PDA

View Full Version : All is not sunshine and roses.....

Ocotillo
11-10-2005, 05:41 PM
..at the White House these days. (http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7617.shtml)

This is from Capitol Blue which doesn't have the best of history in getting things right. But an interesting read nonetheless.

GOP Leaders to Bush: 'Your Presidency is Effectively Over'
By DOUG THOMPSON
Nov 4, 2005, 08:13
Email this article
Printer friendly page

A growing number of Republican leaders, party strategists and political professional now privately tell President George W. Bush that his presidency "is effectively over" unless he fires embattled White House advisor Karl Rove, apologizes to the American people for misleading the country into war and revamps his administration from top to bottom.

"The only show of unity we have now in the Republican Party is the belief that the President has failed the party, the American people and the presidency," says a longtime, and angry, GOP strategist.

With the public face of support for Bush eroding daily from even diehard Republicans, the President faces mounting anger from within his party over the path that may well lead to loss of control of Congress in the 2006 midterm elections and the White House in 2008.

"This presidency is in trouble," says a senior White House aide. "Even worse, I don't know if there is a way out of the trouble."

Congressional leaders journeyed to the White House before Bush left on his South American tour this week to tell the President that his legislative agenda on the Hill is dead, his latest Supreme Court nominee faces a tough confirmation fight in the Senate and he is facing open revolt within party ranks.

"The Speaker is having an increasingly difficult time holding his troops in line," says a source within the office of House Speaker Dennis J. Hastert. "Anger at the President grows exponentially with each passing day."

At a recent White House strategy session, internal party pollsters told the President that his approval rating with Americans continues to slide and may be irreversible, citing his failed Iraq war, the failed Supreme Court nomination of Harriet Miers and his failure to deal decisively on a number of fronts, including Hurricane Katrina, the economy and the Valerie Plame scandal.

In meetings, leaders and strategists have suggested a number of things that Bush must do to try and save his presidency and GOP prospects in upcoming elections, including:

Apologize to the American people, Congress and our allies for misleading them on the reasons for invading Iraq;
Revamp the White House staff from top to bottom;
Fire Rove.
"We keep coming back to Rove," says a GOP pollster. "He has escaped indictment, so far, but the feeling within the party is that another shoe is ready to drop and the longer he waits to jettison Rove the greater the damage. As long as Karl Rove remains at the President's side, the Bush presidency is effectively over and he is just riding out the days until the nation elects a Democrat to replace him. Even with Rove gone the damage may be irreparable."

Bush, however, has dug his heels in on Rove. When a GOP strategist suggested last weekend that the President fire Rove, Bush exploded.

"You go to hell," he screamed at the strategist. "You can leave and you can take the rest of these lily-livered motherfuckers with you!" The President then stormed out of the room and refused to meet further with any other party leaders or strategists.
Bush's escalating temper tantrums and his intransigence on political issues increase Republican worries about the long term effects on both his presidency and the party's prospects in upcoming elections.

"Right now, George W. Bush is the Republican Party's chief liability," says a GOP strategist who has advised Presidential campaigns for 30 years. "The entire political future of the party and perhaps the nation now rests on the shoulders of a President that no one - Democrat or Republican - believes in or trusts."

Nbadan
11-11-2005, 03:38 AM
This is from Capitol Blue which doesn't have the best of history in getting things right. But an interesting read nonetheless

They got the 'Bush is losing it' right long before other established publication like the WP and the NYT ran with the same story.

jochhejaam
11-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Bush, however, has dug his heels in on Rove. When a GOP strategist suggested last weekend that the President fire Rove, Bush exploded.

"You go to hell," he screamed at the strategist. "You can leave and you can take the rest of these lily-livered motherfuckers with you!" The President then stormed out of the room and refused to meet further with any other party leaders or strategists.
Just who is the unnamed GOP Stragetist that attributes these quotes to the President?
Unfortunately the liberal news mediums blatantly and whole-heartedly report unsubstantiated news as if it were fact and argue that the burden of proof lies with others to disprove the story.

RandomGuy
11-11-2005, 12:05 PM
"Whenever a man thinks he stands firm, let him take heed lest he fall"

---This is probably one of the best ways to decribe Bush at the moment. It is one thing to be sure of one's self, and quite another to simply be stubborn and tunnel-visioned.

But I have been saying this about GW for a while.

DarkReign
11-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Republican or Democrat, if this is true (I am doubting Lib media heavily here), this isnt good news for ANYONE on either side of the aisle.

Man...I hope it isnt true. I take no gratification in watching America's highest office lose its ability to influence its own constituents.

boutons
11-11-2005, 12:39 PM
dubya's "confidence" is based on his ignorance of the world, not on his knowledge of the world. Strong, steadfast leadership? fine with me, but in the right fucking direction, not down some desert hell-holel

He's giving a speech right now, same old BS, which nobody but his ignorant supporters still believe.

xrayzebra
11-11-2005, 01:37 PM
dubya's "confidence" is based on his ignorance of the world, not on his knowledge of the world. Strong, steadfast leadership? fine with me, but in the right fucking direction, not down some desert hell-holel

He's giving a speech right now, same old BS, which nobody but his ignorant supporters still believe.

Yep same old BS boutons is putting out. He is still President and will be for three more years. Keep reading the dimm-o-craps blogs and slobbering on your chin.

Did you learn anything from his speech? Like when he said:

"President Bush, in the most forceful defense yet of his Iraq war policy, accused critics Friday of trying to rewrite history and charged that they're undercutting America's forces on the front lines.

"The stakes in the global war on terror are too high and the national interest is too important for politicians to throw out false charges," the president said in his combative Veterans Day speech.

"While it's perfectly legitimate to criticize my decision or the conduct of the war, it is deeply irresponsible to rewrite the history of how that war began," the president said. "

And he also said:

"Bush said that foreign intelligence services and Democrats and Republicans alike were convinced at the time that former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction.

"Some Democrats and anti-war critics are now claiming we manipulated the intelligence and mislead the American people about why we went to war," Bush said.

He said those critics have made those allegations although they know that a Senate investigation "found no evidence" of political pressure to change the intelligence community's assessments related to Saddam's weapons program.

Bush also said they know the United Nations passed more than a dozen resolutions citing Saddam's development and possession of weapons of mass destruction.

"More than 100 Democrats in the House and the Senate who had access to the same intelligence voted to support removing Saddam Hussein from power," he said."

And then the Most honorable Senator Kennedy said:

Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., quickly returned Bush's criticism.

"Its deeply regrettable that the president is using Veterans Day as a campaign-like attempt to rebuild his own credibility by tearing down those who seek the truth about the clear manipulation of intelligence in the run-up to the Iraq war," Kennedy said in a statement.

"Instead of providing open and honest answers about how we will achieve success in Iraq and allow our troops to begin to come home," Kennedy said, "the president reverted to the same manipulation of facts to justify a war we never should have fought."

I'm sure you will take Senator Kennedy's (the swimmer and brave soul who left a woman to drown in a car) view on the war.

Ocotillo
11-11-2005, 01:41 PM
R.I.P Bush presidency.

Lame Duck status is now official

DarkReign
11-11-2005, 01:47 PM
T.Kennedy is the lowest form of puke there is on Capitol Hill.

And if you are like me, and assume that 100% of the "people" that populate that shit-hole are society's lowest common denomonator, you get the picture.

Regardless, the President losing influence is never a good thing. When the Presidency is strong, America as a whole has a very concise direction. When the office is weak, America is resigned to the squabblings of 400+ people trying to agree on how federal road money should be allocated.

RandomGuy
11-12-2005, 12:00 AM
it's perfectly legitimate to criticize my decision or the conduct of the war" the president said.

Ok, I will have to hand it to him. My respect-o-meter creeped up a notch on this.

I would now put Bush as classier than the jerks who want us to "fall in line and stop criticizing our president" in a time of "war".

As much as I may really hate some of his policies and still think he should be impeached for his incompetence in running the post-war occupation of Iraq, he does still have some admirable qualities.

gtownspur
11-12-2005, 12:31 AM
^^How bout you be a real independent and demand the democrats who voted for the resolution be removed........ Don't think so.

RandomGuy
11-12-2005, 12:36 AM
^^How bout you be a real independent and demand the democrats who voted for the resolution be removed........ Don't think so.

I don't think anybody who voted for the resolution be removed republican or democrat.

I do think Bush should be removed for incompetence, however.

gtownspur
11-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Well as far as incompetence goes. Colin powell just stated last week that all is going fine in the war in iraq. The only thing that is plummeting is the pres approval in the states. The us has turned alqueda's popularity in Iraq at an all time low.

I want you to post what is considered by your standard a well run war. A war that is unilatteraly run by the U.S.