PDA

View Full Version : Kevin O'Connor: The Ringer: Power Rankings: Can Anyone Catch the Lakers?

Drom John
02-08-2021, 12:21 PM
Power Rankings: Can Anyone Catch the Lakers? (https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/8/22271901/power-rankings-lakers-clippers-sixers-jazz)

12. San Antonio Spurs | PR: 19
Are the Spurs better off without LaMarcus Aldridge?

Last Monday, I wrote about the development of San Antonio’s young players and DeMar DeRozan’s surprisingly analytics-happy game. One player I didn’t get into all that much was Aldridge, who head coach Gregg Popovich said will be “out for a while” with a hip injury. No one ever wants to see a player get hurt, and definitely not one who is 35 years old. But the Spurs are better off without the veteran.

The Spurs hemorrhage points when Aldridge shares the floor with DeRozan, allowing 120.4 points per 100 possessions this season, per NBA Advanced Stats. Without Aldridge, that number improves to 104.8 because center Jakob Poeltl, his replacement, is a far superior defender. Poeltl makes a limited offensive impact but his lower usage also means more possessions get funneled to DeRozan, who has become one of the league’s most efficient scorers.

DeRozan scored 30 points in each of the two games the Spurs played this past week without Aldridge. On the season, he’s averaging 20.5 points with a career-high true shooting percentage. Here’s the difference with and without Aldridge, per 36 minutes:
DeRozan, With and Without Aldridge
DeRozan stats With Aldridge Without Aldridge
Points 18.6 25.6
Shot Attempts 11.8 18.2
Assists 6.5 7.7

For as long as Aldridge is out, DeRozan could be an under-the-radar target for daily fantasy lineups. And in the process, the Spurs will probably win more games.

John B
02-08-2021, 12:36 PM
I think the Lakers are not as favorite this year. Obviously there's the Clippers, Nets, Bucks, Jazz, Nuggets.

Regarding your post on the Spurs, I agree the Spurs are better off without Aldridge. If ever he plays back, they should have him come in from the bench and for offense. Maybe hide him in a small ball with great defensive help. But to go up against starting bigs, it's a sorry sight to see.

Mr. Body
02-08-2021, 01:01 PM
Lakers are favorites because it's a lousy time for the league in general. No top teams, COVID wrecking shit, and LeBron's PEDs. This Lakers team would get obliterated by any championship squad over the last twenty years.

Rummpd
02-08-2021, 03:56 PM
Lakers are favorites because it's a lousy time for the league in general. No top teams, COVID wrecking shit, and LeBron's PEDs. This Lakers team would get obliterated by any championship squad over the last twenty years.

Agree about LeBron he is using much more likely than not

rjv
02-08-2021, 04:52 PM
i think there is an upper echelon of teams at this moment and the lakers are still the favorite but there is no clear-cut dominant team at the moment. so, yes, there are several teams that can catch the lakers.

Dejounte
02-08-2021, 05:10 PM
LeBron has 1-2 years left before he's LMA territory. After that, you start planning to be competitive against Giannis' team or maybe Nephew's.

daslicer
02-08-2021, 05:27 PM
LeBron has 1-2 years left before he's LMA territory. After that, you start planning to be competitive against Giannis' team or maybe Nephew's.

Hard to say when Lebron will drop off from being a superstar. He could have Karl Malone longevity and be effective until he's 40.

Dejounte
02-08-2021, 05:29 PM
Hard to say when Lebron will drop off from being a superstar. He could have Karl Malone longevity and be effective until he's 40.

I really hope not.

daslicer
02-08-2021, 05:35 PM
I really hope not.

I feel the same way.

The Truth #6
02-08-2021, 06:07 PM

That seems a bit soon. Granted, at advanced NBA age players can suddenly fall off a cliff, but I can't see Lebron being as bad as LMA next year or the next. I mean, Lebron has been a complete unicorn in his ability to avoid injuries for his career. He had that one significant injury with the Lakers, but otherwise, nothing I can think of. If anything, one of his injuries (where he had his arm wrapped after losing in the Finals) seemed actually bogus and not even an injury. The dude is an Iron Man.

Joseph Kony
02-08-2021, 06:09 PM
LeBron is going to be an all-star at 40, y'all crazy if you think he's turning into current LMA anytime soon :lol

Down Under
02-08-2021, 06:18 PM
I feel like the absolute best version of this team is the current starting lineup, with Aldridge as the backup 5. Would be a very hard conversation for Pop, but you never know. The way he's moving, it looks as though there would be very little interest for him beyond this season.

MannyIsGod
02-08-2021, 06:19 PM
Lebron is not turning into LMA. He actually takes care of his body.

exstatic
02-08-2021, 06:45 PM
Lebron is not turning into LMA. He actually takes care of his body.

Well, if you consider large doses of HGH taking care of your body, okay then.

Trainwreck2100
02-08-2021, 06:51 PM
LeBron is going to be an all-star at 40, y'all crazy if you think he's turning into current LMA anytime soon :lol

yeah, like somehow he's just gonna quit his PEDs in two years :lol who knows what next gen shit he's on

daslicer
02-08-2021, 06:54 PM
yeah, like somehow he's just gonna quit his PEDs in two years :lol who knows what next gen shit he's on

I guess the question is how long can he last with the PEDs. I still like to believe that this guy will not be here until he's 45. That's pretty depressing.

rjv
02-08-2021, 07:24 PM

lebron's been the same age for almost 20 years now. i think he's from the same lab that brady's from.

B1gduff
02-08-2021, 07:34 PM
Reportly Davis is dealing with Achilles tendinosis. It'll be intesting to see how sever it is.

Could miss a week or a month.

daslicer
02-08-2021, 07:35 PM
Reportly Davis is dealing with Achilles tendinosis. It'll be intesting to see how sever it is.

I had achilles tendinitis once don't know if it's the same thing but it took me 6 weeks to heal from it.

Russ
02-08-2021, 07:51 PM
ESPN has the Spurs at #10 and likes DeRozan and White playing together:

10. San Antonio Spurs
2020-21 record: 13-10
Previous ranking: 13T

DeMar DeRozan is averaging a career high in assists (6.6), true shooting percentage (60.7%) and free throw percentage (88.4%) and has nearly as many 3-pointers this season (14) as he had in his first two years combined in San Antonio (16). His team has a minus-3.8 net rating with him on the court, but when DeRozan is on the floor with guard Derrick White, things are changing. The duo has played 76 minutes together this season and are sporting a plus-12.0 net rating. -- Lopez

This week: GS, GS, @ATL, @CHA

Dejounte
02-08-2021, 07:54 PM
I don't think people realize how much LeBron has regressed... He rarely goes 50 mph towards the rim anymore. It's his vision and IQ keeping him as a top player in the game. I agree he won't fall off the cliff like LMA, but I think he'll age gracefully like Jason Kidd and accept smaller albeit impactful roles over time.

itzsoweezee
02-08-2021, 07:56 PM
Lol at the delusional Lebron hate. Dude is going to be the mvp, again. If he and AD are healthy, they are an unmatched duo.

daslicer
02-08-2021, 11:49 PM
I don't think people realize how much LeBron has regressed... He rarely goes 50 mph towards the rim anymore. It's his vision and IQ keeping him as a top player in the game. I agree he won't fall off the cliff like LMA, but I think he'll age gracefully like Jason Kidd and accept smaller albeit impactful roles over time.

His improved 3 point shooting is what has extended his career. He can't attack the basket on every possession like he did when he was younger but by being able to hit 3's at a high rate it allows him to conserve energy

Mr. Body
02-08-2021, 11:53 PM
Lol at the delusional Lebron hate. Dude is going to be the mvp, again. If he and AD are healthy, they are an unmatched duo.

They're unmatched because the league has no top teams right now. It's a dead era relatively. LBJ is great, Anthony Davis is just a coattailer. Dude could only get to the playoffs twice in his entire career by himself. So pathetic.

exstatic
02-08-2021, 11:58 PM

If you don’t let it heal properly, that’s when you can tear it.

BatManu20
02-09-2021, 01:48 AM