PDA

View Full Version : Did the Spurs even attempt to get Christian Wood?

MultiTroll
01-19-2021, 04:25 PM
What a fit with the young core at age 25.

23/10 already while dropping some trey bombs too.

But but but we've got Aldridge and extended Poodle.

look_at_g_shred
01-19-2021, 04:29 PM
I would like to know to but I think i know the answer already.

Dejounte
01-19-2021, 04:33 PM
Was he within the Spurs' reach? He's being paid money the Spurs didn't have. Would he have wanted to sign here? Seems he wanted to go to a place where he could be featured and get all the touches.

KobesAchilles
01-19-2021, 04:41 PM
I don't think we had the money. He's getting like $14 million a year

MultiTroll
01-19-2021, 05:00 PM
Was he within the Spurs' reach? He's being paid money the Spurs didn't have. Would he have wanted to sign here? Seems he wanted to go to a place where he could be featured and get all the touches.
1. Pistons took very little for him. More like an unload from retard Pistons. LMA is 24 a year. Poodles at 8. Wood is better then both of them combined. Frozen and Mills combine for 37 a year. FFS make some room for the future.
2. Want to sign here? What say did Wood have in the matter?
3. Wanted to be featured so he went to a team who at the time had Harden? No.

Dejounte
01-19-2021, 05:04 PM
1. Pistons took very little for him. More like an unload from retard Pistons. LMA is 24 a year. Poodles at 8. Wood is better then both of them combined. Frozen and Mills combine for 37 a year. FFS make some room for the future.
2. Want to sign here? What say did Wood have in the matter?
3. Wanted to be featured so he went to a team who at the time had Harden? No.

Bigs thrive with Harden.

Wood had all the say. He was a free agent. They opted for a sign and trade to get him more money and for the Pistons to get something out of it.

I'm not at all comparing Wood to our current bigs. It's obvious he's better. I'm just saying it doesn't look like it was even possible the Spurs were going to get him.

Chinook
01-19-2021, 05:05 PM
Ugh, 2D cap understanding is annoying. Hopefully after this year when the Spurs actually have cap space again folks won't do shit like compare exceptions to contracts.

MultiTroll
01-19-2021, 05:24 PM
Ugh, 2D cap understanding is annoying. Hopefully after this year when the Spurs actually have cap space again folks won't do shit like compare exceptions to contracts.
Ug, or maybe with anything above sub zero D BBIQ the Spurs could have and still could unload some of their bloated cap.

Leetonidas
01-19-2021, 05:30 PM
He was a free agent. He was had by Houston because of a S&T. So you're assuming Pistons wanted any of our garbage for him and that he ever was interested in coming here.

I'm sure Spurs reach out to all big FA agents to gauge interest. But this was 100% Woods choice, Detroit had no say in the matter. He did them a solid by agreeing to the S&T

Leetonidas
01-19-2021, 05:32 PM
The Spurs two biggest cap salaries are coming off the books this after this season. I guarantee the Spurs are not desperate to unload them to take on more salary :lol

r0drig0lac
01-19-2021, 06:03 PM
Bigs thrive with Harden.

Wood had all the say. He was a free agent. They opted for a sign and trade to get him more money and for the Pistons to get something out of it.

I'm not at all comparing Wood to our current bigs. It's obvious he's better. I'm just saying it doesn't look like it was even possible the Spurs were going to get him.?

exstatic
01-19-2021, 06:17 PM
Anyone would look great with LMA guarding them. :lol Poodle fucking stoned him in their matchup, and Keldon did well, too, away from quick flashes the paint. Wood couldn’t back him down, though. He also went from 5-7 from three in the first game to 1-3 in the second game.

Wood will put up good numbers in the midget ball NBA, but he’ll never dominate, and force you to double him. He’s on his sixth team in six seasons.

Mr. Body
01-19-2021, 06:18 PM
One thing about Wood is that he's really shitty at defense. So not only did the Spurs not have the jack to get him, they prioritized the guy they already had, who they knew wanted to be here, and who is actually good at defense.

$pursDynasty
01-19-2021, 07:16 PM
We probably couldn't afford him this year but he has been a journeyman for a minute we could have gotten him before

SpurSpike
01-19-2021, 07:28 PM
To be fair I didn't see one poster here suggest the Spurs go after him last off-season.

Dejounte
01-19-2021, 07:47 PM
To be fair I didn't see one poster here suggest the Spurs go after him last off-season.

What? No way. We have geniuses on this board who know better than anybody.

spurraider21
01-19-2021, 08:03 PM
:lol i still remember the old days when you and bruno would be walking everyone through cap scenarios. the summer we got LMA had all kinds of hoops that had to be jumped through with the precise order of certain transactions (ie when each of kawhi, danny, duncan, manu, aldridge signed)

sananspursfan21
01-19-2021, 08:07 PM
I hate going to the mall. Not because it doesn’t have things I like, but because most of the crap I can’t afford. So I don’t even waste my time going. I feel as though I identify with the Spurs this past offseason. Sorry, you were saying?

Chinook
01-19-2021, 08:14 PM
:lol i still remember the old days when you and bruno would be walking everyone through cap scenarios. the summer we got LMA had all kinds of hoops that had to be jumped through with the precise order of certain transactions (ie when each of kawhi, danny, duncan, manu, aldridge signed)

Yeah. The Spurs may finally have another off-season where something like that is necessary, though since they already extended White, we probably don't have to worry about it. You saying that reminds me of guys like Bruno and Mel who haven't been around in years. Hope they're doing okay but also happy they avoided the DeRozan/Forbes era for the most part.

Thomas82
01-19-2021, 08:40 PM
I was pulling for us to sign him as an undrafted free agent out of UNLV.

MultiTroll
01-19-2021, 09:15 PM
We probably couldn't afford him this year but he has been a journeyman for a minute we could have gotten him before
Yep.
Inserted into the starting lineup following the Pistons’ Andre Drummond trade, he recorded 22.8 PPG, 9.9 RPG and 2.0 APG over his final 13 games. (Of 2019-20)

In 2018-19 he did 17/8 in only 24 minutes per game.

MultiTroll
01-19-2021, 09:26 PM
We do.
https://www.parlons-basket.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/spurs-bryn-forbes-patty-mills-e1539592550632.jpg

RC_Drunkford
01-20-2021, 09:56 AM
It's not far fetched that the Pistons would've taken DeRozan with Casey there coaching. Wood and Grant were my top 2 targets. Wood averages 23, Grant 25 PPG b-b-b-but :pop: "We don't do trades"

Sure Spurs didn't have the money, but let's not act like there weren't any possibilities to create cap room

RC_Drunkford
01-20-2021, 09:57 AM

I said that shit multiple times tbh

MultiTroll
01-20-2021, 11:41 AM
The Spurs two biggest cap salaries are coming off the books this after this season. I guarantee the Spurs are not desperate to unload them to take on more salary :lol
We had to wait until this season is over?
Why not last offseason?

MultiTroll
01-20-2021, 11:42 AM
Yep.
We certainly have to keep these two for the development of the Young Core.

I think we’ve all noticed this without needing numbers but here they are:

The kids have been better without the Spurs’ stars

Point differential per 100 possessions and overall, for the San Antonio Spurs when Dejounte Murray, Lonnie Walker and Keldon Johnson have played with and without DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge

ON THE COURT
NUMBER OF POSSESSIONS
DIFF. PER
100 POSS.
OVERALL POINT DIFF.

With DeRozan and Aldridge

With DeRozan, without Aldridge
+3.6
+6

With Aldridge, without DeRozan

With neither
+31.1
+32

Since the start of the 2019-20 season through Jan. 18, 2021. Stats exclude garbage-time possessions.
SOURCE: CLEANING THE GLASS

Leetonidas
01-20-2021, 11:58 AM
We had to wait until this season is over?
Why not last offseason?
I mean it seems like spurs had a deal lined up with GS based on rumors and a recent interview with Kerr but we know what happened. It's also very possible that no one wants to trade anything of value for a year of LA or DD

Dejounte
01-20-2021, 12:26 PM
Yep.
We certainly have to keep these two for the development of the Young Core.
Yes, because it's as simple as you lay it out to be. You definitely qualify to handle high level management and operations. Why don't you apply?

MultiTroll
01-20-2021, 12:54 PM
I mean it seems like spurs had a deal lined up with GS based on rumors and a recent interview with Kerr but we know what happened. It's also very possible that no one wants to trade anything of value for a year of LA or DDSadly the latter sounds true.
If PATFO made sincere attempts, great. That is all I'm asking in the OP. Wiseman for LMA would indeed have been a mega score. Hopefully they explored more trades then just GS with his buddy Kerr.

If this was/is Grandpa and his power tripping holding on to his pets, that sucks balls 1,000%.

MultiTroll
01-20-2021, 12:57 PM
Yes, because it's as simple as you lay it out to be. You definitely qualify to handle high level management and operations. Why don't you apply?
Oh no it's been made very complicated with the stupid contracts given out by Popped and his minions the last 4 years. But you're right I would greatly enhance the Spurs return to winning playoff basketball.

dbestpro
01-20-2021, 02:05 PM
So who is the next C. Woods. An overlooked big man in a guard happy league.

Sugus
01-20-2021, 03:01 PM
I mean it seems like spurs had a deal lined up with GS based on rumors and a recent interview with Kerr but we know what happened. It's also very possible that no one wants to trade anything of value for a year of LA or DD

It's funny to see the cognitive bias against the Spurs' FO in this forum where they (mostly) refuse to believe the GS trade was going down if Klay didn't get injured, even though there's multiple credible sources that all but pointed right towards it in the days leading up to the draft; yet there's widespread belief that they "didn't even attempt" to go after X or Y free agent, when there's absolutely no sources regarding that scenario being true, and it's known that most GMs talk about potential trades and prospects on a daily basis.

Sugus
01-20-2021, 03:03 PM
So who is the next C. Woods. An overlooked big man in a guard happy league.

I guess he's real close to breaking out now, but I've always liked Boucher from the Raps. Seems like the prototypical modern day big man.

I'll go with a recent draftee and say, Jalen Smith :downspin:. I'm a full believer, even if I don't trust the Suns org to bring out the best in him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-20-2021, 03:03 PM
Meh...a lot of teams underestimated Wood. Like, all of them. The FO hate missile is off a bit on this one.

mo7888
01-20-2021, 04:28 PM
I guess he's real close to breaking out now, but I've always liked Boucher from the Raps. Seems like the prototypical modern day big man.

I'll go with a recent draftee and say, Jalen Smith :downspin:. I'm a full believer, even if I don't trust the Suns org to bring out the best in him.

Following up on that re: Boucher, it looks like he's on a cheap contract this year and next and his trade restriction expires in March. Would he be worth Lyles and a 1st to us? Would that be worth it to Toronto if they aren't really competing at that point?

Sugus
01-20-2021, 04:46 PM
Following up on that re: Boucher, it looks like he's on a cheap contract this year and next and his trade restriction expires in March. Would he be worth Lyles and a 1st to us? Would that be worth it to Toronto if they aren't really competing at that point?

He's for sure worth more than Lyles and a 1st, the way he's been playing. From what I've seen, he's a 4.5 that struggles against traditional, or bigger, centers, but would be a perfect compliment to our young core. I doubt the Raptors are blowing it up or anywhere close to it (unless you believe TD 21 that they've been trying to blow it up since like, 2015 :lol), but even if they were, I'd presume Boucher has played himself into being close to untouchable.

But on the other hand, he's already 28, so depending on where the Raptors want to go with in regards to their rebuild, he could be had. For a price - since we wouldn't be the only betters, nor close to it.

mo7888
01-20-2021, 04:50 PM
He's for sure worth more than Lyles and a 1st, the way he's been playing. From what I've seen, he's a 4.5 that struggles against traditional, or bigger, centers, but would be a perfect compliment to our young core. I doubt the Raptors are blowing it up or anywhere close to it (unless you believe TD 21 that they've been trying to blow it up since like, 2015 :lol), but even if they were, I'd presume Boucher has played himself into being close to untouchable.

But on the other hand, he's already 28, so depending on where the Raptors want to go with in regards to their rebuild, he could be had. For a price - since we wouldn't be the only betters, nor close to it.

I love him but I'd be hesitant to offer more than a 1st (lyles is just to make salaries match) with such a small sample size and him being 28. From the Raps point of view they might want to sell high and collect the asset however, if they really value him then they might consider moving Siakam (who seems unhappy there). He's another 4 that would fit our timeline quite nicely.

ginobilized
01-20-2021, 05:20 PM
There are some up and coming 4/5 types out there, I bet the Spurs draft one this year.
Seems like their way of doing things.

Sugus
01-20-2021, 05:48 PM
I love him but I'd be hesitant to offer more than a 1st (lyles is just to make salaries match) with such a small sample size and him being 28. From the Raps point of view they might want to sell high and collect the asset however, if they really value him then they might consider moving Siakam (who seems unhappy there). He's another 4 that would fit our timeline quite nicely.

Well, it would depend on how the Spurs view their own timeline as well. He'd make sense in a scenario where the Spurs see the team as being "one piece away", and don't think they need to hard tank to get back in contention. To be honest, it's looking more and more likely that this is the path they're going to take, even though I'd rather go for a quick tank and a chance at some of these top prospects in both the '21 and '22 draft.

Anyways, if the Spurs see themselves in that position, I can see them justifying a trade for Boucher; I just doubt that a 1st and an expiring (because Lyles doesn't have any real value) will be enough to get him. He's not the perfect player, but Chris has been filling up the stat sheets in recent games, and there could be many contenders interested in his skillset (fortunately for us though, most contenders are lacking in trading assets right now).

Siakam would be perfect on the Spurs, but I seriously doubt the Raptors would give up on him after only a bad stretch of games, unless they're truly willing to blow it up. I haven't been catching their games too closely, but I've read that Pascal was recently returning to form, so I can see the Raps keeping him around and instead trying to trade for that second star that would make them true contenders. I don't think it's the best plan for them, but who knows in this league...

MultiTroll
01-20-2021, 06:15 PM
might consider moving Siakam (who seems unhappy there). He's another 4 that would fit our timeline quite nicely.
Wonderful.
But Siakam for who?
No way Raps take LMA or DD straight up. No way i want to part with DJ KJ IV, of which they would probably want at least 2 0f 3 if not all 3.
Can LMA be offloaded anywhere in a 3 way?

MultiTroll
01-20-2021, 06:18 PM
There are some up and coming 4/5 types out there, I bet the Spurs draft one this year.
Seems like their way of doing things.
Yes if it's some rookie that can come in and kick ass.
But if it's another "2-3 years away" type that jacks up our core.
Spurs scouting sure hit the jackpot with KJ.

Seventyniner
01-20-2021, 07:31 PM
Well, it would depend on how the Spurs view their own timeline as well. He'd make sense in a scenario where the Spurs see the team as being "one piece away", and don't think they need to hard tank to get back in contention. To be honest, it's looking more and more likely that this is the path they're going to take, even though I'd rather go for a quick tank and a chance at some of these top prospects in both the '21 and '22 draft.

Anyways, if the Spurs see themselves in that position, I can see them justifying a trade for Boucher; I just doubt that a 1st and an expiring (because Lyles doesn't have any real value) will be enough to get him. He's not the perfect player, but Chris has been filling up the stat sheets in recent games, and there could be many contenders interested in his skillset (fortunately for us though, most contenders are lacking in trading assets right now).

Siakam would be perfect on the Spurs, but I seriously doubt the Raptors would give up on him after only a bad stretch of games, unless they're truly willing to blow it up. I haven't been catching their games too closely, but I've read that Pascal was recently returning to form, so I can see the Raps keeping him around and instead trying to trade for that second star that would make them true contenders. I don't think it's the best plan for them, but who knows in this league...

My memory isn't the greatest on this front, but iirc most teams that are trying to tank do so by playing shitty players lots of minutes and liberally sitting their good players, if they have any. I don't think the Spurs roster is bad enough to lose tons of games if they play hard, and I don't see the Spurs doing something drastic like shutting down all 4 of the vets for the season. Not to mention that tanking is probably anathema to Pop.

mo7888
01-20-2021, 08:02 PM
Wonderful.
But Siakam for who?
No way Raps take LMA or DD straight up. No way i want to part with DJ KJ IV, of which they would probably want at least 2 0f 3 if not all 3.
Can LMA be offloaded anywhere in a 3 way?

It would have to be ddr and multiple 1sts to make sense

mo7888
01-20-2021, 08:05 PM

I agree with all of that. The Raps probably do prefer to trade for a 2nd star and incidentally a 1st acquired for Boucher might help them do that. As for trading Siakam it really just depends on how bad he ends up wanting out. I don't think we can realistically get him unless he's pressuring Toronto for a trade... but he might just go that unless they can get that 2nd star.

paperboy77
01-20-2021, 08:17 PM
Does it even matter? We all talk smack about PATFO all the time. Who really cares? We have a decent team with pretty damn good prospects. Hopefully they make the playoffs and make some noise. We always gotta roll with who we get.

cjw
01-20-2021, 08:26 PM
To say the Pistons took back very little is a stretch. They got back the 16th pick in the draft and had to take back Ariza (expiring who they since flipped out), and sent out a HEAVILY protected first that won’t convey as long as Detroit sucks and misses the playoffs, which is the foreseeable future.

Then again, the Pistons were too busy signing every center on the market and then the guy who was selected at 16 is also a center. Maybe could have snookered them.

Maybe a package with LMA or DDR would have worked. But they likely were looking for a young rotation piece - would you have given up 11?

It would have to be ddr and multiple 1sts to make sense

If you believe in your young core enough where you see them all having a future role, the roster starts to get full. If you can get a borderline, young guy who was an All NBA guy last year, you do it.

Too bad he costs 3x what Wood does... but he’d be a great fit.

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2021, 11:23 PM

I’ve been vouching for him since the 2018 offseason thread.

Get Christian Wood at all costs.

Has Christian Wood been signed yet? He'd be the second best big on our roster, day 1.

TheGreatYacht
01-20-2021, 11:29 PM
Anyone would look great with LMA guarding them. :lol Poodle fucking stoned him in their matchup, and Keldon did well, too, away from quick flashes the paint. Wood couldn’t back him down, though. He also went from 5-7 from three in the first game to 1-3 in the second game.

Wood will put up good numbers in the midget ball NBA, but he’ll never dominate, and force you to double him. He’s on his sixth team in six seasons.
Watch other teams besides the Spurs you casual moron :lol He’s averaging 24/11 for the season and you’re bragging about how good we did against him in the second matchup... where he had 24pts and 18rebs while being double teamed because he was playing with G Leaguers.

How’s Poeltl’s upside looking like?