PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs vs. Timberwolves - Feb. 3, 2021

timvp
02-04-2021, 12:07 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-minnesota-timberwolves-game-22/

Ugly start, nice finish. :tu

Dejounte
02-04-2021, 12:18 AM
Lonnie needs to find ways to get in better rhythm. It's clear he can have a Ray Allen type role for this team; I've seen him become wide open on numerous occasions... He just doesn't make them. This offseason he needs to go to work with someone like JJ Reddick.

Dejounte
02-04-2021, 12:20 AM
https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/status/1357196620430004225?s=19

Sad Lyles

Degoat
02-04-2021, 12:23 AM
Lonnie needs to find ways to get in better rhythm. It's clear he can have a Ray Allen type role for this team; I've seen him become wide open on numerous occasions... He just doesn't make them. This offseason he needs to go to work with someone like JJ Reddick.

I agree he needs to simplify his game some, take 3s and cut to the basket mainly. Idk see why he couldn’t be like the guy on the opposite end of the court Malik Beasley

baseline bum
02-04-2021, 12:24 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san-antonio-spurs-minnesota-timberwolves-game-22/

Ugly start, nice finish. :tu

Bend over, I'll show you a nice finish.

spurs10
02-04-2021, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the grades and thank goodness for the win!

J_Paco
02-04-2021, 02:06 AM

Sad Lyles

ST is down on him and I guess people think he isn't a NBA player, but he has the skills (rebounding, three-point shooting & driving) to carve out a niche off the bench with someone.

I think he proved that last year and unfortunately the pandemic fucked everything up for him. Right when he was really hitting his stride and scoring like in Denver & Utah (with better efficiency, I think).

Pop has always done well with reclamation projects (Antonio Daniels, Stephen Jackson, etc.) & I wouldn't be too made if they kept Lyles around as a backup.

Or if not that, I hope he's shown enough improvement (over his terrible run in Utah) to get another contract elsewhere.

siraulo23
02-04-2021, 02:09 AM
when the Spurs were down double digits and Lyles started making some plays i was like we winning this game :lol

John B
02-04-2021, 02:46 AM
Thanks Timvp. It was an ugly game but the Spurs were lucky to squick one in. Their defense were non-existent for the 1st 3 quarters, but thankfully they decided to show up in the 4th. This team is very bad at protecting the 3, very bad. It’s not coincidental, but our worst loses were due to the opponents lighting it up from the 3. Spurs are just bad protecting them. It should be addressed every game. Also they have been slow to start, and always find themselves catching up while the opponent has built enough confidence.
Keldon needs to attack the rim from the get go and set the aggressive tone. His energy is so infectious that he needs to get the guys rallied up from the very start.
Poeltl needs to bottle that and play like that every game. His moving great without the ball, making decisive cuts. And was great to see that freethrow fall in for him.
Demar was a stud. He basically put the team on his shoulder and decided that the Spurs are winning this game
White is a great facilitator with 8 assists. But eclipsing Lonnie even more. Lonnie us so passive, he’s just a 5th body with no impact on the game. Attack the rim Lonnie.
Trey wasn’t bad. At least he plays better defense than Aldridge.
DJ’s 3’s are looking better and better.
Pop I like his 4th quarter coaching, except the very last possession with Mills in for the last defensive stand. That should’ve been Vassell.
All in all, I’m glad our boys were able to bounce back to feel a little good. They played real good defense in the last quarter, allowing only 18th points. They need to watch that over and over

exstatic
02-04-2021, 07:55 AM
The defense shone in the 4th, because they literally switched at every opportunity. That was only possible because our big spots were manned by Poodle and Lyles, and not LMA and Rudy. We don’t need LMA and Rudy’s scoring. Every one of our youngsters can, and has dropped 20 on a given night.

RC_Drunkford
02-04-2021, 08:18 AM
The defense shone in the 4th, because they literally switched at every opportunity. That was only possible because our big spots were manned by Poodle and Lyles, and not LMA and Rudy. We don’t need LMA and Rudy’s scoring. Every one of our youngsters can, and has dropped 20 on a given night.

we did the same shit in the 4th against Dallas with LMA and Rudy. This team can tighten up the D in the 4th, but somehow can't play D in the first 3

duncan2k5
02-04-2021, 08:54 AM
I think we are overreacting... We barely won a game vs the worst team in the NBA... without their best player... No... Lyle's isn't suddenly good, no, DeMar didn't suddenly become a superstar that can take us on deep playoff runs (shoot, we MISSED the playoffs with him)... Let's not feel like we can build upon what we have... We all know who needs to be traded and who needs to stay...

rankingtear
02-04-2021, 09:35 AM
I think we are overreacting... We barely won a game vs the worst team in the NBA... without their best player... No... Lyle's isn't suddenly good, no, DeMar didn't suddenly become a superstar that can take us on deep playoff runs (shoot, we MISSED the playoffs with him)... Let's not feel like we can build upon what we have... We all know who needs to be traded and who needs to stay...

Nobody wants to go insane waiting for a mid season trade from the spurs.

cd98
02-04-2021, 11:05 AM

Sad Lyles

At least he's not pretending he has an injury and hiding from the team in NY.

pad300
02-04-2021, 11:28 AM
I'm in the minority here, no doubt ... but for the right price, I would happily resign Lyles. $12M over 3 years or something like that (that's $12M total, not per year). There's 15 spots on the team; he's a 9th man-ish body who can play 4, small ball 5, and if really pressed some 3.5. He's also demonstrating that he can keep his ego under control. For that price, to fill that roster spot, we could do a lot worse...

itzsoweezee
02-04-2021, 11:32 AM

A voice of reason. Thank you

D-Robinson 50 fan
02-04-2021, 11:47 AM
The defense played a whole lot better in the 4th and we were getting fouls called in our favor. It’s a damn shame that we had to fight that hard against a banged up, not very good team to get a win.

for all DeRozan’s faults some of these playoff teams should really be looking at how he has played while being in San Antonio and try to add him to their roster. This team seriously needs to be sellers at the trade deadline but sadly they will not be.

Fusternino
02-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Yeah, Lyles needs to start getting more minutes. Been saying it the entire year . . .

ginobilized
02-04-2021, 12:34 PM
A win is a win, glad we got it.
The 4th qtr defense by the Spurs was better. The 4th qtr defense by the T-wolves was non-existent.
Not sure how they could’ve defended any worse.

It’s good to see a comeback and this team has such good chemistry that will only get better.
The talent, however, not enough of it to expect too much.

Hope they bring it vs Houston.

Sugus
02-04-2021, 02:44 PM
Guess I'll be the first to shout out a much-needed good performance from Poeltl. 19pts on 9-10 FG, 8/1/1/4blks with only 1 TO in 34 (!) minutes. Of course, just like DD's 30, it doesn't mean much against the KAT-less wolves, but it's still worth the mention. Hope the team can bring some intensity for next game at Houston, because if they come out into the first half like they did this game, they're getting stomped.

exstatic
02-04-2021, 03:39 PM
A voice of reason. Thank you

I’m sad for you.

exstatic
02-04-2021, 03:41 PM
I'm in the minority here, no doubt ... but for the right price, I would happily resign Lyles. $12M over 3 years or something like that (that's $12M total, not per year). There's 15 spots on the team; he's a 9th man-ish body who can play 4, small ball 5, and if really pressed some 3.5. He's also demonstrating that he can keep his ego under control. For that price, to fill that roster spot, we could do a lot worse...

People bash him unnecessarily. The reality is that not everyone will be a star or even a 20ppg scorer. He shoots, rebounds well, and can switch and close out on defense.