PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs should seriously consider trading for Harden

DAF86
12-29-2020, 03:44 PM
First off, anyone that doesn't want a top 5 player on the Spurs please have the decency to leave this thread without making a comment and exposing your idiocy, tbh. Thank you very much.

With that out of they way, why do I think the Spurs should try to make a move for Harden?

For the Spurs is easy, you would be getting a top 5 player in the league that would instantly make you a top 4 team in the West. Nothing else is worth saying.

Now, the reason why I think this would actually be possible if PATFO really decided to go for it: The Spurs are one of the few teams in the league with enough expiring contracts and assets to offer Houston one of (if not THE) best returns. PATFO should already be calling the Rockets FO and ask them "what would you want from us on a potential Harden trade?" and start negotiating from there. Not doing so would be front Office malpractice, tbh.

An example of a trade I would like:

-Rockets get: DeRozan, Aldridge and Gay (all expirings) + a 1st round pick.
-Spurs get: Harden, Gordon and Tucker.

I know this is highly unlikely, though. A type of trade the Rockets would be more OK with would be something like:

-Rockets get: DeRozan, Aldridge, Murray/Walker + 2 1st round picks (or something along those lines).
-Spurs get: Harden, Gordon and Tucker.

I would still do that in a heartbeat, tbh.

The Spurs have the pieces to add a top 5 player to it's roster, they need to at least explore the possibility.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 03:48 PM
Spurs don't have the most important piece, a centerpiece young player.

Which team, do you think, would be willing to give up a centerpiece young player to acquire Harden?

Let me guess, you're leaving Davis out of the top 5?

When Davis does anything other than missing the playoffs as a top dog, we can discuss ranking him over Harden, tbh. But, anyways, top 5, top 6, top 7, whatever you want to call it, Harden is one of those few guys that instantly puts you in contention when you have him.

Floyd Pacquiao
12-29-2020, 03:53 PM
What’s keeping harden from walking in free agency for a city with better strip clubs?

Leetonidas
12-29-2020, 03:55 PM
I agree even though I hate his guts and play style but he is undeniably a basketball savant. I just don't think anything we can offer will get it done. DD/LMA/Gay are not enticing trade pieces for an MVP level player and by all reports Houston wants a godfather offer for him. It would likely need to be LMA/DD/White and like 4 future firsts for them to even entertain it imho

daslicer
12-29-2020, 03:55 PM
The problem is the Spurs would only have Harden for 2 more years after this season. They would also not have a team to contend with him so he would bolt immediately once he's an FA.

Leetonidas
12-29-2020, 03:56 PM
Plus, I really don't see Pop wanting to deal with Harden. The franchise wouldn't bend over backwards for Kawhi. I don't think they would for an aging Harden

TD 21
12-29-2020, 03:59 PM
Which team, do you think, would be willing to give up a centerpiece young player to acquire Harden?

When Davis does anything other than missing the playoffs as a top dog, we can discuss ranking him over Harden, tbh. But, anyways, top 5, top 6, top 7, whatever you want to call it, Harden is one of those few guys that instantly puts you in contention when you have him.

I suspect the 76ers ultimately are willing to trade Simmons for him. The Nuggets might follow suit on Porter Jr. Another possibility I could see is a 3 way, where Harden goes to the Raptors, Porter Jr. to the Rockets and Siakam to the Nuggets, with a bunch of other players/picks involved to balance everything.

Loaded conference and ill-fitting, injury prone roster. Davis took a team that missed the playoffs the previous season and made them champions and unlike Scumbag, he did so with a flawed roster.

Chucho
12-29-2020, 03:59 PM
Harden's not a Top 5 Player anymore...

Dejounte
12-29-2020, 04:00 PM
I don't think a team trading their superstar to a division rival has ever been done before in the history of the NBA. Their fans would never forgive them.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 04:00 PM
What’s keeping harden frm walking in free agency for a city with better strip clubs?

Of course you would want some kind of assurance that Harden would sign with you long term but I don't think that would be too hard to do. For as much shit as Harden gets, I really think he just wants to be on a team that gives him a chance to win. He was willing to sign with OKC (and remain a 6th man) if they weren't so cheap, and with the Rockets he's just now acting up after giving them 8 years of MVP level play and being further away from a championship than ever. If Pop talks to Harden, I'm sure he would make him buy in.

cd98
12-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Spurs are not a Harden destination. He doesn't want to play here and he will cause the same problems that he caused in Houston. He'll just act the same way until he gets to a place he wants to go. Plus, Houston wants young assets and draft picks. They aren't going to trade him for our vets. So everything that made our future look brighter will be lost for a team that headlines Demar, LMA, and Harden. Teams will score 200 points against us and Harden will want out and we will lose and probably will have given up at least two first rounders for Harden. He's just not worth what they want for him to go to a place that isn't a contender and isn't a place he wants to be.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 04:05 PM
I suspect the 76ers ultimately are willing to trade Simmons for him. The Nuggets might follow suit on Porter Jr. Another possibility I could see is a 3 way, where Harden goes to the Raptors, Porter Jr. to the Rockets and Siakam to the Nuggets, with a bunch of other players/picks involved to balance everything.

Loaded conference and ill-fitting, injury prone roster. Davis took a team that missed the playoffs the previous season and made them champions and unlike Scumbag, they had a flawed roster.

I don't know how the Nuggets would make a Porter jr/ Harden trade work, tbh. But anyways, if any such deal goes down, then sure the Spurs might be out of it. That doesn't mean they should just sit on their asses doing nothing, tbh. They have the pieces to make a Harden trade work, their obligation is to at least inquire about it.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 04:08 PM
Spurs are not a Harden destination. He doesn't want to play here and he will cause the same problems that he caused in Houston. He'll just act the same way until he gets to a place he wants to go. Plus, Houston wants young assets and draft picks. They aren't going to trade him for our vets. So everything that made our future look brighter will be lost for a team that headlines Demar, LMA, and Harden. Teams will score 200 points against us and Harden will want out and we will lose and probably will have given up at least two first rounders for Harden. He's just not worth what they want for him to go to a place that isn't a contender and isn't a place he wants to be.

You can't make a Harden for young pieces work, you need veterans to make the salaries Match. The Spurs have a platoon of expiring contracts to make such trade work. Not to mention a bunch of interesting young pieces and all of their draft picks.

Obi Juan Kenobi
12-29-2020, 04:08 PM
How are the strip clubs in San Antonio?

Sugus
12-29-2020, 04:09 PM
I don't know how the Nuggets would make a Porter jr/ Harden trade work, tbh. But anyways, if any such deal goes down, then sure the Spurs might be out of it. That doesn't mean they should just sit on their asses doing nothing, tbh. They have the pieces to make a Harden trade work, their obligation is to at least inquire about it.

I agree on this, the Spurs should do their due diligence - though I wouldn't be asking so much about Harden (I don't see it ever going down), but their other pieces. If Rockets ship away Harden, they enter full-rebuild mode, and a vet or two could be had at firesale value for just a pick and matching salary. I haven't looked at their roster too close, but Gordon and Tucker have always been two favorites of mine from the Rockettes.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 04:09 PM
I agree even though I hate his guts and play style but he is undeniably a basketball savant. I just don't think anything we can offer will get it done. DD/LMA/Gay are not enticing trade pieces for an MVP level player and by all reports Houston wants a godfather offer for him. It would likely need to be LMA/DD/White and like 4 future firsts for them to even entertain it imho

Nobody is giving them 4 future 1sts, tbh.

Darius Bieber
12-29-2020, 04:10 PM
What’s keeping harden from walking in free agency for a city with better strip clubs?

All Harden needs is Ojos Locos.

TD 21
12-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Of course you would want some kind of assurance that Harden would sign with you long term but I don't think that would be too hard to do. For as much shit as Harden gets, I really think he just wants to be on a team that gives him a chance to win. He was willing to sign with OKC (and remain a 6th man) if they weren't so cheap, and with the Rockets he's just now acting up after giving them 8 years of MVP level play and being further away from a championship than ever. If Pop talks to Harden, I'm sure he would make him buy in.

:lmao Yeah, that's all it'd take.

Spurs can't surround him with a contender in less than 2 years and the Rockets won't be sacrificing value for financial flexibility in a superstar trade.

Easy. It'd have to include some combination of Harris, Barton, Millsap, Green (unlikely, unless Tucker were coming back), plus ancillary youth/picks.

Spurs don't have the piece.

Dex
12-29-2020, 04:26 PM
How about no?

Leetonidas
12-29-2020, 04:34 PM
Nobody is giving them 4 future 1sts, tbh.

Idk about that tbh. Look what OKC and Milwaukee gave up to get much lesser players in George and Holiday

baseline bum
12-29-2020, 04:36 PM
Spurs would have to give Houston a bunch of picks and pick swaps like Houston gave OKC. Not down for that shit when Harden + nobody isn't getting you a ring.

daslicer
12-29-2020, 04:36 PM
Spurs are just delaying the rebuild process by trading for Harden. Reality is even with Harden this team is not a contender and he would bolt after 2 years thus putting the spurs back into the same spot they are in currently right now. Rebuilding sucks but unfortunately I don't see any shortcuts.

Floyd Pacquiao
12-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Honestly if he came to San Antonio I could see sugars and XTC becoming a hot spot for the baddest strippers in south Texas, with the amount of money he’ll be throwing around you’ll have them all coming from Dallas Ft worth and Austin

DAF86
12-29-2020, 04:37 PM
How about no?

First off, anyone that doesn't want a top 5 player on the Spurs please have the decency to leave this thread without making a comment and exposing your idiocy, tbh. Thank you very much.

Tbh.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 04:39 PM
:lmao Yeah, that's all it'd take.

Spurs can't surround him with a contender in less than 2 years and the Rockets won't be sacrificing value for financial flexibility in a superstar trade.

Easy. It'd have to include some combination of Harris, Barton, Millsap, Green (unlikely, unless Tucker were coming back), plus ancillary youth/picks.

Spurs don't have the piece.

What was the piece when the Spurs traded Kawhi away?

DAF86
12-29-2020, 04:43 PM
Spurs would have to give Houston a bunch of picks and pick swaps like Houston gave OKC. Not down for that shit when Harden + nobody isn't getting you a ring.

Harden +White +Johnson + Vassell +Poeltl + Tucker + Gordon +Mills +Pop

Easily a top 4 team in the West. Not to mention that Harden being here would make SA a much more enticing Free agent destination.

DeRozan m8
12-29-2020, 04:44 PM
Perma ban op, for the love of God.

No one wants to watch this cunt play....fuck you, op

If you like Harden, you don't like basketball, you don't want a ring and you are a disgrace

Mugen
12-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Just isn't in their DNA tbh. I also wouldn't trust this FO to not get absolutely bent over in any trade.

Chinook
12-29-2020, 04:51 PM
But anyway, something like Murray, DeRozan, Johnson, Lyles, three unprotected firsts and two swaps for Harden, Clemons and Tucker is probably the closet thing you'll see. It doesn't seem likely given the rivalry, but from a compensation perspective, it's probably better than the packages floating around right now (at least of the ones that could be done right now).

White, Mills,
Harden, Weatherspoon,
Walker, Vassell
Tucker, Gay
Aldridge, Poeltl

Ignoring that Harden-ball isn't winning ball, it's a very interesting lineup. I'd be very interested to see how it'd do, but I legit wouldn't want them to make this trade.

baseline bum
12-29-2020, 04:52 PM
Harden +White +Johnson + Vassell +Poeltl + Tucker + Gordon +Mills +Pop

Easily a top 4 team in the West. Not to mention that Harden being here would make SA a much more enticing Free agent destination.

And a team I don't think would have a very good chance against the Lakers, Clippers, or even Nuggets. If the Spurs still had Kawhi then yeah I'd trade anything else on the roster including picks and swaps for Harden. Or if they had prime Duncan or even a little past his prime Duncan. But Harden and a bunch of nobodies isn't making you a contender.

Sugus
12-29-2020, 04:53 PM

If you like Harden, you don't like basketball, you don't want a ring and you are a disgrace

Come on, don't be so hard on my guy Daffy. His trade proposals might be a bit out there, but that's no reason for personal insults. I also don't think getting Harden necessarily means not winning a ring, we Spurs just don't have the team to make him a champion.

SpursDynasty85
12-29-2020, 05:09 PM
Character issues, chokes in the playoffs, bad with teammates. Also, Rockets would not accept any of those packages. I'm sure they can get much better than that.

Proxy
12-29-2020, 05:12 PM
Trading an mvp caliber player in conference has always been a likely outcome and there’s plenty of signs Harden would have a great time on the river walk

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-29-2020, 05:22 PM
imagine if demar was the centrepiece of 2 trades for mvps

John B
12-29-2020, 05:31 PM
But anyway, something like Murray, DeRozan, Johnson, Lyles, three unprotected firsts and two swaps for Harden, Clemons and Tucker is probably the closet thing you'll see. It doesn't seem likely given the rivalry, but from a compensation perspective, it's probably better than the packages floating around right now (at least of the ones that could be done right now).

White, Mills,
Harden, Weatherspoon,
Walker, Vassell
Tucker, Gay
Aldridge, Poeltl

Ignoring that Harden-ball isn't winning ball, it's a very interesting lineup. I'd be very interested to see how it'd do, but I legit wouldn't want them to make this trade.

Anything with Aldridge still left after the trade is not good. The guy is just walking Zombie out there waiting to shoot 3's. He reminds me of guys at the local gym (sometime last year), with people just wants to hurl 3's and not play defense.

Also I don't like Harden and what he's done to the game, him and Westbrook. The NBA rewarding these stat-padding players with MVP is a disgrace.

Maybe Harden will go to the Knicks. That's always been the destination for overpaid players

Dex
12-29-2020, 05:34 PM
Tbh.

Let's get this straight...You want the Spurs to shed one of two promising young players in Walker or Murray....PLUS 2 first round picks...plus LMA AND DDR (the main pieces for the trade)...

All for a 1-year rental of Harden (he wouldn't stay in San Antonio) and two broken down players in Tucker and Gordon.

And you seriously think that helps San Antonio in the future? Or is this all for a chance at a one-year playoff run with a bunch of guys who have proven that they can't win in the playoffs?

Oh, and let's not get started about the Spurs culture and what Pop would do with Harden's shitty attitude....

Maybe you should get your head examined and come back with a legitimate trade that takes into consideration the foundation the Spurs have built over the last 30+ years.

cd021
12-29-2020, 05:36 PM
I don't think a team trading their superstar to a division rival has ever been done before in the history of the NBA. Their fans would never forgive them.
Don't get why divisions matter tbh, if you want to say to an interstate rival then sure.

BackHome
12-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Harden is a Bitch

Dejounte
12-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Don't get why divisions matter tbh, if you want to say to an interstate rival then sure.

Yeah, that's what meant to say

Dejounte
12-29-2020, 06:02 PM
https://twitter.com/TheTyJager/status/1344055713128189953?s=19

This would be an AMAZING trade. Draymond for this team fits in like a plug. He's only 30.

Murray/ White/ Tre
Lonnie/ Mills/ Q
DeMar/ Vassell
Keldon/ Draymond
Poetl/ Draymond/ Eubanks

Everyone can switch 1-5 except Poetl

Chinook
12-29-2020, 06:16 PM
I mean Johnson clearly wouldn't start over Green and would probably go in the trade, with a pick maybe coming back to SA.

Dejounte
12-29-2020, 06:19 PM
I mean Johnson clearly wouldn't start over Green and would probably go in the trade, with a pick maybe coming back to SA.

I mean, Green has been out with an indefinite period of time due to an injury and he has an albatross contract that will cause the Warriors an insane amount of tax. They are not getting any value for Green.

phxspurfan
12-29-2020, 06:19 PM
I dont think hes going to fetch a lot from a small market, unless some GM is really high on himself and thinks he can keep Harden after his contract ends.

Chinook
12-29-2020, 06:20 PM
Anything with Aldridge still left after the trade is not good. The guy is just walking Zombie out there waiting to shoot 3's. He reminds me of guys at the local gym (sometime last year), with people just wants to hurl 3's and not play defense.

Also I don't like Harden and what he's done to the game, him and Westbrook. The NBA rewarding these stat-padding players with MVP is a disgrace.

Maybe Harden will go to the Knicks. That's always been the destination for overpaid players

You don't trade away guys who are bad and expect to get guys who are good. You make that trade first and either hope LMA comes around with the help of Harden/White (actually extremely likely), or you move him in a later deal. You have to give Houston things they could use, and DeRozan and Murray and sweetener allow the Rockets to try to compete while they have Wall and Wood locked into deals. Spacing is an issue but

Wall, Murray
Gordon
DeRozan, Johnson
House
Cousins, Wood

and whatever other shit Houston has probably works pretty well. Maybe they'd also want a Gordon/Gay swap, but I'd want to keep a pick or two swaps at least if that happened.

Chinook
12-29-2020, 06:23 PM
I mean, Green has been out with an indefinite injury and has an albatross contract that will cause the Warriors an insane amount of tax. They are not getting any value for Green.

Green's still not coming off the bench for Johnson. While I like Keldon and all, he's not really going to grade higher than Green on the market without putting up a bigger sample size. Maybe the pick GS sends is the Minny pick, which would essentially make it Green for LMA and Johnson for the pick, and that seems like a framing that should work with a lot of fans.

Dejounte
12-29-2020, 06:37 PM
Green's still not coming off the bench for Johnson. While I like Keldon and all, he's not really going to grade higher than Green on the market without putting up a bigger sample size. Maybe the pick GS sends is the Minny pick, which would essentially make it Green for LMA and Johnson for the pick, and that seems like a framing that should work with a lot of fans.

Not debating who starts over who. Merely saying there's no incentive for the Spurs to include one of their most promising players for a pick in the 2021 draft. It's the Warriors who are trying to find a get out of jail free card with Aldridge on their books, not the other way around. Losing Keldon and starting development over with a year 0 prospect sets the Spurs back.

Seventyniner
12-29-2020, 06:48 PM

This would be an AMAZING trade. Draymond for this team fits in like a plug. He's only 30.

Murray/ White/ Tre
Lonnie/ Mills/ Q
DeMar/ Vassell
Keldon/ Draymond
Poetl/ Draymond/ Eubanks

I don't see how you trade for Draymond and not start him. I agree he could play smallball 5 for stretches. But if Lonnie or Keldon is benched for Draymond you get serious spacing issues in the starting lineup. There would be almost no reliable shooting.

What exactly would the trade be? Including Murray helps the Spurs with spacing in the starting lineup (start White in his place) and lessens the salary burden, but that itself becomes a disincentive for the Warriors.

tonight...you
12-29-2020, 06:50 PM
How about shifting Keldon to SF and Derozan to SG?

r0drig0lac
12-29-2020, 06:53 PM
lmao that was good .........but we have exactly 0% chance

relax, it's just beginning, Doncic is next.

Dejounte
12-29-2020, 06:57 PM
I don't see how you trade for Draymond and not start him. I agree he could play smallball 5 for stretches. But if Lonnie or Keldon is benched for Draymond you get serious spacing issues in the starting lineup. There would be almost no reliable shooting.

What exactly would the trade be? Including Murray helps the Spurs with spacing in the starting lineup (start White in his place) and lessens the salary burden, but that itself becomes a disincentive for the Warriors.

Yeah, who starts was more of a minor point to my major point: Draymond fits well on this team.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 06:58 PM

I would much rather watch Harden play than the guy you chose as a username, tbh. Having such a username should be the real cause for permaban. :lol

Also, fuck you too, tbh.

tonight...you
12-29-2020, 07:01 PM
I would much rather watch Harden play than the guy you chose as a username, tbh. Having such a username should be the real cause for permaban. :lol

Also, fuck you too, tbh.
Does this mean you two are fucking each other now?

DAF86
12-29-2020, 07:04 PM
Let's get this straight...You want the Spurs to shed one of two promising young players in Walker or Murray....PLUS 2 first round picks...plus LMA AND DDR (the main pieces for the trade)...

All for a 1-year rental of Harden (he wouldn't stay in San Antonio) and two broken down players in Tucker and Gordon.

And you seriously think that helps San Antonio in the future? Or is this all for a chance at a one-year playoff run with a bunch of guys who have proven that they can't win in the playoffs?

Oh, and let's not get started about the Spurs culture and what Pop would do with Harden's shitty attitude....

Maybe you should get your head examined and come back with a legitimate trade that takes into consideration the foundation the Spurs have built over the last 30+ years.

Murray and Wlaker will be nothing more than middle of the pack role players. You should have realized this by now.

Also, lol at thinking DDR and Aldridge are better than Harden. :lol Harden alone gets you at least 10 more win than the shitty ass duo of DeRozan and Aldridge combined, and whoever belives different doesn't know shit of today's NBA, tbh.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 07:04 PM
Does this mean you two are fucking each other now?

Only virtually, tbh.

cd021
12-29-2020, 07:09 PM

Murray/ White/ Tre
Lonnie/ Mills/ Q
DeMar/ Vassell
Keldon/ Draymond
Poetl/ Draymond/ Eubanks

Why would the Spurs do that deal? They'd have to commit to Draymond for the next three seasons, despite him declining pretty sharply, then they'd probably have to re-sign DeMar considering that they'd be in win-now mode.

Dex
12-29-2020, 07:09 PM
Murray and Wlaker will be nothing more than middle of the pack role players. You should have realized this by now.

Also, lol at think DDR and Aldridge are better than Harden. :lol Harden alone gets you at least 10 more win than the shitty ass duo of DeRozan and Aldridge combined, and whoever belives different doesn't know shit of today's NBA, tbh.

I never said DDR and Aldridge are better than Harden.

I am saying that San Antonio selling out their future for one year of Harden is not good planning.

He is NOT going to stay in San Antonio, so giving up players plus picks for a guy who has never played winning playoff basketball is just plain dumb. He may help get us to the playoffs, just to help us lose in the playoffs.

Also, Harden is an asshole and I hate the way he plays, even if he scores a lot of points. That's a hard pass for me, buddy.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 07:14 PM

I am saying that San Antonio selling out their future for one year of Harden is not good planning.

He is NOT going to stay in San Antonio, so giving up players plus picks for a guy who has never played winning playoff basketball is just plain dumb.

Also, Harden is an asshole and I hate the way he plays, even if he scores a lot of points. That's a hard pass for me, buddy.

You would instantly start to love his game as soon as he gets here and starts putting up 40 pts triple doubles in wins, tbh.

Dex
12-29-2020, 07:17 PM
You would instantly start to love his game as soon as he gets here and starts putting up 40 pts triple doubles in wins, tbh.

Wrong. Don't act like you know me because you have a hard on for Harden.

Harden is the opposite of Spurs basketball, and I've been a Spurs fan longer than James Harden has been alive.

He can take his flopping ass to Philly or Brooklyn or wherever, but I would feel disgraced to see him in a Spurs uniform.

cd021
12-29-2020, 07:21 PM
The problem is the Spurs would only have Harden for 2 more years after this season. They would also not have a team to contend with him so he would bolt immediately once he's an FA.
I think having Harden with two more seasons is actually a positive for the team trading for him. They'd get three post-seasons out of him then they could let him walk in FA instead of extending him to a deal that is going to be shockingly bad.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Wrong. Don't act like you know me because you have a hard on for Harden.

Harden is the opposite of Spurs basketball, and I've been a Spurs fan longer than James Harden has been alive.

He can take his flopping ass to Philly or Brooklyn or wherever, but I would feel disgraced to see him in a Spurs uniform.

I don't like Harden either. I just know he would make us infinitely better and, since I'm a Spurs fan, I want them to be better.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 07:25 PM
I think having Harden with two more seasons is actually a positive for the team trading for him. They'd get three post-seasons out of him then they could let him walk in FA instead of extending him to a deal that is going to be shockingly bad.

Exactly. Also, if it doesn't work out, you can also re-trade him at any point of his contract and still get a pretty damn good return. We would at least get something, unlike what would happen if we let Aldridge and DeRozan go for nothing or, even worse, resign them. :vomit:

tonight...you
12-29-2020, 07:53 PM
Only virtually, tbh.
Lol. Awesome.

tonight...you
12-29-2020, 08:11 PM

He is NOT going to stay in San Antonio, so giving up players plus picks for a guy who has never played winning playoff basketball is just plain dumb. He may help get us to the playoffs, just to help us lose in the playoffs.

I think he has 2 years and then a player option on his contract so I don't believe it would be a 1 year rental.
Not that I would want to trade for the guy.

John B
12-29-2020, 08:15 PM
Why would the Spurs do that deal? They'd have to commit to Draymond for the next three seasons, despite him declining pretty sharply, then they'd probably have to re-sign DeMar considering that they'd be in win-now mode.
LMA is now a walking stretch big without defense. I’d rather have Draymond.
White, Demar, Keldon, Draymond, Poeltl
Murray, Lonnie, Vassell, Gay, Lyles
Quindarry, Mills, Diop, Luka, Eubanks

Or Draymond at C on small ball, and White/Murray at frontcourt.

That team will compete hard.

ginobilized
12-29-2020, 08:45 PM
I see Harden going to Brooklyn ultimately. The Dinwiddie injury makes it even more likely.
Hard to see the Spurs wanting him enough to abandon their current youth movement.

LMA for Draymond is intriguing, though.

The Truth #6
12-29-2020, 09:45 PM
I hate Harden. It’s hard for me to get past that point.

TD 21
12-29-2020, 10:57 PM
What was the piece when the Spurs traded Kawhi away?

Scumbag had a year left on his contract which when combined with his not releasing his medical information and him being an odd personality, created a mysterious situation and ultimately scared would be suitors off.

DeRozan, as a bonafide pseudo star, is an easy sell to casuals, who comprise the majority of every fanbase.

Blackhaus
12-29-2020, 11:00 PM
I rather stay put or tank than to take on that dribble dribble dribble chucker. I’d quit watching Spurs game if Harden is brought on. The thought of watching that flailing foul con artist in silver and black makes me wanna puke tbh.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 11:07 PM
DeRozan, as a bonafide pseudo star, is an easy sell to casuals, who comprise the majority of every fanbase.

A fanbase like the Rockets for example? :lol

TD 21
12-29-2020, 11:29 PM
A fanbase like the Rockets for example? :lol

Sure. Unfortunately, their organization isn't concerned with ancillary nonsense and will prioritize a young star or player with star potential.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 11:38 PM
Sure. Unfortunately, their organization isn't concerned with ancillary nonsense and will prioritize a young star or player with star potential.

How do we know for sure? They have a brand new General Manager. People aren't getting the point of this thread. The Spurs need to do their due dilligence, pick the phone up and inquire about Harden. If the Rockets then get the second coming of Jesus and a trillion 1st round picks, then so be it, but PATFO need to do their job, tbh.

DeRozan m8
12-29-2020, 11:41 PM

Also, fuck you too, tbh.

Okay, so you don't know anything about basketball, cool

Thinking Harden is a good idea...how embarrassing

Ps. I'm not even a demar fan...just swapped it out when Kawhi left.

DAF86
12-29-2020, 11:52 PM
Okay, so you don't know anything about basketball, cool

Thinking Harden is a good idea...how embarrassing

Ps. I'm not even a demar fan...just swapped it out when Kawhi left.

The guy with a DeRozan username telling others they don't know anything about basketball. :lol

cd021
12-30-2020, 02:24 AM
LMA is now a walking stretch big without defense. I’d rather have Draymond.
White, Demar, Keldon, Draymond, Poeltl
Murray, Lonnie, Vassell, Gay, Lyles
Quindarry, Mills, Diop, Luka, Eubanks

Or Draymond at C on small ball, and White/Murray at frontcourt.

That team will compete hard.
Or the Spurs could just move their four vets for future assets and then build a younger and more substainable team going forward.

Also comes with the added benefit of seeing teams like the Lakers and Clippers decline as their stars age while our team hopefully assends.

spurs10
12-30-2020, 02:50 AM
Harden isn't coming here and I don't think it's because he and Pop don't get along. He wants a ring and we didn't make the playoffs last year.

Rummpd
12-30-2020, 05:43 AM
Tbh.

FAIL stay away from this NBA loser and life loser. Cancer.

MaNu4Tres
12-30-2020, 05:59 AM
This isn't it.

MaNu4Tres
12-30-2020, 08:52 AM
Giving up a laundry list of your best assets for a top 5 player in the NBA that is past 32 years old ( meaning he has a short shelf life) is pretty stupid. Add on the fact that this player has commitment issues and has a strong sense of entitlement? Screw this thought.

He doesn't guarantee a championship or the 2nd round of the playoffs. Giving up your best assets for the future for maybe 2 or 3 more peak prime years at best where he guarantees you nothing but a playoff spot is something only short-sighted fans would consider.

The number 1 priority for the Spurs right now is to try to get as much value via trade for the vets that won't be here past this year, while giving Dejounte, Lonnie, Derrick, Keldon, and Devin all the opportunities they can get.

John B
12-30-2020, 09:46 AM
Or the Spurs could just move their four vets for future assets and then build a younger and more substainable team going forward.

Also comes with the added benefit of seeing teams like the Lakers and Clippers decline as their stars age while our team hopefully assends.
I don’t know if the Spurs will ever do a total rebuild. It has only missed the playoffs 5 times ever? That in itself is a major accomplishment. And how many teams have been mediocre for years or even decades? I just can’t see small market San Antonio keeping the franchise that route. That or the organization is too proud to face mediocrity that long.

cd98
12-30-2020, 10:25 AM
Getting Harden would be the sequel to Kawhi episode, but without the championship.

exstatic
12-30-2020, 11:28 AM
I don’t know if the Spurs will ever do a total rebuild. It has only missed the playoffs 5 times ever? That in itself is a major accomplishment. And how many teams have been mediocre for years or even decades? I just can’t see small market San Antonio keeping the franchise that route. That or the organization is too proud to face mediocrity that long.

The reality is, there are no guarantees, even at the top of the draft. Ask Philly. They were in hell for FIVE years, and never even got to the Finals with all of their picks. Danny Ainge had a bounty of high picks, same situation.

Now that they’ve flattened the lottery odds, and draw the four top picks, your odds of even getting a high pick for tanking have dropped significantly. In the two drafts since the change, 5 teams have jumped into the collective 8 Top 4 pick spots, knocking out a corresponding number of bad/tanking teams.

baseline bum
12-30-2020, 11:33 AM
I don't like Harden either. I just know he would make us infinitely better and, since I'm a Spurs fan, I want them to be better.

Meh he'd make the Spurs a low-end playoff team without having a second star. And the Spurs have nothing close to 2018 Chris Paul which pushed those Rockets over the hump from being a playoff team to a legit contender. If the Spurs had anything like 2018 CP3 of course I'd mortgage the future for a couple of seasons of title contention, but I wouldn't do it for two middling playoff years and then Harden walks.

TD 21
12-30-2020, 11:52 AM
How do we know for sure? They have a brand new General Manager. People aren't getting the point of this thread. The Spurs need to do their due dilligence, pick the phone up and inquire about Harden. If the Rockets then get the second coming of Jesus and a trillion 1st round picks, then so be it, but PATFO need to do their job, tbh.

Because it should be the primary universal goal when trading a superstar and it's been repeatedly confirmed by the top insiders.

I got it and it's obvious, I'm just saying they don't have the piece to get in the game and on top of it, it doesn't help to be in state/conference.

Dverde
12-30-2020, 12:07 PM
I don’t think Harden would fit on the Spurs. No way this is happening

John B
12-30-2020, 12:11 PM
The reality is, there are no guarantees, even at the top of the draft. Ask Philly. They were in hell for FIVE years, and never even got to the Finals with all of their picks. Danny Ainge had a bounty of high picks, same situation.

Now that they’ve flattened the lottery odds, and draw the four top picks, your odds of even getting a high pick for tanking have dropped significantly. In the two drafts since the change, 5 teams have jumped into the collective 8 Top 4 pick spots, knocking out a corresponding number of bad/tanking teams.
Unpopular to a lot of people here, I think the Spurs have done a great transition job from the debacle of Kawhi. Last years Beli/Bryn experiment was over. The Spurs have replaced the "old" roster with young athletic cores and waiting on four expiring contracts. I think they will roll with what we have, and see what the FA brings next summer. So any trade for Harden is not happening, imo.

R. DeMurre
12-30-2020, 12:21 PM
A little aside, for anyone who calls Harden, or Paul George, or anyone else a playoff choker: unless you love the color red and the minus sign, don't look at Demar DeRozan's career playoff on court or on-off court per 100 possessions numbers...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/derozde01.html

SpursDynasty85
12-30-2020, 12:46 PM
A little aside, for anyone who calls Harden, or Paul George, or anyone else a playoff choker: unless you love the color red and the minus sign, don't look at Demar DeRozan's career playoff on court or on-off court per 100 possessions numbers...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/derozde01.html

At least he is someone that helps maintain a good team atmosphere and looks after the rookies for the most part. No doubt he should not be the #1. Can he be a #3? probably. It's silly to suggest he isn't a good player at all though.

rjv
12-30-2020, 12:49 PM
harden has no interest in Sugars or XTC Cabaret

R. DeMurre
12-30-2020, 12:50 PM
At least he is someone that helps maintain a good team atmosphere and looks after the rookies for the most part. No doubt he should not be the #1. Can he be a #3? probably. It's silly to suggest he isn't a good player at all though.

I didn't say that. But he's less good than Harden or PG, and people are quick to label those guys.

Dverde
12-30-2020, 01:06 PM
harden has no interest in Sugars or XTC Cabaret

If they strip, he will come. Field of Creams reference.

DAF86
12-30-2020, 01:47 PM
Meh he'd make the Spurs a low-end playoff team without having a second star. And the Spurs have nothing close to 2018 Chris Paul which pushed those Rockets over the hump from being a playoff team to a legit contender. If the Spurs had anything like 2018 CP3 of course I'd mortgage the future for a couple of seasons of title contention, but I wouldn't do it for two middling playoff years and then Harden walks.

I might be overrating our young guys and Pop's coaching, but I think Harden would do very well here. 2nd round minimum.

Also, you have 3 playoffs runs with Harden under contract, by the second or third one You can atract a couple of difference making free agents, tbh.

DAF86
12-30-2020, 01:51 PM
FAIL stay away from this NBA loser and life loser. Cancer.

Dude, we have DeRozan and Aldridge on our team. :lol

koriwhat
12-30-2020, 02:03 PM

Lmao :tu

baseline bum
12-30-2020, 02:05 PM
I might be overrating our young guys and Pop's coaching, but I think Harden would do very well here. 2nd round minimum.

Also, you have 3 playoffs runs with Harden under contract, by the second or third one You can atract a couple of difference making free agents, tbh.

Two, as he has a player option on year 3.

DAF86
12-30-2020, 03:56 PM
Two, as he has a player option on year 3.

Well, more than enough time for Pop to make a team with a top 5 player a championship contender.

cd021
12-30-2020, 04:00 PM

I don't think they'd bottom out completely by moving on from the four vets and playing next season and the season after with their young core.

They can continue to improve as their young players improve while potentially eventually adding a star player in the draft.

I think that is the better route.

cd021
12-30-2020, 04:05 PM
Unpopular to a lot of people here, I think the Spurs have done a great transition job from the debacle of Kawhi. Last years Beli/Bryn experiment was over. The Spurs have replaced the "old" roster with young athletic cores and waiting on four expiring contracts. I think they will roll with what we have, and see what the FA brings next summer. So any trade for Harden is not happening, imo.

I think the young core has some promise but they botched the Kawhi trade. Then they completely undervalued Bertans and then traded him for a player who hardly played and then waived and are still paying.

They also seemed to have waited too long to trade thei vets for assets. The Luka pick also seems likely to be a bad one. They've done okay but they certainly could've done better.

John B
12-30-2020, 04:30 PM
I think the young core has some promise but they botched the Kawhi trade. Then they completely undervalued Bertans and then traded him for a player who hardly played and then waived and are still paying.

They also seemed to have waited too long to trade thei vets for assets. The Luka pick also seems likely to be a bad one. They've done okay but they certainly could've done better.
Yes they could’ve done better. I’ve haven’t given up on Luka. He is very skilled and should have better luck than Metu. Bertans was Morris/Knicks. We missed last year but fielded Vassell who fits our need perfectly. Last year we might get Collins or similar. I think we’re in great shape.

CGD
12-30-2020, 04:42 PM

Agree with all this. Draymond would be a terrible pick up.

CGD
12-30-2020, 04:47 PM
Harden is a top 5 points getter, but a career loser. If the goal is get into playoffs again, I think Spurs are close to that on their own. And, at least then, we wouldn’t have to endure the choke job.

Hard pass

Allan Rowe vs Wade
12-30-2020, 05:09 PM
id take him but we'd still suck

heyheymymy
12-30-2020, 05:34 PM
Didn't read thread - NO THANKS OP

cd021
12-30-2020, 07:34 PM
Yes they could’ve done better. I’ve haven’t given up on Luka. He is very skilled and should have better luck than Metu. Bertans was Morris/Knicks. We missed last year but fielded Vassell who fits our need perfectly. Last year we might get Collins or similar. I think we’re in great shape.

I think the pandemic might've set Luka's development back. No summer league and no 50 game G-League season. Instead he'll only have about 12 games in the G-League bubble to get significant playing time this season. He was probably always going to be a two year project before he could even be a rotation player, no its probably closer to 3. The Spurs might just throw him into the fire next season and see what's up but its a coin toss as to whether he'll actually pan out.

Vassell was a great pick, tbh and having a lot of cap space is better than not having a lot of cap space for a rebuilding team. Even if they strike out on a FA like Collins, they could go the OKC route and use their cap space to take on bad deals in exchange for pick. Still, a lot of the post Kawhi grade rests on Luka, Lonnie, Keldon, and even Poeltl.