PDA

View Full Version : is LeBron's 212x110ft Billboard...

milkyway21
11-10-2005, 09:05 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/basketball/nba/img9035718.jpg

the biggest Ever? Even compared to Jordan's?

LeBron honored with massive billboard in Cleveland
Nov. 10, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEVELAND -- Already the city's most famous citizen, LeBron James has never been bigger in Cleveland. He's 10-stories tall.

As a way of acknowledging the All-Star forward's impact, Nike has hung a billboard of James on the side of a building near Quicken Loans Arena, home of the Cavaliers, that is 110 feet high and 212 feet wide.

On the massive mesh banner, James soars toward an unseen basket with his right arm extended over his head, ready to deliver one of his signature slam dunks. Next to the sprawling reproduction of the photograph taken during his rookie season are the words: "WE ARE ALL WITNESSES."

"It's simple, but it says it all," said Chris Marsh of Avon Lake, one of several people to pause and look at the banner, which has quickly become Cleveland's newest tourist attraction. "Just like with Michael Jordan, we are witnessing the same thing, just in a different era. It's awesome."

LeBron's billboard -- a 2,700-pound mesh banner -- is 110 feet high and 212 feet wide. (AP)
Nike's intent was to honor James for his work on and off the floor.

"The idea was to let Cleveland fans have the opportunity to say that we are watching the growth and development of LeBron and the Cavaliers, and not just on the court but in the community," said company spokesman Rodney Knox. "We are watching LeBron and this team grow and grow."

The photo used for the billboard was taken on Nov. 15, 2003. It captures James in mid-flight on a breakaway in a game against the Philadelphia 76ers.

In only two seasons as a pro, James has blossomed into one of the game's best players while becoming a global marketing icon, following in the shoes of Jordan, the 20-year-old's boyhood idol.

Knox said the billboard, which features the omnipresent Nike swoosh, is not tied to a marketing campaign for James' new sneaker line, Zoom LeBron III, which will hit stores later this month.

As motorists craned their necks and pedestrians stopped to view the 2,700-pound banner, Victor Darby stood below giving directions over a cell phone to his friend, Tyler Newell, who was about to drive back to Washington, D.C.

"I told him, 'Man, you got to come back and see this,"' Darby said. "

Moments later, Newell pulled up, got out of his truck and soaked in the larger-than-life LeBron.

"Whoa," Newell said. "Now that's big. It should be. He's the King."

When James was a rookie, Nike promoted his first sneaker by placing a four-story billboard of his likeness on Seventh Avenue just a block from Madison Square Garden. The apparel giant had been looking for the right location in Cleveland, and settled on the Landmark Building next to Terminal Tower, the city's best known building.

When he was still a senior at Akron's St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, James signed a seven-year $90 million endorsement contract with Nike, the richest initial shoe deal offered to an athlete.

As of Thursday afternoon, James had still not seen the giant billboard.

"Where's it at?" he said, peering through a window outside the club's practice court. "I'm going to drive over and take a look at it. I heard it's pretty big."

AP NEWS

milkyway21
11-10-2005, 09:09 PM
i saw that billboard of Jordan during the Barcelona Olympics..that was awesome....

ducks
11-11-2005, 09:16 AM
dude this is nba forum material
they are already worried he will leave

SequSpur
11-11-2005, 04:57 PM
We need a Rasho Nesterovic Billboard.

nkdlunch
11-11-2005, 06:07 PM
"Lebron Honored" what the fuck was he honored for???? itsn't a little to early for that?

Sasha
11-11-2005, 06:11 PM
"Lebron Honored" what the fuck was he honored for???? itsn't a little to early for that?

:elephant

Hey, this is the great US of A - he's honored for making a shitload of money and for being a celebrity! He doesn't have to do anything else, does he?

1Parker1
11-11-2005, 06:19 PM
I kind of like the slogan "We Are All Witnesses" to go along with the photo...

BTW, I can't seem to recall the MJ poster..what was the slogan for that one? Anyone have the pic?

milkyway21
11-11-2005, 07:58 PM
We need a Rasho Nesterovic Billboard.
one Dallas Maverick fan will get mad:D

hussker
11-11-2005, 08:04 PM
YOU MAKE THE CALL...
1) Giant poster
or
2) RINGS

milkyway21
11-11-2005, 10:02 PM
YOU MAKE THE CALL...
1) Giant poster
or
2) RINGS

i'd go for a statue of the Admiral in front of the SBC center

TDMVPDPOY
11-11-2005, 11:28 PM
that was a miss dunk actually

milkyway21
11-11-2005, 11:41 PM
that was a miss dunk actually...huh! so we are witnesses of a player missing a dunk

Great! :lol

milkyway21
11-12-2005, 03:33 AM
YOU MAKE THE CALL...
1) Giant poster
or
2) RINGS

you can see the answer on Mike Wilks', Texas-wide smile... :spin

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/pod_051107.jpg
Coach Popovich presents former Spur Mike Wilks with his 2005 NBA Championship ring before the Spurs-Cavs game.

makes LeBron more pumped up to win that ring....

jochhejaam
11-12-2005, 09:40 AM
The city is sucking up to Lebron so he doesn't flee to a big market team when his contract with the Cavs expires.
Probably a good move by Cleveland but if Lebron wants to go that isn't going to keep him there.