PDA

View Full Version : Very good recent, in depth analysis video of David Robinson’s game

lefty
01-04-2021, 08:54 PM
Long time and knowledgeable Spurs fans, what do you think?

https://youtu.be/G_5ZhbbDvQg

KobesAchilles
01-05-2021, 01:05 AM
Robinson is hard to judge from most media people bc of 3 major negatives factoring against him. They all kinda tie in together tho.

1. Dave was relatively new to basketball. He was a late bloomer and didn’t reach his full height until like 19? He played for Navy so he never really learned the game like he should have had he played for like Dean Smith or Bobby Knight. Robinson is all reactive and just so happened to be the quickest center in NBA history as well as probably the most athletic center of all time. They kinda just told David to be tall and try and block everything, which to Dave’s credit he was great at, but Navy never really taught him fundamentals. This is why he was primarily a face up guy. Nobody really taught him proper footwork and post moves.

In fact, bad coaching pretty much followed Dave’s career. He had 5 coaches in 6 years. And it can certainly be argued that David Robinson became an all time great player (top 20-25) without truly learning the game of basketball. And that’s an amazing achievement bc other than maybe Shaq, I can’t think of another player who can say that. Like there was so much for Dave to learn both offensively and defensively that he never did learn yet he was at the top of the league at both. It’s insane. Jordan, Magic, Larry, Kobe, Duncan, etc etc they were all students of the game and mastered their craft but Robinson never really did bc nobody taught him how to. Like imagine if Duncan didn’t have his arsenal of post moves and just had to rely on his athleticism, how good would he have been? Not very. Which is why I always say I would draft D-Rob over Tim, but hire a coach who can actually you know coach and teach him how to play the game.

2: He took two full years off from basketball (a sport he was a novice at) and that really hurt his career. Dave came in NBA ready and won rookie of the year despite not playing competitive basketball for 2 years. That shows how ridiculously talented he is but it also lowers his stats greatly. Robinson should have another 2 all star nods. He should have 2 more all nba nods. He should have like 4,000 more points and 1800 more rebounds. As well as like 350 more blocks. These 2 missed years are very important when talking about Dave bc he came into the league rusty, but also much older at 23. This in itself cuts short his prime and his accolades he would achieve.

3: injuries. Guy was very durable to start off his career but had several unfortunate bad breaks in the very prime of his career. He had back problems. He broke his foot. He missed another season which cut probably another 2,000 points, 1000 rebounds, and 240 blocks. Robinson also hurt his knee when Malone knocked him out and he admitted he was never the same athletically again.

Factoring all this in, Robinson should’ve finished his career with 27,000 points. 15,000 rebounds. 3,500 blocks and 13 all nba. 13 all star. 11 all nba defense. To go along with his DPOY, MVP, and 2 rings. He would never be out a persons top 20 and idiots in the media wouldn’t say someone like John Stockton or Kevin Garnett was better

Ice009
01-05-2021, 06:16 AM
Thanks for the writeup. I love reading anything D-Rob related. He's the reason I started following the NBA when I was a very young kid. The '93 season (I think it was), I watched a game between the Spurs and Magic, and Shaq and David both had over 40 points each and I was in awe of both of them. Spurs won the game, and since then I've been a Spurs fan. I don't know what is was, I just liked David better. I could just tell he was a good guy, so I gravitated towards him rather than being a Magic/Shaq fan.

KobesAchilles, do you think Anthony Davis is better than David? I was talking about this with someone a few weeks ago where it was mentioned that Davis is better than TD (I don't think that is even up for discussion, so I turned to conversation to - Is Anthony Davis even as good as D-rob was?). I'm going to say no, I don't think Davis is even as good as Robinson. D-Rob carried some shitty teams. I wonder if Davis could even get the team into the playoffs that lost to the Rockets in the WCF.

Some very interesting points you made about D-Rob being better if he got better coaching. You are right, he never was taught post moves or anything like that (he never had them), and also the 2 years he missed (I knew about them), but I also didn't think about the impact those two years had to his stats and also the injuries cost him more stats and all-star appearances, all-nba, all-defense. He really was great, and if I could do it all over again, and go back and watch him from the start, I would. Amazing player and person.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-05-2021, 07:25 AM
I also became a Spurs fan in the 90s because of DRob ( player fan boo! ) as I have zero ties to the city of San Antonio or the US as a whole.

Basketball was never really the top priority in his life. As KobesAchilles correctly explained he never got proper training or even played organized basketball enough in order to prepare for his career. He played basketball because he found out he was good at it, as opposed to working hard to become the best player he could be like Duncan. Not sure he ever really enjoyed the NBA, especially after his injuries started piling up. Also, he was just born at the wrong time. Had he been born 25-30 years later and was just entering the NBA right now he'd be unstoppable. The slow grind of the 90s and early 2000s basketball didn't suit his game.

One thing is certain though - as good as he was at basketball, he's always been an even better person and that's the most important thing.

Dirks_Finale
01-05-2021, 07:46 AM
Good piece on Drob. That 99 Spur's team is highly underrated thanks to Phil's non sensical talk. One of the best defensive teams ever, IMO and Drob was a big reason why.

XDT76
01-05-2021, 08:32 AM
Yeah DRob was also the reason I supported the Spurs. DRob was very professional but not passionate enough to put him in the GOAT discussion. Given his "shortcomings" he did great and battle a host of big man in his era people like Shaq, Ewing, Kareem, Mourning, Mutombo and then the big man combos of Eaton and Malone and Divac and Webber. Because of him the Spurs did not become the Kings of today. The only season that the Spurs miss the playoff during his playing day is the season he was shutdown the whole season. It is also that season that leads us to draft no. 21.

XDT76
01-05-2021, 08:34 AM
I meant to say Hakeem and not Kareem

Thomas82
01-05-2021, 08:41 AM
Thanks for this!! The Admiral is the reason I became a Spurs fan in 1988 (yes, I know it was the year before he joined the team). I never get tired of reading or watching clips of him.

Ice009
01-05-2021, 08:42 AM
I also became a Spurs fan in the 90s because of DRob ( player fan boo! ) as I have zero ties to the city of San Antonio or the US as a whole.

Basketball was never really the top priority in his life. As KobesAchilles correctly explained he never got proper training or even played organized basketball enough in order to prepare for his career. He played basketball because he found out he was good at it, as opposed to working hard to become the best player he could be like Duncan. Not sure he ever really enjoyed the NBA, especially after his injuries started piling up. Also, he was just born at the wrong time. Had he been born 25-30 years later and was just entering the NBA right now he'd be unstoppable. The slow grind of the 90s and early 2000s basketball didn't suit his game.

One thing is certain though - as good as he was at basketball, he's always been an even better person and that's the most important thing.

That's what I used to think too about his love for the game. Like XDT76 said, he wasn't the most passionate towards basketball early in his career. He had other talents and interests, he just didn't live and breathe basketball all the time. He really did have more passion IMO towards the end of his career, though. Maybe TD inspired him (possibly Manu and TP too), but I loved his passion for game towards the end of it all.

Thomas82
01-05-2021, 08:45 AM
Good piece on Drob. That 99 Spur's team is highly underrated thanks to Phil's non sensical talk. One of the best defensive teams ever, IMO and Drob was a big reason why.

To this day, that 1999 team still has the NBA record for opponent field goal percentage (.4016).

Dirks_Finale
01-05-2021, 09:18 AM
To this day, that 1999 team still has the NBA record for opponent field goal percentage (.4016).

And considering the direction the NBA has gone in with rule changes and overall softness, it will be an immortal record.

CGD
01-05-2021, 09:21 AM

If Phil Jackson’s reasoning was right, then two of LeBron’s chips should have asterisks next to them too.

Thomas82
01-05-2021, 09:23 AM
And considering the direction the NBA has gone in with rule changes and overall softness, it will be an immortal record.

Yeah, I don't think anybody is touching that record.

lefty
01-05-2021, 10:41 AM

Same here, watched some NBA highlights here and there (Magic, Isiah, Dumars, Jordan) before the Dream Team as I was living overseas and I wasn't that much in the NBA at the time although those guys were spectacular , then I watched the Tournament of Americas that was held in Portland before the Olympics and became a fan of Robinson because I'm left handed too :lol

Didn't have a favorite team (and everybody was on the Bulls bandwagon) so I naturally became a Spurs fan

Btw, great write up @KobesAchilles

(So I can confiirm the Dream Team is what made the NBA really global, not Jordan, don't believe that narrative)

adonis827
01-05-2021, 12:22 PM
I guess a lot of us were the same age! I am a Spurs fan as well because of Robinson. While everyone is on the Bulls, Magic or Rockets, there were few spurs fans like me back then who chose and liked a team freely and not because everyone else is in the bandwagon. I am not from the US as well.

adonis827
01-05-2021, 12:30 PM
^ I have to disagree above. Jordan already has a chip in 1991 and everyone was watching the NBA primarily because of the Bulls before the 1992 dream team. Jordan unmistakably the most popular baller during that time (even among the dream teamers) has a big hand in making the nba more global. I might even say that Jordan contributed big to the dream team's popularity and I doubt any US basketball team came close to their popularity.

adonis827
01-05-2021, 12:33 PM
Even though, I still choose Robinson and the Spurs even if they are not as popular as Jordan and the Bulls

DRob_50
01-05-2021, 01:05 PM
Long time and knowledgeable Spurs fans, what do you think?

https://youtu.be/G_5ZhbbDvQg

Thanks very much for posting this. It’s probably the most thorough analysis of his game I’ve seen.
He’s still my all time favorite player and was the reason I became a Spurs fan, despite having no direct ties to San Antonio.

He and later Tim Duncan were the embodiment of the organization’s character and substance over style culture I prefer rooting for.

John B
01-05-2021, 01:29 PM
I also became a Spurs fan because of DRob. Coming from the Philippines in the Summer of 1988, I never heard of the Spurs. They rarely televised the small market teams in the Philippines, only the Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, etc. And the 21-61 record didn't help much to make me a fan. But there was the anticipation for a 7'1 Navy guy, who was the #1 draft pick, still finishing his tour. And finally he came. He was more than I expected. Never have I seen a big moved like a guard, who could rebound, dribble the length of the court, and finished with a dunk. Spurs made the biggest turnaround that year, and I became a fan. Yes, David could had more basketball accolades. But I don't think he wanted them that badly. Because basketball was NOT the only thing for David Robinson. As I remember, he likes to play sax, piano, etc. And as gifted as he was, I always thought he never had that ump to win in the next level. With Kobe, Jordan, Timmy, you can see it in their eyes. But David was TOO NICE. He never would step on a guy's throat to finish him. Not David. But I'm still a big fan. And while Timmy is the Spurs GOAT, Iceman was yesteryears' icon, Manu my all time favorite, and Tony was pretty bad ass too, it was David Robinson who put San Antonio in the map.

daslicer
01-05-2021, 01:41 PM
David's body wasn't built to being a post up player like some are saying that he could have learned to post up if he had better coaching earlier on like Tim did. Tim had a few things physically that David didn't have which was that he had wider shoulders and great upper body strength. Look at some of the videos of Tim physically boxing out Shaq or Shaq trying to post up Tim. Shaq had to make more of an effort to bulldoze Tim than he did against other guys which shows you how deceptively strong Tim was. Tim was also had big ass hands. I remember Sean Elliot once saying in an interview that Duncan's hands were as big as Jordan and Shaq's which allowed him to do a lot when it came to posting up.

DRob_50
01-05-2021, 02:42 PM
David's body wasn't built to being a post up player like some are saying that he could have learned to post up if he had better coaching earlier on like Tim did. Tim had a few things physically that David didn't have which was that he had wider shoulders and great upper body strength. Look at some of the videos of Tim physically boxing out Shaq or Shaq trying to post up Tim. Shaq had to make more of an effort to bulldoze Tim than he did against other guys which shows you how deceptively strong Tim was. Tim was also had big ass hands. I remember Sean Elliot once saying in an interview that Duncan's hands were as big as Jordan and Shaq's which allowed him to do a lot when it came to posting up.

I agree that the boxing out was a weaker aspect of David’s game, though I feel it had more to do with inadequate lower body strength which would have helped him maintain position.
If anything he looked a little like one of those athletes who placed a little too much emphasis on the upper body and “skipped leg day”, at least relative to the other great centers of his time.

daslicer
01-05-2021, 03:13 PM
I agree that the boxing out was a weaker aspect of David’s game, though I feel it had more to do with inadequate lower body strength which would have helped him maintain position.
If anything he looked a little like one of those athletes who placed a little too much emphasis on the upper body and “skipped leg day”, at least relative to the other great centers of his time.

Dave was the reason I became a Spurs fan way back in '94 but I could always tell from watching Tim post up guys and the way he boxed out that Tim just had greater strength. Recently I watched game 2 of '01 WCF where Tim lit up the Lakers for 40 points but ended up losing to the Lakers. Tim guarded Shaq from the start of the game. One of the commentators mentions that Tim insisted that he wanted to guard Shaq and that to have Dave guard Grant/Horry. I found it interesting that Tim had more confidence in himself guarding Shaq then Dave but I think that had to do with Tim knowing he had greater strength to push Shaq out of his post up spots.

MoSpur02
01-05-2021, 03:30 PM
Great video. Thanks for sharing. He is my all time favorite Spur. My older brother took me to games in the old Hemisfair Arena when the Spurs has Cadillac Anderson, Alvin Robertson, and Johnny Moore, but I didn’t really like the Spurs. Then I remember the Spurs drafting David Robinson and remembered the local news media going nuts over him and thought, “okay...let’s see what the big deal is.” I fell in love with the Spurs once I saw him play. I was a huge Magic Johnson fan and huge Michael Jordan fan, but Robinson took their place as my favorite quickly.

DRob_50
01-05-2021, 04:35 PM
I wasn’t surprised when Jackson’s nonsense on the ‘99 championship was quickly picked up by the media and often repeated. I couldn’t help laughing when DRob spurned Phil’s handshake at the all star-game the following year.
That ‘99 team was definitely one of my favorites.

SpursDynasty85
01-05-2021, 04:55 PM
Great video. Shows his faults and strengths very well. Thanks for posting. DRob was a force but could’ve been even better with a Rod Strickland instead of Avery. :P

Ice009
01-05-2021, 07:04 PM
I guess a lot of us were the same age! I am a Spurs fan as well because of Robinson. While everyone is on the Bulls, Magic or Rockets, there were few spurs fans like me back then who chose and liked a team freely and not because everyone else is in the bandwagon. I am not from the US as well.

Interesting that a lot of us aren't in the US. At the time, most of my friends were also Bulls/Jordan fans, and yeah, friends and other people I knew that weren't Bulls fans usually also liked the Magic and Rockets.

SpurPadre
01-05-2021, 07:08 PM
Chalk me up as another person without any San Antonio or Texas ties who became an eventual life-long Spurs fan because of The Admiral. I happened to change the channel one afternoon and tuned in to the Spurs vs. Suns in their 1993 playoff series and found myself awestruck by his play and how much he carried the team. Yeah, they lost that series in heartbreaking fashion but I instantly became a rabid fan of his and loved his character off the court as the classiest athlete I had ever seen. I never looked back. I regret not having watched him in the years before that but I only just became a basketball fan that year...and he was the reason why I even started liking basketball then as a 13 year old in San Francisco. I still believe he was the most talented Spurs player of All-Time whose strength of character still inspires the structure of the franchise to this very day.

Ice009
01-05-2021, 07:24 PM
Dave was the reason I became a Spurs fan way back in '94 but I could always tell from watching Tim post up guys and the way he boxed out that Tim just had greater strength. Recently I watched game 2 of '01 WCF where Tim lit up the Lakers for 40 points but ended up losing to the Lakers. Tim guarded Shaq from the start of the game. One of the commentators mentions that Tim insisted that he wanted to guard Shaq and that to have Dave guard Grant/Horry. I found it interesting that Tim had more confidence in himself guarding Shaq then Dave but I think that had to do with Tim knowing he had greater strength to push Shaq out of his post up spots.

I still remember that game like it was yesterday. It was a tough loss as Tim played his ass off and I think he outplayed Shaq most of the time during our losses to the Lakers (game 3 and 4 of that series was the only time he wasn't great). It was usually Kobe that killed us as we didn't have anyone to keep him in check (just shows how deadly of a combination Shaq and Kobe were - too bad they didn't get along and let their egos ruin it. It really was fun going up against those guys). Spurs, most of the time did a fantastic job neutralizing prime Shaq (better than any other team in NBA history). Despite David not having the core strength to hold Shaq (he definitely had the upper body strength), I still recall him being one of the best Shaq defenders of the era. Where did you watch game 2? I thought I recalled David doing a great job on Shaq games 3 and 4 of that series (even though we were blown out), or maybe I'm thinking of the following season ('01/'02). The point is, David was a pretty great defender despite his lower body limitations.

Those of you that say he skipped leg days (it does look like that ;) ) or have gym/weight lifting experience, do you guys think he could have actually improved his lower body strength? I don't know if there is anything he could have done as looking at his upper body, I'd seriously doubt he didn't also work on his legs when training/lifting weights (his upper body was amazing). I am guessing it was the makeup of his body that didn't allow him to do it. I thought I remember reading an article around the time when he was having his back issues, that the doctor said it's the way his body is built is what is leaving him susceptible to the lower body and back injuries. He just didn't have a big enough torso. You are right, though, about him not having the lower body strength to hold Shaq at bay (David did a lot of it with his upper body strength), and also his lower body probably wouldn't have helped him if he did want to be a post player.

The other reason I loved David is, he had no problem stepping aside for Tim on day one. I remember after Tim got to the Spurs, David and Tim has some practices together and he told people in the organization that Tim is already better than he is. I remember the person in the article said something like "what are you talking about David", as if, he couldn't believe that David would say that right away after only just practicing with the guy a few times. I wish those two could have played together longer, and/or had a better supporting cast while David was still playing. I loved that 2003 team. We only got to see D-Rob on a talented Spurs team for one season and I loved that season/team (not only for Tim Duncan's amazing season, but also because D-Rob got to finally play on a team with young/upcoming talent for the first time career - edit : I should add I never saw his rookie season team. I do know they had a lot of good talent too before it all fell apart).

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-05-2021, 08:07 PM
As you can guess from my screen name, I’m a huge fan of David Robinson. Lol

Great thread and conversation about one of the best NBA players to grace this earth.

daslicer
01-05-2021, 08:14 PM
I still remember that game like it was yesterday. It was a tough loss as Tim played his ass off and I think he outplayed Shaq most of the time during our losses to the Lakers (game 3 and 4 of that series was the only time he wasn't great). It was usually Kobe that killed us as we didn't have anyone to keep him in check (just shows how deadly of a combination Shaq and Kobe were - too bad they didn't get along and let their egos ruin it. It really was fun going up against those guys). Spurs, most of the time did a fantastic job neutralizing prime Shaq (better than any other team in NBA history). Despite David not having the core strength to hold Shaq (he definitely had the upper body strength), I still recall him being one of the best Shaq defenders of the era. Where did you watch game 2? I thought I recalled David doing a great job on Shaq games 3 and 4 of that series (even though we were blown out), or maybe I'm thinking of the following season ('01/'02). The point is, David was a pretty great defender despite his lower body limitations.

Those of you that say he skipped leg days (it does look like that ;) ) or have gym/weight lifting experience, do you guys think he could have actually improved his lower body strength? I don't know if there is anything he could have done as looking at his upper body, I'd seriously doubt he didn't also work on his legs when training/lifting weights (his upper body was amazing). I am guessing it was the makeup of his body that didn't allow him to do it. I thought I remember reading an article around the time when he was having his back issues, that the doctor said it's the way his body is built is what is leaving him susceptible to the lower body and back injuries. He just didn't have a big enough torso. You are right, though, about him not having the lower body strength to hold Shaq at bay (David did a lot of it with his upper body strength), and also his lower body probably wouldn't have helped him if he did want to be a post player.

The other reason I loved David is, he had no problem stepping aside for Tim on day one. I remember after Tim got to the Spurs, David and Tim has some practices together and he told people in the organization that Tim is already better than he is. I remember the person in the article said something like "what are you talking about David", as if, he couldn't believe that David would say that right away after only just practicing with the guy a few times. I wish those two could have played together longer, and/or had a better supporting cast while David was still playing. I loved that 2003 team. We only got to see D-Rob on a talented Spurs team for one season and I loved that season/team (not only for Tim Duncan's amazing season, but also because D-Rob got to finally play on a team with young/upcoming talent for the first time career - edit : I should add I never saw his rookie season team. I do know they had a lot of good talent too before it all fell apart).

Originally when I first watched game 2 I was a senior in hschool. Recently I watched it again on youtube. It's a game I'm guilty of watching a bunch of times only because Tim looked so amazing in that game despite losing. Dave got lit up by Shaq badly in game 3. Shaq had 35 point on close to 70 percent shooting but to Daves credit he also had 24 points on 55 percent shooting. Shaq also lit up David in game 4 but I don't criticize Dave for not being able to contain him since he was past his prime by then. Dave did great job on Shaq in '99 when he was still in his prime. Dave earlier in his career also used to light up Shaq and that was the reason why I actually became a fan of Dave. I remember watching a magic game back in the spring of '94 on NBC and being in awe as a 10 year old watching Dave bust Shaq's ass. Dave couldn't counter Shaq's post ups like Tim but when he was healthy he was very good at using his quickness to force Shaq into turnovers and was very good at ball denial on Shaq.

The '03 team was my favorite championship team out of the 5. That season was magical for few reasons. Getting to see Dave go out on top was amazing. Seeing Tim win back to back MVP's along with seeing a new generation of spurs supporting cast in Parker/Manu/Bowen. The pieces were in a place to win multiple titles in which they did. I do wish Dave's back could have held up longer and he could played a few years. I do believe with a healthy Dave the Spurs would have beaten the Lakers again in '04 despite them adding that ring whore Malone.

DRob_50
01-05-2021, 10:05 PM

It’s great seeing all these comments from fans who started following the Spurs at the beginning of the D-Rob era. Being outside of Texas, I always felt like the only Spurs fan around, everywhere I was.

Regarding your comment on lower body strength, he might have been at a disadvantage due to having disproportionately long legs and a shorter torso. I can relate from personal experience, it takes a lot more leg work with those proportions (Though I’m 6’5 not 7’1” lol) to build a balanced physique. As a result, I’m also something of a leg day skipper myself lol.

J_Paco
01-06-2021, 12:03 AM
Ben Taylor is easily the best NBA podcaster/Youtuber out there. Someone put me on to his site (backpicks.com), YouTube channel (Thinking Basketball), podcast (same name as channel) and book (same name as channel & book).

He is essentially the TiMVP of the NBA commentating community, IMO.

Note: He'll also be covering Timmy in a few weeks as he goes through the "greatest peaks in NBA history."

lefty
01-06-2021, 12:59 AM
Ben Taylor is easily the best NBA podcaster/Youtuber out there. Someone put me on to his site (backpicks.com), YouTube channel (Thinking Basketball), podcast (same name as channel) and book (same name as channel & book).

He is essentially the TiMVP of the NBA commentating community, IMO.

Note: He'll also be covering Timmy in a few weeks as he goes through the "greatest peaks in NBA history."

:tu

Thomas82
01-06-2021, 02:01 AM
Great video. Shows his faults and strengths very well. Thanks for posting. DRob was a force but could’ve been even better with a Rod Strickland instead of Avery. :P

You can thank Red McCombs for that one.

gilmor
01-06-2021, 03:53 AM
Most important DRob's role - Mentoring Tim. And no ego issue whatsoever.