PDA

View Full Version : Five plays

exstatic
02-06-2021, 10:37 PM
Houston was called for 3 Ts, and we made each FT. On two defensive possessions, after the whistle calling a foul, Poodle and Eubanks each went up to block a shot to prevent an and1. In each case, the shooter made 1 FT, turning two possible 3 point possessions into two 1 point possessions.

This is why the Spurs draft smart, team oriented players. They don’t do dumb things, and do smart things. A couple of dumb plays, or a couple less smart plays, and we lose this game.

Mugen
02-06-2021, 10:41 PM
Yet, a coach's challenge that would guarantee an extra possession (and take away 2 points from the opposition) are never a thing with the coaching staff. :lol

KimmyGib
02-06-2021, 10:48 PM
On two defensive possessions, after the whistle calling a foul, Poodle and Eubanks each went up to block a shot to prevent an and1.

It's funny that players don't do this more often. I mean, why the hell are guys pulling down their hands and backing up when the whistle gets blown, thereby giving up an easy continuation shot. Trying to make the ref rethink his decision or something? Why not just complete the the foul/block to make sure they don't get an and-1... Dummies.

C-Dub
02-06-2021, 11:06 PM
I wonder why Pop never challenge a play. It's kinda weird that he doesn't, like he's to much into the game and I guess just forgets all about it. I've seen opposing players go to their coach on multiple occasions asking them to challenge the play. I've never seen a Spurs player go to Pop after a play that they clearly know was the wrong call and ask Pop to challenge it. Maybe Pop told his players to never come to him with that stuff because he fills that it would be showing up the Refs, I don't know but it doesn't make sense that he rarely challenge a play. I do recall Becky going to Pop once before pretty much urging Pop to review a play and he did.

Chinook
02-06-2021, 11:12 PM
It's funny that players don't do this more often. I mean, why the hell are guys pulling down their hands and backing up when the whistle gets blown, thereby giving up an easy continuation shot. Trying to make the ref rethink his decision or something? Why not just complete the the foul/block to make sure they don't get an and-1... Dummies.

Technically, if a player is fouled after the whistle (meaning fouled again), then it should be a tech in addition to the free throws. So preventing the shot isn't actually a free or smart play all of the time.

And players do block shots on and-1s all the time. It's not rare or something that only smart teams do. But often, fouls are taken because there isn't help defense available. When that happens, obviously there isn't someone just hanging around to block the shot.

To the OP, yes, it's nice that SA doesn't have many folks who get techs. They do have one, though, and those techs have reduced the team's chances of winning games this year, if not led to a couple of losses.

John B
02-07-2021, 11:39 AM
Because Poeltl and Eubanks have defensive mentalities to block shots. It’s also smart not to let the opponent sees the ball going in and get them in any sort of rhythm.