PDA

View Full Version : This ones on Pop

FkLA
01-14-2021, 10:08 PM
Cost the team about 15-20 games last year with his Brent favoritism.

Blew the game today with his Wombat favoritism and favoring the vets. Just lol at trying to close with Aldridge post-ups and drawing up plays for Wombat out of timeouts. Firmly in control before he lost his mind the final 5 minutes.

TheGreatYacht
01-14-2021, 10:09 PM
B- grade tbh

rudwick
01-14-2021, 10:10 PM
And he should know by now you never let Demar take the last shot.

Arcadian
01-14-2021, 10:11 PM
Losses don't even feel bad anymore, tbh. As long as Johnson and Vassell played well, I'm good.

Floyd Pacquiao
There’s a reason Phil Jackson called him and his staff the simulator crew. He’s never had a feel for the game.

Texas_Ranger
if u wanna defeat the spurs just go at Aldridge and Mills. This two wouldnt be able to stop a guy with one leg.

r0drig0lac
01-14-2021, 10:12 PM
:pop:

onechance87
01-14-2021, 10:13 PM
For sure on pop..Eveybody knew this was not pattys game...Should of had walker or vassell out there

timtonymanu
01-14-2021, 10:13 PM
Aldridge, Demar, Rudy are all career losers on their last legs. Mills is a bench player who thinks he's a superstar. Idk why people expect a good team as long as these guys are around and Pop is playing them.

Barfunk
01-14-2021, 10:15 PM
This team has the talent, but as long as Pop coaches these kind of games where he puts his ego first, we will continue to hover at around .500 and below.

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-14-2021, 10:16 PM
I hate to agree but yes.

why keep Patty and Aldridge in when they both aren’t shooting well and getting killed on defense? SMH.

01-14-2021, 10:17 PM
Tank for Cade

siraulo23
01-14-2021, 10:18 PM
I cant really blame him for playing Patty in the 4th, he hits a couple shots and it's a different conversation

Spurs had so many chanced to gain cushion and put the game away, they just didnt.

FkLA
01-14-2021, 10:20 PM
There’s a reason Phil Jackson called him and his staff the simulator crew. He’s never had a feel for the game.

Did he really? When was this? I kind of agree with it. He already has his mind made up on who are his closers. And the worst part is that how much he likes a guy as a human being plays a role in that decision.

John B
01-14-2021, 10:22 PM
He’s falling in love with Mills again. On TNT, they said he’s so excited about Mills playing 6th man of the year. Great! But he’s not our closer. He negates the aggressive athletic plays of our young guns. Lonnie should’ve been there, attacking, playing great defense. He just neutered him sitting him after playing great the last two games. Not smart imo.

Jordan Jackson
01-14-2021, 10:28 PM
Pop is goofy. Young guys were getting it done. They played hard built up a pretty good lead.
Then here comes the Patty show. Rockets went right at Patty the entire 4Q.

LMA is done defensively- you can’t have both out there. Same thing happened in Minny.
Losing while playing a bunch of washed up vets - while young talent sits on the bench is stupid. Rather lose playing the young guys.

Floyd Pacquiao
01-14-2021, 10:30 PM
Did he really? When was this? I kind of agree with it. He already has his mind made up on who are his closers. And the worst part is that how much he likes a guy as a human being plays a role in that decision.

Yeah back in the day, And it’s all true. How many times have we seen a player on fire only to be benched cause it’s his time to come out? Or for pop to hack a Jordan and kill his own teams run whilst they were on the cusp of blowing the doors open? It’s disgraceful...

Popovich has, shall we say, an unconventional basketball background. Not only did he never play in the NBA — Phil Jackson once called his no-league-experience staff “the simulator crew,” one of many comments never to be forgiven in South Texas

ducks
01-14-2021, 10:32 PM
Pop just to let Becky blow him and step aside and let her coach

timtonymanu
01-14-2021, 10:34 PM
Yeah back in the day, And it’s all true. How many times have we seen a player on fire only to be benched cause it’s his time to come out? Or for pop to hack a Jordan and kill his own teams run whilst they were on the cusp of blowing the doors open? It’s disgraceful...

You aren’t wrong about Pop but :lol Phil Jackson, the guy that hasn’t coached in over 10 years cause his antiquated triangle offense doesn’t work anymore

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-14-2021, 10:34 PM
What’s crazy is we all can see the issues just like last season but Pop and the coaching staff can’t. How can they not see Aldridge not being quick enough to recover on Wood out at the 3 point line tonight? Dude hit like 4 wide open three pointers tonight.

Patty not shooting well and getting attacked on defense gets run late when Vassell who is a better defender and played well didn’t get any run to help on defense. Walker benched the last 6 minutes of the game when he shot better and at least has the size to help on defense.

how can they not see this stuff!!

RD2191
01-14-2021, 10:39 PM
B- grade tbh
:lol

spurraider21
01-14-2021, 10:42 PM
the simulator crew comment was because none of the staff had nba playing experience, not because of the coaching style

Floyd Pacquiao
01-14-2021, 10:44 PM
You aren’t wrong about Pop but :lol Phil Jackson, the guy that hasn’t coached in over 10 years cause his antiquated triangle offense doesn’t work anymore
Yeah :lol he’s the ultimate egotistical asshole but I know even he wouldn’t have left Vassell and Lonnie glued to the bench in favor of a dog shit patty mills tonight

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-14-2021, 10:49 PM
When you blab your mouth off to the national media about how much you want Wombat to get a 6th man of the year award, OF COURSE, you're going to bench your rising star stud super athlete who has raised his game in the 4th quarter to play him.
We know the drill.

BTW I'm only posting here bolded donks spurgs because the Big Tech Oligarchy ZAPPED a growing influential youtube call-in show AT THE LINE.

was that you who called in and compared Pop to Gandolph the grey from Lord of the rings? Lol

i was listening to that show you mentioned and the guy who said that name was Drew.

itzsoweezee
01-14-2021, 10:56 PM
Aldridge, Demar, Rudy are all career losers on their last legs.

Yup. This team will always suck while those guys are around

rankingtear
01-14-2021, 11:44 PM
I don't like calling Aldridge post ups to get him going , counters what this season is about. Pop slowing the game down again to get anything from LA.

exstatic
01-15-2021, 08:30 AM

Remind me where Jackson is coaching now. He hasn’t been able to get a gig in nearly a decade, because he only has one tool in his tool box: the triangle. Oh, and he also got into a spat with the biggest star in the league.

Phil called them the simulator crew because of an overly developed sense of self importance. His “coaching” consists of absolute reliance on the inventor of the triangle being on his staff, and the ability to find two teams with multiple All NBA players who had both already been to the conference finals.

exstatic
01-15-2021, 08:32 AM
That being said, for one of the few times, ever, I’ll put this one on Pop. He needed to get Aldridge off the floor late, and failed to do so. He didn’t even necessarily need to bring in Poeltl. Gay is probably big and mobile enough to at least stay in front of Wood.

Do better, Pop.

MultiTroll
01-15-2021, 11:09 AM
That being said, for one of the few times, ever, I’ll put this one on Pop.
He started and gave big minutes to Bryn Forms for 150 of 152 games and you say "for one of the few times, ever"?

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2021, 11:32 AM
as longtime Spurs fans, y'all should know Pop's way of thinking by now. He coaches like this is the military. Mills has been here for 10 years, he's a military veteran, so he will always be out there instead of Walker who's only been here for 3 years. Skillset does not go into the evaluation. Even on defensive posessions at the end of games Mills will be out there, which is absolutely idiotic.

Aside from that Pop drawing up a play has become a joke. When was the last time he drew up a successful play? Was it that Belinelli 3 against the Kings last season? He let DeRozan go 1-on-1 against the Rockets best defender, PJ Tucker. All he had to do is call for one screen to get Tucker off DeRozan and that shot would've been a lot easier.

Additional to that, Pop has been had the team come out flat for years now. I don't think a lot of players take his motivational speeches serious anymore. And if we had a lead at halftime, we come out flat in the 2nd. Back then when it happened he had Manu and all he had to do was sub in him and he'll give the team the neccessary energy, that is gone now.

Pop is also not as experienced as a coach as people think. He coached Aldridge like he was Duncan, he coaches DJ like he's Parker, he coaches White like he's Manu and he's using DeRozan like he used to use Nephew when he became the #1 option. He's had Duncan/Ginobili/Parker for most of his coaching career and clearly doesn't understand how to change his approach without them.

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-15-2021, 11:49 AM
as longtime Spurs fans, y'all should know Pop's way of thinking by now. He coaches like this is the military. Mills has been here for 10 years, he's a military veteran, so he will always be out there instead of Walker who's only been here for 3 years. Skillset does not go into the evaluation. Even on defensive posessions at the end of games Mills will be out there, which is absolutely idiotic.

Aside from that Pop drawing up a play has become a joke. When was the last time he drew up a successful play? Was it that Belinelli 3 against the Kings last season? He let DeRozan go 1-on-1 against the Rockets best defender, PJ Tucker. All he had to do is call for one screen to get Tucker off DeRozan and that shot would've been a lot easier.

Additional to that, Pop has been had the team come out flat for years now. I don't think a lot of players take his motivational speeches serious anymore. And if we had a lead at halftime, we come out flat in the 2nd. Back then when it happened he had Manu and all he had to do was sub in him and he'll give the team the neccessary energy, that is gone now.

Pop is also not as experienced as a coach as people think. He coached Aldridge like he was Duncan, he coaches DJ like he's Parker, he coaches White like he's Manu and he's using DeRozan like he used to use Nephew when he became the #1 option. He's had Duncan/Ginobili/Parker for most of his coaching career and clearly doesn't understand how to change his approach without them.

i agree with you on a decent amount of points but the military analogy is way off base in my opinion.

in the military they have jobs/rates and rank for a reason. Just because you’ve been in a branch for “X” amount of years doesn’t automatically give you complete authority over someone. There is a thing called situational authority in the military that is very real. no matter how long your tenure or high you are ranked doesn’t mean you can tell someone who is trained in a certain job you know nothing about what to do. Of course you must respect the persons rank but it is a reason there are chain of commands in the military.

a competent supervisor in charge isn’t going to automatically give a job to the person who is longer tenure, they are going to give it to the person who has the qualifications. Actually the rules state this as so in any branch

RC_Drunkford
01-15-2021, 11:52 AM
i agree with you on a decent amount of points but the military analogy is way off base in my opinion.

in the military they have jobs/rates and rank for a reason. Just because you’ve been in a branch for “X” amount of years doesn’t automatically give you complete authority over someone. There is a thing called situational authority in the military that is very real. no matter how long your tenure or high you are ranked doesn’t mean you can tell someone who is trained in a certain job you know nothing about what to do. Of course you must respect the persons rank but it is a reason there are chain of commands in the military.

a competent supervisor in charge isn’t going to automatically give a job to the person who is longer tenure, they are going to give it to the person who has the qualifications. Actually the rules state this as so in any branch

I give you that, but I wasn't neccessarily talking about ranks. More like Mills is the battle tested soldier, who's been in many battles, while Walker is a newbie. That kind of analogy

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-15-2021, 11:54 AM
Mills lack of ability on D should be reason enough to keep him glued to the bench in the last 5 minutes of a close game. If it's the third quarter and we're trading buckets, than yeah, fine. But when it's crunch time and it's really all about stops, he needs to be watching, not playing.

The Truth #6
01-15-2021, 11:54 AM
This season we need to develop our young players. The vets chasing a new contract is distracting. I see that a lot of posters wanted Pop to play more of the young players at the end…we might’ve still lost but I just want the young guys to get experience. Realistic expectations are important this year, and that includes Pop being Pop.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-15-2021, 11:55 AM
Agree with the OP. We can't give away the games we should win. This game negates the Laker victory, and it didn't have to happen. We're not the team from 4 or 5 years ago that could coast through the first half of the schedule and still win 55 games. This team needs to be desperate every game if they have a shot of the playoffs.

The Truth #6
01-15-2021, 11:57 AM
Mills lack of ability on D should be reason enough to keep him glued to the bench in the last 5 minutes of a close game. If it's the third quarter and we're trading buckets, than yeah, fine. But when it's crunch time and it's really all about stops, he needs to be watching, not playing.

With White out, Vassel needs way more minutes but they are going to Mills. I appreciate Mills for his dedication to the Spurs, he is a lifer, but he still needs a few less minutes.

John B
01-15-2021, 12:14 PM
Remind me where Jackson is coaching now. He hasn’t been able to get a gig in nearly a decade, because he only has one tool in his tool box: the triangle. Oh, and he also got into a spat with the biggest star in the league.

Phil called them the simulator crew because of an overly developed sense of self importance. His “coaching” consists of absolute reliance on the inventor of the triangle being on his staff, and the ability to find two teams with multiple All NBA players who had both already been to the conference finals.
Preach.. I've always thought Phil Jackson is the luckiest SOB to get 3 of the most dominant players in the NBA and Tex with his brilliant triangle offense, and takes all the credit for it.

John B
01-15-2021, 12:16 PM
I'm glad that Spurs lost last night to the lowly Rockets with Mills closing it with the Vets. I hope that was a smack in the coaches' face. That experiment didn't get them to the playoffs last year and he went back to it? Shame.

lebomb
01-15-2021, 12:21 PM
:pop:

Pop emoji needs to be updated with his new snow white flowing locks!!!

MoSpur02
01-15-2021, 12:36 PM
I agree. This loss is on Pop. His decision to go with Mills and Aldridge was horrible. The Spurs were carried by the young guns and it should’ve remained that way.

koriwhat
01-15-2021, 04:19 PM
Pop's been done for a long time now unfortunately.

Joseph Kony
01-15-2021, 04:21 PM
Mills closing games still is fucking insanity. I guarantee when White comes back, Mills will still be the closer. the old man can't help himself. I really hope a contender trades for Patty so Pop won't be tempted to continue leaning on his pets when the young guys need reps in close games like this.

Sugus
01-15-2021, 04:36 PM
Mills closing games still is fucking insanity. I guarantee when White comes back, Mills will still be the closer. the old man can't help himself. I really hope a contender trades for Patty so Pop won't be tempted to continue leaning on his pets when the young guys need reps in close games like this.

Couldn't agree more. Mills playing at all is only tolerable insofar as his trade value is raised. When's the trade deadline? If this scrub is still on the team after that, I might have to stop following the games as closely. I already suffered through an entire season of the Chucky Mill$ show, I don't think I can take another one. The silver lining is, it gets us closer to the lottery with each L that he spearheads.

FkLA
01-15-2021, 08:50 PM
IIRC Wombat wasnt even a closer the first few games of the season. Once it was established that he was hot to start the season, Pop just couldn't help himself.

The worst part is he's an automatic closer, regardless of how he's playing now. That hot start gives him so much leeway. He could struggle like he did against HOU and Pop would still give him like 25 games as the closer to try to "regain his form".

tim_duncan_fan
01-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Losses don't even feel bad anymore, tbh. As long as Johnson and Vassell played well, I'm good.

This is exactly how I feel. I am watching for specific players more than ever before.