PDA

View Full Version : Official 2021 Coach Hire/Fire Thread

spurraider21
01-04-2021, 02:36 PM
Gase and Marrone canned. Patricia, O'Brien, Quinn were fired midseason.

some teams looking for GMs too. Will also track major OC/DC hires

spurraider21
01-04-2021, 03:00 PM

spurraider21
01-04-2021, 03:00 PM
houston has deshaun watson playing at an absurd level, though.

phxspurfan
01-04-2021, 04:38 PM
some really really bad coaches in the NFL. It's surprising how bad coaches can be in the NFL and still have jobs.

Millennial_Messiah
01-04-2021, 07:38 PM
some really really bad coaches in the NFL. It's surprising how bad coaches can be in the NFL and still have jobs.

like the one the Cowboys have

McFatass should get the axe now

spurraider21
01-04-2021, 08:56 PM
Raiders early hunt for a DC sadly does not seem to include Wade Phillips.

Darth_Pelican
01-11-2021, 02:20 PM
Pederson fired

Robz4000
01-11-2021, 02:44 PM
:lol apparently they fired him to appease Carson Wentz of all fucking people. The GM/owner want Wentz starting again next season if they can't trade him.

Darth_Pelican
01-11-2021, 02:48 PM
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s600x600/138555099_3816363698457262_7953648717097925655_n.p ng?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=2wQimlrk54EAX9ZQB-i&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&_nc_tp=30&oh=7c4294702805f52d7f5d3b0d4cf010d8&oe=60229D55

spurraider21
01-11-2021, 02:48 PM
all signs point to the raiders trying to hire somebody from the old Legion of Boom coordinating tree. cover 3 has been dead for years now, ugh.

Millennial_Messiah
01-11-2021, 04:25 PM
all signs point to the raiders trying to hire somebody from the old Legion of Boom coordinating tree. cover 3 has been dead for years now, ugh.

Looks like Cowboys are bringing in Dan Quinn to be the DC... so we're in the same boat.

:lol if you guys end up with Kris Richard and the Marinelli/Richard tandem again like what the Cowboys suffered through for so long.

Millennial_Messiah
01-11-2021, 04:26 PM
Pederson fired

:lol apparently they fired him to appease Carson Wentz of all fucking people. The GM/owner want Wentz starting again next season if they can't trade him.

W-O-W :wow :wow :wow :wow :wow

This'll sure make my half brother very happy.

I guess this was done because they realistically can't unload the Wentz contract; they can probably get a 2nd round pick or better for Hurts, and they have some old guys they really need to dump for cap reasons because they are in the depths of cap hell.

spurraider21
01-11-2021, 04:29 PM
Looks like Cowboys are bringing in Dan Quinn to be the DC... so we're in the same boat.

:lol if you guys end up with Kris Richard and the Marinelli/Richard tandem again like what the Cowboys suffered through for so long.
the guy they're targeting appears to be Gus Bradley, ugh.

wade phillips is sitting right there, and wants the job according to some reporters

spurraider21
01-11-2021, 04:29 PM
https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s600x600/138555099_3816363698457262_7953648717097925655_n.p ng?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=2wQimlrk54EAX9ZQB-i&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&_nc_tp=30&oh=7c4294702805f52d7f5d3b0d4cf010d8&oe=60229D55
yeah lets keep the camera on him for when they hire Gase

Millennial_Messiah
01-11-2021, 04:53 PM
the guy they're targeting appears to be Gus Bradley, ugh.

wade phillips is sitting right there, and wants the job according to some reporters

Bradley's Seahawks were pretty good, but the raiders clearly don't have that kind of talent in the secondary.

Phillips is a diehard 3-4 guy though, not sure if that meshes with what Gruden wants for his defense

spurraider21
01-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Bradley's Seahawks were pretty good, but the raiders clearly don't have that kind of talent in the secondary.

Phillips is a diehard 3-4 guy though, not sure if that meshes with what Gruden wants for his defense
gruden said during a press conference that he prefers 4 down linemen, and within an hour or so phillips tweeted about how easily you can switch from 4-3 to 3-4 :lol... i think he wants the gig but gruden unfortunately isnt interested

Millennial_Messiah
01-11-2021, 05:18 PM
gruden said during a press conference that he prefers 4 down linemen, and within an hour or so phillips tweeted about how easily you can switch from 4-3 to 3-4 :lol... i think he wants the gig but gruden unfortunately isnt interested

It's a 4-2-5 league these days regardless of what your "base" scheme is, but unfortunately gruden is stuck in the 90s with his mentality. "no 3-4 coach shall pass through this door"

Chinook
01-11-2021, 06:22 PM

Wentz needs to stop being an awful QB first. Like on one hand, Philly basically has to make it work since they locked themselves into a contract. But on the other hand, they have a cheap QB and can obviously draft another one. Starting Wentz because of the money is fallacious. Personally think Carson's attitude to end the year was abysmal. It's no one else's fault his backups keep outplaying him.

spurraider21
01-11-2021, 06:24 PM
Wentz needs to stop being an awful QB first. Like on one hand, Philly basically has to make it work since they locked themselves into a contract. But on the other hand, they have a cheap QB and can obviously draft another one. Starting Wentz because of the money is fallacious. Personally think Carson's attitude to end the year was abysmal. It's no one else's fault his backups keep outplaying him.
this. while its certainly true that PHI had a lot of injuries up front and at the skill positions, he was going out of his way to make awful throws and decisions.

spurraider21
01-11-2021, 06:28 PM
Quinn confirmed to Cowboys

really hope the raiders get raheem morris if they're not interested in phillips. but im worried they're gonna grab bradley

Millennial_Messiah
01-11-2021, 07:13 PM

really hope the raiders get raheem morris if they're not interested in phillips. but im worried they're gonna grab bradley

Isn't morris another 3-4 guy?

Bradley was terrible as a HC but has proven success as a DC tbh.

spurraider21
01-11-2021, 07:29 PM

yeah with the loaded roster seattle had :lol

and not just their elite secondary (especially Thomas and Chancellor being as dominant as they were, imo more important than Sherman)... but having great coverage linebackers like Wagner, and a front 4 that got pressure on its own without blitzing.

Millennial_Messiah
01-11-2021, 08:19 PM
yeah with the loaded roster seattle had :lol

and not just their elite secondary (especially Thomas and Chancellor being as dominant as they were, imo more important than Sherman)... but having great coverage linebackers like Wagner, and a front 4 that got pressure on its own without blitzing.
Seattle today has a helluva lot of talent but gave up 30+ to a Rams team that had been up and down the past month. They could have used Bradley or Quinn back. Norton is a dud.

I agree with Thomas+Chancellor being a pair of dynamic complementary safeties we'll never see again. Sherman was just a great scheme fit but he never was really an elite corner. He runs a 4.6 and plays press bail

spurraider21
01-11-2021, 08:23 PM
Seattle today has a helluva lot of talent but gave up 30+ to a Rams team that had been up and down the past month. They could have used Bradley or Quinn back. Norton is a dud.

I agree with Thomas+Chancellor being a pair of dynamic complementary safeties we'll never see again. Sherman was just a great scheme fit but he never was really an elite corner. He runs a 4.6 and plays press bail
disagree on sherman, he's been excellent even post achilles, past prime with the niners. but running the seahawks cover 3 as a primary was really dependent on having those 2 outstanding safeties and a front 4 like theirs

Millennial_Messiah
01-11-2021, 09:11 PM
disagree on sherman, he's been excellent even post achilles, past prime with the niners. but running the seahawks cover 3 as a primary was really dependent on having those 2 outstanding safeties and a front 4 like theirs

Sherman is also a free agent. Any chance he joins Dallas or Seahawks now?

spurraider21
01-11-2021, 09:13 PM
Sherman is also a free agent. Any chance he joins Dallas or Seahawks now?
who knows. he's also gonna be 33 at the start of the season. he was still good this year but not like last year

Robz4000
01-11-2021, 10:24 PM
Sherman is about done tbh. That torn achilles is catching up with him quick.

Mark Celibate
01-11-2021, 11:31 PM

rofl so Dallas got rid of The Bot last year only to get the Defensive Coordinator version of The Bot this year. He basically runs a vanilla, simple defense that can't function without talented players IMO. Also not a fan of blitzing a.k.a needs a good secondary. In other words, we're screwed

Robz4000
01-11-2021, 11:43 PM
rofl so Dallas got rid of The Bot last year only to get the Defensive Coordinator version of The Bot this year. He basically runs a vanilla, simple defense that can't function without talented players IMO. Also not a fan of blitzing a.k.a needs a good secondary. In other words, we're screwed

Jerruh remains the best Cowboy stopper in the game :tu

Chinook
01-12-2021, 07:38 AM

Morris was raised in the Tampa 2 under Kiffen, but I don't know what he's been doing.

Millennial_Messiah
01-12-2021, 09:12 AM

At least we have a stud strong safety who is IMO just as good as Adams but without the glamor and drama. And a budding superstar at CB1 in Diggs. The secondary has made strides. The biggest holes are X. Woods, Awuzie, Lewis, and Anthony Brown, but all of those except Brown are free agents and Brown is a cheap dime corner who should be demoted to just that.

We just need to draft Surtain at 10 and get a stud FS.

Millennial_Messiah
01-13-2021, 06:14 PM
Cowboys hired Joe Whitt Jr. as the DB/secondary coach... who? Why not Bradley or Richard?

Millennial_Messiah
01-15-2021, 09:19 AM
Urban Meyer HIRED to the Jacksonville Jaguars. :wow :wow :wow

They own the #1 overall pick. Will they stand pat or trade down?

Chinook
01-15-2021, 10:38 AM
So SF is getting two picks for Saleh going to the Jets?

I think that's a bit too much, but I do understand how this does help with minority hires. It encourages teams to hire minority people for lead assistant roles, which is one of the biggest reasons so few have been head coaches. I think one fourth or maybe a third would be worth it. Two thirds feels insane. That's enough to where teams might constantly try to force minority coaches into roles just to hope to get the picks.

Millennial_Messiah
01-15-2021, 11:52 AM
So SF is getting two picks for Saleh going to the Jets?

I think that's a bit too much, but I do understand how this does help with minority hires. It encourages teams to hire minority people for lead assistant roles, which is one of the biggest reasons so few have been head coaches. I think one fourth or maybe a third would be worth it. Two thirds feels insane. That's enough to where teams might constantly try to force minority coaches into roles just to hope to get the picks.
It's fucking insane. If anything the thirds should only be for HC's. All assistants should be like a bottom 6th rounder... Agreed?

Chinook
01-15-2021, 12:46 PM
It's fucking insane. If anything the thirds should only be for HC's. All assistants should be like a bottom 6th rounder... Agreed?

I don't know exactly how the system works, but from what I saw, the thirds ARE only for HCs. Those picks go to the team that lost the coach though, not to the hiring team. So the only way to get those picks is to hire minority assistants and promote them up within your structure. So like if say Leftwich left to be a head coach this off-season, Tampa would get the comp picks, not the team that hired him. And if Wink or Roman on the Ravens walks, Baltimore might have more incentive to look to replace those guys with a minority candidate, though I don't know if there's a tenure requirement.

What this doesn't do is incentivize teams hiring minority HCs directly, which I think is a good thing. Doing that would basically handicap those coaches by raising questions about why they were hired.

EDIT: This is what I found about the initiative:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/11/10/nfl-minority-coach-general-manager-hiring-proposal-approved/6234064002/

Millennial_Messiah
01-15-2021, 01:03 PM
I don't know exactly how the system works, but from what I saw, the thirds ARE only for HCs. Those picks go to the team that lost the coach though, not to the hiring team. So the only way to get those picks is to hire minority assistants and promote them up within your structure. So like if say Leftwich left to be a head coach this off-season, Tampa would get the comp picks, not the team that hired him. And if Wink or Roman on the Ravens walks, Baltimore might have more incentive to look to replace those guys with a minority candidate, though I don't know if there's a tenure requirement.

What this doesn't do is incentivize teams hiring minority HCs directly, which I think is a good thing. Doing that would basically handicap those coaches by raising questions about why they were hired.

EDIT: This is what I found about the initiative:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/11/10/nfl-minority-coach-general-manager-hiring-proposal-approved/6234064002/

I meant that only teams losing minority HCs should be rewarded with 3rd round picks... not minority assistants promoted to HC or another role.

For example, Tomlin getting hired somewhere else (say, as a HC or GM, executive, etc). Not a low totem pole guy getting a HC job somewhere else.

Fair enough?

Chinook
01-15-2021, 01:22 PM
I meant that only teams losing minority HCs should be rewarded with 3rd round picks... not minority assistants promoted to HC or another role.

For example, Tomlin getting hired somewhere else (say, as a HC or GM, executive, etc). Not a low totem pole guy getting a HC job somewhere else.

Fair enough?

No, that doesn't make any sense. First, what difference does it make if the HC a team is getting was an HC or OC or S&C C or whatever? It's the same role. Second, teams don't lose HCs typically. They fire them. If Tomlin signs somewhere else, it won't be because another team poached him. Sure, every once in a while a team and coach do just part ways after a contract is up, but that's rare. And if an HC under contract is going to a different team without being fired, it's a trade ala Gruden and already compensated for directly. Third, doing that would totally defeat the actual aim of the initiative, since it would encourage the hiring of retreads over up-and-coming coaches. You make long-lasting change through changing the composition of the pipeline/crop, not through trying to do late end-stage reforms.

spurraider21
01-15-2021, 02:37 PM
cant believe nobody is hiring him :lol... one of the great defensive coordinators of the generation, and its not like his tenure with the rams ended poorly