PDA

View Full Version : blow it up

gambit1990
01-06-2021, 03:52 AM
no point in making the playoffs. this team isn't going to improve internally enough to all of a sudden become a contender next year or the year after.

move demar, la, gay. winning regular season games isn't important. it hurts the team's future tbh.

it's long past time for the spurs to get real.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-06-2021, 04:08 AM
Meh. Young players rarely develop when being in 20 point losses every night. Better to play actual competitive games.

Also, it's not like they'd get something significant for half a season rentals of Aldridge, Gay or DDR without compromising future cap space.

John B
01-06-2021, 09:15 AM
Whatever it is, I’m not breaking this young core. They like to play together, and playing competitive games will only help their development, and not from garbage time losing 20 points. Spurs need everything that they can get from the veterans to remain competitive. But if a tanking team would take any of our expiring contracts for a Draymond, then it’s the best situation. Otherwise, Spurs have 80mil come free agency to lure a Collins or a 20/10 guy, and a bruiser big like Baynes. I would keep Mills if he’s taking the minimum. The jury is out on Demar if he can continue to play good with the young guys. But Aldridge, Gay and Lyles can go. Spurs can shop around their expiring contracts for what they can get, but I’m not breaking the young core in a package.

look_at_g_shred
01-06-2021, 09:17 AM
Whatever it is, I’m not breaking this young core. They like to play together, and playing competitive games will only help their development, and not from garbage time losing 20 points. Spurs need everything that they can get from the veterans to remain competitive. But if a tanking team would take any of our expiring contracts for a Draymond, then it’s the best situation. Otherwise, Spurs have 80mil come free agency to lure a Collins or a 20/10 guy, and a bruiser big like Baynes. I would keep Mills if he’s taking the minimum. The jury is out on Demar if he can continue to play good with the young guys. But Aldridge, Gay and Lyles can go. Spurs can shop around their expiring contracts for what they can get, but I’m not breaking the young core in a package.
I think it's somewhere in the mid 30's cap space wise after the white contract..right?

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-06-2021, 09:25 AM
I think it's somewhere in the mid 30's cap space wise after the white contract..right?

They have $57 mil committed for 8 players if they renounce everyone. Add the 1st round pick and min cap holds and they're looking at somewhere between 40 and 50 mil in cap space depending on what the salary cap will be.

John B
01-06-2021, 09:29 AM
They have $57 mil committed for 8 players if they renounce everyone. Add the 1st round pick and min cap holds and they're looking at somewhere between 40 and 50 mil in cap space depending on what the salary cap will be.
oh yeah there’s White. Well that’s why you guys are there :toast

look_at_g_shred
01-06-2021, 09:56 AM
oh yeah there’s White. Well that’s why you guys are there :toast
It should be enough for Collins if he so chooses the spurs. Also, allen from BKN wouldn't be a bad target either and should be cheaper.

Dejounte
01-06-2021, 09:57 AM
It should be enough for Collins if he so chooses the spurs. Also, allen from BKN wouldn't be a bad target either and should be cheaper.

Jarrett Allen is seeking Capela money, I've read.

John B
01-06-2021, 10:57 AM
Collins is playing well with Tre right now. With Okongwu, they would be fun to watch. Our young core needs to compete well to attract better talent.

Prime BEEF
01-06-2021, 11:00 AM
Would love to get Collins and Allen. Think they would complement each other well in the front court

John B
01-06-2021, 11:08 AM
We might already have that 20/10 guy in Keldon and Vassell could move into the starting lineup at 3. Spurs would need an Allen to secure the rim. No need to blow this team, they have a lot of options. And there’s still Luka if he pans out.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-06-2021, 11:41 AM

Agreed.

I don't think our expiring contracts are going to net us a lot in return, so unless we can get younger talented upgrades without jeopardizing the ability to re-sign our own younger players, I don't see us doing too much with trades this season. Who knows, maybe some team will get desperate to make the playoffs and offer something decent for one of our vets. I don't see it happening though.

John B
01-06-2021, 11:59 AM
Agreed.

I don't think our expiring contracts are going to net us a lot in return, so unless we can get younger talented upgrades without jeopardizing the ability to re-sign our own younger players, I don't see us doing too much with trades this season. Who knows, maybe some team will get desperate to make the playoffs and offer something decent for one of our vets. I don't see it happening though.

I don't see Collins choosing Spurs over playing with Tre/Okongwu, but he could prefer Dubs for a chance to play with Curry and Klay, if Dubs have the money. Dubs can move Draymond for our expiring contracts. And they get a chance on other FA's, even probably Kawhi?? Draymond would fit perfectly with our defensive core.

Thomas82
01-06-2021, 03:41 PM
We might already have that 20/10 guy in Keldon and Vassell could move into the starting lineup at 3. Spurs would need an Allen to secure the rim. No need to blow this team, they have a lot of options. And there’s still Luka if he pans out.

You really see Keldon getting 20 points and 10 rebounds a night consistently at his size?

John B
01-06-2021, 05:22 PM
You really see Keldon getting 20 points and 10 rebounds a night consistently at his size?
Barkley was 6'4. I don't want to prematurely compare Keldon to a HOF, but in todays NBA which averages 130 pts, 20/10 is not far off for a starting PF.
But my point is, Keldon could be the center piece to build on.

Gagnrath
01-06-2021, 06:37 PM
Barkley was 6'4. I don't want to prematurely compare Keldon to a HOF, but in todays NBA which averages 130 pts, 20/10 is not far off for a starting PF.
But my point is, Keldon could be the center piece to build on.

Keldon isn't built to be a center piece.... He is built as a decent, versatile combo forward. A quality second scorer on a contender any team that tries to build a contender around him is going to be a bit disappointed because he doesn't have the size to be dominant at the 4 or the speed to dominate at the 3. I like the guy.... He has quality starter written all over him some days he will carry a team but it's not a night in night out thing.

cd021
01-06-2021, 06:44 PM
My idea of a successful season, at this point, is seeing KJ, Murray and Walker play at least 30 mpg and getting consistent minutes from Vassell. A top 10 pick to boot would certainly be nice tbh.

John B
01-06-2021, 06:57 PM
Keldon isn't built to be a center piece.... He is built as a decent, versatile combo forward. A quality second scorer on a contender any team that tries to build a contender around him is going to be a bit disappointed because he doesn't have the size to be dominant at the 4 or the speed to dominate at the 3. I like the guy.... He has quality starter written all over him some days he will carry a team but it's not a night in night out thing.

But I don't agree that Keldon will just be a PF. Great players transcend to positionless players.

Obi Juan Kenobi
01-06-2021, 07:16 PM
Its way too early to give up on the youngsters...this season will be a great learning experience from them to grow as professional basketball players...holding on to last night's victory will be a great lesson for their development...

SpursDynasty85
01-07-2021, 11:39 AM
I jumped on board the tank wagon. I want them to play all their young players first regardless of victory but I can see how that kind of atmosphere would cause tension amongst veterans who never signed up for that and now are on contract years. There are a couple of reasons to go about trying to make the playoffs.

1) Teaches younger guys the pressure of making the playoffs
2) Cements the Spurs culture of making sure they do right by their veterans and especially those that they recently signed in free-agency (older vets gravitate towards Spurs which is a good thing to have)
3 Spurs might be keying in on a few free agents that will only sign if they feel they can contend. The only convincing would be if the young core can perform in pressure situations such as a playoff push or actually in the playoffs.

Negatives:
Lower draft picks
Less playing time for young core.

It wold be a tough internal decision as the latter would sort of breakdown what they've built so far. After the preseason I was all in on the tank but after seeing a few games of the regular season, this seems fine for now.

itzsoweezee
01-07-2021, 01:23 PM
If you're a 10 seed-quality team and not trying to get a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft, you're doing it wrong and deserve to be fired.

Rummpd
01-07-2021, 08:15 PM
Said this a year ago but agree

tonight...you
01-07-2021, 08:29 PM
Never underestimate giant desire.
And he exudes it.

rankingtear
01-07-2021, 09:16 PM
If you're a 10 seed-quality team and not trying to get a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft, you're doing it wrong and deserve to be fired.

Not if you turn three 29 picks into top 10 players of their class.

Thomas82
01-08-2021, 12:19 AM
Said this a year ago but agree

I've been saying it since 2018 myself.

RC_Drunkford
01-08-2021, 12:28 AM
No reason to blow it up, the team is playing well and that’s without White

Mr. Body
01-08-2021, 12:31 AM

Really fucking impressive, if you ask me.

John B
01-08-2021, 12:31 AM
That lost from the Jazz was really the only bad game they had. And playing after competiting high against the Lakers, that could happen.

itzsoweezee
01-08-2021, 01:10 AM

Who cares.

duncan2k5
01-08-2021, 08:20 AM
No reason to blow it up, the team is playing well and that’s without White

U wanna go through this AGAIN?? We tried this already! Let's run it back to MAYBE make the playoffs to get smashed first round? Get these old fucks outta here

RC_Drunkford
01-08-2021, 08:39 AM
U wanna go through this AGAIN?? We tried this already! Let's run it back to MAYBE make the playoffs to get smashed first round? Get these old fucks outta here

you want to complain about the same shit again? Go pack your bags and get the fuck outtahere

gambit1990
01-08-2021, 10:55 PM

Ice009
01-09-2021, 12:21 AM
I don't believe tanking and playing in big losses improves anyone. Tony Parker doesn't become TP playing in low stake games getting blown out by 20 every night IMO. Playing in higher pressure, or at least competitive games can bring out the best in someone (or not), but I think that is much better for building up good talented young players than if they were to play in games that mean nothing.

rankingtear
01-09-2021, 08:54 AM
I think it was close that Wiggins would be closing our games for us. They did try to blow it up.

More likely bad contract coming back since salaries are high.

BillMc
01-09-2021, 08:59 AM
Nah, keep tryin' to win. Teaching the young guys to lose is never a good thing.

We actually have a pretty good mixture of youth and experience in our rotation.

south side spur
01-09-2021, 05:26 PM
Kawhi knob slobbers are out in full force. Spurs are rebuilding on the fly and they’re melting down. KJ’s development is weakening the supposed raping of the Spurs with the Kawhi trade argument. I don’t blame them though after that all time choke job vs Denver and then the article exposing their hero they should be on the defensive.

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:14 PM
you keep trying to win with the youth. let them fight for a playoff spot and fail. it'll make them hungrier.

trade the vets.

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:15 PM
literally: do what okc did / is doing.

Dejounte
01-09-2021, 08:19 PM

Yeah, because they're soooo successful.

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:26 PM
that's not the point :lmao

they didn't move cp3 because they thought they'd be better without him. they got three draft picks from moving him. also got picks for adams.

Dejounte
01-09-2021, 08:27 PM

they didn't move cp3 because they thought they'd be better without him. they got three draft picks from moving him. also got picks for adams.

It is the point. Picks don't mean success. Let's not make you a GM anytime soon, okay?

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:33 PM
It is the point. Picks don't mean success. Let's not make you a GM anytime soon, okay?
neither does this roster.

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:34 PM
and check out who your profile pick is of.

raptors traded a draft pick to the spurs for kawhi. and that became keldon :lol

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:35 PM
devaluing draft picks :lmao

and just because you have them doesn't mean you have to use them. they're still tradable.

Dejounte
01-09-2021, 08:36 PM

An abundance of picks is what I obviously meant. Bruh you're the same dude who wanted Howard. Your judgment on these things is pretty bad. Just stop.

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:39 PM
Bruh you're the same dude who wanted Howard. Your judgment on these things is pretty bad. Just stop.
he signed for vet minimum. much better value than drew eubanks.

don't even act for a second like i ever said the spurs should a lot of money at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scEItF90n58

Dejounte
01-09-2021, 08:41 PM
he signed for vet minimum. much better value than drew eubanks.

don't even act for a second like i ever said the spurs should a lot of money at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scEItF90n58

Yes, you did. You can't even own up to your awful takes. Somehow you have selective memory about stuff you've been way off about.

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:43 PM
Yes, you did. You can't even own up to your awful takes. Somehow you have selective memory about stuff you've been way off about.
PLEASE bump me saying the spurs should throw a lot of money at dwight howard :lmao:lmao:lmao

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:44 PM
i definitely said sign him, yeah. i NEVER said throw a lot of money at him which is my point.

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:51 PM
it's funny that even now you don't think the spurs could use howard :lol

gambit1990
01-09-2021, 08:54 PM
this is me being right:

i've been a big montrezl fan but sign dwight howard instead. he's size the spurs need. and will be cheaper.
howard signed for the vet minimum.

this is you being wrong:

There is no way Montrezl is signing for the MLE so not sure why people are saying it

As Bobby Marks of ESPN outlines (via Twitter (https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1329980249241767940)), with Harrell getting the full MLE

Dejounte
01-09-2021, 08:59 PM
this is me being right:

howard signed for the vet minimum.

this is you being wrong:

I never said I was never wrong. In fact, I always take accountability. I'll dig up your shit after the game.

rah88sa
01-11-2021, 01:25 PM
Yeah I'm sure Dwight would have wanted to come play for peanuts in San Antonio for a lottery team.

I don't get how you can make a thread about blowing it up and argue that the Spurs should go after a 35 year old Dwight Howard.

DeRozan m8
01-14-2021, 09:53 PM
It's time

cjw
01-14-2021, 10:06 PM
Eh, they got outplayed by a pissed off team. It happens.

KaiRMD1
01-14-2021, 10:19 PM
I mean, aren't the Spurs already blown up?

Chomag
01-14-2021, 11:05 PM
I mean, aren't the Spurs already blown up?:nutkick:

RD2191
01-14-2021, 11:11 PM
You are what your record says you are. We're a .500 team, we might sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed but I HIGHLY doubt it.

KaiRMD1
01-14-2021, 11:12 PM
You are what your record says you are. We're a .500 team, we might sneak into the playoffs as an 8th seed but I HIGHLY doubt it.

Man, that's this team's championship, just eeking into the playoffs and I'll take it but you're right.

offset formation
01-14-2021, 11:26 PM

I think we are a #6 seed with a healthy White.

gambit1990
01-15-2021, 01:17 AM
rockets didn't have john wall... idk what any of you think you see in this team.

gambit1990
01-15-2021, 01:18 AM
to everyone who doesn't want to blow this up... demar and la are FAs after the season ends. spurs could get something back for them or just let them walk.

who cares about getting bounced in the playoffs?

DeRozan m8
01-15-2021, 02:17 AM
rockets didn't have john wall... idk what any of you think you see in this team.

Didn't have Gordon either

Was basically their youth against our youth and vets

gambit1990
01-17-2021, 06:26 AM
bumping this for when the wizards beat the spurs.

PrimeMinister
01-17-2021, 04:29 PM
bumping this for when the wizards beat the spurs.

Keep bumping but the real reason we can't "blow it up" is no one is giving up anything of value for Lamarcus, Demar has no place on most contending teams or the fringe contenders who might want him don't have the salary to match or value in return to justify taking bad contracts. A team like the Magic or Hawks aren't taking Demar and running the risk of losing him for nothing- it's the same situation we are in now. Patty and Rudy are our most tradeable assets but I don't see Pop moving Patty and Rudy probably doesn't fetch much of anything.

The blow up window was before last season. It's gone now and we have to live with a really thin market for our vets who are all now expiring.

Atl Spur
01-17-2021, 05:22 PM
There’s always Kyrie............ I’m think the nets would take Derozan.

Gagnrath
01-18-2021, 06:57 AM
There’s always Kyrie............ I’m think the nets would take Derozan.
See taking an eccentric basket case, on a questionable deal is a good idea....
Kyrie is going to turn into the Rickie Williams of basketball.

Gagnrath
01-18-2021, 07:06 AM
Keep bumping but the real reason we can't "blow it up" is no one is giving up anything of value for Lamarcus, Demar has no place on most contending teams or the fringe contenders who might want him don't have the salary to match or value in return to justify taking bad contracts. A team like the Magic or Hawks aren't taking Demar and running the risk of losing him for nothing- it's the same situation we are in now. Patty and Rudy are our most tradeable assets but I don't see Pop moving Patty and Rudy probably doesn't fetch much of anything.

The blow up window was before last season. It's gone now and we have to live with a really thin market for our vets who are all now expiring.

If before the trade deadline LMA gets in shape and starts looking like he did in 2018-19 on defense there are a handful of teams that might toss us a low first and a mediocre prospect in addition to cap filler for him. Otherwise they just wait for the off season. He's looking pretty done as a starting center at this point. However he has always been known as a somewhat bad off season guy.

DeMar seems to like it here with the young guys and also seems to know his market value which is why he potted in to the end of hit Toronto contract. He'll get bids on the off season, I am expecting that we end up with him for another 3 on something like 18, 16.8, 16.3 team option.

KingKev
01-18-2021, 07:50 AM
If before the trade deadline LMA gets in shape and starts looking like he did in 2018-19 on defense there are a handful of teams that might toss us a low first and a mediocre prospect in addition to cap filler for him. Otherwise they just wait for the off season. He's looking pretty done as a starting center at this point. However he has always been known as a somewhat bad off season guy.

DeMar seems to like it here with the young guys and also seems to know his market value which is why he potted in to the end of hit Toronto contract. He'll get bids on the off season, I am expecting that we end up with him for another 3 on something like 18, 16.8, 16.3 team option.

you are absolutely dreaming. LMA will not fetch a first, a young player plus obligatory filler unless that matching contract is a bad contract and longer deal. Your DDR expectations are not even worth retorting; be prepared to be disappointed.

Thomas82
01-18-2021, 10:13 AM

I just cringe at the thought of us running the same team back again next year.

look_at_g_shred
01-18-2021, 10:26 AM
See taking an eccentric basket case, on a questionable deal is a good idea....
Kyrie is going to turn into the Kanye West of basketball.

Prime BEEF
01-18-2021, 11:39 AM
I just cringe at the thought of us running the same team back again next year.
Man if they resign DDR and LMA? Holy shit. Just stick a fork in it. That poster who’s always talking about the spurs moving may get his wish if that happens

Prime BEEF
01-18-2021, 11:44 AM
you are absolutely dreaming. LMA will not fetch a first, a young player plus obligatory filler unless that matching contract is a bad contract and longer deal. Your DDR expectations are not even worth retorting; be prepared to be disappointed.
I think you could get a 1st rd pick for LMA but you’d also have to take on a bad contract. The beloved GS trade is a great example. But how bad do you want that 1st? Are you willing to take on shitty contracts like Wiggins etc to do it?

I know the GS trade isn’t happening anymore just using it as an example. You can get a 1st for LMA but the price is trading his expiring contract for a shitty one.

I’m ok with taking in a shit contract for a high draft pick. The spurs have had shitty contracts for a long time now so it would be just more of the same. Might as well get a good young talent too.

Ocotillo
01-18-2021, 12:16 PM
I wonder if that Golden State deal was ever real or just ST figment based on a rumor the Warriors were looking to try and use it to move Wiggins contract?

RC_Drunkford
01-18-2021, 12:21 PM
People thinking you could resign DeRozan for 18 Million per year :lmao :lmao

more like 30 Million which he’s not worth :lol

Thomas82
01-18-2021, 05:42 PM
Man if they resign DDR and LMA? Holy shit. Just stick a fork in it. That poster who’s always talking about the spurs moving may get his wish if that happens

Yeah man, I don't even want to think about it.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-18-2021, 05:46 PM
People thinking you could resign DeRozan for 18 Million per year :lmao :lmao

more like 30 Million which he’s not worth :lol

Yeah DDR is will get a Hayward type deal.

r0drig0lac
01-18-2021, 07:06 PM
Yeah DDR is will get a Hayward type deal.

and probably MJ will take him to Hornets if he gets the chance

CGD
01-18-2021, 07:53 PM
All the more reason to sell high on our vets. My concern is teams see this as another lost season, so what’s the point.

B1gduff
01-21-2021, 04:20 PM
its time, this team certainly does look like a playoff team (6-8th seat) but thats about it.
We're heading into a draft with loaded talent, and have pieces that we can trade for pick.

Demar: easily can get us a pick
Patty: shooters are always wanted
Rudy: bench option and he's playing really well.

BackHome
01-21-2021, 06:34 PM
But the problem with the Spurs they won't do a trade it's just not good for Culture

gambit1990
02-02-2021, 08:28 AM
welcome aboard.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-03-2021, 11:36 AM
welcome aboard.

I realized you have almost the same thread posted 3 weeks later. Maybe you should combine your single thought into a single thread.

HankChinaski
02-03-2021, 12:41 PM
Eh, I only pay attention to a couple posters on here. The majority usually are either cliffjump, over react, or are just griefers.

Spurtacular
02-03-2021, 06:23 PM
:lol It already is blown up.

Rummpd
02-03-2021, 08:02 PM
FO blew it by not trading veterans last year and re-signing Jakob the stiff.

RD2191
02-03-2021, 10:04 PM
:wakeup

gambit1990
12-29-2021, 01:39 AM
bump.

pop is drunk. if the spurs were serious about making the playoffs then thad would be playing more... but again, what is even the point of trying to make the playoffs ?

keep keldon, jock, murray.

gambit1990
12-29-2021, 01:55 AM
Picks don't mean success. Let's not make you a GM anytime soon, okay?

neither does this roster.
no one on this site should be surprised i was right.

me = get picks for vets
you = no, don't

:lol

devaluing draft picks :lmao

and just because you have them doesn't mean you have to use them. they're still tradable.

JeffDuncan
12-29-2021, 04:18 AM
bump.

pop is drunk. if the spurs were serious about making the playoffs then thad would be playing more...

No, if they were serious about making the playoffs, they wouldn’t have traded for Thad, and Aminu, in the first place. That’s $24M in cap space, and competent organizations can do good things with that kind of money.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-29-2021, 04:25 AM
No, if they were serious about making the playoffs, they wouldn’t have traded for Thad, and Aminu, in the first place. That’s $24M in cap space, and competent organizations can do good things with that kind of money.

Like getting a couple of picks for it? Presti, for example, got a first round pick for the privilege of waiving and paying Kemba $54 million.

KingKev
12-29-2021, 04:35 AM

I just hope they get compensated better the next time they look to rent cap space. This summer is looking like another offseason where few teams have room under the cap to make moves. It’s also a thin free agent market. Barring a deadline trade by the Spurs they will be well positioned to help win now teams to make moves.

JeffDuncan
12-29-2021, 05:16 AM
Like getting a couple of picks for it? Presti, for example, got a first round pick for the privilege of waiving and paying Kemba $54 million.

You failed to mention that OKC moved Horford off their books in that deal. And other factors. As to whether OKC can be considered competent, only time will tell. They are currently fielding a bad team, but with a strategy of tanking and accumulating draft picks - while the lack of a longer term strategy continues to be a complaint about the Spurs.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-29-2021, 05:32 AM
You failed to mention that OKC moved Horford off their books in that deal. And other factors. As to whether OKC can be considered competent, only time will tell. They are currently fielding a bad team, but with a strategy of tanking and accumulating draft picks - while the lack of a longer term strategy continues to be a complaint about the Spurs.

Horford is still a starting caliber NBA player, even if overpaid. Didn't mention him because they essentially moved a starting caliber player for a player they've paid $54 mil to waive. They also got Favors's $20 mil on their books for a first , while sending a SRP the other way.

I'm not saying that's good or bad on Presti's part. But this is the context of what last summer's business was like, which makes it difficult for the Spurs to do much better with the DDR deal or the cap space they'd have had they not done it. My point is that a FRP, 2 seconds + whatever they get for Thad was a good use of that cap space, considering the circumstances.

Dejounte
12-29-2021, 07:03 AM
no one on this site should be surprised i was right.

me = get picks for vets
you = no, don't

:lol

Why are you obsessed with bumping your own posts? You’re either 5 years old or have an extreme mental illness like narcissistic personality disorder. Go get help and stop seeking attention on this board.

gambit1990
01-01-2022, 09:56 PM
keep keldon, jock, murray.
pull the plug on the rest of the roster.

Tyronn Lue
12-20-2023, 07:16 PM
For those with short memories, "blow it up" was a thing. Now you have to live with it being blown up.

BackHome
12-20-2023, 08:46 PM
Yep, when you rip the band aid off it's going to bleed pretty quick - People need to realize it's going to take more then two years to get back into Champion type life for us.

gambit1990
12-21-2023, 04:09 AM
For those with short memories, "blow it up" was a thing. Now you have to live with it being blown up.

Yep, when you rip the band aid off it's going to bleed pretty quick - People need to realize it's going to take more then two years to get back into Champion type life for us.
the point of this thread was for the spurs to get more value for players than i knew they would ultimately end up getting:

no point in making the playoffs. this team isn't going to improve internally enough to all of a sudden become a contender next year or the year after.

move demar, la, gay. winning regular season games isn't important. it hurts the team's future tbh.

it's long past time for the spurs to get real.
the spurs ended up buying lamarcus out, rudy gay left in the offseason.

for derozan they got thad young, aminu, a protected 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks.

and according to sports illustrated i'm only seeing a 1st round pick & a 2nd round pick from the bulls.

the league knew the spurs were desperate to move on from demar that offseason, which drove his trade value down.

the spurs could've gotten a lot more from those three if they actually blew it up when i posted this.

gambit1990
12-21-2023, 04:10 AM
but the spurs landed wemby, it is what it is.

Thomas82
12-22-2023, 12:55 AM
but the spurs landed wemby, it is what it is.

But they'll lose him if they don't tighten it up.

gambit1990
12-23-2023, 04:56 AM
you keep trying to win with the youth. let them fight for a playoff spot and fail. it'll make them hungrier.
trade the vets.

:lol damn, this is rich as fück :lol

gambit1990
12-23-2023, 05:03 AM
okc currently 2nd in the west and has amassed the deepest collection of draft picks in NBA history going forward.

tbdog
12-23-2023, 08:23 AM
okc currently 2nd in the west and has amassed the deepest collection of draft picks in NBA history going forward.

The PG trade made that happen. It was a 2 for 1 deal for the clippers and Thunder took everything. Toronto were also bidding. PG wasn't worth that but clippers would get Leonard if they got PG.

If Thunder didn't get SGA, then where are they?

ambchang
12-23-2023, 08:48 AM
^ true. People tend to overrate the genius of certain front offices for things that just fall on their laps due to fortunate situations that they never really planned for. Granted OKC did mail their draft picks for a few years in a row so kudos to them.

daslicer
12-23-2023, 11:56 AM
The PG trade made that happen. It was a 2 for 1 deal for the clippers and Thunder took everything. Toronto were also bidding. PG wasn't worth that but clippers would get Leonard if they got PG.

They really lucked out with SGA. Nobody believed SGA was going to be as good as he became. I remember the Clippers tried to trade for Kawhi in the summer of '18 and offered SGA in that trade, but the Spurs shot it down and everybody on here including myself didn't want SGA and what they had to offer. I was grossly wrong about SGA, but it goes to show you that he wasn't some can't miss prospect that everybody thought was going to be great. It's hard to spot these hidden gems.

The Truth #6
12-23-2023, 03:37 PM
I wanted us to trade with LAC on draft night, thinking it was our best chance, but that was with the misconception that we would be rebuilding. What followed was a disaster worse than this.

I don't like OKC, but I'm 100% more confident Presti would have shepherded us towards a rebuild better than what we did at the time. Luckily, we have Wemby and assets, so the book hasn't been written yet. But dismissing Presti completely seems silly.

gambit1990
12-23-2023, 05:59 PM

the point of this thread was know when to hold em, know when to fold. spurs could’ve gotten a good deal for demar, lamarcus, rudy gay.

instead the spurs waited to only trade demar. after they reeked of desperation, which resulted in a worse deal.

but like i said before, spurs are where they are. so whatever.

exstatic
12-23-2023, 06:25 PM
the point of this thread was know when to hold em, know when to fold. spurs could’ve gotten a good deal for demar, lamarcus, rudy gay.

instead the spurs waited to only trade demar. after they reeked of desperation, which resulted in a worse deal.

but like i said before, spurs are where they are. so whatever.

Rudy Gay hasn’t brought an asset return as the feature player in a trade since 2013. LMA went from an All Star feature player on a 60 win team to a TOSB in about 12 months. Considering that DeMar was a UFA, the return was outstanding. A FRP and SRP from CHI, plus Thad, who we combined with a SRP to yield another FRP. Not bad at all.