PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs at Timberwolves - Jan. 9, 2021

timvp
01-09-2021, 11:59 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-at-minnesota-timberwolves-game-9/

Starting off the five-game road trip 3-0? Not bad, tbh.

KaiRMD1
01-10-2021, 12:04 AM
Generous with Poeltl

BillMc
01-10-2021, 12:09 AM
Thanks OP. Your grades are why I come here, my friend!

TheGreatYacht
01-10-2021, 12:09 AM
Poeltl deserves an F. I'd rather have Jeffery Lauvergne at this point

GAustex
01-10-2021, 12:10 AM
I have been giving DJM tough love. He has done all the things I have said he needs to do to be effective.
Better ball protection and decision making
Improved 3 point shooting
Using that crossover dribble rise up for the 12 to 15 foot jumper which is really hard to defend and make it. Good for you DJM.

Mr. Body
01-10-2021, 12:11 AM
Spurs with only six turnovers for the second game in a row.

Dhbsr555
01-10-2021, 12:17 AM
Tbh poodle should get a f-

Sugus
01-10-2021, 12:19 AM

This is a huge stat - especially considering we're consistently trailing away from DeMar as the lone ball-handler and initiator on offense, and into a more democratic offensive approach. I wonder how the closing lineups will look like once DWhite gets back, since that's the time where this team's young age starts showing and they tend to panic and make mistakes. But it's encouraging to see the Spurs control the ball more effectively, even if Minny is far from a defensive juggernaut.

XDT76
01-10-2021, 12:24 AM

It would have been lower if poeltl did not panic pass/throw twice.

poopbox
01-10-2021, 01:46 AM
Part of the reason Poeltl got a C is cause he made a free throw :lol

Is OP actually Poeltl :lol

spurs10
01-10-2021, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the grades! Another win and a great OT performance. Hope everyone gets some rest and comes back tomorrow in the groove.

John B
01-10-2021, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. I’m happy for our guys keeping the fight. They are learning to win ballgames very early. I’m specially happy for Demar. Spurs success has a lot to do with him playing superb basketball. He’s been balling and I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes All Star this year, or even All NBA. He didn't connect on the 3 tonight, but he continues to let them fly. The new offense is suiting his game very well. I’m not worried about Aldridge. There were moments that he took it to K-Town. I don’t want him to be in-love with the perimeter game. His defense though is quite iffy as K-Town severally times manhandled him under the rim. Poeltl wasn’t different. Spurs defense for big men seemed to have gotten a hit this year. I hope Spurs figure it out soon. I worry about Poeltl. He seemed to have totally lost confidence on his shot, as you said, he seemed panic to pass the ball quickly before getting fouled and miss sinking the dreaded free throws. Coach Chip really needs to work with him. Patty is playing 6th man of the year candidate and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the award if he continues. Dejaunte could be heading also to All Star if he continues. He is getting better and better, showing leadership and excellent poise. His jumpers are smooth. All in all I’m happy for the whole team getting W for their hard work.

XDT76
01-10-2021, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. I’m happy for our guys keeping the fight. They are learning to win ballgames very early. I’m specially happy for Demar. Spurs success has a lot to do with him playing superb basketball. He’s been balling and I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes All Star this year, or even All NBA. He didn't connect on the 3 tonight, but he continues to let them fly. The new offense is suiting his game very well. I’m not worried about Aldridge. There were moments that he took it to K-Town. I don’t want him to be in-love with the perimeter game. His defense though is quite iffy as K-Town severally times manhandled him under the rim. Poeltl wasn’t different. Spurs defense for big men seemed to have gotten a hit this year. I hope Spurs figure it out soon. I worry about Poeltl. He seemed to have totally lost confidence on his shot, as you said, he seemed panic to pass the ball quickly before getting fouled and miss sinking the dreaded free throws. Coach Chip really needs to work with him. Patty is playing 6th man of the year candidate and I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets the award if he continues. Dejaunte could be heading also to All Star if he continues. He is getting better and better, showing leadership and excellent poise. His jumpers are smooth. All in all I’m happy for the whole team getting W for their hard work.

I hate to burst your bubble the Spurs seldom get 2 All stars even when our big 3 are in their prime. We will be lucky with one this year. Regardless I agree that DDR and DJM had been playing at a very good level so far this year. GSG.

siraulo23
01-10-2021, 04:41 AM
wtf is wrong with Poeltl, worst stretch of games for him as a Spur

Dejounte
01-10-2021, 10:04 AM

I love your posts, bro. If you used paragraphs for each subject (like when you started talking about Poetl and then DJ), it would be great and easier to read

r0drig0lac
01-10-2021, 10:14 AM
as expected, the simple replacement of the worst player in the league (Forbes) and former basketball player Marco by two real players (in this case, one with insane motor and one with defensive iq and shot completely above the media, in Keldon and Vassell) , made this team extremely competitive and fun to watch.

Dejounte
01-10-2021, 10:55 AM
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/keldon-johnson-and-lonnie-walker-iv-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-hifive-picture-id1230507163?s=2048x2048

cjw
01-10-2021, 11:30 AM
Anyone know how Poeltl fared on defense against Towns? He did his job as a rim protector.

He definitely was an F on the offensive end.

Trill Clinton
01-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Poeltl reminds me so much of Splitter on offense. Both throw up baby soft shots 1-2 feet away from the rim.

Mugen
01-10-2021, 12:01 PM
Poeltl reminds me so much of Splitter on offense. Both throw up baby soft shots 1-2 feet away from the rim.

Don't talk about the Golden God like that tbh. The Spurs and Timmy were getting straight up bodied by teams like the Grizzlies before Tiago saved the team and the old man from playing garbage like Bonner/Blair heavy minutes :lol

BillMc
01-10-2021, 12:06 PM
Don't talk about the Golden God like that tbh. The Spurs and Timmy were getting straight up bodied by teams like the Grizzlies before Tiago saved the team and the old man from playing garbage like Bonner/Blair heavy minutes :lol

Yep. Tiago, when healthy, was a key piece. He just had a lot of nagging injuries (back, calf).

John B
01-10-2021, 12:07 PM
I love your posts, bro. If you used paragraphs for each subject (like when you started talking about Poetl and then DJ), it would be great and easier to read
Appreciate that. I do that on my emails at work. Better instructions :lol

John B
01-10-2021, 12:13 PM
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/keldon-johnson-and-lonnie-walker-iv-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-hifive-picture-id1230507163?s=2048x2048
Wow. Keldon looks so massive on this, or Lonnie just not as tall as I thought he was. Lonnie appeared also dwarfed on his pictures with Jrue

John B
01-10-2021, 12:16 PM
Poeltl just doesn’t have any semblance of confidence in his offensive game right now.

John B
01-10-2021, 12:27 PM
I hate to burst your bubble the Spurs seldom get 2 All stars even when our big 3 are in their prime. We will be lucky with one this year. Regardless I agree that DDR and DJM had been playing at a very good level so far this year. GSG.

2015, Aldridge, Leonard
2012, Duncan, Parker
2010, Duncan, Ginobili
2008, Duncan, Parker
2006, Duncan, Parker
2005, Duncan, Parker
2004, Duncan, Ginobili

and there’s also Duncan/Robinson, Robinson/Elliot, Robertson/Gilmore, Gervin/Gilmore, but you get the point.
:bobo

Kurgan
01-10-2021, 12:28 PM

Yup, outside of his rookie season, Tiago hasn't been anywhere near as horrific a free throw shooter as Jakob. I don't understand how anyone can shoot as bad as he does.

ceperez
01-10-2021, 12:30 PM

How tall is Lonnie Walker anyway? He now seems undersized!

XDT76
01-10-2021, 12:32 PM

How legit is this photo? The official Spurs website on NBA listed both as 6ft5. :dizzy

John B
01-10-2021, 12:33 PM
2015, Aldridge, Leonard
2012, Duncan, Parker
2010, Duncan, Ginobili
2008, Duncan, Parker
2006, Duncan, Parker
2005, Duncan, Parker
2004, Duncan, Ginobili

and there’s also Duncan/Robinson, Robinson/Elliot, Robertson/Gilmore, Gervin/Gilmore, Kenon/Gervin but you get the point.
:bobo

Dejounte
01-10-2021, 12:36 PM
How legit is this photo? The official Spurs website on NBA listed both as 6ft5. :dizzy

Bruh no one's photoshop skills are that good.

This is why I've always questioned Lonnie's listed height.

Sugus
01-10-2021, 12:47 PM
Wow. Keldon looks so massive on this, or Lonnie just not as tall as I thought he was. Lonnie appeared also dwarfed on his pictures with Jrue

Keldon's a lot bigger than Lonnie, tbf - also, in this pic in particular, Lonnie is bending his standing knee, whilst Keldon's standing one is fully extended, increasing the height disparity. But the conclusion has been obvious for some time - Lonnie is a true SG or maybe 2.5, whilst Keldon is absolutely a SF with 3.5 build. Both great in their own way, and having that size versatility is huge for the Spurs right now.

SpursDynasty85
01-10-2021, 12:50 PM
Says Lonnie is 6'4.5" without shoes. I'm curious to see if his hair played any part. I will say Lonnie does seem like an amphibian. I feel like he can slump and stretch without effort easily making an inch or two difference in the way he moves.

https://ca.nba.com/news/2018-nba-draft-combine-results-wingspan-vertical-leap-bagley-bamba-young/1995ice9ljhhc1smzcc6ev5vf7

Also, in that photo Lonnie is a bit further away. Can make a bit of a difference as well.

Sugus
01-10-2021, 12:53 PM

Says Lonnie is 6'4.5" without shoes. I'm curious to see if his hair played any part. I will say Lonnie does seem like an amphibian. I feel like he can slump and stretch without effort easily making an inch or two difference in the way he moves.

https://ca.nba.com/news/2018-nba-draft-combine-results-wingspan-vertical-leap-bagley-bamba-young/1995ice9ljhhc1smzcc6ev5vf7

Also, in that photo Lonnie is a bit further away. Can make a bit of a difference as well.

Y'all also gotta take into account that Keldon (reportedly) grew like, over an inch since being drafted. It could very well be Keldon's listed height that needs updating, and not Lonnie's (though I doubt they'll change either one).

Dejounte
01-10-2021, 03:07 PM
I want our offense to develop enough where we can survive with one or two of our core pieces being out (DeMar or LMA). I don't want to go into every game and say, "well, our record with LMA is good and without him it's bad". I hope one of our young guns can get good enough to carry the team when one is out so they can get rest. I want to feel comfortable about a game when one guy is out. That's the level we need to get to.

spurs10
01-10-2021, 05:18 PM
Bruh no one's photoshop skills are that good.

This is why I've always questioned Lonnie's listed height. Yeah they might have measured him with his hairdo and now are saying 'whoops he's 5'8"!'