Ego and with an even better 3pt shot. And he's like 60 years old, so that's saying something to Towns' effort.
- Tatum is arguable, but it's an opinion thing here. I think he's not as good of a 2 way player as Brown, and so far in the playoffs, doesn't have the competitiveness / "it" factor that Brown has shown. Sure, he can wow you with moves he studied from Kobe. But he's not Kobe.

duncan2k5
12-30-2020, 08:21 AM
I'm not opposed to it. This team is perfectly built around him and if he keeps shooting the 3 like this...it makes sense to keep him around for another 2 years or so.
A team built perfectly around him only ensures the lottery or a playoff flameout...y'all seriously wanna build around DeRozan? LMFAO

duncan2k5
12-30-2020, 08:22 AM
A team built perfectly around him only ensures the lottery or a playoff flameout...y'all seriously wanna build around DeRozan? LMFAO
U clearly didn't watch those games... LMFAO

duncan2k5
12-30-2020, 08:23 AM
Demar has had stretches in the past where he's started the season strong but then tends to fizzle out during the midway point of the season. Lets see if he can keep his level of play up in March.

He can't...he is who he is

duncan2k5
12-30-2020, 08:24 AM
At 31 t could be his last big paycheck. If he balls like the last 2 games with 28 points and nearly triple double, shooting 3’s, and our young team continually improving, Spurs will be deep in the playoffs. If if did, it’s Demar feeding and taking over when needed resulting to W. That deserves the max in my opinion. Demar played great last year, he’s always embraced his changing role as a facilitator with our lack of true PG. He’s never been a diva, complaining to the press or in locker room. And we all know the problem last year. Yeah, I’d reward him the max.

You don't reward mediocrity...you don't reward a star player taking you to the lottery

duncan2k5
12-30-2020, 08:26 AM

This guy gets it

duncan2k5
12-30-2020, 08:28 AM

Siakam
Conley
McCollum
Simmons
Embiid
Wiggins
Towns
Tatum
Tobias Harris
DeAaron Fox
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin

--many more.

Ja Morant
Booker
Jaylen Brown
Wall
Butler
CP3
Donovan Mitchell
Oladipo
Murray (Denver)

We are a lottery team WITH him! Why am I arguing with a guy that prefers DeMar over steph curry? LMFAO

duncan2k5
12-30-2020, 08:31 AM
I don't expect him to best Kawhi 1 on 1. Basketball is a team game and when guys make mistakes, they need teammates to help them up and get their back/pick up the slack. As great as they are at getting coffee and shit, Forbes and Mills are not championship level role players who can help DeMar.

Even the self proclaimed GOAT LeBroom didn't even make the playoffs on the Lakers before he got AD.

In all honesty, this DeMar is a solid #2 player for a championship caliber team.

DeMar as a #2 winning a ring?? FUCK no! He is the definition of a low Impact, choke artist

duncan2k5
12-30-2020, 08:37 AM
- Wall still has MVP level talent that DeMar doesn't have. He can be your full time PG (DeMar only for stretches), and is faster and currently, more athletic, has more range, etc.
- VO single handedly took the Pacers to the playoffs IIRC a year or two ago, and is a very good player on a team that gets no publicity.
- Brown is a little worse on offense (but has a better 3pt shot) and on defense it's not even a comparison. Brown can guard 1-4 in today's NBA. He also has the toughness that everyone besides Keldon on this team lacks. He also has that "it" factor, the competitiveness.

- Simmons is trash until or unless he develops a 3pt shot. We have all seen him falter when the games really get competitive.
- Embiid is even more unreliable than DeMar. He's dominant when he wants to be (a la LMA) but frustrating af to watch because his effort isn't there 50% of the time (like LMA). Also in today's NBA you'd pick the wing every time.
- Towns sucks ass. I'd fucking take Brook Lopez over him. Brook Lopez is Towns without the Ego and with an even better 3pt shot. And he's like 60 years old, so that's saying something to Towns' effort.
- Tatum is arguable, but it's an opinion thing here. I think he's not as good of a 2 way player as Brown, and so far in the playoffs, doesn't have the competitiveness / "it" factor that Brown has shown. Sure, he can wow you with moves he studied from Kobe. But he's not Kobe.

Wow...ur basketball takes are ass... everyone else in the league would trade DeMar for those players in a heartbeat

Dejounte
12-30-2020, 08:48 AM
DeMar as a #2 winning a ring?? FUCK no! He is the definition of a low Impact, choke artist

Get the fuck off DeMar's balls

https://64.media.tumblr.com/0230fb863d2e045f7fe6bda53f1ad844/tumblr_nn4zd4OUf01tfbtrwo1_400.gif

Find a new schtick. You're a fucking idiot

itzsoweezee
12-30-2020, 03:37 PM

Siakam
Conley
McCollum
Simmons
Embiid
Wiggins
Towns
Tatum
Tobias Harris
DeAaron Fox
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin

--many more.

Ja Morant
Booker
Jaylen Brown
Wall
Butler
CP3
Donovan Mitchell
Oladipo
Murray (Denver)

Lol, this is some real psycho shit. I really hope you're related to demar, otherwise, you're delusional as shit

r0drig0lac
12-30-2020, 03:42 PM
Siakam
Conley
McCollum
Simmons
Embiid
Wiggins
Towns
Tatum
Tobias Harris
DeAaron Fox
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin
savage

Sugus
12-30-2020, 09:44 PM
savage

More like delusional, tbh... :wakeup

R. DeMurre
12-31-2020, 03:19 AM

Uh, I don't know if you've noticed but DeMar doesn't shoot the three either, and has far worse advanced stats in the playoffs than Simmons, Harden, or Paul George, or any other player that supposedly doesn't show up come playoff time.

spurraider21
12-31-2020, 01:28 PM
which version of Derrick White shows up will go a long way in figuring out if DDR should be extended or not. if white is going to go back to being a passive 11 ppg scorer, then yeah, we need demar to be the alpha. if bubble/playoff White shows up, then we can continue committing to the youth movement

Mal
12-31-2020, 06:12 PM
I would love DeMar to stay, but under reasonable cap hit.

John B
01-08-2021, 01:25 AM
Demar shooting the 3 is really making a big difference.
He has made 9/21 from the 3pt, at 46.7% :lol
Better ball movement and creating open lanes for our guys to drive to the hole.

RC_Drunkford
01-08-2021, 01:34 AM
U clearly didn't watch those games... LMFAO

I thought you want to be in the lottery dumbo

Dejounte
01-08-2021, 01:36 AM
The only way I see Vassell getting increased minutes next season is letting go of either DeMar or Mills.

ezau
01-09-2021, 10:44 PM
Do it RC!

John B
01-09-2021, 10:47 PM
Trade this bum :lol:lol

ezau
01-09-2021, 10:50 PM
Trade this bum :lol:lol

Kawhi ain't walking through that door, son. :lol

TheGreatYacht
01-10-2021, 12:28 AM
I'm in favor it. No one is coming in FA regardless. His style fits so well around our young players

John B
01-10-2021, 12:44 AM
Spurs will make the playoffs, and Demar will be in the All Star. Book it.
I like to say All-NBA but :lol. He hits those 3's with consistently yes.

Atl Spur
01-10-2021, 12:55 AM
Add draft picks, John Collins, & DD

GAustex
01-10-2021, 12:55 AM
Please no

lefty
01-10-2021, 01:34 AM

tbdog
01-10-2021, 02:55 AM
I fucking love DDR game. It's so fun to watch. It's a shame he was traded for Leonard though.

Budkin
01-10-2021, 03:12 AM
How the tide has turned. I’m just as guilty as anyone.

John B
01-10-2021, 03:14 AM
Him taking the 3’s will just open his game some more, as defenders will get burn on his drive as they try to close in.

BillMc
01-10-2021, 03:24 AM
Extension? Sure. Max? No.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-10-2021, 03:45 AM
His assist to turnover ratio has been incredible this season.

EasyMoney
01-10-2021, 06:37 AM
I want to see him do this in the playoffs, though. Raptors fans were fooled by his elite performances in the regular season, only to regress in the playoffs.

Rummpd
01-10-2021, 07:18 AM
Fools gold trade ASAP if you can.

quentin_compson
01-10-2021, 09:04 AM
Thank you but no thank you ...

Em-City
01-10-2021, 09:32 AM

Siakam
Conley
McCollum
Simmons
Embiid
Wiggins
Towns
Tatum
Tobias Harris
DeAaron Fox
Kevin Love
Blake Griffin

--many more.

Ja Morant
Booker
Jaylen Brown
Wall
Butler
CP3
Donovan Mitchell
Oladipo
Murray (Denver)

Dude, you aren't a bad poster but this is just bat shit crazy

spursince#99
01-10-2021, 11:01 AM
Well well well.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-10-2021, 11:07 AM
if he takes 3 threes a game and makes 40% lock him up

spursince#99
01-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Honestly, nobody’s coming through that front door to save us. I don’t have faith in PATFO to save us either. They believe their job is to maintain culture instead of putting together a talented roster. With that being said, DeRozan, more likely than not, will be given an extension. Hopefully he waits until another max contract is signed like Collins (doubtful), but he is staying and will be rewarded. That’s how we operate. If you don’t know this, well you haven’t been watching this team long enough. They trust him now. Aldridge otoh, if he is allowed back, well let’s just say I will no longer follow this team into complete purgatory.

Seventyniner
01-10-2021, 12:19 PM
His assist to turnover ratio has been incredible this season.

As has that of the whole team. They showed a graphic last night that the Spurs' AST/TO as a team would be the highest ever if the season ended today.

In fact, the Spurs lead the league right now in TOV% at 9.5, and that's the first time I can remember seeing a number under 10. It's still early in the season, but I can still be impressed at how well the Spurs are taking care of the ball.

bluebellmaniac
01-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Give him 3 yrs at $20MM per. He can definitely earn more, but where is his best chance to ring again (and again)? This could be the place, but he'll have to do us the favor to keep him surrounded by enough talent to get him and us there.

It'll be matter of what he finds important. Those who grow into the system and the psychology sometimes bend to what the heart desires. So does he desire $$$ more or shots of wearing more rings and the HOF enshrinement?

Kurgan
01-10-2021, 12:30 PM
Spurs are usually quick to give extensions to guys they like. The fact that they couldn't settle on one for Demar tells me they either don't value him that much or his price is too high.

Prime BEEF
01-10-2021, 04:11 PM
Fools gold trade ASAP if you can.
Yup his value is high right now. Need to trade him immediately before it lowers

couchman
01-10-2021, 11:00 PM
We sure missed his playmaking tonight. It was a chance for the youngsters to step up but only Lonnie got the memo.

John B
01-10-2021, 11:07 PM
Give him 3 yrs at $20MM per. He can definitely earn more, but where is his best chance to ring again (and again)? This could be the place, but he'll have to do us the favor to keep him surrounded by enough talent to get him and us there.

It'll be matter of what he finds important. Those who grow into the system and the psychology sometimes bend to what the heart desires. So does he desire $$$ more or shots of wearing more rings and the HOF enshrinement?

Once he shows he can hit the 3’s, Demar is not taking that. Every team will be bidding for him.

TheGreatYacht
01-11-2021, 01:21 AM
3yr/80M is a win-win for both sides tbh

venitian navigator
01-11-2021, 02:54 AM
4 x 80 is better... 20 x year is actually gonna be the most paid contract on the team coming ho next season, guarantee him money till he gets old and legitimate him as the veteran cornerstone of the franchise...

tbdog
01-11-2021, 03:41 AM
Hayward contract is something DDR will ask for.

venitian navigator
01-11-2021, 04:38 AM
Hayward contract is something DDR will ask for.
Asking is in his right... But Noone in the entire nba is gonna give him that contract... Except maybe the Knicks. But I am not that sure they are gonna compromise their cap that deeply... It's all about if he buys in the chance to stay relevant in an improving team with soon to be contender perspective. He and LMA and Gay were here also last season and all of them responsible for the first non play off season in a while. It all depends by example... And it starts with your earnings. The same can be said for LMA and Mills... Playing well only in a contract season is not affordable anymore and all your choices have to be made in a team and not only individual perspective. With the young movement we are back on that winning track...

cd021
01-11-2021, 10:44 AM
Spurs are usually quick to give extensions to guys they like. The fact that they couldn't settle on one for Demar tells me they either don't value him that much or his price is too high.

I don't think that's been brought up enough. The fact that they haven't extended him probably says something about how they view him. I don't think they'd let him get to FA where another team has an opportunity to sign him if they viewed him as a key piece going forward.

I still think that they try and trade him, though he's young enough to sign a three year extension and for him to probably be still be worth it. Still, the Spurs a bunch of much younger and cheaper perimeter options that could be key players going forward. It probably doesn't make sense to re-sign him given the limited ceiling of a DeRozan lead team.

cd021
01-11-2021, 10:56 AM
4 x 80 is better... 20 x year is actually gonna be the most paid contract on the team coming ho next season, guarantee him money till he gets old and legitimate him as the veteran cornerstone of the franchise...

If they were to re-sign him-- which i'm not in favor of--it wouldn't make sense to re-sign him for 4 years. He'll be 35 and significantly older than the younger core. Three years would be the absolute limit, he'd still probably be good at 34 but its not certain and it'll come down to salary.

Something like 3 years $72 million with the 3rd year partially guaranteed for like $10 million would make more sense. He still gets paid a big salary while the Spurs retain him on a slightly more affordable deal with protections in case he doesn't age well.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-11-2021, 12:45 PM
If he keeps hitting threes some team will be willing to overpay him next year.

Ice009
01-11-2021, 08:22 PM
If they were to re-sign him-- which i'm not in favor of--it wouldn't make sense to re-sign him for 4 years. He'll be 35 and significantly older than the younger core. Three years would be the absolute limit, he'd still probably be good at 34 but its not certain and it'll come down to salary.

Something like 3 years $72 million with the 3rd year partially guaranteed for like $10 million would make more sense. He still gets paid a big salary while the Spurs retain him on a slightly more affordable deal with protections in case he doesn't age well.

I like your numbers. I'd maybe go up to $80M for three years if they can have a partial guarantee on that third year.

GAustex
01-11-2021, 08:35 PM
Please no
Set him free
Or get something good for him if you can

r0drig0lac
01-11-2021, 08:50 PM
Please no
Set him free
Or get something good for him if you can

if Clippers had any resources it would be the ideal partner for SA (if the team doesn't re-sign with him)

KingKev
01-12-2021, 02:36 PM
DDR is getting 3/90mm and Patty 3/39 mm if we make playoffs

spurs1990
01-12-2021, 11:04 PM
Spurs beat a tougher team than Minnesota without him. There's life beyond DeRozan.
I'll even say it was a lot more fun watching them play. Walker is taking the mantle as the scoring threat

slick'81
01-14-2021, 11:31 PM
:lol:rollin:lmao

TheCerebral1
01-16-2021, 03:19 PM
Fuck this entire thread. Watching this clown any longer than this season is a pure laugh. He should have been traded for picks in the offseason. The Spurs as is, are not going to make the playoffs and we're again in the mid tier lottery. Popovich, get over yourself and embrace the change NOW. DeRozan is NOT a franchise player, and NOT a max salary player. This is a fucking joke.

spurraider21
01-17-2021, 12:57 AM
2/11 from 3 in his last 6 games... looks like those early season shooting numbers were a mirage. still think he's at his best when he's racking up the assists, not the points/FGA

KingKev
01-17-2021, 07:56 AM
Get used to 3 more years od DDR Spurs fans. When we inevitably strike out in free agency he will be back on an above market value deal (overpay is the cost for exploring free agency).

duncan2k5
01-17-2021, 08:55 AM
Fuck this entire thread. Watching this clown any longer than this season is a pure laugh. He should have been traded for picks in the offseason. The Spurs as is, are not going to make the playoffs and we're again in the mid tier lottery. Popovich, get over yourself and embrace the change NOW. DeRozan is NOT a franchise player, and NOT a max salary player. This is a fucking joke.

Finally someone sees what I've been saying...sadly the FO will resign him to a max deal and he will be here for years to come...they're always the LAST to see when a move needs to be made

Mugen
01-17-2021, 12:49 PM
What a colossal mistake bringing him back would be, even if it's for below market value. Ball dominant, wrong side of 30, still a net negative on defense, will probably end up costing them a promising young player like Walker or Keldon...

Gonna suck tbh :lol

Dejounte
01-17-2021, 12:56 PM
People were adamant that the Spurs would "definitely" be bringing back Forbes. Let's not premature ejaculate and assume such things until it happens, shall we?

Mugen
01-17-2021, 01:58 PM
Hopefully the Bucks get desperate in the summer. Bud bailing us out has been the only way the old man has stayed relevant in the past 5 years :lol

Degoat
01-17-2021, 02:06 PM
The thing that is concerning to me is the spurs have all of this cap space for next offseason but the free agency is getting weaker and weaker lol and LMA trade value has to be at an all time low, he got benched in 4th quarter against the third string rockets, I at least think Demar, Rudy, Patty could interest some teams, I can’t think of a single team who would give the spurs any value for LMA

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-17-2021, 02:11 PM
Finally someone sees what I've been saying...sadly the FO will resign him to a max deal and he will be here for years to come...they're always the LAST to see when a move needs to be made

I’m going to laugh when Demar is still a productive asset while your whiny little boy crush Kawhattie has long since lost the ability to move around the court. I watched Kawhi get taken off the dribble several times this season in the few games I’ve seen the Clippers play. He’s already losing the ability to move laterally and defend, but the Clips gave up their future to make him happy and be perennial second round performers.

poopbox
01-17-2021, 02:12 PM
Doesn't fit with the team tbh...we need a natural "small ball" floor spacing 4...demar is playing the 4 cause it's the only way he can get on the court, since we have so many guards...which won't be changing anytime soon since Jones will be getting minutes next season as well...

Team will take a short term hit since only White is close to his playmaking but in the long run we will be much better off with a more natural 4 that derozan

GAustex
01-17-2021, 02:18 PM
For DDR money we might figure out how to get 2 6’8” dudes who can play good enough

r0drig0lac
01-17-2021, 04:11 PM
For DDR money we might figure out how to get 2 6’8” dudes who can play good enough

OPJ for DDR

cd021
01-17-2021, 07:01 PM
OPJ for DDR
Depends on whether Chi is actually trying to compete.

DDR for Porter Jr and a lottery protected 2021 1st makes sense if they are and the Spurs are willing to move its vets.

KingKev
01-17-2021, 07:11 PM

DDR for Porter Jr and a lottery protected 2021 1st makes sense if they are and the Spurs are willing to move its vets.

Doubt bulls give up a first for DDR without a commitment he re-signs

cd021
01-18-2021, 06:43 AM
Doubt bulls give up a first for DDR without a commitment he re-signs
I don't know if that's a huge issue tbh. If their interested in DDR, then it implies that their trying to make the playoffs. They'll have his bird rights and/ or a lot of cap space. They can offer as good of an offer as he's likely get in the open market.

DDR is definitely better that OPJ so the Spurs asking for a 1st seems reasonable while making the pick lottery protected probably makes the Bulls much more willing to do that hypothetical deal because it's dependent on how much DDR helps them.

KingKev
01-18-2021, 07:16 AM
I don't know if that's a huge issue tbh. If their interested in DDR, then it implies that their trying to make the playoffs. They'll have his bird rights and/ or a lot of cap space. They can offer as good of an offer as he's likely get in the open market.

DDR is definitely better that OPJ so the Spurs asking for a 1st seems reasonable while making the pick lottery protected probably makes the Bulls much more willing to do that hypothetical deal because it's dependent on how much DDR helps them.

The Bulls have similar cap space to us this off season and could sign him outright. Why give up a first rounder even if lottery protected for a run at a 7-8 seed when you can use that draft pick which will be valuable and sign the player outright for a long term deal? Only a contender will take that chance ala Clippers last season with getting Marcus Morris. Teams like the Clippers, Bucks and Lakers have virtually no 1st round picks to offer. DDR will not be moved this season. Maybe we can get some value in the off-season via sign and trade as the teams that can pay him aren’t too appealing for a ring chasing vet who wants to still get paid market value.

cd021
01-18-2021, 09:14 AM
The Bulls have similar cap space to us this off season and could sign him outright. Why give up a first rounder even if lottery protected for a run at a 7-8 seed when you can use that draft pick which will be valuable and sign the player outright for a long term deal? Only a contender will take that chance ala Clippers last season with getting Marcus Morris. Teams like the Clippers, Bucks and Lakers have virtually no 1st round picks to offer. DDR will not be moved this season. Maybe we can get some value in the off-season via sign and trade as the teams that can pay him aren’t too appealing for a ring chasing vet who wants to still get paid market value.

The Bulls do, but they also aren't guaranteed of even being able to sign him. Trading for him gives the Bulls a chance to sell him on the team rather than competing with other teams who will do the same thing in FA.

I don't disagree that they could just pursue him in FA and keep their pick-- that's what I'd do if I were them-- but who knows what their motivations are.

They are a big market team that hasn't really been relevant in a while, it's a splashy move but maybe not their best option.

I'm skeptical about the S&T option. Technically,
it's possible, but the Spurs would have to take on some form of bad salary from a presumably good team, without getting back young talent or even picks. The Spurs might just let him walk than do that.

Prime BEEF
01-18-2021, 11:52 AM
The thing that is concerning to me is the spurs have all of this cap space for next offseason but the free agency is getting weaker and weaker lol and LMA trade value has to be at an all time low, he got benched in 4th quarter against the third string rockets, I at least think Demar, Rudy, Patty could interest some teams, I can’t think of a single team who would give the spurs any value for LMA
Yup. That’s why the smart move would’ve been to trade before the draft. Only value he has now is his expiring contract.

Prime BEEF
01-18-2021, 11:54 AM
Are there any 6’8” good defenders available in free agency this offseason? If not, really need to trade him

Prime BEEF
01-18-2021, 11:56 AM

Always thought Murray/Lyles/ddr for LaVine/OPJ was a good trade for both teams

RC_Drunkford
01-18-2021, 12:23 PM
Are there any 6’8” good defenders available in free agency this offseason? If not, really need to trade him

the only interesting players available are John Collins and Jarret Allen. That’s it.

R. DeMurre
01-18-2021, 12:41 PM
the only interesting players available are John Collins and Jarret Allen. That’s it.

I think there are a few that will be interesting to watch this season: Richaun Holmes, Harry Giles, Isaac Bonga, Khem Birch. All FAs after this season. Holmes has arguably been the best player for the Kings so far this year. Giles had a great preseason but hasn't played much, though that's probably about to change due to the Nurkic injury.

Dejounte
01-18-2021, 01:03 PM
I think there are a few that will be interesting to watch this season: Richaun Holmes, Harry Giles, Isaac Bonga, Khem Birch. All FAs after this season. Holmes has arguably been the best player for the Kings so far this year. Giles had a great preseason but hasn't played much, though that's probably about to change due to the Nurkic injury.

Larry Nance Jr. is having a solid year defensively. If the Cavs are willing to part ways with him, he could fit in nicely. Not sure if we have anything they would want though.

Their locker room is going down in flames, maybe they need a "culture vet" to set an example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cibJO5ERz1Q

R. DeMurre
01-18-2021, 02:01 PM
Larry Nance Jr. is having a solid year defensively. If the Cavs are willing to part ways with him, he could fit in nicely. Not sure if we have anything they would want though.

Their locker room is going down in flames, maybe they need a "culture vet" to set an example...

Yeah, I'm a fan of his play too. He's got one year left on his current contract, as does Chris Boucher-- another guy I know we both like. Sadly, I imagine Boucher would be hard to trade for now, after his amazing start this season.

Prime BEEF
01-18-2021, 04:56 PM
That’s an amazingly bad FA class if that’s really the only good guys on the market. What a horrible time to have DDR, LMA, mills, gay, Lyles expiring contracts. What a waste of cap space. The FO probably won’t even try to go after Collins or Allen

mo7888
01-18-2021, 05:27 PM

I was looking at his stats yesterday... he's hitting almost 43% from 3 this year. I'm sure there will be a regression to the mean but he could be an attainable target.

mo7888
01-18-2021, 05:28 PM
That’s an amazingly bad FA class if that’s really the only good guys on the market. What a horrible time to have DDR, LMA, mills, gay, Lyles expiring contracts. What a waste of cap space. The FO probably won’t even try to go after Collins or Allen

It's an awful class... the best FA's that can be gotten are ours... we'd have a better chance getting someone through a trade.

spurraider21
01-18-2021, 05:29 PM
could do worse than Nance... he could take over the Gay role in large part, while adding some more juice.

RC_Drunkford
01-18-2021, 09:18 PM

Nance Jr. would be a pretty good Rudy Gay replacement, but I don't know how we could trade for him

RC_Drunkford
01-18-2021, 09:24 PM

out of all the players you mentioned, the only one you could start is Holmes and he can't shoot 3s. All the other guys average 5 PPG against bench units. Those are Trey Lyles type of numbers. We are looking for starters. I have no clue what the Spurs are going to do with 50 million in cap space. I just want them to add Collins and maybe they can find somebody nice in Europe who isn't on people's radar

Dejounte
01-18-2021, 09:26 PM
Nance Jr. would be a pretty good Rudy Gay replacement, but I don't know how we could trade for him

Rudy Gay with defense.

At this point, if we exceed season expectations and end up being a top 4 WC team, I would trade a late first for Nance along with a vet. Reading great stuff about him being a leader and positive locker room presence.

Dejounte
01-18-2021, 09:36 PM
out of all the players you mentioned, the only one you could start is Holmes and he can't shoot 3s. All the other guys average 5 PPG against bench units. Those are Trey Lyles type of numbers. We are looking for starters. I have no clue what the Spurs are going to do with 50 million in cap space. I just want them to add Collins and maybe they can find somebody nice in Europe who isn't on people's radar

The more I watch Richaun, the more I like. Dude has a nice floater. He's not a shooter and he's a C, but we also have ten guards. Overcrowding a position seems like our M.O.

https://youtu.be/WLiF8PRGevs

Whenever Poetl's being soft, you throw Richaun in there and let him work. He seems to have great synergy with guards.

I wonder though if the Kings would actually let their starting C go for nothing.

Rather go for Richaun than overpay Collins.

R. DeMurre
01-18-2021, 10:57 PM

My idea is to watch these guys this year and see which ones potentially take off. Giles is 22, Bonga is 21. They're both very young despite being in the league a few years already. Look at a player like De'Andre Hunter: his efficiency and advanced stats this year compared to last are like night & day. The one year of experience made a big deal in terms of his development, and he's 23. Every year there's someone that suddenly blossoms into a legit player after not being especially noteworthy previously-- I think Richaun Holmes and Chris Boucher are good examples at the moment, as is Keldon Johnson.

Sugus
01-19-2021, 12:18 AM
The more I watch Richaun, the more I like. Dude has a nice floater. He's not a shooter and he's a C, but we also have ten guards. Overcrowding a position seems like our M.O.

Whenever Poetl's being soft, you throw Richaun in there and let him work. He seems to have great synergy with guards.

I wonder though if the Kings would actually let their starting C go for nothing.

Rather go for Richaun than overpay Collins.

Holmes is great, I was just talking about him in another post today. He's ridiculously cheap for now, too - I looked it up and he apparently signed a 2 year, almost $10M contract. I really don't think the Kings will let go of him easily though, considering how good he plays for the little he's paid, but I'm holding out some hope that they have a bit of a fire sale if their ship keeps sinking, and he could be had.

I don't know if he replaces a Collins type though, in fact they could make a good pairing theoretically (and with Collins really letting it fly for spacing). Seems like Collins would rather play the 4 than the 5 full time, from what I've seen/heard of him; a bigs rotation of Collins, Holmes, then Poeltl sounds really good - too much to be real, maybe.

Thomas82
01-19-2021, 07:22 AM
Yup. That’s why the smart move would’ve been to trade before the draft. Only value he has now is his expiring contract.

It's too bad that PATFO overvalues their players though. That's a major hinderance to the Spurs as far as trades go.

Dejounte
01-19-2021, 09:01 AM
Holmes is great, I was just talking about him in another post today. He's ridiculously cheap for now, too - I looked it up and he apparently signed a 2 year, almost $10M contract. I really don't think the Kings will let go of him easily though, considering how good he plays for the little he's paid, but I'm holding out some hope that they have a bit of a fire sale if their ship keeps sinking, and he could be had.

I don't know if he replaces a Collins type though, in fact they could make a good pairing theoretically (and with Collins really letting it fly for spacing). Seems like Collins would rather play the 4 than the 5 full time, from what I've seen/heard of him; a bigs rotation of Collins, Holmes, then Poeltl sounds really good - too much to be real, maybe.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting.. You think he's not a FA this upcoming season? He will be an unrestricted free agent.

Sugus
01-21-2021, 01:57 PM
Sorry if I'm misinterpreting.. You think he's not a FA this upcoming season? He will be an unrestricted free agent.

Wait, he's a UFA? I'm dumb :lol I thought he was on the first year of his two-year deal, not the second one. Definitely hope the Spurs try to get him then. He'll be looking for a paycheck for sure though, especially if he keeps up a relatively good level of play, he's really underpaid right now. Wonder if the Spurs would be willing to go hard at him (since I'm not all sold that they'll throw a max at Collins) and try to outbid other teams to get him.

GAustex
01-21-2021, 02:16 PM
Let him walk or trade him for something good to whatever sucker will take him

itzsoweezee
01-22-2021, 10:49 PM
This post will never not be funny :lol

slick'81
01-22-2021, 10:52 PM
Bbb but for the right price:lol. Dude is a career fucking loser

spurraider21
01-22-2021, 10:53 PM
end of games all we run is derozan isos. every time. what happened to those plays pop used to draw up? he gives derozan more leeway than he ever gave duncan or manu :lol

Robz4000
01-22-2021, 10:57 PM
end of games all we run is derozan isos. every time. what happened to those plays pop used to draw up? he gives derozan more leeway than he ever gave duncan or manu :lol

Prolly afraid DePression might go off himself in a Jack in the Box parking lot if he so much as looks at him the wrong way. Seriously, if he's extended after the season I don't think I can watch any more Spurs games.

spurs1990
01-22-2021, 10:59 PM
It took a 38 point game versus the shitty Timberwolves for this thread to blow up. Glad there's more than 5 games in a season.

CGD
01-22-2021, 11:01 PM
I thinking hommie is eager to find a way home to LA

GAustex
01-22-2021, 11:02 PM
Let him walk or trade him for something good to whatever sucker will take him

timtonymanu
01-22-2021, 11:04 PM

"if he keeps shooting the 3 like this."

Didn't we say this for the last two years and he never did a damn thing to improve on it? Same iso player, choker bullshit. I really don't think I can stomach more years of him.

spurraider21
01-22-2021, 11:11 PM

Didn't we say this for the last two years and he never did a damn thing to improve on it? Same iso player, choker bullshit. I really don't think I can stomach more years of him.
because he was shooting them to begin the year. had 2 games with three 3PM in the first 5 games to start the year. turns out it was a mirage

JuneJive
01-23-2021, 02:16 PM
DDR + LMA on the court are net negatives.

3rd year in a row.

Move on from both. Please and thank you.

Prime BEEF
01-23-2021, 03:12 PM
DDR + LMA on the court are net negatives.

3rd year in a row.

Move on from both. Please and thank you.
I have lost any hope that the FO will trade either of them. Now I’m just hoping they don’t resign them

talkspurs
01-23-2021, 03:39 PM
I would still do a Lonnie and trey lyles for Mo Bamba. gives us what we need and I think they have given up on him being the man. (out right now do to covid). He can shoot the 3 and is good a defense.

KingKev
01-23-2021, 04:05 PM
I think most are in agreement we will be hard pressed to score even a first for DDR at the deadline - there are only 15 teams who can even trade a first round pick this year. I see his fair market value being 25mm this off-season with a possibility he gets 3yr/90mm from a team with cap space to burn (ourselves included). I will qualify my post with the statement I absolutely do not want to see DDR back for a penny over 15mm a year and even in that it would be at a reduced role of 6th man.

What you all think his value would be this summer in a sign and trade. In my opinion this is the only way we can salvage anything for him at this point. The teams that have cap space to outright sign him are not very appealing destinations. I could see a fringe contender taking a chance on him if they can get a 3yr commitment. I wonder if we could get a first, young player and cap filler from a team on the verge of contention with no cap space. The quality of the young player in the trade will likely be inversely related to the player who is being used to match salaries.

RC_Drunkford
01-23-2021, 05:50 PM

I'd rather have Collins instead of DeRozan. I just don't see a lot of players that we can add with 50 million in cap space besides him.

SpursDynasty85
01-23-2021, 11:15 PM
I'd rather have Collins instead of DeRozan. I just don't see a lot of players that we can add with 50 million in cap space besides him.

Montrez Harrel has a player option this summer. IMO, he would be ideal and should fetch a below $20M/yr price.

RC_Drunkford
01-24-2021, 06:19 PM
Montrez Harrel has a player option this summer. IMO, he would be ideal and should fetch a below $20M/yr price.

Montrez Harrel doesn't play defense. We need rim protection and rebounding and it would be good to have at least 1 Center who can shoot the 3. I'd much rather get Holmes than Harrel

duncan2150
01-24-2021, 07:05 PM
Montrez Harrel doesn't play defense. We need rim protection and rebounding and it would be good to have at least 1 Center who can shoot the 3. I'd much rather get Holmes than Harrel
+1

mo7888
01-24-2021, 08:41 PM
We ain't and noone else is paying 30mil per year for detrash.:lol

He'll get his money...there's too much cap space available with to few UFA's... I just hope it's not here.

SpursDynasty85
01-24-2021, 10:29 PM

He would fit next to Poetl. Not a great rim protector but moves his feet well and can rebound well enough. Holmes would be good too.

spurs1990
01-24-2021, 10:36 PM
Trade deadline is two months out on 25 March. Anybody think DeRozan can fetch a high 1st rounder between now and then?

mo7888
01-24-2021, 11:18 PM
Trade deadline is two months out on 25 March. Anybody think DeRozan can fetch a high 1st rounder between now and then?

Nope...but he might fetch a low 1st rounder

Prime BEEF
01-25-2021, 12:58 PM
You’d have to get creative but it’s possible. I think you’d have to package him with Murray and take back a bad contract in order to get a first. Example, I think Washington would do a DDR/Murray/Lyles for Westbrook/1st rd pick trade.

Westbrook’s contract is god awful but you’d also get a lottery pick. No risk no reward. You’d still have $50M available to go after a couple of FA to surround our young guys and both 2021 1st rd picks.

RC_Drunkford
01-25-2021, 02:28 PM
You’d have to get creative but it’s possible. I think you’d have to package him with Murray and take back a bad contract in order to get a first. Example, I think Washington would do a DDR/Murray/Lyles for Westbrook/1st rd pick trade.

Westbrook’s contract is god awful but you’d also get a lottery pick. No risk no reward. You’d still have $50M available to go after a couple of FA to surround our young guys and both 2021 1st rd picks.

That would be beyond stupid. Murray alone is better than Westbrook right now

spurraider21
02-01-2021, 11:28 PM
:lol max

GAustex
02-01-2021, 11:36 PM
DDR could not do anything against Memphis and the dude he was guarding stole his lunch money

Ice009
02-02-2021, 07:58 AM
:lol max

Yeah, wow, no. My answer to this thread right now is "NO FUCKING WAY".

Spurs got fleeced in the Kawhi trade. They're just going to have to bite the bullet and let him walk. Anyone think we can trade him for a first round draft pick or a decent player? If not, let him walk. DO NOT resign him. Let Aldridge go and also let Mills go. If Mills wants to come back, he has to do so at a cheap contract. No more 50 million bullshit.

The Truth #6
02-02-2021, 08:30 AM
Yeah, wow, no. My answer to this thread right now is "NO FUCKING WAY".

Spurs got fleeced in the Kawhi trade. They're just going to have to bite the bullet and let him walk. Anyone think we can trade him for a first round draft pick or a decent player? If not, let him walk. DO NOT resign him. Let Aldridge go and also let Mills go. If Mills wants to come back, he has to do so at a cheap contract. No more 50 million bullshit.

Totally agree. As for Rudy, I’m on the fence. We actually need his size, though Lyles at a minimum might make more sense.

LeBowen
02-02-2021, 08:50 AM
^
I doubt we could get anything useful for Rudy. Maybe if we take a bad contract that's not an expiring.

Imo, packaging Rudy and Patty together would be ideal, but we all know come 2030 when Patty finally decides to retire, #8 will hang in the rafters. :lol

Demar should be traded asap, literally a detriment to all the young guys. A max player doesn't disappear against a team like Grizzlies two games in a row.
Wouldn't offer him anything more than 15-18 million and 6th man role.

LMA is just dead weight at this point and noone would even be interesetd.

PrimeMinister
02-02-2021, 11:59 AM
Demar Derozan is an elite bench scorer and should be paid accordingly

Anyone dumb enough to run him out against another team's starting unit either has 4 All-Defense caliber players around him or wants a lottery ticket.

BackHome
02-02-2021, 09:45 PM
Rudy will get us a second round pick - Mills would get us a late first early second pick - DEROZZ would get us a mid first round pick

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-03-2021, 11:32 AM
If he's auditioning for that max extension he's not doing a great job right now.

I like DDR, but he's disappeared in multiple games now. I didn't see much of that last season.

rankingtear
02-03-2021, 11:56 AM
Zach Lowe said he is the Drummond of guards in terms of his market value. No one wants to trade for him because he is asking a lot for his extension and the fact that he is a dinosaur. 18-20 is what teams are willing to give him. Sign and trade is the only way we can get something in return.

Degoat
02-03-2021, 12:07 PM
Zach Lowe said he is the Drummond of guards in terms of his market value. No one wants to trade for him because he is asking a lot for his extension and the fact that he is a dinosaur. 18-20 is what teams are willing to give him. Sign and trade is the only way we can get something in return.

Did Lowe say that on his podcast or what?? I don’t get it, demar has lots of faults but the guy averages 20/5/5.

cd021
02-03-2021, 12:08 PM
Problem is there is a lot of teams with money available in the off-season. Unless a contender wants him, the odds of an S&T seems unlikely. Basically Spurs lose both him and, presumably Aldridge for nothing.

The Truth #6
02-03-2021, 12:13 PM
Problem is there is a lot of teams with money available in the off-season. Unless a contender wants him, the odds of an S&T seems unlikely. Basically Spurs lose both him and, presumably Aldridge for nothing.

I agree. But I've also accepted that it would be worse to resign them. The team just needs to move on, ideally from all four veterans who are on expiring contracts.

As for Patty, he is a Spur for life, but maybe he can come back in a few years and be an assistant coach. I really don't want to see the team drop big money on him, especially when we have so many other guards on the team.

cd021
02-03-2021, 12:27 PM
Rudy will get us a second round pick - Mills would get us a late first early second pick - DEROZZ would get us a mid first round pick
Mills could definitely net a late first tbh. Rudy would probably get two future far off seconds (seemingly the going rate for vets wings).

Or the Spurs could package both Mils and Gay together -- two birds one stone. Boston might be an option with their TE, something like:
Langford, Ojele, and their 2021 first.

DeMar probably could net a first but the Spurs would probably have to take on salaries that extend past this season to help make it worth the other team's while.

cd021
02-03-2021, 12:36 PM
I agree. But I've also accepted that it would be worse to resign them. The team just needs to move on, ideally from all four veterans who are on expiring contracts.

As for Patty, he is a Spur for life, but maybe he can come back in a few years and be an assistant coach. I really don't want to see the team drop big money on him, especially when we have so many other guards on the team.

I think Mills, Gay, DDR, and LMA are all gone one way or another next season. Aldridge looks washed, DDR wants a long-term deal that the Spurs probably would've already offered if they were interested, while Gay and Mills are likely to get a lot of interest from contenders.

rankingtear
02-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Did Lowe say that on his podcast or what?? I don’t get it, demar has lots of faults but the guy averages 20/5/5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP0Gz-BeOw8

Drummong is 17 and 15, dinosaurs are dinosaurs.

I think if we somehow convinced Bojan to sign with us last last offseason Demar would have been gone. There are talks about dumping him to CLE for the JR Smith partially guaranteed contract. PATFO does not really like him as much as others here seem to think. He is just talent, the fit is a volume 3 point shooting big wing.

R. DeMurre
02-03-2021, 02:06 PM
DeRozan as the Drummond of Guards is really the perfect analogy.

spurs1990
02-03-2021, 02:23 PM
I'm really struggling to understand the frequent posts arguing against Patty Mills. One, he's only a bench player, so at most he's good for 20 min a game. Secondly in his role he's very productive especially being far and away the most reliable 3-pt shooter. Then to add his contribution during the great years (2014 Apex) and being the catalyst for team chemistry, he should be the one vet everyone likes.

As for DeRozan leaving this summer without anything in return, to borrow a Charles Dutton line, there are far greater tragedies in life.

Degoat
02-03-2021, 02:51 PM
Well that Zach Lowe thing was from a year ago lol I mean Demar needs to be shipped out for any positive value we can get but at that time last year Both Drummond & Demar value was pretty low, I think it’s a little higher this season.

rjv
02-03-2021, 02:55 PM
demar won't be getting a max with any team at this point so the question really becomes should the spurs try to re-sign him and. if so, at what cost?

LakerHater
02-03-2021, 03:14 PM
https://abs.twimg.com/hashflags/NBAAllStar_2021/NBAAllStar_2021.png

cd021
02-03-2021, 04:25 PM
demar won't be getting a max with any team at this point so the question really becomes should the spurs try to re-sign him and. if so, at what cost?
No. He'll want a multi-year deal, probably 3 years, $75 million. Assuming they miss the playoffs, and even if they do, there's still no reason to bring him back when they could be a non-playoff team without committing to him.

BatManu20
02-03-2021, 05:50 PM
DeMar should be gone after this season. He’s not as bad as a lot of people on this site make him out to be, but he’s not a great player either and is never going to be. We know what he is, and that’s never going to change, no matter how much we want it to. Let him walk to the highest bidder because he simply doesn’t move the needle, and there will definitely be someone dumb enough to pay him like an All-Star.

BackHome
02-03-2021, 06:09 PM
I really like Mills but he is going to want to get paid and he is going to want to get minutes so for both parties it’s better to find a partner that works for both of us. Plus it’s his contract year I think this is the best he will ever be and after this season will start to see a fast slide as he ages a lot of his game is based on speed as he is so small. Plus we need the young kids to grow up and grab the baton on leadership say what you want about DJ but he gets a lot of support from all of the youngsters.

As far as DEROZZ yeah he is not as bad as people say but he is going to want to get paid and he is going to probably want to play for a contender. I can easily see him though taking a slight pay cut and going to some contender were he won’t have to worry about being the man. It will be a shame though that we will probably let him walk for nothing.

TD 21
02-03-2021, 07:37 PM

To add to that: Aldridge and Mills probably go for the MLE and Gay for the room exception.

Regarding Mills, all the reasons they value him remain intact and could become exacerbated if as expected the other 3 vets depart (they'll probably sign at least one to replace them; Dieng could make sense) and his skillset is still needed.

I don't think they'd hesitate to give him a 3 year contract. I'll come down to whether he wants to go to a contender or not.

Mills could definitely net a late first tbh. Rudy would probably get two future far off seconds (seemingly the going rate for vets wings).

Or the Spurs could package both Mils and Gay together -- two birds one stone. Boston might be an option with their TE, something like:
Langford, Ojele, and their 2021 first.

In a typical season, with a typical team in the Spurs situation, no question. Most good teams literally can't trade their 1st though and either way, they probably value Mills more than a late 1st.

I don't see the Celtics parting with both Langford and their 1st. They're notoriously conservative and need at least one of Langford (if he ever returns) or Nesmith to become a solid rotation player in relatively short order to replenish their wing depth.

cd021
02-03-2021, 11:58 PM
To add to that: Aldridge and Mills probably go for the MLE and Gay for the room exception.

Agreed on Mills and LMA. IIRC the room exception is for when teams are at or under the cap and is for around ~$5 million. He'd probably be going to a contender, one who is more likely to be over the cap, so probably the room mid-level. That's around ~5.8, similar enough in regards to salary and a bit closer to his actual value.

Regarding Mills, all the reasons they value him remain intact and could become exacerbated if as expected the other 3 vets depart (they'll probably sign at least one to replace them; Dieng could make sense) and his skillset is still needed.

I don't think they'd hesitate to give him a 3 year contract. I'll come down to whether he wants to go to a contender or not.

They certainly value Mills but I think his time with the team is likely done, no matter what. He'd likely look at a contender while the Spurs have a bunch of young guards who they need to prioritize going forward. They'll definitely sign a vet or two, even if they're non-rotation players, because next years team figures to be significantly younger.

In a typical season, with a typical team in the Spurs situation, no question. Most good teams literally can't trade their 1st though and either way, they probably value Mills more than a late 1st.

I don't see the Celtics parting with both Langford and their 1st. They're notoriously conservative and need at least one of Langford (if he ever returns) or Nesmith to become a solid rotation player in relatively short order to replenish their wing depth.

The Nets, Bucks, Lakers, Clippers, Miami, and Mavs have limited to no use of their 1st round picks, among current playoff teams, going forward. Fair point though that it'd be harder to acquire a 1st for Mills, if the Spurs are seeking to trade him-- which is still uncertain despite how much sense it makes.

Ainge is notorious for trying to get over on other teams, though getting both Mills and Gay could definitely upgrade their rotation and bolster their chances of making the finals. A late first, Ojele, and Langford seems like a perfectly reasonable tradeoff, even for Ainge.

Obviously it depends on how much they value Langford, at this point his value to them has to be higher than his value around the league considering he's only played 32 games in two seasons thus far. There's no telling when or if Langford will be able to contribute; though if they're high on him, then they could technically swap him out for Theis and hope to add a center on the buyout market while still acquiring Gay and Mills.