PDA

View Full Version : Pop needs to get after the Refs for Keldon

Dennis the Menace
12-26-2020, 11:18 PM
This is like the young Kawhi situation all over again. Kawhi would take tons of contact going thru the lane and the refs would mute their whistles. It took a combination of Pop being vocal towards the refs (resulting in Techs) and Kawhi mouthing at them consistently to start getting calls before he hit Superstar status.

I think we would much prefer the refs to start calling it fairly for Keldon in the paint now. Rather than waiting for 2 to 3 years of this until the refs/league realize Keldon is prime time.

Get after it Pop. Unless you’d rather see your player complain to the refs constantly

RC_Drunkford
12-26-2020, 11:23 PM
He gets the rookie treatment from the refs cause they don't know him yet. Gonna take a while til they give him those calls

Dejounte
12-26-2020, 11:25 PM
Keldon attacks the basket more convincingly than Kawhi ever did. He looks like he definitely deserves those fouls. He'll average 20+ in his prime easily.

Dennis the Menace
12-26-2020, 11:26 PM
He gets the rookie treatment from the refs cause they don't know him yet. Gonna take a while til they give him those calls

My point is this can be expedited by Pop ripping into the officials and generating exposure

phxspurfan
12-26-2020, 11:50 PM

This, it seems. Sad we don't have any national TV games so the media can't make up a story piece on him (like they did with Fathead :lol). Maybe next year people will know his name.

Kurgan
12-26-2020, 11:51 PM

They might have known him if Pop actually played him in his rookie season. Until the bubble, he was a G-League regular.

KobesAchilles
12-26-2020, 11:52 PM
Yeah I pointed that out in the game thread. The refs robbed him of at least 8 free throws.

phxspurfan
12-26-2020, 11:55 PM
They might have known him if Pop actually played him in his rookie season. Until the bubble, he was a G-League regular.

I'm going to give PATFO the benefit of the doubt and assume he needed that year. Austin runs the same sets as the big club, so it was time to learn where he needed to be on the floor/the plays. He was only 20 last year, so also, it gave him time to train his jumper. Remember, certain guys (#MeTu) never even learned that shit. Even tonight, certain guys (Lyles) showed they didn't know where to be and what to do.

spurraider21
12-27-2020, 12:02 AM
eh, keldon looks to jump into guys and bowl them over... more than kawhi ever did. he's gonna get a lot of offensive foul calls imo.

i mean harden looks for contact too but keldon wants to shoulder them to the ground, seemingly

Dejounte
12-27-2020, 12:03 AM
eh, keldon looks to jump into guys and bowl them over... more than kawhi ever did. he's gonna get a lot of offensive foul calls imo.

i mean harden looks for contact too but keldon wants to shoulder them to the ground, seemingly

Yet he got called for 0 tonight.

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 12:08 AM

that works really well in today's NBA tbh. You seen Harrell play? Or Zion? PJ Tucker, etc etc etc

Chomag
12-27-2020, 12:59 AM
Its to early to say how good Keldon is going to be but man I am excited

RC_Drunkford
12-27-2020, 06:09 AM
My point is this can be expedited by Pop ripping into the officials and generating exposure

and my point is that that ain't exactly right. Pop was already working the refs during the game yesterday. What I'm saying is the refs need to know that Keldon Johnson is a player who takes it to the rim strong all the time and once they do, they will call those fouls. Pop can try to work them, but that will not get Keldon consistent foul calls.

John B
12-27-2020, 09:58 AM
This, it seems. Sad we don't have any national TV games so the media can't make up a story piece on him (like they did with Fathead :lol). Maybe next year people will know his name.
This. Spurs lack of national TV exposures would hurt Keldon. But on the flip side, he has time to even improve without getting scouted much.

jbspurs
12-27-2020, 10:47 AM

Keldon only uses shoulder at the top when opponents jump to challenge his shots, That will never be an offensive foul.

cjw
12-27-2020, 10:52 AM
This. Spurs lack of national TV exposures would hurt Keldon. But on the flip side, he has time to even improve without getting scouted much.

I’m sure NBA scouts lack access to tape of local TV broadcasts :lol

And I’m also sure that refs watch only national TV games

jbspurs
12-27-2020, 10:52 AM
Its to early to say how good Keldon is going to be but man I am excited

With his aggressiveness, he will be a star. Once he starts getting those calls, he will be unstoppable.

jbspurs
12-27-2020, 10:54 AM

:lol

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 11:32 AM

exposure and popularity make a huge difference in the NBA. Put Draymond Green in Charlotte and he doesnt sniff an all star team or get to man handle dudes on defense like he did between 2015-2019.

Dennis the Menace
12-27-2020, 09:29 PM
Bump. PATFO gonna need to hire a personal masseuse for all the hammering Keldon takes in the paint

daslicer
12-27-2020, 09:36 PM
exposure and popularity make a huge difference in the NBA. Put Draymond Green in Charlotte and he doesnt sniff an all star team or get to man handle dudes on defense like he did between 2015-2019.

Draymond is playing in China if he gets drafted by the Hornets.

YoungbuckMurray
12-27-2020, 09:47 PM
Don’t know how this guy drives so hard but never gets fouled when there is contact

phxspurfan
12-27-2020, 09:50 PM
Don’t know how this guy drives so hard but never gets fouled when there is contact

rookie treatment, just ask Ben Simmons

Dennis the Menace
12-27-2020, 09:54 PM
rookie treatment, just ask Ben Simmons

Except this is Keldon’s 2nd year. Everybody is going to thump Keldon in the paint knowing they won’t get foul calls.

Thats what I would do if I was an opposing coach. Tell the guys to Hammer/bang against Keldon every time in the paint. Refs have their whistles muted.

Degoat
12-27-2020, 09:56 PM
When you go as hard as Keldon does to the rim, refs usually don’t call fouls. It’s dumb af

Dennis the Menace
12-27-2020, 10:37 PM
So it’s okay for refs to blow the whistle for Harden flails? But it’s not okay to blow the whistle when someone gets mugged going to the rim?

What kind of shit product are they pushing for? It’s not basketball.

phxspurfan
12-28-2020, 03:47 PM
Except this is Keldon’s 2nd year. Everybody is going to thump Keldon in the paint knowing they won’t get foul calls.

Thats what I would do if I was an opposing coach. Tell the guys to Hammer/bang against Keldon every time in the paint. Refs have their whistles muted.

He's a rookie, ask Ben Simmons

Proxy
12-29-2020, 01:19 AM
I texted Pop what you said, he said 'k'

cd021
12-29-2020, 04:20 AM
When you go as hard as Keldon does to the rim, refs usually don’t call fouls. It’s dumb af
Generally, the more you get to the rim the more you tend to draw fouls--at least one would think. He drives hard to the rim but hasn't been getting calls. He legit should've had at least 8 in the Pels game.

I think refs don't generally give younger players that call, though that's difficult to prove.

Dennis the Menace
12-30-2020, 09:38 PM
Thank you, Pop. Looks like Spurs are gonna get dogged this year. No national TV games and shit show officiating.

objective
12-30-2020, 09:42 PM
Pop won't say anything, never has.

When Duncan was getting robbed of DPOYS because other players and coaches worked on the voters in the media, Pop kept his mouth shut.

When Phil Jackson was working the refs in the media in the playoffs and reaping the benefits, Pop kept his mouth shut.

Pop won't say anything and Keldon won't get calls.

John B
12-30-2020, 10:50 PM
Not just for Keldon, but for Lonnie too. Refs are not respecting our guys

phxspurfan
12-30-2020, 11:13 PM
Not just for Keldon, but for Lonnie too. Refs are not respecting our guys

It's pretty obvious, Silver has the league out against us this year. No matter what our guys do or how they play. Not sure why, but someone fucked up in their comms to this guy, bc Spurs are blacklisted af. It's gonna be tough to watch any game against a big name team this year.

Dancelot
12-30-2020, 11:46 PM
Well if pop won’t say shit the nba ref organization has a couple different media pages. Let’s flood thOse pages not just as Spurs fans but as fans of the game sick of a handful of teams/players always getting preferential treatment. But I’m sure these refs are just doing as they’re told from the powers that be.

John B
12-30-2020, 11:51 PM
Their darling LeBron cannot lose consecutive nights in risk of being viewed mortal. It’ll ruin the comparison to Jordan as GOAT.

Mr. Body
12-31-2020, 12:02 AM
Nephew was fucking the Spurs over and Silver did nothing. Spurs didn't even get enough games in the bubble to make it through. Shortchanged. Silver's ending up as bad as his former boss.

daslicer
12-31-2020, 12:34 AM
Their darling LeBron cannot lose consecutive nights in risk of being viewed mortal. It’ll ruin the comparison to Jordan as GOAT.

The one thing that annoys me about Lebron these days is how the refs pretty much allow him to get way with committing offensive fouls when he decides to run through people like a running back. He got away with it tonight when he was allowed to run over Eubanks.

LakerHater
12-31-2020, 04:07 AM
The one thing that annoys me about Lebron these days is how the refs pretty much allow him to get way with committing offensive fouls when he decides to run through people like a running back. He got away with it tonight when he was allowed to run over Eubanks.
carries.
he carries alot (palm under thn ovr ball)

widowmaker
12-31-2020, 08:26 AM
Same old story as usual playing the lakers the refs never give the spurs calls. Nothing new