PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Nuggets - Jan. 29, 2021

timvp
01-30-2021, 01:05 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-denver-nuggets-game-19/

Another good win :tu

Amuseddaysleeper
01-30-2021, 01:14 AM
I still can’t believe they are doing all this without White. This is also one of most aesthetically pleasing Spurs teams to watch of the last ten years.

PhantomDashCam
01-30-2021, 01:17 AM
Dr. Derozan. Love it. :tu

tbdog
01-30-2021, 01:28 AM
Probably the best win of the season. Hopefully they don't lay an egg on Memphis. Unfortunately I believe pop's game plan against star point guards are far worse than when the team's star is a big.

BillMc
01-30-2021, 03:29 AM
Missed the game again so really appreciate these grades! :bobo

TDomination
01-30-2021, 03:35 AM
Awesome win!

you can just see the difference from last years team!

Philthemage
01-30-2021, 03:51 AM
Aldridge looks absolutely awful. Watching him move is like watching a geriatric running in the park. He couldn't muster the energy to get in front of Jokic who isn't even fast...

Philthemage
01-30-2021, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the grades as usual, great writeup!

tbdog
01-30-2021, 04:31 AM
At what point do we become seriously concerned that LMA is done?

John B
01-30-2021, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Keldon needs an A+ with his offensive rebounding and timely attacking the rim, that energized the team. Also Patty A+ with his best defense on a switch. I never really saw him got picked by a bigger opponent, he held his own but of course with great help defense as well from his team mates. And Murray also with A+ for continually making great decisions, also with timely steal. While at it, Pop also with A+ with getting the team aggressive from the get go.

That was a great team effort. I would’ve like Aldridge to have contributed more, maybe attacking Jokic who was in foul trouble early but it never happened. He sure lost a lot of his physicality, especially on Defense. That brings us to Poeltl. Chip needs a lot of work getting his FT or other teams will hack-a-Jak him to kill momentum’s. Lonnie needs confidence to attack his slower defender. The kid is just so talented but keeping it bottled in.

Overall, it was a very satisfactory win as Spurs outmuscled a much bigger team. Great stuff. GSG! :flag:

Davidicus2
01-30-2021, 05:44 AM
To think Vassell is only 20 years old, playing this well and getting this kind of exposure

John B
01-30-2021, 06:02 AM
To think Vassell is only 20 years old, playing this well and getting this kind of exposure
I think Vassell could very well guard opponents long players. He held his own against Porter and he’s 6’10? On paper Porter has 9 points and 4 rebounds but wasn’t really a big factor as I thought he would be.

JPB
01-30-2021, 07:17 AM

He obviously will at some point but we kind of had this conversation for the last 3 years, where LMA was looking horrible during the first couple of months of the season before bouncing back and putting up good stats.

Maybe he's cruising, maybe it takes more time as he gets older to assimilate his physical preparation or maybe he's not physically ready and it takes 20-30 games that to get him in rythm... I don't know. He may also have mentally checked out, with all the youg studs taking more control around, but I don't exclude him giving us a good second part of the season.

sananspursfan21
01-30-2021, 07:33 AM
One of my favorite wins. I know it’s been almost two years but anytime the Spurs can get a little revenge for that poorly officiated playoff series against the Nugs, I’m happy. This is so fun. Our guys are dropping a few dumb games, but they are rising to the occasion most nights and beating the best teams in the league. I expected a hard fighting team this year but I did not expect the level of execution I’m seeing. I think the big question moving forward is; can one of these young guys become a star to build around? KJ? Vassell?

tbdog
01-30-2021, 07:52 AM
He obviously will at some point but we kind of had this conversation for the last 3 years, where LMA was looking horrible during the first couple of months of the season before bouncing back and putting up good stats.

Maybe he's cruising, maybe it takes more time as he gets older to assimilate his physical preparation or maybe he's not physically ready and it takes 20-30 games that to get him in rythm... I don't know. He may also have mentally checked out, with all the youg studs taking more control around, but I don't exclude him giving us a good second part of the season.

LMA looked pretty happy and supportive on the bench.

I know he usually looks poor at the start, but that's poor compared to allstar LMA. He can't get on the court for big stretches at the moment. That is worrisome. I know he had a large 9 months off so things might need to take time, but that always seemed to be on the offensive end. He looks dreadful on D. He isn't rebounding.

tbdog
01-30-2021, 07:53 AM
I think the big question moving forward is; can one of these young guys become a star to build around? KJ? Vassell?

More needs to go right for them to get there. But they on track. I still think Walker has the best upside if he ever gets it going.

John B
01-30-2021, 07:54 AM

Agreed. And not to mention Pop could also keeping him fresh for the long haul with his reduced minutes and not playing a lot of post. It will slow down come playoff (if Spurs are lucky to get in), and they would need a go to to score in critical possessions. I just hope he got the legs and tank when that comes, it would help him get a last good contact, hopefully not with the Spurs :lol:lol

Walton Buys Off Me
01-30-2021, 08:16 AM
Best win of the season all things considered IMO

Great write-up timvp

Keldon Johnson is a man

Don’t sleep on these Spurs

GAustex
01-30-2021, 10:07 AM
Its always fun to read the grades. That was a fun game to watch.
I recall the rebound that Mills snagged.
He was not visible from the camera angle and i was sure it was DJM or Keldon or Walker.
When Mills popped into view with the ball I was amazed that he got up for the contested rebound-good writing.
Thanks for the continued effort on the grades and a fun website

Mugen
01-30-2021, 10:48 AM
Pop having the young core (including a healthy DWhite) for most of last season....and still playing Bryn more minutes than all of them :lmao

Spursfanfromafar
01-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Wins like these and you start thinking what are the Spurs missing from becoming a contender. We Spurs fans are spoilt!

But, to keep things in perspective, the Spurs' young-in core is right on track in reaching their fullest potential.

John B
01-30-2021, 11:19 AM
The best moment was during timeout on their way to the bench, Demar was walking behind Keldon and Murray who were celebrating and Demar watching them with a chuckle. It’s nice to see that this team is having fun out there.

RC_Drunkford
01-30-2021, 11:45 AM
Wins like these and you start thinking what are the Spurs missing from becoming a contender. We Spurs fans are spoilt!

But, to keep things in perspective, the Spurs' young-in core is right on track in reaching their fullest potential.

an athletic PF and a mobile C who can protect the rim and shoot the 3

JPB
01-30-2021, 12:00 PM

That team seems to have a interesting future and a clear direction now beyond this season with that bunch of good an (apparently) stable young guys. Which is pretty remarkable, so soon in the aftermaths of the Nephew shitshow that completely fucked up the club's initial long term plan having him perpetuating Spurs contention window.

Many teams would have scrambled big time losing a top 3 player, which Spurs somehow did a little, but after one transition year to recover and define a new path, Spurs are back in the mix with a clear short and long term direction. There will be setbacks and that'll require patience but when you see what this team can do now and consider the huge place for improvement both individually and as a team... Spurs fans can get past the disenchantment and bitterness that #2 generated to hope back again.

GAustex
01-30-2021, 12:03 PM
Pop having the young core (including a healthy DWhite) for most of last season....and still playing Bryn more minutes than all of them :lmao
That and the Carroll signing tied with getting used by Morris. How soon they forget

Mr. Body
01-30-2021, 12:03 PM

I think it's likely he's close to done. He's still turning in good games, but Timmy dropped off hard near the middle-end of his last season and everyone knew it was over. Fortunately (for us) his contract is ending at the same time. If he wants to continue, a team might sign him as a mentor or spot duty, but it does look like the end is close. Still think he has good games up ahead.

offset formation
01-30-2021, 12:46 PM
I think it's likely he's close to done. He's still turning in good games, but Timmy dropped off hard near the middle-end of his last season and everyone knew it was over. Fortunately (for us) his contract is ending at the same time. If he wants to continue, a team might sign him as a mentor or spot duty, but it does look like the end is close. Still think he has good games up ahead.

He'd be getting moved to the bench already if Poeltl had any offensive range whatsoever, given his defensive skills. But not many guys at 36 are still capable of dropping 28 pts. He definitely still has some stellar games ahead of him. And we shouldn't be too harsh on him given this dude made a potential HOF career out of banging on the blocks and down low and now basically lives beyond the 3 pt line, but still produces occasionally with big games. Think he's lead them in scoring still 4 times this year out of 19 games, and he missed 4 games too. So he's not washed just yet.

Spursfanfromafar
01-30-2021, 12:51 PM
That team seems to have a interesting future and a clear direction now beyond this season with that bunch of good an (apparently) stable young guys. Which is pretty remarkable, so soon in the aftermaths of the Nephew shitshow that completely fucked up the club's initial long term plan having him perpetuating Spurs contention window.

Many teams would have scrambled big time losing a top 3 player, which Spurs somehow did a little, but after one transition year to recover and define a new path, Spurs are back in the mix with a clear short and long term direction. There will be setbacks and that'll require patience but when you see what this team can do now and consider the huge place for improvement both individually and as a team... Spurs fans can get past the disenchantment and bitterness that #2 generated to hope back again.

Well said. Yeah. I completely agree. The Spurs' developmental and coaching staff have actually worked on making even the lopsided Nephew trade more and more palatable over time. DeRozan is really hyper-efficient on offense (even if he gives up a lot on defense), Keldon is a beast in the making and Poeltl is a serviceable big who does the little things that help the guard corps do their thing in the drive/kick/pass motion offense system. The Spurs have shown the way that building via the Draft without overt tanking, while painstaking, is still a viable way to push towards contention. And that is a very good thing for Spurs fans.

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-30-2021, 12:55 PM
LMA looked pretty happy and supportive on the bench.

I know he usually looks poor at the start, but that's poor compared to allstar LMA. He can't get on the court for big stretches at the moment. That is worrisome. I know he had a large 9 months off so things might need to take time, but that always seemed to be on the offensive end. He looks dreadful on D. He isn't rebounding.

Exactly. Aldridge was cheering as much as anybody else on the bench last night.

I honestly think he just might be done physically. He isn’t getting any younger and it wasn’t like he was the fleetest of foot when he was younger. Lmao. But as long as he gives effort and hits shots on offense he can help a little.

hopefully we are wrong though and he is just assimilating to the team defense or something.

Dejounte
01-30-2021, 12:58 PM
That back to back to back to back defense and offense triggered by our young guns in the 4th was B E A U T I F U L

D-Robinson 50 fan
01-30-2021, 12:58 PM
The best moment was during timeout on their way to the bench, Demar was walking behind Keldon and Murray who were celebrating and Demar watching them with a chuckle. It’s nice to see that this team is having fun out there.

i seen that and laughed also. It seems like he really likes being around them and they like being around each other which is good.

I know a lot of folks hate DeRozan on here but he really isn’t a bad player. He has his flaws but he is far from a scrub. I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays with the Spurs. If we make the playoffs I seriously can seen the front office trying to keep him which I know is gonna piss a lot of folks on here off. LMAO

heyheymymy
01-30-2021, 01:00 PM
Imagine when White gets in rhythm

Imagine if Aldridge wakes up (gets in shape)?

Imagine if Vassel still has some immediate ceiling left?

Holy shit

heyheymymy
01-30-2021, 01:04 PM
Saw Walker fight up and over a screen very capably at one point last night too. And then Poetl just bodying ball handlers like a glove. Wow.

Dejounte
01-30-2021, 01:06 PM
https://twitter.com/spurs/status/1355575986067279876?s=19

John B
01-30-2021, 01:17 PM
Spurs fans can get past the disenchantment and bitterness that #2 generated to hope back again.
No I still hate Nephew. F@ck Kawhi! :lol

Dejounte
01-30-2021, 01:42 PM
https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defensive-impact/?sort=DEF_RIM_FG_PCT&dir=-1

We're #1 in DFG% (lowest allowed)

and

that's with the Spurs giving the 2nd most FG attempts to their opponent

Holy shit, boys

pad300
01-30-2021, 02:47 PM

He's expiring and we have no realistic championship hopes this year... We become seriously concerned when considering [if/how much] he gets offered to re-sign (currently, I wouldn't offer more than a vet min; it's what he can expect elsewhere) .

Truckules
01-30-2021, 03:00 PM
https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/defensive-impact/?sort=DEF_RIM_FG_PCT&dir=-1

We're #1 in DFG% (lowest allowed)

and

that's with the Spurs giving the 2nd most FG attempts to their opponent

Holy shit, boys

If you look at the glossary, it says the following for DFG%: Field Goals Defended at Rim Percent. So this appears to only be for shots at the rim. I decided look at the individual player stats to see why this is.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense-dash-lt6/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612759&sort=PLUSMINUS&dir=-1

Surprise surprise, it's largely because of Poeltl.

Dejounte
01-30-2021, 03:43 PM
https://twitter.com/DanWeissPBP/status/1355612542740140032

Allan Rowe vs Wade
01-30-2021, 04:11 PM
Spurs fans can get past the disenchantment and bitterness that #2 generated to hope back again.

No I still hate Nephew. F@ck Kawhi! :lol

Yeah if he shows up at my local Taco Cabana I'm hocking a loogie into his salsa

cjw
01-30-2021, 08:05 PM

To be fair, they aren’t in a position to draft Vassell without Bryan sopping up those minutes.

Mugen
01-30-2021, 08:08 PM
To be fair, they aren’t in a position to draft Vassell without Bryan sopping up those minutes.

CIA POP!