PDA

View Full Version : First order of bidness...

Archie
07-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Secure PJ Brown. If you want to term this offseason a failure you can only do so if the Spurs end up giving Olowokandi $50 million guaranteed or whatever. PJ Brown is a nice fit for this team in the near term (next 3 seasons).

The second order of bidness is to start looking at who needs cap room around the league. If the Spurs play their cards right they can get some young talent on rookie contracts in return for trading some of their cap room.

Third, take a deep breath. The Spurs took a really good shot at acquiring a franchise player and almost pulled it off. That's not an easy thing to do. Look at Orlando in 2000.

scott
07-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Does that mean you don't advocate going after Elton Brand?

We don't have room both Brand and Brown on this team.

Sure we run the risk of losing out on Brown and not getting Brand, but PJ Brown is not worth passing on the chance to get Brand, IMO.

F7
07-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Does that mean you don't advocate going after Elton Brand?

I'm all for holding the capspace this year and going after Brand next season... of course.. that would entail another year of bitching about the Holt-ing pattern but for a guy like Brand it'd definitely be worth the wait.

As far as trying to get Brand this offseason.. the Spurs can try but I don't see Sterling letting him go.

Archie
07-11-2003, 12:21 PM
You can lose PJ that way and then have Tyrone Hill starting by fooling around with Sterling.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2003, 12:25 PM
preservation of capspace is only an option if you plan to let jax and speedy walk, which at this point i do NOT want one bit.

Archie
07-11-2003, 12:28 PM
Indeed, Manny. The key now is using your cap space to load up on young talent after getting a solid starting big.

PJ Brown isn't a star but he would be an extremely nice fit for this team. >50% FG and >80% FT. 10 points and 10 boards a game. Very efficient player.

bigzak25
07-11-2003, 12:36 PM
As long as PJ don't get too big eyed at the capspace available, sign him up. He is the best fit for what is available.

I too would like to take a shot at Elton, but the Spurs can talk to him and his agent and see what the interest is.

But If I've learned anything this offseason, it's that you can't count on big name talent coming to san antonio.

Alot of teams will be willing to give Elton max money if he's free next year and he will take the best opportunity. Frankly, i'd choose beach front locations too if I was rich and not a San Antonio native.

Shaq H8ter
07-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Yeah get PJ Brown.
The only player better than him is Brand and Brand just isn't happening.

I say do house keeping.
Secure Jackson and Secure Manu now while he's still Cheap
Re-Sign Speedy with in reason

Then look at some more small forwards and see if there are any deals to be had.

I can't wait to see the new improved Manu to play again and I'm curious to see if Bateer has become a 290 lb bad A$$.

picnroll
07-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Don't have time to screw around. With all these teams with cap space slopping around, teams looking to get cap space/luxury tax relief are going to use Denver/Utah/Miami/SA to bid each other down in the talent they're trying to get. Got to move. Making offers to RFAs and waiting two weeks could nail you to the wall.

ducks
07-11-2003, 12:46 PM
You can not extend manu's contract now

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 12:48 PM
:vomit

Yeah, let's pass on making a play at Brand, because we got up to $13 million to entice PJ "Freakin'" Brown first.

What is it with failed Spurs summers and free agents named 'Brown'?

I must've mistaken some of you for actually having testicals.

:cooldevil

MadeFromDust
07-11-2003, 12:52 PM
OK, so what was New Orleans offering PJ Brown again? 8 mil? Offer him 9 mil and he'll probably pack his bags tonight. From the comments I heard from him, it sounds like he really wants to play next to Tim and likes San antonio. Take advantage of it.

spursfaninla
07-11-2003, 12:53 PM
sterling has to play somebody to get to the minimum, and brand is the one guy he is sure to max in order to get there.

He just is not coming.

I wish he was, he was my first choice.

But enough of the wet dreams, ghost, and move on.

Archie
07-11-2003, 12:54 PM
Ghost, they've made a play on Brand already. Get up to speed.

picnroll
07-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Ghost I'll give you a 100% guarantee that Spurs mangement has approached Brand and asked if he'd accept a max offer, so they can plan accordingly. If Utah offers him a max offer it's because he's said he'd take it and run the risk and they have $20 million and can use $10 on Miller and let $10 sit threre with Brand and if they don't get him add it to the spcae they get next year form Collins and Ostertag going off the books and make a run at Garnett or whoever. Maybe Brand told Utah he'll sign a deal with them and not us. Regardless Spurs probably have a good handle on the Brand situation and you're groping in the dark.

In the meantime Kidd jerked us around, options are off the board and the clocks ticking.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 12:59 PM
They asked for a S&T. They need to convince him to sign an offer sheet.

Go ahead and settle for Brown, Mr. NO LIMIT.

Man, this summer is worth the wait. Thanks for all the assurances of a star. You were right all along when I was asking you to keep an open mind about lesser free agents.

Archie
07-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Whatever motherfucker. The Spurs have assessed the situation already. They know the answer. Expect them to sign PJ Brown next week. Beyond that they will look at other trades.

baseline bum
07-11-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm not at all interested in signing PJ Brown without landing a star too. Sign Brand to that max offer sheet, if Sterling matches then you sign Odom. If Sterling matches Odom you sign Olowokandi. Even if he doesn't sign Odom you still have money for Olowokandi and you sign him.

**** - this offseason is a complete bust and there's no way around it. Duncan doesn't get his second star and the Spurs don't get a decent upgrade so they can hang with LA next year... and I lose on the free agency prediction thread because I had Kidd to SA all the way. Looks like Ghost will prob win it. It looks like our man is Olowokandi.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Brown @ 8, Speedy @ 5, SJax @ 2.5

theres our cap money...

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 01:06 PM
I take no pleasure in being right at Archie's expense for the seventh summer in a row, BB.

In fact, I am still pulling for Brand while he's settling for Brown.

Disgusting.

Archie
07-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Sign PJ and look for trades. NY may just be a good team to deal with.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 01:08 PM
:vomit

Sign PJ and make some trades with NY. That seems like stuff we could've done for the past two years, doesn't it?

Archie
07-11-2003, 01:10 PM
You told us the Spurs weren't doing what it took to win a championship.

Be gone.

baseline bum
07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
**** PJ - I'd much rather have Olowoakndi if that's it for real additions to this team.

Speedy at the MCX is nuts, and there's no way I'd pay it. If he demands that kind of money I let him walk and don't think twice.

ducks
07-11-2003, 01:25 PM
what would travis best take to secure his services? if we lose speedy

KoriEllis
07-11-2003, 01:26 PM
**** PJ - I'd much rather have Olowoakndi if that's it for real additions to this team.

This is a good question to ponder. I can't figure out if Kandi sucks because the only places he's played basketball are the fundamental basketball meccas of University of the Pacific and Clipperville, or if he just sucks?

genghisrex
07-11-2003, 01:30 PM
The second order of bidness is to start looking at who needs cap room around the league. If the Spurs play their cards right they can get some young talent on rookie contracts in return for trading some of their cap room.I wonder what Milwaukee would give us if we took Kukoc's $9.6 million off their hands. Toni's on an ending contract so it wouldn't handicap us long term, and the Bucks need to be sure to get under the tax because their team's really going to suck next year. We're probably better off just using our cap space this year, but we could do a lot worse than having Kukoc for a year, saving some space for next year, and getting something else of value (Redd? Mason? Haislip? a #1 pick?).

Archie
07-11-2003, 01:30 PM
I take no pleasure in being right at Archie's expense for the seventh summer in a row, BB.

You are fucking delusional. You take every position under the sun and then claim with your magical 20/20 hindsight that you knew it all along.

You complain about things that the day before you said you wanted. You praise other teams for strategies that you condemn the Spurs for seeking. You are an imbecile and no one believes a word you say. You've yet to demonstrate any knowledge of the cap whatsoever. I've yet to see you contribute anything of real value to the discussion in this forum or in the old one. You are a disgrace to your people. Be gone.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2003, 01:32 PM
ghost...you're one of themore solid posters here.

However, if you're right, its only because you flip back and forth more than even I do..lol, and thats ALOT.

ChumpDumper
07-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Kandi can board and block and stay in a game against Shaq.

What more do you you need in a center?

IMO, he'd be much less apt to take his bad shots because he wouldn't be playing for himself anymore, which he admitted doing.

Truthsayer
07-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Spurs brass has already been in touch with Brand's agent and the Clippers. If it would be worthwhile to extend an offer, I'm sure they will and we'll hear about it by July 16th. If it wouldn't be worthwhile, they won't.

It has nothing to do with balls Casper. It has to do with making intelligent choices. By the way its testicles, not testicals.

Temple Of The Dog
07-11-2003, 01:44 PM
pj brown sounded like a good to nice option when kidd was in the mix... but pj brown for 7 or 8 million... over how many years... **** that noise. i'd look for a better deal... either through a trade (maybe even speedy can get into the act) or by offering a guy like brad miller or kandi a contract they can't refuse etc.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Get a f'n grip, Archie.

You have always blasted me for not thinking the big stars were coming in 2003. I look at all options, while you stick to a narrowly myopic view, and then when things come to pass, you pretend like it was all a part of your master plan.

I don't need to be right or feel vindicated.

So many things have changed over the past two years, we'd all be fools not to respond to the breaking developments.

I don't fault you, even if you change your opinions and hav eno tolerance for others' ideas. So get off my back, b1tch.

:cooldevil :cooldevil

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-11-2003, 01:47 PM
again...where is the cap money coming from to do these deals/trades?

PJ already has an offer from NO for 8 million...Spurs would need to at least match it...and don't tell me about players in their prime playing for less to be a winner...we couldn't even get guys to accept MAX contracts to play for us...

Kandi will get AT LEAST 8 million from Utah, Denver, or Miami...

soooo...David Robinsons replacement is gonna cost us at least 8 million.

Spurs waived Speedy's option last year for cap space and it just backfired on us...there is a shortage of starting quality pointguards in the league and Speedy WILL get offers for MLE type of money...plus the promise to start, so that he won't be a lock to return...any comparable talent will get bid up to that same level too...

sooooo... Our backup point guard is gonna cost us 4.5 to 5 million...

and SJax will get offers too...SJax or someone else comparable to replace him will cost about 2.5 million...

that all adds up to 15.5 million...

where is this cap space you guys are talking about "dealing" with???

Archie
07-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Ghost,

You've offered nothing but years of unintelligible bitching. This forum is great not because of you but in spite of you.

Truthsayer
07-11-2003, 01:49 PM
By all accounts Brad Miller is staying in Indy. 'Kandi is worth a look but I think he is more likely to either stay in LA or head to Miami or Denver. I'm sure Pop/RC have been keeping in touch with their agents for some time now.

Jimcs50
07-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Ghost you and Archie were wrong. I will be proved right when TP becomes a star player for the Spurs and the NBA. We will repeat despite LA trying to buy a championship. Give us PJ or Kandi and I will take my chances. If LA does win, nobody can say anything bad about SA, because they will be underdogs.

Archie
07-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Spurs need more than that, Jim.

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 01:53 PM
For the third time, I challenge you to quote me where I am complaining. Archie.

Having a realistic view that doesn't fit into your annual summer fantasy does not equate to complaining, b1tch.

GrandeDavid
07-11-2003, 01:55 PM
PJ can give anything that David gave on the floor last season on a consistent basis, if not more. Sure, you cannot replace the priceless intangibles of having a hall-of-fame class-act like David Robinson in the locker room and on the floor, but on the other hand, I've never known P.J. Brown to slap his wife around and get surly with the press.

Sign him.

baseline bum
If you can't get a great player you fill a need, and center is the Spurs main need. Olowokandi is much better equipped to play the 5 in the West than Brown is, and he has more years left. I thikn we'll have to get in a bidding war with the Nuggets and Jizz to get him, but Kandi's about as good as the team's getting now.

Archie
Your "realism" = everything sucks 24/7. A fucking monkey can come up with that take.

Temple Of The Dog
07-11-2003, 01:56 PM
CC... yeah speedy is gone... and they let go of a good young prospect like GG for that asswipe kidd too. pj brown and a bag of chips is what we'll end up with... if we want to sign manu next year. i know brad miller is expected to stay in indy... but wouldn't it be nice for one fucking free agent to come over and not say that he's going to resign with some crappy ass team because "he's commited to winning"?

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 01:58 PM
I am not complaining, Archie. I am disagreeing with you.

Learn to live with that.

PJ Brown and some trades. Not a bad result of two years of cap clearing.

Jimcs50
07-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Ghost, what you fail to realize is that we cleared cap room, but we won the fucking championship at the same time. We do not need to bring in allstars to win. We have a bonus championship that nobody expected a year ago. The rest is gravy. I do not have to win the championship every year to be satisfied, I just want a very good team to watch and root for, one that has a chance to win it all. I feel that if we shore up our frontline, we will have a great chance to repeat. We still have the best player in bball in Duncan, we have the most exciting young duo in Manu and TP to watch, we have a nice 2 guard, a great 3 defender, a Mr Hustle 4 and a great coach, things are looking great from this perspective. Why don't you go take some Prozac and enjoy life for awhile.

Temple Of The Dog
07-11-2003, 02:22 PM
i saw somewhere that roy tarpley was thinking about making a comeback... maybe we can offer him 8 million to go knock the crap out of kidd for not signing?

he has no trade value... he wouldn't play cause he'd be in jail... and he's 454 years old... but it would be a great story. (a tear-jerker for espn)

i say find a big who can play more than 25 mins, find a backup point guard or resign speedy, and go after a good small forward (maybe let jax go) sign vet mins. hope that manu can start and shine next year, that maliks body holds up under the pounding, and that tim plays pissed off...

call it an offseason, cause with all the egg on our face... the last thing we need is a guy like kandi turning us down because he wants to bask in the limelight of denver...

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 03:19 PM
Get serious, Jimmy. The Lakers just added two Hall of Famers.

The bar has been set higher.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-11-2003, 03:27 PM
**** it...

this is a one year deal for the Lakers...

let the old codgers get their fucking rings this year and move on and let the Spurs concentrate on making moves to win next year...

I would be really dissappointed about this summer if we hadn't just won the championship...

Archie
07-11-2003, 03:34 PM
True CC. No need to change your long term focus because of short term moves by a rival.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-11-2003, 03:48 PM
have Pop tell Tim to take the year off...

I feel another lucky ping pong ball coming up...:lol

picnroll
07-11-2003, 03:57 PM
This may be the Lakers last gasp. Malone and Payton are a one year deal. It'll add to their glory if they come to LA, win a championship, and the next year without them the Lakers collapse. There'll be no question how the Lakers won it. It won't be a legacy of riding Kobe and Shaq's coattails. What's worse Kobe might be sitting there in FA, seeing no Payton or Malone and an aging Shaq and decide the Grizzlies or Miami or somewhere looks pretty good. Lakers are unlikely to get more FAs to come and work for chump change. Our frustation now may be dwarf by the Lakers angst next summer.

Whatever moves the Spurs make now should be made in the context of the new era of the NBA. It shouldn't be made with the idea of "who do we get to stop Shaq". LA is likely not to be the bogey. It should be made with who do we get to contend with the next generation teams, the Suns, the Pistons, maybe the Bulls, teams that you don't require stopping a 400 lb gorilla in middle.

El Harbinger
07-11-2003, 04:19 PM
At this point I want Kandi.

He will cost about the same as PJ more likely...and has a hell of a lot more potential.

I honestly feel that if he were to play with a team like SA...being pushed and encouraged the way our coaches and players do...that he could live up to his potential.

And Kandi has a lot of potential.

Hes good on D.. can block. And can get points too if necessary. Plus hes young.

Lets get him into the spurs system and move on (Unless the spurs can work out some way to get Brand this year...I dont want to wait till next year just to lose him then like we did Kidd)

Ghost Writer
07-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Do you guys think we should really forsake the next season or two for the future?

What if Malone or Payton go down?

These are the best years of Duncan's career right now.

Man, there's no easy answers.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-11-2003, 06:01 PM
naaa....I was kidding

sign Kandi and work his ass off...

try to resign Speedy

resign SJax, Ferry, Kerr...

call it a summer....we will still have a good young championship caliber nucleus...

timvp
07-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Sign Kandi. Go after an Arenas or Odom.

Pray.