PDA

View Full Version : My Kidd info

goliath
07-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Take this for what its worth, but I had lunch today with a friend/co-worker whose father-in-law is a minority owner of the Spurs. This is what he told me:

1. Kidd is a done deal. It was termed as a "lock". Its been considered close to a done deal since the All-Star break. Both sides have made it known for a long time that they were each others clear first choice through an intermediary (ie Tim). Said both sides have been locked onto each other for a long, long time. Spurs would be completely shocked and stunned if he ended up not coming.

2. Jo was more of a contintengency plan than anything. Never really interested in him as a legitimate option (mainly b/c of Kidd)

3. $ figure still hasnt been set. He said Kidd is agreeable to taking less money to sign a legit big. I asked him about the 9.5 mil reported on SR. He said he didnt know the exact figures talked about, but from what he has heard he wouldnt be surprised. Alot depends on who they can sign and for how much. If they need Kidd to take 10.5 to clear room to sign PJ or ZO he will, or 9.5, ect, ect

Well, take this info for what its worth. All I can personally confirm is that he is related to a minority owner so he should know what hes talking about.

Oh...by the way....no his name is not Dusty:lol

Archie
07-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Hope so.

timvp
07-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Kidd taking less to open up room for PJ Brown or Zo would make this a very successful offseason.

But FA's seeking the MAX always get the MAX.

KoriEllis
07-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info. It's always great to have a little more insight and perspective.

But I know for a fact that some of the info in this post is incorrect.

I am not saying that Kidd isn't coming. But there is some incorrect info here.

spurster
Interesting. I wonder whether TD would be willing to take a little less, too.

CosmicCowboyXXX
yeah, that sounds too good to be true...but thanks for reporting it...

Archie
07-09-2003, 03:37 PM
IMO the Spurs shouldn't ask Kidd to take less outright...it's only if they lay out the cap situation and Kidd asks what he can do to help do they talk about that. Right now NJ is offering less than they can so the Spurs shouldn't think they can offer less outright too.

MI21
07-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info. It's always great to have a little more insight and perspective.

But I know for a fact that some of the info in this post is incorrect.

Tell us why it is wrong then?

Dont be a infohog!

:)

2pac
07-09-2003, 03:42 PM
I would love it if Kidd would take a couple million less.

Getting him without anyone decent in the middle would be miserable. If he took a ~2.5-3 million paycut, we could sign a PJ Brown or Olowakandi.

If you sign Kidd, Speedy is toast, and who cares?

If you sign Kidd, do you go over the cap to resign Jackson?

Will we ovver Kidd the full 6 years? I dont think his play will merit whatever he will be paid in 6 years, which would give us a terrible contract problem.

Whottt
07-09-2003, 03:49 PM
Hopefully he will let us trade his assssssss to GS in 2 years.

goliath
07-09-2003, 03:49 PM
He made it sound like that the $$$ has not been set yet. It was more like let us go talk to others (PJ/ZO, ect) and see what we can do. Then they'd go back to him and say we talked to Zo and if you agree to 10 instead of 12.5 we can get him, what do you say?

I didnt get the impression that Kidd had agreed to take less just that he was open to the idea and the Spurs were going to see what they could do.

50 Cent
07-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Its been considered close to a done deal since the All-Star break. Both sides have made it known for a long time that they were each others clear first choice through an intermediary (ie Tim). Said both sides have been locked onto each other for a long, long time. Spurs would be completely shocked and stunned if he ended up not coming.
Kori, maybe this is what you know to be incorrect, because I certainly do. Kidd wasn't and never has been the Spurs #1 choice.

Archie
07-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Don't be so sure, 50. Who did Pop fly to meet for dinner when the free agency period started?

Thank you.

Whottt
07-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Yeah but do you expect them to say that to Jason Kidd ?

I think Kidd was their top choice before we won an NBA title.

50 Cent
07-09-2003, 04:01 PM
I think Kidd was their top choice before we won an NBA title.
Nope, try again. He plays on the west coast.

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:01 PM
If he was unrestricted, sure. But he's not so Pop flew to NJ. End of discussion.

Spurminator
07-09-2003, 04:02 PM
I heard Kidd and Duncan are just fucking with us, and they're both going to sign with Miami.

goliath
07-09-2003, 04:05 PM

I would guess your talking about Brand. He may have been ideally there 1st choice in a perfect world, but the Spurs had to have known it was likely a pipe dream to get him, with him being a RFA.

I would think that when you take the player along with the likelyhood of us getting him, Kidd was, is and has been #1.

50 Cent
07-09-2003, 04:08 PM
Fine, believe what you want. The Spurs ownership group's #1 option this offseason has been a big man. I'm not saying that we aren't getting Kidd - nobody at this point in the negotiations really knows what is going on. I'm just saying he isn't/wasn't their #1 option.

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:08 PM
He's effectively their #1 with Brand being a RFA.

Ghost Writer
07-09-2003, 04:09 PM
This is encouraging.

It sucks that Payton will take $4.5 to play in LA and Malone will take $1.5 to play with Payton in LA, yet we have to hope Kidd will take $12 million and Brwon will take $4 million to play for us.

Ain't that a b1tch?

:cooldevil

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:12 PM
It'll be a bitch for LA if the Spurs add those two after the Lakers commit to a 35 year old and a 40 year old for the next 3 or 4 seasons or whatever.

Ghost Writer
07-09-2003, 04:13 PM
At the price they are paying for those two, I'd sign Payton and Malone in a heartbeat. You would, too, Mr. Plan D.

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Look at their payroll. They'll be bumping up against the lux tax threshold with that. They've shot their load. That's the cast they are going with until O'Neal leaves and the team rebuilds around Bryant.

Ghost Writer
07-09-2003, 04:17 PM
So what?

Shaq and Kobe won three title with Fisher, Fox and Horry for krissakes!

2pac
07-09-2003, 04:20 PM
They are gonna be dying with Lux Tax.

Shaq and Kobe break the salary cap by themselves. Add in 3 million to Fisher, 5 to GP, 5 to George, too much to Fox and everyone else, and you are paying through the nose.

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Well fucking A. The Spurs won a title with this cast and they lose an aging DRob and pick up an in his prime Kidd. But NOOOOOO, we can't have that because the Spurs wouldn't have a center. So the Spurs should blow their cap on Olowokandi.

Then you would bitch about the Spurs not adding great player talent like the Lakers.

You are such a fucking waste. If you want to be an annoying bitch I'm sure you can find a nice bull queer to pleasure.

Whottt
07-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Well fucking A. The Spurs won a title with this cast and they lose an aging DRob and pick up an in his prime Kidd. But NOOOOOO, we can't have that because the Spurs wouldn't have a center.

Silly us..imagine wanting a center when you have to go through Shaq to win a title:shootme

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Well great Whottt. You just pass on a Jason Kidd for Michael Fucking Olowokandi. So the Spurs won't lose because they don't have a 'center', instead they will lose because their offense sucks ass.

Nevermind the Spurs would have cap room to address the other starting bigman spot after they sign Kidd.

Go back to your crib.

2pac
07-09-2003, 04:33 PM
Kidd doesnt exactly fill the need left by the retirement of Drob does he?

Kandi has put up comparable numbers to DRob over the last two season.

Better?

Kandi:
11 points, 9 boards, 1.8 blocks
12 points, 9 boards, 2.1 blocks

DRob:
12 points, 8 boards, 1.8 blocks
8 points, 8 boards, 1.8 blocks

Whottt
07-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Kandi has not.

It's blasphemy to even mention DROB and Kandi in the same sentence.

Did you see Shaq hanging 61 points on DROB? I think not.

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:36 PM
:lol

Then WTF should the Spurs do you finicky bastard?

50 Cent
07-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Kandi + Maggette + SJax + Clax > Kidd

Whottt
07-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Sign GP, sell Brand on SA, get him to tell Sterling he is gonna walk so Sterling may as well load up on the Spurs 4 picks in the draft next year and Scola..Tell Kidd to go **** himself..Fill out the roster with Piaktowski, Horry, and Miller..

I hear GP can be had for less.

But that was then and this is now...

Now you get Kidd(**** me), get Oberto or Mourning you still gotta get some shooters.. let Kidd know you will be only too happy to send his nutriding ass on the quick bus to GS next year.

I have never wanted Kandi...

I want Steve Smith over Kandi mmkay? Like I have said, Kandi doesn't want to play ball, he is gonna tank and go home the minute he gets a contract...

I don't want the center Shaq scored his career high against desecrating the SBC Center.

And stay as far away from Malone as you can get.

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Kandi? :vomit

And if Maggette comes Jax is gone.

What you are really arguing is:

Kandi + Maggette + Clax > Kidd + PJBrown + Jax

...um, no.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Archie,

Why is it if we don't get Kidd you keep bringing up fucking Kandi?

Kori is already on record saying Kandi's not an option. Big men options = Zo, PJ, Brad Miller, Rasho.

Quit reaching so far out to make an argument man.

The luxury tax argument is moot, it will be taken out when the CBA is re-negotiated next year. LA will be paying a lot this year, but considering that they could have that group together for the next 2-3 years after 03-04 with no luxury tax that's one shrewd move on their part.

AHF

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:51 PM
Ok, then it's Nesterovic.

Kidd is the draw for Brown and Mourning.

And of course you want the Spurs to pass on a Kidd for any of them. Don't talk to me about reaching.

50 Cent
07-09-2003, 04:53 PM
And if Maggette comes Jax is gone.
Not necessarily. We have his early bird rights, meaning we could match up to the MLE to resign SJax, even if we are over the cap. Oh, and fine, you can substitute Zo or Rasho for Kandi if it makes you feel better. The team could look something like this if we signed SJax last:

Zo or Kandi or Rasho/Willis/Bateer
Timmy/Malik/Horry
Maggette/Bowen
Manu/SJax
Tony/Speedy/Kerr

I would be perfectly happy with that over Kidd and PJ Brown anyday. We would be very young, deep, and extremely athletic. That's why I liked Kandi over Zo (his youth), but not for more than 6M a year. I think Rasho sucks, but I still wouldn't mind that lineup. The Lakers are good with their starting 5, but definitely can't run with the depth of that team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Yes, silly me, PJ and Zo are following JKidd around like little puppy dogs, and couldn't give a damn less about getting paid.

In fact, I hear if Kidd signs PJ and Zo will pay to play here just so they can be around Jason.

Silly me for ever disagreeing, and thinking PJ or Zo would actually be willing to take some of that 16 million in cap room off our hands.

AHF

Archie
07-09-2003, 04:55 PM
SA is less attractive if Kidd doesn't come. Perhaps that doesn't jive with your silver and black view of the world but that's the way it is.

ChumpDumper
07-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Zo, PJ, Brad Miller, Rasho

If Kidd comes....

Zo: Might as well play for the $3.8 million--who's going to give him more outside of the Knicks, Mavs? Has said he wants to play with Kidd anyway.

PJ: Our competition is Cleveland, NOLA and Orlando. Give him the years.

Brad Miller: Ain't coming.

Rasho: Sorry Chad; not worth Bowen and Parker. The Knicks have the inside track if he's going to play for below market anyway-- unless you guys know of a Slovenian enclave in San Antonio of which I'm not aware.

Archie
07-09-2003, 05:00 PM
PJ Brown should be the primary target if Kidd signs. He's an efficient player, decent rebounder, good J, average shotblocker, etc.

MadeFromDust
07-10-2003, 07:33 AM
1. Kidd is a done deal. It was termed as a "lock". Then why was it reported that Kidd is asking Thorn to fire B. Scott and sign Zo so he can stay with the Nets?

Ghost Writer
07-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Archie, for me, it's still a tough decision between Kidd and nobody or Olowokandi and somebody.

I said that if we can get Kidd and fill the need at center, then to hell with Olowokandi.

You can't fault me for wanting a center to play alongside Duncan first and foremost.

It doesn't look like Brand or O'Neal are coming.

The Lakers have raised the bar.

As a matter of survival, I agree that we have to get Kidd and either entice a free agent like Brown to come here for $3-4 million or trade some of our talent for a starting quality center.

We have to get Kidd now and work something out in terms of a center.

Why?

We're not going to be dealing with the usual "Shaq + Kobe" equation in LA anymore.

Simply swapping Robinson for Olowokandi is not going to get it done anymore.