PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Peaks: Why Tim Duncan was one of the best ever

Dex
02-22-2021, 12:26 PM
Great little video about Duncan in his prime.

vhIS4wlLXk8

I miss Timmy :cry

Dejounte
02-22-2021, 12:42 PM
Amazing video. Thanks. 20 fucking years ago. Damn.

Also really entertaining to watch the breakdown of old Spurs defenses... So many intricacies. Will never understand the discredit to Pop given by some people here. He was an X's and O's mastermind.

Arcadian
02-22-2021, 01:43 PM
I instantly shared this video across social media when it was posted, because more people should know that Peak Duncan stands with ANY player in the history of the game.

This whole Greatest Peaks series on the Thinking Basketball channel is full of excellent analysis.

stephen jackson
02-22-2021, 01:52 PM
timmy never failed us, when we needed a bucket he got it :cry

barakz21
02-22-2021, 02:44 PM
timmy never failed us, when we needed a bucket he got it :cry

Except for that missed putback in game 5 of the finals against Detroit lol. Though, tbh I don’t really think much of that miss, considering how that series was going at that point. TD is, was and will always be among the game’s best.

stephen jackson
02-22-2021, 02:45 PM
Except for that missed putback in game 5 of the finals against Detroit lol. Though, tbh I don’t really think much of that miss, considering how that series was going at that point. TD is, was and will always be among the game’s best.
Well the 13 finals missed bunny too. Very rare tho

barakz21
02-22-2021, 04:07 PM

Huh. I.. missed that one.. lol I guess I remember the Detroit one more simply because of TD’s reaction of having missed that one.

TimD
02-22-2021, 05:01 PM
I generally enjoyed it. Having watched the Garnett one that came out before it, however, it seemed as though the takeaway was that Garnett was *slightly* better than TD at his peak, with a much worse supporting cast.

lefty20
02-22-2021, 05:03 PM
It is known!

J_Paco
02-22-2021, 06:30 PM
I generally enjoyed it. Having watched the Garnett one that came out before it, however, it seemed as though the takeaway was that Garnett was *slightly* better than TD at his peak, with a much worse supporting cast.

Yes, that seems to be his opinion if you listen to his Thinking Basketball podcast.

I do agree that Garnett's malleability, versatility & perimeter defensive skills are superior. Yet, Duncan's game was easier to construct championship teams around. And he was the more dominant interior scorer - apparently, Garnett was more efficient in the post - and his interior defense was superior.

I love both, but I'd take Timmy first every time in an all-time greats draft.

KobesAchilles
02-22-2021, 06:59 PM
2003 pretty much ended any debate between Garnet and Tim. Tim had arguably the weakest supporting cast of the era and is one of 4 players (I think it’s only 4) to win a championship without another all star on the team. People always say well Garnett would have the same amount of rings but that is a stupid argument seeing as Tim smacked Garnett out of the playoffs in 99. 2003, Garnett couldn’t get out of the first round with Tim’s team. And by 2005 the culture of the T-wolves was shot. Also he would’ve gotten punked by the Wallace brothers. The only ring I think Garnett could lead us to was in 2006 and 7. That’s it.

spurraider21
02-22-2021, 08:10 PM
2006 game 7 against Dallas. after manu fouled drik, duncan got fucking stonewalled by DeSagana Diop in OT :lol

1-7 shooting + a turnover in OT

stephen jackson
02-22-2021, 08:26 PM
2006 game 7 against Dallas. after manu fouled drik, duncan got fucking stonewalled by DeSagana Diop in OT :lol

1-7 shooting + a turnover in OTthat is true but diop coulda stopped wilt that day.

benefactor
02-22-2021, 08:38 PM
I'd say Dream had the greatest peak in NBA history, but Duncan was close tbh

J_Paco
02-22-2021, 08:58 PM
2003 pretty much ended any debate between Garnet and Tim. Tim had arguably the weakest supporting cast of the era and is one of 4 players (I think it’s only 4) to win a championship without another all star on the team. People always say well Garnett would have the same amount of rings but that is a stupid argument seeing as Tim smacked Garnett out of the playoffs in 99. 2003, Garnett couldn’t get out of the first round with Tim’s team. And by 2005 the culture of the T-wolves was shot. Also he would’ve gotten punked by the Wallace brothers. The only ring I think Garnett could lead us to was in 2006 and 7. That’s it.

Well, tell that to Ben Taylor cause it's 2021 and he's of the (informed & well thought out) opinion that they are close. And from watching the two videos (Garnett's & Duncan's) & listening to his podcast it seems he would take Garnett over TD.

I think it's closer in a lot of analysts and pundits minds whether Spur fans like it or not. And it'll likely only shrink as time goes by and Pop, Tony, Manu & Nephew end up in the hall of fame.

Mind you, I completely disagree and think Duncan is clearly the better player by a good margin.

J_Paco
02-22-2021, 09:00 PM

1-7 shooting + a turnover in OT

that is true but diop coulda stopped wilt that day.

Timmy clearly ran out of gas after carrying the team to an epic comeback. Can't blame him for eventually wearing out especially with how physical people were allowed to play him.

Hedgie
02-22-2021, 10:46 PM
Timmy clearly ran out of gas after carrying the team to an epic comeback. Can't blame him for eventually wearing out especially with how physical people were allowed to play him.

He had to be taken to hospital and put on a drip after the game to re-hydrate. He gave it everything.

TimD
02-22-2021, 11:55 PM
Another point: although this was unrelated to the question of Duncan’s peak, was it really fair for TB to downplay Tim’s offensive role in the 2005-2010ish Spurs offense? I recall Tim’s versatility being incredibly important in the 05 and 07 series against the Sun’s for instance.

TimD
02-22-2021, 11:58 PM
Also, I would like to see the context for TB’s statement about Tim’s midrange game. Even if Tim was a below league average Midrange shooter, is that adjusted for position? I feel like Tim was at the very least an above average midrange shooter for a power forward — adjusted for shot contests and the like.

i'm_still_beta
02-23-2021, 12:59 AM
I'd say Dream had the greatest peak in NBA history, but Duncan was close tbh
Just like I think :toast

RC_Drunkford
02-23-2021, 06:50 AM

Garnett was never better than Tim. Simply for the fact that he's not a first option like Tim. It was close back in the day, but Tim's rings speak for itself. KG had to ride Paul Pierce coat tails to get a chip

KobesAchilles
02-23-2021, 09:16 AM
Well, tell that to Ben Taylor cause it's 2021 and he's of the (informed & well thought out) opinion that they are close. And from watching the two videos (Garnett's & Duncan's) & listening to his podcast it seems he would take Garnett over TD.

I think it's closer in a lot of analysts and pundits minds whether Spur fans like it or not. And it'll likely only shrink as time goes by and Pop, Tony, Manu & Nephew end up in the hall of fame.

Mind you, I completely disagree and think Duncan is clearly the better player by a good margin.
It’s mainly bc it’s easy to say a blanket statement like KG would have the same amount of rings as TD if he had been drafted by the Spurs. But when you go year by year it’s almost impossible to back that up.
98-03? No
04 his mvp year? Nope Pop got out coached and nobody could hit an outside shot. KG wouldn’t have changed that. He also never would’ve hit that shot over Shaq
05? Nope.
06? pretty good chance for a ring
same For 07.
08 Manu was hurt and Lakers had Gasol so probably not
09 he was hurt and by 10 he was done

TimD
02-23-2021, 11:07 AM
I do believe that TD was better during their respective primes overall, but I don't think the 08 season qualifies here.

pad300
02-23-2021, 11:46 AM
He had to be taken to hospital and put on a drip after the game to re-hydrate. He gave it everything.

That's one I've never heard before. Do you have a link?

Proxy
02-23-2021, 02:32 PM
damn, yeah I just found this channel today and was going to post it if no where already. Really great listen, good shit

Proxy
02-23-2021, 02:33 PM
would be cool if they keep going beyond the elite GOAT players, I'd love to see one for Manu and Nash, or on coaches

Kawhitstorm
02-23-2021, 11:28 PM
Yes, that seems to be his opinion if you listen to his Thinking Basketball podcast.

I do agree that Garnett's malleability, versatility & perimeter defensive skills are superior. Yet, Duncan's game was easier to construct championship teams around. And he was the more dominant interior scorer - apparently, Garnett was more efficient in the post - and his interior defense was superior.

I love both, but I'd take Timmy first every time in an all-time greats draft.

Being a more “efficient” post scorer isn’t saying much when you rarely post up. It’s like comparing Embiid to Davis nowadays.

J_Paco
02-23-2021, 11:37 PM
Being a more “efficient” post scorer isn’t saying much when you rarely post up. It’s like comparing Embiid to Davis nowadays.

I totally agree and it isn't my argument, but thaose are his arguments and how I've interpreted them.

I definitely disagree with most of his argument of Garnett having superior "championship scalability" since Duncan won with disparately different rosters & schemes.

Kawhitstorm
02-23-2021, 11:43 PM
I totally agree and it isn't my argument, but thaose are his arguments and how I've interpreted them.

I definitely disagree with most of his argument of Garnett having superior "championship scalability" since Duncan won with disparately different rosters & schemes.

Garnett was basically the Gary Payton archetype, in that he was essentially able to do everything at a high level but wasn’t elite at anything specific on offense that would bend the defense. They also didn’t have the mentality to become volume scorers when necessary just like Sheed. They are all overqualified wingmen.

SpursDynasty85
02-25-2021, 11:11 AM
Great video of a basketball savant. Used to resent Duncan because he was taking shine away from Robinson but looking back, he was the near perfect player on and off the court. Would've made any team a contender because of this.

Thomas82
02-26-2021, 02:50 AM
To me, the fact that TD racked up most of his accomplishments on 1 leg just adds to his greatness.

lefty
02-26-2021, 03:30 PM
Used to resent Duncan because he was taking shine away from Robinson .
https://media4.giphy.com/media/cl36qUhQZL994eAm9O/source.gif

Arcadian
02-26-2021, 11:23 PM

You know why we don't have to worry about Garnett ever being remembered as better than Duncan?

Tim was 10x All-NBA First Team. Kevin was 4x. Same position and same timeframe, so they were in direct competition. And only ONE of Kevin's selections was not shared with Tim (2008), while Tim was chosen over Kevin 7 times.

Case closed.

Thomas82
02-27-2021, 04:59 AM
You know why we don't have to worry about Garnett ever being remembered as better than Duncan?

Tim was 10x All-NBA First Team. Kevin was 4x. Same position and same timeframe, so they were in direct competition. And only ONE of Kevin's selections was not shared with Tim (2008), while Tim was chosen over Kevin 7 times.

Case closed.

That's it and that's all!!

John B
02-27-2021, 09:29 AM
Already the greatest PF ever. But it bothers me to think that he could’ve been the greatest ever if nephew didn’t miss that with a better supporting cast like many so called superstars have today. Not getting the DPOY was a mockery and should be rectify somewhat when they name him in the HOF, that Timmy was one of the best defensive big that has ever played the game. While DRob made me a Spurs fan, Manu made me love the Spurs, I vould always count Timmy with “my Spurs would beat your best team,” because to me he was the best. My friend and I had an arguement who to draft as a franchise player knowing what we know now. He picked LeBron because of his 10 Finals appearance. I picked 19 straight, never missing one playoffs, 5-1 finals, no drama, no superstar diva, Timothy Theodore “The Big Fundamental” Duncan all day.

Dex
02-27-2021, 10:04 AM
Already the greatest PF ever. But it bothers me to think that he could’ve been the greatest ever if nephew didn’t miss that with a better supporting cast like many so called superstars have today. Not getting the DPOY was a mockery and should be rectify somewhat when they name him in the HOF, that Timmy was one of the best defensive big that has ever played the game. While DRob made me a Spurs fan, Manu made me love the Spurs, I vould always count Timmy with “my Spurs would beat your best team,” because to me he was the best. My friend and I had an arguement who to draft as a franchise player knowing what we know now. He picked LeBron because of his 10 Finals appearance. I picked 19 straight, never missing one playoffs, 5-1 finals, no drama, no superstar diva, Timothy Theodore “The Big Fundamental” Duncan all day.

Regardless of where you rank him, I put him as a Top 5 modern player. If you wanna go back through NBA history, there is a argument for top 10 with stiff competition...Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Magic, etc. Then you have the Durants and Currys who are trying to break into that list but I don't think they are there yet.

There are arguments to be made about how you want to arrange your list, but just to say that I got to watch the entire career of one of the best 5 players ever (in my mind) and witness 5 championships will always be satisfying.

Chomag
02-27-2021, 10:33 AM
Anyone arguing against that have either forgotten or never saw Tim in his prime. He was never a flashy scorer and would score allot of quiet points , there were games where I would think he had scored only 10 or so points but then I would look at the stats and see he had scored about 30, but also when needed he could take over the game at will and completely dominate a quarter or two, and even the full game if that was needed of him.

He is only lower in many people's minds because his mentality was always about the team and not about individual stats and achievements.

Thomas82
03-01-2021, 05:19 AM
Here's a nice PTR article from yesterday:

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2021/2/28/22306130/tim-duncan-quiet-demeaner-didnt-keep-him-from-dominating-the-nba?fbclid=IwAR1J3aVF19f2Y7gOlCB75QQnMqDVtsALVeDoX w6ZX1fcGFlyUCkSznI64yM

EricB
03-02-2021, 08:36 AM

dude was playing on a. Twice sprained ankle that during the season would’ve sat him about a month and was still putting up those numbers, against a defender in Wallace that defended him about the best ive ever seen him defended. I’m sure Timvp would remember a better or as equal one.

Thomas82
03-02-2021, 12:08 PM
dude was playing on a. Twice sprained ankle that during the season would’ve sat him about a month and was still putting up those numbers, against a defender in Wallace that defended him about the best ive ever seen him defended. I’m sure Timvp would remember a better or as equal one.

Actually, both of his ankles were sprained, which made his performance that much more impressive.

spurraider21
03-02-2021, 01:01 PM
Garnett was never better than Tim. Simply for the fact that he's not a first option like Tim. It was close back in the day, but Tim's rings speak for itself. KG had to ride Paul Pierce coat tails to get a chip
EHHHH

yeah he took a small step back when he changed teams at his age 31 season. duncan started taking a back seat around the same age too

garnett's wolves were pretty lacking for talent. the one year they had a good team by their standards it was Sprewell and Cassell

Thomas82
03-27-2021, 11:58 AM
That's one I've never heard before. Do you have a link?

I remember that happening as well. But as far as links go, this was all I could find:

https://www.spursdynasty.com/2006/06/spurs-have-nothing-to-apologize-for.html

RC_Drunkford
03-27-2021, 04:29 PM
EHHHH

yeah he took a small step back when he changed teams at his age 31 season. duncan started taking a back seat around the same age too

garnett's wolves were pretty lacking for talent. the one year they had a good team by their standards it was Sprewell and Cassell

the one year Duncan won the chip and beat the Lakers his 2nd best player was Stephen Jackson. Garnett as a first option never did anything

spurraider21
03-27-2021, 04:30 PM
the one year Duncan won the chip and beat the Lakers his 2nd best player was Stephen Jackson. Garnett as a first option never did anything
garnett made it to the WCF the year after that

enrique, manu, and even bowen averaged more ppg than jackson in the lakers series (the real finals)

tonight...you
03-27-2021, 05:49 PM
Great little video about Duncan in his prime.

vhIS4wlLXk8

I miss Timmy :cry
That made me emotional.

R. DeMurre
03-27-2021, 10:25 PM
I'd add two things:

1. Duncan usually had one of the best Block/Foul ratios in the NBA, so even when a few other bigs averaged more blocks per game, they rarely showed Duncan's extreme efficiency. No one was better at avoiding fouls on unrealistic block attempts than Duncan.

2. Duncan played his entire career for a very frugal owner. During the peak years of the Spurs vs the Lakers rivalry, the Lakers outspent the Spurs by many many millions of dollars. Stephen Jackson walked after '03 due to a small offer, and almost no major FAs headed to the unglamorous town of San Antonio. The '13 & '14 Miami Heat teams that the Spurs split championships with in back to back match ups also outspent them by a significant amount. Duncan's five rings are all the more amazing because it was done while being handcuffed by some of the most frugal ownership in the league.