PDA

View Full Version : NFL commish big announcment on LA football coming!!

Vashner
11-10-2005, 07:06 PM
NFL commish big announcment on LA football coming!!

Something about them maybe getting a new franchise??

Or Saints?

This just came across the wire on WOAI AM.

They also mentioned: LA will have an NFL team by 2009
They are seeking an ownership group.
LA building stadium on county fair grounds.

samikeyp
11-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen....your Los Angeles Saints!

TheWriter
11-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Saints to SA. LA and NO are given expansion teams for 2009.

Most logical idea.

samikeyp
11-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Except the NFL really doesn't want to expand past 32 teams.

I still say they are going L.A.

j-6
11-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Why doesn't Portland ever get any love for NFL expansion? There's a lot of money there and they've got to have at least a couple of million people. Oregon supports the shit out of their two college teams, although I think the Beavers play in a tiny stadium.

exstatic
11-10-2005, 07:58 PM
I don't see how the folks in La. don't see what Tagilabue is doing. The league will make a halfhearted effort next year, and when the B.R/N.O Saints set record low attendance marks, off to LA they go. This was a snip from cnnsi's truth and rumors column:

After meeting Wednesday with NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said the league is working toward finalizing a deal at the Los Angeles Coliseum and hopes to have it done by the Super Bowl in February. "We are talking of having a fourth [NFL team] at the Coliseum in Los Angeles, maybe the fifth in Anaheim," Schwarzenegger said in a telephone interview, referring to the NFL teams in California now, in San Diego, San Francisco and Oakland.
-- Los Angeles Times

We never had a chance, and neither does N.O.

samikeyp
11-10-2005, 08:00 PM
I remember the old Portland Breakers! :lol

also the Pittsburgh Penguins were about to move to Portland if Lemiuex's ownership group hadn't bought them....supposedly the NHL had even made up a schedule for them based in Portland.

Don't know why they don't....maybe because Seattle is so close?

gameFACE
11-10-2005, 09:10 PM
When is the announcement supposed to take place?

McKenzie
11-10-2005, 09:56 PM
NFL commish big announcment on LA football coming!!

Something about them maybe getting a new franchise??

Or Saints?

This just came across the wire on WOAI AM.

They also mentioned: LA will have an NFL team by 2009
They are seeking an ownership group.
LA building stadium on county fair grounds.

Please clarify between LA (Louisiana) and L.A. (Los Angeles) and provide link.

goliath
11-10-2005, 10:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2219883

Updated: Nov. 10, 2005, 7:23 PM ET
NFL, Coliseum in preliminary stages for return to L.A.Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- The NFL and city officials have reached a preliminary agreement on terms to bring a team back to the Los Angeles Coliseum, commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Thursday.

But Tagliabue, in a 15-minute session with reporters on the steps of City Hall, didn't identify a potential tenant or speculate when Los Angeles might get the team.

He also spoke positively about a team playing at a facility proposed for the Angel Stadium parking lot in Anaheim and didn't rule out the Rose Bowl in Pasadena as a possible home field, either.

As Tagliabue entered a limousine, he was asked if he could assess the significance of what he had just announced. He replied, "I'd rather not try."

The commissioner did say: "It's the first time we've had agreement on term sheets. We're one step closer, two or three steps closer. Whether it's 2009, 2010, or 2000-whatever, our goal is to have definitive agreements on all subject matters well before our league meetings in March."

The Los Angeles area, the second-largest television market in the country, has been without an NFL team since the Raiders moved from the Coliseum back to Oakland and the Rams moved from Anaheim to St. Louis before the 1995 season.

After announcing plans in the spring of 1999 to put an expansion team in the Coliseum, the NFL was unable to reach an agreement with the Los Angeles backers and instead awarded the 32nd franchise to Houston that October.

Houston businessman Bob McNair and his backers offered to pay $700 million for the new franchise and spend another $310 million on a stadium, making it the NFL's first billion-dollar deal. The Texans began play in 2002.

Tagliabue said significant progress has been made in the past year regarding the Coliseum. His statement came following a meeting with Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and before a session with Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle.

"I think the critical thing now is we're at the point where it's recognized, certainly by us, that the time is right," Tagliabue said. "We have to get agreements finalized. We'll be pursuing agreements in Anaheim. We're going to work with both communities for an agreement."

He said there have been no in-depth discussions on whether the region would get an expansion or existing team.

Tagliabue said last month that future expansion was unlikely anywhere but Los Angeles.

He also said it was important to make sure Southern California, the nation's top-ranked college team, was comfortable with any agreement, since the Trojans have made the Coliseum their home since 1923.

Tagliabue planned on meeting with USC coach Pete Carroll later Thursday. The commissioner met with Gov. Arnold Schwarzennegger late Wednesday.

Tentative plans call for the NFL to finance construction of a $500 million stadium inside the Coliseum, home to the Rams from 1946-79 and the Raiders from 1982-94.

City Councilman Bernard Parks said after listening to Tagliabue that he believes the Coliseum will eventually get an existing team rather than an expansion team.

"The NFL is going to have a say on who's going to come here. The Coliseum has no role in selecting a team," Parks said.

Asked when it might happen, Parks replied: "I don't know. Nobody's signed anything. They've got to say they're coming."

That being said, Parks expressed optimism.

"In my judgment, I don't believe these business people waste their time and money," he said. "They've spent a lot of time and money."

While Tagliabue didn't rule out the Rose Bowl, the Pasadena City Council voted 5-2 with one abstention last June to pursue a plan for the stadium that doesn't involve the NFL. Carson dropped out of contention in May when city officials decided to build a mall on its proposed site.

tgrgrd00
11-10-2005, 10:09 PM
:hang

I think I am gonna :vomit

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Looks like NO has its priorities straight, they've almost got the roof of the Dome repaired...

http://www.tampabusiness.com/directnic/20051030/Picture121.jpg

McKenzie
11-10-2005, 11:12 PM
I just lost my cookies.

exstatic
11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Tagliabue should be ashamed. He's going to let them sink money (that could be used for other things) into that shithole, then when it becomes apparent that NO can no longer support the team, and there is no "theft" stigma, he'll move them to L.A.

Vashner
11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Please clarify between LA (Louisiana) and L.A. (Los Angeles) and provide link.
Do you know how to read engrish? WOAI AM.....

I am not going to post a link to a radiation broadcast lol..

McKenzie
11-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Do you know how to read engrish? WOAI AM.....

I am not going to post a link to a radiation broadcast lol..

HEY! I'm not near a radio or TV. I know how to read English if I could garner them.

McKenzie
11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Tagliabue should be ashamed. He's going to let them sink money (that could be used for other things) into that shithole, then when it becomes apparent that NO can no longer support the team, and there is no "theft" stigma, he'll move them to L.A.

I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything, but where the fuck have you been all day? Glad you are here now.

blaze89
11-10-2005, 11:53 PM
You mean with all that has happened in Los Angeles - people in L.A. don't care about football, they have had two chances and lost both teams so why give them a third?

After all the history of Los Angeles, the NFL still wants to put a team in that city. The NFL never wanted a team in San Antonio nor elsewhere - Los Angeles is what the NFL has had their eye on for many years now.

It will be either the Jaguars or Saints - but it's unlikely both teams will move.

Vashner
11-11-2005, 12:14 AM
We have to play our International .. IE Mexico card to get a team.

Jerry Jones is really like 90 years old and when that botox wears off he will
be like palpatine in EPIII soon.

McKenzie
11-11-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't see how the folks in La. don't see what Tagilabue is doing. The league will make a halfhearted effort next year, and when the B.R/N.O Saints set record low attendance marks, off to LA they go. This was a snip from cnnsi's truth and rumors column:

We never had a chance, and neither does N.O.

The sad truth is that not even New Orleans had a chance. Fuck what we may have wanted. We had our skirt blown up.....as did the Saints.

blaze89
11-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Maybe it's too soon to actually be down about this, I mean nothing had happened yet, this is all just talk.

Much like the news of the Saints coming to San Antonio. Prior to having regular season games coming to S.A., the chances of regular season games were slim.

Things change as days go by.

However, with the possibility of the Saints not coming to San Antonio, I hope the Dec. 24 is a sell-out, it would only benefit the city's image for pro-football, anything less would just solidify the beliefs the powers that be have on us.

hicksi
11-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Aggie.

Couldn't you find a bigger picture?

exstatic
11-11-2005, 08:39 AM
I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything, but where the fuck have you been all day? Glad you are here now.

I don't read or post from work. :spin

tgrgrd00
11-11-2005, 08:45 AM

What?

Every heard of insurance? What do you want them to do? File a claim on the dome then used the money to repair a levee? I think the insurance company would probably frown on the allocation of money toward another project.

samikeyp
11-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Force Majure....then Hello L.A.

I see it coming.

Oh, Gee!!
11-11-2005, 10:55 AM
I think I've made it clear how I feel about the situation (all from threads other than this one):

Benson is a fucking snake.

I say good riddance to bad football

Benson is playing us for fools. I bet he never planned to bring the saints here, he needs us till 2007 when he can move them to L.A. That's where the big payday is for Benson.

Tom Benson does not care about black people

Benson was arguably the worst owner in the NFL pre-Katrina

do we even want the crappy 'Aints and their crappy owner. I'm beginning to think that I'd rather watch the Cowboys for free on FOX-NFL than pay $60 to see a shitty team in person. :pctoss