PDA

View Full Version : The Official Gregg Popovich Retirement Thread

Mugen
01-03-2021, 09:25 PM
Just wanted to get this bad boy ready for when that glorious day finally arrives.

:toast :pop:

Robz4000
01-03-2021, 09:27 PM
Hopefully he quits before the trade deadline tbh.

Mugen
01-03-2021, 09:30 PM

That's wishful thinking. I think there's a chance they can nudge him out after the Olympics...

Spurs badly needed a Deron Williams these several years, unfortunately he ended up going to the Clippers and the old man stayed.

Prime BEEF
01-03-2021, 09:30 PM
Won’t happen but that would be huge for the franchise

spurs1990
01-03-2021, 09:31 PM
It's time. 23 years is a good run and nothing can take away from his resume.

Now, is it Becky Hammon, Will Hardy, or do you recruit an established coach like Synder, Monty Williams?

timtonymanu
01-03-2021, 09:31 PM
All time HoF coach but the Spurs might as well be coached by Vinny del negro these days

Mugen
01-03-2021, 09:34 PM

Now, is it Becky Hammon, Will Hardy, or do you recruit an established coach like Synder, Monty Williams?

I mean it's definitely gonna be Becky tbh...

I don't really care, I'd take Aunt Becky from Full House over the current Spurs coach :lol

r0drig0lac
01-03-2021, 09:40 PM
Should have retired the day Leonard asked for an trade.

NASpurs
01-03-2021, 09:42 PM
Pop seems like one of those types of dudes who thinks if he stopped working and retired at his age, he would die like three years later.

John B
01-03-2021, 09:49 PM
The Spurs are exciting to watch again, and only after 2 years since losing a franchise player?? Waiting on 4 expiring contracts that could yield us maybe a Collins or other 20/10 player to complete the team. I think Pop and the FO have done a great job imo

murpjf88
01-03-2021, 09:54 PM
All time HoF coach but the Spurs might as well be coached by Vinny del negro these days
HoF motivational speaker but an average head coach surrounded by all-time great players.

phxspurfan
01-03-2021, 09:55 PM

gimme dat Becky

Dverde
01-03-2021, 09:57 PM
He would be coaching four more years if Trump won.

Robz4000
01-03-2021, 09:59 PM
That's wishful thinking. I think there's a chance they can nudge him out after the Olympics...

Spurs badly needed a Deron Williams these several years, unfortunately he ended up going to the Clippers and the old man stayed.

Won’t happen but that would be huge for the franchise

Was mostly being snarky but I have to wonder if the team should likely find itself at the bottom of the West if Pop, already with one eye on the Olympics, decides to bow out to put his attention fully on winning that gold medal.

Sugus
01-03-2021, 10:53 PM
The Spurs are exciting to watch again, and only after 2 years since losing a franchise player?? Waiting on 4 expiring contracts that could yield us maybe a Collins or other 20/10 player to complete the team. I think Pop and the FO have done a great job imo

Agreed, but it's also time for Pop to go. Both things aren't in conflict with each other.

RC_Drunkford
01-04-2021, 12:10 AM
should've retired after the 2019 season when Messina and Udoka left. Defense has fallen off a cliff ever since.

Dirks_Finale
01-04-2021, 12:16 AM

This thread is not going to age well :lol

tmtcsc
01-04-2021, 12:35 AM

You get a real coach & GM.

Dennis the Menace
01-04-2021, 12:55 AM
We want the Becky

daslicer
01-04-2021, 01:32 AM
Was mostly being snarky but I have to wonder if the team should likely find itself at the bottom of the West if Pop, already with one eye on the Olympics, decides to bow out to put his attention fully on winning that gold medal.

Covid is still going to be around for pretty much all of 2021. The earliest things can get back to normal if the vaccine is rolled out appropriately is around November. Only reason I bring it up is that most of these top players are not going to want to go to Tokyo due to Covid the restrictions they would have to deal with while being down there. Playing in Tokyo is going to be playing in a bubble like environment again. Pop is going to get a bunch of second rate guys so the odds of him winning the gold is pretty low. I think he will have a hard time accepting this since getting the gold medal is the last thing he has to look forward to basketball wise.

daslicer
01-04-2021, 01:38 AM
Pop seems like one of those types of dudes who thinks if he stopped working and retired at his age, he would die like three years later.

I think he actually would die pretty soon if he stopped working. Prior to his wife dying Pop had been married for 40 plus years. I have noticed when people are married for that long when one dies the other one will follow shortly and also die within a few years. Basketball is really the only thing keeping Pop going. It's why I think he's going to coach until he dies.

tapiefan
01-04-2021, 05:56 AM
Retirement please. Quick. Quicker.

I guess he wants to coach till the Olympics...

Rummpd
01-04-2021, 07:19 AM

FAIL this FO has been a farce and should have traded some Veterans a year ago. Coach is acting disengaged. A disaster it is rather than a great job.

Atl Spur
01-04-2021, 07:19 AM
Some real attention whores on this board:) You have the coach organizations want but yet you bitch because he doesn’t move the way you like??? I see dead people...oh, I mean CLOWNS!! Go paint your face....

Rummpd
01-04-2021, 07:21 AM
The new team should put him in the administration as special advisor on sports or wine or something and do it on Jan 20th.

r0drig0lac
01-04-2021, 07:44 AM
You have the coach organizations want and?
yet you bitch because he doesn’t move the way you like???yep

Atl Spur
01-04-2021, 08:02 AM
It was rhetorical:) The reply above tells you all you need to know.

r0drig0lac
01-04-2021, 08:05 AM
It was rhetorical:) The reply above tells you all you need to know.

I know it was, but as much as you believe they are, they are not related, and I wanted to make that clear to you, maybe now you understand.

ECOV
01-04-2021, 12:13 PM
yall need to retire from this website.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-04-2021, 12:44 PM
He hasn't done a terrible job this season. It seems like the young guys have given him some new energy, he seems motivated and is doing a good job, IMO. Last year he looked miserable most games, just like the fans were.

timvp
01-04-2021, 12:56 PM
How quickly will these exhalers be calling for Becky's head? I put the over/under at five games, tbh.

GAustex
01-04-2021, 01:22 PM
Hiring Becky only makes history-and is not done with getting the best qualified

John B
01-04-2021, 02:45 PM
He hasn't done a terrible job this season. It seems like the young guys have given him some new energy, he seems motivated and is doing a good job, IMO. Last year he looked miserable most games, just like the fans were.
Last year Pop was fixated with outscoring the opponents, to the detriment of playing defense. It was surprising to turn back from the defensive mantra that the Spurs were known for. I like to say it was CIA Pop that lost just enough games to field the 3 and D player that the Spurs need from the draft?? And now the Spurs are back playing physical, tough defense. They are a long way to go, but the expectation is there to play better defense. And that's all I can hope for. Other teams are taking years, decades to replace their franchise player. I seriously think we've made a turn on Keldon and Co. Imo, they only need a 20/10 big to totally compete, one that they can get either through FA or draft (unlikely in 1st or 2nd year). Or maybe they already have with Keldon? Spurs just need big body to protect the rim and score some. Still, I see a clear direction where the Spurs are going.

A lot of fans will not appreciate Pop until he's retired, which is sad. Myself, I want him to get the winningest coach. I'm sure he doesn't care. But to have a Spurs coach get that while coaching just one team, our Spurs??? That's part of Spurs as one of NBA's mecca.

FkLA
01-04-2021, 02:47 PM
I understood it the past few years, because of his stupid ass rotations, but what is the complaint this year? I think he's playing the right guys and most of them are good individual defenders.

Are his defensive schemes just outdated?

Ocotillo
01-04-2021, 03:42 PM
How quickly will these exhalers be calling for Becky's head? I put the over/under at five games, tbh. I was pissed when she didn't put KBD in when she stepped in for Pop when he got tossed. :rollin

K...
01-04-2021, 03:46 PM
Saying Becky isn't a great coach is telling, the question is whether she is the best available coach. Most of the good coaches are being happily paid in good markets. Spurs will get their share of the retreads. No one is going to rush to succeed pop for a roster with such uncertain talent.

Mugen
01-04-2021, 04:15 PM
How quickly will these exhalers be calling for Becky's head? I put the over/under at five games, tbh.

The alternative is the "lifetime pass" that you and the Sniff Crew are asking for :lol

As hilarious as it will be to hear Pop call 4 down for Timmy 5 years from now, I think we should give the old man a much deserved rest

Mugen
01-04-2021, 04:17 PM
Also, the bar to eclipse the current head coach is set at "understands modern NBA basketball," so hopefully the pool isn't that small :lol

Sugus
01-04-2021, 04:38 PM
I understood it the past few years, because of his stupid ass rotations, but what is the complaint this year? I think he's playing the right guys and most of them are good individual defenders.

Yeah, rotations and personnel haven't really been issues with Pop this season (other than the fact that some of the personnel, the vets especially, is just.... Done). The problem lies within the schemes. As much as I love Pop, he doesn't seem to like the way the game is played nowadays (on both ends of the floor), and him trying to fight against the current and instill old timers' values into the young guys is actively detrimental to them and the team. The cliché is "Pop hates the 3", which I don't agree with, but the Spurs are clearly behind the curve in regards to modern offensive and defensive sets, and it's not entirely or majorly a personnel problem (even though Dejounte will disagree with me here).

I'm willing to give Pop this last season. Go out with a bang, hopefully even make the POs as a last hurray, then fade to black while the vets also leave or are traded. Start next season with a blank slate, new coach, and developed youngsters ready for a bigger role. That's a good plan to me.

Atl Spur
01-04-2021, 07:03 PM
Some of you keep me smiling:) Pop will leave when he is ready, I doubt your organization/employer allows you to do the same but who knows...... Out of curiosity, who would you guys like to see coach the team?

Uriel
01-04-2021, 07:24 PM
I thought everybody on this message board knew these two things already:

1. This is Pop’s last season. He will retire after the Olympics.
2. Bill Self will replace him as head coach.

GAustex
01-04-2021, 07:45 PM
Synder
Ime

Atl Spur
01-04-2021, 08:00 PM
Hi Mugen.....I’m waiting to hear your candidates to coach this team:)

RC_Drunkford
01-04-2021, 08:57 PM

His schemes are garbage bro. We give up 3s and lay ups while contesting midrange shots and overhelping on drivers. It should be the other way around. Like I said, when Messina and Udoka left, the defensive schemes went with them.

Mugen
01-04-2021, 09:25 PM
Hi Mugen.....I’m waiting to hear your candidates to coach this team:)

Anybody below 70 years old. Take your pick :lol

J_Paco
01-04-2021, 09:53 PM

You'll be bitching, complaining and endlessly "trolling" (with terribly unfunny or amusing material) within 10 games of their arrival.

If you can't appreciate the greatest coach and front-office the franchise ever had (and will have), how the fuck can you patiently watch the turds of the league (Jaques Vaughn, Jim Beilein, etc, etc,) actually blunder through losing season after losing season?

You are literally the dumbest, most childish, repetitive troll on these boards. I'd rather see you find a new team, leave here and never comeback than see Pop retire. His presence has actually led to great things and helped the team become a dynasty. You on the other hand are an ungrateful, annoying little turd stain that should have left here years ago.

ElNono
01-04-2021, 10:46 PM
Becky would be great if we decide to tank for 2-3 seasons which is what realistically this team needs to do.

Once you draft one or two solid stars in the making, you thank her for her services and hire a legit NBA coach.

Atl Spur
01-04-2021, 11:41 PM

Ummmm.........ok.

Mugen
01-05-2021, 10:50 AM
You'll be bitching, complaining and endlessly "trolling" (with terribly unfunny or amusing material) within 10 games of their arrival.

If you can't appreciate the greatest coach and front-office the franchise ever had (and will have), how the fuck can you patiently watch the turds of the league (Jaques Vaughn, Jim Beilein, etc, etc,) actually blunder through losing season after losing season?

You are literally the dumbest, most childish, repetitive troll on these boards. I'd rather see you find a new team, leave here and never comeback than see Pop retire. His presence has actually led to great things and helped the team become a dynasty. You on the other hand are an ungrateful, annoying little turd stain that should have left here years ago.

I can already hear you huffin' and puffin' after you typed that out, that's enough cardio for today big man :lol

Prime BEEF
01-05-2021, 12:56 PM
I thought everybody on this message board knew these two things already:

1. This is Pop’s last season. He will retire after the Olympics.
2. Bill Self will replace him as head coach.
It would be a good time for self to leave Kansas. Think they have some ncaa investigations going on

Prime BEEF
01-05-2021, 12:58 PM

Damn dude

Prime BEEF
01-05-2021, 12:59 PM
Synder
Ime
I think Snyder would do well but I’m just as concerned with the GM position as I am the coaching position.

Dennis the Menace
01-05-2021, 01:19 PM
Why does everyone want Pop to retire? I don’t think y’all are thinking this through.

With Pop we continue to suck and tank hard. Accumulate talent. At this rate if we can continue with Pop for a couple more years of steady Tanking then we will end up like Golden State filled with young talent due to Mark Jackson’s ineptitude.

We are on the Mark Jackson team build program. Stick with it fellas.

Once we fill the cupboard with young talent via draft then you flip the switch and insert a stud coach.

J_Paco
01-05-2021, 06:20 PM
I can already hear you huffin' and puffin' after you typed that out, that's enough cardio for today big man :lol

Wow, another unfunny, corny ass joke! Couldn't be more surprised, TBH.

spurs1990
01-05-2021, 06:42 PM

To be fair the Spurs online message board has been in existence since at least 1999 (DG's Spurs report), and in the 21 years since then this is the first real thread calling for the old man's dismissal.

Spoken a different way fans have given him two decades of respect and politeness on the internet until now.
I highly doubt anyone will be seriously calling for the successor's ouster 10 games into their run.

It's just time. It's a different game. He's been at it too long. Players have tuned it all out.

All good things as they say. Paterno left, Bowden left. Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll, Jerry Sloan. Every sport there's an end to a tenure. Unlike those others, he'll be able to hand pick and groom his successor.

Mugen
01-05-2021, 07:36 PM
Wow, another unfunny, corny ass joke! Couldn't be more surprised, TBH.

:lol J_Taco, I just want you and your family to stay safe and have a wonderful new year. :bobo

EmantheSpursFan
01-05-2021, 08:25 PM
He’s earned the right to stay however long he wants. Like it or not Pop is a nba legend. The team is in the midst of a youth movement and has young fun talent budding. This year we have had injuries to White and LA, let’s calm down before we write him off.
*edit grammar

RC_Drunkford
01-05-2021, 08:45 PM
Pop is basically dragging the franchise down like Kobe did with the Lakers

Atl Spur
01-05-2021, 09:49 PM

Please log off......

Dirks_Finale
01-08-2021, 10:13 AM
This thread is not going to age well :lol

2 quality wins in LA vs both elite LA teams.

It's already not aging well :lol

jjktkk
01-08-2021, 12:47 PM
2 quality wins in LA vs both elite LA teams.

It's already not aging well :lol

Given the fact that Mugen never can post anything right about basketball on here, I'm waiting for his next thread in the Club. Something along the lines like "The Official MUGENIA'S "[COLOR="#0000FF"]i don't shit about basketball" , but I can make sushi", or something like that. :lol

Mugen
01-08-2021, 12:51 PM
Given the fact that Mugen (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15519) never can post anything right about basketball on here, I'm waiting for his next thread in the Club. Something along the lines like "The Official MUGENIA'S "[COLOR="#0000FF"]i don't shit about basketball" , but I can make sushi", or something like that. :lol

:lol Damn my man, you're obsessed with me

jjktkk
01-08-2021, 02:07 PM
:lol Damn my man, you're obsessed with me

We the wise folks on ST just want you to improve your status on here. We care about your well being, that's all. :)

ElNono
01-08-2021, 03:23 PM
lol this team is first round playoff fodder, if that...

jjktkk
01-13-2021, 10:23 AM

How so? Pop seems to be getting this young team headed in the right direction. I have reservations about Pop the GM, but Pop the HOF coach is still proving he's one of the GOATs imo. You and others on this thread need to find the crow.

Bogie
01-13-2021, 11:55 AM
Also, the bar to eclipse the current head coach is set at "understands modern NBA basketball," so hopefully the pool isn't that small :lol

holy shit, you’re dumb dude

Bogie
01-13-2021, 11:58 AM
lol this team is first round playoff fodder, if that...

you’re not enjoying watching them play this year? This team has a long way to go, but they’ve become required viewing again because they’re fun to watch, and improving.

ElNono
01-14-2021, 11:12 PM
you’re not enjoying watching them play this year? This team has a long way to go, but they’ve become required viewing again because they’re fun to watch, and improving.

Meh, "improving" is a relative term... this team has a ceiling with guys like Patty and LMA burning minutes, tbh...

Robz4000
01-14-2021, 11:18 PM
Time to take him out back and ole yeller him.

Floyd Pacquiao
01-14-2021, 11:24 PM
I’m just fucking tired man. I feel like I’ve been bitching about pops shit in game coaching for the better part of 10 years and I’m just fucking done :lol he’ll never change, he’s still the same stubborn old man who favors feelings and vets over who’s actually playing better

daslicer
01-15-2021, 03:04 AM
I’m just fucking tired man. I feel like I’ve been bitching about pops shit in game coaching for the better part of 10 years and I’m just fucking done :lol he’ll never change, he’s still the same stubborn old man who favors feelings and vets over who’s actually playing better

He's going to go out with his pride. He has to get humiliated a few more times before he finally quits. The Spurs missing the playoffs for two more straight years will do it for him when people start taking shots at his legacy.

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2021, 08:48 AM
How so? Pop seems to be getting this young team headed in the right direction. I have reservations about Pop the GM, but Pop the HOF coach is still proving he's one of the GOATs imo. You and others on this thread need to find the crow.

did you watch the game yesterday?

GAustex
01-15-2021, 10:41 AM
Poop will be gone soon. Those who know need to be patient. Eventually he will be gone. Until then-well shit.

Mugen
01-15-2021, 10:43 AM
Sniffers getting mad at my thread instead of celebrating the old man's golden years when he still gave a shit and was being carried by Tim/Manu :lol

DMC
01-15-2021, 02:03 PM
Pop is a control freak, he'll be clinging to the clipboard when they bury him.

Prime BEEF
01-15-2021, 02:28 PM
Pop is a control freak, he'll be clinging to the clipboard when they bury him.
I think so too. He’ll be coaching spurs in his 80s

jjktkk
01-15-2021, 02:33 PM
did you watch the game yesterday?

I did not. I'm curious as to why you waited for the Spurs to lose in order to make Pop come off as an incompetent coach? It's one thing for a dipshit like the OP, who came up with a lame ass thread like this one. He or she can't help himself. But you seem to be a knowledgeable BB type. Blame Pop for bad coaching decisions that cost the Spurs against the Rockets. But to assume Pop is an old geezer and needs to retire because he can no longer coach, makes you come off as one of the dummy, ST fans on here.

Mugen
01-15-2021, 02:50 PM
:cry

poopbox
01-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Maybe when White comes back we at least won't have Mills on the floor in crunchtime :depressed

DMC
01-15-2021, 03:37 PM
I did not. I'm curious as to why you waited for the Spurs to lose in order to make Pop come off as an incompetent coach? It's one thing for a dipshit like the OP, who came up with a lame ass thread like this one. He or she can't help himself. But you seem to be a knowledgeable BB type. Blame Pop for bad coaching decisions that cost the Spurs against the Rockets. But to assume Pop is an old geezer and needs to retire because he can no longer coach, makes you come off as one of the dummy, ST fans on here.

What's up bro?

jjktkk
01-15-2021, 05:29 PM
What's up bro?

Doing good my man. I see you're not letting your goat status take too much of a hiatus on ST.

Uriel
01-16-2021, 07:16 PM
I wonder how the Olympics getting cancelled would impact Pop’s retirement plans. He was always due to retire after the Olympics, which are supposed to take place this summer. But if they get cancelled outright, will Pop be with us until 2024?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/sports/olympics/tokyo-olympics.html

jjktkk
01-16-2021, 08:14 PM
:cry

:cry:cry

spurs1990
01-16-2021, 08:20 PM
I wonder how the Olympics getting cancelled would impact Pop’s retirement plans. He was always due to retire after the Olympics, which are supposed to take place this summer. But if they get cancelled outright, will Pop be with us until 2024?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/sports/olympics/tokyo-olympics.html

I'd expect that to be the case. He's got a lifetime pass courtesy of Tim Duncan. He's the only one who'll determine his exit

Sugus
01-16-2021, 08:45 PM
will Pop be with us until 2024?

:vomit:

J_Paco
01-17-2021, 08:10 PM
:vomit:

At most he'll likely continue until he breaks the all-time wins record - if it actually matters to him - but I could see him moving on once he has a clear successor.

Not sure if that person is on his staff currently or out in the NBA, though.

jjktkk
01-19-2021, 12:24 PM
The unofficial OP should retire instead of posting shitty threads would be better tbh:lol 1351576194802716672

Mugen
01-19-2021, 12:36 PM
:cry "You see Bryn Forbes and Marco Belinelli were just CIA Pop all along"

Atl Spur
01-19-2021, 12:57 PM
ST.........the place intelligent takes go to die! Is your Hall Of Fame Coach the real problem??? Our youngsters are thriving right now; Luka will come around I hope very soon,

Dex
01-19-2021, 01:00 PM
ST.........the place intelligent takes go to die! Is your Hall Of Fame Coach the real problem??? Our youngsters are thriving right now; Luka will come around I hope very soon,

Samanic was always a two-year project at minimum. I don't know why people are surprised.

jjktkk
01-19-2021, 02:54 PM
Samanic was always a two-year project at minimum. I don't know why people are surprised.Surprised, or maybe they are just not that bright.

spurs1990
02-01-2021, 11:16 PM
I still don't know the Memphis coaches name after watching these two games but he'd be preferable than a guy whose time is clearly gone.

daslicer
02-01-2021, 11:18 PM
I still don't know the Memphis coaches name after watching these two games but he'd be preferable than a guy whose time is clearly gone.

He's not going to leave Memphis when their young duo of Morant-Jackson is better than the current Spurs young prospects.

TheGreatYacht
02-01-2021, 11:22 PM
Same. Don’t know his name nor care, but he ate Poop’s lunch in a way I haven’t seen since Billy Donovan used to play around with the boomer.

I was hoping he’d retire with Tim to avoid getting exposed for the fraud he is, and then hoped he’d leave again when Trump lost the election. I’ve just come to accept that he ain’t leaving until he further ruins Coach K’s Team USA winning culture and gets fired. That will be the day he quits for good.

NASpurs
02-01-2021, 11:27 PM
It’s like we’re being held hostage because of the old fart’s ego or inability to let go. :lol

daslicer
02-01-2021, 11:32 PM
Same. Don’t know his name nor care, but he ate Poop’s lunch in a way I haven’t seen since Billy Donovan used to play around with the boomer.

I was hoping he’d retire with Tim to avoid getting exposed for the fraud he is, and then hoped he’d leave again when Trump lost the election. I’ve just come to accept that he ain’t leaving until he further ruins Coach K’s Team USA winning culture and gets fired. That will be the day he quits for good.

Unfortunately it looks like the Olympics are going to get cancelled again in '21. Looks like Pop will be here until '24.

daslicer
02-01-2021, 11:32 PM
It’s like we’re being held hostage because of the old fart’s ego or inability to let go. :lol

He's basically doing what Kobe did to the Lakers from '13-'16. His ego won't let him quit.

TheGreatYacht
02-01-2021, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately it looks like the Olympics are going to get cancelled again in '21. Looks like Pop will be here until '24.
China really did us dirty :depressed

J_Paco
02-01-2021, 11:48 PM
He's basically doing what Kobe did to the Lakers from '13-'16. His ego won't let him quit.

Sure, he's eating up $38.5 million dollars in cap space, repeatedly ending up with the worst record in franchise history and forcing all our (top 5) lottery picks to play through him. Oh wait........

I'll drop it cause I like you as a poster and understand your frustration with the organization & Pop.

He was in a no - win situation (when Nephew turned his back on the organization) similar to Jerry Sloan once Deron Williams "disrepected" him during a game. Sloan had the sense to step away before the losing started and some of the fanbase (mostly on ST) turned on him.

TheGreatYacht
02-01-2021, 11:57 PM
Sure, he's eating up $38.5 million dollars in cap space, repeatedly ending up with the worst record in franchise history and forcing all our (top 5) lottery picks to play through him. Oh wait........

I'll drop it cause I like you as a poster and understand your frustration with the organization & Pop.

He was in a no - win situation (when Nephew turned his back on the organization) similar to Jerry Sloan once Deron Williams "disrepected" him during a game. Sloan had the sense to step away before the losing started and some of the fanbase (mostly on ST) turned on him.
Sloan slowly started showing signs of dementia and Parkinson’s after he stepped away. So yea, maybe he did his organization a favor and stepped away when he should’ve. That time was 5 years ago for Pop. Won’t happen though. He’s truly not over himself.

MultiTroll
02-02-2021, 12:30 AM
The unofficial OP should retire instead of posting shitty threads would be better tbh:lol 1351576194802716672
You, Pop and the Kens writer sure are showin em.

jjktkk
02-02-2021, 03:34 PM
You, Pop and the Kens writer sure are showin em.

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: Fabby, shouldn't you try to be relevant somewhere else? :lol

Mugen
02-03-2021, 10:22 PM
^ :lmao This old fuck hates it when other elderly people are called out for being terrible.....

The end is near fellas, hopefully only 50ish more games of this washed idiot running this franchise into the ground.

ducks
08-06-2021, 07:03 PM
Just wanted to get this bad boy ready for when that glorious day finally arrives.

:toast :pop:

Uriel
08-06-2021, 11:18 PM
Pop ends his coaching career with an Olympic gold medal, proving once again that he's the best coach in the world.

Twisted_Dawg
08-06-2021, 11:32 PM
It was a nice run with Pop, although 3 years too long. Now on to the Becky Hammon era. Hopefully Drunkford retires too.

slick'81
08-06-2021, 11:35 PM
Godbye pop. Becky,you got the juice now

MoSpur02
08-07-2021, 07:44 AM
Mike Finger tweeted something about Coach Pop saying “siyonara” (not sure if spelled right) when asked about focusing on the Spurs next. I’ll try to find the tweet.

MoSpur02
08-07-2021, 07:46 AM
https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/1423881679991545859?s=21

MoSpur02
08-07-2021, 07:47 AM
https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/1423885097430700035?s=21

John B
08-07-2021, 08:22 AM
Pop is the last of the Golden Era. Enjoy him while it last. To the GOAT, at least one more year to get that winiest coach.

The Truth #6
08-07-2021, 09:48 AM
Pop loves traveling around going to restaurants. The team, the restaurant people—that’s like his family, right? That’s his life. How does he just walk away from that? He’s already accepted that we suck. Sure, he probably wants the record. But hey, the off-season under our new low standards was better than expected so I don’t feel as bad if he comes back.

PrimeMinister
08-07-2021, 10:14 AM
Yes- pop went the entire coaching interview and recruiting cycle without announcing his retirement just so he could tell mike finger “sayonara”

Wishful thinking is not a source

Chillen
08-07-2021, 10:39 AM
Pop is the last of the Golden Era. Enjoy him while it last. To the GOAT, at least one more year to get that winiest coach.

This. I don't see Pop retiring till he gets that record and I don't blame him. However this team assembled will either win 30 games next season or 10.

Mugen
08-07-2021, 10:53 AM
Damn I thought it finally happened, don't tease me like that :lol

bigfan
08-07-2021, 11:57 AM
Pop will pull the pin soon I imagine and he won't look back. He has done everything he wants as a head coach and any overall win record probably does not mean a damn thing to him. He has earned his place at the top of the basketball coach list. I bet he walks out the door and heads straight to growing grapes on his farm someplace.

Dex
08-07-2021, 11:58 AM
This. I don't see Pop retiring till he gets that record and I don't blame him. However this team assembled will either win 30 games next season or 10.

Some people around here act like he is doing it to just stroke his ego :rolleyes

If you have the chance to be the greatest of all time at ANYTHING, you go for it.

Shoutout to posters out there who are some of the whiniest bitches ever

Seventyniner
08-07-2021, 12:30 PM
My feeling is that he coaches this season, deflects/dodges all questions about retirement, then announces his retirement a day or two after the Spurs season ends.

In that vein, I won't be surprised if the Spurs make a win-now move at the deadline if they are in playoff contention. It would be quite fitting for Pop's last game to be a playoff game, even if it would likely be game 5 of the first round.

RC_Drunkford
08-07-2021, 01:53 PM
Why do people think they would construct a roster and then change the headcoach afterwards? If Pop retires the new headcoach will construct the roster, so no he's not retiring

Uriel
08-07-2021, 07:41 PM
You’d have to be super dense at this point not to see that he’s gone.

Chillen
08-08-2021, 12:08 AM
You’d have to be super dense at this point not to see that he’s gone.

I say he should go to the Nets for 1 or 2 seasons and they make Nash an assistant coach till Pop retires. This Spurs roster is likely going to miss the playoffs. Patty Mills just joined the Nets. I think Pop deserves it. If Phil Jackson can hop teams I don't see why Pop can't.

cd98
08-08-2021, 11:24 AM
I can't see him keeping the team in limbo all summer and then quitting at the end of the summer and making the Spurs fall behind this season by not having a coach in place. I suspect he'll coach one more year and put a succession plan in place with the organization. Then I wouldn't be shocked if he took on some other role in the franchise, like a front office position.

Budkin
08-08-2021, 04:43 PM
I can't see him keeping the team in limbo all summer and then quitting at the end of the summer and making the Spurs fall behind this season by not having a coach in place. I suspect he'll coach one more year and put a succession plan in place with the organization. Then I wouldn't be shocked if he took on some other role in the franchise, like a front office position.

Pop should take over as GM / President and send Wright packing.

MultiTroll
08-08-2021, 04:54 PM
Pop should take over as GM / President and send Wright packing.
Meh did Wright (Wrong) make those decisions or he simply a proxy puppet?

BackHome
08-08-2021, 06:31 PM
Yeah I think Pop will be back one more year he just won Gold he doesn't have the stress of trying to make playoffs - He can finally coach and maybe enjoy the game of basketball and take everything in and appreciate that it will be coming to an end sooner then latter.